Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Freedom Day with the PM and Chancellor self-isolating doesn’t send out the planned message – politic

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2021 in General
imageFreedom Day with the PM and Chancellor self-isolating doesn’t send out the planned message – politicalbetting.com

For months it seems we have been hearing from ministers about July 19th which has been dubbed Freedom Day to mark the end of the COVID restrictions. This was going to be a big moment for Johnsson and his team and a time to celebrate yet again the success of their vaccination programme.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    On the other hand, keeping Johnson locked away makes the rest of us that much safer.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Off-topic:

A pop-up vaccination centre is in our village today, and I was glad to see long queues outside it when I passed, two hours apart.

We also had a lady just knock on our door and ask if we'd been vaccinated; they're going around trying to get people out. First time I'd heard of this happening, and I think it's brilliant. :)

edit: and first.

We have so much spare capacity to do jabs. It should have started two months ago.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161
    Of course Westminster being riddled by Coronavirus is so March last year. History repeats itself, but we won't be out clapping on our doorsteps this time round.
    MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

A pop-up vaccination centre is in our village today, and I was glad to see long queues outside it when I passed, two hours apart.

We also had a lady just knock on our door and ask if we'd been vaccinated; they're going around trying to get people out. First time I'd heard of this happening, and I think it's brilliant. :)

We have so much spare capacity to do jabs. It should have started two months ago.
    There was one in Cannock during June. Not since. They said it was to use up surplus stocks of Pfizer, which they no longer have.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Tres said:

Of course Westminster being riddled by Coronavirus is so March last year. History repeats itself, but we won't be out clapping on our doorsteps this time round.

How have they not reached herd immunity by now.....
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Looking forward to being able to order drinks at the bar again tomorrow.
    Tres said:

I’m amazed Johnson hasn’t had the clap yet, to be honest.
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

There was one in Cannock during June. Not since. They said it was to use up surplus stocks of Pfizer, which they no longer have.
    That was June, now we have got a pretty big stockpile of Pfizer building up.
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

Well, we may have as a nation, but they are saying they don’t as a practice.
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

I can't imagine how much AZN there much now be sitting in a warehouse.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

It may have, for all I know. It's just that they're doing our village today.

It's the knocker-up that I really liked - actively going around asking people. Even though we've both been double-vaxed, it made me feel really, really happy about humanity.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Really?

I saw a piece that showed the ordering apps to be quite popular with customers, and the landlords rather like them too. It seems that customers are much less price sensitive on apps.
    South African football team. I don't understand how they haven't insisted on arrival 14 days in advance for hotel isolation.
    edited July 2021
    In the hyper ventalation over Boris double standards, the biggest bit of news is being missed, the government are only going to offer vaccines to a small subsection of children. That seems like a big call and very different to many other countries.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,448
    Andy_JS said:

Enjoy it whilst you can, probably a u-turn by next week!
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

I saw a piece that showed the ordering apps to be quite popular with customers, and the landlords rather like them too. It seems that customers are much less price sensitive on apps.
    Indeed, I've thoroughly enjoyed not having to endure the scrum down at the bar. At all the pubs I've visited, ordering off the app is fine, service is efficient but then I don't frequent large city centre pubs on a Friday and Saturday evening which is where I suspect the profits are made.

The whole "crowds" thing is so old hat - most people want comfortable, congenial and civilised (well, I do and I'm "most people" having discovered I'm in a majority last evening)..

MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

It's the knocker-up that I really liked - actively going around asking people. Even though we've both been double-vaxed, it made me feel really, really happy about humanity.
    The mass vaccination centre at Newham Town Hall is open all weekend and offering first or second vaccinations as required but no queues at all yesterday.

It looks like we'll get to about half the adults in Newham vaccinated.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,743
    There's absolutely no humiliation that BJ could inflict on Jenrick that would force him to tell the amoral **** where to shove it, is there? A safe pair of hands unconcerned by being smeared in other people's shit, a great quality to possess in the brave new world of Borisism.
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

The mass vaccination centre at Newham Town Hall is open all weekend and offering first or second vaccinations as required but no queues at all yesterday.

Going for natural herd immunity.....
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

So the other half will die. Should free up a lot of parking
  • What an absolute and utter shambles Boris Johnson and his Government is.

They did one thing right and that was thanks to an outside venture capitalist.

Everything else has been one cock-up after another.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    Wimbledon and the Euros both managed to get through without any major self-isolation disasters, but two things:

1. The ATP and WTA tours and UEFA have all been functioning internationally throughout the pandemic, and consequently have well-developed bubble systems
    2. They were also lucky - if a larger Covid outbreak had taken out one of the teams in the Euros, or self-isolation had knocked out the likes of Ash Barty and Novak Djokovic (and not just poor unlucky Jo Konta,) then the headlines would've been rather different

The Olympic Games are a vastly larger and more complex jamboree than either of these, and involve mass importation of large numbers of athletes from all over the world at once. So yes, I'd be astonished if they didn't get through it without at least some of the events being ruined by Covid, and the possibility of the whole thing being brought down by a pingdemic shouldn't be wholly discounted.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Awesome scenes from Silverstone, a 140,000 full house, biggest ticketed UK crowd in two years.

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

Going for natural herd immunity.....
    Newham currently has one of the lowest case rates in London. With luck they're already a good portion of the way there.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    You’d hope that our dollop of a PM would be learning some valuable lessons from the mess his own ‘Freedom Day’ shtick has got him into.

But somehow we all know that he isn’t.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    People like to say that Johnson's opponents can never understand what his supporters see in him. Days like today show how right that is. It's really very difficult for me to imagine how someone could want any more of this shit.
    https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1416742141456490506

Off-topic:

Current numbers are pitifully low; Europe is catching us up fast.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008

What an absolute and utter shambles Boris Johnson and his Government is.

They did one thing right and that was thanks to an outside venture capitalist.

You mean the woman who thought half the adult population should be left unvaccinated because it would be safer that way?
  • Scott_xP said:

People like to say that Johnson's opponents can never understand what his supporters see in him. Days like today show how right that is. It's really very difficult for me to imagine how someone could want any more of this shit.

Indeed.

He's a shit and his Government is a shitshow.
    edited July 2021
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

I go to the pub to get away from modern technology, not to use it.
    stodge said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Indeed, I've thoroughly enjoyed not having to endure the scrum down at the bar. At all the pubs I've visited, ordering off the app is fine, service is efficient but then I don't frequent large city centre pubs on a Friday and Saturday evening which is where I suspect the profits are made.

The whole "crowds" thing is so old hat - most people want comfortable, congenial and civilised (well, I do and I'm "most people" having discovered I'm in a majority last evening)..
    I've gone even further than that. On fine afternoons and evenings (like today) I often skip the pub entirely and take a chilled white wine to the park, and have a little picnic with friends.

The wine is vastly superior, you nibble summer fruits and cheese, the sun beats down, it is bliss. Who needs a pub?
  • IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

And in some ways, many of them are overtaking us. Why so? Because we have decided not to vaccinate under-18's thus producing the perfect incubation conditions for covid to continue spreading in the UK.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    That's "nous" OGH.
    I can't keep up with what's expected of us . Sometimes---almost always actually---I'm glad I don't have a smart 'phone. I hasten to add that I do give my 'phone & details when requested. My mob cost £4.99 and does what I need. The way "progress" goes I expect that when it wears out I'll have to buy something with all kinds of unnecessary functions. And pay more.
    IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

They all hit a ceiling, same happened in Israel
    Leon said:

So the other half will die. Should free up a lot of parking

That's a typical North London response.

Nowhere near the same level of car ownership in these parts - more likely to free up space on the buses and tubes.
  • Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Except that they don't have an entire segment of the population acting as perfect viral vectors.

Not vaccinating under-18's is the stupidest decision.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    FPT

Foxy said:
    ' Ultimately though it was the Labour Paty selectorate that chose Corbyn, by a fairly clear margin. I think that there was a real desire to see the end of the tired veterans of New Labour, particularly Burnham and Cooper. A mistake perhaps but hard to see them doing better next time. It will be a new generation untainted by past mistakes in government that will have the leadership from now on.'

The context is important here. Corbyn did not actually want to win the leadership election in 2015 - and had no expectation initially of doing better than a respectable third place behind Cooper & Burnham. The dynamics of the contest changed massively when Harman forced the Shadow Cabinet to abstain on Osborne's Welfare Reform proposals. This caused outrage throughout the wider membership - and left Corbyn as the only candidate who ended up voting against them! Burnham and Cooper ought to have stepped down from the Shadow Cabinet to free themselves up to do likewise. Nevertheless , Harriet Harman does have a lot to answer for . I hope it weighs heavily on her conscience.
    Sandpit said:

Awesome scenes from Silverstone, a 140,000 full house, biggest ticketed UK crowd in two years.

And surely much safer to be there, amid those thronging crowds, than to be risking your life driving your own car in France.

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Except that they don't have an entire segment of the population acting as perfect viral vectors.

Yes, it seems like an error to me
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited July 2021
    IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Nations hit a ceiling. 'Catching' us was never a concern, the issue was how quickly as many as possible could be jabbed. I'd always have assumed that most of Europe's richer nations at least would end up broadly similar, with some variance around agedness of population etc.

The child decision will obviously affect that overall total.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited July 2021
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

Serious question: Is that denominator correct wrt people from London who have gone back home elsewhere etc. ?

I'm not up to date on London Boroughs.

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Doesn't Israel have a lot of antivaxxers on religious principle? Or am I misunderstanding?
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Yep, each country finds a natural level, just look at the US.

UK will overtake Israel next week.

Leon said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

I've gone even further than that. On fine afternoons and evenings (like today) I often skip the pub entirely and take a chilled white wine to the park, and have a little picnic with friends.

The wine is vastly superior, you nibble summer fruits and cheese, the sun beats down, it is bliss. Who needs a pub?
    Indeed, some Dairylea Dunkers and Fruit Pastilles and it's a good 'un.

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,843
    Interesting chat between Leon and Moonshine on PT that got me thinking - would one expect a correlation between a fear that superwokery is turning the UK into South Africa and a belief in flying saucers?
    MattW said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Off-topic:

Serious question: Is that denominator correct wrt people from London who have gone back home elsewhere etc. ?

I have been suspicious from the beginning that those being vaccinated are being credited in the stats to the location where they get the jab, rather than being tracked back to wherever they are registered with a GP.

The clue is those over 100% vaccination rates for some age cohorts in those pleasantly rural Home Counties areas.
    MattW said:

This year's census will be interesting - I imagine there'll be plenty of "undocumented individuals". OTOH, I imagine no one will want to draw attention to the fact the 3-bedroom semi they own is being used by 25-30 Eastern European men - to be fair, sometimes the owners themselves don't know because the property is illegally "sub-let".
    kinabalu said:

Interesting chat between Leon and Moonshine on PT that got me thinking - would one expect a correlation between a fear that superwokery is turning the UK into South Africa and a belief in flying saucers?

What you are witnessing is Evidence of Higher Intelligence

Leon said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Surely McCowan's Hielan Toffee and Oor Wullie's Braw Iron Brew [sic] Chew Bar?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

First dose numbers are starting to collapse in Germany and they're still a long way behind.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720
    Paging Dura Ace:

"Classified details of army’s Challenger tank leaked via video game"

"Classified details of the British Army’s main battle tank, Challenger 2, have been leaked online after a player in a tank battle video game disputed its accuracy.

The player, who claimed to have been a real life Challenger 2 tank commander and gunnery instructor, disputed the design of the tank in the popular combat video game “War Thunder”, arguing it needed changing. He claimed game designers had failed to “model it properly”.

To support his argument the player posted pages from the official Challenger 2 Army Equipment Support Publication – a manual and maintenance guide."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/18/classified-details-of-armys-challenger-tank-leaked-via-video-game
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Demonstrating how dumb some humans can be certainly increases the chances.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Try a Sam Smith's pub - have to pay cash and mobile phones are banned.
    Scott_xP said:

Boris will always have the electoral benefit of being able to upset the right people.

Boris will always have the electoral benefit of being able to upset the right people.

Maybe true, but this episode shows (again) that BoZo has nothing but contempt for the people who voted for him.

Why do they keep voting for him is a reasonable question.

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Not down here, Richard. Must be another one of those Northern USPs. Add it to your (very long) list perhaps.

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Well, they will be going out of business then. Who carries cash?

Tapping your card takes seconds, the expenditure is shown in your bank account, everyone is happier, apart from people who like to avoid the Revenue
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

I can't totally rule that out but I very nearly can.
    My Echo Show is giving me a montage of photos of my trip to see the Iguazu Falls in Argentina/Brazil, in late 2019

Just before the world collapsed, and we all got excited about trips to Lowestoft, instead

It is poignant, and painful
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Sounds wank
    Tony Blair doesn't think Boris should be isolating, instead should be whatever it takes to allow him to carry on working....
    edited July 2021
    CatMan said:

Paging Dura Ace:

"Classified details of the British Army’s main battle tank, Challenger 2, have been leaked online after a player in a tank battle video game disputed its accuracy.

The player, who claimed to have been a real life Challenger 2 tank commander and gunnery instructor, disputed the design of the tank in the popular combat video game “War Thunder”, arguing it needed changing. He claimed game designers had failed to “model it properly”.

To support his argument the player posted pages from the official Challenger 2 Army Equipment Support Publication – a manual and maintenance guide."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/18/classified-details-of-armys-challenger-tank-leaked-via-video-game

[deleted]
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Strangely enough I went to a country pub in the Yorkshire Dales yesterday after a long walk and was surprised to be told that food could only ordered at the table and drinks could only be ordered at the bar. The pub wasn't massively busy so I didn't mind but it seemed they were jumping the gun a bit.

At the same pub 6 weeks ago it was table service for everything.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

I can't totally rule that out but I very nearly can.
    You're wrong. You're highly educated and reasonably intelligent, but you have a narrow, middlebrow world-view which is made even narrower by rigid political opinions formed in your youth

Some arguments go way over your head - and you don't even realise, because you are busy reacting emotionally/politically

There. You can have that psychoanalysis for free. I normally charge
    Right. Time for wine and roses

Later
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    CatMan said:

Paging Dura Ace:

It's fine because we're getting Challenger 3 in 2030. Although it has been subject to a typically sneaky tory defence cut. 148 Challenger 3s are "planned" but the MoD has only ordered 60 Trophy hard kill protection systems from the Israelis. So we'll end up with 60 out of 148 that can go on ops or more likely just 60.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Surely McCowan's Hielan Toffee and Oor Wullie's Braw Iron Brew [sic] Chew Bar?
    Such excess, and on a Sunday foreby!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Some EU member states still have a very high percentage of totally unvaccinated people.

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Not down here, Richard. Must be another one of those Northern USPs. Add it to your (very long) list perhaps.
    Maybe its different in the Chandos and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese but it certainly happened in 2019.

Samuel Smiths pubs have banned people from using phones, in an attempt to foster "social conversations".

Various pubs across the country have been sent a memo making clear that people should not be allowed to use their phones or chat in the bar, and that if they wish to they should be directed outside in the same way as if they were smoking.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/sam-smiths-samuel-pub-ban-phone-rules-swearing-a8846316.html

It might have been a publicity stunt but Sam Smiths pubs are somewhat odd in various ways.
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Tapping your card takes seconds, the expenditure is shown in your bank account, everyone is happier, apart from people who like to avoid the Revenue
    Was rather surprised about the cash bit myself but I can confirm that its true.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

There are a number in London:

https://www.standard.co.uk/reveller/bars/the-15-best-sam-smith-s-pubs-in-london-ranked-a3954501.html

Good beer and good value traditional pubs. I have been to The John Snow in Soho, named for the pioneering Doctor who discovered the cause of a cholera outbreak. He wouldn't approve though, as he was a teetotaller!
    Currently being spammed by the Tele -

'Freedom Day is tomorrow. Save over 85% now.'
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Try the Princess Louise in Holborn:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Louise,_Holborn

Used to be our after work pub before we left for Ducklands.

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Some EU member states still have a very high percentage of totally unvaccinated people.

Which means they're likely to be hammered by Delta when it reaches them.

Eastern Europe winter plus low vaccinations plus Delta (or a worse variant) will not be a good combination.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    Scott_xP said:

Maybe true, but this episode shows (again) that BoZo has nothing but contempt for the people who voted for him.

They didn't realise back then just how useless he was (and is). No other explanation.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,334
    ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

They didn't realise back then just how useless he was (and is). No other explanation.
    Which do you think is the best nickname for Johnson today, General U-turn or Captain cock-up?
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

https://www.standard.co.uk/reveller/bars/the-15-best-sam-smith-s-pubs-in-london-ranked-a3954501.html

Good beer and good value traditional pubs. I have been to The John Snow in Soho, named for the pioneering Doctor who discovered the cause of a cholera outbreak. He wouldn't approve though, as he was a teetotaller!
    The Fitzroy Tavern used to be my local. A grand old boozer slightly marred by overly fussy restoration

That link points out that Orwell drank there, but it fails to tell the big story. It is just about conceivable that Lenin, Stalin and Hitler drank there ALL AT THE SAME TIME

It is near certain that Lenin and Stalin drank there, Charlotte Street was home to the Communist Party HQ and was a haunt of radicals. The Hitler connection depends on a putative visit Hitler made to his brother before the Great War, who was living on nearby Percy Street

Brilliantly just down from Hitler's brother's flat is the flat where Orwell lived, which he used as inspiration for the apartment in 1984

London, huh
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

I'd never thought of you quite like that, but if you say so...
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 582

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

Which do you think is the best nickname for Johnson today, General U-turn or Captain cock-up?
    Private SNAFU?
    edited July 2021

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Which means they're likely to be hammered by Delta when it reaches them.

Eastern Europe winter plus low vaccinations plus Delta (or a worse variant) will not be a good combination.
    The numbers in Germany are the most concerning, topping out at ~60-65% of the population before kids are made eligible means it will be very tough to reach 80% plus for herd immunity. I expected that they would reach ~70-72% of the population. We need to do another 700k to get to 70% with first doses and another 2m to get to 72% of adults. The latter figure will definitely be a stretch goal and the government may need to make vaccination a requirement to leave and enter the country (no more testing as a substitute). I think only Canada will reach 80%+ of their population as they won't have this idiotic abundance of caution for vaccinating kids. The UK seems to believe it's special and needs to have different rules. We aren't and we need to get on with it.
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Me.

Off-topic:

At last a popular canvasser!
    Certainly nobody will dare abuse them...
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Yes I like SS pubs. Great VFM. But they do take cards in my experience.

I know the Snow. It has a part in my history. My 1st wife was in advertising and we used to meet up there after work.
    ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

In 2019, Labour was unpopular, weak and was offering Corbyn as PM.

In 2021, Labour is just unpopular and weak - but any dividend from junking Corbyn appears to have been cancelled out by the vaccines.

Still, there's plenty of time for things to change.

Off-topic:

At last a popular canvasser!
    Does rather depend on where they are!
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited July 2021
    I live too close to Headingley cricket stadium to be able to watch it on TV.

Heard both the outs 5 seconds before the same cheer on BBC One.
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Try the Princess Louise in Holborn:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Louise,_Holborn

Used to be our after work pub before we left for Ducklands.
    Yes I know that one too. Know it well.

It's the 'cash only' aspect that I haven't come across.
    Should TeamGB be part of a pilot?

BREAKING Eight members of Team GB have been identified as close contacts of someone (non British) who tested positive for COVID on a flight into Japan - six athletes and two staff members on the athletics team. #Tokyo2020
    https://twitter.com/TomSkyNews/status/1416754990643769348
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    stodge said:

pigeon said:

I suppose that it's theoretically possible, although a major disruption of the Tory grip on the South would require an earthquake approaching the strength of that which wrecked Scottish Labour in 2015. There are only about twenty Tory-held seats in Southern England available for the LDs to attack where they'd need to overturn majorities of less than ten thousand votes. The party doesn't look nearly strong enough to cause that scale of upset at the moment.

Let's take a case study - Woking. Last time, the Conservatives got 49% of the vote, the LDs 30% and Labour 16% with the Greens 3% and UKIP 1% (roughly).

Conservative majority a notch under 10,000 despite a swing of 9.3% to the LDs.

The LDs have never won Woking - in 1997, the Conservative vote fell below 40% (an Independent Conservative polled nearly 8%). Since then, the best LD performance was 38% in 2010 but the Conservative still polled 50% and the majority was just shy of 7,000.

The LDs have never polled above 40% in the constituency - Labour polled 24% in 2017 and lost a third of that last time. Their lowest poll was 8% in 2010.

At the County Council elections in May, the Conservatives won 41% of the vote, the LDs 30%, Labour 11.6% and Independents 10%. The Conservatives won 4 seats, the LDs 2 and the Independents 1.

It looks a tall order for the LDs.
    People said the same about places like Glasgow North East in 2013. It fell to the SNP with a swing of 39.3% at the GE two years later.

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Sounds wank
    It's also not true, I went to a Sam Smith's last weekend in Soho and paid by card and used my phone.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING Eight members of Team GB have been identified as close contacts of someone (non British) who tested positive for COVID on a flight into Japan - six athletes and two staff members on the athletics team. #Tokyo2020

These Olympics are a total farce, and the hosts know it. Money is the motor, not sport.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited July 2021

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Prof. Adam Finn of the JCVI doesn't agree with you, particularly that they are "perfect viral vectors".

Finn's rationalisation as I understood it is that children don't get covid as much as adults do, are much less likely to get ill, and are also less likely to pass it on to others. It's seems the JCVI think vaccinating adults is still a better use of resources, particularly young adults, and then probably to move on to boosters.

Finn's a professor of paediatrics in case that matters to anyone thinking "what does he know?"
    glw said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

Prof. Adam Finn of the JCVI doesn't agree with you, particularly that they are "perfect viral vectors".

Finn's rationalisation as I understood it is that children don't get covid as much as adults do, are much less likely to get ill, and are also less likely to pass it on to others. It's seems the JCVI think vaccinating adults is still a better use of resources, particularly young adults, and then probably to move on to boosters.
    We don't have supply issues, we're approaching a situation where the UK will have near unlimited supply of COVID vaccines for the size of the country.
    Scots Guards band must be a little hot in those uniforms!
    edited July 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Only a total moron would bet on any event for these Olympics...
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

The Fitzroy Tavern used to be my local. A grand old boozer slightly marred by overly fussy restoration

That link points out that Orwell drank there, but it fails to tell the big story. It is just about conceivable that Lenin, Stalin and Hitler drank there ALL AT THE SAME TIME

It is near certain that Lenin and Stalin drank there, Charlotte Street was home to the Communist Party HQ and was a haunt of radicals. The Hitler connection depends on a putative visit Hitler made to his brother before the Great War, who was living on nearby Percy Street

Brilliantly just down from Hitler's brother's flat is the flat where Orwell lived, which he used as inspiration for the apartment in 1984

London, huh
    I spent many evenings there in student days. Good memories. Had a look in recently and it did look like they had messed up the recent refurbishment - one of those places that they should have just left as it was.

Interesting anecdotal - I heard that if you worked there you were banned from ever returning after you have left.

The £2 pints of beer that get people through the door are pretty weak from experience; most people quickly upgrade to their wheat beer.
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

I can't believe people are allowing a virus to alter their way of doing things.
This discussion has been closed.