Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The big dividing line in British politics – retirees who gave Johnson his majority – politicalbettin

Comments

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Incidentally my son has been very active in school debating for a couple of years now and indeed has his house cup competition today. It is a very common motion that the voting of those over 75 should either be restricted or down weighted in some way so that the young are encouraged to take part and the policy mix is better focused in their direction.

Wheng I first heard of this idea I had some considerable difficultly in reconciling it with democracy but there is no doubt that our policy mix has been heavily influenced by the increasing number of the elderly and their propensity to vote. The triple lock is perhaps the most egregious example but there are many others. The motion tends to win amongst school kids!

Doing it on the basis of economic inactivity is clearly invidious and overlooks that many younger people are similarly inactive, as others have said.

The best argument in favour would be to weight votes by average remaining life expectancy, which would upweight the votes of the young on the grounds that they will suffer the consequences of today's policy decisions for much longer.
    Yes the heart of the argument is that it tends to make government policy rather short termist and not put enough emphasis on things like global warming and environmental factors. I am not sure that is entirely accurate but it is what is contended.
    If they ever get around to replacing the Lords, it would be interesting to play around with getting better representation in the political process for groups underserved by one person one vote. This is after all the same premise for bishops sitting in Parliament. The inverting demographic period is an obvious target.

But what about going a step further and having a ring fenced lobby empowered on behalf of those not yet born? I call it the Cathedral Lobby, in place to ensure proper attention on big challenges and opportunities for human civilisation that are a) highly likely to occur, b) are improbable in our lifetime, and c) will take a multi generational effort to confront. Climate change broadly fits this of course but also supervolcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts, shifting global polarity, solar weather, AI, bioengineering etc... And on the opportunities side, interstellar probes (and travel), terraforming, AI, bioengineering, fusion and Dyson spheres etc...

Politics as it exists is just so mundane.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

The concern shouldn’t be about age per se, but about economic activity. That the economically inactive apparently have a stranglehold on our democracy is certainly not a healthy state of affairs, and leads to distorted policies that protect them whilst shifting the burden onto those still contributing to growing the economy.

A glaring example would be council tax support, where nowadays both the unemployed and the lowest income of working families have to pay a significant proportion of the council tax whereas millions of pensioners still have their council tax paid for them in full by order of HMG.

Who are these pensioners not paying council tax? Asking because I want to make sure my parents aren't missing out on something. :)

Ultimately, the problem is that no democracy has ever gone down the road of only letting net tax payers vote. Should those employed in the public sector get a vote?
    I was surprised by that comment and have not heard it before

There is a reduction if the pensioner loses their spouse but not paying Council tax at all is not the case

I would need evidence of this to be honest
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/help-with-your-council-tax-council-tax-reduction/how-your-council-tax-reduction-is-worked-out/council-tax-reduction-how-your-capital-is-worked-out-if-you-re-a-pensioner/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The battle for electoral success is fought in the 40 to 50 age group. The Tories won in 2019 by moving the age point at which they got most votes down to 39. In 2017, it was further into the 40s.

Yes, this should be Labour's target age group, basically Centrist Dads like me. They have the advantage with Centrist Mums already. There will always be some left wing pensioners, and interestingly the LD vote is pretty even across all age groups.

I would suggest that policies aimed at the young can be popular with the middle aged too. Partly because we are worried about our teen and twenty-something kids getting established in life, but also because of more recent memories of being that age ourselves.

Reform of the Student Loan situation was quite popular with my age peers in 2017, and should be a centre-piece of Labour policy. Zero-interest would almost be a free policy as it is increasingly obvious that most are going to be written off anyway. Negative interest not such a bad idea too.

Social care funded by NI for pensioners too, with NI eventually being subsumed into income tax.
    Reform of student loans is not, regardless of the merits of it, going to change many votes. Those who benefit from student loans are going to overwhelmingly vote Labour already and would not switch to the tories for this.

Regarding oldies being sheltered by the tories. Try telling those who saved all their lives, paid vast sums in tax for the NHS, and find their homes have to be sold to pay for end of life residential care. That is a far bigger disgrace than student loans.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

The concern shouldn’t be about age per se, but about economic activity. That the economically inactive apparently have a stranglehold on our democracy is certainly not a healthy state of affairs, and leads to distorted policies that protect them whilst shifting the burden onto those still contributing to growing the economy.

A glaring example would be council tax support, where nowadays both the unemployed and the lowest income of working families have to pay a significant proportion of the council tax whereas millions of pensioners still have their council tax paid for them in full by order of HMG.

Who are these pensioners not paying council tax? Asking because I want to make sure my parents aren't missing out on something. :)

Ultimately, the problem is that no democracy has ever gone down the road of only letting net tax payers vote. Should those employed in the public sector get a vote?
    That policy would disenfranchise pretty much all pensioners too.
    Pretty well anyone with much of a 'private'...... more than the full OAP ..... pays income tax. The personal allowance isn't very different from a full OAP.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,112
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Army has spaffed £3.5 billion on new tanks that can't be driven at more than 20mph or reverse over an obstacle more than 20cm high.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/02/new-british-tanks-costing-35bn-cannot-driven-safely-20mph-reveals/ (£££)

Ideal for capturing towns that have "twenty's plenty" zones, provided they don't also have speed humps?
    That’s Hyufd’s invasion of Scotland buggered then.
    Set him back an entire generation...
    It’s going to take more than two years to sort out these issues if they’re anywhere near as described.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

There is a reduction if the pensioner loses their spouse but not paying Council tax at all is not the case

I suspect, Mr G that both you and I would be interested in further and better particulars?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If you are caring for a partner diagnosed with dementia you can receive a council tax deduction. Equally if you have to live in a larger house to accommodate a wheelchair, you also can get a reduction.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,866
    Dura_Ace said:

The fact that estimated cost has doubled since Johnson started going on about it will, of course, be of no concern to the tories.

"Can we have money to educate kids"

"No, we can't afford it"

"A boat with flags on it?

"Fuck yeah!"
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    O/T but linked to our long discussion on HS2 and the implications for Chesham and Amersham the other night:

At least one party is going big on campaigning against HS2 in this by-election. The Greens are talking muchly about the ecological damage:

https://paulbigland.blog/2021/06/02/the-theatre-of-the-absurd-the-green-party-and-the-amersham-by-election/

(The link is to a journalist/blogger who is a longstanding and outspoken supporter of HS2, so be aware he is incredibly critical of the Green stance on this - but you could probably deduce that from the link!)
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    This kind of divide is only going to get worse once the oldies are watching 24 hour Tory propaganda on Gammon Boomer News.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,866
    On Mar 23rd 2021, I asked PM what he thought main legacy challenge wld be. “The loss of learning. That’s the thing we’ve got to focus on”
    “Our future as a country depends on us now repaying that generation, making sure they get the education they need” PM words 👇🏻
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1400354310085558275/photo/1
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

I suspect, Mr G that both you and I would be interested in further and better particulars?
    Indeed but of course we are in Wales and it is fairly certain it is different

But I have not heard of anyone being exempt from paying all or part of council tax
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

On Mar 23rd 2021, I asked PM what he thought main legacy challenge wld be. “The loss of learning. That’s the thing we’ve got to focus on”
    “Our future as a country depends on us now repaying that generation, making sure they get the education they need” PM words 👇🏻

Good.

Now follow through and abolish the key barriers to doing so - OFSTED, OFQUAL and the DfE.

Rather than bunging £1.5 billion to your mates in a failed organisation like Teach First.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Boy, why?

If GB News is to the right of the current offering (not especially difficult) why would people be persuaded by that if the BBC hasn't made them left wing?
  • Options
    Doubtless now that both Germany and France have effectively banned almost all British travellers, the government can afford to move both of them onto its green list, alongside the other countries that won't let us in?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Dura_Ace said:

Bit like HMY Britannia 2.0 - is there an age divide over whether it should be launched or not?

The first render of HMY Flaggy McFlagface has appeared and it looks like Cammell Laird are designing it in Roblox.

The fact that estimated cost has doubled since Johnson started going on about it will, of course, be of no concern to the tories.
    Will it fit under a Boris Bridge was the primary design criterion.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/help-with-your-council-tax-council-tax-reduction/how-your-council-tax-reduction-is-worked-out/council-tax-reduction-how-your-capital-is-worked-out-if-you-re-a-pensioner/
    I would be very interested to know just how many actually qualify for this and of course it is not a general handout
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

Sean_F said:

It's quite striking that every single segment of the population that has a higher than average propensity to vote Conservative also has a higher than average propensity to turn out to vote, according to IPSOS Mori. The highest turnout, 80%, was among degree holders aged over 55, who split 49/25 in favour of the Conservatives.

Yes, a good thing we have a democratic government that isn't tempted to make it harder to vote.

Oh.
    I have to prove who I am to pick up parcels - why should I not have to to vote? As a minimum if you don't attend with your polling card, you should have to provide something else. It may not be the worst problem around the security of voting (that is surely abuse of postal voting) but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.
  • Options

Mr. Boy, why?

If GB News is to the right of the current offering (not especially difficult) why would people be persuaded by that if the BBC hasn't made them left wing?

The BBC isn't left wing. R4 is like a Tory party political broadcast these days, I can't listen to it.
    If you want to see how this plays out, take a look at what 20 years of Fox News has achieved in America. People who live in a world of alternative facts.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Mr. Boy, why?

Indeed, I'd suggest that if anything the current set up in TV news is actually helping the Tories.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Sun's out, guns out. The People's Chancellor is on maneuvers at Catterick.

It usually means a leadership challenge is in the offing when tories start larping.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    There was some brief speculation on the last thread about support or otherwise for delaying June 21st - suggesting support came from the elderly/fully vaccinated (and those against lockdowns anyway), and opposition from those net yet vaccinated. Basically U40s. I suspect this is a misreading of what is driving views on this particular stage.

For the vast majority of people I think it is (probably rightly) perceived that the next stage of unlocking will allow them to do little that they can’t, or aren’t, doing at the moment. Since they are content with the current restrictions they are in no mood to take “risks” which might actually result in any sort of rolling back if it goes wrong. And then there is another massive group who perceive a further huge disadvantage to lifting restrictions. Those who are working at home and under current rules won’t be asked to come into their offices. For them June 21st could represent a massive perceived expectation of decline in their quality of life.

So I do not find it surprising that public support for no delay is finely balanced at best. Lots of the rhetoric makes it sound as if we are still near prisoners in our own homes. That is not the reality, and impacts on businesses etc is never something that will drive public polls because many do not make a link. If they see a pub with all tables occupied on a sunny afternoon they assume it must be making money.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

This kind of divide is only going to get worse once the oldies are watching 24 hour Tory propaganda on Gammon Boomer News.

Many of the oldies I know wouldn’t have a clue how to find (and, to be fair, not much interest in finding) the new channel.
  • Options

Why are the left so scared of GBnews, they have Sky and the BBC
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Incidentally my son has been very active in school debating for a couple of years now and indeed has his house cup competition today. It is a very common motion that the voting of those over 75 should either be restricted or down weighted in some way so that the young are encouraged to take part and the policy mix is better focused in their direction.

When I first heard of this idea I had some considerable difficultly in reconciling it with democracy but there is no doubt that our policy mix has been heavily influenced by the increasing number of the elderly and their propensity to vote. The triple lock is perhaps the most egregious example but there are many others. The motion tends to win amongst school kids!

Doing it on the basis of economic inactivity is clearly invidious and overlooks that many younger people are similarly inactive, as others have said.

The best argument in favour would be to weight votes by average remaining life expectancy, which would upweight the votes of the young on the grounds that they will suffer the consequences of today's policy decisions for much longer.
    Yep. What could possibly go wrong there?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It's quite striking that every single segment of the population that has a higher than average propensity to vote Conservative also has a higher than average propensity to turn out to vote, according to IPSOS Mori. The highest turnout, 80%, was among degree holders aged over 55, who split 49/25 in favour of the Conservatives.

Yes, a good thing we have a democratic government that isn't tempted to make it harder to vote.

Oh.
    I have to prove who I am to pick up parcels - why should I not have to to vote? As a minimum if you don't attend with your polling card, you should have to provide something else. It may not be the worst problem around the security of voting (that is surely abuse of postal voting) but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.
    You have to provide ID to pick up a parcel because there is a demonstrable risk of fraud in that case. Personation isn't a problem in UK elections. All the voting fraud is around postal votes, which this law won't have any effect on. So if there's no problem to fix, why are they doing it? Don't be naive.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177
    Dura_Ace said:

Bit like HMY Britannia 2.0 - is there an age divide over whether it should be launched or not?

The first render of HMY Flaggy McFlagface has appeared and it looks like Cammell Laird are designing it in Roblox.

Don't worry - money won't be spaffed at an actual ship builder. No, one of the Tory donors is right now founding a new company to build the boat and as with PPE will be awarded the contract without tender despite having no past experience in shipbuilding.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Dura_Ace said:

Don't worry - money won't be spaffed at an actual ship builder. No, one of the Tory donors is right now founding a new company to build the boat and as with PPE will be awarded the contract without tender despite having no past experience in shipbuilding.
    Damn....rumbled!
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Although even at that, they would still do better than the Scottish Government has managed over those CalMac ferries.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Good.

Now follow through and abolish the key barriers to doing so - OFSTED, OFQUAL and the DfE.

Rather than bunging £1.5 billion to your mates in a failed organisation like Teach First.
    I wonder if the reason Rishi only allowed 1.7 billion of the 15 billion is to do with the Barnett formula

Applying that to 1.7 v 15 billion is an enormous difference and with indyref2 on the table
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Dura_Ace said:

It usually means a leadership challenge is in the offing when tories start larping.

He would be a dream casualty/log.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

I would be very interested to know just how many actually qualify for this and of course it is not a general handout
    about 1.5 million pensioners in England
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    tlg86 said:

The reason Boris Johnson won a majority in 2019 was mainly because the Left vote splintered a bit from the 2017 election, but the Tories did do a little bit better among 35 to 54 year olds.

What is clear, however, is that Brexit has accentuated the age divide.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2429229/

Thanks for posting that. It does show the limits of the "you get your blue rosette along with your mortgage" and "no heart, no head" theories. It's not that they were wrong, but they only applied to a smallish sector of the population.

Up to 2015, there were substantial chunks of young Conservatives and retired Socialists.

By 2017, things had changed. And whilst that doesn't prove it's a Brexit split (in which case we, as a society, have all sorts of problems), it's pretty strongly suggestive.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Big 'Jim Murphy, the man the Nats fear' energy from the We <3 GBNews lads.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Oh.
    You have to provide ID to pick up a parcel because there is a demonstrable risk of fraud in that case. Personation isn't a problem in UK elections. All the voting fraud is around postal votes, which this law won't have any effect on. So if there's no problem to fix, why are they doing it? Don't be naive.
    Not having to provide any identification except one’s word is a very British thing and I would be very sad to see it go. It shouldn’t go unless there is a compelling reason to and I can’t say I’ve seen one yet.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Wheng I first heard of this idea I had some considerable difficultly in reconciling it with democracy but there is no doubt that our policy mix has been heavily influenced by the increasing number of the elderly and their propensity to vote. The triple lock is perhaps the most egregious example but there are many others. The motion tends to win amongst school kids!

Yes the heart of the argument is that it tends to make government policy rather short termist and not put enough emphasis on things like global warming and environmental factors. I am not sure that is entirely accurate but it is what is contended.
    It's a very old argument in a new guise. Once upon a time, the argument was that the lower classes should not be enfranchised (or alternatively, the franchise should be weighted in favour of the wealthy) because then they'd just vote for all sorts of free stuff.
    And have done.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

To be honest it does sound a fair scheme, they are hardly well off
  • Options

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

It's a very old argument in a new guise. Once upon a time, the argument was that the lower classes should not be enfranchised (or alternatively, the franchise should be weighted in favour of the wealthy) because then they'd just vote for all sorts of free stuff.
    And have done.

Just because a argument is correct it doesn’t mean it is a good one.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Oh.
    Naive - you presumably think it has sinister connotations? I happen to believe that the right to vote is sacrosanct and important enough that you should have some means of proving who you are. Presumably the voters you fear wont be able to vote, also cannot retrieve parcels?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Labour are just shading it with working age people if you include students and don’t include people who work aged 65 or over, I doubt that entitles them to be called ‘the party of the workers’

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

tlg86 said:

The reason Boris Johnson won a majority in 2019 was mainly because the Left vote splintered a bit from the 2017 election, but the Tories did do a little bit better among 35 to 54 year olds.

Thanks for posting that. It does show the limits of the "you get your blue rosette along with your mortgage" and "no heart, no head" theories. It's not that they were wrong, but they only applied to a smallish sector of the population.

Up to 2015, there were substantial chunks of young Conservatives and retired Socialists.

By 2017, things had changed. And whilst that doesn't prove it's a Brexit split (in which case we, as a society, have all sorts of problems), it's pretty strongly suggestive.

Once again, Paul Weller nailed it:

"The values that we had once upon a time
    Seem stupid now that the rent must be paid
    And some bonds severed
    And others made"

Slight quibble that he said rent rather than mortgage, but that wouldn't have scanned very well.
  • Options

The BBC, particularly in the East, surely cannot be described as ‘left-wing’ by anyone, other than the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Sean_F said:

Oh.
    If you asked the great bulk of voters "There is a risk that somebody might go to a polling station before you and vote - as you - for a party you despise. The government is proposing to close off this possibility by requiring photo identification be shown at the polling station. Do you agree with them doing this?" they would say "Damned right I agree!"

• Options

Sean_F said:

Oh.
    Voter ID - like the redrawing of constituencies - will not now happen. When the people to be disenfranchised by ID and the MPs to lose there seats were all Labour then there was purpose in doing so. Now? The government would be losing its own voters and cutting back its MPs.

So what we now have is virtue signalling. Show the troops and the heartland voters that you want to stop their money being wasted up north but don't actually do anything. Like how we keep announcing that we have taken back control of our borders but in reality have only bought the Home Secretary a jacket and sent her out on a photoshoot.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Boy, haven't listened to the radio for a long time.

On TV, it's pretty soft left liberal.

Also, the Fox News gibe seems unfair given it's not broadcast anything yet, and Ofcom (presumably) would prevent something too far. Although Sky News threw a massive pro-EU wobbly...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

He would be a dream casualty/log.
    Medevac him with a DJI Mavic.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The BBC, particularly in the East, surely cannot be described as ‘left-wing’ by anyone, other than the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg!
    You must be joking if you think the BBC is balanced
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Is there data for the under 40 year old non graduate/graduate vote split?
  • Options

I don't watch Sky so I don't know about their output. The idea that the BBC's news output is leftwing is laughable, with smug Tory Nick Robinson, government spokesperson Laura Kuensberg etc. I can't listen to it. I have Magic on in the car to keep my blood pressure down.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Similar debate in the lead up to the US constitution.
    Though they preferred "better sort of people" to the term wealthy.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Remarkable Newsweek article, telling the story of how a bunch of online amateur Sherlocks sleuthed the lab leak hypothesis, and made it mainstream

Simultaneously dispiriting and encouraging. Dispiriting because of the terrible lies and evasions from China, and the duplicitous omerta from western scientists, encouraging because it shows that concerned citizens around the world can make a massive difference, just with a phone, a laptop and the Net

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-how-amateur-sleuths-broke-wuhan-lab-story-embarrassed-media-1596958

It is also highly persuasive, if you need to be persuaded that it came from the lab
  • Options
    edited June 2021

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

To be honest it does sound a fair scheme, they are hardly well off
    Neither are the three million plus low income employed and unemployed younger people, who have had their 100% support taken away. There are plenty of case studies around as to the impact these cuts have had on many low income families.

The point - which is back where we started - is that pensioners have been protected from many of the cuts that have been imposed on younger people.

The qualification for getting 100% support is age; there is no other way to get it, however poor you are.
  • Options
    Floater said:

I don’t; I think it’s become pro-Conservative!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Oh.
    If you asked the great bulk of voters "There is a risk that somebody might go to a polling station before you and vote - as you - for a party you despise. The government is proposing to close off this possibility by requiring photo identification be shown at the polling station. Do you agree with them doing this?" they would say "Damned right I agree!"

If you told them "you have more chance of being struck by lightening than having your vote stolen through personification, but thousands of voters are going to be disenfranchised in a way that will likely skew the result in favour of the party doing this, should we go ahead?" the answer might differ.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Sean_F said:

Oh.

Well of course, but you have biased the question in the first place (as per Sir Humphrey), by saying 'There is a risk ....,' when in fact there is practically zero risk.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Remarkable Newsweek article, telling the story of how a bunch of online amateur Sherlocks sleuthed the lab leak hypothesis, and made it mainstream

Simultaneously dispiriting and encouraging. Dispiriting because of the terrible lies and evasions from China, and the duplicitous omerta from western scientists, encouraging because it shows that concerned citizens around the world can make a massive difference, just with a phone, a laptop and the Net

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-how-amateur-sleuths-broke-wuhan-lab-story-embarrassed-media-1596958

It is also highly persuasive, if you need to be persuaded that it came from the lab

You seem to have decided well in advance of any evidence!

Maybe your alien chums brought it with them from Zog, on one of their survelling outings?
  • Options

Perhaps not left-wing, but it certainly has a particular set of values which it regards as self-evident. It is very keen on diversity as long as all the people it employs share those values. Questions are asked and programmes commissioned on the assumption that those values are so obviously true that if anyone disagrees the task is to find out why those people are wrong/lying, rather than to investigate to see if they might have a point.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    Daily Mail getting worked up over US conspiracy theories.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9645787/Emails-Fauci-warned-COVID-engineered-start-pandemic.html

The "lab expert" who "warned" Fauci responds.
    https://twitter.com/K_G_Andersen/status/1400182670458384384
    I know it's super mundane, but it isn't actually a "massive cover-up" Sharri. It's just science. Boring, I know, but it's quite a helpful thing to have in times of uncertainty.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Oh.

If you told them "you have more chance of being struck by lightening than having your vote stolen through personification, but thousands of voters are going to be disenfranchised in a way that will likely skew the result in favour of the party doing this, should we go ahead?" the answer might differ.
    The problem isn’t ID per se; it’s photo ID. We all have a polling card.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited June 2021
    Floater said:

Not managing to be balanced all the time does not mean attempting to maintain balance should just be abandoned.

But the reaction to GB news has been absurd. Some statements from its founders make me doubtful about its motivations and direction, nor is there a market for balanced news i think, but as noted above it's not even broadcast yet - skepticism, sure, but we cannot condemn it yet.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Sean_F said:

Oh.

When I turned up to the polling station at the last GE I was told that I had already voted.

I put it down to cock up rather than conspiracy but even matching an ID with the printed list would mean an extra check to avoid the former.

That said, I am very aware of the implications of ID cards in terms of inhibiting voters so can live without it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

In 2010 Labour had pretty much achieved an even spread across the ages, as Clegg nicked many of the younger voters.
    Things could be a lot worse for Labour if the Lib Dems were still relevant.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

Dura_Ace said:

Hasnt ex cabinet Minister Chris Grayling got a track record in this sort of thing?
  • Options
    The lengths China will go to, in its eagerness to hide the origins of Covid-19 in that Yunnan mine

BBC journalist writes a thread:

https://twitter.com/thejohnsudworth/status/1397223364725514248?s=21
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Maybe your alien chums brought it with them from Zog, on one of their survelling outings?
    Zog is a dragon not a planet
  • Options
    Leon said:

The fact that, although everybody knew the Wuhan lab was a prime candidate, this knowledge was “tainted” and ignored for a year in the eyes of the media because it was promoted by those of a right leaning tendency, shows how left biased UK and US media are.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

Not managing to be balanced all the time does not mean attempting to maintain balance should just be abandoned.

But the reaction to GB news has been absurd. Some statements from its founders make me doubtful about its motivations and direction, nor is there a market for balanced news i think, but as noted above it's not even broadcast yet - skepticism, sure, but we cannot condemn it yet.
    Anything that weakens the BBC stranglehold on news has to be a good thing.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Oh.

Hence my view that it should be presented, and if not then ID required.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699
    tlg86 said:

Even if such a method was decided upon, what is net?

I've been working over twenty years now and I'm not convinced I'm a net tax payer. Sure I pay VAT (well, sorta), PAYE (well, sorta), council tax, road tax etc but what do I get back out of the system? I don't claim any benefit at all, but I do make use of state owned roads, my bins get collected and the street is lit at night. What value would I place on these?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Oh.

Hence my view that it should be presented, and if not then ID required.
    If there are really serious concerns over fraud, we could always vote by fingerprint. Simple, robust and easy to do with our electoral system, flawed as it is.

The fact this has not been suggested indicates to me that it’s not the primary concern of the government.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Leon said:

The fact that, although everybody knew the Wuhan lab was a prime candidate, this knowledge was “tainted” and ignored for a year in the eyes of the media because it was promoted by those of a right leaning tendency, shows how left biased UK and US media are.
    If Covid wasn’t such an overwhelming crisis, this would be a massive crisis on the front pages: a terrible failure in western media, aiding and abetting a huge cover-up by China
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    moonshine said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

If they ever get around to replacing the Lords, it would be interesting to play around with getting better representation in the political process for groups underserved by one person one vote. This is after all the same premise for bishops sitting in Parliament. The inverting demographic period is an obvious target.

But what about going a step further and having a ring fenced lobby empowered on behalf of those not yet born? I call it the Cathedral Lobby, in place to ensure proper attention on big challenges and opportunities for human civilisation that are a) highly likely to occur, b) are improbable in our lifetime, and c) will take a multi generational effort to confront. Climate change broadly fits this of course but also supervolcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts, shifting global polarity, solar weather, AI, bioengineering etc... And on the opportunities side, interstellar probes (and travel), terraforming, AI, bioengineering, fusion and Dyson spheres etc...

Politics as it exists is just so mundane.
    Surely once we have an alien dictatorship we will look back on the present as the good old days?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,248

kle4 said:

Floater said:

What BBC stranglehold on news? What about news agencies (like Reuters), newspapers and other broadcasters? Will GB News even be a newsgathering operation or will it just be reading out agency reports?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

The bigger question about GB News is the financial one. Sky News has never paid its way, but runs for PR reasons. GBN plans to be cheaper, by not gathering so much news, but how much as income can you get around a nightly Andrew Neill show? (Iain Dale's show on LBC gets about 600k listeners over the course of a week- James O'Brexit about 1.3 million).
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Even if such a method was decided upon, what is net?

I've been working over twenty years now and I'm not convinced I'm a net tax payer. Sure I pay VAT (well, sorta), PAYE (well, sorta), council tax, road tax etc but what do I get back out of the system? I don't claim any benefit at all, but I do make use of state owned roads, my bins get collected and the street is lit at night. What value would I place on these?
    You aren't being raped or murdered by either invading armies or hordes of thugs. You are able to buy stuff in the shops without having to take a wheelbarrow full of fivers. You can say what you like about the state without being hauled off for random torture or murder by security police. You benefit from a nation that is (largely) healthy, educated and productive.

To name a few. You are very much a net tax payer - and the freedom to pretend that you are not is also what benefit you get from paying your taxes.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848

Foxy said:

The battle for electoral success is fought in the 40 to 50 age group. The Tories won in 2019 by moving the age point at which they got most votes down to 39. In 2017, it was further into the 40s.

Yes, this should be Labour's target age group, basically Centrist Dads like me. They have the advantage with Centrist Mums already. There will always be some left wing pensioners, and interestingly the LD vote is pretty even across all age groups.

I would suggest that policies aimed at the young can be popular with the middle aged too. Partly because we are worried about our teen and twenty-something kids getting established in life, but also because of more recent memories of being that age ourselves.

Reform of the Student Loan situation was quite popular with my age peers in 2017, and should be a centre-piece of Labour policy. Zero-interest would almost be a free policy as it is increasingly obvious that most are going to be written off anyway. Negative interest not such a bad idea too.

Social care funded by NI for pensioners too, with NI eventually being subsumed into income tax.
    "Zero-interest would almost be a free policy as it is increasingly obvious that most are going to be written off anyway."

I reckon Boris will do this soon - to cut Labour off from getting a popular policy.

Magpie Boris will be happy to leave Labour with a rag-tag of unpopular stuff.
    Isn’t that actually much easier said than done, because most of the loans are sold off commercially - both to get the debt off the governments books, and eliminate the risk of unpaid loans decades down the line.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited June 2021
    Except the New Statesman figures include students amongst the figure for 'excluding retirees.'

As I showed last night IPSOS Mori had the Tories winning all classes amongst over 65s in 2019 and the Tories won ABs, C1s and C2s amongst 35-54s with Labour winning DEs amongst that age group.

Labour won all classes amongst 18 to 34s though so it is really only students and under 35s not yet on the property ladder Labour won, once workers neared 40 and got on the property ladder they voted Tory (with only those low paid workers or the unemployed still in social housing or renting over 40 in social class DE sticking with Labour).

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2019-election

Blair of course even managed to win retirees over 65 in 1997 41% to 36% for the Tories and in 2001 he only lost them by 1% to Hague and in 2005 by just 4% to Howard. Even Brown only lost them by 13% in 2010 and so it really is a particularly post Brexit phenomonon.

For example Boris beat Corbyn by a vast 47% margin amongst over 65s in 2019 compared to the 24% margin Cameron beat Ed Miliband by in 2015 amongst retirees
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Brexit, or Corbyn? Those old enough to remember when there were lots of Corbyn-types around, knew it wasn’t for them - whereas the younger voters were taken in by the magic grandpa.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398

Gay people are cleverer, more advanced than straights. According to this BBC report, gays had photography in the 18th Century (see the picture captions).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57176199

Am I the only one with a sufficiently puerile sense of humour to note that one of the academics mentioned in the article is a Professor Cocks?
  • Options
    Mad Theory Alert

On Worldometer, China, with a population of 1,400,000,000, is at number 98 in terms of cases, just behind Montenegro (population 622,000)

In terms of deaths, China, population 1,400,000,000, is in 61st place, just behind North Macedonia (population 2m)

Is this credible? Not really. As we’ve often discussed, China must be simply under-counting. Right?

Well maybe. But what if China isn’t undercounting, particularly? After all, their economy has bounced back, it has already regained all lost GDP, and they are living fairly normally, unlike us. Their behaviour speaks of a genuinely flattened pandemic

How have they done this? Are they superhuman? One answer could be this: they knew exactly what virus they were dealing with. They knew how it spread. They knew how to quarantine against it. They knew all the protocols, they maybe had therapeutics (vaccines even?) ready to go. Because they engineered the damn virus in the first place. In the Iab in Wuhan. Possibly as a bio weapon

The argument against this is the early chaos we saw in wuhan and hubei. But that only argues for an inadvertent leak, rather than deliberate release. It still came from the lab

Anyone still arguing for natural zoonosis has to explain China’s phenomenal ability to contain this virus, almost as if they were forewarned

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Brexit, or Corbyn? Those old enough to remember when there were lots of Corbyn-types around, knew it wasn’t for them - whereas the younger voters were taken in by the magic grandpa.
    I think there is a lot of truth in this. PM Corbyn was a pretty frightening thought for those of us that can remember the last time the middle to far left held sway in the country. Although I am a Brexit-sceptic, I can understand why some people saw it as something "patriotic". If you then amplify this by Labour having a leader who seemed to be ashamed of his country , you can see why older voters would have been repelled from voting Labour, and either stayed at home or voted blue.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Except the New Statesman figures include students amongst the figure for 'excluding retirees.'

As I showed last night IPSOS Mori had the Tories winning all classes amongst over 65s in 2019 and the Tories won ABs, C1s and C2s amongst 35-54s with Labour winning DEs amongst that age group.

Labour won all classes amongst 18 to 34s though so it is really only students and under 35s not yet on the property ladder Labour won, once workers neared 40 and got on the property ladder they voted Tory (with only those low paid workers or the unemployed still in social housing or renting over 40 in social class DE sticking with Labour).

Blair of course even managed to win retirees over 65 in 1997 41% to 36% for the Tories and in 2001 he only lost them by 1% to Hague and in 2005 by just 4% to Howard. Even Brown only lost them by 13% in 2010 and so it really is a particularly post Brexit phenomonon.

In 1997 I was still working with 6 years to go before I could draw any of my pensions. I was a senior (in my speciality) NHS staff member, and my views were similar to those with whom I worked.
    In other words the issues which faced me then were not necessarily those which face me 20+ years later, although as far as I am concerned, I've stayed on the left. I wonder why I'm unusual.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mad Theory Alert

On Worldometer, China, with a population of 1,400,000,000, is at number 98 in terms of cases, just behind Montenegro (population 622,000)

In terms of deaths, China, population 1,400,000,000, is in 61st place, just behind North Macedonia (population 2m)

Is this credible? Not really. As we’ve often discussed, China must be simply under-counting. Right?

Well maybe. But what if China isn’t undercounting, particularly? After all, their economy has bounced back, it has already regained all lost GDP, and they are living fairly normally, unlike us. Their behaviour speaks of a genuinely flattened pandemic

How have they done this? Are they superhuman? One answer could be this: they knew exactly what virus they were dealing with. They knew how it spread. They knew how to quarantine against it. They knew all the protocols, they maybe had therapeutics (vaccines even?) ready to go. Because they engineered the damn virus in the first place. In the Iab in Wuhan. Possibly as a bio weapon

The argument against this is the early chaos we saw in wuhan and hubei. But that only argues for an inadvertent leak, rather than deliberate release. It still came from the lab

Anyone still arguing for natural zoonosis has to explain China’s phenomenal ability to contain this virus, almost as if they were forewarned

Alternatively, as it mainly kills old people and the majority of the outbreak was confined to one province, it wasn’t likely to do wild amounts of economic damage if hey were able to unlock quickly. Indeed, quite the contrary.

Which, due to the extreme strictness of their lockdown, they were.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited June 2021
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

@georgeeaton @bnhwalker From Ipsos Mori's post-GE2019 data.

No qualifications:

Con 59%
    Lab 23%
    LD 7%
    Oth 11%

Degree or higher:

Lab 39%
    Con 34%
    LD 17%
    Oth 10%

How many of Labour’s “degree” supporters are people who wouldn’t have had a degree before Major’s reforms to the poly system?

We just need to be careful we are looking at consistent bases
    A “degree” is a degree is a degree. Some of the polys provide a better education than the old world.
    Just to be clear I wasn’t using the inverted commas in a disparaging way, just for classification.

My point is simply that a large percentage of people who are classed as having degrees now wouldn’t have had degrees 30 years ago.

So - as someone else pointed out - part of this data set needs to be controlled for age. In addition, I suspect that people who get a degree in a non academic subject from a less recognised university are more likely to struggle economically (plus have student debt) so - once again - the data isn’t comparable over time
    I think you are wrong, an engineer or healthcare professional from a poly is more immediately economically useful than, say, a theologian from Cambridge. I know a couple of the latter. Good grief.

The way you classify people with a degree is the same today as it was 30 years ago. They have a degree.
    That depends if the theologian from Cambridge wanted to join the Church or be a Theology academic, in which case the degree would be very useful to them.

Given we now have over 40% of 18 year olds going to university compared to only about 10% 40 years ago then by definition more graduates are only going to be earning an average wage now even if they do a degree with a high graduate earning premium like law or business.

40 years ago most graduates would have been in the top 10% of earners and more Tory inclined than those coming out now with debt and only an average wage at best and years from getting to buy their first home
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

I think the key point is that the lab leak hypothesis is most dramatic and exciting.
    Leon has a journalist’s soul, which means drama and excitement (and, preferably, outrage where possible) are key heuristics.
    You can’t blame journalists. Their job is grabbing attention from a busy populace, and that’s what works. Highlighting the unrepresentative and unusual, often in fields where they have little background (because they don’t really have the time for expertise).

Sometimes they’re even right. Although these are not the metrics to be used to best judge what is and is not right, sheer chance will occasionally cause a bullseye.

Not remotely convinced at the moment, but I’m open to actual evidence.
    Where is the ‘actual evidence’ of a natural non-lab origin for this novel bat coronavirus? How did it get from a cave in Yunnan to the centre of Wuhan, 1000 miles away? How did it make that geographical and zoological leap from the cave?

A Yunnanese cave which was, of course, being visited by teams of scientists collecting dozens of novel bat coronaviruses, scientists who then took their samples back to their globally unique lab. 1000 miles away. In the centre of Wuhan
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    Leon said:

Mad Theory Alert

The other counter-argument is if the knew the virus and had good vaccines, why did they sell frankly fairly mediocre ones to everyone else? To allay suspicion?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    HYUFD said:

For example Boris beat Corbyn by a vast 47% margin amongst over 65s in 2019 compared to the 24% margin Cameron beat Ed Miliband by in 2015 amongst retirees

The comparison is quite useful in itself.

But I think it will help perpetuate this idea that over time, demographics favour Labour as older Tory voters die and younger Labour voters turn 18.

Of course if that had been the case, Labour would have had a majority from at the very latest 1992.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

I would say that the British Electoral Stdy has a much bigger sample and is a better guide than the Ipsos survey
  • Options
    Selebian said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

I think the key point is that the lab leak hypothesis is most dramatic and exciting.
    Leon has a journalist’s soul, which means drama and excitement (and, preferably, outrage where possible) are key heuristics.
    You can’t blame journalists. Their job is grabbing attention from a busy populace, and that’s what works. Highlighting the unrepresentative and unusual, often in fields where they have little background (because they don’t really have the time for expertise).

Sometimes they’re even right. Although these are not the metrics to be used to best judge what is and is not right, sheer chance will occasionally cause a bullseye.

Not remotely convinced at the moment, but I’m open to actual evidence.
    Yep - and it's human nature to want both someone to blame and a simple solution (close the labs!) when it might in fact just be a case of shit happens. Many would find the lab theory most acceptable - we know who to blame and we can do something about it. Second best is pinning it down to a wet market (we know broadly who to blame and we can at least shout at China about doing something about that). Worst is that a bat happened to shit in someones sandwich somewhere. Not much we can do about that (Martin Cruz Smith's Nightwing comes to mind)
    Look at the circumstantial evidence. Jeez
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779

I don't watch Sky so I don't know about their output. The idea that the BBC's news output is leftwing is laughable, with smug Tory Nick Robinson, government spokesperson Laura Kuensberg etc. I can't listen to it. I have Magic on in the car to keep my blood pressure down.
    BBC is not left wing, but it is achingly metropolitan elite, woke etc and out of touch with a lot of country. The nadir for me is Countryfile, which is a programme made by Townies, for Townies about days out in the country for Townies. It has no relation to its predecessor, The Farming Programme? My sister, who worked on farms for years, just laughs at it.
    Townyfile is OK, and still has some quite nice articles on it. The person that makes my rural blood boil is that tw*t Chris Packham on "Nature Watch"
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046

Leon said:

A thought experiment:

How would people react differently to the lab leak theory if the lab had been in the USA or Britain or Israel.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,248
    Selebian said:

Gay people are cleverer, more advanced than straights. According to this BBC report, gays had photography in the 18th Century (see the picture captions).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57176199

Am I the only one with a sufficiently puerile sense of humour to note that one of the academics mentioned in the article is a Professor Cocks?
    Yes, and it is a good job you pronounce Harry properly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

O/T but linked to our long discussion on HS2 and the implications for Chesham and Amersham the other night:

At least one party is going big on campaigning against HS2 in this by-election. The Greens are talking muchly about the ecological damage:

https://paulbigland.blog/2021/06/02/the-theatre-of-the-absurd-the-green-party-and-the-amersham-by-election/

(The link is to a journalist/blogger who is a longstanding and outspoken supporter of HS2, so be aware he is incredibly critical of the Green stance on this - but you could probably deduce that from the link!)

Would the Greens rather we all used cars, rather than trains?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    DavidL said:

When I first heard of this idea I had some considerable difficultly in reconciling it with democracy but there is no doubt that our policy mix has been heavily influenced by the increasing number of the elderly and their propensity to vote. The triple lock is perhaps the most egregious example but there are many others. The motion tends to win amongst school kids!

Sure those over 75 would tend to say that children should not be allowed to vote for exact opposite reasons though. At your son's age 40 is ancient and they have no clue whatsoever about the world or how it works.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Floater said:

What BBC stranglehold on news? What about news agencies (like Reuters), newspapers and other broadcasters? Will GB News even be a newsgathering operation or will it just be reading out agency reports?
    I think it will be pretty selective, gathering nuggets of news against which its putative viewers can 'react', plus plenty of self reinforcing praise.
    AF Neil's twitter account writ large in other words.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    moonshine said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Zog is a dragon not a planet
    No, Zog was King of Albania!
This discussion has been closed.