Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Annalena Baerbock to succeed Merkel? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2021 in General
imageAnnalena Baerbock to succeed Merkel? – politicalbetting.com

Finland has one. New Zealand has one. Is Germany about to join the list of countries with young, dynamic female premiers breathing new life into democratic politics?

Read the full story here

Comments

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    Primus inter pares.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    No thread on best albums of the 1990s ?
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    third :) ?
  • FossFoss Posts: 694

Why? We all know nothing could beat 'The Smurfs Go Pop!'
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

My very first gig was Blur, at the BIC, in December 2003.

They didn't do another one for over five years.

I really did think I was born too late....
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,250
    Your first daily reminder, that you ALL called me a hysterical gusset-wetter for speculating that lockdown might be extended, due to Indian Covid

This was just two hours ago

Now, according to the Telegraph, an extension of lockdown is a "tough call". You could argue that this is journalistic hyperbole, but the Telegraph is, shall we say, not unconnected to the prime ministerial mind

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/johnson-faces-tough-call-mondays-reopening-indian-variant-cases/

• isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited May 2021
    Mortimer said:

I had tickets for Blur at Mile End Park and Oasis at Earl’s Court in 95 & didn’t end up seeing either. A great time to be a teenager/early 20s if you like Beer, football and Guitar bands

But my fav album of the 90s by far was Nirvana’s Nevermind.

I did see Oasis at Knebworth, blur & Weller at Chelmsford and Black Grape at Brixton though, but the two I missed were quite legendary concerts I think.
    Leon said:

Your first daily reminder, that you ALL called me a hysterical gusset-wetter for speculating that lockdown might be extended, due to Indian Covid

Now, according to the Telegraph, an extension of lockdown is a "tough call". You could argue that this is journalistic hyperbole, but the Telegraph is, shall we say, not unconnected to the prime ministerial mind

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/johnson-faces-tough-call-mondays-reopening-indian-variant-cases/

I didn't. That weekly doubling stat was very interesting.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:

Clickbait, ignore.

On the more important topic of best albums from the 90s, sorry to be unpatriotic but my favourite is an American one - Bat Out Of Hell II.
    Leon said:

PS Sudden thought. Your rhetoric naggingly (the memory, not the style!) reminds me of an old school colleague. Just to make sure: the words "beaver's arsehole" don't mean anything out of the ordinary to you, do they, please?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
    Leon said:

I didn't call you it, I was just thinking it very hard.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,242
    Clearly after long reign of Mutti, Germans have zero problem with eine Bundeskanzlerin.

Think that Greens led by Baerbock have a real fighting chance of ending up as the greasy poll of German politics, and forming the next government in coalition with ______?

My own thought is that it would likely be best for them & her to hook up with the Union.

My other thought is that die Linke is flirting with NOT making 5% nationally, though they'd still win some constituency seat IF that happens, nicht wahr?

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

I had tickets for Blur at Mile End Park and Oasis at Earl’s Court in 95 & didn’t end up seeing either. A great time to be a teenager/early 20s if you like Beer, football and Guitar bands

I did see Oasis at Knebworth, blur & Weller at Chelmsford and Black Grape at Brixton though, but the two I missed were quite legendary concerts I think.
    I saw the whole “Big 5”: Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Supergrass and indeed Radiohead. Several times in some cases.

I actually managed to see a Michael Jackson concert once. When I say this, younger people look at me as if I was at the Battle of Gettysburg.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited May 2021
    Mortimer said:

Roxy Music, 1973, with Brian Eno in Plymouth Guild Hall.

PS Underworld (2nd Toughest In Infants) is what I still listen to from the 90s
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,882
    Leon said:

Those graphs seem to ignore the vaccination programme. Assuming max is right, and he has been mostly on the nail, by mid June we will be significantly further on with the dosing. I cannot see where there hospitalisations are going to come from. That’s been the point of most at risk first. Once again we are seeing the press/media finding stories to sell papers. And drive a narrative.

isam said:

Mortimer said:

I saw the whole “Big 5”: Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Supergrass and indeed Radiohead. Several times in some cases.

I actually managed to see a Michael Jackson concert once. When I say this, younger people look at me as if I was at the Battle of Gettysburg.
    I'm afraid that is inevitable. Stomping around with the Dilophosaurus and Stegosaurus.

Did you ever go to see a Jimmy Savile event? And how do the juniors react?
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

It was arguably closer to tripling. Exponential to the max

It is actually difficult to see how they can avoid extending lockdown. Why take the risk?

We are maybe eight weeks from near-total vaccination. What does 8 weeks of pubgoing and hotel-visiting gain us, if, by staying locked down instead, we definitely avoid another catastrophic third wave that shuts the entire country for months, and kills tens of thousands?

It will be brutally cruel for the hospitality industry - and me - but it makes ruthless sense. I can easily see them doing it.

As the Telegraph says, it is a Tough Call
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

I'm afraid that is inevitable. Stomping around with the Dilophosaurus and Stegosaurus.

Ha.

I grew up in NZ. We did not get Jimmy Savile.

Carnyx said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

Ha.

Thank goodness.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

It is actually difficult to see how they can avoid extending lockdown. Why take the risk?

We are maybe eight weeks from near-total vaccination. What does 8 weeks of pubgoing and hotel-visiting gain us, if, by staying locked down instead, we definitely avoid another catastrophic third wave that shuts the entire country for months, and kills tens of thousands?

It will be brutally cruel for the hospitality industry - and me - but it makes ruthless sense. I can easily see them doing it.

The biggest problem for the government? They let it in.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631

isam said:

Mortimer said:

If you think Michael Jackson concert makes young people look at you like that try telling them you saw adam and the ants on the dirk wears white sox tour before they turned to crap
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Best albums of the 1990s... (only picking one per band):

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Moby - Everything is Wrong
    Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    FPT
    Damn. I almost didn't comment on this thread and not just because work has kept me busy to an unreasonable hour.

Cyclefree once again holds our hypocrisy, arrogance and delusions to the fire and my toes are burning. I really, really struggle to have sympathy with IRA bastards who murdered so many of our people or their fellow travellers. I have an instinctive sympathy for soldiers doing their job for us under enormous stress having been trained within an inch of their lives to respond extremely and disproportionately violently to any threat. I remember my late father telling me that quite a number of officers in Germany resigned their commissions, so appalled were they that the Paras had been let loose on a British street. They should never have been there, that is not what they were trained for.

I want to make excuses but I can't. If this is indeed a country that respects justice and the rule of law as opposed to being hypocritical about it we must, absolutely must, be rigorous in investigating and punishing our men when they fall below the high standards that we claim to set ourselves. I hate it but she is right. We have let ourselves down badly in investigating our dirty war (and it was a war, even although we pretended otherwise). Justice delayed is justice denied and the delays here are egregious and wrong. Bugger.

Ha, had I waited just a couple of minutes more I could have avoided posting this. Double bugger.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,921
    edited May 2021
    I wouldn't mind doing it Baerbock with Annalena.

How do I tell her that, because of the unfreezing process, I have no inner-monologue...?
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

What you are missing is musical taste possibly?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

Without question. Nevermind changed music.

Different Class might be the best British Album of the nineties.

Screamadelica would be up there on the list too IMO.

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

The soundtrack to Trainspotting...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarium_(Aqua_album)
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Educate me.
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Yes. Indeed

IIRC I said on this site that if Boris' "lax" attitude to the border - specifically with India in this case - led to another lockdown, I would never vote Tory again

I stand by that
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,921
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith & Devotion
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    I see Scotland has an open invitation to illegal immigrants (in general - the case of the two men involved is unknown):

https://twitter.com/PaulJSweeney/status/1392819321747951616?s=20
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2021
    Given the suggestions so far, I am not sure you would want me to be controlling the spotify when asked for best music from the 90s.....

Of those mentioned Nirvana - Nevermind is about the only one I was listening to at that point.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Automatic for the People is a lot better than Monster
    edited May 2021

I see Scotland has an open invitation to illegal immigrants (in general - the case of the two men involved is unknown):

That's a Labour MSP and he's got it wrong.

Police Scotland had to intervene to prevent serious problems when some HO types rocked up on the first day of Eid (and with some other political timings too, though I'm not sure they were alert enough to Scotland to realise that) to take a couple of gents away. I believe that the HO types kept them in the van for a whole day, but may be wrong.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Sleeper - It Girl
    Beautiful South - Blue is the Colour & Miaow
    Don't know if this will impress (probably not) but yours truly once got Doc Watson do a request at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

He & his band were near the end of their show, when Doc asked the crowd, "What should we play now?"

People starting shouting out suggestions. I was toward the back of the throng - this was outdoors at the Fairgrounds race track - and started booming out, "TENNESSEE STUD!!"

Did this a few times. Then Doc turned to the band, and they struck up . . . Tennessee Stud.

Doc watson - Tennessee Stud (written by Jimmy Driftwood)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_1wOQnLh6A
    Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

If you think Michael Jackson concert makes young people look at you like that try telling them you saw adam and the ants on the dirk wears white sox tour before they turned to crap
    Or The Velvet Underground. Or Lynyrd Skynyrd before the plane crash.
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Suede - Dog Man Star
    RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Sleeper - It Girl
    Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    TimT said:

Mortimer said:

Rasputin is in the charts at no 18 right now.
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Yes. Indeed

IIRC I said on this site that if Boris' "lax" attitude to the border - specifically with India in this case - led to another lockdown, I would never vote Tory again

I stand by that
    So here we are. We have arrived at exactly the toughest moment of the relaxation. Cases have not even started to go up yet (perhaps just about increasing, but the bank holiday has confused things a tad). Hospitalisation down week on week, deaths lower than 10 per day. Vaccinating those 38 and 39 now. In 6 weeks we’ll be all adults first dosed. Yes there is concern about a new variant, but I strongly suspect a lot of the cases are in schools. It certainly isn’t translating into hospital cases (yet). Time to hold the nerve. The plan was to protect the most vulnerable. We have done that. Sure cases might rise among the young, but they won’t die(mostly). We are at risk of jumping at shadows.
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

Massive Attack - Blue Lines
    Beck - Odelay (but prefer Midnite Vultures)
    U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Air - Moon Safari
    Belle & Sebastián - Boy with the Arab Strap
    Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind
    Buena Vista Social Club OST
    Suede - Suede
    Roots - Things Fall Apart

Edit: Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic!

Carnyx said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

Ha.

In the year that I was in Christchurch, I got to see a few gigs that I wouldn't have got to otherwise, including Elton John and Kiri Te Kanawa. Not many made it that far south, but when they did, you could get tickets.

My first gig was UFO at Southampton Gaumont. Heavy Metal Heaven.
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Automatic for the People is a lot better than Monster
    Sadly it contains "Everybody Hurts" and is therefore ineligible for consideration.

I wouldn't mind doing it Baerbock with Annalena.

How do I tell her that, because of the unfreezing process, I have no inner-monologue...?

First step - NEVER allow her to see this post!

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede
    And a massive, glaring omission:

Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Sleeper - It Girl
    I forgot about Beautiful South, good call.

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede
    I struggle with Belle & Sebastian. I think that I should like them but get bored after about 3 songs

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Oh yes. Really terrible omission from me.
    Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Mortimer said:

Always had a soft spot for Boney M, even though I was not into 'pop' - took my music seriously in those days.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

That the 80s was better than the 90s

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Oh I forgot Buena Vista - and I was thinking about Ry Cooder albums from the 90s but all the really great stuff he did apart from BVSC was back in the 70s and early 80s.
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede
    I struggle with Belle & Sebastian. I think that I should like them but get bored after about 3 songs
    I'm like that with Beck. I feel like I should like him. But he bores me senseless.
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Possibly the most overrated album of all time.

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Air - Moon Safari is good, but not that good.

And no "best album" list should ever contain any U2.
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede
    As with a man who doesn’t drink, I don’t trust people who don’t like B&S.

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Oh I forgot Buena Vista - and I was thinking about Ry Cooder albums from the 90s but all the really great stuff he did apart from BVSC was back in the 70s and early 80s.
    I liked Borderline a lot.
    TimT said:

Mortimer said:

Very, very jealous.

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Yes. Indeed

I stand by that
    So here we are. We have arrived at exactly the toughest moment of the relaxation. Cases have not even started to go up yet (perhaps just about increasing, but the bank holiday has confused things a tad). Hospitalisation down week on week, deaths lower than 10 per day. Vaccinating those 38 and 39 now. In 6 weeks we’ll be all adults first dosed. Yes there is concern about a new variant, but I strongly suspect a lot of the cases are in schools. It certainly isn’t translating into hospital cases (yet). Time to hold the nerve. The plan was to protect the most vulnerable. We have done that. Sure cases might rise among the young, but they won’t die(mostly). We are at risk of jumping at shadows.
    Largely true.

But my point is more related to the psychology of those in government. How many rulers around the world have been praised for their relaxed, laissez-faire approach to the virus?

None. Not even Sweden, any more

The only governments that have prospered have been those which clamped down hard and early. NZ, Oz, East Asia, Germany (at first). The vaccine has offered a 2nd life to some, but that now risks being squandered

Given that we have stopped worrying about debt, the tendency will always be to err on the side of caution. With a new variant growing exponentially, and a "question mark" over its susceptibility to vaccines, the easy move is to keep us locked down

I imagine they are arguing this intensely, in Downing Street, right now

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede
    As with a man who doesn’t drink, I don’t trust people who don’t like B&S.
    I listen to music while doing other things & they aren’t good background as you need to concentrate on the drone
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Educate me.
    sighs now I have to check what was released in the 90's

The colour and the shape by Foo fighters
    Dookie by Green day
    Good stuff by the B52's
    Hitler bad vandals good by the vandals
    There is nothing left to lose by Foo fighters
    Throttle junkies by soil
    From here to eternity live by the clash
    Anything by the damned
    System of a down by System of a down
    Welcome to the park by Abney park
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Possibly the most overrated album of all time.
    Quite a claim....

My first album. Much less embarrassing than my first single (2 become 1. On tape....)

Leon said:

Clickbait, ignore.

On the more important topic of best albums from the 90s, sorry to be unpatriotic but my favourite is an American one - Bat Out Of Hell II.
    Really?? One really good song on the album. I think I would go for Urban Hymns by the Verve, Bittersweet, The drugs don't work, Sonnet, it had enough good songs to top out (having discovered, to my horror, that nearly all of my favourite albums are from the 80s not the 90s)
    Thanks for the music reminders guys - just added a fair few to my vinyl collection.
    edited May 2021
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

PS Sudden thought. Your rhetoric naggingly (the memory, not the style!) reminds me of an old school colleague. Just to make sure: the words "beaver's arsehole" don't mean anything out of the ordinary to you, do they, please?
    And - I now realise - I need to explain this is not aimed at you, but relates to a memorable argument my colleaguer and I had in class once.
    TimT said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

I can admit I guess to having seen mungo jerry live
    Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Yes. Indeed

I stand by that
    Largely true.

But my point is more related to the psychology of those in government. How many rulers around the world have been praised for their relaxed, laissez-faire approach to the virus?

The only governments that have prospered have been those which clamped down hard and early. NZ, Oz, East Asia, Germany (at first). The vaccine has offered a 2nd life to some, but that now risks being squandered

Given that we have stopped worrying about debt, the tendency will always be to err on the side of caution. With a new variant growing exponentially, and a "question mark" over its susceptibility to vaccines, the easy move is to keep us locked down

I totally understand your point, but I also think they fear the reaction were they to delay pub and hug day. I don’t think they will, rather they will pour resource (tests and vaccines) into the dodgiest areas.

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Mortimer said:

It is a TikTok hit I think.

So Tonight That I Might See by Mazzy Star is the nineties album that I play most often. The languid dream pop is perfect.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Air - Moon Safari is good, but not that good.

And no "best album" list should ever contain any U2.
    U2 went from being the world’s best band to the world‘s worst band about one minute after Achtung Baby was released.
    Pagan2 said:

TimT said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

I can admit I guess to having seen mungo jerry live
    I saw F W de Klerk perform live…
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited May 2021
    Carnyx said:

That's a Labour MSP and he's got it wrong.

Police Scotland had to intervene to prevent serious problems when some HO types rocked up on the first day of Eid (and with some other political timings too, though I'm not sure they were alert enough to Scotland to realise that) to take a couple of gents away. I believe that the HO types kept them in the van for a whole day, but may be wrong.
    This do you?

Sturgeon re-tweeted:

https://twitter.com/HumzaYousaf/status/1392880965228314625?s=20

"To take this action at any time in Scotland is unwelcome"
    Mortimer said:

Thanks for the music reminders guys - just added a fair few to my vinyl collection.

Music is a very personal thing I doubt there can ever be a definitive top 10 best
    Looks like regional restrictions?

Aubrey Allegretti
    @breeallegretti
    Stark warning issued by DHSC tonight, in light of India variant’s spread:

“We cannot rule out re-imposing economic and social restrictions at a local or regional level if evidence suggests they are necessary to contain or suppress a variant which escapes the vaccine.”
    Cookie said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Sleeper - It Girl
    Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
    I listened to that just a few weeks ago and apart from Wake Up Boo which just sounds silly, it holds up remarkably well.
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

I already said Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell II but if you're only counting bands

Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion I

Worth a mention for November Rain and Don't Cry alone.
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Mortimer said:

It is a TikTok hit I think.

So Tonight That I Might See by Mazzy Star is the nineties album that I play most often. The languid dream pop is perfect.

I have to say alestorms cover of "In the navy" was a lot better than the original
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Ian McNabb - Head Like a Rock
    More:

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    ·
    7m

10m people could receive their second jabs early amid mounting concern about the spread of the Indian variant of coronavirus

The rollout for the over-50s could be accelerated to protect the most vulnerable

There’s concern June 21 phase of roadmap could be delayed
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    Time for me to wheel out my 'Lefty Cred" anecdote that I saw The Redskins live.
    sarissa said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Ian McNabb - Head Like a Rock
    It has to be said though the 90's was a bit of a musical desert
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

Nevermind is a superb album by any measure. Yet for me album of the 1990s will always be Blue Lines by Massive Attack. I have played it to the point that hearing it now is too evocative to be comfortable.

isam said:

Mortimer said:

You're trying to tell us that younger people actually know anything about the battle of Gettysburg? I would have loved to see Michael Jackson. He was a pedophile and deeply disturbed but what an artist. So many great songs but in terms of videos (thriller excepted natch) They don't care about us was just genius.
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Early Ry Cooder is superb.
    His last album “Prodigal Son” shows he’s still got it.
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Educate me.

Dookie by Green day
    Good stuff by the B52's
    Throttle junkies by soil
    Anything by the damned
    See, we do agree on a few things:

The Foo Fighters and The Clash.

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Shite music taste, shite political opinions.
    There’s a definite correlation.
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Since you asked:

U2 - Achtung Baby
    Bjork - Debut
    Air - Moon Safari
    Suede - Suede

Great album. But came out in 1980.

I saw Rocking Ry on the Get Rhythm tour, a week before seeing Springsteen at Bramall Lane in Sheffield. That was definitely a week to remember.
    Man Utd 2 - 4 Liverpool

That'll do nicely. A game in hand now, 4 behind Chelsea, 6 behind Leicester, but those two need to play each other so its still in our hands now.

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Yes. Indeed

I stand by that
    Largely true.

I totally understand your point, but I also think they fear the reaction were they to delay pub and hug day. I don’t think they will, rather they will pour resource (tests and vaccines) into the dodgiest areas.
    I have a horrible feeling they will do their normal shit. Fuck it up

They will allow the pub-opening on Monday, then they will look at the Indian Variant data next Thursday, and they will panic, and then close everything again

like Christmas, redux

It is no exaggeration to say Boris could fall, over this. He is so tied to the vaccine success. If the Tories are seen to have squandered it, thru their insane open borders policy (why? why? why?) then he might be gone in a year or less

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

I always think of the Mary Whitehouse Experience gag whenever someone mentions Use Your Illusion 1.
    The very few dance fans on here will h/t Dubnobasswithmyheadman by Underworld. Still goes down today.

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

That the 80s was better than the 90s
    The 70s was better than any other decade for music. Or at least a very extended 70s from around 1968 to 1981
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Educate me.

Dookie by Green day
    Good stuff by the B52's
    Throttle junkies by soil
    Anything by the damned
    See, we do agree on a few things:

The Foo Fighters and The Clash.
    Saw the foofighters at the glasgow sessions in 2019, they can still perform. Took a friend who had seeing the foofighters on her bucket list but never really thought she would have the chance
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,042
    Jane Merrick
    @janemerrick23
    ·
    1h
    Really striking to see B1617.2’s increase here in a short space of time

https://twitter.com/janemerrick23/status/1392923550852517890
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Clickbait, ignore.

Really?? One really good song on the album. I think I would go for Urban Hymns by the Verve, Bittersweet, The drugs don't work, Sonnet, it had enough good songs to top out (having discovered, to my horror, that nearly all of my favourite albums are from the 80s not the 90s)
    Good album. Sonnet is a great track.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,281
    Airdrie and Shotts is counting tonight according to Matt Singh.
    Fraser Knight
    @Fraser_Knight
    ·
    1m
    Warning from Health Secretary the government will not hesitate to take further action to get Indian variant under control.

All positive tests in London are also now going to be prioritised for sequencing to see if they’re a result of a mutation.

++++

Can a Tory, any Tory, please explain the open borders policy?? What the fucking holy fuck was gained by allowing flights from India for an extra three weeks?

WHAT???
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

Oh yes. Really terrible omission from me.
    Massive Attack / Blue Lines.

This discussion has been closed.