Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Annalena Baerbock to succeed Merkel? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,864
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Fraser Knight
    @Fraser_Knight
    ·
    1m
    Warning from Health Secretary the government will not hesitate to take further action to get Indian variant under control.

All positive tests in London are also now going to be prioritised for sequencing to see if they’re a result of a mutation.

++++

Can a Tory, any Tory, please explain the open borders policy?? What the fucking holy fuck was gained by allowing flights from India for an extra three weeks?

WHAT???

They seem to have a problem with the idea of immediately closing borders, as if they're afraid of offending people who might not be able to get back to the UK. But stopping new variants from entering the country is surely more important.
    When will they learn that despite the media running the "hard luck" stories, the public are basically we have no sympathy....what were you doing travelling for a wedding or for a social media photoshoot....
    Australia and NZ are absolutely brutal to their citizens abroad. No, you aren't getting back in, No you're stuck. Try and get back in and you face
    a massive fine and prison

It is savage and it is massively popular. They have kept out the virus - along with tens of thousands of their own people. I do not understand why a Tory government in the UK is so limitlessly pathetic
    Australia has treated its own citizens abominably. And it has ballsed up vaccine procurement. It’s in serious danger of becoming an economic & cultural bubble.

Worry not about cases Leon, who cares if they don’t lead to illness? Wu-flu was a novel virus, which is why the world had its pants pulled down. Indian covid is not a novel virus but a variant of a virus that we’re fast headed to having 90% of immune systems trained to respond to.

It’ll be fine. If unlockdown is delayed I’ll be asking my mp to write a letter, not because of border policy but an inability to distinguish prevalence of a virus from illness.
    Sure, I agree with most of that

Problem is we still have enough people unvaxxed - the young, the refuseniks - such that, if a new variant ran riot, it would really impact the NHS, and kill - I dunno - another 20,000? 50,000?

These are not small things. We would lock down again for sure if hundreds were dying every day. The social psychology would ensure this

We approach a moment when we might have to make the jab mandatory. Or at least engineer a situation where you can't do ANYTHING without a jab

I don’t really understand squeamishness about mandatory vaccination given everything else imposed on us in the last year. If any fucker refuses it, you are cast to that rocky island near Ireland where bearded Luke Skywalker lived.

Yes, it's mad. JFDI
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    rcs1000 said:
    The Best Album in the World Ever covers off this convo.

And I’d like to put in a vote for K and Jollification.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Fraser Knight
    @Fraser_Knight
    ·
    1m
    Warning from Health Secretary the government will not hesitate to take further action to get Indian variant under control.

All positive tests in London are also now going to be prioritised for sequencing to see if they’re a result of a mutation.

++++

Can a Tory, any Tory, please explain the open borders policy?? What the fucking holy fuck was gained by allowing flights from India for an extra three weeks?

WHAT???

They seem to have a problem with the idea of immediately closing borders, as if they're afraid of offending people who might not be able to get back to the UK. But stopping new variants from entering the country is surely more important.
    When will they learn that despite the media running the "hard luck" stories, the public are basically we have no sympathy....what were you doing travelling for a wedding or for a social media photoshoot....
    Australia and NZ are absolutely brutal to their citizens abroad. No, you aren't getting back in, No you're stuck. Try and get back in and you face a massive fine and prison

It is savage and it is massively popular. They have kept out the virus - along with tens of thousands of their own people. I do not understand why a Tory government in the UK is so limitlessly pathetic
    How are those stranded abroad surviving?

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Can't believe I missed a convo about music and I also missed @Chris' therapy session.

Blimmin' heck so much amazing 80s music. I haven't followed every post but if Let's Dance hasn't been mentioned as the then latest incarnation of the thin white Duke then you should all be ashamed of yourselves.
  • Options
    Music really has been the saving grace of lockdown. Amazon Music for me. Fantastic.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    My top 10 Albums of the 90s

Pills, Thrills & Bellyaches
    Nevermind
    Modern Life Is Rubbish
    Everybody Else is doing it, So why can’t we?
    Wild Wood
    Parklife
    Definitely Maybe
    Urban Hymns
    Nirvana Unplugged in New York
    Stanley Road
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Barnesian said:

I took my young teenage daughter to see Nik Kershaw at the Hippodrome in Hammersmith in the early 80s. (Won't let the sun go down on me).

I was sitting about three rows from the front in front of an enormous black box about twenty feet high. It dominated that side of the stage. When the "music" started and the drummer drummed I was hit in the stomach with the volume of sound. It was a loudspeaker. I doubled up and crouched with my raincoat over my head while all these very young teenage girls screamed around me including my daughter. I went to the bar in the interval and stayed there.

Many years later my daughter took me to a Tina Turner concert and then later to a Stones concert as a thank you.

I saw the Scorpions in about 1980, in the front by the barrier, with a crowd of headbangers pressing me forward so that my head was nearly inside the speaker stack. I couldn't hear for days.
  • Options
    isam said:

My top 10 Albums of the 90s

Pills, Thrills & Bellyaches
    Nevermind
    Modern Life Is Rubbish
    Everybody Else is doing it, So why can’t we?
    Wild Wood
    Parklife
    Definitely Maybe
    Urban Hymns
    Nirvana Unplugged in New York
    Stanley Road

Wot no Big Calm!?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    I suspect that the best way of encouraging the anti-vaxxers to get vaccinated would be if thousands of them died in the next few weeks.

It would be good to see data on the proportion of the non-vaccinated who are now being infected / hospitalised / dying.
  • Options
    It begins. This is toxic, and, I think, fatal for Boris if it sets in as a narrative and we face prolonged lockdownery

"Boris slammed for acting ‘too late’ as cases of Indian variant double in a week V

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/13/boris-slammed-for-being-too-slow-to-act-against-indian-variant-as-cases-double-14577613/?ito=article.mweb.share.top.twitter?ito=cbshare

"
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

I suspect that the best way of encouraging the anti-vaxxers to get vaccinated would be if thousands of them died in the next few weeks.

It would be good to see data on the proportion of the non-vaccinated who are now being infected / hospitalised / dying.

It’s infuriating that this isn’t the lead data item
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Leon said:

It begins. This is toxic, and, I think, fatal for Boris if it sets in as a narrative and we face prolonged lockdownery

"Boris slammed for acting ‘too late’ as cases of Indian variant double in a week V

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/13/boris-slammed-for-being-too-slow-to-act-against-indian-variant-as-cases-double-14577613/?ito=article.mweb.share.top.twitter?ito=cbshare

"

He failed to shut the borders for many months last year and it didn't seem to affect his popularity.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

"

Sure but Starmer ain't Blair circa 1996.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpZhugomNJE
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Leon said:

"

The electorate won't be happy if Boris has to do a press conference tomorrow to cancel Stage 3.

But it does look like complete COVID meltdown.
  • Options
    Appalling level of debate on Question Time. Switch off.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rcs1000 said:
    No you already named Radiohead ...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    Mortimer said:

Massive/Hymn of the Big Wheel

just given way to Lamb/Gorecki on the Anabob HiFi.

Spotify Radio? That was on my list too....
    Actually Apple Music - I’ve got three months free so am testing it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

"

He failed to shut the borders for many months last year and it didn't seem to affect his popularity.
    This *feels* different. Ample warning, absolutely no excuse

We shall see
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

You could have said the same anytime during the last twenty years.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Indian variant isn’t vaccine resistant. So surge vax in the high prevalence areas and move on.

Yeah it's just more transmissible. Which makes sense, Covid variants are so widespread and constantly evolving the highest transmission ones will always win out - don't forget most of the world isn't vaxxed right now.

Basically it means you just need a higher rate of vaccination/prior infection to achieve herd immunity, we're one of the few large countries in the world that's going to hit anything like what's needed. But we're getting there, and very fast compared to other nations.
    One thing, it's going to be rough to be an antivaxxer with this new strain - the refuseniks in their 60s + around Bolton are probably fucked.
    Yes, this is the key point. I wonder if anyone will listen...?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Andy_JS said:

Its just need taking round the back and putting out of its misery.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Best albums of the 1990s... (only picking one per band):

Radiohead - The Bends
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pulp - Different Class
    Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    REM - Monster
    Portishead - Dummy
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Moby - Everything is Wrong
    Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
    Pearl Jam - 10

What am I missing?

I already said Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell II but if you're only counting bands

Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion I

Worth a mention for November Rain and Don't Cry alone.
    Any album with November Rain on it is definitely in the top 3. Probably the best rock video ever.
    Absolutely!

And easily the greatest guitar solo of 90s era.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The Indian variant isn’t vaccine resistant. So surge vax in the high prevalence areas and move on.

Yeah it's just more transmissible. Which makes sense, Covid variants are so widespread and constantly evolving the highest transmission ones will always win out - don't forget most of the world isn't vaxxed right now.

Basically it means you just need a higher rate of vaccination/prior infection to achieve herd immunity, we're one of the few large countries in the world that's going to hit anything like what's needed. But we're getting there, and very fast compared to other nations.
    One thing, it's going to be rough to be an antivaxxer with this new strain - the refuseniks in their 60s + around Bolton are probably fucked.
    Yes, this is the key point. I wonder if anyone will listen...?
    Let the anti vaxxers die. I'm done
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

"

We shall see
    But what about the CCJ, the holiday and the cushions......when some of us have been saying for a year, CLOSE THE BORDER....

Its been imported from India by for instance people travelling to India to go to funerals of people dying from COVID....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited May 2021
    Andy_JS said:

I’m enjoying it.
    Buckland plump and porcine.
    Mason shaky and sweaty.
    Nandy indignant.

Audience talking incoherent bollocks.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I’m enjoying it.
    Mason shaky and sweaty.
    Nandy indignant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tUqRBiMVo
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

But what about the CCJ, the holiday and the cushions......when some of us have been saying for a year, CLOSE THE BORDER....

Its been imported from India by for instance people travelling to India to go to funerals of people dying from COVID....

Does Boris owe an airline or airport owner a lot of money or something? Because I can not comprehend the decisions made regarding travel.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    On topic. Apologies if this has been raised, but Baerbock speaks flawless Engish, too.
    A year at High School in Florida and a Masters in Law from the LSE.
    Also on topic LTJ Bukem' s Horizons.
    Also on topic. Saw Blur first on the bill at Town and Country c. 1990. Supporting Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine and the Jesus and Mary Chain.
    They were loud. But also the quietest. Place about 5% full when they came on.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I’m enjoying it.
    Mason shaky and sweaty.
    Nandy indignant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tUqRBiMVo
    I'm watching Hitchens (Both of them), Shirley Williams and Boris Johnson from 2007 in Aldershot. Is tonight's panel any better ?
  • Options
    glw said:

Does Boris owe an airline or airport owner a lot of money or something? Because I can not comprehend the decisions made regarding travel.
    The only way I can think it has gone down like this is that the airline industry have been lobbying the government incredibly hard about what a total disaster it would be.

But we know a lockdown costs the government £10bn a week, plus potentially another £10bn from lost economic activity. When you are talking months of lockdown, they could literally pay the airlines not to fly if it meant no lockdown.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,372
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

"

Johnson's general uselessness at taking decisions had definitely cut through by last December- the polls then were level to small Labour lead.

Then vaccinations and the vaccine war happened, and the next bit of history was written.

The question is whether the vaccines made Johnson immortal, or whether they just have him another life to waste.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I’m enjoying it.
    Mason shaky and sweaty.
    Nandy indignant.

Indeed.

It’s a jamboree of heat at the expense of light.

Quintessential QT.

• Options
    glw said:

But it's not like they've saved any airlines or airports. They are all now bankrupt (absent government money)

I find it almost totally inexplicable

The best explanation I can cobble together is this

1. A Tory government greatly fears being seen as "racist" - stopping foreigners, or Brits with foreign origins, coming and going

PLUS

2. Sunak wants to save London and the London property market, so allow high net worth people to come in?

Is the best I can do
  • Options
    I still haven’t had my first jab yet, I never seem to have the time. I work all weekend and every evening, and have my son to look after every day. Bad I know.
  • Options

The only way I can think it has gone down like this is that the airline industry have been lobbying the government incredibly hard about what a total disaster it would be.

But we know a lockdown costs the government £10bn a week, plus potentially another £10bn from lost economic activity. When you are talking months of lockdown, they could literally pay the airlines not to fly if it meant no lockdown.

Exactly. But don't even pay them, there are better uses for the money right now. I do not give a damn if IAG, BAA, EasyJet and the like go to the wall. A lockdown is far more damaging. The airports aren't going anywhere, and planes can be parked. Someone else can buy the assets when it is safe to travel again.
  • Options
    Leon said:

glw said:

But it's not like they've saved any airlines or airports. They are all now bankrupt (absent government money)

I find it almost totally inexplicable

The best explanation I can cobble together is this

1. A Tory government greatly fears being seen as "racist" - stopping foreigners, or Brits with foreign origins, coming and going

PLUS

2. Sunak wants to save London and the London property market, so allow high net worth people to come in?

Is the best I can do
    3. SAGE and the WHO have been saying stopping travel doesn't stop the spread of the virus.

For a virus that spreads by travel.
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed that people aren't mentioning the daily covid data from India as much as they did a week ago ?

Perhaps because new infections have started to drop.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/india/

Yet some people will continue to extrapolate to infinity or to 900k new cases per day in the UK in June.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Fraser Knight
    @Fraser_Knight
    ·
    1m

++++

WHAT???

Australia and NZ are absolutely brutal to their citizens abroad. No, you aren't getting back in, No you're stuck. Try and get back in and you face a massive fine and prison

Are you sure?

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-international-travellers

The only people who can travel to Australia are:

Australian citizens
    permanent residents
    immediate family members
    travellers who have been in New Zealand territory (New Zealand and Tokelau) for at least the 14 days before the date of departure. This does not include the Realm Countries of the Cook Islands and Niue.

Note: From 1201 am, Monday 3 May 2021, travellers who have been in India in the 14 days prior to departure to Australia will not be permitted entry into Australia before 15 May 2021
    I should have been more precise. They enforce a real hotel quarantine

And they are super tough on the hard cases - like India

"Australians stuck overseas 'abandoned' by their own country

"On Saturday, Australia also announced it would jail anyone who attempts to return from India. For people like Mr Sharma, trying to get home is now a criminal act - punishable by five years jail or an A$66,000 (£36,800; $51,000) fine.

It's just the latest hardline action taken by the government to keep the virus out of the country. Australia has enjoyed near zero- infection rates and recorded just 910 deaths - far fewer than most other nations.

It attributes its virus success to its strict border controls and quarantine measures. But these have also locked out thousands of Australians from returning home over the course of the pandemic."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56924188
    You wrote "Australia and NZ are absolutely brutal to their citizens abroad. No, you aren't getting back in, No you're stuck."

So you can understand my confusion.
    Yes, whatever, go back to talking about Coldplay
    Well, listening to music is one of the pleasures of lockdown. 😷

Though not Coldplay, obviously.
    Pleasure, music....you obviously kept clear of Radiohead as well.
    Wary of the ban hammer, but not my cup of tea.
    Sailing close to the wind there...
    As the conductor of the Birmingham philharmonic said "someone who says they like music, who doesn't like Radiohead, doesn't like music"
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

"

We shall see

All we needed was probably another couple of months travel ban/hotel quarantine for people travelling from India and noone would have had to consider a roadmap switch or extra cases tbh.
    And we know people barely bother with home quarantine. Why was there no action ?
    Was some civil servant reading Worldometers as verbatim prevalence data ?!
  • Options

Has anyone noticed that people aren't mentioning the daily covid data from India as much as they did a week ago ?

Yet some people will continue to extrapolate to infinity or to 900k new cases per day in the UK in June.

I did that. I extrapolated to "900,000" cases a day in the UK in June

Do I believe that will happen? Of course not. Long before then we would have locked down again, and cases would fall away (also herd immunity would kick in, as the virus ran out of people to infect).

Even if the government did nothing (v unlikely) the horror show of ambulance sirens would terrify us all back into our Scottish hovels and gracious English homes, long before we reached "900,000"

I was trying to illustrate what exponential growth really means. And, at the moment, it seems we have exponential growth of Indian Variant corona cases
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499

TimT said:

Interestingly, given Chris' rant about AZN being ineffective against the Saffer strain because of the results of Phase III or that suspect trial, I just heard the head of the CDC state that all the vaccines are extremely effective against all the strains of COVID examined. She specifically mentioned Kent, Brazilian and Saffer strains.

FWIW, the new CDC guidance is that, if you are fully vaccinated, you no longer have to wear mask in supermarkets etc... unless otherwise mandated by your State, county or municipality (given community variations in infection rates etc...)

Chris will ignore that. Doesn’t match what he knows is true.
    He was doing doing one-man tribute to George Brown in modern dress.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Leon said:

"

Slammed? Now you know it's serious.
  • Options
    isam said:

I still haven’t had my first jab yet, I never seem to have the time. I work all weekend and every evening, and have my son to look after every day. Bad I know.

Your son comes first mate, and you know you'll get it at some point :)
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,372
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

"

Maybe he doesn't need to be.
    Blair was up against Major. A man in a weak position, who made some huge mistakes, who nonetheless survived a full Parliament. Like a cricketing nightwatchman.

Johnson is more the sort of batsman who will score runs while the going is good, but then get out doing something stupid, probably to a part-time spinner.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    BBC Newsnight:

Indian variant — more transmissible, but no evidence it causes more serious illness, and no evidence it's resistant to vaccines.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Which is daft because polls have repeatedly shown that the public back tough measures.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Do I believe that will happen? Of course not. Long before then we would have locked down again, and cases would fall away (also herd immunity would kick in, as the virus ran out of people to infect).

Even if the government did nothing (v unlikely) the horror show of ambulance sirens would terrify us all back into our Scottish hovels and gracious English homes, long before we reached "900,000"

I was trying to illustrate what exponential growth really means. And, at the moment, it seems we have exponential growth of Indian Variant corona cases
    You need a lot more than two data points to declare some doomsday exponential growth.

And while that growth happens, if it does happen, there are millions more vaccinations every week.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

"

Blair was up against Major. A man in a weak position, who made some huge mistakes, who nonetheless survived a full Parliament. Like a cricketing nightwatchman.

Johnson is more the sort of batsman who will score runs while the going is good, but then get out doing something stupid, probably to a part-time spinner.
    Is that the entire top order of the England Test team, and the entire England One Day and T20 teams?
  • Options

Leon said:

You need a lot more than two data points to declare some doomsday exponential growth.

And while that growth happens, if it does happen, there are millions more vaccinations every week.
    Especially when you're starting with low numbers, there's going to be major variation. Can't misread everything into being exponential growth.

Surge vaccinating the areas the virus is in makes sense though - but then given the stage of the vaccine program it makes sense even without the India virus.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    Just want to say that pubs and restaurants will already have ordered in beer and food for indoor opening. They need to if there is to be something to sell customers. If they are shut because the government has fucked up again over a new variant, it had bloody well better compensate them for the lost stock - in full. None of this fannying about with some grant in several weeks time.

Enough with this. Stop all travel. No-one goes to India or anywhere near it or comes here from there. And vaccinate everyone in sight. Night and day if necessary.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Just want to say that pubs and restaurants will already have ordered in beer and food for indoor opening. They need to if there is to be something to sell customers. If they are shut because the government has fucked up again over a new variant, it had bloody well better compensate them for the lost stock - in full. None of this fannying about with some grant in several weeks time.

Enough with this. Stop all travel. No-one goes to India or anywhere near it or comes here from there. And vaccinate everyone in sight. Night and day if necessary.

It's too late. It's here. Boris fucked up
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

My Dad helps out in the afternoons. But by the time I get an hour to myself I’m too knackered to want to go and get jabbed. Plus have to try and time it so I’m not single parenting at the time I might feel bad if there are side effects!

Looks like you can book up and get it the next day round here though, so I’m on the case
  • Options

Leon said:

Especially when you're starting with low numbers, there's going to be major variation. Can't misread everything into being exponential growth.

Surge vaccinating the areas the virus is in makes sense though - but then given the stage of the vaccine program it makes sense even without the India virus.
    Except... people were warning about the speedy growth of the Indian variant a month ago

"Mike Buckley
    @mdbuckley

11m
    This
    @FT
    graphic is from *16 April* - almost a month ago.

We can’t say we didn’t know. We knew, we ignored, we’re living the consequences. /8"

https://twitter.com/mdbuckley/status/1392966934845603842?s=20

It's a Labourite twitter-person, but his stats are sound

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Given that the government is happy for people to go to bars and restaurants in Portugal I don't see them stopping people doing so in England.

Though your second paragraph is certainly right.

There's always a chance of a far worse variant arising until covid has been crushed down throughout the world.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    On topic (with apologies to RB for ignoring his thread header until now), I can easily see the Germans going for a Green Chancellor but I think that will be the cause of massive issues within the EU going forward. If things are bad now between Germany and countries like Poland and Hungary, they will be magnitudes worse with a left wing environmentalist in power in Berlin looking to use the EU to spread her agenda.

What might be good for Germany may be further bad news for EU unity.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

My Dad helps out in the afternoons. But by the time I get an hour to myself I’m too knackered to want to go and get jabbed. Plus have to try and time it so I’m not single parenting at the time I might feel bad if there are side effects!

Looks like you can book up and get it the next day round here though, so I’m on the case
    Please do. For you AND yours. Best of luck!
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Here is the Head of the CDC today talking about vaccine effectiveness against circulating variants of COVID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4N8WtUGCe0
  • Options
    Why is this French doctor throwing away vaccines?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/57095105
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Except... people were warning about the speedy growth of the Indian variant a month ago

"Mike Buckley
    @mdbuckley

11m
    This
    @FT

We can’t say we didn’t know. We knew, we ignored, we’re living the consequences. /8"

"sound" - someone who is quoting "Independent SAGE" approvingly in his thoughts is not "sound".

Its a load of hysterical claptrap. Oh and the Tweet he's responding to is also "Independent SAGE" not real SAGE too.

Put on a fresh fair of underwear and move on.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

On topic (with apologies to RB for ignoring his thread header until now), I can easily see the Germans going for a Green Chancellor but I think that will be the cause of massive issues within the EU going forward. If things are bad now between Germany and countries like Poland and Hungary, they will be magnitudes worse with a left wing environmentalist in power in Berlin looking to use the EU to spread her agenda.

Baerbock is an enviro all right, but she's hardly leftwing with (or about) it.

And my own fearless prediction, is that she & Greens will end up in coalition with CDU/CSU either with Greens or Union ending up first in seats.

A Green - Black or Black - Green government.
  • Options
    Why was it so bad for Trump to call Covid the Chinese virus, but ok to call variants by country of origin?

Because the virus never came from China? Only reason I can think of
  • Options
    Anybody quoting (Totally not) Independent SAGE should be sent to Conservative Home for a week....
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

"Mike Buckley
    @mdbuckley

11m
    This
    @FT

"sound" - someone who is quoting "Independent SAGE" approvingly in his thoughts is not "sound".

Its a load of hysterical claptrap. Oh and the Tweet he's responding to is also "Independent SAGE" not real SAGE too.

Er, in the tweet I cite he's quoting John Burn-Murdoch, on the FT, who has been one of the very best, and most enlightening and lucid journalists throughout the pandemic (and who seems to have no agenda, other than the truth)

If PB only listened to you, there would be no problem at all facing the country, and we would be sailing into unlockdown without a care in the world. Fortunately, it has hysterical idiots like me, who can sense a danger
  • Options

Just to temper Leon bespoiling his trousers:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/13/boris-johnson-push-ahead-reopening-despite-rise-indian-variant/
    "Boris Johnson to push ahead with reopening despite rise in Indian variant cases"

But Prof Robert Dingwall, a member of Nervtag (New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group), warned against overreaction, telling the Press Association: "This may lead to a slightly higher exit wave of infection than the latest modelling suggests – but this would not be of serious illnesses. We need to stop panicking about every new variant that comes along."

I'm old enough to remember certain PBers being in abject terror of the South African variant.
  • Options
    Who is this Michelle woman on QT? She seems like a complete idiot.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    isam said:

Why was it so bad for Trump to call Covid the Chinese virus, but ok to call variants by country of origin?

Wuhan Flu has a nice ring to it.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Former Apprentice winner, been a Sky News regular panelist and I think most recently Brexit Party candidate.

Edit - Apparently she is now signed up for GB News as well.

They get the cream of the crop on QT....
  • Options
    isam said:

Because Trump's was unnecessary xenophobia. The virus was known as Coronavirus or Covid and there was literally no reason to call it the China virus except to deliberately associate it with China and pass the blame on to China.

With the rise of variants, they're only known by meaningless (to the public) code names or the identifying nation. There is no equivalent name already used like coronavirus or covid.

B.117 or B1.162.2 or whatever it is means nothing to any but either an expert or an obsessive nerd about this, hence the names by nation that mean something. That wasn't the case with original covid.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    edited May 2021
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Wasn't there supposed to be the Airdrie byelection today ?

If so this must be the most unbyelectie night ever on PB.

I keep trying to talk about it. A Labour win isn't completely impossible.
    Are they counting tonight?
    (Corrected) Yes, they are.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

"

After all, Mighty Casey DID strike out.

"There was ease in Casey's manner as he stepped into his place;
    there was pride in Casey's bearing and a smile on Casey's face.
    And when, responding to the cheers, he lightly doffed his hat,
    no stranger in the crowd could doubt 'twas Casey at the bat."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_at_the_Bat
  • Options

Former Apprentice winner, been a Sky News regular panellist and I think most recently Brexit Party candidate.

She is absolutely terrible.
  • Options

There's always a chance of a far worse variant arising until covid has been crushed down throughout the world.

Given the number of new cases worldwide the likelihood that the current Indian variants will be the worst of the lot is likely to be quite low.
  • Options

Just to temper Leon bespoiling his trousers:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/13/boris-johnson-push-ahead-reopening-despite-rise-indian-variant/
    "Boris Johnson to push ahead with reopening despite rise in Indian variant cases"

But Prof Robert Dingwall, a member of Nervtag (New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group), warned against overreaction, telling the Press Association: "This may lead to a slightly higher exit wave of infection than the latest modelling suggests – but this would not be of serious illnesses. We need to stop panicking about every new variant that comes along."

I'm old enough to remember certain PBers being in abject terror of the South African variant.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    So Israel gone into Gaza then.
  • Options

And my own fearless prediction, is that she & Greens will end up in coalition with CDU/CSU either with Greens or Union ending up first in seats.

I still see a lot of conflict coming with the countries further to the east.

That said I was pleasantly surprised to read that she is far more hawkish regarding China and Russia than the present German Government including supporting banning Huawei from the 5G network and opposing the EU investment agreements with China.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Wasn't there supposed to be the Airdrie byelection today ?

If so this must be the most unbyelectie night ever on PB.

I keep trying to talk about it. A Labour win isn't completely impossible.
    Are they counting tonight?
    No, tomorrow, I believe.
    According to BBC: "Unlike the Holyrood election though, there will be an overnight count in the by-election - with the result expected in the early hours of Friday morning."
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Former Apprentice winner, been a Sky News regular panellist and I think most recently Brexit Party candidate.

I seemed to remember she is in a relationship with Simon Jordon.....I am glad I don't move in the London circles which would involving going for a dinner parties, where I might end up with both on them attending.
  • Options

I seemed to remember she is in a relationship with Simon Jordon.....I am glad I don't move in the London circles which would involving going for a dinner parties, where I might end up with both on them attending.
    Is she the Hull lass ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"Mike Buckley
    @mdbuckley

11m
    This
    @FT

Er, in the tweet I cite he's quoting John Burn-Murdoch, on the FT, who has been one of the very best, and most enlightening and lucid journalists throughout the pandemic (and who seems to have no agenda, other than the truth)

If PB only listened to you, there would be no problem at all facing the country, and we would be sailing into unlockdown without a care in the world. Fortunately, it has hysterical idiots like me, who can sense a danger
    No in the Tweet he's responding to "Independent SAGE" Christina Pagel claiming that in her "Independent SAGE" judgement the 4th test hasn't been met. 🤦‍♂️

Then says takes it as read that this is true and says that "this was likely to happen" (as if it has happened, it hasn't, its only Independent SAGE bollocks). Then goes on to say how he's formed his opinions by, amongst others, speaking to Independent SAGE.

Then uses a month-old John Burn-Murdoch image out of context. Has John Burn-Murdoch reacted in the hysterical Independent SAGE manner you're losing your head over?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Looks like Netanyahu remains in power then, and that prospective coalition including an Arab party won’t happen.

Funny coincidence.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Is she the Hull lass ?
    Yes. When she was on that rubbish Sky News panel thing they did, she often seemed to position herself as a Katie Hopkins type minus the racism. By that I mean seemed deliberately to say something "controversial".
  • Options

isam said:

Because Trump's was unnecessary xenophobia. The virus was known as Coronavirus or Covid and there was literally no reason to call it the China virus except to deliberately associate it with China and pass the blame on to China.

With the rise of variants, they're only known by meaningless (to the public) code names or the identifying nation. There is no equivalent name already used like coronavirus or covid.

B.117 or B1.162.2 or whatever it is means nothing to any but either an expert or an obsessive nerd about this, hence the names by nation that mean something. That wasn't the case with original covid.
    FFS. The ONE country that deserves blame is China

It started in China, almost certainly in their shitty lab in Wuhan. If it didn't start there it started in their wet market because of 1. their revolting propensity to eat anything. eg bats and/or 2. their disgusting desire to exterminate rare animals like pangolins for "aphrodisiacs"

It then spread in China, unabated, because the vile and corrupt Chinese government literally arrested doctors who sounded a warning and suppressed data about its spread. Even when the CCP realised the true menace of the pandemic the CCP allowed millions of Chinese people to travel, seeding this virus all around the world

This really is the Chinese Plague.

Your weird Tory Wokery warps you in quite exceptional ways. Chine birthed this virus, China spread it around the world. China lied, and millions died
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Looks like Netanyahu remains in power then, and that prospective coalition including an Arab party won’t happen.

Funny coincidence.
    Damn it. I was hoping we might finally have seen the back of him.
  • Options

The amusing thing of course is that her green ambitions are less green than the Tories green ambitions.

Though no doubt if she did win then many, especially on Sky it seems, will be calling on the UK to do more. Ignoring the fact that her winning would be bringing Germany's ambitions closer to our own.
  • Options
    From IDF twitter account

IDF air and ground troops are currently attacking in the Gaza Strip.
  • Options

She was on the Apprentice, and also stood for the Brexit Party in Hull at a recent general election.
  • Options

The amusing thing of course is that her green ambitions are less green than the Tories green ambitions.

Though no doubt if she did win then many, especially on Sky it seems, will be calling on the UK to do more. Ignoring the fact that her winning would be bringing Germany's ambitions closer to our own.
    Is it possible that Annalena and the Greens are more sincere in their greenery, than Boris and the Blues?

Anyone making book on that?
  • Options

Is it possible that Annalena and the Greens are more sincere in their greenery, than Boris and the Blues?

Anyone making book on that?
    No evidence for that, no.

It would be interesting if Annalena wins and her and Boris were in charge to 2030 - I wonder which country will have done more to reduce greenhouse emissions by 2030? My money would be on the UK, Boris and the Blues.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Funny coincidence.

dixiedean said:

Funny coincidence.
    Netanyahu and Hamas locked in a dance of mutual survival.
  • Options
    Now that Brian Rose won't be tied up with the non-entity job that is London Mayor, perhaps he could go over and sort out the Israel / Palestine conflict....
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    QT was a waste of time.

Nandy landed one zinger when she asked Buckland why, if the Tories were so keen to protect the democratic system, they had failed after 18 months to enact a single recommendation from the Russian report which described foreign interference as the biggest threat to our democracy?
  • Options

QT was a waste of time.

Nandy landed one zinger when she asked Buckland why, if the Tories were so keen to protect the democratic system, they had failed after 18 months to enact a single recommendation from the Russian report which described foreign interference as the biggest threat to our democracy?

Witnessed by you and the other 50 people watching.....
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Andy_JS said:

She was on the Apprentice, and also stood for the Brexit Party in Hull at a recent general election.
    A very unimpressive figure. QT has some dolts on these days, but she’s the worst I’ve seen for quite some time.
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 236
    Leon said:

isam said:

FFS. The ONE country that deserves blame is China

It started in China, almost certainly in their shitty lab in Wuhan. If it didn't start there it started in their wet market because of 1. their revolting propensity to eat anything. eg bats and/or 2. their disgusting desire to exterminate rare animals like pangolins for "aphrodisiacs"

It then spread in China, unabated, because the vile and corrupt Chinese government literally arrested doctors who sounded a warning and suppressed data about its spread. Even when the CCP realised the true menace of the pandemic the CCP allowed millions of Chinese people to travel, seeding this virus all around the world

This really is the Chinese Plague.

Your weird Tory Wokery warps you in quite exceptional ways. Chine birthed this virus, China spread it around the world. China lied, and millions died
    Seconded.

Would also point out said dodgy research may have been funded by the US, and the WHO deserves an honourable mention for doing the sum of f**k all in the early days. Plenty of blame to spread around, but, yeah... China.
  • Options

isam said:

How come everyone's saying things like "the Indian variant", "the UK variant", "the Brazilian variant", "the South African variant"?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Funny coincidence.

dixiedean said:

Funny coincidence.
    Netanyahu and Hamas locked in a dance of mutual survival.
    Like DUP and SF in NI?
This discussion has been closed.