Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The case for Labour making an electoral pact – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    isam said:

How will this Palestinian stuff affect the polling?

Can Labour go any lower?

Oh yes....
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741

Pulpstar said:

So the conclusion to my "debate" on Israel vs Palestine is that I've been blocked. I guess I've been cancelled. 🤷‍♂️

Who has blocked you ?
    Ah, this was just in reference to the debate I was having on Facebook with some muslim friends/acquaintances that I mentioned earlier.
    Their loss.
  • Pulpstar said:

So the conclusion to my "debate" on Israel vs Palestine is that I've been blocked. I guess I've been cancelled. 🤷‍♂️

Who has blocked you ?
    Ah, this was just in reference to the debate I was having on Facebook with some muslim friends/acquaintances that I mentioned earlier.
    Given you are, in comparison to many here, a very left liberal person, I would say this is not a good sign.

• alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited May 2021
    ping said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Somewhat O/t, but I went to one of our two local pubs for a pre- dinner drink. Discussion was around tomorrow’s ‘freedom’.
    Spoke to about ten people, including the landlord. No-one, absolutely no-one, expected the ‘total liberation’ promised for June to come to pass, and everybody put the blame on the PM and the the Government for pausing the restrictions on people coming from India.
    Normal political opinions range from Left to Right.

Just imagine how potent attacks from the LotO would be if he wasn’t also in favour of open borders.
    The funny bit is: it probably doesn't really matter at this point.

Like in Israel (and parts of the US) we're rapidly moving to a point where there won't be any hosts for the virus to infect. Before the month is out, we'll be vaccinating people in their 20s.

And by the middle of June, pretty much all adults will have had at least one dose.

Unfortunately, SAGE seems to think that 10s of thousands of people could end up in hospital.

Have they not looked to the US or Israel, the former of which is probably just behind is, and the latter just in front? In both places, normality has pretty much resumed, and cases continue to fall.
    Cases now also appear to be falling in… India. Surprising as it might seem, I haven’t seen anything on the TV news about that!
    Fantastic news for India.

For us as well - panic over the Indian variant looks to have been overblown.
    India - massive country with not great mass healthcare. Any outbreak whilst vaccination rates are low is going to cause A LOT of deaths. Variant identified that originated in India. Two and two put together to make an extremely dangerous variant imported to the UK.

I saw some quote on twitter from an Indian government official saying that he didn't really know anything about any Indian variant - the big problem in India is/was the english variant ;)
  • JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

On topic, the assumption that a progressive alliance would sweep the board is bollocks. If one came about I would come out for example and vote tory purely on I don't want pr and I have abstained since 2010 as there is never anyone worth voting for in my constituency only having con lab ld to vote for.
    The progressive alliance would try and bring in pr without a referendum which frankly I think is shit. Any major constitutional change should get the ok from voters. However they know voters wouldn't support PR anymore than they did av.
    Bring in PR and I walk away totally as I refuse to give my vote to anyone when I dont know what I am voting for. The coalition left a bad enough taste in my mouth when they claimed my vote was part of a mandate for a manifesto I wouldn't have voted for

"only having con lab ld to vote for"

Are you to the left or right of con lab ld?
    I won't vote ld because they are neither liberal or democratic, I didnt vote labour because corbyn was in charge and couldn't vote tory because of their authoritarianism. If the monster raving looney party was standing they would have got my vote as most sane party
    It's easier for me in Scotland. I just vote anti-left-wing-nationalism i.e. anti-SNP
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Anyway enough of these interesting diversions of the British Labour Party, war in Palestine and covid.

Here’s a short video you should all watch about the latest leak of military footage of UAP (ufo) pending the Congressional report at some point this year.

https://youtu.be/aPZM3bgTQ7g
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

ping said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Somewhat O/t, but I went to one of our two local pubs for a pre- dinner drink. Discussion was around tomorrow’s ‘freedom’.
    Spoke to about ten people, including the landlord. No-one, absolutely no-one, expected the ‘total liberation’ promised for June to come to pass, and everybody put the blame on the PM and the the Government for pausing the restrictions on people coming from India.

Just imagine how potent attacks from the LotO would be if he wasn’t also in favour of open borders.

Like in Israel (and parts of the US) we're rapidly moving to a point where there won't be any hosts for the virus to infect. Before the month is out, we'll be vaccinating people in their 20s.

And by the middle of June, pretty much all adults will have had at least one dose.

Unfortunately, SAGE seems to think that 10s of thousands of people could end up in hospital.

Have they not looked to the US or Israel, the former of which is probably just behind is, and the latter just in front? In both places, normality has pretty much resumed, and cases continue to fall.
    Cases now also appear to be falling in… India. Surprising as it might seem, I haven’t seen anything on the TV news about that!

I think it all went wrong for the UK when SeanT was elevated to SAGE.
    Is Sage a higher alert level than Olive?
    rcs1000 said:

ping said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

From that moment, we were stuffed.
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

It’s mixed with Onions.

And then they chicken out.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

On topic, the assumption that a progressive alliance would sweep the board is bollocks. If one came about I would come out for example and vote tory purely on I don't want pr and I have abstained since 2010 as there is never anyone worth voting for in my constituency only having con lab ld to vote for.
    The progressive alliance would try and bring in pr without a referendum which frankly I think is shit. Any major constitutional change should get the ok from voters. However they know voters wouldn't support PR anymore than they did av.
    Bring in PR and I walk away totally as I refuse to give my vote to anyone when I dont know what I am voting for. The coalition left a bad enough taste in my mouth when they claimed my vote was part of a mandate for a manifesto I wouldn't have voted for

I won't vote ld because they are neither liberal or democratic, I didnt vote labour because corbyn was in charge and couldn't vote tory because of their authoritarianism. If the monster raving looney party was standing they would have got my vote as most sane party
    It's easier for me in Scotland. I just vote anti-left-wing-nationalism i.e. anti-SNP
    I guess I mix between classic liberal....socially liberal and small state and libertarian. For example I absolutely oppose the gay marriage bill. Not because I don't think a man can marry a man or a woman a woman but because I think the states interest should be no more than we don't care as long as how the estate is divided in any split up is specified. That way you can have 3 way marriages or any others that take your fancy.
    One might observe that despite all the scary numbers/projections being banded around the Indian variant - and implications that tomorrows reopening should be delayed - the UK alert level hasn't altered from the lower level put in place a week or so ago.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Mortimer said:

My prediction:

Boris, being able to sense oncoming political problems relatively well, will of course become aware of this shortly. The added impetus of the back benches will help to remind him.

Combined with the SAGE predictions not coming to pass, it will end up as a triumph when we do eventually open on time.
    While I agree about his sensitive political antennae, nothing lasts for ever and I got a feeling from this small unrepresentative group that patience is running out.
    It has of course run out long ago for the two regular non-Tory voters!
  • borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    We're only about 50 years off the 3000th anniversary of the Battle of Michmash, when the Israelites fought the Philistines.

Ireland's a recent wart compared to the ancient cancer of Palestine.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

It’s mixed with Onions.

If you can't find your khakis, can you even play chicken?
    Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

I guess I mix between classic liberal....socially liberal and small state and libertarian. For example I absolutely oppose the gay marriage bill. Not because I don't think a man can marry a man or a woman a woman but because I think the states interest should be no more than we don't care as long as how the estate is divided in any split up is specified. That way you can have 3 way marriages or any others that take your fancy.
    We're all ideological smorgasbords here; and we should accept nothing less.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

Mortimer said:

My prediction:

Boris, being able to sense oncoming political problems relatively well, will of course become aware of this shortly. The added impetus of the back benches will help to remind him.

Combined with the SAGE predictions not coming to pass, it will end up as a triumph when we do eventually open on time.
    While I agree about his sensitive political antennae, nothing lasts for ever and I got a feeling from this small unrepresentative group that patience is running out.
    It has of course run out long ago for the two regular non-Tory voters!
    Boris is dong far better than I thought if he is down to his last two opponents !!!!!!!
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

It’s mixed with Onions.

The intersting way to play chicken is at night two motorbikes spaced just right looks like an oncoming truck...no one swerves everyone is safe
    I'll have what Pagan2 is having. Must be strong stuff.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,914
    Pagan2 said:

On topic, the assumption that a progressive alliance would sweep the board is bollocks.

The Progresssive Alliance got 52.4% of the vote across the UK at GE 2019.
    JBriskin3 said:

passes you a peach cordial diluted to taste
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,584
    isam said:

How will this Palestinian stuff affect the polling?

Can Labour go any lower?

They can, but not for the reasons you are suggesting. What a silly and cynical comment.
    Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Nice, I indeed have a little bottle of (VODKA!) to spice it up

Pagan2 said:

On topic, the assumption that a progressive alliance would sweep the board is bollocks.

Apart from there was no progressive alliance to vote for you cant just add up non tory and brexit votes and assume they would have voted for you. I didnt vote in 2019.....would certainly have voted against a progrssive alliance

Pagan2 said:

Yes you're already told us that - but you didn't answer my question as to which category the Lib Dems fell into.
    JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLdaSAZVszA just saying
    Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

I lasted 7 seconds - not into thrash metal
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Apart from there was no progressive alliance to vote for you cant just add up non tory and brexit votes and assume they would have voted for you. I didnt vote in 2019.....would certainly have voted against a progrssive alliance
    The Right Wing Alliance got only 46.8%.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    So how many of us left unvaccinated still, patiently waiting for their turn?
    JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

Yes you're already told us that - but you didn't answer my question as to which category the Lib Dems fell into.
    "Centre to Centre-Left" according to Wikipedia.

I’m booked for Thursday but I’ve not been done yet.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Me
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Nah - Popeye liked spinach not sage

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

"Centre to Centre-Left" according to Wikipedia.
    Makes sense. Personally I thought Cameron/Clegg did a good job 2010-15

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

The Right Wing Alliance got only 46.8%.
    Bring on the progressive alliance and watch their condom punctured
    Had a fun day today looking up some ancestry stuff with my Dad.

He's always thought that his paternal grandparents were Irish, and had moved to England from there. Dad was quite keen on getting an Irish passport if we could prove it.

He knew his Nan's name, Philomena, but not his grandfather's who had died before Dad was born.

I managed to find the record of his grandfather John's will, which listed his address and the amount he'd left to Philomena.

Then found out that John was born in the same English town as my Dad (but his father was probably from Ireland), and Philomena (nee MacDonald - not coincidentally the name that my Dad's Dad used when he changed his name and ran away to start a new family in Birmingham when my Dad was 11) was from Scotland.

So I'm feeling a bit less Irish and a bit more Scottish than I was when I woke up!

And quite a long way from an EU passport..

Pagan2 said:

Only there was no progressive alliance...
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    tlg86 said:

Me
    Same here. Waiting for my letter
    JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

I increased then number of dislikes as its crap.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Just heard a story about one of my youngest son's mate.

Walking through Colchester town centre a couple of weeks back he sees a bloke wander up to a lady at a bus stop and start basically groping her.

She was obviously alarmed but the guy would not stop - to be clear he is a stranger to her not a stupid horny partner

No one helps her - son's mate who is 18 and not the tallest guy in the world steps in and tries to get the the guy to leave her alone.

It's not working and in the end the dickhead swings for the lad

Son's mate ducks under it and again tries to get the bloke to just leave it.

Dickhead tries to go again and this time the young man steps inside his reach and smacks him twice hard in the face.

Dickhead wanders off

That lad is going to get a few beers from me when he comes away with us a bit later in the year.

(Oh I asked what this guy looked like - answer "Stereotypical EDL type"

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

was merely and answer to vodka which is lets face it the pigswill of liquor

He's always thought that his paternal grandparents were Irish, and had moved to England from there. Dad was quite keen on getting an Irish passport if we could prove it.

He knew his Nan's name, Philomena, but not his grandfather's who had died before Dad was born.

I managed to find the record of his grandfather John's will, which listed his address and the amount he'd left to Philomena.

Then found out that John was born in the same English town as my Dad (but his father was probably from Ireland), and Philomena (nee MacDonald - not coincidentally the name that my Dad's Dad used when he changed his name and ran away to start a new family in Birmingham when my Dad was 11) was from Scotland.

So I'm feeling a bit less Irish and a bit more Scottish than I was when I woke up!

Genealogy is always fun.
    Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

was merely and answer to vodka which is lets face it the pigswill of liquor
    Sacrilege!
    Floater said:

Walking through Colchester town centre a couple of weeks back he sees a bloke wander up to a lady at a bus stop and start basically groping her.

She was obviously alarmed but the guy would not stop - to be clear he is a stranger to her not a stupid horny partner

No one helps her - son's mate who is 18 and not the tallest guy in the world steps in and tries to get the the guy to leave her alone.

Dickhead tries to go again and this time the young man steps inside his reach and smacks him twice hard in the face.

Dickhead wanders off

That lad is going to get a few beers from me when he comes away with us a bit later in the year.

Tip don't report it as the law abiding one will get prosecuted as easiest to find
    Re: "Indian" variant and this transmissibility question (ignoring other issues like effect on hospitalisations and deaths etc).

I wonder how much of the preliminary data on transmissibility could be linked to the communities in which the variant is currently circulating? If transmissibility is simply a function of how many people infected people passed it to, then it will naturally be higher in areas/communities with large family connections/mixing. Of course if those communities are also relatively closed, then it also opens the possibility that the variant could burn out relatively quickly.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9584765/Scared-British-Airways-cabin-crew-failing-flights-India.html

The airline is still operating seven flights a week to four major cities in India

WTAF!!!!
    Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Dickhead wanders off

Tip don't report it as the law abiding one will get prosecuted as easiest to find
    It wasn't reported
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Good:

Four men have been arrested by officers investigating a video circulating on social media which appears to show anti-Semitic abuse being shouted from a car in north London.

The video, which has been viewed millions of times on Twitter, showed a convoy of cars covered with Palestinian flags passing down Finchley Road, home to a large Jewish population, with passengers shouting offensive language and threats against Jews.

https://inews.co.uk/news/anti-semitic-abuse-north-london-car-video-police-arrest-allegations-1003971
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Good:

Four men have been arrested by officers investigating a video circulating on social media which appears to show anti-Semitic abuse being shouted from a car in north London.

The video, which has been viewed millions of times on Twitter, showed a convoy of cars covered with Palestinian flags passing down Finchley Road, home to a large Jewish population, with passengers shouting offensive language and threats against Jews.

https://inews.co.uk/news/anti-semitic-abuse-north-london-car-video-police-arrest-allegations-1003971

And to think it appeared to be the perfect crime, crafted by machiavellian geniuses with the subtlety of ninjas.
    Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Dickhead wanders off

It wasn't reported
    Anecdote time , my stepfather had his puppy stolen from his garden by someone homeless....he drove round the cliff path as he knew where it came out and grabbed the guy and got the puppy back with threats....I said to him for god sakes dont tell the police that. Of course being of the age where he feels the police are on his side he did....needles to say he was shocked by the police telling him the only reason they werent charging him was that they couldnt find the vagrant to press charges
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    edited May 2021

Good:

Four inner city by elections coming up?
    Thread:

Agree with David Frost's starting premise - Protocol as it stands is unlikely to be implemented in a sustainable way in NI. That said, I take a different line in terms of why & I don't think saying it wasn't what was envisaged is v effective. My view...1/

First that, actually, this was always a risk & one which the UK strongly warned about. That is why the UK sought a trusted trader scheme on SPS during the discussions over how to implement the Protocol. 2/

Furthermore, it was also such a significant risk that it was the single issue which united Sinn Fein & the DUP in asking for a trusted trader scheme from the EU. The EU dismissed these requests out of hand without seriously considering them. 3/

https://twitter.com/RaoulRuparel/status/1394011991128354816?s=20
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Me; 34, so won't be in the next cohort. Should only be a week or so till I can book, though!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

Actually I think, on balance, the 21st June date will be adhered to. Because the evidence is that the vaccines are working very effectively against the Indian variant.

Pagan2 said:

Just for a bit of fun:

Progressive Alliance[1] vote-share at GE 2019:

Lab 32.1%
    LD 11.6%
    SNP 3.9%
    Green 2.7%
    SF 0.6%
    PC 0.5%
    APNI 0.4%
    SDLP 0.4%
    Yorks 0.1%
    Scots Green 0.1%

TOTAL 52.4%
    [1] Parties deemed to be of the "Left" OR "Centre-left" by Wikipedia.

Right-wing Alliance[2] vote-share at GE 2019:

Con 43.6%
    Brexit 2.0%
    DUP 0.8%
    UUP 0.3%
    UKIP 0.1%

TOTAL 46.8%
    [2] Parties deemed to be of the "Right" OR "Centre-right" by Wikipedia.

Remember, this just for a bit of fun!
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,138

You'll need scotlandspeople.gov.uk for the Scottish bits - use it in combination with the ordinary genealogical website, but eg you get your birth etc certificates instantly, no faffing.
    Charles said:

Genealogy is always fun.
    It really is, though I'd guess a bit more formal and official in the world of old banking families than those of Irish pig farmers?!

Dad's also sent me a 'history' of his maternal grandmother's family that was typed out by one of her brothers back in 1984, to the best of his memory - and just before he died in Jan 85.

There's some funny and interesting stuff in his memories of his family, and a couple of tales of men in the military with local press clippings from WW2.

But the main theme seems to be that all the men were essentially drunks who died early from drinking.

While I sit here sipping a rather nice Australian Shiraz, I wonder if there might be some sort of warning there..

Pagan2 said:

Just for a bit of fun:

Lab 32.1%
    LD 11.6%
    SNP 3.9%
    Green 2.7%
    SF 0.6%
    PC 0.5%
    APNI 0.4%
    SDLP 0.4%
    Yorks 0.1%
    Scots Green 0.1%

TOTAL 52.4%

Con 43.6%
    Brexit 2.0%
    DUP 0.8%
    UUP 0.3%
    UKIP 0.1%

TOTAL 46.8%

Would love to play - but I'm getting tired. Suffice to say; I'm not entirely sure how Left-wing-Nationalists can be described as "progressive".

Night all.
    The Israel Defense Forces believes it has achieved its major goals in this round of fighting against the Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror groups as of Sunday, indicating Jerusalem may soon accept a ceasefire offer, The Times of Israel has learned.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-believes-it-significantly-hurt-hamas-and-thats-the-best-it-can-do-for-now/
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Floater said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9584765/Scared-British-Airways-cabin-crew-failing-flights-India.html

The airline is still operating seven flights a week to four major cities in India

WTAF!!!!

We need to go down the Australian / NZ route on this.
    JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

Just for a bit of fun:

Lab 32.1%
    LD 11.6%
    SNP 3.9%
    Green 2.7%
    SF 0.6%
    PC 0.5%
    APNI 0.4%
    SDLP 0.4%
    Yorks 0.1%
    Scots Green 0.1%

TOTAL 52.4%

Con 43.6%
    Brexit 2.0%
    DUP 0.8%
    UUP 0.3%
    UKIP 0.1%

TOTAL 46.8%

Would love to play - but I'm getting tired. Suffice to say; I'm not entirely sure how Left-wing-Nationalists can be described as "progressive".

Night all.
    Have a look at the Electoral Compass website sometime.
    Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Dickhead wanders off

It wasn't reported
    Anecdote time , my stepfather had his puppy stolen from his garden by someone homeless....he drove round the cliff path as he knew where it came out and grabbed the guy and got the puppy back with threats....I said to him for god sakes dont tell the police that. Of course being of the age where he feels the police are on his side he did....needles to say he was shocked by the police telling him the only reason they werent charging him was that they couldnt find the vagrant to press charges
    I am under no illusions about the boys in blue
    Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Dickhead wanders off

It wasn't reported
    My Dad was once arrested for overtaking a police car on a pedal bike (the officer said that it was the only night he could catch him as most of the time he was in his - quite recognisable - car)
    JBriskin3 said:

Pagan2 said:

Just for a bit of fun:

Lab 32.1%
    LD 11.6%
    SNP 3.9%
    Green 2.7%
    SF 0.6%
    PC 0.5%
    APNI 0.4%
    SDLP 0.4%
    Yorks 0.1%
    Scots Green 0.1%

TOTAL 52.4%

Con 43.6%
    Brexit 2.0%
    DUP 0.8%
    UUP 0.3%
    UKIP 0.1%

TOTAL 46.8%

Night all.
    SNP are also described as "Centre-Left".
    Carnyx said:

You'll need scotlandspeople.gov.uk for the Scottish bits - use it in combination with the ordinary genealogical website, but eg you get your birth etc certificates instantly, no faffing.
    And one other thing - unlike England, it is dangerous to assume your ancestors appear as baptised/married etc in a Church of Scotland parish kirk (before the introduction of modern style registration in the mid-19th century). Plenty of them would be in the records of the RC, Free Kirk, Reform Kirk, etc. This is very clearly an option on the website, but needs to be remembered, believe me.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

Floater said:

Just thinking about the UK vaccination programme

Wife had her 2nd jab yesterday

2 of my lads have had both doses (late 20's early 30's)

1 of them has 2nd dose this week (he is 18)

I have my second in 2 weeks roughly

What a superb effort

The rumours seem to be that the pace of vaccination is going to pick up still further, so by mid June a very considerable proportion of the over 18s will have had at least one jab. It now seems clear that the roadmap out was heavily aligned with the expected vaccination progress. It’s not a surprise that that this will happen, despite our European friends playing silly buggers in the last couple of months.
    Are there any updates on the court case that was, as a first injunctive step, apparently going to prevent AZN from supplying any more vaccines to the UK until the EU orders had been fulfilled?
    It's all moot because we're self sufficient for AZ, especially now that it's not being used for first doses very much at all now.
    I may well be wrong, but my memory was that the EU were trying to get an injunction to get hold of supplies currently being produced in the UK (those infamous "UK sites which were to be considered part of the EU for the purposes of supplying the EU market"). All barmy of course, but the EU commissioner involved was trying to argue that part of the purpose of the court case was to get more supplies than AZN were currently delivering (which could only have come from supplies being produced outside of the EU), as opposed primarily to obtaining financial restitution for supposed contract breach.
    There's another court action by the EC started last week.

They were talking about it at the end of April:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-preparing-legal-case-against-astrazeneca-over-vaccine-shortfalls/

And I think now it has been started:
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/new-eu-legal-case-against-astrazeneca-over-vaccine-supplies-gets-underway-2021-05-11/

(No, I have no idea what they are playing at)
    moonshine said:

Anyway enough of these interesting diversions of the British Labour Party, war in Palestine and covid.

Here’s a short video you should all watch about the latest leak of military footage of UAP (ufo) pending the Congressional report at some point this year.

https://youtu.be/aPZM3bgTQ7g

Another news clip on the same topic. I know most of you don’t want to hear it but give it a watch. Mr Meeks attracted some flak early last year talking about coronavirus as a before/after 9-11 type moment. I’m convinced this is the same but on a scale bigger than we’ve ever seen in recorded human history.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6254283117001#sp=show-clips
    Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Dickhead wanders off

It wasn't reported
    Its appalling how the innocent can fall foul of the law. The law is an ass.
    Carnyx said:

I''ve never known much of my genealogy, except for thinking that I had a bit of Irish and quite a lot of English in it.

I am interested now in finding out about my partly Scottish heritage, and starting to feel just a bit more Scottish.

I think I'm nearly ready to qualify to comment on Scottish poilitics.. ;)

Charles said:

Genealogy is always fun.
    It really is, though I'd guess a bit more formal and official in the world of old banking families than those of Irish pig farmers?!

Dad's also sent me a 'history' of his maternal grandmother's family that was typed out by one of her brothers back in 1984, to the best of his memory - and just before he died in Jan 85.

There's some funny and interesting stuff in his memories of his family, and a couple of tales of men in the military with local press clippings from WW2.

But the main theme seems to be that all the men were essentially drunks who died early from drinking.

While I sit here sipping a rather nice Australian Shiraz, I wonder if there might be some sort of warning there..
    One of my cousins has researched my Dad’s family back to the 1540s… I’ve been more interested in my Mum’s side as a result.

I only learnt a couple of weeks ago, for example, that in the 1900s/1910s (different) family members were the head of Sinn Fein and the head of the Irish/Ulster Unionists*

* Edward Carson & Edward Martyn
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

Pagan2 said:

Just for a bit of fun:

Lab 32.1%
    LD 11.6%
    SNP 3.9%
    Green 2.7%
    SF 0.6%
    PC 0.5%
    APNI 0.4%
    SDLP 0.4%
    Yorks 0.1%
    Scots Green 0.1%

TOTAL 52.4%

Con 43.6%
    Brexit 2.0%
    DUP 0.8%
    UUP 0.3%
    UKIP 0.1%

TOTAL 46.8%

Though of course the LDs backed the Tories in 2010, so sometimes can be in a right wing alliance too
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/16/andrew-marr-hints-bbc-exit-impartiality-frustrations/

Andrew Marr hints at BBC exit over impartiality frustrations

The presenter warned he may soon find it 'very, very hard' to carry on being neutral on political issues

I’m sure the £360,000 a year goes a long way to softening the frustration.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Genealogy is always fun.

One of my cousins has researched my Dad’s family back to the 1540s… I’ve been more interested in my Mum’s side as a result.

I only learnt a couple of weeks ago, for example, that in the 1900s/1910s (different) family members were the head of Sinn Fein and the head of the Irish/Ulster Unionists*

Couldn't lose with that family tree then in Ireland
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Charles said:

Genealogy is always fun.
    Charles can now trace his back 400 million years, all the way to a royal Scottish amoeba called Brian....
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,769
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Just for a bit of fun:

Lab 32.1%
    LD 11.6%
    SNP 3.9%
    Green 2.7%
    SF 0.6%
    PC 0.5%
    APNI 0.4%
    SDLP 0.4%
    Yorks 0.1%
    Scots Green 0.1%

TOTAL 52.4%

Con 43.6%
    Brexit 2.0%
    DUP 0.8%
    UUP 0.3%
    UKIP 0.1%

TOTAL 46.8%

Though of course the LDs backed the Tories in 2010, so sometimes can be in a right wing alliance too
    Anyone who thinks the whole LD support would go to the Labour Party as part of a "progressive alliance" is certifiable.

That being said, the LDs will probably benefit from tactical voting in the future. The table above gives their "path to 20 seats"
  • tlg86 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/16/andrew-marr-hints-bbc-exit-impartiality-frustrations/

The presenter warned he may soon find it 'very, very hard' to carry on being neutral on political issues

Marr? neutral?

Bloody hell!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Floater said:

WTAF!!!!

The airline has had to reduce flights to the country since it was red-listed
    but is still currently operating seven flights a week to Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.

The mind truly boggles.
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Genealogy is always fun.

Couldn't lose with that family tree then in Ireland
    The only way to win a civil war is to support both sides…

Charles said:

Genealogy is always fun.
    Charles can now trace his back 400 million years, all the way to a royal Scottish amoeba called Brian....
    Very very nearly right 🤣🤣

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Boru
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    tlg86 said:

Less worried about his "neutrality". More him being not very good. Same with Laura K.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Have any overseas residents with NHS numbers got their vaccines in this country? Can you just book through the website?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Mortimer said:

Me; 34, so won't be in the next cohort. Should only be a week or so till I can book, though!
    Keep pinging the NHS booking site, it is very common to be able to book several days in advance of any public announcement.

I think I booked mine 3 days before the government actually announced my age cohort should come forward.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited May 2021
    tlg86 said:

I don't understand why people in pretty much any job would find it hard to be politically neutral, professionally speaking. Even teachers or nurses complaining about the government is pretty easy to make non-partisan, since the core complaints seem to be the same whoever is in power.

I particularly don't understand someone working as a BBC broadcaster finding it frustrating - if you'd been in the business for more than a few years I'd think you'd know if you could stomach buttoning your lip or not.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Genealogy is always fun.

I'd thought it might be interesting to see if Dad's family had left Ireland around the Irish Civil War time as Dad thought, as we could have found them in the historic Irish census records.

I haven't yet looked into my Mum's Dad's family, but I believe that he was descended from Orangemen. And quite proud of it..
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I don't understand why people in pretty much any job would find it hard to be politically neutral, professionally speaking. Even teachers or nurses complaining about the government is pretty easy to make non-partisan, since the core complaints seem to be the same whoever is in power.

I particularly don't understand someone working as a BBC broadcaster finding it frustrating - if you'd be in the business for more than a few years I'd think you'd know if you could stomach buttoning your lip or not.
    I am sure they can find somebody far better for a lot less money....

Charles said:

Charles said:

Genealogy is always fun.

I'd thought it might be interesting to see if Dad's family had left Ireland around the Irish Civil War time as Dad thought, as we could have found them in the historic Irish census records.

I haven't yet looked into my Mum's Dad's family, but I believe that he was descended from Orangemen. And quite proud of it..
    Enjoy the digging! It’s like a jigsaw puzzle

Charles said:

Charles said:

Genealogy is always fun.

One of the problems of genealogy is indeed the ICW - the destruction of the Four Courts. Lots of family records were lost then ...
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I particularly don't understand someone working as a BBC broadcaster finding it frustrating - if you'd be in the business for more than a few years I'd think you'd know if you could stomach buttoning your lip or not.
    GB news is rumoured to start broadcasting on the 31st May

That should be an interesting launch

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Dickhead wanders off

It wasn't reported
    Its appalling how the innocent can fall foul of the law. The law is an ass.
    True I have a six months suspended on my record and 12 stitches for stopping someone glassing a barmaid because all his mates supported his story
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    tlg86 said:

Chicken feed, in the words of a leading financial commentator.
  • MaffewMaffew Posts: 235

Mortimer said:

Keep pinging the NHS booking site, it is very common to be able to book several days in advance of any public announcement.

I think I booked mine 3 days before the government actually announced my age cohort should come forward.
    I plan to start doing this soon (33 years old). Do you happen to know whether the front page (which gives the age limit) changes too, or if you have to go through and enter your details?
    edited May 2021
    Maffew said:

Mortimer said:

I plan to start doing this soon (33 years old). Do you happen to know whether the front page (which gives the age limit) changes too, or if you have to go through and enter your details?
    No the front page will still say you need to be older than x until the government make the announcement, but the backend gets updates several days before.

So, just ignore what it says, put your NHS number in it will then either say no we aren't doing you yet or yes fine where would you like your jab.

Some might say that is being a bit naughty, but up to you. I didn't feel guilty about doing it, as it isn't like there is a massive shortage of doses and really all you are doing is getting in a couple of days early and befote the stampede of everybody trying to book at the moment Hancock says come on down.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,769
    Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Dickhead wanders off

It wasn't reported
    I wish someone would steal our dogs.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Andy_JS said:

Floater said:

WTAF!!!!

We need to go down the Australian / NZ route on this.
    We don't want to upset Modi or WHO or the media or the holiday obsessives.

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

GB news is rumoured to start broadcasting on the 31st May

That should be an interesting launch
    Potentially mere days or weeks before the UAP report is made by the DoD to Congress. Fascinating how little covered this has been in the UK media. Perhaps GB News will break the mould and give it the focus it deserves.

At which point everyone here will forget I ever mentioned it, much like it’s been widely forgotten that I gave repeated advice here in the dark days of q3 2020 that the Oxford vaccine was going to be a staggering success story and everyone should chill out.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Dickhead wanders off

It wasn't reported
    :D:D
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Given that over half of the people currently in hospital in Bolton are anti-vaxxers is there any reason why that wouldn't apply to the rest of the country ?
    edited May 2021
    Maffew said:

Mortimer said:

It should say which "cohorts" are eligible. You can enter your NHS number and postcode, OR your name, DOB, and postcode. It will also ask you if you have had a recent 'flu jab, or have one booked in the near future. Then it will confirm postcode a second time to give you the list of vaccine centres close to you and what dates are available.

Note you can choose a different postcode to the one that you are registered with your GP (in case you have moved house or job recently, for example).
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Dickhead wanders off

It wasn't reported
    You can probably hire someone complete with ransom demands
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Given that over half of the people currently in hospital in Bolton are anti-vaxxers is there any reason why that wouldn't apply to the rest of the country ?

Dunno. Let's ask the SAGE team who seriously believe that 20,000 people are day will be hospitalised in July.
This discussion has been closed.