Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories drop 5 and UKIP up 3 in this week’s Ashcroft nationa

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories drop 5 and UKIP up 3 in this week’s Ashcroft national poll

Yet again the Ashcroft national phone poll has surprised us. This time with a 5% drop in CON support, 2% drop for LAB and a 3% increase for UKIP. Last week the Ashcroft figures were Con 32%, Lab 36%, Lib Dem 7%, UKIP 14%, Green 6%

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    The Swingback fairies are just biding their time.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    The 'surprise' from Ashcroft is that it hasn't got a Green lead.

It really is hilarious entertainment, but surprising? Not any more.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Dat volatility.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    edited July 2014
    Hey, maybe I was a bit hard on Populus and Ashcroft... :-)

BTW, Mike, according Ashcroft's email, the Labour drop is 1, rather than 2 as above. Haven't checked myself.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,323
    Labour = India
    Tories = England

:)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Ashcroft National Poll: Con 27%, Lab 35%, Lib Dem 7%, UKIP 17%, Green 7%
    Jul 21, 2014 03:59 pm

UKIP, steady as she goes. Cammo needs to be worried. Cleggover supports assisted suicide. Red Ed can do no wrong, he also can't do right. Greens offering tributes to their gods.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,629
    So no "Nicky Morgan bounce" for the Conservatives?

As each week ticks by, the closer Ed gets to No. 10.
  • Options
    David Cameron = Alastair Cook
    George Osborne = Matt Prior
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT

MikeK said:

Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP 8m
    Russian records show a Ukrainian Su-25 fighter jet was flying close to #MH17 before it crashed, senior Russian military official says

Russia is now coming up with evidence (fabricated?) that it was the Ukrainians wot dun it.

What's the evidence the Russians did it?
    Do you mean the Russian supported rebels?

1. Russian supplied anti-aircraft missiles in rebel locations.
    2. Missile launched from rebel area.
    3. MH17 was flying East away from Ukraine and no threat to them.
    4. Rebels had already shot down previous planes (similar size and height).
    5. Rebels claimed then withdrew twitter statement that they shot a plane down there.

Enough?
    Point (3). There's a Ukrainian army formation stuck in a pocket near the eastern border with Russia that is (was) being supplied by air. The Antonov transport plane that was shot down recently was flying to that pocket so point (3) doesn't necessarily apply (although it would depend on whether or not MH17's course was in the direction of that pocket).

http://www.jacdec.de/2014/07/14/2014-07-14-ukraine-air-force-antonov-an-26-shot-down-in-eastern-ukraine/

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Oh dear, looks like Cameron's reshuffle designed to see off UKIP has backfired.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

FPT

MikeK said:

Russian records show a Ukrainian Su-25 fighter jet was flying close to #MH17 before it crashed, senior Russian military official says

Russia is now coming up with evidence (fabricated?) that it was the Ukrainians wot dun it.

5. Rebels claimed then withdrew twitter statement that they shot a plane down there.

Enough?
    Point (3). There's a Ukrainian army formation stuck in a pocket near the eastern border with Russia that is (was) being supplied by air. The Antonov transport plane that was shot down recently was flying to that pocket so point (3) doesn't necessarily apply (although it would depend on whether or not MH17's course was in the direction of that pocket).

http://www.jacdec.de/2014/07/14/2014-07-14-ukraine-air-force-antonov-an-26-shot-down-in-eastern-ukraine/

"There is speculation the AN-26 was hit by a russian anti-aircraft rocket because the pro russian militia in the region is lacking missile equipment that can reach such altitudes the aircraft was flying at."

Interesting...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Yep, Dave is officially cr8p
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    FPT:

The Greens deserve an article I reckon. Not only are they reaching new heights of national support, but they are doing it without any media presence from their leader. Crossover (as a one-off, granted) with the LDs is practically inevitable at some point.
  • Options
    JazJaz Posts: 21
    Huge variability in the Ashcroft polling week to week; it's simply not sensible, or statistically down to chance. The methodology needs to be revisited.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Interesting that according to Ashcroft people still voting LD would rather have Cameron as PM than Clegg. It's a mistake to keep him until the election. He'll be blamed for the 2010 losses even if he is replaced before, may as well give the new guy time to get used to the role before possible coalition negotiations.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Britain's worst political pundit, Dan Hodges, will be having kittens.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

FPT:

The Greens deserve an article I reckon. Not only are they reaching new heights of national support, but they are doing it without any media presence from their leader. Crossover (as a one-off, granted) with the LDs is practically inevitable at some point.

Completely agree. They're doing exceptionally well at the moment, a genuine anti-establishment mini-UKIP of the left could upset the apple cart even more.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Ashcroft = lol. Like a clock striking thirteen, not only incredible in itself but also casting the gravest doubt on its predecessors (including, for the avoidance of doubt, his crossovers).
  • Options
    Which company does Ashcroft's weekly polls, do we know?
  • Options
    Small print of some interest:

Certain to vote for stated party is now: Lab 59%, UKIP 58, Con 56, LD 42. Only 7% of UKIP supporters say they are "moving towards" the Tories, with 76% moving away from them (for don't knows, the figures are 9% towards and 46% away). Among swing voters (people who say they might change their minds) 27% are moving towards Labour, 15% towards the Tories. 39% think Labour's team is "competent and capable", vs 43% Tories (both figures higher among AB voters), though 37% think Labour better at "presenting the whole country, not just one group" vs 28% for the Tories. 38% think Labour has clear ideas vs 39% for the Tories. There are various other similar results.

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7c92abe0d0d9432cf9c5b98c9&id=0cf1065311&e=99cd3aa6df
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    I can't help feeling that Lord Ashcroft winces a little and gets a terrible sinking feeling every time he gets these results handed to him, presumably on a silver salver by a man in white gloves.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Not sure what we are learning from these Ashcroft polls - the supplementary questions are interesting but can you take them seriously when the main results are so volatile ?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

It does look that way doesn't it? I thought the reshuffle would be more likely to drive Conservative voters away than attract back those who already had gone (see Charles Moore's article in the Telegraph for reasons), but as Mr OllyT said on the last thread Cameron doesn't have a principle that can't be shifted by a focus group or, perhaps, an opinion poll.

So MoE and all that accepted I am not in the least surprised that the Conservative figure is down to 27%. It probably ain't that low in reality, maybe 30%. However, Cameron still has another nine months and there are still some groups of voters he hasn't yet gone out of his way to piss off. He will get there.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    Contrary to what Mike says in the header, this is well within MOE of the average of recent Ashcroft polls, given his small sample size.

I don't think anything is changing much at the moment, and nor would I expect much change over the summer when people are focused on other things. We need to wait until first IndyRef, and then the conferences, have happened, and start looking for trends from (say) November. It is that last six months which will determine the outcome.

Of course, the above assumes no major dislocations from domestic or international affairs, which may turn out to be a wrong assumption, given the current headlines.

BTW How's the 'brush-by' going?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Quincel said:

FPT:

Yes, agree... Is it due to Lib Dem defectors do you think? An easy switch from Havainas to Birkenstocks?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Surely Washington would be keen to court what labour posters think is the British Prime Minister in waiting?
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Lord Ashcroft's use of his personal fortune to fund political research is highly commendable. I do however wonder whether the money might be better spent on the welfare of cats and dogs.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Quincel said:

FPT:

The Greens deserve an article I reckon. Not only are they reaching new heights of national support...

If this is the case - and I think it's a bit early to tell - the explanation is in the article by John Curtice which Mike highlighted in the previous thread header:

I see no reason why the general election should result in a transfer of voters back from Labour to the Liberal Democrats unless there is a severe decline in Labour’s ability to offer anything. Because in a sense those Liberal Democrat voters that are going to Labour are primarily there because of push rather than pull..

Inasmuch as that is true, they might be pushed elsewhere - most likely towards the Greens. After all these voters have deserted Labour in the past, and clearly are motivated by a distate for the difficult choices of governing - which is part of why they went to the LibDems in the first place.
  • Options

Contrary to what Mike says in the header, this is well within MOE of the average of recent Ashcroft polls, given his small sample size.

I don't think anything is changing much at the moment, and nor would I expect much change over the summer when people are focused on other things. We need to wait until first IndyRef, and then the conferences, have happened, and start looking for trends from (say) November. It is that last six months which will determine the outcome.

Of course, the above assumes no major dislocations from domestic or international affairs, which may turn out to be a wrong assumption, given the current headlines.

1,000 isn't particularly small, it's what the gold standard uses!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    RobD said:

It's less than 500 after excluding Don't knows/Won't says, and the effective sample size is further reduced by weighting up certain demographic groups.
  • Options
    Whoever Cameron listens to is not in touch with traditional tories, I honestly wonder who he is trying to appeal to. In reaching out to his perceived wider audience he's alienating his core. Great news for us lot
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    PeterC said:

Lord Ashcroft's use of his personal fortune to fund political research is highly commendable. I do however wonder whether the money might be better spent on the welfare of cats and dogs.

Don't let tim hear you say that!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Hugh said:

Quincel said:

FPT:

Completely agree. They're doing exceptionally well at the moment, a genuine anti-establishment mini-UKIP of the left could upset the apple cart even more.
    Utter tosh , the Green % in all council by elections in July is just 4% .

Time for Lord A to stop wasting his money on these polls methinks
  • Options
    RobD said:

MrJones said:

FPT

MikeK said:

Enough?

"There is speculation the AN-26 was hit by a russian anti-aircraft rocket because the pro russian militia in the region is lacking missile equipment that can reach such altitudes the aircraft was flying at."

Interesting...
    Not sure that bit is interesting. The speculation about a Russian missile was based on the belief that the rebels didn't have Buks but apparently they do.

The interesting bit to me is that a Ukraine army formation is trapped in a pocket on the Russian border being resupplied by air and that's why transport planes are being shot down. You'd think someone might mention it on the news.

• Options

RobD said:

It's less than 500 after excluding Don't knows/Won't says, and the effective sample size is further reduced by weighting up certain demographic groups.
    Ah thanks, hadn't considered that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Still some teething problems with the Ashcroft Bungee Polling I see....
  • Options

It is that last six months which will determine the outcome.

Lol!

Few years ago is was - second half of the Parliament will determine the outcome.
    Few months ago it was - the last year will determine the outcome.

When the exit polls are published and Ed declared PM it will be - still hope, last minute votes could determine the outcome.

PBTories, bless 'em.
  • Options

Whoever Cameron listens to is not in touch with traditional tories, I honestly wonder who he is trying to appeal to. In reaching out to his perceived wider audience he's alienating his core. Great news for us lot

Ukip voters seem to be motivated by a hatred of spin and PC, so why Cameron thought transparent promotion on the basis of gender to fill a quota was going to move things in his favour is puzzling.

I would have thought Gove was popular with kippers too. Any polling on that?

• Options

Hugh said:

Quincel said:

FPT:

Would it not be better to do bigger sample sizes more often ? But then we have ICM.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Hugh said:

Few years ago is was - second half of the Parliament will determine the outcome.

Citation needed, but it's certainly true that the Labour lead has already dropped considerably over the past few months.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    As The Good Lord Giveth so The Good Lord Taketh!
  • Options
    isam said:

Ukip voters seem to be motivated by a hatred of spin and PC, so why Cameron thought transparent promotion on the basis of gender to fill a quota was going to move things in his favour is puzzling.

Gove had the chance of a new grammar school in Sevenoaks and turned it down.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MrJones said:

RobD said:

MrJones said:

FPT

MikeK said:

Enough?

Interesting...

The interesting bit to me is that a Ukraine army formation is trapped in a pocket on the Russian border being resupplied by air and that's why transport planes are being shot down. You'd think someone might mention it on the news.
    Why does that change anything?

That just gives a reason why the Russians/rebels shot it down, and why it was unlikely the Ukrainians did.
  • Options

Rather, he annoyed the cr*p out of people UKIP really don;t like
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

As The Good Lord Giveth so The Good Lord Taketh!

:) very droll.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Rather, he annoyed the cr*p out of people UKIP really don;t like

it's like ICM never happened.
  • Options
    Trend is whose friend?

Lord Ashcroft (@LordAshcroft)
    21/07/2014 16:29
    Average of Ashcroft National Poll 30th June - 21st July. CON 30% LAB 34% LDEM 8% UKIP 15%
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ashcroft = lol. Like a clock striking thirteen, not only incredible in itself but also casting the gravest doubt on its predecessors (including, for the avoidance of doubt, his crossovers).

Indeed. He actually opened his account with a 'crossover' although even the most soppy of PB Tories refused to accept it IIRC as they argued that you couldn't cross over somewhere you had never been.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    TGOHF said:

Hugh said:

Quincel said:

FPT:

Would it not be better to do bigger sample sizes more often ? But then we have ICM.

Yes if you have the money to do so . I feel though the error is in the methodology more than sample size .
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Lol!

Both still true, and both consistent with saying that the last 6 months will determine the outcome.

How much money have you staked on a Labour majority; and if you haven't, why not?
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10981037/Most-LibDem-voters-prefer-David-Cameron-as-PM-than-Nick-Clegg-survey.html

"Liberal Democrat voters think David Cameron would be a better Prime Minister than Nick Clegg, a new poll has found.

A survey by Lord Ashcroft, the former Conservative party donor, found that 35 per cent of LibDems thought Mr Cameron was a better choice for Prime Minister.

The proportion was marginally head of the 34 per cent of LibDem voters who thought Mr Clegg would be a better leader of the country."

I wonder which camp OGH and Mark Senior are in ?
  • Options
    isam said:

"Spin and PC"

Interesting way of saying "foreigners".
  • Options
    I have seen a tweet on ConHome saying Ashcroft is releasing a 14,000 sample poll of tory held marginals tomorrow....
  • Options

RobD said:

I agree with you, and all your points below. But isn't the above the same for ICM?
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Lol!

When the exit polls are published and Ed declared PM it will be - still hope, last minute votes could determine the outcome.

PBTories, bless 'em.
    The sands do seem to shift an awful lot on here...
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

"Spin and PC"

Blimey that was predictable!

I was going to pre empt your remark but thought no one would be bothered to make such an obvious, and incorrect, snide comment.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

I agree with you, and all your points below. But isn't the above the same for ICM?

Broadly yes, although they do seem to be less volatile (perhaps because their adjustments to the raw samples are better calibrated). Maybe we're just less aware of ICM volatility because they come out less often, and so we are more likely to (wrongly) attribute changes to real shifts in sentiment.

For example, the Labour lead according to ICM went from +5 to -2 between April and May. I'm inclined to the view that actually nothing much had changed.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Hugh said:

Lol!

PBTories, bless 'em.
    The sands do seem to shift an awful lot on here...
    So do labour posters names!
  • Options

MrJones said:

RobD said:

MrJones said:

FPT

MikeK said:

Enough?

Interesting...

Why does that change anything?

That just gives a reason why the Russians/rebels shot it down, and why it was unlikely the Ukrainians did.
    Yes. It gives a reason.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited July 2014
    isam said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

"Spin and PC"

Blimey that was predictable!

I was going to pre empt your remark but thought no one would be bothered to make such an obvious, and incorrect, snide comment.
    No sympathy for UKIP, but surely that misses the whole "intellectual" point of Kipperism?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    BenM said:

Just hope he doesn't change his mind. Increasing Lab leads as disastrous for Ed as a disastrous thing.

ARSE competing with DH for the title IMHO JackW previous good record will be dented by

One essential that will not change is that :

Ed Miliband Will Never Become Prime Minister

JacW 22/6/14

Early days yet but my BJESUS looking OK at this stage
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    First I heard of this:
    ianpatterson99 ‏@ianpatterson99 33m
    Nick Griffin was outed as BNP leader on Sat, but coverage doesn't break until today. Shows that party's thankful irrelevance.
  • Options
    @Isam

I thought it was you who once masqueraded under the moniker Sam before trying to pull the wool over our eyes by cunningly changing your name to Isam?
  • Options
    @RichardN

Agreed. My position also. There is sod all happening.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I have seen a tweet on ConHome saying Ashcroft is releasing a 14,000 sample poll of tory held marginals tomorrow....

That'll be fun. What were the national polls showing when he last did it, so we can compare?
  • Options
    What were the national polls showing when he last did it, so we can compare?

Don;t know, but the tweet said, 'some surprises!'

Guess its quite an interesting poll for you.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Lord above!
  • Options

BenM said:

Just hope he doesn't change his mind. Increasing Lab leads as disastrous for Ed as a disastrous thing.

ARSE competing with DH for the title IMHO JackW previous good record will be dented by

JacW 22/6/14

BJO calls Jack W "britain's worst political pundit" ?

Brave.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@Isam

I thought it was you who once masqueraded under the moniker Sam before trying to pull the wool over our eyes by cunningly changing your name to Isam?

That was over a year ago! How would you know???? Moderator, it's against the rules to accuse me of being someone else!!! Boo hoo mummy!!

Yes I did, but obviously am not pretending not to be Sam, and only changed because the old login and password wouldn't work on new computer.

What's your excuse?!

• Options
    Nick Griffin ousted as BNP leader apparently. Anyone know for sure?
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28408039

• Options
    taffys said:

Didn't we have a thread on it last week?

• Options
    21/07/2014 17:08
    Should the Tory Party suspend taking donations from companies owned by Russians.
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28408039

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke. How swiftly it can all change.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

It does look that way doesn't it? I thought the reshuffle would be more likely to drive Conservative voters away than attract back those who already had gone (see Charles Moore's article in the Telegraph for reasons), but as Mr OllyT said on the last thread Cameron doesn't have a principle that can't be shifted by a focus group or, perhaps, an opinion poll.

So MoE and all that accepted I am not in the least surprised that the Conservative figure is down to 27%. It probably ain't that low in reality, maybe 30%. However, Cameron still has another nine months and there are still some groups of voters he hasn't yet gone out of his way to piss off. He will get there.

Continuing the discussion from the last thread, "Big Bang" was Thatcher's cornerstone financial policy.

Quoting from Wiki:

"Although the "Big Bang" eased stock market transactions there is a debate in the UK about how far it affected the 2007–2012 global financial crisis. In 2010, Nigel Lawson, Thatcher's Chancellor at the time, appeared on the Analysis program to discuss banking reform, explaining that the 2007–2012 global financial crisis was an unintended consequence of the "Big Bang". He said that UK investment banks, previously very cautious with what was their own money, had merged with high street banks putting depositors' savings at risk and ...according to the program leading US banks to follow suit".

I guess if anyone should know, Lawson is the man. Far more significant than anything Brown did, though his actions hardly improved matters.
  • Options
    @Sam

I thought it was a low down dirty trick trying to rebrand yourself as Isam. I read it wrong and thought it was Islam. Impersonating an entire religion. Downright disgraceful behaviour.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Apart from anything else, this sort of bar-chart is much better than the boring all-green ones
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,323
    taffys said:

The Lord moveth in mysterious ways :)
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Apart from anything else, this sort of bar-chart is much better than the boring all-green ones

Love the use of bright pink for Ukip ...
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

"Spin and PC"

You are the bloke who assumed, without bothering to look it up, that (because of the NHS) the UK had a markedly better record for deaths in childbirth than any other country in the world. (It doesn't). Can't trust Johnny Foreigner to get it right when the memsahib is popping out the sprogs, what?

So tell us your views on casual, unthinking racism and its distribution among the parties.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

BenM said:

JacW 22/6/14

BJO calls Jack W "britain's worst political pundit" ?

Brave.

Anyone who states "One essential that will not change is that Ed will never become PM" with such certainty is indeed "Brave" especially since his ARSE predictions are approaching nearer to crossover in most seats as each one is published.

I am not certain EIC will be PM but certainly the polls are pointing that way with 10.5 months to go. My BJESUS tomorrow will be consistent with all 5 published so far and will have Ed as biggest party with tiny overall majority. If the polls tighten soon this will impact on my BJESUS. I would not be at all surprised if Ed does not get a majority but i would be very surprised if LAB are not biggest party.

Myself and JackW are about 30 seats apart we will see who is right and who is wrong. JackW has DH on his side which is comforting!
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Sam

I thought it was a low down dirty trick trying to rebrand yourself as Isam. I read it wrong and thought it was Islam. Impersonating an entire religion. Downright disgraceful behaviour.

I noticed that it resembled Islam, not deliberate.

While we are on the subject, I think it is an interesting paradox that left wingers won't hear a word said against Islam despite Muslims being very intolerant of many lefty favourites(equality for women and gays etc) while right wingers seem to have it in for Muslims despite them sharing many old fashioned values that they want to preserve ( marriage, discipline in schools)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

JohnLoony said:

One of us is colourblind
  • Options
    Todays Populus LAB 354 CON 249 LD 21 Other 26

Ed is crap is PM
  • Options
    ''Continuing the discussion from the last thread, "Big Bang" was Thatcher's cornerstone financial policy.''

I owe my career to big bang, for what its worth. Before it the City was a tiny and ineffectual club for chinless wonders. After Big Bang the Japanese and Americans moved in, and guess what, they didn't care what tie you wore or which regiment you served in.

This is where people get Mrs Thatcher so wrong. She was happy to eviscerate the old City, no matter how many well connected chaps it shook to the core. She didn't like upper class vested interest any more than trade union vested interest, or civil service vested interest.
  • Options
    Todays Lordy Lordy LAB 369 CON 225 LD 28 other 28 (ukpr)

Ed is Crap is landslide PM 10.5 months to go
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,463
    Rather depressing walking past the newsstands in full 'Putin is going to eat your baby' mode. One does hope that people will adopt the same healthy cynicism that helped us avoid bombing Syria, but I feel that the media hatchet job on Putin has been too thorough and extreme. Also worth noting the utter demonisation and dehumanisation of the rebels. Grotesque distortion on an unprecedented scale.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Sam

While we are on the subject, I think it is an interesting paradox that left wingers won't hear a word said against Islam despite Muslims being very intolerant of many lefty favourites(equality for women and gays etc) while right wingers seem to have it in for Muslims despite them sharing many old fashioned values that they want to preserve ( marriage, discipline in schools)
    Lefty favourites? I would imagine any decent human being would want equality of treatment for all, irrespective of gender, sexual inclination and what not.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @taffys

'BTW How's the 'brush-by' going?

Surely Washington would be keen to court what labour posters think is the British Prime Minister in waiting?'

A brush off ?
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

JohnLoony said:

One of us is colourblind
    It's unlikely to be the Kipper aint it ? ;)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    OllyT said:

Continuing the discussion from the last thread, "Big Bang" was Thatcher's cornerstone financial policy.

Quoting from Wiki:

"Although the "Big Bang" eased stock market transactions there is a debate in the UK about how far it affected the 2007–2012 global financial crisis. In 2010, Nigel Lawson, Thatcher's Chancellor at the time, appeared on the Analysis program to discuss banking reform, explaining that the 2007–2012 global financial crisis was an unintended consequence of the "Big Bang". He said that UK investment banks, previously very cautious with what was their own money, had merged with high street banks putting depositors' savings at risk and ...according to the program leading US banks to follow suit".

I guess if anyone should know, Lawson is the man. Far more significant than anything Brown did, though his actions hardly improved matters.
    Sorry, old chap, quoting Wikki doesn't answer the question. I know about the big bang, I was alive and sentient at the time. The question I asked was specifically what measure(s) of Thatchers administration brought about the banking crisis nearly twenty years later. Your saying there was such, I am saying really, which. Once we have established that we can move on to what Brown did about it and the effect of his revised supervisory structure.

Any joy on when Regan repealed the Glass-Stegall Act, by the way?
  • Options

Rather depressing walking past the newsstands in full 'Putin is going to eat your baby' mode. One does hope that people will adopt the same healthy cynicism that helped us avoid bombing Syria, but I feel that the media hatchet job on Putin has been too thorough and extreme. Also worth noting the utter demonisation and dehumanisation of the rebels. Grotesque distortion on an unprecedented scale.

Then the British press tell us the Russians are being fed propoganda.

Not like the press in the West over Iraq of course
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@taffys

Surely Washington would be keen to court what labour posters think is the British Prime Minister in waiting?'

A brush off ?

Ed spent the afternoon tweeting about Russia/Ukraine.

• Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Sam

Listen Sunni I don't give a Shi ite what you call yourself.

Re: religion. I dislike them all.
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Sam

We're all a bit different on this and it doesn't divide that tidily. I'm sceptical of religion, and the more dogmatic the religion the more sceptical I am. On the other hand, I'm reluctant to portray all followers of any particular religion as having common characteristics, and think that a bad habit more common on the right, because it's a habit that carries over from national stereotyping. But I feel very much at home with conservatives who say we should treat people as individuals without generalising (I'm also critical of far-left types who categorise all posh people or all businessmen as enemies).

I have good friends who are charismatic Christians (speaking in tongues and all that) and devout Muslims. I think some of their beliefs are strange and they think my absence of belief is sad (one of the Christians says he feels it's a shame I'll probably go to hell, and he hopes he can yet save me). But primarily they're just nice people and I dislike anyone making assumptions about them.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    These polls are clearly completely meaningless.

Shouldn't the UKIP colour be a sort of greyish-beige?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@taffys

A brush off ?

LOL at Dan Hodges:

"Barack Obama can't save Ed Miliband
    The Labour party leader is desperate for a White House invite. But it won't convince us he is prime minister material".

Double LOL at the fact that isn't Dan Hodges, it's Christina Patterson in the Guardian on 13 July.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/13/ed-miliband-last-chance-family-man-brother

She must feel jolly small after seeing today's polling.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

21/07/2014 17:08
    Should the Tory Party suspend taking donations from companies owned by Russians.

Some are GO's good friends !
This discussion has been closed.