Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Freedom Day with the PM and Chancellor self-isolating doesn’t send out the planned message – politic

124»

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742

The worst kind of scandal is one that goes with the grain of people's prejudices;

Savanta ComRes snap polling: 75% say it’s one rule for them and one for everyone else
    https://t.co/DmnkDkxlpe

The irony being that 87% of that 75% have broken rules as it suited them through the pandemic, because for them it was important.
    This is a much better over from Moeen Ali.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

That’s what Hamilton was trying to do to Verstappen on lap 1 - drive him off the track.

But this time, it worked, because Leclerc was scared of him.

Bollocks, Leclerc took the corner too fast. And he showed Hamilton the respect he deserved.
    He just passed a last legs car. That's all.
    Oh, I'm not suggesting that what Lewis did today was that special. But still chuffed for the fans who were there.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    ydoethur said:

What a race. Yes - the first incident was unfortunate but that’s what you get when two greats go at it and don’t give anything away.

LeClerc lost it on copse - did what Verstappen wasn’t prepared to do.

But no driver has a right to get a 10 second penalty and still come back to win. Hamilton is something special

He does remind me very much of Schumacher.

For good and for ill.
    What, Hamilton?

Again, I really don't see that. Early in his career (before '94), some friends called Schumacher 'Schunt Maker' because he for a reputation of passing someone or crashing. Hamilton has always been fairly fair - even including mistakes such as the Canada pitlane crash in 2008). He also has not had the full team built around him, as Schumacher had.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Nigelb said:

Expect some salty comments from Horner.

Whatever the merits of the incident this is good for the title battle. Max was threatening to walk away with it. He has something to think about now. Hardball from Lewis which could pay dividends long term. Max might get twitchy in close clinches now.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

So yesterday was the peak then?

All plain sailing from here on in.

Just in time for Freedom Day...
    No COVID allowed from tomorrow.
    Just stop testing. Simples! 🤦‍♂️
    Well that was the strategy in the first wave.
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

That’s what Hamilton was trying to do to Verstappen on lap 1 - drive him off the track.

Bollocks, Leclerc took the corner too fast. And he showed Hamilton the respect he deserved.
    He just passed a last legs car. That's all.
    Oh, I'm not suggesting that what Lewis did today was that special. But still chuffed for the fans who were there.
    I thought the hardball vs Max WAS special. But not the final pass of the Ferrari. That's all I meant.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

WHAT A CATCH!!!

Adil has always been known for the excellence of his fielding.
    Jumping away from his follow through off balance catching in his wrong hand at full stretch is quite impressive even by his standards.

Edit - that was a very good catch as well given it was coming out of the sun.
    Touch of irony there - he used to be fairly crap.
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    Boris Johnson trying to come to work as usual without self-isolating despite testing positive was truly atrocious leadership. If nothing else, this shows that for all the lofty discussion of government "messaging" by supposedly erudite analysts, sometimes one of the country's leaders screws it up like an arrogant twat who considers himself above having to think about possible consequences of his actions. Did some civil servants refuse to meet with Johnson while he was positive, I wonder, or to arrange meetings for him? Or what about scientists? Why should Chris Whitty stand beside him, for example? Why should the military go into the Cobra room with him if he's positive?

Shades here of James Callaghan arriving back from Barbados in 1979.

A couple more occasions like this, or one bigger one, and Johnson is finished. For all his mould-breaking career so far, I'm starting to think he may have it coming to him the way his former chief adviser so obviously does. You just cannot go on crapping on people like that forever.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

Foxy said:

So yesterday was the peak then?

All plain sailing from here on in.

Just in time for Freedom Day...
    No COVID allowed from tomorrow.
    Someone forgot to tell the virus that the pandemic was over.

ydoethur said:

What a race. Yes - the first incident was unfortunate but that’s what you get when two greats go at it and don’t give anything away.

But no driver has a right to get a 10 second penalty and still come back to win. Hamilton is something special

For good and for ill.
    What, Hamilton?

Again, I really don't see that. Early in his career (before '94), some friends called Schumacher 'Schunt Maker' because he for a reputation of passing someone or crashing. Hamilton has always been fairly fair - even including mistakes such as the Canada pitlane crash in 2008). He also has not had the full team built around him, as Schumacher had.
    Indeed. When comparing him to his peers, what we know is that he is absolutely better than Fernando Alonso. And for years he was the hipsters choice.

And on that mistake in Canada (I blame the team, they should have warned him about the red light - they should have known because Montoya ran it a couple of years earlier and got black flagged), he got a 10 place grid penalty for the next race, which was incredibly harsh for an innocent mistake.
    edited July 2021
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

For good and for ill.
    What, Hamilton?

Indeed. When comparing him to his peers, what we know is that he is absolutely better than Fernando Alonso. And for years he was the hipsters choice.

And on that mistake in Canada (I blame the team, they should have warned him about the red light - they should have known because Montoya ran it a couple of years earlier and got black flagged), he got a 10 place grid penalty for the next race, which was incredibly harsh for an innocent mistake.
    Ooo lots of F1 cognoscenti rank Nando above all other drivers. Me, not so much. I'm an Emerson Fitipaldi man. Both very fast and looked like Englebert Humperdink. Amazing to see.
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

For good and for ill.
    What, Hamilton?

Hamilton makes mistakes. When he does, he is often the one who suffers. Schumacher was at a different level: in '94 and '96 he crashed into his competition in order to win. Deliberate, calculated acts. Then there was him winning in the pit lane at Silverstone in '98 and other controversies.

I don't think Hamilton has anything like that on his record. He also often accepts his mistakes - as he did with Albon a couple of years ago. It'll be interesting to hear what he says about this incident now he's won.

I really, really didn't like Schumacher.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Felix is in the 33%

🚨NEW SNAP POLL🚨

A majority say PM’s plan to dodge self-isolation was ‘unfair’:

Fair 33%
    Unfair 60%
    DK 7% https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1416791591927394307/photo/1

No wonder BoZo thinks he is a chump
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Felix is in the 29%

Two thirds say that the story will be damaging for the government, including half of 2019 Conservative voters

All
    Damaging 63%
    Not damaging 29%

2019 Con
    Damaging 53%
    Not damaging 40% https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1416794910213222403/photo/1

BoZo is laughing at him
    Scott_xP said:

Felix is in the 29%

Two thirds say that the story will be damaging for the government, including half of 2019 Conservative voters

All
    Damaging 63%
    Not damaging 29%

2019 Con
    Damaging 53%
    Not damaging 40% https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1416794910213222403/photo/1

BoZo is laughing at him

I might be wrong about this, so please correct me if I am, but I am under the impression, although I might be wrong, that there is the slightest possibility that you give the impression, on occasional occasions, that the current Prime Minister is perhaps, on occasion, not the person who, in ideal circumstances, you would want occupying his current position? That you would prefer anyone or anything - perhaps even your grandmother's chiropodist's pet hamster, to occupy the role of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ?

If so, I just wish you'd be a bit clearer about it ...
  • prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Bollocks, Leclerc took the corner too fast.
    If you say so.

You’re clearly wrong this time, if only because Hamilton took t much faster, but if you say so.

I wonder though if Hamilton was wise to do that. I’m not assuming the stewards will reopen their enquiry - would be rather excessive for them to punish him twice - but he’s just demonstrated that he can crowd a driver off the track with that line. How’s that going to play with his many enemies and critics in F1?
    The fact that Hamilton took the corner faster does not prove what you think it does. They were driving different cars. Leclerc's tyres were shot. That's why Hamilton was catching him so quickly when Leclerc was giving it his all. Hamilton's Mercedes could take the corner at that speed. Leclerc's Ferrari couldn't.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

Not sure what is going on with the government dashboard and hospital admissions, they have been behind now for over a week.

you can be sure what is going on , fiddling on a large scale.
    edited July 2021

Scott_xP said:

Felix is in the 29%

All
    Damaging 63%
    Not damaging 29%

2019 Con
    Damaging 53%

BoZo is laughing at him

I might be wrong about this, so please correct me if I am, but I am under the impression, although I might be wrong, that there is the slightest possibility that you give the impression, on occasional occasions, that the current Prime Minister is perhaps, on occasion, not the person who, in ideal circumstances, you would want occupying his current position? That you would prefer anyone or anything - perhaps even your grandmother's chiropodist's pet hamster, to occupy the role of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ?

I could be wrong, but I do I detect just a faint hint of sarcasm in that post?
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,086

Scott_xP said:

Felix is in the 29%

All
    Damaging 63%
    Not damaging 29%

2019 Con
    Damaging 53%

BoZo is laughing at him

Well, look at Mr Nibbles...

Such wisdom in those eyes. Equally capable of answering difficult questions as the incumbent. And any embarrassing documents will be shredded efficiently, improving national security.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,152
    Scott_xP said:

Felix is in the 33%

🚨NEW SNAP POLL🚨

A majority say PM’s plan to dodge self-isolation was ‘unfair’:

Fair 33%
    Unfair 60%
    DK 7% https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1416791591927394307/photo/1

No wonder BoZo thinks he is a chump

LAB government soon!

Don't stop believin'.

😊😊😊😊😊
    Marko's off on one again:

"A furious Helmut Marko believes Lewis Hamilton should get a one-race ban after his collision with Max Verstappen at Silverstone."

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-marko-lewis-hamilton-suspension/

And Horner bleating about the penalty matching the crime ...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :)
    Some fairly hypocritical stuff from Horner here.
    Anyone would imagine Verstappen, or indeed any other Red Bull driver, had never contested a corner in a similar manner before.

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

If you say so.

You’re clearly wrong this time, if only because Hamilton took t much faster, but if you say so.

I wonder though if Hamilton was wise to do that. I’m not assuming the stewards will reopen their enquiry - would be rather excessive for them to punish him twice - but he’s just demonstrated that he can crowd a driver off the track with that line. How’s that going to play with his many enemies and critics in F1?
    The fact that Hamilton took the corner faster does not prove what you think it does. They were driving different cars. Leclerc's tyres were shot. That's why Hamilton was catching him so quickly when Leclerc was giving it his all. Hamilton's Mercedes could take the corner at that speed. Leclerc's Ferrari couldn't.
    I think what these series of posts have proved is that there are plenty of Hamilton fans who are convinced that whatever happens he’s never in the wrong.

Which I don’t think is a defensible position, if I’m honest. He made two moves at that corner. On one, there was a major crash, and on the other, the second driver was left with no room and ended up running wide.

The common factor was he was forcing his way past at a time when he didn’t need to and in a way that was unduly risky. Both were racing incidents - not in any sense or way cheating - but they wouldn’t have happened had he not been driving so very aggressively.

Some fair old mental gymnastics on display to justify how he wasn’t at fault for either of them.

He does remind me, in that way, of Schumacher’s edgier driving (not so much his blatant cheating). Like those times he would leave people no room, or shove them out of his way while racing for position.

That is not necessarily either to say as Christian Horner seems to, that he should be shot, staked through the heart and buried in concrete. He got a 10 second penalty. That seems about right. And he’ll keep doing it. And people who admire him will love him for it because it’s exciting and fun to watch.
    If I may interject between the Gammonsport posts, Cav's moment of destiny draws nigh. 28km to go...
    edited July 2021
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

If you say so.

I think what these series of posts have proved is that there are plenty of Hamilton fans who are convinced that whatever happens he’s never in the wrong.

Which I don’t think is a defensible position, if I’m honest. He made two moves at that corner. On one, there was a major crash, and on the other, the second driver was left with no room and ended up running wide.

The common factor was he was forcing his way past at a time when he didn’t need to and in a way that was unduly risky. Both were racing incidents - not in any sense or way cheating - but they wouldn’t have happened had he not been driving so very aggressively.

Some fair old mental gymnastics on display to justify how he wasn’t at fault for either of them.

He does remind me, in that way, of Schumacher’s edgier driving (not so much his blatant cheating). Like those times he would leave people no room, or shove them out of his way while racing for position.

That is not necessarily either to say as Christian Horner seems to, that he should be shot, staked through the heart and buried in concrete. He got a 10 second penalty. That seems about right. And he’ll keep doing it. And people who admire him will love him for it because it’s exciting and fun to watch.
    No, as I commented earlier, I think the penalty he got probably a fair one.

The Leclerc pass had no such issues. Clean as a whistle, and no real risk involved.
    This thread has been pinged...
    @ydoethur - you're obviously watching something very different to the rest of us.

And fwiw, I think Lewis Hamilton is a bit of a dick, but I always call it as I see it.
    tlg86 said:

@ydoethur - you're obviously watching something very different to the rest of us.

And fwiw, I think Lewis Hamilton is a bit of a dick, but I always call it as I see it.

The irony is, that’s what I’m doing too...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Nigelb said:

Some fairly hypocritical stuff from Horner here.
    Anyone would imagine Verstappen, or indeed any other Red Bull driver, had never contested a corner in a similar manner before.

We all know that, if it had been the other way around, Horner would be loudly cheering Hamilton being in the hospital. Red Bull just don’t come across as nice people.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342

algarkirk said:

The centre left and centre right are now asymmetric. To vote for a centre right government you have to vote Tory; there being no alternative. Three and a half (SNP) parties look for the centre left vote. Obviously this creates a great opportunity for coalition but has two dangers. Lots of people in the south who sometimes vote LD don't want a Labour led government. And the opportunities for carefully managing the campaign so as to split the centre left parties to Tory advantage is obvious.

And also, the further north you go in England the less people want the SNP having a say in government because northern England values the union. The further south you go, the less they want the SNP having a say in government because they are the SNP.

These will be big issues at election time even though they don't resonate much now.

Yes, up to a point you're right, but it's more complicated.

1. Plenty of traditional Tories don't recognise what we have as a real Tory government - authoritarian, high-spending and populist government is not their thing. They would still turn out if they were terrified by Starmer, but terrifying is one thing he's not. Many people of this type may not bother to vote.

2. National polls understate tactical voting, which is heavily concentrated on the centre-left, as we have just seen in both by-elections. A poll showing something like Con 38 Lab 31 LD 12 Green 6 is not comfortable for the Tories, since perhaps half of the centre-left party supporters will switch to the main anti-Tory challenger in seats where it's clear.

There are factors pointing the other way - e.g. that Labour turnout is currently likely to be weak - but it's not straightforward.
    Thanks. I don't really disagree with any of that, but would be a bit less sure than you about Tories not turning out to vote.

Yes, tactical voting is important, but numbers of seats winnable for a centre left candidate manage not to do so.

• prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

If you say so.

Accusing me of mental gymnastics in saying that one car is capable of taking a corner faster than another is ridiculous.

I've just watched a replay on Youtube in slow motion and I do not agree that Leclerc was left with no room. Hamilton made the apex. There was plenty of room outside. Leclerc was actually ahead as they came out of the corner. If he had enough grip, he could have stayed on the track and stayed ahead. He ran out of grip. He was not forced wide by Hamilton.

He absolutely did need to get past Verstappen. If he hadn't got past him quickly, his race would have been over. However,. I agree it was a risky move and, whilst I think the stewards should have classed it as a racing incident, I would agree that Hamilton was more to blame than Verstappen.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Looking forward to being able to order drinks at the bar again tomorrow.

Really?

I saw a piece that showed the ordering apps to be quite popular with customers, and the landlords rather like them too. It seems that customers are much less price sensitive on apps.
    I go to the pub to get away from modern technology, not to use it.
    Try a Sam Smith's pub - have to pay cash and mobile phones are banned.
    Not down here, Richard. Must be another one of those Northern USPs. Add it to your (very long) list perhaps.
    Maybe its different in the Chandos and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese but it certainly happened in 2019.

Samuel Smiths pubs have banned people from using phones, in an attempt to foster "social conversations".

Various pubs across the country have been sent a memo making clear that people should not be allowed to use their phones or chat in the bar, and that if they wish to they should be directed outside in the same way as if they were smoking.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/sam-smiths-samuel-pub-ban-phone-rules-swearing-a8846316.html

It might have been a publicity stunt but Sam Smiths pubs are somewhat odd in various ways.
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Looking forward to being able to order drinks at the bar again tomorrow.

Really?

I saw a piece that showed the ordering apps to be quite popular with customers, and the landlords rather like them too. It seems that customers are much less price sensitive on apps.
    I go to the pub to get away from modern technology, not to use it.
    Try a Sam Smith's pub - have to pay cash and mobile phones are banned.
    Well, they will be going out of business then. Who carries cash?

Tapping your card takes seconds, the expenditure is shown in your bank account, everyone is happier, apart from people who like to avoid the Revenue
    Was rather surprised about the cash bit myself but I can confirm that its true.
    That reads like what is perhaps best called an 'Independent' story.
  • I completed leg day in this heat, I feel like a champion
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

48,161, 740, 25

Quite a lot for a Sunday.
    The hospital admissions haven't been updated since Tuesday. Once the numbers come up-to-date the value reported for "freedom day" tomorrow will likely be somewhere in the ballpark of 900.

I reckon that the finger starts hovering over the lockdown button once they pass 1,000 per day and keep going up for about ten days after that; if that happens then we should be looking out for signs of real panic in Government from around the start of August.
    We have around 1/8th the number of patients in hospital compared to the January peak. This is not ideal, but to argue lockdown would be needed if admissions went over 1000 a day, when for many the stay in hospital is a few days max, is absurd.
    @Foxy

At what utilisation rate for general hospital / icu beds would you be getting nervous in your hospital?
    alex_ said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Prof Pantsdown thinks we are in for a long period of high case numbers...

BBC News - Covid: UK faces a difficult summer, says leading scientist
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57877033

Well, his figures on cases may be right, but even so his logic seems to be that actually it’s better to have it now and get the peak out of the way by September.
    That’s the strategy in a nutshell
    The infamous interview before the first lockdown on Channel 4 News when Prof John Edmunds said that herd immunity was the only way out in the long run has stood up very well, despite the attacks he got at the time.
    I am frustrated that some people think that herd immunity and vaccination are different things. In the U.K. were are aiming for herd immunity mostly via vaccination, with a helping of infection in the mix. Are some people confused, and referring to herd immunity as only something that comes from infection?
    Lots of people don’t understand what “herd immunity” means. Hence things like PT’s theory about the virus “picking off the unvaccinated/filling in the gaps” even after herd immunity has been reached.

My understanding is that the point of herd immunity is that the “vulnerable” unvaccinated and/or previously uninflected are actually protected.
    Not exactly protected but it means that they are unlikely to come into contact with the virus and, if they do, it is harder for them to spread it. Hence the “herd” is protected while an individual may not be.
    malcolmg said:

Not sure what is going on with the government dashboard and hospital admissions, they have been behind now for over a week.

you can be sure what is going on , fiddling on a large scale.
    You know it’s because Scotland is late with its data, right?
This discussion has been closed.