Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tories still rated as a 75% betting chance in Batley and Spen – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126
    edited June 2021
    DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

BTW Cummings has dropped a bomb just before PMQs

https://dominiccummings.substack.com/p/the-pm-on-hancock-totally-fucking

Includes whatsapps from Boris calling Hancock useless.

Wow. There's screens of material.

He really really really hates Hancock doesn't he.

"Totally fucking useless"
    This is seriously close to a breach of the Official Secrets Act, notwithstanding his protestations about having evidence demanded by the Committee. He hasn't so much burnt his bridges as incinerated them. Does he have no plans to work again?

I have a lot of time for his analysis of the failings of Whitehall. I agree with him that we need better use of genuine experts and better information for our decision makers. I also agree that it is disappointing that so many of those decision makers are innumerate, ignorant, not very bright and apparently uninterested in learning.

But this is disgraceful. It really is.
    Cummings does not need to work again, his father in law owns a castle in Northumberland and he built the cottage he lives in with his family on his family farm and he and his wife also own a £1.6 million townhouse in Islington and his wife is deputy editor of the Spectator.

If he does work again I expect it will be freelance and writing.

I agree though he could have breached the OSA
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

mwadams said:

maaarsh said:

Have the women's Test cricket on in the background and it's very odd.

Women's top sprinters are c. 10% slower than top men. Top lady golfers drive it c. 280 vs 320 for men so a similar gap.

Yet the opening bowlers here are just incredibly slow, 25% or more down on a reasonably paced male bowler. Just wondering if anyone follows this whether that is an Indian team point or a general issue?

Fast-medium bowlers in men's cricket are at about 140kph and the women's team are pushing 120kph - so not far off that 10% difference.
    Indian opening bowlers didn't crack 110kph once that I saw in the half hour I watched.
    Indian men were not, in times past, noted for fast bowling.
    The wikipedia entry for 1 of the Indian bowlers notes her as the fastest female bowler currently active in international cricket. I will assume she is on an off day.
    Interesting. Some female bowlers are quite quick, of course.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited June 2021
    DavidL said:

Interesting challenge for Neil tonight. The Chancellor is a very big fish for his new channel. It shows the government are inclined to be supportive of the new channel in giving a different voice. So does he do his usual demolition job or soft soap him? hmm.....

I’m not sure Neil really understands soft soap. He has a reputation to uphold. I expect him to be critical but fair, and allow the minister time to make his points.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

Women's top sprinters are c. 10% slower than top men. Top lady golfers drive it c. 280 vs 320 for men so a similar gap.

Yet the opening bowlers here are just incredibly slow, 25% or more down on a reasonably paced male bowler. Just wondering if anyone follows this whether that is an Indian team point or a general issue?

Yes, I've noticed that too. Oddly, they seem to hit 6s almost as far as the men these days, 80m is not that unusual. Probably within the 10%. There may be physiological reasons, fast bowling is a bloody weird thing to do to the body.
    I tend to find womens' tennis more interesting than mens', because fewer aces are served.
    Well, that's certainly one reason to prefer it 😉
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Keir Starmer really is bloody useless isn't he?

Johnson screwed up this week kowtowing to nonsensical scientific "models" despite an absence of deaths and still he can't get the ball in the net.

If Starmer can't best Boris this week of all weeks when is he ever going to do so again.

Desperate spin Phil. Starmer was very good there.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    Sandpit said:

maaarsh said:

Have they still not learned to stop using bloody Facebook on personal phones to discuss government business?

The government IT service should insist on only approved devices running approved applications - that get wiped when someone leaves, or forgets it in a taxi.
    Johnson would agree then he and his cronies would ignore it. Then what?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

This is seriously close to a breach of the Official Secrets Act, notwithstanding his protestations about having evidence demanded by the Committee. He hasn't so much burnt his bridges as incinerated them. Does he have no plans to work again?

I have a lot of time for his analysis of the failings of Whitehall. I agree with him that we need better use of genuine experts and better information for our decision makers. I also agree that it is disappointing that so many of those decision makers are innumerate, ignorant, not very bright and apparently uninterested in learning.

Cummings does not need to work again, his father in law owns a castle in Northumberland and he built the cottage he lives in with his family on his family farm and he and his wife also own a £1.6 million townhouse in Islington and his wife is deputy editor of the Spectator.

The Ponting case will have nothing on Cumming's. Assuming it's not all in camera.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Blackford faster on his feet referring to the Cummings messages - but goes with his prepared Oz deal question instead...

I missed the question because Sky chose to cut off the pictures and audio and have their presenter talk over pictures of Biden instead.

Did the same earlier cutting off the PM speaking in response to Keir in order to show pictures of Putin and audio of their presenter saying it was Putin.

Why the hell do that? Terrible decision by Sky. Splitscreen the images of Parliament and Putin/Biden if you want to do so, but why the hell replace audio of Parliament with a presenter explaining who Putin and Biden are?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Johnson screwed up this week kowtowing to nonsensical scientific "models" despite an absence of deaths and still he can't get the ball in the net.

If Starmer can't best Boris this week of all weeks when is he ever going to do so again.

I'm not sure he'll still be leader by the time the Conference season starts.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

No it doesn't.

The most revealing thing is Johnson's question on the ppe disaster "is this from tonight focus group and polls"

Not "is PPE actually a disaster, but "do voters think it's a disaster"?
    There's a screenshot of Boris saying "It's Hancock - he has been hopeless".
    Here:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1405116314050519040?s=20

Guido has updated his article.
    I haven't read Guido, I'm reading Cumming's blog, it is there in black and white.
    Helpful to post a link......
    I did, in my original post, which you then replied to with your incorrect denial. It is literally embedded in the previous quotes on your post. There's no helping some people it seems.
    Apologies - I missed that - now wading through Cummings interminable ramblings...
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

No desperation Johnson has lost my support this week so why would I be desperate for spin?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,197
    Layla demanding immigrants for Oxfordshire.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

No desperation Johnson has lost my support this week so why would I be desperate for spin?
    That was pretty decent from Starmer, punchy, clear, on the right topic, yet you called it absolute rubbish?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

No it doesn't.

The most revealing thing is Johnson's question on the ppe disaster "is this from tonight focus group and polls"

Not "is PPE actually a disaster, but "do voters think it's a disaster"?
    There's a screenshot of Boris saying "It's Hancock - he has been hopeless".
    Here:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1405116314050519040?s=20

Guido has updated his article.
    I haven't read Guido, I'm reading Cumming's blog, it is there in black and white.
    Helpful to post a link......
    I did, in my original post, which you then replied to with your incorrect denial. It is literally embedded in the previous quotes on your post. There's no helping some people it seems.
    Apologies - I missed that - now wading through Cummings interminable ramblings...
    He's not a master of brevity, is he?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    On a completely different note, Welsh cases today lower than a week ago.

After 7 days in a row of flat reported cases, if there isn't a significant increase today then the Delta scare is going to look a bit fishy, and the SAGE models will be utterly untenable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They almost never prosecute. I've breached Section 2 many times.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Layla demanding immigrants for Oxfordshire.

Not on Sky she didn't.

Sky entirely cut off PMQs now to show more pictures of Putin and Biden.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,147
    maaarsh said:

mwadams said:

maaarsh said:

Fast-medium bowlers in men's cricket are at about 140kph and the women's team are pushing 120kph - so not far off that 10% difference.
    Indian opening bowlers didn't crack 110kph once that I saw in the half hour I watched.
    I'd guess women's fastest internationals are typically bowling somewhere around a University side's level - ~100-120kph. To be fair, that's round about where most medium-fast balls are delivered in the County championship.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Interesting challenge for Neil tonight. The Chancellor is a very big fish for his new channel. It shows the government are inclined to be supportive of the new channel in giving a different voice. So does he do his usual demolition job or soft soap him? hmm.....

I’m not sure Neil really understands soft soap. He has a reputation to uphold. I expect him to be critical but fair, and allow the minister time to make his points.
    That's pretty much what I said in my subsequent post. There are a lot of genuinely interesting questions. The economy is in a state of flux like we haven't seen since the early 70s. Its more uncertain than 2008 in many respects because it covers a much, much broader expanse of the economy.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,197
    edited June 2021
    Uh oh, I hope @SandyRentool isnt watching!

Philip Davies sticking it Boris and SAGE.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited June 2021
    Re women's cricket, as will a lot of women's sport outside a few sports, its the strength in depth. People have identified one individual who can bowl ~75mph, but most are in the 60s.

In comparison, I played semi-pro cricket and faced 80-85 every weekend, sometimes high 80s. And personally could send it down at nearly 80 and wasn't deemed fast enough in combination with accuracy / movement to really be considered to be much more than a change bowler at that level.

And yes there were proper pros in the league that played county, but the bulk of the people weren't getting near a county team, even the 2nds.
  • Options
    Good for him:

A lecturer who was falsely accused of being a racist, a “rape apologist” and a threat to student safety has refused to resume academic duties until his tormentors face consequences for their actions.

Dr Neil Thin, 60, stepped back from teaching at Edinburgh University after campus activists claimed he had voiced “problematic” views on social media and penalised candidates who challenged him.

Thin, a senior lecturer in social anthropology, was exonerated earlier this month after a two-month investigation. Despite this, students have repeated the slurs anonymously.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/44375d12-ce22-11eb-979e-6eddfcb6b6ef?shareToken=20ad4f3cf76a6a693fcdb5a6e6f02a11
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

You think he works for the money? He loves being at the centre of things and making a difference. Can't see that happening again.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

maaarsh said:

mwadams said:

maaarsh said:

I'd guess women's fastest internationals are typically bowling somewhere around a University side's level - ~100-120kph. To be fair, that's round about where most medium-fast balls are delivered in the County championship.
    I'm sorry but that's just wrong.

All country championship cricket is now broadcast on youtube - in the far too much cricket I've watched so far, with the exception of Darren Stevens there isn't a regular bowler out there averaging below 120kph, with most over 130kph. 100kph is barely quicker than a spin bowler.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,275
    maaarsh said:

After 7 days in a row of flat reported cases, if there isn't a significant increase today then the Delta scare is going to look a bit fishy, and the SAGE models will be utterly untenable.

Wales is interesting as they have been ahead in vaccination and seem to be doing better in cases. I think they are the future for the rUK, and hopefully soon.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

That was pretty decent from Starmer, punchy, clear, on the right topic, yet you called it absolute rubbish?
    Yes. He had a point but was meandering in the way he put it across, he got basic facts wrong: he got the names of the variants wrong, the dates the variants were identified wrong too allowing Boris to make him squirm in response. It was embarrassing and he never cut through right when Boris is weak and exposed and not supported by many on his own backbenches this week.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Yes. He had a point but was meandering in the way he put it across, he got basic facts wrong: he got the names of the variants wrong, the dates the variants were identified wrong too allowing Boris to make him squirm in response. It was embarrassing and he never cut through right when Boris is weak and exposed and not supported by many on his own backbenches this week.
    Now you are coming over all Professor Mariarty - what would be my motivation trashing Starmer, straight down the middle guy me.

Yes to all that. 😆

It’s not in question Starmer was much better today, but can he keep it up? That’s the balanced take out.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

That's pretty much what I said in my subsequent post. There are a lot of genuinely interesting questions. The economy is in a state of flux like we haven't seen since the early 70s. Its more uncertain than 2008 in many respects because it covers a much, much broader expanse of the economy.
    I do wonder whether Rishi might not actually quite welcome some searching questions from the 'be less profligate/open up sooner' angle, even if it's not a comfortable ride.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,246
    Mother seems to be suffering a severe head injury

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,991
    Sandpit said:

kamski said:

isam said:

Re Labour losing the Islamic vote in Batley

I’ll probably be corrected, but it seems to me that, on the whole, Muslims and Jews have never really got on, and the rising levels of islamophobia & anti- semitism are nothing more than there being more opportunities for them to clash in England than there used to be. We never really saw it this close up before

The worry for me is that if Labour lose the Muslim vote in the inner cities, an Islamic party will step into the vacuum - that would be a disastrous outcome

"Muslims and Jews have never really got on"

except for the loads of people of whatever faith who have got on fine with each other.

why not say eg "on the whole, Christians and Jews have never got on" if you're going to make silly comments?
    The vast majority of Christians, Muslims and Jews all get on just fine. Every faith and none has its few idiots, as well as the civil wars between Catholic and Protestant, Sunni and Shia that have gone on for centuries.
    Indeed. Muslims and Jews are now forming the coalition Government in Israel. So they must be 'getting on' there to some extent at least.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

Yes, I've noticed that too. Oddly, they seem to hit 6s almost as far as the men these days, 80m is not that unusual. Probably within the 10%. There may be physiological reasons, fast bowling is a bloody weird thing to do to the body.
    I tend to find womens' tennis more interesting than mens', because fewer aces are served.
    Well, that's certainly one reason to prefer it 😉
    There are others, but I shall not sully this site by mentioning them.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

isam said:

Re Labour losing the Islamic vote in Batley

I’ll probably be corrected, but it seems to me that, on the whole, Muslims and Jews have never really got on, and the rising levels of islamophobia & anti- semitism are nothing more than there being more opportunities for them to clash in England than there used to be. We never really saw it this close up before

The worry for me is that if Labour lose the Muslim vote in the inner cities, an Islamic party will step into the vacuum - that would be a disastrous outcome

"Muslims and Jews have never really got on"

except for the loads of people of whatever faith who have got on fine with each other.

why not say eg "on the whole, Christians and Jews have never got on" if you're going to make silly comments?
    The vast majority of Christians, Muslims and Jews all get on just fine. Every faith and none has its few idiots, as well as the civil wars between Catholic and Protestant, Sunni and Shia that have gone on for centuries.
    Indeed. Muslims and Jews are now forming the coalition Government in Israel. So they must be 'getting on' there to some extent at least.
    Sometimes you just need a bigger enemy to unite against.

And there's few bigger to unite against than Bibi.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

So far as we are aware, you are not Dominic Cummings and you are not directly pissing off the PM.

In Scotland the going rate for an offence of that type is apparently 8 months (subject to a potential appeal to the Supreme Court).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

So far as we are aware, you are not Dominic Cummings and you are not directly pissing off the PM.

In Scotland the going rate for an offence of that type is apparently 8 months (subject to a potential appeal to the Supreme Court).
    Do you think his galaxy sized ego might lead to him welcoming being prosecuted?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Good case figures from Wales :.

Backlog last week

So

Last week Tue (22) + Wed (223) = 245

This week Tue (98) + Wed (141) = 239
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Pulpstar said:

Backlog last week

So

That nice Mr Drakeford having a great Pandemic
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
    @LadPolitics: Ladbrokes: Matt Hancock 50/1 next Tory Leader
  • Options
    Succession of Tory MPs coming out in disagreement with the PM

I agree with Boris that Hancock is hopeless
  • Options
    Cummings on Johnson in meetings: "As soon as things get ‘a bit embarrassing’ [he] does the whole ‘let’s take it offline’ shtick before shouting ‘forward to victory’, doing a thumbs-up & pegging it out of the room"

Cummings claims Raab was better at helm of Govt than Johnson.

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1405130072999268355?s=20
  • Options
    DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

It is not disgraceful at all. It is exactly what should be happening. When the Government is relying on outright lies to committees to protect their reputation after the massive fuck ups they have made it is a public duty to have this stuff out in the open.

I hope Cummings has a lot more of this stuff and it all comes out. What is disgraceful is that it needs whistleblowing like this to get to the facts.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    We definitely need a new political party. I really has to be no more than a NOT Johnson infested Tory Party but without Labour's baggage. Just a competent party run by empathetic HONEST human beings. It's difficult for Labour after Corbyn or the Libs with their skeletons. But with millions of politically homeless voting for the least worst option someone's got to fill the vacuum.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

I still have the copy I signed in 1984 to work at the Land Registry! - I even got a telling off for going on holiday to Yugoslavia without telling the "security officer" I was going - people always make out the OSA is some big thing but most civil servants sign it at some point and nobody cares.
  • Options

Cummings on Johnson in meetings: "As soon as things get ‘a bit embarrassing’ [he] does the whole ‘let’s take it offline’ shtick before shouting ‘forward to victory’, doing a thumbs-up & pegging it out of the room"

And yet governance seems to have gone better since Cummings left himself. 🤔
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,127
    edited June 2021
    maaarsh said:

That's very interesting indeed.

We are due an update today from Prof Tim Spector (Zoe app) which might act as a canary in the coalmine. We'll see.

As you imply, there could be some fun and games ahead... fingers crossed...
  • Options
    Labour - "The Government is falling apart"

B&S Tory Gain
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,127

Pulpstar said:

Backlog last week

So

That nice Mr Drakeford having a great Pandemic

You can't shake The Drake.
  • Options

Succession of Tory MPs coming out in disagreement with the PM

I agree with Boris that Hancock is hopeless

Was nice to see Susan Michie get some stick (she's gone out of her way to share her view, she's very much fair game).

Setting aisde her Communist party membership (which removes any credible claim to sound judgement) and her deep epidemiological expertise as a... psychologist, it really beggars belief that joining Cosplay SAGE isn't a dismissable offence for SAGE members.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

I’m offering firstly, maybe LOTO has a good week when asking the questions we would and in the way we would, a bad week when they don’t do it as we think we would have - the measurement being to our own bias’.

But also, just like human, and animal sports stars, politicians can come in and out of form? Boris form at lectern a lot better 2021 than in 2020, both before and after illness, is very true isn’t it?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

If you think prosecuting Cummings for this will in any way help the Government then you are incredibly naive. Even if people hate Cummings, he will get massive support for the fact he has exposed the failings that led to thousands of unnecessary deaths.

What is amusing is we seem to have moved in a matter of a couple of weeks from

"Cummings was lying and has presented no evidence"

to

"How dare Cummings present evidence"
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Roger said:

We definitely need a new political party. I really has to be no more than a NOT Johnson infested Tory Party but without Labour's baggage. Just a competent party run by empathetic HONEST human beings. It's difficult for Labour after Corbyn or the Libs with their skeletons. But with millions of politically homeless voting for the least worst option someone's got to fill the vacuum.

If you are pro Brexit and centre right you can vote Tory, if you are pro Brexit but anti lockdown you can vote ReformUK, if you are anti Brexit you can vote LD, if you are centre left you can vote Labour, if you are further left you can vote Green, if you are a Scottish or Welsh Nationalist you can vote SNP or Plaid.

I really fail to see why we need yet another party?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Surely it's obvious that the only reason Rishi is appearing on GBNews is because he actually wants to be interviewed by Andrew Neil.

Something that Boris refused to do at the election and at a very interesting time given the descent in Tory MP ranks over the continued lockdown.
  • Options

This does have the tang of authenticity and sounds eminently believable.

DC comes across as an absolute fucking nightmare to work with in these bathetic WhatsApp exchanges.
  • Options

B&S Tory Gain

Whose side are you actually on, Trotsky?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

If you are pro Brexit and centre right you can vote Tory, if you are pro Brexit but anti lockdown you can vote ReformUK, if you are anti Brexit you can vote LD, if you are centre left you can vote Labour, if you are further left you can vote Green.

I think Roger's very valid point is that what we need is a party that is actually led by competent politicians. Although that is rapidly starting to look like an oxymoron these days.
  • Options
    eek said:

Surely it's obvious that the only reason Rishi is appearing on GBNews is because he actually wants to be interviewed by Andrew Neil.

Something that Boris refused to do at the election and at a very interesting time given the descent in Tory MP ranks over the continued lockdown.

I have just seen GBN described as Wetherspoons TV and now can't unsee it
  • Options
    Funny how @gealbhan uniquely reckons Keir Starmer had a great PMQs yet all the discussion now is about what Cummings had to say and nothing about what Keir had to say.

Boris has failed to proceed to his own timeline this week yet there is more scrutiny of the government from a disgruntled ex advisor than there is from the Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition.

Maybe next week Labour should replace Keir at the dispatch box with the Right Honourable Tub of Lard MP. Might have more charisma.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    Roger said:

Is Change UK the sort of thing you're thinking of?
    My tongue is only partially in my cheek here. I may have disagreed with the Tiggers politically, but they had some competent/astute/not entirely mad politicians join their ship. Their version of 'change' may have been to turn the clock back to 2005 but that wasn't in itself a ridiculous thing to want to do.
    The point I am making is that a new political party is a very difficult thing to bring about.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,617
    eek said:

I think taking on Andrew Neil and showing he's still a proper Tory and isn't on board with rule by SAGE will be a huge warning shot to Boris.

As ever, the opposition to lockdown will come from within the Tory party not from Labour who are completely useless
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

This does have the tang of authenticity and sounds eminently believable.

It sounds believable because we have all seen BoZo do it multiple times on live TV. If he gets a question he doesn't like, he waves the flag, does the clown act and hides in a fridge.
  • Options

And yet governance seems to have gone better since Cummings left himself. 🤔
    Is it not a bit early to say that? For example, would vaccine procurement have been such a success and not a NHS disaster without Cummings telling them how to do it? The Vaccine roll out success is all down to Cummings isn’t it, no one else can claim it?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,844

maaarsh said:

That's very interesting indeed.

We are due an update today from Prof Tim Spector (Zoe app) which might act as a canary in the coalmine. We'll see.

As you imply, there could be some fun and games ahead... fingers crossed...
    They've done well, but Wales will struggle to continue the downward case trend, given the very low rates now and the vicinity of NE Wales to the NW England epidemic wave front now crossing Cheshire.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

If you think prosecuting Cummings for this will in any way help the Government then you are incredibly naive. Even if people hate Cummings, he will get massive support for the fact he has exposed the failings that led to thousands of unnecessary deaths.

to

Who will Cummings get massive support from. He lost all credibility a year ago. No one is interested in him. His appearance at the Select Committee led to the tories increasing their poll lead.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,881
    Stoke-on-Trent is a fantastic place to live. I recommend it to Roger.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

Cummings was asked to provide evidence to Parliament and he committed to do so by a certain date which IIRC was a couple of weeks ago. He failed to do so.

Now he's put out of context screenshots on a blog that aren't really evidence for much of what he claimed in Parliament.

If he has evidence to substantiate claims he made to Parliament he should provide that to the committee looking into this in Parliament. He hasn't done so.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. xP, to be fair, hiding in a fridge worked very well for Indiana Jones.

[They should not have made any more after the Last Crusade, mind].
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

Who will Cummings get massive support from. He lost all credibility a year ago. No one is interested in him. His appearance at the Select Committee led to the tories increasing their poll lead.
    LOL. The desperation of the party faithful.

He is publishing messages that prove what he said was true and that Ministers have been lying about what was said and done. If this continues then poor polling will be the least of their problems.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Conservative lead down from 12 to 7 with SavantaComRes

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1405106244738748419?s=19

Why do they often miss Reform UK from the figures?
    Who
    I expect ReformUK to get more votes than Labour and the Greens in the C&A by-election.
    Really
    The vast majority of Labour and Green supporters in the constituency will vote Lib Dem because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to defeat the Tories in what is traditionally one of their safest seats. It's too much of a good opportunity to miss for them, one would think. So both could dip below 5% and lose their deposits. On the other hand, the delay in lockdown could boost the Reform Party, and take crucial votes from the Conservatives.
  • Options

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

It is not disgraceful at all. It is exactly what should be happening. When the Government is relying on outright lies to committees to protect their reputation after the massive fuck ups they have made it is a public duty to have this stuff out in the open.

I hope Cummings has a lot more of this stuff and it all comes out. What is disgraceful is that it needs whistleblowing like this to get to the facts.
    I think, with respect, you are confusing 2 different kinds of disgrace. Of course it is a disgrace that Hancock in particular has been lying to the select committee. But it is also impossible to work with people if you have to worry that every IM or Whatsapp you send is being recorded for posterity. The Official Secrets Act is there to make sure that government can actually work.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

He is publishing messages that prove what he said was true and that Ministers have been lying about what was said and done. If this continues then poor polling will be the least of their problems.
    How does it prove what he said?

He made many claims and these barely scratch the surface or are tangential at best to what was claimed.

Its entertaining because seeing the PM criticise a Cabinet Secretary with foul language is not normal. But its not really evidence.

He promised to provide evidence by a few weeks ago and seeing the PM swear is funny but not really the evidence claimed to have existed. If this is all he has its a bit meh.
  • Options
    VompVomp Posts: 36
    edited June 2021
    My favourite bit from the latest Cummings infodrop (27-28 April 2020):

DC: "I think the Government must control the government. I've got a plan" (...)
    BJ: "OK brill am all ears !"

What a pair of known Jean Monnet admirers they are!
    Not so likely they'll be anything like as successful as JM was, though.
  • Options
    WATO leading on the Cummings story
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,005

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

He’s brilliant. I take back all those things I may have said about him on here around May last year. Who knew he would provide such high quality entertainment and insight.

If he wants to set up a new opposition party to fill the void left by Labour and the LDs, count me in!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

Delivering the vaccine success is credibility. Cummings said you cannot leave it to NHS to procure them, it has to be taken away and given to a vaccine task force. Which was innovative. No matter what people think of Cummings, have to concede that one?

What sort of mess would Hancock and Boris be in today without the success of Cummings vaccine programme?
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

"We have the toughest border measures in the world."

New Zealand disagrees.
    Singapore's up there as well, as are Myanmar and japan - yet to meet someone who's entered N korea..
  • Options

WATO leading on the Cummings story

If only Starmer had asked about it, it would be leading the news...
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

If you are pro Brexit and centre right you can vote Tory, if you are pro Brexit but anti lockdown you can vote ReformUK, if you are anti Brexit you can vote LD, if you are centre left you can vote Labour, if you are further left you can vote Green, if you are a Scottish or Welsh Nationalist you can vote SNP or Plaid.

Roger means we need a party that people will vote for in large numbers, completely missing that there is a good reason why they currently don't, despite the obvious glaring weaknesses of the parties they do vote for.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

I think, with respect, you are confusing 2 different kinds of disgrace. Of course it is a disgrace that Hancock in particular has been lying to the select committee. But it is also impossible to work with people if you have to worry that every IM or Whatsapp you send is being recorded for posterity. The Official Secrets Act is there to make sure that government can actually work.
    The Official Secrets Act should be there to protect the security of the country, not to protect lying ministers and make sure they can never be found out. All Cummings has done is proved that what he said to the Select Committee was true. That should not and cannot be something covered by the OSA.
  • Options
    If the Lib Dems say they're 4% behind in C&A that probably means they're 8% behind. If they were actually 4% behind they'd say they were 2% behind.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

Cummings was asked to provide evidence to Parliament and he committed to do so by a certain date which IIRC was a couple of weeks ago. He failed to do so.

Now he's put out of context screenshots on a blog that aren't really evidence for much of what he claimed in Parliament.

If he has evidence to substantiate claims he made to Parliament he should provide that to the committee looking into this in Parliament. He hasn't done so.
    Actually he has. He claimed in the Select Committee that Johnson discussed sacking Hancock and was aware that he was making a mess of PPE. He has shown this morning that that was indeed the case.

He may not yet have published everything but given lots of people on here were claiming he had no evidence at all he has clearly shown that this was not the case.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

Delivering the vaccine success is credibility. Cummings said you cannot leave it to NHS to procure them, it has to be taken away and given to a vaccine task force. Which was innovative. No matter what people think of Cummings, have to concede that one?

What sort of mess would Hancock and Boris be in today without the success of Cummings vaccine programme?
    I was just asking who will get Cummings get support from. The man was ridiculed for months. My view on Cummings is not relevant to my point. Without him Boris would probably not be in Number 10. he is a brilliant political strategist, but his trip up North has ruined his credibility.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Brom said:

If the Lib Dems say they're 4% behind in C&A that probably means they're 8% behind. If they were actually 4% behind they'd say they were 2% behind.

True, although I believe the claim that it's fairly close between Con and LD.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

If you are pro Brexit and centre right you can vote Tory, if you are pro Brexit but anti lockdown you can vote ReformUK, if you are anti Brexit you can vote LD, if you are centre left you can vote Labour, if you are further left you can vote Green.

I think Roger's very valid point is that what we need is a party that is actually led by competent politicians. Although that is rapidly starting to look like an oxymoron these days.
    Which is a matter of getting more competent leaders at the top of those existing parties, not a need for any new parties. That is especially the case under FPTP where new parties will quickly disappear, it would only be relevant under PR.

However the party leader and candidates for Parliament are elected by party members so that is a point about getting more involved and joining existing political parties to select better candidates if anything
  • Options
    The public don't seem to be interested in what Cummings has to say, probably because of the Barnard Castle incident.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

True, although I believe the claim that it's fairly close between Con and LD.
    8% is relatively close on a by election turnout. Will be a few thousand votes between them which sounds about right.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

He’s brilliant. I take back all those things I may have said about him on here around May last year. Who knew he would provide such high quality entertainment and insight.

If he wants to set up a new opposition party to fill the void left by Labour and the LDs, count me in!
    The new Robert Kilroy-Silk? :-) The way he talks about "both" parties being pants suggests he either has the storming to power by a new party in mind (which election would that happen in?) or else some Monty Pythonesque "non-party" "solution". He's nuts. Which isn't to say those parties aren't pants, but this guy has a saviour complex.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The public don't seem to be interested in what Cummings has to say, probably because of the Barnard Castle incident.

Exactly, its like Prince Andrew suddenly talking about Womens Rights, no one would be interested.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    This care home staff compulsory vax business is going to be a big story.
    Totally incoherent care home worker on WATO.
    Freedom of choice, innit?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

I for one didn't accuse him of lying. What I said, as I have repeated this morning, is that by far the most interesting part of his evidence was his critique about how Whitehall makes decisions and fails to make decisions. I indicated that the least interesting part was the political tittle tattle. What we see today looks a lot more like the latter than the former.

But hey, whatever.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

B&S Tory Gain

Whose side are you actually on, Trotsky?
    Is he standing?

Labour needs a new leader if you cant see that well thats your problem.

Labour MPs are sleep walking to their slaughter.

I already asked mine what his plans are after GE2024 when he loses his seat

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,554
    Vomp said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

The new Robert Kilroy-Silk? :-) The way he talks about "both" parties being pants suggests he either has the storming to power by a new party in mind (which election would that happen in?) or else some Monty Pythonesque "non-party" "solution". He's nuts. Which isn't to say those parties aren't pants, but this guy has a saviour complex.
    The ironic point is that he is correct, in that our media-political-electoral loop selects for politicians who know nothing but can bullshit like a salesman.

Consider what would happen if a politician, when asked a question said "I don't know. But I will find out"...
  • Options
    "People may need to continue to follow social distancing, work from home, wear masks and comply with test and trace long after the end of the reopening road map, scientists have told the government.

Experts from Sage, the government’s science advisory group, warned ministers that a series of measures “are likely to be needed beyond the end of the current road map process” to avoid “the likelihood of having to reverse parts of the road map”." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-may-not-know-if-it-s-safe-to-lift-covid-restrictions-in-3-weeks-scientist-warns-qqvptfr8l
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    The reports about covid in Moscow are worrying.

Whether its Delta sweeping through a low vaccinated population or a possible new variant travel restrictions need to be tightened immediately.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

to

I was just asking who will get Cummings get support from. The man was ridiculed for months. My view on Cummings is not relevant to my point. Without him Boris would probably not be in Number 10. he is a brilliant political strategist, but his trip up North has ruined his credibility.
    Agreed he is a brilliant strategist. But what do you think his strategic aim is now?

(And why is Michael Gove keeping so quiet? Lol. But there really is no way Cummings is going to take over "SW1" with Gove as his little man next time.)
  • Options
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    On Finland +1.5 @ 1.49
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,554

The reports about covid in Moscow are worrying.

Whether its Delta sweeping through a low vaccinated population or a possible new variant travel restrictions need to be tightened immediately.

Inevitable. Around the world, it's Delta vs Vaccinations. Very soon....
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    dixiedean said:

This care home staff compulsory vax business is going to be a big story.
    Totally incoherent care home worker on WATO.
    Freedom of choice, innit?

That's one issue you can be sure the government will have public opinion on its side.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    You got me there

Sad state of affairs
This discussion has been closed.