Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not making the promised June 21 lockdown end is going to be controversial – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,201
    What Does 'Zero COVID' Really Mean?
    — Don't conflate elimination with eradication, proponents urge

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/92332
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

I am standing up (seemingly alone) for the right of Muslims (or anyone) to protest the shocking state of affairs in Palestine.

They should be protesting just not peacefully as that is completely pointless.
    Exactly.

People seem to think protest is should operate along the same lines as a WI jam-making competition.

I’m afraid I take the French attitude in these matters.
    La terreur, sans laquelle la vertu est impuissante.
    Not *that* French.
    I’m afraid I’m more Girondin than Jacobin.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I wonder how many single doses of Johnson & Johnson we have and how soon it can be rolled out?

Given we're already at 1% of population per day, surging from here would be great news.

The real impact would be in allowing a major (proportional speaking) increase in first (and last!) vaccinations. We are running something like 150K average first vaccinations at the moment. So even 50K per day of J&J would be a noticeable change.
    Will be available "later this year".

Doesn't sound promising. That's rather too late isn't it?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    "Later this year":

A single-dose Covid vaccine made by Janssen has been approved for use in the UK by the medicines regulator.

The vaccine, which was 85% effective in stopping severe illness from Covid-19 in trials, has met expected safety standards.

Twenty million doses have been ordered for the UK and will arrive later this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57283837
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Regarding the Luton march. Am I alone in wondering why the fuck people are protesting in this country about the relations between two other countries?

No you won't be alone. There are a number of other ultra-parochials on here.
    Nothing to do with parochialism.

When was the last "Free Kurdistan" protest? Despite the atrocities in Kurdistan being much worse than that in Palestine?

I suppose Turks aren't Jews so who gives a shit about Kurds, eh?
    Not you.
    A search reveals zero results for Kurds and @Philip_Thompson.
  • Options
    ONS survey confirming the virus increasing much faster in Scotland.

Any idea why?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

And - I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Yes. Am I supposed to be upset that people wish to protest?
    I think that is a Star of David with LUS inside it (Luton Something Synagogue?) and the message is that the area will be unsafe for Jews.
    Yep, saw that.
    Does that mean the Muslim Council should abandon their protest?
    No, just that the police shouldn't be telling people with certain characteristics to avoid areas due to potential racists.

Imagine the police advising Asians or whoever to avoid an area with an EDL demo or something.
    Strictly speaking, the police are not advising, they are informing. It is the Council who are advising in this instance.
    Distinction without a difference. Why should the police inform any specific people about a particular demo?
    Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

People reading more into this have some weird political point they want to make, which can basically be reduced to “Muslims are bad and the police are letting them”.
    It was barely a couple of weeks ago that we had people protesting for Palestine threatening violence and rape on the streets of London in areas where Jewish people lived.

Sure - we can have peaceful demos if the possible targets hide away at home. Just as women would be much less likely to be attacked if they stayed at home and never went out. Surprised you think that's the sort of society we should have.

I'd prefer one where people can protest peacefully and anyone can go and watch or walk about any part of their home town without being told to stay away because they might be the target of abuse or attack.

But each to their own, eh!
    Yes, and those nutters were dealt with by the police.

I’m surprised at you; you seem to be resiling your own beliefs in the right to protest.

Edit; the stuff about women is also totally beneath you.
    You must have missed the bit where I said clearly and unambiguously that people were free to protest.

And no the bit about women matters because it is exactly the same mindset - that it is the victims who should take action not the assailants. The threats on the streets of London were of rape against women. It largely seems to have been overlooked.

I am standing up (seemingly alone) for the right of Muslims (or anyone) to protest the shocking state of affairs in Palestine.

The fact that it makes the Luton United Synagogue wary may be regrettable, but unless someone can tell me that a Muslim or pro-Palestine protest is a priori anti-Semitic and likely violent, I will defend their democratic right to hold it.
    By no means alone. It's true that the campaign of the Israeli Ambassador Mark Regev to make the linkage between Israel and British Jews so solid that criticism of Israel and anti semitism is one and the same thing and many supporters of Palestinian rights have been cowed as a result.

Fortunately there's still a large body of British Jews who are still prepared to speak freely knowing charges of anti-semitism don't wash. The Jews have a proud history of supporting oppressed people, South Africa being a good example. You can be sure the campaign for Palestinian rights in Luton will have a reasonable number of Jewish supporters.
    UK Jews don’t have a long history in UK of speaking out in the UK because for a very long time they were not allowed to openly exist here. If they were open, they had to surrender everything to the government, and then convert to an approved religion or bugger off.

The UK is institutionalised anti-semitic. It’s ingrained in its history, its culture, the psyche of all the British people.

Hence when the British comment on Israel-Palestine, the opinion of the British people is bent.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Regarding the Luton march. Am I alone in wondering why the fuck people are protesting in this country about the relations between two other countries?

When was the last "Free Kurdistan" protest? Despite the atrocities in Kurdistan being much worse than that in Palestine?

Not you.
    Well precisely, I'm not going on Free Palestine protests either, so no hypocrisy.

On the other hand the people concerned about the Jews, the whole Jews and nothing but the Jews - there's something a bit off there don't you think?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I don’t consider myself parochial at all. Indeed, in a previous employment I worked across the world. Sometimes mediating in international troublespots. I have lived in several other countries. Nothing about me is parochial.

I simply do not see why (presumably) U.K. citizens feel the need to bring foreign wars (for this is a war) to our country.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    kinabalu said:

Now who was it that said: "a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing". Hmmm!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,356
    edited May 2021

The Cummings effect.....or not....

Our latest Westminster voting intention:

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

Fieldwork 27th-28th May (changes vs 28th-29th April)
    n=1,001

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/1398239333124128770?s=20

Interesting and no doubt this weekends polls may prove more clarity on whether Cummings cut through
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,888

I am not surprised. I also wouldnt be surprised if come August the Germans have much the same percentage of teh population vaccinated as we do. This will make all the nationalistic braggadocio look like, well, nationalistic braggadocio!
    The most important thing with vaccinations are the first and last 20% of the population. First 20% near enough stops deaths, last 20% is the most important for reducing potential for future outbreaks.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

n=1,001

Interesting and no doubt this weekends polls may prove more clarity on whether Cummings cut through
    Judging by the vox pox in the Guardian today from Spen, Cummings is so disliked and derided that no one is prepared to listen to a word he says.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Not you.
    Well precisely, I'm not going on Free Palestine protests either, so no hypocrisy.

On the other hand the people concerned about the Jews, the whole Jews and nothing but the Jews - there's something a bit off there don't you think?
    Sure, but it’s a straw man.

Who is talking about “the Jews etc” except Ken Livingstone, Rod Crosby, and mad Islamists?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611

I wonder how many single doses of Johnson & Johnson we have and how soon it can be rolled out?

Given we're already at 1% of population per day, surging from here would be great news.

J&J will become the vaccine they give to initial refusers that they fear won't come back for a second dose.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119

Interesting comment piece on the Swiss/EU bust up. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/05/28/looming-threat-switzerlands-brexit-moment-risks-calamity-brussels/

I wonder whether the Swiss are looking at the UK's Brexit deal thinking "When Harry Met Sally" style "I'll have what she's having".

Although the Swiss are quasi-Single Market members only, Chexit next?

The FT piece is wrong.

The Swiss thing is a long standing issue of the Swiss style extremely localised democracy vs integration into a set of fixed laws. Quite simply, unless you removed a fair few chunks of the Swiss constitution, you can't have legally mandated alignment with the EU.
    Indeed though the Swiss and the EU spent years negotiating on that despite the issues, rather than ruling it out immediately.
    Everything for you is seen through your obsessional irrational hatred of the EU. You have absolutely no understanding of continental politics, much like everything else you pronounce on from the standpoint of ignorance, for that matter.

Continental politics has essential evolved in the direction of compromise. In order to facilitate that compromise you take positions that appear intransigent that are then eventually and inevitably compromised on, or fudged if you prefer the more pejorative term. It will happen with Switzerland, and they will maintain their half in half out position.
    "You take positions that appear intransigent that are then eventually and inevitably compromised on"

So you approve of Boris Johnson's continental approach to negotiations?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295

"Later this year":

A single-dose Covid vaccine made by Janssen has been approved for use in the UK by the medicines regulator.

The vaccine, which was 85% effective in stopping severe illness from Covid-19 in trials, has met expected safety standards.

Twenty million doses have been ordered for the UK and will arrive later this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57283837

Do we need it? Seems unlikely given where we are.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

I think that is a Star of David with LUS inside it (Luton Something Synagogue?) and the message is that the area will be unsafe for Jews.
    Yep, saw that.
    No, just that the police shouldn't be telling people with certain characteristics to avoid areas due to potential racists.

Imagine the police advising Asians or whoever to avoid an area with an EDL demo or something.
    Strictly speaking, the police are not advising, they are informing. It is the Council who are advising in this instance.
    Distinction without a difference. Why should the police inform any specific people about a particular demo?
    Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

People reading more into this have some weird political point they want to make, which can basically be reduced to “Muslims are bad and the police are letting them”.
    It was barely a couple of weeks ago that we had people protesting for Palestine threatening violence and rape on the streets of London in areas where Jewish people lived.

Sure - we can have peaceful demos if the possible targets hide away at home. Just as women would be much less likely to be attacked if they stayed at home and never went out. Surprised you think that's the sort of society we should have.

I'd prefer one where people can protest peacefully and anyone can go and watch or walk about any part of their home town without being told to stay away because they might be the target of abuse or attack.

I’m surprised at you; you seem to be resiling your own beliefs in the right to protest.

You must have missed the bit where I said clearly and unambiguously that people were free to protest.

And no the bit about women matters because it is exactly the same mindset - that it is the victims who should take action not the assailants. The threats on the streets of London were of rape against women. It largely seems to have been overlooked.

The fact that it makes the Luton United Synagogue wary may be regrettable, but unless someone can tell me that a Muslim or pro-Palestine protest is a priori anti-Semitic and likely violent, I will defend their democratic right to hold it.
    By no means alone. It's true that the campaign of the Israeli Ambassador Mark Regev to make the linkage between Israel and British Jews so solid that criticism of Israel and anti semitism is one and the same thing and many supporters of Palestinian rights have been cowed as a result.

Fortunately there's still a large body of British Jews who are still prepared to speak freely knowing charges of anti-semitism don't wash. The Jews have a proud history of supporting oppressed people, South Africa being a good example. You can be sure the campaign for Palestinian rights in Luton will have a reasonable number of Jewish supporters.
    UK Jews don’t have a long history in UK of speaking out in the UK because for a very long time they were not allowed to openly exist here. If they were open, they had to surrender everything to the government, and then convert to an approved religion or bugger off.

The UK is institutionalised anti-semitic. It’s ingrained in its history, its culture, the psyche of all the British people.

Hence when the British comment on Israel-Palestine, the opinion of the British people is bent.
    Presumably attitudes are more enlightened in Zennor.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

n=1,001

Greens double figures if SKS stays i reckon
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

J&J will become the vaccine they give to initial refusers that they fear won't come back for a second dose.
    You've got your finger on the pulse, will that be any time soon?

Sky saying "later this year" but later this year is surely too late? If we're supposed to be vaccinating everyone by end July - and as many as possible by 21 June - then how later is it going to be but still be useful?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited May 2021
    What we need to know is how many "non UK-nationals" were legally resident:

More than 1.5 million people flew into the UK between January and April while the UK's borders were supposed to be heavily restricted, new figures reveal.

Home Office data shows that about two-thirds of arrivals in 2021 were non-UK nationals.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-1-5m-people-flew-to-uk-in-first-four-months-of-2021-when-borders-were-meant-to-be-heavily-restricted-12318777
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,304

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

A few points:
    1. Any group has the absolute right to peaceful protest
    2. Any group that "evolves" that peaceful protest into hate speeches saying rape the Jews should be locked up
    3. It is anti-semitic to demand British Jews justify the actions of the Israeli government. You didn't quite step over that line but at least toed it.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,366

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

n=1,001

Are there any follow ups as to whether those polled have any idea who Cummings is/was and if they blame Boris?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,356

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

n=1,001

Judging by the vox pox in the Guardian today from Spen, Cummings is so disliked and derided that no one is prepared to listen to a word he says.
    Maybe the Salmond effect seen in Scotland
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,027

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

They should be protesting just not peacefully as that is completely pointless.
    Exactly.

People seem to think protest is should operate along the same lines as a WI jam-making competition.

I’m afraid I take the French attitude in these matters.
    La terreur, sans laquelle la vertu est impuissante.
    Not *that* French.
    I’m afraid I’m more Girondin than Jacobin.
    As Thomas Jefferson said, 'Every man has two nations. His own and France."
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

Interesting comment piece on the Swiss/EU bust up. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/05/28/looming-threat-switzerlands-brexit-moment-risks-calamity-brussels/

I wonder whether the Swiss are looking at the UK's Brexit deal thinking "When Harry Met Sally" style "I'll have what she's having".

The FT piece is wrong.

The Swiss thing is a long standing issue of the Swiss style extremely localised democracy vs integration into a set of fixed laws. Quite simply, unless you removed a fair few chunks of the Swiss constitution, you can't have legally mandated alignment with the EU.
    Indeed though the Swiss and the EU spent years negotiating on that despite the issues, rather than ruling it out immediately.
    Everything for you is seen through your obsessional irrational hatred of the EU. You have absolutely no understanding of continental politics, much like everything else you pronounce on from the standpoint of ignorance, for that matter.

Continental politics has essential evolved in the direction of compromise. In order to facilitate that compromise you take positions that appear intransigent that are then eventually and inevitably compromised on, or fudged if you prefer the more pejorative term. It will happen with Switzerland, and they will maintain their half in half out position.
    Pathetic! I repeat. Get a Job!
  • Options

The FT piece is wrong.

"You take positions that appear intransigent that are then eventually and inevitably compromised on"

He isn't really following their approach, because most continentals don't have their positions scribbled on the back of a fag packet.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Now who was it that said: "a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing". Hmmm!
    So are you suggesting that we should intervene in a military capacity?

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1398168909270994944

Big story coming on Bellingcat this afternoon, expecting it about 2pm UK time.

Apparently not Russia related

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

The FT piece is wrong.

Two other long-standing issues on the other side:

1) the EU fetishises the Single Market because it's the only thing they've done that works
    2) the EU expects countries to roll over like the Norwegians always do, but cannot handle a people with character and guts.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The FT piece is wrong.

He isn't really following their approach, because most continentals don't have their positions scribbled on the back of a fag packet.
    Ursula waves
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

I am not surprised. I also wouldnt be surprised if come August the Germans have much the same percentage of teh population vaccinated as we do. This will make all the nationalistic braggadocio look like, well, nationalistic braggadocio!
    The most important thing with vaccinations are the first and last 20% of the population. First 20% near enough stops deaths, last 20% is the most important for reducing potential for future outbreaks.
    Perhaps, though I think you would find that 80% would be enough to significantly slow transmission. Not my point though!
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

Presumably attitudes are more enlightened in Zennor.
    At last you agree with me. Everyone’s opinion is bent, shaped by longstanding history, and manipulated by politics.

The opinions you post here today you may be opposed to this time next year, that is fact, isn’t it?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,366

No it won't. Germany is way behind on vaccinations and no amount of 1984 rewriting of history will alter the fact that we were more organised than Germany. Germany is unfortunate by being hamstrung by the EU .
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

A few points:
    2. Any group that "evolves" that peaceful protest into hate speeches saying rape the Jews should be locked up
    3. It is anti-semitic to demand British Jews justify the actions of the Israeli government. You didn't quite step over that line but at least toed it.
    This subject causes surprising passion, and alarming stupidity.

Do you believe the Muslim Council in Luton has evolved in the direction that you state in (2)?

As for (3) I am nowhere near the making that “demand”. It’s a smear for you to suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    tlg86 said:

Dr Deepti Gurdasani on BBC News saying we can’t unlock etc.

Presenter tells her that ONS are reporting that the level of COVID in England is staying the same.

The Dr says it’s concerning that the data isn’t reflecting what’s actually happening.

Seriously, why are these people allowed on TV?

Another member of (non) independent sage...

• Options

MaxPB said:

Sky saying "later this year" but later this year is surely too late? If we're supposed to be vaccinating everyone by end July - and as many as possible by 21 June - then how later is it going to be but still be useful?
    I've heard end of July, it's not going to arrive soon enough for unlockdown.

I really think it's going to be used to sweep up refuseniks that want to go overseas. It's a good vaccine for that as you get it done in one shot and you can do it four weeks before flying to get ~70% efficacy against symptomatic COVID.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,362

Good branding for an accident waiting to happen.

Random question - why does it need a windscreen?
    SO people can see where they are going. It can also help those affected avoid travel sickness. More randomly why does it have to be so ugly?
  • Options
    Floater said:

US related seemingly. Could be interesting.
  • Options

Because many of the protesters think British Jews are responsible. Because they are anti-semitic. I think the Israeli government is appalling - but they're hardly alone. It is very odd that so much fuss is made about Israel and so little about all of the other states butchering and oppressing.

"It definitely isn't anti-semitism" goes the defence, "its just that we only care about Palestine and even then only care about Israel's actions and not Egypt, Jordan or Syria".
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,313

kinabalu said:

Parochial means unconcerned with matters beyond your patch. Used impeccably by me here. Your 2nd point - if you protest one thing you have to protest everything else you're showing bias - is the old chestnut rolled out by people who just happen not to support the particular thing being protested.
  • Options

No it won't. Germany is way behind on vaccinations and no amount of 1984 rewriting of history will alter the fact that we were more organised than Germany. Germany is unfortunate by being hamstrung by the EU .
    I suspect it is more likely that Germany is unfortunate in being handcuffed to their own previous minister of defence who they imposed on the EU. A woman of whom it could rightfully be said has no beginning to her talents.
  • Options

The UK is already intervening in a military capacity. It buys a lot of Israeli military hardware, hosts joint exercises in the UK for the IASF and the Chief of the Air Staff has just got back from an extended tour of Israeli air bases.

Having said that, the UK does send them Land Rover Defenders which can only impair the mobility of the IDF.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I really think it's going to be used to sweep up refuseniks that want to go overseas. It's a good vaccine for that as you get it done in one shot and you can do it four weeks before flying to get ~70% efficacy against symptomatic COVID.
    Right so essentially its too late for the vaccine rollout since that's meant to be done by end of July, but will be good for any refuseniks that change their mind and decide to go for it afterall?
  • Options

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

n=1,001

I don't know what other people's views are, but the idea that something like Cumming's performance will radically change opinion overnight I think is fanciful. I expect there to be little change, particularly while people are still pleased about the vaccine programme and furlough.

The impact of Cummings is more likely to be the "unfit for office " label. This won't resonate with the public at large until Johnson is seen to make more cock-ups (which will inevitably come). I think it will also have an effect on those around Johnson. "Unfit for office" is a label he will find difficult to shake off, as it will be in the minds of not just his rivals but everyone who sees him do or say something stupid, and that is also likely to be on a regular basis.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

n=1,001

Chortle!
  • Options

Because many of the protesters think British Jews are responsible. Because they are anti-semitic. I think the Israeli government is appalling - but they're hardly alone. It is very odd that so much fuss is made about Israel and so little about all of the other states butchering and oppressing.

"It definitely isn't anti-semitism" goes the defence, "its just that we only care about Palestine and even then only care about Israel's actions and not Egypt, Jordan or Syria".
    Yep. Couldn’t argue with that.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

A few points:
    Should the the right to peaceful protest extend through rival communities and around their places of worship, in the faces of the locals?

I say no. No one is entitled to that type of peaceful protest.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Parochial means unconcerned with matters beyond your patch. Used impeccably by me here. Your 2nd point - if you protest one thing you have to protest everything else you're showing bias - is the old chestnut rolled out by people who just happen not to support the particular thing being protested.
    Well yes, I don't support protesting only against the only Jewish state in the world that is literally defending itself from people who think #HitlerWasRight and openly say they seek the destruction of the world's only Jewish State.

What possible non-antisemitic reason is there to protest that but not protest against the oppression of Kurds in Kurdistan, the Uighur in China and so on and so forth?
  • Options

Of course comrade, you keep taking the tablets. Don't forget to pick up your copy of the Daily Express today!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The UK is already intervening in a military capacity. It buys a lot of Israeli military hardware, hosts joint exercises in the UK for the IASF and the Chief of the Air Staff has just got back from an extended tour of Israeli air bases.

Having said that, the UK does send them Land Rover Defenders which can only impair the mobility of the IDF.
    Punchline of the day 😆
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

The real impact would be in allowing a major (proportional speaking) increase in first (and last!) vaccinations. We are running something like 150K average first vaccinations at the moment. So even 50K per day of J&J would be a noticeable change.
    Personally I'd choose any two dose vaccine. J & J has a role for the lazy/hesitant though.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Right so essentially its too late for the vaccine rollout since that's meant to be done by end of July, but will be good for any refuseniks that change their mind and decide to go for it afterall?
    Yes, that's my understanding of how the government wants to deploy it. Anyone who gets vaccinated in the next few weeks will get Pfizer/Moderna for under 40s or AZ for over 40s and then 4-8 weeks later they'll get their second dose.
  • Options

Bingo!

On this we can 100% agree with each other I hope.

Netanyahu is a twunt and I'd like to see him gone. But that doesn't justify seeking Israel's destruction and it doesn't justify this.
  • Options

I don’t get this criticism.
    Is it sinophobic to focus on Chinese abuse?

As far as I can tell, Israel enlivens passions because it is seen on the hard left through the prism of anti-imperialist critique.

In turn this can curdle into anti-semitism, a la Livingstone, although as @Roger explains it is very hard to separate legitimate criticism of Israel from a racist criticism of Jewish people; and that in turns suits some Israeli apologists and elements of the Right.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Not you.

That's great, Philip. Demonstrating both your opposition to antisemitism and your utter lack of hypocrisy by not going on any protests about anything. If only there were more like you, this world would be a much better place.
  • Options

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

n=1,001

I don't know what other people's views are, but the idea that something like Cumming's performance will radically change opinion overnight I think is fanciful. I expect there to be little change, particularly while people are still pleased about the vaccine programme and furlough.

The impact of Cummings is more likely to be the "unfit for office " label. This won't resonate with the public at large until Johnson is seen to make more cock-ups (which will inevitably come). I think it will also have an effect on those around Johnson. "Unfit for office" is a label he will find difficult to shake off, as it will be in the minds of not just his rivals but everyone who sees him do or say something stupid, and that is also likely to be on a regular basis.
    Totally agree. This ongoing hollowing out of the government on trust and competence, especially on financial matters, will dramatically have an impact, but not in the polls anytime soon.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Floater said:

What or who is Bellingcat?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Floater said:

US related seemingly. Could be interesting.
    I've got it, it's aliens!
  • Options
    Roger said:

The FT piece is wrong.

Sorry, was that post meant for Philip Thompson? I have a job thanks, and a pretty good one. Your powers of debate suggest that analysis and response are not part of yours. Part of my job meant that I spent quite a large time travelling Europe and in particular Switzerland. So, no not pathetic, but a response to Philip posting a comment based upon an article in the non-too-partial DT. I think you might need to get a job, pillock!
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

A few points:
    Should the the right to peaceful protest extend through rival communities and around their places of worship, in the faces of the locals?

I say no. No one is entitled to that type of peaceful protest.
    I agree. It is not peaceful protest when the aim is to have people "made uncomfortable" for their crime of being born. The protesters could stay in their own community, have a peaceful protest outside their local mosque and then go home.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2021

kinabalu said:

There are frequent pro-Kurd protests outside the Turkish embassy.

5 seconds of googling got me one happening last month

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2987918041532725&id=1809404532717421
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Dura_Ace said:

Punchline of the day 😆
    The Defenders we had in Basra needed to have their fuel filters changed every three days and Chinese batteries that went completely flat in under 12 hours. It was utterly beyond the capabilities of the Royal Engineers Minus Education to keep them running so we just stole Hi-Luxes/L300s from the benighted Basrans. Sorry, I meant "confiscated them from insurgents".
  • Options

🤙 You are on fire today Dale.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

A few points:
    This subject causes surprising passion, and alarming stupidity.

Do you believe the Muslim Council in Luton has evolved in the direction that you state in (2)?

As for (3) I am nowhere near the making that “demand”. It’s a smear for you to suggest otherwise.
    Its a truly fascinating piece of sophistry you are engaged in. You typed an anti-semitic statement: "Perhaps the Luton Jewish Council should indeed be made uncomfortable about the Israeli state’s treatment of Palestinians. Perhaps all of us should." and then pulled it back to just about ok by broadening it out to "perhaps we all should".

Come on, you know exactly what you wrote and how it reads. Why single out "the Luton Jewish Council" from "all" of us at all? What do I have to do with the actions of Israel? What do the Luton Jewish Council? "Nothing" is the answer.

Final point. In what decent civilisation should a group be "made uncomfortable" about something that is nothing to do with them? When the last time a group set out to make other non-connected Jews "uncomfortable" ended with drive by "rape the Jews" calls.
    You are becoming hysterical, man.
    Snap out of it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Roger said:

The FT piece is wrong.

Sorry, was that post meant for Philip Thompson? I have a job thanks, and a pretty good one. Your powers of debate suggest that analysis and response are not part of yours. Part of my job meant that I spent quite a large time travelling Europe and in particular Switzerland. So, no not pathetic, but a response to Philip posting a comment based upon an article in the non-too-partial DT. I think you might need to get a job, pillock!
    I think we finally found some consensus - Roger the pillock!
  • Options
    edited May 2021

As far as I can tell, Israel enlivens passions because it is seen on the hard left through the prism of anti-imperialist critique.

In turn this can curdle into anti-semitism, a la Livingstone, although as @Roger explains it is very hard to separate legitimate criticism of Israel from a racist criticism of Jewish people; and that in turns suits some Israeli apologists and elements of the Right.
    Its really simple. Legitimate criticism of Israel (and there is a LOT to criticise) should be aimed at Israel. Far too many - including the protesters in question - aim it at British Jews.

Equating Jews with Israel is anti-semitism.
    It really isn’t simple.

For example, you just said - with no evidence whatsoever - that the Muslim protesters will aim their protest at Jews.

Possibly that is true, for some.

But there’s no evidence that is their wholesale intent. You’re just making it up.

Which is usually called...prejudice.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,544
    gealbhan said:

Dura_Ace said:

Punchline of the day 😆
    I've heard it said that the big Tornado sale to Saudi Arabia was a two-for-the-price-of-one - it paid for alot of British jobs and it made sure that the Saudis spent their money on Tornados, rather than something better.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2987918041532725&id=1809404532717421
    When these protests start happening outside the local Kebab shop you may have a point.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

kinabalu said:

I don’t consider myself parochial at all. Indeed, in a previous employment I worked across the world. Sometimes mediating in international troublespots. I have lived in several other countries. Nothing about me is parochial.

I simply do not see why (presumably) U.K. citizens feel the need to bring foreign wars (for this is a war) to our country.
    We have tons of protests here about bad stuff going on elsewhere. And many people see this more as a systematic oppression (akin to apartheid) rather than simply another foreign war.

You just don't like the cause, that's all. Which is fair enough, but that's a different argument.
  • Options

Its really simple. Legitimate criticism of Israel (and there is a LOT to criticise) should be aimed at Israel. Far too many - including the protesters in question - aim it at British Jews.

Equating Jews with Israel is anti-semitism.
    I think you should calm down here a bit. It is possible @Gardenwalker made a statement that could be misinterpreted, but I think accusing him of anti-Semitism is a bit much TBH
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Not you.

Who is talking about “the Jews etc” except Ken Livingstone, Rod Crosby, and mad Islamists?
    mad Islamists?

Are you saying all Islamists mad, or just the mad ones?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,375

Will be available "later this year".

Doesn't sound promising. That's rather too late isn't it?
    We’re all going to get it in the autumn
  • Options
    felix said:

Roger said:

The FT piece is wrong.

I think we finally found some consensus - Roger the pillock!
    "Roger the pillock" sounds like a call to action which I might have to decline
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

Not you.

mad Islamists?

Are you saying all Islamists mad, or just the mad ones?
    The mad ones, yes.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Dura_Ace said:

Punchline of the day 😆
    I've heard it said that the big Tornado sale to Saudi Arabia was a two-for-the-price-of-one - it paid for alot of British jobs and it made sure that the Saudis spent their money on Tornados, rather than something better.
    In the desert they would be better off with Mirage’s?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

When these protests start happening outside the local Kebab shop you may have a point.
    My local kebab shop is run by Kurds. Not sure what would happen if Turkish nationalists went in there.....

Round the corner, the chip shop is run by Green Cypriots. That could be fun as well.....
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

n=1,001

tHe VaCcInE bOuNcE mAy Be FaDiNg
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

We have tons of protests here about bad stuff going on elsewhere. And many people see this more as a systematic oppression (akin to apartheid) rather than simply another foreign war.

You just don't like the cause, that's all. Which is fair enough, but that's a different argument.
    How is it "a more systematic oppression (akin to apartheid)" than what is happening to the Kurds? Or the Uighur? Or the Tibetans? Or many more?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Dura_Ace said:

Punchline of the day 😆
    Mirages worked out quite nicely for the Israelis, IIRC.

Of course that could just be an illusion, created by Zionist propaganda.....
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

How is it "a more systematic oppression (akin to apartheid)" than what is happening to the Kurds? Or the Uighur? Or the Tibetans? Or many more?
    You are implying there is something not right if it isn’t an all or nothing approach?

That there is only protest if you see it on the telly, without media presence it gets ignored? And that make the protestors hollow and gullible in some way?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

"ISRAEL MUST BE PUNISHED FOR GAZA" they cry, "IT'S A PRISON". Yep, and yet why are they no co-protesting Egypt who maintained part of the prison walls? Because they are anti-semites!

"ISRAEL MUST LET ALL THE REFUGEES COME HOME" they cry. What refugees? These are 4th or 5th generation decedents of refugees who have been denied the right to settle in Jordan or Lebanon or Syria parts of which were Palestine.

Europe has seen borders shift repeatedly. Do we have a few million Germans in refugee camps awaiting their return into Konigsberg? Or Poles into their lost territories?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

My local kebab shop is run by Kurds. Not sure what would happen if Turkish nationalists went in there.....

Round the corner, the chip shop is run by Green Cypriots. That could be fun as well.....
    Well your Turkish barber then. Protesting against the actions of Israel outside their embassy is perfectly fine and understandable. Protesting by threatening Jews living in this country is not. This is not complicated.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Well your Turkish barber then. Protesting against the actions of Israel outside their embassy is perfectly fine and understandable. Protesting by threatening Jews living in this country is not. This is not complicated.
    My barber's shop is Greek Cypriots + Poles.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Pioneers, I, for one, am shocked that the French haven't given us Normandy, Anjou, Brittany, and Aquitaine back.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

You are implying there is something not right if it isn’t an all or nothing approach?

That there is only protest if you see it on the telly, without media presence it gets ignored? And that make the protestors hollow and gullible in some way?
    I'm saying if you turn a blind eye to all the injustice in the world but get het up solely when Jews are involved then there's a word for that.

Criticising Israel is absolutely fine and not anti-Semitic, especially if you do it consistently the same as you would do it with other nations in the same circumstances.

Criticising only Israel in a way you don't do with anyone else, or expecting Jews to answer for Israel, that is not OK.
  • Options

It didn't really work because they went out and bought a shitload of F-15s at the same time.

The Saudis always liked their Tornado IDS jets - 7 squadron still operate them from Dhahran. Their F3s... not so much...
  • Options

Mr. Pioneers, I, for one, am shocked that the French haven't given us Normandy, Anjou, Brittany, and Aquitaine back.

I'd like to know what the Scots did to the Picts. Return their lands!
  • Options

They can keep Calais though. It's a dump.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

"ISRAEL MUST BE PUNISHED FOR GAZA" they cry, "IT'S A PRISON". Yep, and yet why are they no co-protesting Egypt who maintained part of the prison walls? Because they are anti-semites!

"ISRAEL MUST LET ALL THE REFUGEES COME HOME" they cry. What refugees? These are 4th or 5th generation decedents of refugees who have been denied the right to settle in Jordan or Lebanon or Syria parts of which were Palestine.

Europe has seen borders shift repeatedly. Do we have a few million Germans in refugee camps awaiting their return into Konigsberg? Or Poles into their lost territories?

gealbhan said:

Precisely. Israel doesn't even occupy Gaza, Israel withdrew from Gaza years ago just as Egypt did before it (by losing a war to be fair).
  • Options
    felix said:

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

n=1,001

Chortle!
    I like a laugh as much as the next man, but try as I might I can't find a rich seam of humour in the public's indifference to government screw ups on coronavirus.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It didn't really work because they went out and bought a shitload of F-15s at the same time.

The Saudis always liked their Tornado IDS jets - 7 squadron still operate them from Dhahran. Their F3s... not so much...
    I used to work with a former F3 pilot. There was something about his insistence, unprompted, when pissed, that it was the World's Best Fighter...
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,691
    Fishing said:

The FT piece is wrong.

1) the EU fetishises the Single Market because it's the only thing they've done that works
    2) the EU expects countries to roll over like the Norwegians always do, but cannot handle a people with character and guts.
    When you say "character and guts", are you referring to our prime minister?
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

Just a quick voodoo poll.

How many on here used the NHS Covid-19 app?

How many have you been asked to self isolate in the last 3 months?

Got the app. No request to self isolate. And I do go out to restaurants and shops etc.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Or a boat full of European Jews, escaping to Israel, about to be sunk and murdered by the anti Semitic British?

I equated it to Playing the victim card is old as time, but very canny and powerful card of the old political deck. Regicide would not have happened on Charles I if he hadn’t manoeuvred for it himself, to play the victim card on his political opponents.

And both the state of Israel and displaced and unsettled Palestinians are playing it concurrently

I used the genius allegory of victim card in Bob Robert’s but it went straight over Gardenwalkers head 😕
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Dura_Ace said:

Punchline of the day 😆
    They nearly bought the Mirage 4000 which was a hot ship - it would do standstill to M2.0 at FL500 in under 4 minutes. In the end they bought the Mighty Eagle and the Mir4k was cancelled.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

As it happens, a peaceful protest outside a relevant nations embassy would not, in reality be a problem. However any protests that end in motorcades calling for mass rape (as did the recent one in London) is bringing a foreign war to this country. It must not be tolerated. It is essentially an act of war against the United Kingdom.

• Options
    ClippP said:

Fishing said:

The FT piece is wrong.

When you say "character and guts", are you referring to our prime minister?
    Funny how Brexity folk obsess about WW2 and yet have such a limited knowledge of the history of that conflict. Too much reading war comics I guess.

I suggest Mr. Fishing reads a little about Norwegian resistance against occupation before he insults their national character.
This discussion has been closed.