Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not making the promised June 21 lockdown end is going to be controversial – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    edited May 2021
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

And - I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Yes. Am I supposed to be upset that people wish to protest?
    I think that is a Star of David with LUS inside it (Luton Something Synagogue?) and the message is that the area will be unsafe for Jews.
    Yep, saw that.
    Does that mean the Muslim Council should abandon their protest?
    No, just that the police shouldn't be telling people with certain characteristics to avoid areas due to potential racists.

Imagine the police advising Asians or whoever to avoid an area with an EDL demo or something.
    Strictly speaking, the police are not advising, they are informing. It is the Council who are advising in this instance.
    Distinction without a difference. Why should the police inform any specific people about a particular demo?
    Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

People reading more into this have some weird political point they want to make, which can basically be reduced to “Muslims are bad and the police are letting them”.
    It was barely a couple of weeks ago that we had people protesting for Palestine threatening violence and rape on the streets of London in areas where Jewish people lived.

Sure - we can have peaceful demos if the possible targets hide away at home. Just as women would be much less likely to be attacked if they stayed at home and never went out. Surprised you think that's the sort of society we should have.

I'd prefer one where people can protest peacefully and anyone can go and watch or walk about any part of their home town without being told to stay away because they might be the target of abuse or attack.

But each to their own, eh!
    Yes, and those nutters were dealt with by the police.

I’m surprised at you; you seem to be resiling your own beliefs in the right to protest.

Edit; the stuff about women is also totally beneath you.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Pulpstar said:

Police raid suspected cannabis farm and find Bitcoin mining operation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-57280115

Hopefully the police have seized the hard drives with the Bitcoins.
    Unlikely but even the crappiest video card is worth a few hundred at the moment.

There is probably more value in the hardware than the electricity stolen.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,327
    Wow!!!

James Ward
    @JamesWard73
    It’s even better than that: it’s brilliant news. By my calcs, Hancock’s statistic (10% of people in hospital have had 2 doses of vaccine) implies the vaccine is having at least a 95% protective effect – and probably more like 98%, or maybe even higher. Let me explain… 1/n

https://twitter.com/JamesWard73/status/1397884961227689984
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,573
    MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

I think that is a Star of David with LUS inside it (Luton Something Synagogue?) and the message is that the area will be unsafe for Jews.
    Yep, saw that.
    No, just that the police shouldn't be telling people with certain characteristics to avoid areas due to potential racists.

Imagine the police advising Asians or whoever to avoid an area with an EDL demo or something.
    Strictly speaking, the police are not advising, they are informing. It is the Council who are advising in this instance.
    Distinction without a difference. Why should the police inform any specific people about a particular demo?
    Same reason the police inform my employer when the hard left want to protest in the centre of Manchester. So we can make appropriate preparations.

Apparently some on the hard left hate bankers.

As an aside one of the coppers told us when the EDL and FLA want to protest in Piccadilly Gardens.

Apparently they hate people who look like me.
    What flamboyant dressers? :)
    I reckon TSE gets his clothes from Primark, with the occasional socks and underwear from Marks and Spencers.
    "Wearing a loud shirt in a built up area" - DougSeal, what's the maximum sentence for that, these days?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,222

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.
    And there is the problem of right to protest. Freedom and Libertarianism gone mad.

Is it the right to simply walk down a street?

Or your right to get in peoples faces and make them feel uncomfortable and unsafe.

And on this the British government is always going to struggle, partitioning part of another country and claiming it as their own?
    Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Perhaps the Luton Jewish Council should indeed be made uncomfortable about the Israeli state’s treatment of Palestinians. Perhaps all of us should.
    Your last sentence just about saves the penultmate sentence from jusitified approprium. Just about.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DougSeal said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.
    And there is the problem of right to protest. Freedom and Libertarianism gone mad.

Or your right to get in peoples faces and make them feel uncomfortable and unsafe.

And on this the British government is always going to struggle, partitioning part of another country and claiming it as their own?
    Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Perhaps the Luton Jewish Council should indeed be made uncomfortable about the Israeli state’s treatment of Palestinians. Perhaps all of us should.
    Your last sentence just about saves the penultmate sentence from jusitified approprium. Just about.
    Hopefully we can discourse on here without bad faith accusations of anti-semitism.

Which you pretty much made. Pretty much.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,327
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Just a quick voodoo poll.

How many on here used the NHS Covid-19 app?

How many have you been asked to self isolate in the last 3 months?

Yes and no.
    I have avoided it. I have, however, just had my second jab. (You know, the one that contains Bill Gate's tracking device!)
    If you get tinnitus, don't worry; it's just Bill Gates adjusting the 5G signal.
    Yes, the effects are varied and can be quite subtle.

Ever since my 2nd jab I've had this strange and powerful urge to put a woolly jumper on and launch some world changing software from my garage.
    Probably easier than knapping flint for a living.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

It was sent out by the synagogue. Should they not use their own logo?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,571
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Same reason the police inform my employer when the hard left want to protest in the centre of Manchester. So we can make appropriate preparations.

As an aside one of the coppers told us when the EDL and DFA want to protest in Piccadilly Gardens.

By "us", do you mean Asians? If so, that's as disgraceful as what's going on in Luton.

Telling businesses about demos in the area I'm happier with. They may want to take precautions. They shouldn't have to mind, and criminal damage should be prosecuted by the police.
    It was us as the firm but I was the only non white person in the meeting.

Apparently the EDL hate anyone who doesn’t support them.

The Rozzers had intelligence that something was going to kick off that day.

Piccadilly Gardens I have to go through to get my train back at home.

Most employees were allowed to work from home that day.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Hopefully we can discourse on here without bad faith accusations of anti-semitism.

Which you pretty much made. Pretty much.
    I vaguely insinuate that you vaguely insinuate that he vaguely insulted that you vaguely insinuated.... stuff...

Is it G&T time yet?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,226

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

People reading more into this have some weird political point they want to make, which can basically be reduced to “Muslims are bad and the police are letting them”.
    It was barely a couple of weeks ago that we had people protesting for Palestine threatening violence and rape on the streets of London in areas where Jewish people lived.

Sure - we can have peaceful demos if the possible targets hide away at home. Just as women would be much less likely to be attacked if they stayed at home and never went out. Surprised you think that's the sort of society we should have.

I'd prefer one where people can protest peacefully and anyone can go and watch or walk about any part of their home town without being told to stay away because they might be the target of abuse or attack.

I’m surprised at you; you seem to be resiling your own beliefs in the right to protest.

You must have missed the bit where I said clearly and unambiguously that people were free to protest.

And no the bit about women matters because it is exactly the same mindset - that it is the victims who should take action not the assailants. The threats on the streets of London were of rape against women. It largely seems to have been overlooked.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

It was sent out by the synagogue. Should they not use their own logo?
    Of course they should. My point was that the document would read rather differently for anyone who did not recognise it.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

:angry:
    In the movie Bob Robert’s, whilst campaigning Bob is shot. The group gathering at the hospital are told it’s an immigrant who shot him - they spy an immigrant walking across the street, run over and kick him to death.

Our fellow poster Gardenwalker has just rushed across the street to deliver his justice for crimes committed by the guilty scumbags the immigrant belongs to?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489

Surely illustrates a missed opportunity to green-up bitcoin mining here - use the waste heat for cannabis propagation.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

As an aside one of the coppers told us when the EDL and FLA want to protest in Piccadilly Gardens.

I reckon TSE gets his clothes from Primark, with the occasional socks and underwear from Marks and Spencers.
    Hah. I only buy food from M&S.

I’ve not bought any work clothes for nearly 18 months and this weekend I get buy some new stuff as the old clothes are too big.
  • Options

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

I’ve not bought any work clothes for nearly 18 months and this weekend I get buy some new stuff as the old clothes are too big.
    Too big? After lockdown?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

You must have missed the bit where I said clearly and unambiguously that people were free to protest.

And no the bit about women matters because it is exactly the same mindset - that it is the victims who should take action not the assailants. The threats on the streets of London were of rape against women. It largely seems to have been overlooked.

I am standing up (seemingly alone) for the right of Muslims (or anyone) to protest the shocking state of affairs in Palestine.

The fact that it makes the Luton United Synagogue wary may be regrettable, but unless someone can tell me that a Muslim or pro-Palestine protest is a priori anti-Semitic and likely violent, I will defend their democratic right to hold it.
  • Options

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Someone in Flannels is about to get a very hefty commission bonus.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

In the movie Bob Robert’s, whilst campaigning Bob is shot. The group gathering at the hospital are told it’s an immigrant who shot him - they spy an immigrant walking across the street, run over and kick him to death.

Our fellow poster Gardenwalker has just rushed across the street to deliver his justice for crimes committed by the guilty scumbags the immigrant belongs to?
    One thing that never seems to be addressed is this - in the Middle East (and other parts of the Muslim world), Jews and Israel are conflated in the usual state propaganda. Blame Israel for {insert here} is used as a useful prop and excuse for life in dictatorial regimes. Racism is preached by the state.

So people coming from these countries have been steeped in racism regarding Jews.

I used to work for an oil company. Due to hiring policies, we had quite a few people moving between countries. We had some interesting times with people coming from Saudi (and elsewhere), who were not "Westernised". The moment when they discovered that their new boss was Jewish was always a moment, for example. Or a woman.

Interestingly, without exception (in my experience), they adjusted quite rapidly.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991
    Selebian said:

Surely illustrates a missed opportunity to green-up bitcoin mining here - use the waste heat for cannabis propagation.
    It would have a better carbon footprint.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Too big? After lockdown?
    Yeah. I broke the trend.

One thing lockdown stopped was my extravagant work lunches.

Plus lockdown also stopped me from waking up at 5am to catch a 7am train.

So I woke up at 6am and did an hour/90 min on the bike and cross trainer.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

Another poster who is unable to read.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Interesting comment piece on the Swiss/EU bust up. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/05/28/looming-threat-switzerlands-brexit-moment-risks-calamity-brussels/

I wonder whether the Swiss are looking at the UK's Brexit deal thinking "When Harry Met Sally" style "I'll have what she's having".

Although the Swiss are quasi-Single Market members only, Chexit next?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296

Good branding for an accident waiting to happen.

Random question - why does it need a windscreen?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,895

So the bloke can take it back to the garage when it runs someone over?
  • Options

Wouldn't bugs be hitting the passengers otherwise?
  • Options
    oggologioggologi Posts: 29

Has bionic eyes.
  • Options
    eek said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

I try and avoid Flannels, owned by Mike Ashley and with a rubbish returns policy.

My shops of choice in Manchester is Selfridges, Hugo Boss, and Paul Smith.

I’ll be stepping into them for the first time in over a year.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jesus! You really think some British citizens should be made to feel uncomfortable about what a foreign state does. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Let's see how far this goes: should we go to Chinese restaurants in Soho and berate their owners and workers for what is happening to the Uighurs?
    It is the point of protest to discomfort; otherwise it is largely a waste of time.

To turn to your example, are the Muslim Council in Luton planning to protest outside synagogues and berate the owners of Jewish delis?

No, I thought not.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

I am standing up (seemingly alone) for the right of Muslims (or anyone) to protest the shocking state of affairs in Palestine.

The fact that it makes the Luton United Synagogue wary may be regrettable, but unless someone can tell me that a Muslim or pro-Palestine protest is a priori anti-Semitic and likely violent, I will defend their democratic right to hold it.
    "Fuck the Jews, rape their daughters, free Palestine." is what I remember from the most recent one.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Dr Deepti Gurdasani on BBC News saying we can’t unlock etc.

Presenter tells her that ONS are reporting that the level of COVID in England is staying the same.

The Dr says it’s concerning that the data isn’t reflecting what’s actually happening.

Seriously, why are these people allowed on TV?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

"Fuck the Jews, rape their daughters, free Palestine." is what I remember from the most recent one.
    So you would ban all Muslim protests?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

I think you are conflating Islam and Palestine.
  • Options

eek said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

I try and avoid Flannels, owned by Mike Ashley and with a rubbish returns policy.

That would be the Hugo Boss that Mr Ashley is currently in the process of buying.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Cyclefree said:

RH1992 said:

Fishing said:

In Brussels there was shock and anger. In Switzerland, quiet celebration and relief — but, for some, doubts about what exactly comes next. 

On Wednesday, Bern announced it was formally withdrawing from negotiations to codify future relations with the EU into a single overarching “framework agreement” — a back-and-forth exchange that has dominated an increasingly fraught relationship with Brussels since 2014. 

“You’d never sign a contract like that in business,” said Philip Erzinger, the head of a Kompass Europe, an anti-framework agreement campaign group. “It was one sided. It required us to take on EU law without any mechanism for saying No. It would have been a direct interference in our system of direct democracy and cantons in Switzerland.”

https://www.ft.com/content/10ede16f-0b1e-4f4f-8fd6-4ec6ac090ed0?segmentId=114a04fe-353d-37db-f705-204c9a0a157b

Yet again EU bullying fails to overcome democracy and national sovereignty.

We should certainly help the brave Swiss as much as possible.
    The problem with the EU which has become clear since 2016 is they seem to have created a 21st century version of the Monroe doctrine. They clearly see the entire European continent (except Russia) as their sphere of influence and expect all countries within it to follow their values and principles.

Unfortunately, when their values and principles collide with the will of voters in places such as the UK and Switzerland this leads to venom from the Commission and they begin to see strong, respected democracies as a larger threat than regimes such as China.
    One problem they do have is not confronting the illiberal and undemocratic behaviour of some of the countries within the EU - Hungary and Poland, for instance.

Still we can hardly talk - the PM is meeting with Orban today. Will he criticise his anti-semitism? Or is anti-semitism only bad when it is spread by Labour supporters?
    I think it’s ok for Johnson to meet Orban (or Putin, or Xi), although I’m not sure what the particular point is.
    He's on a tour of European capitals so it would be a very obvious snub to refuse to meet him - he's also the Chair of the Visegrad Group.

People seem to be under the impression that Johnson's specially invited him.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    tlg86 said:

Presenter tells her that ONS are reporting that the level of COVID in England is staying the same.

The Dr says it’s concerning that the data isn’t reflecting what’s actually happening.

It is time they were put back in their box
  • Options

Just a quick voodoo poll.

How many on here used the NHS Covid-19 app?

How many have you been asked to self isolate in the last 3 months?

Not in the lats 3 months, but I did have one period in November. This was from a close contact from a project student in a very well ventilated lab (think 30 fume cupboards, so massive air turnover) plus visors and trying to distance.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited May 2021
    tlg86 said:

Pagel was on Radio 4 this morning too, claiming once again that the vaccines aren't as effective against the new variant which is true, but wording it in a way to make it sound like a dramatic reduction in effectiveness to the verge of it being pointless to be vaccinated. (An E. Macron of Paris would be very proud.)

It's dangerous, panic inducing talk from the Zero COVID group like this that will increase anti vax sentiment, and I'm sure that'll do them just fine as it'll be proof to them that we can only lockdown until COVID is eradicated, while the rest of the country just wants to get on.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

Actually you seem to be conflating all Muslims with those who use the words you typed.

You should probably apologise to the board for gross racism.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

That would be the Hugo Boss that Mr Ashley is currently in the process of buying.
    Not happening thankfully.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail-consumer/frasers-ashley-hugo-boss-buy-20687147
  • Options

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Perhaps the Luton Jewish Council should indeed be made uncomfortable about the Israeli state’s treatment of Palestinians. “
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jesus! You really think some British citizens should be made to feel uncomfortable about what a foreign state does. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Let's see how far this goes: should we go to Chinese restaurants in Soho and berate their owners and workers for what is happening to the Uighurs?
    It is the point of protest to discomfort; otherwise it is largely a waste of time.

To turn to your example, are the Muslim Council in Luton planning to protest outside synagogues and berate the owners of Jewish delis?

No, I thought not.
    The problem is that we get into

1) the intentions of some of the organisers
    2) the intentions of other of the organisers
    3) the intentions of some of those planning to attend
    4) the intentions of some fuckwits planning to start something

Which is the complex situation that the police etc find themselves in when banning/not banning demos

One metric is "What is likely to happen?"
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Why are these Zero Covid headbangers treated any more seriously than Gupta and Heneghan?

Heneghan has been less wrong in this pandemic than these religious zealots.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,260
    edited May 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.
    No. I am fine living in a country with no go areas for Jews in it. No concerning historical precedents at all.
    My partner has a part time job as an assistant registrar and took a couple of marriage ceremonies on the Saturday the most recent Rangers 'celebrations' were taking place. One of the couples was Muslim (he of Pakistani origin, she unusually I think Romanian but wearing traditional dress) and she strongly advised them not to walk through George Square after the ceremony.
    I'd guess most Jews or Catholics aren't easily identifiable but might avoid these situations anyway, and If you're a priest or an Hasidic Jew it's useful to know these events are happening so you can avoid them.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Perhaps the Luton Jewish Council should indeed be made uncomfortable about the Israeli state’s treatment of Palestinians. “
    It’s particularly vicious to take one line from a paragraph and attempt to smear a fellow poster with it.

I’ll assume it’s just sub-IQ on your part rather than deliberate malice.
  • Options

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

this weekend I get buy some new stuff as the old clothes are too big.
    Congratulations. Mine have all shrunk......
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    RH1992 said:

tlg86 said:

Pagel was on Radio 4 this morning too, claiming once again that the vaccines aren't as effective against the new variant which is true, but wording it in a way to make it sound like a dramatic reduction in effectiveness to the verge of it being pointless to be vaccinated. (An E. Macron of Paris would be very proud.)

It's dangerous, panic inducing talk from the Zero COVID group like this that will increase anti vax sentiment, and I'm sure that'll do them just fine as it'll be proof to them that we can only lockdown until COVID is eradicated, while the rest of the country just wants to get on.
    They need banning. Utterly disgraceful.
  • Options

Interesting comment piece on the Swiss/EU bust up. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/05/28/looming-threat-switzerlands-brexit-moment-risks-calamity-brussels/

I wonder whether the Swiss are looking at the UK's Brexit deal thinking "When Harry Met Sally" style "I'll have what she's having".

The FT piece is wrong.

The Swiss thing is a long standing issue of the Swiss style extremely localised democracy vs integration into a set of fixed laws. Quite simply, unless you removed a fair few chunks of the Swiss constitution, you can't have legally mandated alignment with the EU.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Too big? After lockdown?
    Yeah. I broke the trend.

One thing lockdown stopped was my extravagant work lunches.

Plus lockdown also stopped me from waking up at 5am to catch a 7am train.

So I woke up at 6am and did an hour/90 min on the bike and cross trainer.
    You are a role model for us all Eagles!

(Christ did I just say that?)
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

Actually you seem to be conflating all Muslims with those who use the words you typed.

Are you feeling OK?

Why are you making the assumption that the Fuck the Jews, rape their daughters, free Palestine guys were Muslims? I have seen no reporting to that effect.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

It’s particularly vicious to take one line from a paragraph and attempt to smear a fellow poster with it.

Okay, here is the whole paragraph, the whole post, how does this read to you

“ Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Perhaps the Luton Jewish Council should indeed be made uncomfortable about the Israeli state’s treatment of Palestinians. Perhaps all of us should.‘
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

No, I thought not.

Which is the complex situation that the police etc find themselves in when banning/not banning demos

I agree.

But no one on here is putting forward evidence that bad things will happen.

This was originally posted as a kind of sub-Daily Mail comments board “Look what the police are enabling now...” by @isam.

Then others have rushed in to make rather stupid, bad faith arguments.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Perhaps the Luton Jewish Council should indeed be made uncomfortable about the Israeli state’s treatment of Palestinians. Perhaps all of us should.‘
    Yep. And?
  • Options

The FT piece is wrong.

The Swiss thing is a long standing issue of the Swiss style extremely localised democracy vs integration into a set of fixed laws. Quite simply, unless you removed a fair few chunks of the Swiss constitution, you can't have legally mandated alignment with the EU.
    Indeed though the Swiss and the EU spent years negotiating on that despite the issues, rather than ruling it out immediately.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,147
    Sturgeon: case numbers have increased by more than a quarter in Scotland in the last week. Doubled from where they were in early party of May. Largest daily increase since late March. R could be as high as 1.3- driven largely by Glasgow.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1398237965286100993
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

Are you feeling OK?

Why are you making the assumption that the Fuck the Jews, rape their daughters, free Palestine guys were Muslims? I have seen no reporting to that effect.
    I’m not.
    Please show me that happened please.

All I saw was you bringing up some criminal behaviour from a previous protest and - one assumes - implying it will happen again in Luton.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

No, I thought not.

I agree.

But no one on here is putting forward evidence that bad things will happen.

This was originally posted as a kind of sub-Daily Mail comments board “Look what the police are enabling now...” by @isam.

Then others have rushed in to make rather stupid, bad faith arguments.
    Yes.

As it happens, I think it utterly certain that *some* anti-semitic behaviour will occur. The question is the proportion.

Also the response of those organising the march and their stewards.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,260
    Dug out the compost heap this morning.

Compostable coffee pods can be added to the 'oh no they're fucking not list'.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Yep. And?
    It does come across as if you are saying Jews everywhere should be made to feel uncomfortable by what Israel are doing to Palestinians?

And the missing the bit about Israelis uncomfortable by the Palestinian terrorism inflicted on them?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

You are not alone in defending this. I have stated clearly that people are free to protest within the law.

What is being queried is why you think that Jews in Luton - British citizens - should be made to feel uncomfortable about what the Israeli government does?
    We all should. That is the point of protest.

What I was trying to say was that the rights of the Jewish community to be not be offended (made uncomfortable) do not trump the right to protest/dissent.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

I think it's Swixit, at least that's what my wife calls it. She's also very happy with the government pulling he plug on the treaty. It always used to grate when her Swiss friends would moan about brexit, so that's a nice win for me.
  • Options

The FT piece is wrong.

Indeed though the Swiss and the EU spent years negotiating on that despite the issues, rather than ruling it out immediately.
    The political class in Switzerland is quite pro EU. They were hoping that something would turn up, probably. The issue came when it became clear that the EU was going to present and agreement that wasn't compatible the Swiss system. And changing that would require a referendum.....
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

They should be protesting just not peacefully as that is completely pointless.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

tlg86 said:

Some seem to have leapt on the 33% after one dose, which as others have explained will surely improve over time. We know that the AZ vaccine gives increasing protection over 12 weeks, and perforce most people will not be that long since the dose.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Yep. And?
    It does come across as if you are saying Jews everywhere should be made to feel uncomfortable by what Israel are doing to Palestinians?

And the missing the bit about Israelis uncomfortable by the Palestinian terrorism inflicted on them?
    Where did I say “Jews everywhere”?
    I didn’t. It’s your pathetic invention. Please read what I wrote. Read it and understand it!

As for Israelis, what about them?

If Israelis wish to organise a protest I am all for it.
    And it said protest makes Palestianians uncomfortable, I am all for it as well.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,323
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Israel is an ally of ours and we're a significant supplier of arms to them. To say that perhaps we should feel uncomfortable about how they are prosecuting their conflict with the Palestinians does not strike me as a particularly wild or reprehensible sentiment.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Yep. And?

I didn’t. It’s your pathetic invention. Please read what I wrote. Read it and understand it!

I’ll say it again.

And that’s what you did isn’t it, rushed across the street and kicked the immigrant for the crime other immigrants committed?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Exactly.

People seem to think protest is should operate along the same lines as a WI jam-making competition.

I’m afraid I take the French attitude in these matters.
  • Options

Dug out the compost heap this morning.

Compostable coffee pods can be added to the 'oh no they're fucking not list'.

Its just a question of time really. Come back in 100 years and they'll be done! Not much good for your compost though!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,866

Yes we could stick more flags in that space! The designer needs re-education from the Home Office.
  • Options
    Johnson & Johnson Janssen vaccine approved for use.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    Scott_xP said:

Sturgeon: case numbers have increased by more than a quarter in Scotland in the last week. Doubled from where they were in early party of May. Largest daily increase since late March. R could be as high as 1.3- driven largely by Glasgow.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1398237965286100993

And she said hospital cases are stable
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Yep. And?

I’ll say it again.

And that’s what you did isn’t it, rushed across the street and kicked the immigrant for the crime other immigrants committed?
    Yep. You’ve got me bang to rights.
    Bob Roberts made me do it. I kicked the immigrant to death.

What are you talking about, you clown?
  • Options

Finally! Now we can surge!
  • Options
  • Options

Single dose too. I had come to think this was never going to be approved given the AZN clot issues.
  • Options

Single dose too. I had come to think this was never going to be approved given the AZN clot issues.
    Have you got a source? (For the news, not the jab...)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

By no means alone. It's true that the campaign of the Israeli Ambassador Mark Regev to make the linkage between Israel and British Jews so solid that criticism of Israel and anti semitism is one and the same thing and many supporters of Palestinian rights have been cowed as a result.

Fortunately there's still a large body of British Jews who are still prepared to speak freely knowing charges of anti-semitism don't wash. The Jews have a proud history of supporting oppressed people, South Africa being a good example. You can be sure the campaign for Palestinian rights in Luton will have a reasonable number of Jewish supporters.
  • Options

Sky.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,222
    tlg86 said:

RH1992 said:

tlg86 said:

They need banning. Utterly disgraceful.
    They are incoherent. Whitty said as far back as March I think it was that they need to define what "Zero Covid" is. SW England now has levels of infection that Indie Sage said would allow full reopening. Gurdasani herself has said she doesn't mean "eradication" but "elimination". What's the difference?

Now they are piling on PHE and its scientists with conspiracy theories about the data - there was a minor Twitter storm at the weekend when one of them suggested that PHE had attempted to bury bad news by realising it during Eurovision.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

Dura_Ace said:

Exactly.

People seem to think protest is should operate along the same lines as a WI jam-making competition.

As long as the police can imitate their french counterparts when dealing with violent protestors. You may enjoy widespread mayhem but most won't. Most people don't want to cede the streets to thugs
  • Options
    edited May 2021

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Yep. And?

I’ll say it again.

You are digging yourself into a hole, and the mistake you are making was picking a side, on the basis of you know what is fair, and what freedom is, without realising it’s politics, at play, on you thwarting you from knowing that.

You know the moment Black Death broke out in Italy the Jewish villages were torched on basis they were responsible for it? It wasn’t actually true, it was politics.

The truth was, Bob hadn’t been shot by an immigrant, it was spin, a rouse created by himself to appear the victim.

Playing the victim card is old as time, but very canny and powerful card of the old political deck. Regicide would not have happened on Charles I if he hadn’t manoeuvred for it himself, to play the victim card on his political opponents.
  • Options

Sky.
    Not on the website?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

The FT piece is wrong.

Everything for you is seen through your obsessional irrational hatred of the EU. You have absolutely no understanding of continental politics, much like everything else you pronounce on from the standpoint of ignorance, for that matter.

Continental politics has essential evolved in the direction of compromise. In order to facilitate that compromise you take positions that appear intransigent that are then eventually and inevitably compromised on, or fudged if you prefer the more pejorative term. It will happen with Switzerland, and they will maintain their half in half out position.
  • Options

Sky.
    Not on the website?
    Ah - now on the BBC radio 5 too
  • Options
    Regarding the Luton march. Am I alone in wondering why the fuck people are protesting in this country about the relations between two other countries?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

Dura_Ace said:

Exactly.

La terreur, sans laquelle la vertu est impuissante.
  • Options

Sky.
    Not on the website?
    Presenter just announced it as "Breaking News" and its on the ticker. But they just had that, confirming it was single dose, then went back to normal reporting. Approved for use in the UK.

Probably be a few minutes for websites to be updated.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

Dura_Ace said:

Exactly.

The fact that it makes the Luton United Synagogue wary may be regrettable.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Jews <> Israel.

How does this read?

“ Unsafe, no.
    Uncomfortable, sure.

Yep. And?

I’ll say it again.

You are digging yourself into a hole, and the mistake you are making was picking a side, on the basis of you know what is fair, and what freedom is, without realising it’s politics, at play, on you thwarting you from knowing that.

You know the moment Black Death broke out in Italy the Jewish villages were torched on basis they were responsible for it? It wasn’t actually true, it was politics.

The truth was, Bob hadn’t been shot by an immigrant, it was spin, a rouse created by himself to appear the victim.

Playing the victim card is old as time, but very canny and powerful card of the old political deck. Regicide would not have happened on Charles I if he hadn’t manoeuvred for it himself, to play the victim card on his political opponents.
    The only hole being dug is the one where your brain was.
  • Options
    I wonder how many single doses of Johnson & Johnson we have and how soon it can be rolled out?

Given we're already at 1% of population per day, surging from here would be great news.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,226

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

You are not alone in defending this. I have stated clearly that people are free to protest within the law.

What is being queried is why you think that Jews in Luton - British citizens - should be made to feel uncomfortable about what the Israeli government does?

What I was trying to say was that the rights of the Jewish community to be not be offended (made uncomfortable) do not trump the right to protest/dissent.
    Well if that is now what you are saying it is different from what you said earlier.

No-one has suggested that the protest should be stopped because people might not like it. They have queried why some people should be told to avoid the area because that sounds as if trouble is expected. They have queried why one group should be made to feel that they cannot walk freely around their home town even when a lawful protest is happening. It should be possible in a free society to have both.

And above all they have queried your very clear statement that British citizens who happen to be Jewish should be made to feel uncomfortable about the actions of a foreign state, as if they in particular bear some responsibility for it or should somehow be blamed. That is to my mind a reprehensible view to take.

If that is not your view, good.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,323

Regarding the Luton march. Am I alone in wondering why the fuck people are protesting in this country about the relations between two other countries?

No you won't be alone. There are a number of other ultra-parochials on here.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

isam said:

This is England

Yep, saw that.

Sounds smart to me.
    Community relations.

Well if that is now what you are saying it is different from what you said earlier.

No-one has suggested that the protest should be stopped because people might not like it. They have queried why some people should be told to avoid the area because that sounds as if trouble is expected. They have queried why one group should be made to feel that they cannot walk freely around their home town even when a lawful protest is happening. It should be possible in a free society to have both.

And above all they have queried your very clear statement that British citizens who happen to be Jewish should be made to feel uncomfortable about the actions of a foreign state, as if they in particular bear some responsibility for it or should somehow be blamed. That is to my mind a reprehensible view to take.

If that is not your view, good.
    You missed out his support for violent protest
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Exactly.

The fact that it makes the Luton United Synagogue wary may be regrettable.
    Yep. And?
    If you’ve got something intelligent to say, let’s hear it.
  • Options
    The Cummings effect.....or not....

Our latest Westminster voting intention:

CON 44 (+1)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    GRN 8 (+1)
    LD 7 (+2)
    SNP 5 (=)
    RUK 2 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    OTH 1 (-1)

Fieldwork 27th-28th May (changes vs 28th-29th April)
    n=1,001

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/1398239333124128770?s=20
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    kinabalu said:

No you won't be alone. There are a number of other ultra-parochials on here.
    Nothing to do with parochialism.

When was the last "Free Kurdistan" protest? Despite the atrocities in Kurdistan being much worse than that in Palestine?

I suppose Turks aren't Jews so who gives a shit about Kurds, eh?
  • Options

I wonder how many single doses of Johnson & Johnson we have and how soon it can be rolled out?

Given we're already at 1% of population per day, surging from here would be great news.

The real impact would be in allowing a major (proportional speaking) increase in first (and last!) vaccinations. We are running something like 150K average first vaccinations at the moment. So even 50K per day of J&J would be a noticeable change.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    I am not surprised. I also wouldnt be surprised if come August the Germans have much the same percentage of teh population vaccinated as we do. This will make all the nationalistic braggadocio look like, well, nationalistic braggadocio!
This discussion has been closed.