Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories drop 5 and UKIP up 3 in this week’s Ashcroft nationa

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,347
    edited July 2014

surbiton said:

Is there any proof that the Russian rebels did it ? Who is providing this proof ?

So you watch alot of RT then (Russian tv channel) ;-)
    Do you watch a lot of BBC then (UK TV channel) :)
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

PoliticsHome @politicshome

Tomorrow's @TheTimes front page: 'Stop selling warships to Russia, PM tells France'

Hollande should strike back and say "Stop letting Russia us ethe City of London" !

How do we know it was not the Nazi loving Ukranians ?
    More likely to be Stalin-loving Russians

Are we talking about the man who defeated Nazi Germany until Johnny come lately Yanks joined in at the fag end to carve up Germany and take the Nazi scientists.
    Very handy of him, and a tremendous and brave sacrifice and loss by the Russian people to do that service. I think Stalin still ends up in the negative column overall though.
    Which was why the Russians themselves renamed Stalingrad to Volgograd
    Although on a few days a year, significant dates of the battle, it renames itself Stalingrad for the day.

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

BobaFett said:

Apologies for the language

But what fecking Bell end thought starting a test match in England on a SUNDAY was a good idea?

Is that what's happening? You have got to be kidding - the scheduling has got worse and worse in recent times and this is the zenith of the malaise.

That the Test won't include a Friday or a Saturday is a disgrace - yet more evidence that the schedulers have completely lost touch with the paying public.

Or maybe they are just being kind to us.
    Yeah, next test starts Sunday.
    Start it after lunch, finish around 9pm. Reduced tickets for evening only attendance.

I'll take 1% commission and Robert's an 18th century prime minister who might be related to your mother.
    A day night test?

Nooooo
    Why not?
    Because of the fact that a red ball is hard to see with the floodlights on.
    Pink's a lovely colour.
    Tell that to Morris Dancer, he thought my pink and blue shirt was awful
    Context is everything, and fashion advice from a morris dancer should be taken in a context of caution.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MrJones said:

I see that the usual suspects, driven by irrational dislike of Cameron, are coming out in support of Putin.

To which I can only say: Blimey.

You don't think Cameron demanding sacrifices from France and Germany while protecting the City might wind them up a tad?

(not that i mind)
    He's not protecting the City, is he? This is what Osborne said:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/21/uk-ukraine-crisis-sanctions-britain-idUKKBN0FQ0JU20140721

Maybe so and time will tell but *currently* that's an unspecified maybe whereas the French boats are very specific with a very specific price tag so *currently* in terms of leading from the front i'd say his comments were very much in the wind-up zone.

(not that i mind)

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

surbiton said:

There speaks a Tory. Moral humbug, then, looking after number 1 !

Not having a taxpayer-funded, guaranteed, inflation-proofed pension like many Labour supporters, I have to try to protect things as much as I can. Even so, I have already been shafted by Brown's pension raid, and by the EU with its insane directive forbidding insurance companies from taking actuarial data into account, and by the appalling annuity rates now on offer - none of which blows hits Harriet Harman, or Ed Miliband, or indeed any of those teachers, policemen or civil servants who have been striking because they think they are hard done by.

So I make no apology for what I hope is sensible planning, given that I take 100% of the risk - unlike typical Labour supporters, who take 0%.
    15-0
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MrJones said:

I see that the usual suspects, driven by irrational dislike of Cameron, are coming out in support of Putin.

You don't think Cameron demanding sacrifices from France and Germany while protecting the City might wind them up a tad?

(not that i mind)

Kippers hate the EU so much they would rather get into bed with an adversary of the EU such as Putin.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited July 2014

surbiton said:

Is there any proof that the Russian rebels did it ? Who is providing this proof ?

surbiton said:

Do you watch a lot of BBC then (UK TV channel) :)
    No,I watch alot of RT Comrade ;-)

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Ishmael_X said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

@bigjohnowls

Clearly so.

The moves have been at the margin. A notable feature of my ARSE projection has been the stability of the numbers within a narrow range. However this shouldn't be too much of a surprise as the factors within the projection have so far been correctly forecast.

OK I am obviously new to this with my BJESUS but the volaitlity of your Arse is much more over last 6 weeks than my BJESUS. Why?
    I can't account for your own pale imitation but I'm unaware of any significant volatility over the last six weeks for my ARSE.

The range for Labour has been 271-282 and the Conservatives 307-315.

315/271 = lead of 44 down to 307/282? = lead of 25 thats volatile! 12 more weeks of that trend and EICIPM!!

BJESUS LAB 329-331 range Tories 263-268 range
    Why would we take your projection seriously when you tell us literally every day that you don't understand how projections work? Baxtering yougov doesn't really cut it, except as a way of discrediting your own methodology.
    My methodology adjusts for what i consider a realistic amount of swingback. 319 days when i first started now down to 288 days in tomorrows BJESUS

We will see how far adrift I am come May 2015.

I could be wrong we will see what is your projection?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Actually, I don't. Where is the proof ? I hope it is better than Man did not land on the Moon.
    There may never be proof. What will you believe then? So far most of the circumstantial evidence seems to point towards Moscow's thugs in "Novorossiya".

• Options
    perdix said:

MrJones said:

(not that i mind)

Kippers hate the EU so much they would rather get into bed with an adversary of the EU such as Putin.

Maybe so but that still doesn't change the fact that Cameron is telling the French to do something the UK isn't doing (at least not yet).

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,511
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

BobaFett said:

But what fecking Bell end thought starting a test match in England on a SUNDAY was a good idea?

Is that what's happening? You have got to be kidding - the scheduling has got worse and worse in recent times and this is the zenith of the malaise.

That the Test won't include a Friday or a Saturday is a disgrace - yet more evidence that the schedulers have completely lost touch with the paying public.

Start it after lunch, finish around 9pm. Reduced tickets for evening only attendance.

I'll take 1% commission and Robert's an 18th century prime minister who might be related to your mother.
    A day night test?

Nooooo
    Why not?
    Pink's a lovely colour.
    Context is everything, and fashion advice from a morris dancer should be taken in a context of caution.
    I'm with Sir Thomas Beecham
  • Options

surbiton said:

Tomorrow's @TheTimes front page: 'Stop selling warships to Russia, PM tells France'

Hollande should strike back and say "Stop letting Russia us ethe City of London" !

They love Stalin?
    The Ukrainians love Hitler?

The Right Sector seem to.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_Sector
  • Options

Which warships are these???
    helicopter carriers worth a billion or so each
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Getting a consensus from all the European leaders on where and when to apply what to whom, is not going to be quick.
    But it lets them grandstand to their electorate
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,838
    I assume getting a few minutes with the US President really does help LOTO in some way, otherwise the sheer desperation given off when they try it (or even when they are PM) is pretty wasted. It feels like a prospective regional governor or ambassador seeking approval from the Emperor.

And Ed and those before him should know if you want to be ambassador at least, or similar level, they'll listen to you more if you raise a few million for the USA party of choice. Instead he just has to rely on being the next likely PM to be listened to, and that won't take you far at the White House.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

BobaFett said:

A day night test?

Nooooo
    Why not?
    Pink's a lovely colour.
    ...?

As a side note, what's the over/under on how long before 20/20 becomes the primary form of the game?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    One thing the Ukranian lovers cannot get away from is the make up of the Ukranian government. What kind of coalition would you call it, if in Britain there were 5 BNP Ministers in it ?

This cannot be glossed over.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    Surbiton - Your comment was unacceptable.

Calling someone a piece of shit again or a similar comment in the future will see your right to instantly publish revoked.
  • Options

surbiton said:

They love Stalin?

You can find neo-Nazi right and neo-Soviet left in all countries, probably in Russia and Ukraine about equally. If either of Russia and Ukriane were to be said to have a general fairly ideology-free but crypto-fascist state I would say it was Putin's Russia.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn

Our p1 tomorrow: Abramovich and other London oligarchs facing bank account and asset freezes next (ht @Stig Abell) pic.twitter.com/KysxOC8fwR

Any Chelsea fans on here ;-)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,511
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

BobaFett said:

A day night test?

Nooooo
    Why not?
    Pink's a lovely colour.
    ...?

As a side note, what's the over/under on how long before 20/20 becomes the primary form of the game?
    When Sir Thomas Beecham said "in this life try everything once, except incest and morris dancing" he may have inadvertently hit on something

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/emmahartley/8218867/Morris_dancing_is_less_sexy_than_incest/
  • Options
    By the way it's Pooteen or Pootyeen (actually somewhere between the two) rather than Pewtin.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    The history of the Second World War in Ukraine is complex and exceedingly unsavoury. At various times, in various areas, there was support for both the invading Germans and the Soviets, and there was (as in many other areas of eastern Europe) a perturbing degree of local involvement in the most horrendous atrocities:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Nazi_Empire_Building_and_the_Holocaust_i.html?id=UwDmUJWdcJkC
  • Options

Our p1 tomorrow: Abramovich and other London oligarchs facing bank account and asset freezes next (ht @Stig Abell) pic.twitter.com/KysxOC8fwR

I suddenly might change and support the government.
  • Options

surbiton said:

They love Stalin?

You can find neo-Nazi right and neo-Soviet left in all countries, probably in Russia and Ukraine about equally. If either of Russia and Ukriane were to be said to have a general fairly ideology-free but crypto-fascist state I would say it was Putin's Russia.

There are 5 Nazi Ministers in the government for heaven's sake. Putin has dictatorial tendencies, yes. But he is no Nazi !!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

One thing the Ukranian lovers cannot get away from is the make up of the Ukranian government. What kind of coalition would you call it, if in Britain there were 5 BNP Ministers in it ?

I don't think it is relevant when they are facing a neo-colonialist neighbour. Putin doesn't get to nick bits of another country because we don't like the makeup of its government.

• Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

They love Stalin?

There are 5 Nazi Ministers in the government for heaven's sake. Putin has dictatorial tendencies, yes. But he is no Nazi !!
    Well in terms of invading the Ukraine...

• Options
    @JohnLilburne

Israel seems to manage? and ISIS are having a fair old go of it as well?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MrJones said:

Really? I thought the Russians were capable of building their own helicopter carriers (eg. Moskva and Leningrad during the Cold War).
  • Options

By the way it's Pooteen or Pootyeen (actually somewhere between the two) rather than Pewtin.

Isn't that first one a Canadian dish of chips, gravy and cheese?

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited July 2014
    surbiton said:

So I make no apology for what I hope is sensible planning, given that I take 100% of the risk - unlike typical Labour supporters, who take 0%.

What's going on over there, is it National Partisan Stereotyping Day or something?
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

They love Stalin?

An invader ? I see. You smart bugger. So, Bush and Blair are also Nazis. Heaven forbid, dare I say, the Israelis...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

Will this be the peak of Mayfair property prices ?
  • Options

surbiton said:

I don't think it is relevant when they are facing a neo-colonialist neighbour. Putin doesn't get to nick bits of another country because we don't like the makeup of its government.

Indeed. Especially as its makeup in no small part is affected by his actions, which whatever the support for his takeover in Crimea, which of course he lied about the details all the way through, have crossed the line, literally, many times, and which forms part of a recognizable pattern of his.

Night all.
  • Options
    @edmundintokyo
    Every day is partisan day in our happy world :-)
  • Options

Yes, me.

I've been warning people on a Chelsea site that this could be an issue, they seem to think that Abramovich is too smart and will have spread his assets around the world. They don't seem to realise that you cannot hide Chelsea FC!

Not sure how the ownership of the club is made up but Abramovich has around £700m in interest free loans attached to the club which could be an issue.
  • Options

MrJones said:

Really? I thought the Russians were capable of building their own helicopter carriers (eg. Moskva and Leningrad during the Cold War).
    capable or not they ordered two (IIRC) from the French for some reason
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

surbiton said:

What's going on over there, is it National Partisan Stereotyping Day or something?
    In my case it is sensible planning day, I hope, in response not to the shooting-down of the airliner, but to the possibility of sanctions.

I might be wrong, of course. DYOR.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Ishmael_X said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

@bigjohnowls

Clearly so.

The moves have been at the margin. A notable feature of my ARSE projection has been the stability of the numbers within a narrow range. However this shouldn't be too much of a surprise as the factors within the projection have so far been correctly forecast.

OK I am obviously new to this with my BJESUS but the volaitlity of your Arse is much more over last 6 weeks than my BJESUS. Why?
    I can't account for your own pale imitation but I'm unaware of any significant volatility over the last six weeks for my ARSE.

The range for Labour has been 271-282 and the Conservatives 307-315.

315/271 = lead of 44 down to 307/282? = lead of 25 thats volatile! 12 more weeks of that trend and EICIPM!!

BJESUS LAB 329-331 range Tories 263-268 range
    Why would we take your projection seriously when you tell us literally every day that you don't understand how projections work? Baxtering yougov doesn't really cut it, except as a way of discrediting your own methodology.
    My methodology adjusts for what i consider a realistic amount of swingback. 319 days when i first started now down to 288 days in tomorrows BJESUS

We will see how far adrift I am come May 2015.

I could be wrong we will see what is your projection?
    The way things are at the moment I have as much confidence in projections as to whether it will rain on 7 May 2015 as in election outcome predictions. I am just suggesting that it would add gravitas and credibility to BJESUS if you followed Jack's lead and treated us to weekly bulletins rather than the daily Baxtering nonsense.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Yes, me.

I've been warning people on a Chelsea site that this could be an issue, they seem to think that Abramovich is too smart and will have spread his assets around the world. They don't seem to realise that you cannot hide Chelsea FC!

Not sure how the ownership of the club is made up but Abramovich has around £700m in interest free loans attached to the club which could be an issue.
    Why not nationalise the Club and give it to the Supporters ? It would be a boost to the local economy. And a hundred years of litigation... Also, a boost to the economy. Win - win , I say.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

They love Stalin?

I don't think Svoboda are Nazis. You will probably trot out something simplistic about Bandera, but then when you are caught between Stalin and Hitler there is no right and wrong. Stalin had just killed 4 million Ukrainians.

I repeat my assertion: this is a straw man. The makeup of the Ukrainian government has no bearing on whether Putin should foment armed rebellion on Ukrainian soil and nick bits of their territory, nor shoot down foreign airliners by proxy.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited July 2014
    Black night for tired squirrels.

T-Minus 6937 hours....tic toc
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

You could move the IP offshore. It may well be a tax-efficient thing to do in the first place...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yes, me.

Why not nationalise the Club and give it to the Supporters. I would be a boost to the local economy. And a hundred years of litigation... Also, a boost to the economy. Win - win , I say.
    The pitch and name is owned by Chelsea Pitch Owners, set up by Ken Bates to keep the developers at bay back in the 80's. One reason the club has not been able to move to a new stadium is the refusal of the CPO to sell the shares to the club.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

They love Stalin?

An invader ? I see. You smart bugger. So, Bush and Blair are also Nazis. Heaven forbid, dare I say, the Israelis...
    So you disagree with invading Iraq and Gaza, but for some reason the Ukraine is fair game?

• Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

They love Stalin?

I don't think Svoboda are Nazis. You will probably trot out something simplistic about Bandera, but then when you are caught between Stalin and Hitler there is no right and wrong. Stalin had just killed 4 million Ukrainians.

I repeat my assertion: this is a straw man. The makeup of the Ukrainian government has no bearing on whether Putin should foment armed rebellion on Ukrainian soil and nick bits of their territory, nor shoot down foreign airliners by proxy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svoboda_(political_party)

Just read the paragraph on History and have a close look at the symbol.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

I seem to have found it:

On December 24, 2010, Russian President Dmitriy Medvedev announced France as the winner of a tender to build four Mistral-class ships for Russia.[34] As the MISTRAL project continues it has been plagued with controversy with arguments that the ships are not required, that Russian ship builders could have built a similar vessel and that they cost too much. In January 2013, Russian Deputy Prime Minister for the Defence Industry Dmitriy Rogozin has been critical about the purchase of French helicopter carriers Mistral. The contracts signed in 2011 had been also criticized by first deputy head of the Military-Industrial Commission Ivan Kharchenko, who blamed former Defence Minister Anatoliy Serdyukov. "It is very strange that we, given our climate, are purchasing ships to transport troops that do not work at temperatures below seven degrees," Rogozin said at a general meeting of the Academy of Military Sciences on Saturday 26 January 2013.[35]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_the_Russian_Navy
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

I seem to have found it:

On December 24, 2010, Russian President Dmitriy Medvedev announced France as the winner of a tender to build four Mistral-class ships for Russia.[34] As the MISTRAL project continues it has been plagued with controversy with arguments that the ships are not required, that Russian ship builders could have built a similar vessel and that they cost too much. In January 2013, Russian Deputy Prime Minister for the Defence Industry Dmitriy Rogozin has been critical about the purchase of French helicopter carriers Mistral. The contracts signed in 2011 had been also criticized by first deputy head of the Military-Industrial Commission Ivan Kharchenko, who blamed former Defence Minister Anatoliy Serdyukov. "It is very strange that we, given our climate, are purchasing ships to transport troops that do not work at temperatures below seven degrees," Rogozin said at a general meeting of the Academy of Military Sciences on Saturday 26 January 2013.[35]

maybe they ordered them as a diplomatic bargaining chip?

• Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Really ? Europe buys Russian gas which they need to. Not because of their love for Russia.

They don't need to buy (or, to be more precise, trade) oil and metals.

This is going to get very nasty, and there will be collateral economic damage. The Dutch in particular are key to this, and the UK. The Germans will probably try to drag their feet, but will bend under pressure from the rest of the EU and from the US.

As I posted earlier, I've sold out completely from the BP and Shell holdings I have in my retirement fund.
    As I posted earlier, I've sold out completely from the BP and Shell holdings I have in my retirement fund

This is a betting site, Surbiton !
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

They love Stalin?

So you disagree with invading Iraq and Gaza, but for some reason the Ukraine is fair game?

No. I don't think it is fair game. Crimea was "given" to Ukraine in 1954 by Khruschev who himself was from the Donbass. Crimea was always Russian, they speak Russian and are Russian. Just because one Russian dictator gave it to another Soviet state does not make it correct.

Khruschev wanted to increase the Russian speaking population of Ukraine, part of the great plan to annex Ukraine [ and other Soviet Republics ] gradually.

Surprisingly, for a Tory, you seem to be supporting Khruschev.

What about the right of self determination of the Russian speaking people of the Crimea - about 75%.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Yes, me.

Why not nationalise the Club and give it to the Supporters. I would be a boost to the local economy. And a hundred years of litigation... Also, a boost to the economy. Win - win , I say.
    The pitch and name is owned by Chelsea Pitch Owners, set up by Ken Bates to keep the developers at bay back in the 80's. One reason the club has not been able to move to a new stadium is the refusal of the CPO to sell the shares to the club.
    Good old "Penny in the pound" Bates...
  • Options
    @MrJones

What's the winter temperature like in the Black Sea?
  • Options
    @RichardNabavi

The history of the Second World War in Ukraine is complex and exceedingly unsavoury. At various times, in various areas, there was support for both the invading Germans and the Soviets, and there was (as in many other areas of eastern Europe) a perturbing degree of local involvement in the most horrendous atrocities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacres_of_Poles_in_Volhynia_and_Eastern_Galicia
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

They love Stalin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svoboda_(political_party)

Just read the paragraph on History and have a close look at the symbol.
    It seems to have had a dodgy past. But then so do many left-ish parties in or close to government in Eastern Europe.

In any case: let's judge the Ukrainian government on what it does.

And maybe we need to swap Wikipedia pages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Although I have just learned a new word: Moskaly "a derogatory term for either Russians or pan-Russian nationalists" which seems to be a good way to describe you and the other Putinistas on here.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MrJones

no idea
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MrJones

Dunno but its lovely in the summer !
  • Options

Swingback is taking place - to Labour !
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @MrJones

It is what this crap is all about.
    Putin needs the Crimea for access to the Black sea, and was not keen on having his main naval base controlled by Europe and America.
    The rest is general consequences
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

I seem to have found it:

maybe they ordered them as a diplomatic bargaining chip?

Possible, as the article says, Russian yards could have built the ships more cheaply.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Nothing at all is happening, as Bobajobb and a few others have pointed out...

Lab lead of 4 over Con.

Ashcroft's polls are volatile individually because of a small effective sample size - I'd venture to guess this one is on the low end of the Con Margin of Error (As others of his have been on the high side)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Dr Stephen Fisher's next model projection will show Ed Miliband PM I'd venture to guess.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    surbiton said:

So we now have swingback, when do we get the Cameroonian crossover?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MrJones

It is what this crap is all about.
    Putin needs the Crimea for access to the Black sea, and was not keen on having his main naval base controlled by Europe and America.
    The rest is general consequences

ah, see what you mean, yes
  • Options
    surbiton said:

No. I don't think it is fair game. Crimea was "given" to Ukraine in 1954 by Khruschev who himself was from the Donbass. Crimea was always Russian, they speak Russian and are Russian. Just because one Russian dictator gave it to another Soviet state does not make it correct.

Khruschev wanted to increase the Russian speaking population of Ukraine, part of the great plan to annex Ukraine [ and other Soviet Republics ] gradually.

What about the right of self determination of the Russian speaking people of the Crimea - about 75%.

Wrong, the Crimea was always Tatar speaking and it was Russian colonialism that drove them out. Stalin deported most of the remaining ones to Siberia or somewhere. I understand they had been returning, had their language protected as a minority language, and are now trying to get out as they don't trust Putin's thugs.

You are making the assumption that all the 75% of Russian-speaking Crimeans want to join the thugocracy. Some of them might. That is like assuming that all English-speaking Welshmen are in fact English and want to be ruled by England. What happened is that Putin engineered its annexation, he wants to keep his warm-water port. Yes maybe a majority of Crimeans might have wanted to join Russia but the way it was done was annexation pure and simple.

The machinations of internal politics in the Soviet Union are really neither here nor there. When the Soviet Union broke up, the Ukraine became a Westphalian nation state and entitled to maintain its borders and answer to no-one above them.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,872
    surbiton said:

Cult of personality surrounding the leader, emphasis on an almost mystical connection between that leader and Nature, disregard of constitutional proprieties in attaining positions of power, physical and legal intimidation of opposition politicians, wearing military iconography without entitlement, co-opting the support of the local wealthy by promising growth and maximum security, diverting population disquiet at a sluggish economy by identifying, stigmatising and assaulting a minority group, casting the leader as the head of a moral crusade against the decadent West, attracting global sporting events and using them for propaganda purposes...

• Options
    Sunil_Prasannan

Russian ships are generally more heavily built due to sea conditions.
    If these carriers were intended purely for the Black Sea, they might have decided to go for the French design and yards initially, and build their replacements later?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

surbiton said:

Wrong, the Crimea was always Tatar speaking

Even before the Turkic expansion during the Middle Ages?
  • Options

surbiton said:

I imagine you might have found the odd Pontic Greek. But no longer relevant as an existing ethno linguistic minority (and not a good example of Russian colonialism either).

Anyway, enough of a stimulating argument with the site's resident Moskaly, I need to bed.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    viewcode said:

surbiton said:

Cult of personality surrounding the leader, emphasis on an almost mystical connection between that leader and Nature, disregard of constitutional proprieties in attaining positions of power, physical and legal intimidation of opposition politicians, wearing military iconography without entitlement, co-opting the support of the local wealthy by promising growth and maximum security, diverting population disquiet at a sluggish economy by identifying, stigmatising and assaulting a minority group, casting the leader as the head of a moral crusade against the decadent West, attracting global sporting events and using them for propaganda purposes...

No need to bring Alex Salmond into this :)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @surbiton

'Is there any proof that the Russian rebels did it ? Who is providing this proof ?'

If there was proof you would still find a way of not believing it or discrediting the source.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

Sunil_Prasannan

Russian ships are generally more heavily built due to sea conditions.
    If these carriers were intended purely for the Black Sea, they might have decided to go for the French design and yards initially, and build their replacements later?

Sounds plausible.
  • Options

surbiton said:

I imagine you might have found the odd Pontic Greek. But no longer relevant as an existing ethno linguistic minority (and not a good example of Russian colonialism either).

Anyway, enough of a stimulating argument with the site's resident Moskaly, I need to bed.
    спокойной ночи :)
  • Options
    @viewcode

To be fair, it is not far off a description of Camerons Government?
  • Options

surbiton said:

I imagine you might have found the odd Pontic Greek.
    Before I go, interesting to note that the Greek placenames of the Crimea have nothing to do with the Pontic Greeks, they were made up by the Russians. Sebastopol was named after Catherine the Great (sebastos = augustus).

• Options
    viewcode said:

surbiton said:

(continued)

Originally acceding to leadership post courtesy of a befuddled elder statesman but exceeding the bounds of that post. Aspirations to hold power until death. Gaining the loyalty of the military by increasing expenditure past the point it can be sustained by the local economy...

• Options

surbiton said:

I imagine you might have found the odd Pontic Greek.
    Before I go, interesting to note that the Greek placenames of the Crimea have nothing to do with the Pontic Greeks, they were made up by the Russians. Sebastopol was named after Catherine the Great (sebastos = augustus).

So? I'm sure there are many place names in the Americas and Australia that don't have Native American or Aboriginal origins.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

surbiton said:

(continued)

Originally acceding to leadership post courtesy of a befuddled elder statesman but exceeding the bounds of that post. Aspirations to hold power until death. Gaining the loyalty of the military by increasing expenditure past the point it can be sustained by the local economy...

(continued)

Aspirations to enforce local hegemony by integrating surrounding countries, using as a pretext the existence of ethnically-similar populations in those countries. Blaming the unaligned population of those countries for their country's annexation. Denying responsibility for military action to other world leaders, long past the point where such denial is plausible...
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    john_zims said:

@surbiton

'Is there any proof that the Russian rebels did it ? Who is providing this proof ?'

If there was proof you would still find a way of not believing it or discrediting the source.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions about MH17, I would urge everyone to have a look at the following 3 links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXQ_8_KUT3w&feature=youtu.be

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-21/russia-says-has-photos-ukraine-deploying-buk-missiles-east-rader-proof-warplanes-mh1

http://www.acting-man.com/?p=31876

So much mis-information on this around. Whatever the underlying truth, there is a very hidden US Russian energy war behind all of this. The Syrian conflict had its roots in the same underlying issue. Many misdemeanours on both sides, and certainly not the horrid jingoistic coverage that passed off in our mainstream media and press yesterday.
  • Options
    @JohnLilburne

Actually several Crimean towns do have Greek origins.

For example Yevpatoriya was originally a Greek colony dating back to the pre-Roman era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevpatoriya
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

An important article on the possible EU response to events in Ukraine:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/21/ukraine-crisis-sanctions-idUSL6N0PW1Y920140721

A couple of points made in that article look questionable to me, though:

- I suspect the journalists are underestimating the degree of outrage in Holland. Are there any PBers in Holland who could comment on this?

- The article cites this as an argument against the proposition that there will be sanctions: "According to U.N. data, excluding Russian gas exports - around $60 billion a year - the Netherlands was Russia's biggest export destination last year, mostly oil and metals". Surely that is the wrong way round? That sounds like a strong bargaining chip in Dutch and/or EU hands, not the reverse,

You really inviting comment from @FluffyThoughts?

@Patrick might have a view
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yes, me.

Why not nationalise the Club and give it to the Supporters ? It would be a boost to the local economy. And a hundred years of litigation... Also, a boost to the economy. Win - win , I say.
    Sounds like a good idea. Very America (cf Pfizer, Merck and Schering)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

"Crimea was always Russian" - always defined being "since Catherine the Great invaded the Kingdom of Lithuania and seized the land of Crimea from the Mengu Khans"

"They speak Russian and are Russian" reflecting the fact that the Tatars were ethnically cleansed and sent to Siberia in the 1950s(?)
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited July 2014
    I have enjoyed reading the comments on Ukraine. I think the quality of debate here would put the MSM to shame as you have nailed most of the key elements. The control of broadcasting and education and language for new Russians in Ukraine are also an issue.

Quite often it is the new arrivals who are the most nationalistic of all and resent those who lived there previously; a case could be mounted for post WW2 jews being the most viciferous in Israel when for 1300 years people had lived together in relative harmony, and to a lesser extent Northern Ireland, where another border nominally chosen along ethnic lines, but not following those lines accurately has caused trouble ever since.

(I say that with a catholic daughter brought up in Strabane 1km inside Northern Ireland.)
  • Options

I have enjoyed reading the comments on Ukraine. I think the quality of debate here would put the MSM to shame as you have nailed most of the key elements. The control of broadcasting and education and language for new Russians in Ukraine are also an issue.

Quite often it is the new arrivals who are the most nationalistic of all and resent those who lived there previously; a case could be mounted for post WW2 jews being the most viciferous in Israel when for 1300 years people had lived together in relative harmony, and to a lesser extent Northern Ireland, where another border nominally chosen along ethnic lines, but not following those lines accurately has caused trouble ever since.

(I say that with a catholic daughter brought up in Strabane 1km inside Northern Ireland.)

The NI borders were settled by plebiscite - hence why NI is 6 counties not the 9 counties of ancient Ulster. IIRC there was a Schlewsig-Holstein approach to the borders around Monaghan and Cavaghan as well
  • Options
    Charles said:

The NI borders were settled by plebiscite - hence why NI is 6 counties not the 9 counties of ancient Ulster. IIRC there was a Schlewsig-Holstein approach to the borders around Monaghan and Cavaghan as well
    The borders of NI as defined in 1921 were never settled by plebiscite. There was an act of Parliament and then the border commission of 1925 never got to report its findings for redrawing the border in Tyrone/Armagh because of financial issues.
  • Options
    @Charles
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

"Crimea was always Russian" - always defined being "since Catherine the Great invaded the Kingdom of Lithuania and seized the land of Crimea from the Mengu Khans"

"They speak Russian and are Russian" reflecting the fact that the Tatars were ethnically cleansed and sent to Siberia in the 1950s(?)
    In the same way that Ulster was "always" Protestant?
This discussion has been closed.