Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The big dividing line in British politics – retirees who gave Johnson his majority – politicalbettin

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302

DavidL said:

Joe is not his normal busy self. It's as if the weight of carrying this batting line up is almost too much for him. He always looks more effective when taking the quick singles and rotating the strike.

I'm not familiar with Bracey and Robinson. Are we "batting deep"?
    I think that the consensus is not but to be honest I had not heard of Bracey before he was picked.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    BigRich said:

New: Grant Shapps tells Sky News one of the reasons Portugal has been taken off the green list is because of the so-called Nepal variant of the so-called Indian variant

But the WHO says no Nepal variant exists...?

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1400476606477516801

What should the Nepal variant be know as? it seems its a subvariant of the Indian variant (Delta) so should it be Delta-Alpha or do we go on to Gamma?
    Afternoon all. How about Epsilon; fit's with Everest, too.

This has probably been discussed upthread but I'm by no means convinced of Sibley's benefit to the England & Wales cricket team.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Appalling decision on Portugal.

And now some nonsense scaremongering about a Nepal variant. I did say there would be a Nauru one so I wasn't far out.

It's pathetic.

My goodwill towards this Government, and my vote, is rapidly evaporating.

If it's a forced choice between lifting all domestic restrictions, no ifs, no buts on 21 June, or keeping Portugal on the green list, then screw the green list.

Sorting out domestic restrictions is immoveable. After that can lift foreign ones as nations catch up with us on vaccinations.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Covid will soon have more Greek letter than a campus full of frat houses.

They should have used the french system.

Covid will soon have more French letters than a campus full of frat houses
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,303
    edited June 2021

And now some nonsense scaremongering about a Nepal variant. I did say there would be a Nauru one so I wasn't far out.

It's pathetic.

If it's a forced choice between lifting all domestic restrictions, no ifs, no buts on 21 June, or keeping Portugal on the green list, then screw the green list.

Sorting out domestic restrictions is immoveable. After that can lift foreign ones as nations catch up with us on vaccinations.
    I agree the domestic restrictions need to go on June 21st. But if people are vaccinated and go on holiday then there is a very small chance that they will a) catch and import; and b) then spread the virus.

That was the whole effing point of the vaccines.

And if we say "oh well we must just make sure the vaccine deals with XXX variant" then we become like Aus/NZ.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Jameison makes the rest of the players look like lillyputians.
  • Options
    In today's publication of the PHE technical briefing 14 on covid variants, https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/991268/Variants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing_14.pdf, there is no mention of a variant from Nepal.

However, it does suggest that Delta (B.1.617.2) may have an increased risk of hospitalisation compared with Alpha (B.1.1.7), but further data is needed. This might a focus of next weeks technical briefing.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

The BBC reports Grant Shapps as saying “we need to check that UK vaccines work against all kinds of mutations”. On that basis, EasyJet etc. might as well call in the receivers now.

Dunno, one way of checking that UK vaccines work againt all kinds of mutations is putting every country on the green list and Rishi launching a "vacation to test vaccination" scheme where you get 50% off your holiday :wink:
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    BigRich said:
    Why do Labour get so much from Public Funds?
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 408
    Selebian said:

The BBC reports Grant Shapps as saying “we need to check that UK vaccines work against all kinds of mutations”. On that basis, EasyJet etc. might as well call in the receivers now.

Dunno, one way of checking that UK vaccines work againt all kinds of mutations is putting every country on the green list and Rishi launching a "vacation to test vaccination" scheme where you get 50% off your holiday :wink:
    I’m in...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It's pathetic.

I agree the domestic restrictions need to go on June 21st. But if people are vaccinated and go on holiday then there is a very small chance that they will a) catch and import; and b) then spread the virus.

And if we say "oh well we must just make sure the vaccine deals with XXX variant" then we become like Aus/NZ.
    Might not be a bad idea, TBH.

Unless we're going to ensure we test and trace all returners.
  • Options

BigRich said:
    Is a Union donation considered public funds?

Either that or it has been agreed that it is in the public interest to have some kind of opposition and without public funds the Labour Party would cease to exist?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992

One of things I think people really don't get is just how large the virus is relative to the size of a mutation.

Imagine Canary Wharf. There are a dozen skyscrapers there.

Now imagine that one window in one of those skyscrapers is painted black.

Can you still recognise it is Canary Wharf?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

They should have used ‘watch with mother’ characters.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It's pathetic.

Might not be a bad idea, TBH.

Unless we're going to ensure we test and trace all returners.
    Aus/NZ are in all kinds of problems now. They are in a giant prison and will stay there until vaccines. And what then? Wait for the world to be vaccinated?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435

BigRich said:
    Because they are the principal opposition and so they get more Short Money.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01663/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    UK govt said some nations that are transit hubs will remain on “red list” (travel ban) “indefinitely” — despite high vaccination rates.

Middle East nations are angry, they told UK they can operate direct flights with no transit pax, just fully-vaccinated residents

UK declined.

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1400479826201530373?s=20
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Did you hear about the bloke who didn't know the difference between a French letter and an Irish one?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,233
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Joe is not his normal busy self. It's as if the weight of carrying this batting line up is almost too much for him. He always looks more effective when taking the quick singles and rotating the strike.

I think that the consensus is not but to be honest I had not heard of Bracey before he was picked.
    Bracey's first class record as a batsman is better than that of Buttler, and he has been averaging around 45 over the last three first class seasons (which is more than Bairstow).
  • Options
    R4 not having much luck finding p*ssed off vox-pops "I knew the risks before I went, understand the decision and don't blame anyone."
  • Options

UK govt said some nations that are transit hubs will remain on “red list” (travel ban) “indefinitely” — despite high vaccination rates.

Middle East nations are angry, they told UK they can operate direct flights with no transit pax, just fully-vaccinated residents

UK declined.

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1400479826201530373?s=20

Utterly ridiculous.

I'm tired of this nonsense.

I may travel to an amber and ignore testing.
  • Options

BigRich said:

Todays 'daily 4pm update' seems to be late?

Some poor sod at PHE is probably stuck looking.at the spinning wheel of death after trying to open Excel.....
    On her phone.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

R4 not having much luck finding p*ssed off vox-pops "I knew the risks before I went, understand the decision and don't blame anyone."

Don't worry they will find some terrible edge case, where they have disabled son who they don't live with, but whose other parents can't cope looking after them 7 days a week and the kid freaks out with any disruption to normal plan and now they won't be able to look after them as they will be isolating....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Comment from TUI MD:

This latest announcement is another step back for our industry.

After promises that the Global Travel Taskforce would result in a clear framework, removing the damaging flip-flopping we all endured last summer, the Government decision to move Portugal straight from green to amber will do untold damage to customer confidence.

We were reassured that a green watch list would be created and a week’s notice would be given so travellers wouldn’t have to rush back home. They have failed on this promise.

Unlike other European countries and despite multiple requests, the Government has refused to be transparent about the data requirements for green, amber and red destinations.

We must see the methodology so we can help our customers and plan our operations accordingly. There are destinations around the world with little or no Covid-19 cases and good vaccination rates, so we need to understand why these remain on the amber list.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Remember the first reaction of "batwoman" Shi Zhengli, when she heard of this new respiratory coronavirus

OMG, it might have come from my lab

THIS

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Remarkable Newsweek article, telling the story of how a bunch of online amateur Sherlocks sleuthed the lab leak hypothesis, and made it mainstream

Simultaneously dispiriting and encouraging. Dispiriting because of the terrible lies and evasions from China, and the duplicitous omerta from western scientists, encouraging because it shows that concerned citizens around the world can make a massive difference, just with a phone, a laptop and the Net

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-how-amateur-sleuths-broke-wuhan-lab-story-embarrassed-media-1596958

It is also highly persuasive, if you need to be persuaded that it came from the lab

You seem to have decided well in advance of any evidence!

Maybe your alien chums brought it with them from Zog, on one of their survelling outings?
    I think the key point is that the lab leak hypothesis is most dramatic and exciting.
    Leon has a journalist’s soul, which means drama and excitement (and, preferably, outrage where possible) are key heuristics.
    You can’t blame journalists. Their job is grabbing attention from a busy populace, and that’s what works. Highlighting the unrepresentative and unusual, often in fields where they have little background (because they don’t really have the time for expertise).

Sometimes they’re even right. Although these are not the metrics to be used to best judge what is and is not right, sheer chance will occasionally cause a bullseye.

Not remotely convinced at the moment, but I’m open to actual evidence.
    Where is the ‘actual evidence’ of a natural non-lab origin for this novel bat coronavirus? How did it get from a cave in Yunnan to the centre of Wuhan, 1000 miles away? How did it make that geographical and zoological leap from the cave?

A Yunnanese cave which was, of course, being visited by teams of scientists collecting dozens of novel bat coronaviruses, scientists who then took their samples back to their globally unique lab. 1000 miles away. In the centre of Wuhan
    The problem is that pretty much everyone who I've seen pushing this theory has appeared to be a seeker-after-dramatic-story rather than an obRNA that would make the mRNA vaccines we've since developed in the West look like sixth-form projects against whatever China would have been able to roll out at far shorter timescales and more effectively (and gain the plaudits for saving the world). Not only haven't they done so, there are no hints that they have the technology to do so.

(1/2)
    Because, though, that all makes for a really great story, it's all glossed over. Either ignored, or diminished, or insulted. While any anecdotal or circumstantial evidence in favour of the story is cherry-picked and highlighted and emphasised. (Stuff like the zoonotic origin being described as only supported by 'precedent' with the word precedent in scare quotes - when by that it is meant that it's only supported by the fact that literally every previous virus to make the jump, all the millions since the dawn of time, did it just that way and no virus has ever done it before in the way that the story requires).

It does make one take these earnest and breathless links with an entire chip-shop-worth of salt. Which can be a shame if there's something in it.

Personally, I could easily accept "they were studying bat coronaviruses because they were worried about another SARS or MERS and had an accident." It would need genuine evidence to back it up (a God of the Gaps argument that we can't trace it all the way back to Bartok the Bat in Cave 16 in Yunnan province and what he did doesn't cut the mustard, because it's far more common to be unable to trace a zoonotic jump all the way back than otherwise. But this doesn't mean that there was a secret virus lab in the 1800s run by a Victorian Dr Moreau that designed the most recent of the four cold coronaviruses, either).
    However, this always gets swept into a "they were designing it and it was a mad scientist experiment run amuck!" theme as well, which runs into multiple implausibilities that have been highlighted.

It's an Achilles heel of storylovers - to push the more dramatic ones too far.
    (2/2)
    And yet you completely miss the most obvious evidence of all. Which is all around you, the circumstantial stuff

"literally every previous virus to make the jump, all the millions since the dawn of time, did it just that way and no virus has ever done it before in the way that the story requires)."

So basically it's almost impossible. It can never happen! This is the entirety of YOUR evidence (I wait for any more)

And yet, here is the reaction of the director of the Wuhan lab, when she first heard about this weird new respiratory coronavirus disease, at a conference in Shanghai

""Drop whatever you are doing and deal with it now,” she recalls the director saying.

"Shi, a virologist who is often called China’s “bat woman” by her colleagues because of her virus-hunting expeditions in bat caves over the past 16 years, walked out of the conference she was attending in Shanghai and hopped on the next train back to Wuhan. “I wondered if [the municipal health authority] got it wrong,” she says. “I had never expected this kind of thing to happen in Wuhan, in central China.” Her studies had shown that the southern, subtropical provinces of Guangdong, Guangxi and Yunnan have the greatest risk of coronaviruses jumping to humans from animals—particularly bats, a known reservoir. If coronaviruses were the culprit, she remembers thinking, “Could they have come from our lab?”"

COULD THEY HAVE COME FROM OUR LAB

That was her first, urgent reaction. A leak from the lab. She rushed back to Wuhan to check....
    And concluded NO.

...Meanwhile she frantically went through her own lab’s records from the past few years to check for any mishandling of experimental materials, especially during disposal. Shi breathed a sigh of relief when the results came back: none of the sequences matched those of the viruses her team had sampled from bat caves. “That really took a load off my mind,” she says. “I had not slept a wink for days.”...

I note you omitted the other bit of the article which very clearly demonstrates the occurrence of bat-human transfer of coronaviruses in the wild.

...In October 2015 Shi’s team collected blood samples from more than 200 residents in four of those villages. It found that six people, or nearly 3 percent, carried antibodies against SARS-like coronaviruses from bats—even though none of them had handled wildlife or reported SARS-like or other pneumonia like symptoms….
    …Three years earlier Shi’s team had been called in to investigate the virus profile of a mine shaft in Yunnan’s mountainous Mojiang County—famous for its fermented Pu’er tea—where six miners suffered from pneumonialike diseases and two died. After sampling the cave for a year, the researchers discovered a diverse group of coronaviruses in six bat species. In many cases, multiple viral strains had infected a single animal, turning it into a flying factory for new viruses...

Thank you for the sensible and balanced response.

It is my experience, across the Internet, that there are people (who seem to be represented on this forum too) who are only too willing to believe the worst, will only cherry pick the evidence that suits their approach and then run with it as though only they were the holders and purveyors of the 'true truth'.

My instinct is that the belief in and acceptance of the various conspiracy fantasies on this subject require too much work for them to have taken place. The path of evolution and the path of contemporary events is normally along the line of least resistance and least effort. Viruses mutate and become more widespread because they become easier to contract. Of the type that the Coronavirus is, being single strand RNA, they are also prone to error during their replication phase. Some errors cause the newly replicated virus to become useless, therefore that mutation dies out, some make it less dangerous and some make it more easy to transmit. Given how many billions of billions of viral particles there are out there, it's not in the least bit surprising or abnormal that, once they get to infect a human that they should then, by random chance, mutate into the perfect transmission machine. And, over time, mutate out of it again once we all have antibodies, of course.

This whole thing about finding someone to blame for these sorts of things is psychologically understandable - having something to point at and judge makes the afflicted (in all sorts of circumstances) feel better, but it does nothing whatsoever to change the situation that the afflicted are in.

Are we blaming the people of Kent for for the 'Alpha Variant'? Shall we carpet-bomb Kent as an act of revenge? Cut them off from the rest of society? Forever ostracise the leaders of Kent County Council for having the misfortune to be in roughly the part of the world where someone unknown caught Covid, replicated the virus and in doing so, it mutated into a better virus - i.e. the gain of function caused by random chance?

To do that would be ridiculous. And that ridiculousness goes all the way back through the chain of transmission to China where, all the relevant evidence shows that Coronaviruses transmit to humans naturally and this one almost certainly did that exactly the same way as all the others - like SARS (from Civet Cats) and MERS (from camels in the Middle East) before it.

Not everything is a conspiracy or a cover up. It might be a calamity, but its cause almost certainly isn't deliberate. And, to go back to my original point, it makes no difference to you or me now anyway.
    The Chinese deliberately spread Covid around the world by allowing - even encouraging - flights in and out of the country, even as they shut down their own country domestically, to contain the pandemic

You want us to just forget that, because "it makes no difference now anyway"
    Honestly, why do you need to obsess about it? Even if the bug did escape a lab by accident (and elsewhere in this forum is presented evidence that it didn't), what difference does it make to you, personally, now?

What do you gain by your hypothesis being true*? What about the public health situation is going to change?

The people who matter are the ones doing the investigation, and those who need to know will do so. You and I just need to keep socially distancing, get our vaccinations and do our best to help stop a disease from spreading. Endlessly trying to find some nefarious actor to blame for its source isn't going to help anyone.

Actually I can think of one thing that is 'gained'. It's the encouragement of the growth of distrust in science, the distrust of modes of logical thought that help humanity, and the encouragement of the fracturing of civil society. Now which state actors in the world can we recall who have an interest in sowing distrust and chaos in the societies in which people live? Your name isn't Leonid, by any chance is it? ;)
    I think you might have just named Leon's next incarnation for him
    Don’t put the Leonid on it, conspiracies are much more fun than the truth.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    21m
    The worst thing that could happen to Labour is winning in B&S. If they hold on, the narrative will be “Things aren’t that bad. No need to panic. Keir is doing better than people think. Just carry on edging forward”.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

BigRich said:

Some poor sod at PHE is probably stuck looking.at the spinning wheel of death after trying to open Excel.....
    On her phone.
    I'm not blaming the people who process the data, they do a good job and it must be stressful, its often 10-15 mints after 1600. but I don't remember it being 1h 20m after the normal 4PM

When do we start the conspiracy theory's?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,817

ydoethur said:

No good deed goes unpunished:

Another government insider said that it was a rise in variants that prompted ministers to decide to take it off the green list. “They’re victim of their own pretty decent genomic capabilities. They’ve picked up increases in both the Indian and Nepalese variants so there was little choice.”

The decision to take Portugal off the green list was also influenced by the Johnson government’s eagerness to lift all lockdown restrictions on June 21. “There’s no way we can meet the step four easing if we’re importing more variants of concern,” an official said.

https://www.ft.com/content/be70d339-37c7-46c9-98e8-4f8878c7392f

Tangentially, does anyone know what will happen if we have more than 25 or more variants?

I mean the Greek Alphabet ends at Ω.
    Move to the Russian alphabet?
    It doesn't really have letter names... A, Be, Ve, Ge, De... The Hebrew one does though, and I think the Arabic.
    Reminds me of a lecturer at Uni, who, according to undergraduate rumour, once had so many variables he needed to resort to Gothic runes.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

gealbhan said:

BigRich said:

On her phone.
    I'm not blaming the people who process the data, they do a good job and it must be stressful, its often 10-15 mints after 1600. but I don't remember it being 1h 20m after the normal 4PM

There have been plenty of occasions when it has been really late. They do normally put out a tweet though saying technical issues.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Roger said:

Did you hear about the bloke who didn't know the difference between a French letter and an Irish one?
    Go on then, I’m waiting for some rice to boil
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

gealbhan said:

BigRich said:

On her phone.

I wasn’t either, that’s the IT they are using whilst WFH
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,255
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bracey has 479 runs at 47.9 in the County Championship this season at number 3 for Gloucestershire. Before Foakes tore his hamstring there was some merited speculation as to whether he would take a place in the top three. So I have no particular concern about him batting at seven.

Robinson at 8 and Wood at 9 are both a place too high in the order, really.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,233

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bracey has 479 runs at 47.9 in the County Championship this season at number 3 for Gloucestershire. Before Foakes tore his hamstring there was some merited speculation as to whether he would take a place in the top three. So I have no particular concern about him batting at seven.

If Bracey scores runs and Sibley fails in the second innings that might well be a change for the next match, of course.

Crawley and Bracey with Lawrence at three would potentially be an interesting combination for the Ashes.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    "early data from both England and Scotland suggest an increased risk of
    hospitalisation with Delta compared to Alpha;"

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435

NEW THREAD

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Have we gone back to a policy of picking a wicketkeeper who can bat, as opposed to a batsman who can keep.

That's what kept James Foster out of the side for years, although, to be fair, arguing with Duncan Fletcher was, to say the least, ill-advised.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

One of things I think people really don't get is just how large the virus is relative to the size of a mutation.

Imagine Canary Wharf. There are a dozen skyscrapers there.

Now imagine that one window in one of those skyscrapers is painted black.

Can you still recognise it is Canary Wharf?
    The black window being the Canary Wharf in the coal mine?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,255

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Have we gone back to a policy of picking a wicketkeeper who can bat, as opposed to a batsman who can keep.

That's what kept James Foster out of the side for years, although, to be fair, arguing with Duncan Fletcher was, to say the least, ill-advised.
    I think Buttler is still considered the England wicketkeeper, but he's resting post-IPL. So I would say, no, we're still picking our favourite bat who can keep wicket well enough to get by.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2021

It's pathetic.

Ah, so you are a zero covider now?
  • Options
    Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health: "Children's wards are not seeing a rise in cases with Covid. Parents shouldn't worry."

Statement comes after Scotland's Health Secretary @HumzaYousaf said that 10 children aged 0-9 were in hospital last week "because of Covid"

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1400471932508770306?s=20
  • Options
    Just been looking at the gov COVID dashboard.

Most of the rise over the last 2 weeks has come in Scotland,

Could we, and by that I mean should we, get ever adult in Scotland a first jab, ASAP

By my back of an envelope calculations Scotland needs another 700,000 jabs to get to 90% of adults, they are doing 20,000 a day at the moment, so if we diverted another 80,000 a day for a week we would be there. :)

Apart form demonstrating the value of the Union to Scotland, this would presumably be the best way to reduce cases overall, therefore shut up the ZEROCOVID extremists, and let us all see what happens to the R number with 90% vaccinated.

I don't know how long this would take to divert, as many appointments are booked days in advance, or weather Scotland has enough people to do that many jabs, but I think we should try.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited June 2021
    Snip, old thread.
This discussion has been closed.