Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hancock bows to the inevitable and decides to quit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

I suppose what may ultimately have counted for Javid is that there is no other appointment needs reshuffling. No junior ministerial ranks to change. No select committees to reorganise. Just Javid returning.

Glad it is him and not Gove though.

Agreed. Hopefully the camera man has got a video of Gove with his trousers down too.
    Truthfully? Hopefully not.

In any case, surely the camera would have broken?
    Michael Gove is really well endowed.

It is common knowledge in Westminster and beyond.

Just don't ask how I know this.
    That's very common knowledge on the other PB
    The other night, I was told he liked attending the functions that Dougie Smith would organise.
    The other PB?

Do I want to know about this?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    Foxy said:

glw said:

glw said:

Way off topic.

A few month I mentioned Amazon spending $1 billion making 5 seasons of their Lord of the Rings TV series.

glw said:

It is set long before all the Hobbit/LotR stuff, and there are apparently very heavy restrictions upon the producers from the Tolkien estate about what they can use and about sticking to the facts of Tolkien's work rather than any "rebooting". The rights alone have cost Amazon $250 million dollars, and they are planning on spending somewhere in the region of $1 billion across 5 seasons.

Apparently Amazon are now planning to spend $465 million for the first season alone.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-cost-465-million-one-season-4167791/

That's on a par with what the BBC spends on all film and drama production in a year.
    What could they possibly spend it all on? Sounds wasteful.
    I've no idea. Amazon are seemingly going to spend at least as much as James Cameron is spending to make 4 film sequels to Avatar.
    Special effects rather than a decent script and characterisation, that is what happens happens to all these bloated franchises.
    More money doesn't prevent those things, you just cannot ensure them with money/

High production values can make good writing and characterisation even better, and it can make something not well written entertaining if done right - but I just don't know how they are going to get the bang for their buck.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    1h
    The appointment of
    @sajidjavid
    as the new Health Secretary is good news for those who want an end to lockdowns. He has consistently spoken out about the harms caused by lockdowns and called for cost/benefit analysis of the policy. Fingers crossedCrossed fingers

Hope so, based on the the lack of people being hospitalised, opening up early would be a good way of changing the narrative.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

So I generally support whistleblowing, ie people with privileged access to secret information publicizing it to reveal wrongdoing. However the *security camera* aspect of this thing seems kind of outrageous to me. I can't quite explain why watching and leaking the security camera footage is bad, but if it had been, say, a memo that the cleaner found and leaked that would have been good.

Does anyone have the same intuition, or is it just me? If anyone else has it, can anyone explain the difference?

I feel the same. To explain the difference, it feels like there is more to it. Did a whistle blower go straight to the sun with the tape, or was it time to slay the scapegoat, in which case everyone posting ‘great news’ are the mugs.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    MaxPB said:

Want to add that putting a banker and son of an immigrant in another top department is something I can relate to. That makes the Treasury, DoH, Home Office and Business all headed up by children of immigrants.

Enoch was right, the darkies have the whip hand over the white English people.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Austria!!!
    2-1 Denmark still.

Come on Austria. Take this to penalties!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    Told that Hancock has left his wife for Gina Coladangelo. Friends of the former Health Secretary say his relationship with Gina is 'recent but serious'.

Yeh, right. Recent my arse as Jim Royle would say.

It would be a lot better for headlines if her first name was Pina...
  • Options
    MattW said:

Sean_F said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

I suppose what may ultimately have counted for Javid is that there is no other appointment needs reshuffling. No junior ministerial ranks to change. No select committees to reorganise. Just Javid returning.

Glad it is him and not Gove though.

Agreed. Hopefully the camera man has got a video of Gove with his trousers down too.
    Truthfully? Hopefully not.

In any case, surely the camera would have broken?
    Michael Gove is really well endowed.

It is common knowledge in Westminster and beyond.

Just don't ask how I know this.
    That's very common knowledge on the other PB
    The other night, I was told he liked attending the functions that Dougie Smith would organise.
    The other PB?

Do I want to know about this?
    Popbitch.

https://popbitch.com/
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    tlg86 said:

So I generally support whistleblowing, which by definition is people with privileged access to secret information revealing wrongdoing. However the *security camera* aspect of this thing seems kind of outrageous to me. I can't quite explain why watching and leaking the security camera footage is bad, but if it had been, say, a memo that the cleaner found and leaked that would have been fine.

Does anyone have the same intuition, or is it just me? If anyone else has it, can anyone explain the difference?

I’d like to know if money has changed hands. Did the whistleblower really need to go via The Sun?

Mind you, I don’t care all that much to be honest.
    I'm not sure the difference is between video rather than typewritten evidence so much as Hancock was ousted for snogging his paramour rather than for a serious policy reason, such as the care homes debacle or possible corruption in awarding contracts.
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    MaxPB said:

Want to add that putting a banker and son of an immigrant in another top department is something I can relate to. That makes the Treasury, DoH, Home Office and Business all headed up by children of immigrants.

And Zahawi, who's been in one of the most important jobs of the last year even if not heading a department, is an immigrant himself.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

THE SUN ON SUNDAY: Matt Finished #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1408877217703137287/photo/1

The Sun's gloating, while understandable, seems a bit off-key given the innocent (and even the guilty) lives involved in the break-up of two marriages.

It would not surprise me if the front page has been toned down by the final edition.
    Unfortunate juxtaposition with the Diana thing as well...
    "Matt Finished" is quite a good headline though..
    Matt Finished would be the death of the Telegraph though.
    But are we sure he is Matt Vinally Finished?
    He has been walking on eggshell for some time. Sooner or later he would brush with disaster.
    Get your two coats.....
    Perhaps that was the problem. Matt was just touching up...
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

Way off topic.

A few month I mentioned Amazon spending $1 billion making 5 seasons of their Lord of the Rings TV series.

glw said:

It is set long before all the Hobbit/LotR stuff, and there are apparently very heavy restrictions upon the producers from the Tolkien estate about what they can use and about sticking to the facts of Tolkien's work rather than any "rebooting". The rights alone have cost Amazon $250 million dollars, and they are planning on spending somewhere in the region of $1 billion across 5 seasons.

Apparently Amazon are now planning to spend $465 million for the first season alone.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-cost-465-million-one-season-4167791/

That's on a par with what the BBC spends on all film and drama production in a year.
    What could they possibly spend it all on? Sounds wasteful.
    I've no idea. Amazon are seemingly going to spend at least as much as James Cameron is spending to make 4 film sequels to Avatar.
    Plot spoilers. Second Age begins with Morgoth banished from the world. One end of Middle Earth falls into the sea, geologically it’s not quite middle anymore. Sauron promises he can be good, but had his fingers crossed behind his back. Numenor (Atlantis style island Kingdom) sunk for invading the God’s. Rivendale, Lothlorien and Moria built. Rings of power forged. Betrayal. Big war.

It’s obvious they are trying to fill the Games Of Thrones void. My paragraph already sounds like game of thrones.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

MaxPB said:

well according to CNN we should be going through a 'racial reckoning'...
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

THE SUN ON SUNDAY: Matt Finished #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1408877217703137287/photo/1

The Sun's gloating, while understandable, seems a bit off-key given the innocent (and even the guilty) lives involved in the break-up of two marriages.

It would not surprise me if the front page has been toned down by the final edition.
    He has been walking on eggshell for some time. Sooner or later he would brush with disaster.
    Get your two coats.....
    I think you're all glossing over the seriousness of this
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

So I generally support whistleblowing, ie people with privileged access to secret information publicizing it to reveal wrongdoing. However the *security camera* aspect of this thing seems kind of outrageous to me. I can't quite explain why watching and leaking the security camera footage is bad, but if it had been, say, a memo that the cleaner found and leaked that would have been good.

Selling security footage to a newspaper is not whistleblowing. There will be whistleblowing procedures at the DoH. If someone was concerned that the SOS was doing something improper, that should have been raised through the appropriate channels or to the senior civil servant in the Department or the Head of Legal or the Cabinet Secretary or even, possibly, the police.

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251

MaxPB said:

No way that could be taken out of context.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Will @sajidjavid want to appoint @didoharding to head @nhs? Saying no would be an early win with the public.
    https://twitter.com/adamboultonSKY/status/1408879288062038018

I really really hope that Hancock going means the end of any chance of this awful woman getting the NHS job. She was one of his best buddies too.
    Why was she so bad? genuine question, I thought she organised the testing, and we have had a lot of testing, is that not good? has she done/not done other things I'm not aware off?
    Look at her record. Useless at Talk Talk. Test'n'Trace described as the most colossal waste of public money. Unconvincing and pathetic answers to Select Committees. Her statement about wanting to remove foreign staff from the NHS etc. An over-promoted incompetent.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

No way that could be taken out of context.
    Nonsense, everyone knows I'm the master of nuance and subtlety. I am as subtle as I am modest.

By the way big shout out to the person who put the 'b' in subtle, now that is subtle.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    https://www.cvphm.org.uk/Wogglehopper.html

It's all go on Batley. Jumping over post boxes is the entertainment
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Poor performance from Italy to be fair
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Get your two coats.....
    I think you're all glossing over the seriousness of this
    ping said:

Poor performance from Italy to be fair

Poor second half, but good subs.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

Good riddance to Hancock.

Trying to tell everyone that they can't live their own lives, months after deaths stopped - only to be breaking the rules himself. It was ridiculous.

Another consequence of all this is that, *IF* (and, pray God, it doesn't come to this) the Government attempts to bring any of the restrictions back in the Autumn, any that aren't readily enforceable are liable to be ignored by almost everyone.

Many of us have suspected that the rules are being disregarded by other people, most of us have probably bent a few of them ourselves, and everyone knows that some of them are arbitrary and ridiculous anyway. After the cumulative effect of the Durham road trip and Hancock's extracurricular activities, all those who have made real sacrifices to comply - from not being able to see friends and family for months, right through to being forced to leave beloved relatives to die alone in hospital - are going to be left feeling like complete mugs. Which, in essence, they, we, all of us who obeyed any rule that we didn't want to obey at any point over the last 15 months, actually are.

To put it another way, if Johnson or Javid attempt to order us to cancel Christmas for a second year running, who's going to listen? Yes, the poor bloody pubs and restaurants would have to, because they operate from a limited number of fixed premises that can readily be descended upon by plods and local authority busybodies, but the public will all carry on regardless in their private homes. The Government can shove the Rule of Six and it's petty edicts about who people can meet, who they can hug and who they can fuck where the Sun don't shine.
    Unless there is really serious vaccine escape by xmas why would anyone listen to them?

As this tweet from an immunologist says - highly unlikely:

Andrew L. Croxford
    @andrew_croxford
    Replying to
    @andrew_croxford
    When observing vaccine escape discussions, one term that irks me is 'back to square one'. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's *really* unlikely. I expect vaccine escape to be a slow slide, and I reckon we are closer to the beginning of that process than the end.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Will @sajidjavid want to appoint @didoharding to head @nhs? Saying no would be an early win with the public.

I really really hope that Hancock going means the end of any chance of this awful woman getting the NHS job. She was one of his best buddies too.
    Why was she so bad? genuine question, I thought she organised the testing, and we have had a lot of testing, is that not good? has she done/not done other things I'm not aware off?
    Look at her record. Useless at Talk Talk. Test'n'Trace described as the most colossal waste of public money. Unconvincing and pathetic answers to Select Committees. Her statement about wanting to remove foreign staff from the NHS etc. An over-promoted incompetent.
    Sounds like she ticks all the boxes for a Boris appointee.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

That comment about foreigners is going to play particularly poorly with the new minister.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Sounds like she ticks all the boxes for a Boris appointee.
    Just the right person to be put in charge of protecting all our digital health data.

Not.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    On the betting markets, Holland @11.5/12 are value
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I have suspicion of Mail time lines - when it began, when wife knew - but that is brilliant brave face by wife. I feel sorry for her, simultaneously for everyone who put so much into marriages to have this done to them.

You can know someone for so long, and then they turn out to be someone else.

Is it love that leads people to hurt those they love? Or is Hancock a schmuck?.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,793

Possibly because it an invasion of privacy in the manner that a 'leaked memo' could never be?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    ping said:

On the betting markets, Holland @11.5/12 are value

Yep. The most impressive side thus far in our half of the draw.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

That comment about foreigners is going to play particularly poorly with the new minister.
    It was a stupid thing to say, as replacing our foreign doctors would require a sustained investment in undergraduate and postgraduate training for a decade, and probably nearly that for nurses.

A good aim, but a stupid policy to lead on, as too long term.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Do you think Sajid wants to increase NHS reliance on foreign staff?

Because despite Cyclefree's accusation, I don't believe Harding actually said "remove" them..
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Goodness. Can you actually post that?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

I have suspicion of Mail time lines - when it began, when wife knew - but that is brilliant brave face by wife. I feel sorry for her, simultaneously for everyone who put so much into marriages to have this done to them.

"It aĺl started in May."
    Put me down as a doubtful.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

Yes.

I'm the grandson of immigrants from Pakistan, the people who Powell railed against.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

well according to CNN we should be going through a 'racial reckoning'...
    There's two types of people you should avoid/ignore.

People who say the UK has no racial issues and those who say the UK is a bigoted society on the verge of exploding.
    A third category - anyone who simply transposes US racial issues onto the UK.
    Them too.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

Apparently, if you're not a paleface.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365
    Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

Not actually sure it was Dido's fault T&T was a waste of money. She didn't make the decision to do a metric fucktonne of testing; she was given a metric fucktonne of money and told to do as much testing as possible. Which she did. It was of highly marginal benefit, but it was of highly marginal benefit everywhere in the west. But I've had several encounters with the test side of T&T, and I'd say it was actually quite impressively efficient.

She may have been useless at TT though - I'm not in a position to say.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited June 2021
    Can anyone explain why Kim Leadbeater looks like toast in Batley despite the Hancock news? Has there been some internet polling tonight?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,793
    I feel sorry for Hancock. I suppose that life as a back bench MP as a fallback isn't too bad, but the family thing falling apart must be very difficult.

The government can seriously fuck off with their rules though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    So were there any other polls?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

"It aĺl started in May."
    May 1995 more like. Probably at one of the Oxford balls.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,473
    Brom said:

Can anyone explain why Kim Leadbeater looks like toast in Batley despite the Hancock news? Has there been some internet polling tonight?

Good question. I don't know.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Cookie said:

Not actually sure it was Dido's fault T&T was a waste of money. She didn't make the decision to do a metric fucktonne of testing; she was given a metric fucktonne of money and told to do as much testing as possible. Which she did. It was of highly marginal benefit, but it was of highly marginal benefit everywhere in the west. But I've had several encounters with the test side of T&T, and I'd say it was actually quite impressively efficient.

Testing is good, and even tracing seems to be decent now. But we did not hire 100,000 hard nuts to put the frighteners on people who are supposed to be self-isolating. So we don't get as much benefit from knowing who is infected as we might.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

"It aĺl started in May."
    Funny. But too soon..

He was born in 78.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

"It aĺl started in May."
    Yes, looks like a Friends Reunited affair, as part of a wider mid-life crisis.

• Options
    gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

I think men in particular reach middle age and start thinking with their di*k rather than their brain. They don't think about their families, just what they want. The whole strength of a long term relationship is based on the compromises you make with your other half. Part of that is not putting yourselves first. So yes, a schmuck.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

Volume of postal voting to date?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

MaxPB said:

And Zahawi, who's been in one of the most important jobs of the last year even if not heading a department, is an immigrant himself.
    Boris himself was born overseas and is the grandson of an immigrant isn't he?
  • Options
    I'd lay Italy.

No country has ever won the Euros/World Cup in the same year they've won Eurovision.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

It was a stupid thing to say, as replacing our foreign doctors would require a sustained investment in undergraduate and postgraduate training for a decade, and probably nearly that for nurses.

A good aim, but a stupid policy to lead on, as too long term.
    Shows she has no understand of even the basics of the situation in health.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Brom said:

The fundamentals haven't changed. We knew that the Government was very flawed before this, we knew that the Opposition was very weak before this, we knew that Labour was in real trouble in the North and Midlands before this, and we knew what George Galloway was like and whom he was likely to have success in targeting before this.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

Only if you pass the Tebbit Test
  • Options
    Brom said:

A move seemed to coincide with Hancock sacking assuming it will be popular with voters.
    Opinion seems to be settling on Gallows has taken more than enough votes from Labour - on a strong anti Israel protest platform - to more than sink Labour chances, so the only smart place for money is the Conservatives before it tightens.
    Does that help?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Fuck off Hancock :D
  • Options

I'd lay Italy.

No country has ever won the Euros/World Cup in the same year they've won Eurovision.

They possibly deserved to lose tonight but man for man I don’t think they’re all that. Take one out of the Chiellini Bonnuci partnership and they can be got at.

Equally they’re not playing in Rome again and will only face better teams. Definite lay for me.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,141
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Dom tweets

So Carrie appoints Saj! NB If I hadn't tricked PM into firing Saj, we'd have had a HMT with useless SoS/spads, no furlough scheme, total chaos instead of JOINT 10/11 team which was a big success. Saj = bog standard = chasing headlines + failing = awful for NHS. Need #RegimeChange

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1408866176323706891

Yes, Dom got Hancock sacked, but replaced by an even bigger enemy. These Tory court politics are brutal.
    I guess that is why Boris appointed Javid? To annoy Cummings
    Very plausible. That's about the level of his thinking.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

She was in charge. If you are in charge you take responsibility - and that includes for spending taxpayers money wisely.

Re NHS staff she said that she wanted to make the NHS "less reliant" on foreign staff. That shows a tin ear to all the staff in the NHS over decades who have come from overseas, including my own father, all the staff now working in it from overseas and all the staff who have died battling Covid, including some from overseas.

There are many challenges now facing the NHS - cancer care, for one. Worrying about where staff are born is an odd priority.
  • Options
    glw said:

Cookie said:

Testing is good, and even tracing seems to be decent now. But we did not hire 100,000 hard nuts to put the frighteners on people who are supposed to be self-isolating. So we don't get as much benefit from knowing who is infected as we might.
    I am not convinced that the Trace part is working. I know of friends of Fox jr2 who have tested positive but no contact to their flatmates from T and T.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

Only if you pass the Tebbit Test
    Just to be clear, that was a joke
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Brom said:

A move seemed to coincide with Hancock sacking assuming it will be popular with voters.
    Opinion seems to be settling on Gallows has taken more than enough votes from Labour - on a strong anti Israel protest platform - to more than sink Labour chances, so the only smart place for money is the Conservatives before it tightens.
    Does that help?
    Yes but it’s interesting the odds didn’t drift when the Hancock scandal was unveiled but the odds came in when he resigned. All noise IMO to suggest there is something more concrete going on in Batley suggesting either the Tory vote is solid or the Lab vote is flakey.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

Yes.

I'm the grandson of immigrants from Pakistan, the people who Powell railed against.
    Okay, but it’s still alarming to see such language these days, even for the palest of Celtic faces like mine. (I can get sun burnt in a window)

I don’t want to come over all patronising as David Brent - because we all love you TSE, please be very careful, especially in work. 👍🏻
  • Options
    Dido Harding has failed upwards, it is genuinely astonishing after her mess at TalkTalk that she was ever in a senior position again
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    gealbhan said:

Brom said:

Does that help?
    Just like punters got C&A so right - NOT
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

She was in charge. If you are in charge you take responsibility - and that includes for spending taxpayers money wisely.

Re NHS staff she said that she wanted to make the NHS "less reliant" on foreign staff. That shows a tin ear to all the staff in the NHS over decades who have come from overseas, including my own father, all the staff now working in it from overseas and all the staff who have died battling Covid, including some from overseas.

There are many challenges now facing the NHS - cancer care, for one. Worrying about where staff are born is an odd priority.
    Indeed, probably the most useful thing that a new head of the NHS could do would be to relax the requirements to register in the UK and recognise postgraduate qualifications by the NMC/ GMC.

I am working on a research project with an excellent and knowledgeable Chinese doctor who cannot get on the medical register despite trying for over a year.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

Volume of postal voting to date?
    I haven't seen any info on postal voting so far.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,115
    Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_xP said:

It was supposed to be Test *and* Trace, but all we ever really got was Test large numbers to meet the Minister's target - a great big waste of time and money.

It achieved very little in terms of: (1) Ensuring that the infectious were isolated to reduce transmission, (2) Tracing contacts (let alone contacts of contacts) so that transmission from them could be prevented, (3) Identifying where transmission was happening.
  • Options

Russia Today presenter, George Galloway, has blocked me on Twitter.

Count yourself lucky.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,382

Count yourself lucky.
    What did you say to upset him?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Gove’s affair is pretty much common knowledge at this point.

There’s no evidence he is breaking any covid rules, but as Minister for Cabinet Office all that dodgy procurement stuff does lead in his direction.

He also has form for secret email accounts, as Cummings knows well.

Lol who is it with
  • Options
    Brom said:

I am not betting on this by-election, i have no special knowledge.

but, I would think the tory vote up their is pretty Brexitey, (including one time Lab voters, and Brexit party voters) if a significant portion decide not to vote tory this time, they may go to GG

GG is not popular on here and I'm not a particular fan, but to some of these voters, A one time Labour man who supported Brexit, doesn't should that bad, if you are not going to dig in to everything he has ones sead or done.

I don't know, but maybe 5% to 10% of voters could more form Tory to GG but that might not help Lab if they all go we should be something like:

GG: 33%
    Lab: 31%
    Tory: 29%
    LD + Others: 7%

If they don't move to GG in large numbers then its a Tory Gain. ether way its hard, but not impossible to see Lab winning,

I'm ready for events to prove me wrong!
  • Options
    Not sure why Hancock would use Gmail for his dodgy activities, surely a throwaway would be better
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Brom said:

Does that help?
    Just like punters got C&A so right - NOT
    The punters also had Lab favourites in Hartlepool for ludicrously long after it was crystal clear to many that they were going to lose.
  • Options

LOL, Why? did you ask something difficult?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

Count yourself lucky.
    And in good company.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

Press are scum. Why is her picture here? What has she done? Pathetic.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

For a moment I thought the Mail was saying that Javid was the new wife, looking at that layout
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Pulpstar said:

There’s no evidence he is breaking any covid rules, but as Minister for Cabinet Office all that dodgy procurement stuff does lead in his direction.

Lol who is it with
    It seems difficult to believe, but that is what we are being nudge-nudged to assume by Popbitch and now Dianne Abbott.

Gove always seems a ticking time bomb. He can’t be happy, can he?, hiding in the Cabinet Office while Carrie Johnson runs the actual country.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    BigRich said:

Brom said:

but, I would think the tory vote up their is pretty Brexitey, (including one time Lab voters, and Brexit party voters) if a significant portion decide not to vote tory this time, they may go to GG

GG is not popular on here and I'm not a particular fan, but to some of these voters, A one time Labour man who supported Brexit, doesn't should that bad, if you are not going to dig in to everything he has ones sead or done.

I don't know, but maybe 5% to 10% of voters could more form Tory to GG but that might not help Lab if they all go we should be something like:

If they don't move to GG in large numbers then its a Tory Gain. ether way its hard, but not impossible to see Lab winning,

Given that CON government is currently in biggest meltdown since 1832 it will take a lot of explaining by Keir if LAB don't win Batley and Spen 👍
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Brom said:

Does that help?
    Yes but it’s interesting the odds didn’t drift when the Hancock scandal was unveiled but the odds came in when he resigned. All noise IMO to suggest there is something more concrete going on in Batley suggesting either the Tory vote is solid or the Lab vote is flakey.
    Yesterday people were instructed who they would be voting for. If word has got out to some punters that the choice was GG, then they'll have bet accordingly.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Brom said:

Interesting post. I was having similar thoughts about the by-election.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    BigRich said:

Brom said:

GG is not going to win. GG is not even interested in winning.

He is interested in fatally damaging Starmer.

He may well succeed.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Lol who is it with
    It seems difficult to believe, but that is what we are being nudge-nudged to assume by Popbitch and now Dianne Abbott.

Gove always seems a ticking time bomb. He can’t be happy, can he?, hiding in the Cabinet Office while Carrie Johnson runs the actual country.
    🧝‍♀️🥜 is doing a popular job of it so far!
  • Options

BigRich said:

Brom said:

He may well succeed.
    Is that actually good or bad news for the Conservatives?
  • Options

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Brom said:

Does that help?
    Yesterday people were instructed who they would be voting for. If word has got out to some punters that the choice was GG, then they'll have bet accordingly.
    That sounds depressingly plausible. Friday prayers.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

I think men in particular reach middle age and start thinking with their di*k rather than their brain. They don't think about their families, just what they want. The whole strength of a long term relationship is based on the compromises you make with your other half. Part of that is not putting yourselves first. So yes, a schmuck.
    I'd diagnose differently. Hancock has been under constant, relentless pressure for 16 months in a pandemic that has killed 150,000 people and could have killed more. He's also not very good. Why anyone should be surprised that that leads to wild, erratic or impetuous behaviour is beyond me. What's his motivation? An attempt to gain control? Something to bury himself in to forget what's happening? Just a reaction against all the shit that has gone down? Who knows. If he needed a way out, it has given him that.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Lol who is it with

Well he's an admitted Cocaine user. Not that I care, he can take whatever drugs he likes, but it's not something most of the Tory faithfull would approve.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

BigRich said:

Brom said:

He may well succeed.
    IMO, SKS will lose if up against Boris in GE 2024.

So, it is bad news for the Tories if SKS is replaced (unless of course Labour manage to find someone worse for the leadership).
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    CatMan said:

Pulpstar said:

Lol who is it with

Well he's an admitted Cocaine user. Not that I care, he can take whatever drugs he likes, but it's not something most of the Tory faithfull would approve.
    What makes you think the Tory faithful care?

Boris has admitted to trying Cocaine and he won a landslide victory by the Tory faithful over Hunt, then a landslide majority over Labour.

Dave admitted to 'having a past' with drugs too and he was the only other leader elected by the Tory faithful, again by a landslide over Davis.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    gealbhan said:

BigRich said:

Brom said:

He may well succeed.
    Not that Starmer is very good but its awful news for Labour as the hard left will have another go at taking over.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

BigRich said:

Brom said:

He may well succeed.
    IMO, SKS will lose if up against Boris in GE 2024.

So, it is bad news for the Tories if SKS is replaced (unless of course Labour manage to find someone worse for the leadership).
    Your opinion noted, but surely the Conservatives actually fear a Boris v Starmer General Election as much as George Galloway and the Corbynites fear it? The GE is a different sort of election than the others, it’s that person or that person for Downing Street.
    If a GE was held this summer, Boris most likely remain PM with slightly reduced majority. But in 2 or 3 years time, the match up could play very differently.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

That’s a badge of honour.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:

I'd diagnose differently. Hancock has been under constant, relentless pressure for 16 months in a pandemic that has killed 150,000 people and could have killed more. He's also not very good. Why anyone should be surprised that that leads to wild, erratic or impetuous behaviour is beyond me. What's his motivation? An attempt to gain control? Something to bury himself in to forget what's happening? Just a reaction against all the shit that has gone down? Who knows. If he needed a way out, it has given him that.
    ... or he could have sat down with his wife at the end of the day, had a drink and talked through the madness with her to re-ground himself. Spent what time he could at the weekend with the kids and learn to cook some new meals. Use his family to help cope with the pressure. It's what most of us do.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Must be a relief :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.