Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And for election day – The Uncultured Mr Maslow – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Rumours from a source that Yvette Cooper is the next SC, all but confirmed

God help them.
    To be honest, she's got to be better than - WHO? Ken Dodd? - who's never said anything or done anything ever.

Anyone still breathing would be better than that.
    Let’s be honest, Dodds got the job because she wouldn’t be a threat to Starmer. Cooper might be.
    What a bizarre theory.
    Almost LOL’d.
    The first bit, the second bit, or both?

Dodds always seemed an odd choice given no one knew who she was and we know even less about her now.

Cooper, on the other hand, is an experienced performer who would give the government a harder time.
    Difference is we know Cooper is totally crap. Dodds cannot possibly be worse.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,355
    ydoethur said:

The extreme partisan wing of the PB Tories is clearly rattled by the prospect of Yvette as Shadchan. They have raised HIPS - a scheme launched some 14 years ago.

For a year we’ve heard the PB Tories whinge that “Yvette Cooper would have been better”, and at the first rumour she might be back it’s, “oh but what about HIPS?”
    Their obsession with her HIPS comes across as a bit sexist, tbh.
    She was very proud of them , always going on about hips and how we would all love them..she brought hips to.our attention...
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

That will mean three years of pb Tories banging on about HIPS. Surely there must be someone else?
    I was very involved with hips including 18 meetings at her department

Both Yvette and her civil servants just did not listen to advice as they knew best

And of course hips failed

I am surprised if she become Shadow Chancellor when Rachel Reeves seems the shoe in
    Hips don't lie - but they also added no tangible benefit to home buying. People need professional advice from qualified surveyors for real issues not simplified reports from proforma.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

My own view of Alex Salmond is the same as my take on Al Franken.

No problem with either (am NOT a Scottish Nationalist, though I am an American Democrat) UNTIL they become a liability to their party and cause.

In that case, the sooner they jump into the dustbin of history, the better.

"You don't need a leader / to know which way the wind blows"

Best thing for Scotland in general, and Scottish nationalism in particular, would be for Alba to end up with 0 seats. IMHO. B

But then don't have a vote, so am just the overseas peanut gallery. Throwing the shells across the Atlantic (and the Pacific)!

Glad you have no vote and are just talking out your arse.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

WAR

You really are a pillock of the first order.
    Takes one to know one
    You SNP'ing or Alba-ing today malc ?

Held my nose and went SNP constituency and Alba List, independence is my first concern. Hoping Sturgeon gets dumped quick mind you.
    Not really the time to be switching leaders of the movement right after winning a majority at Holyrood is it?
    One can only hope, unfortunately it would be likely Macbeth would be the replacement
    Cometh the hour, cometh the Kate Forbes. I don't agree with her politics but as class an act as Nicola. Odd that the SNP can field more top leadership material than the Labour party.

• Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    Alistair said:

Now had a second person being delayed meeting me due to having a long queue at their polling station in Edinburgh.

Turnout is officially brisk.

There was a constant queue of 50-60 at my Edinburgh Central polling station, mainly due to the very social distancing and one way route (or maybe that’s just Edinburgh....)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    Andy_JS said:

murali_s said:

Andy_JS said:
    Labour surely worth a flutter at these odds?
    Maybe.
    Conservatives have shortened again. 1.07 vs 13 for Hartlepool.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661

Labour been working the more marginal seats locally very hard today

The 3 defensive marginals seem to have been prioritised. There is only one attacking marginal though

Make of that what you will.

Someone told me yesterday they were hopeful of cutting the Tory majority on DCC and BOP may be with the 3 LD's

DCC?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Sounds like more chance of Gary Neville being appointed head of the new European super league than Labour winning Hartlepool.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    Andy_JS said:

Labour been working the more marginal seats locally very hard today

The 3 defensive marginals seem to have been prioritised. There is only one attacking marginal though

Make of that what you will.

Someone told me yesterday they were hopeful of cutting the Tory majority on DCC and BOP may be with the 3 LD's

DCC?
    Derbyshire County Council
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 234
    I confidently predicted a tory win in Hartlepool, and backed them at evens not long after the announcement to do so, I also predict them to win the next GE, but what I would like to know from others on here, is when will the electorate finally see through this shambles of a government, led by the clown in chief.Someone on here said that the voters want to give labour a kick in, but they haven't been in power for 11 years, will they ever see they have been sold a pup in brexit, and that most of the ills in society have been caused by 11 yrs of an unnecessary austerity, by the tories, not the opposition, someone please tell me I wont die before we get rid of these awful lot
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472

Sounds like more chance of Gary Neville being appointed head of the new European super league than Labour winning Hartlepool.

More chance of me ordering a pizza laden with pineapple.
  • Options
    mickydroy said:

I confidently predicted a tory win in Hartlepool, and backed them at evens not long after the announcement to do so, I also predict them to win the next GE, but what I would like to know from others on here, is when will the electorate finally see through this shambles of a government, led by the clown in chief.Someone on here said that the voters want to give labour a kick in, but they haven't been in power for 11 years, will they ever see they have been sold a pup in brexit, and that most of the ills in society have been caused by 11 yrs of an unnecessary austerity, by the tories, not the opposition, someone please tell me I wont die before we get rid of these awful lot

Can't tell you. Don't know when you will die! I suspect that they will be around longer than we think. I mean look at the opposition and discussions hear around Tories in 2003. Seven years from power after financial crash.
  • Options

Isn’t Yvette effectively the female Keir?

No.
    Agree. She isn't dull, she isn't dour, she has charm - a vital quality, and just the lightest sprinkling of magic spirit - like Nicola. She is miles off Boris quality, but so is everyone (except Nicola, and they happen to play in different divisions). In that way it's just like the Blair era.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Ursula von der Leyen is calling on all countries to avoid measures that disrupt supply chains for vaccines.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1390315328580825088

How stupid can you get.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Surprisingly busy at my polling station in Winchcombe. Had to wait all of five minutes to assert my opinion.

I had to wait about twenty minutes.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    PM's first name has been a significant political plus for him. Just like Winston was for his idol & (alleged) role model. (Even though for starters it reminded Brits of a TV sitcom cat?)

Having an unusual (but not offputting) name greatly facilitated Mr. Johnson's entry into the elite group of politicos who are instantly and widely called & recognized by ONE name.

For example (here's a PB pop quiz!)

> (Honest) Abe
    > Pam
    > Dizzy
    > (Pushful) Joe
    > Teddy
    > Winston (or Winnie)
    > Ike
    > Rocky
    > Tony
    > (The) Donald

• Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,517

The extreme partisan wing of the PB Tories is clearly rattled by the prospect of Yvette as Shadchan. They have raised HIPS - a scheme launched some 14 years ago.

Except on current trends Yvette is unlikely even to be in parliament in 2024.

1,200 majority with 8,000 UKIP votes last time out. In the North.

And two and a half years of Cooper curling her lip about Boris's curtains.

Game over.
    I fear you might be right. I live in her constituency, and vote for her. But many (most?) people don’t have a good word to say about her. She gets a lot of shit for things the council does that she doesn’t have responsibility for, which is a bit unfair but hey, that’s politics.

Plus of course she’s a Remainer, a most foul view hereabouts.

I’ve mentioned before where I live it’s always been 3 Labour cllrs. Last time a Lib Dem got in, today I expect a second one to get in. Doesn’t bode well.
  • Options
    mickydroy said:

Toby Perkins MP
    @tobyperkinsmp
    ·
    Apr 6
    Instead of spending his members’ money running tiny polls to undermine
    @UKLabour
    campaign,
    @DaveWardGS
    could more usefully get himself up to Hartlepool.
    A lot more than 42% of voters I’ve met are voting for
    @PaulWilliamsLAB
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Evening all :)

I exercised my prerogative at lunchtime and then went to vote - no queue and well organised.

One of the local Labour Councillors outside asked me if I was considering voting for Sadiq. I told her I'd considered it...

Mrs Stodge has just been over to vote, I presume for Count Binface of whom she is a big fan. She said there was a small queue but our road got called and she was able to jump ahead of the line - it helps sometimes to be in a cul-de-sac.
  • Options
    CursingStoneCursingStone Posts: 421

Andy_JS said:

murali_s said:

Andy_JS said:
    Labour surely worth a flutter at these odds?
    Maybe.
    I'm tempted. It would be extraordinary now for Labour to pull this out of the fire, but at those odds maybe worth a nibble.
    You never know.. I remember the Glenrothes by election 2008. Snp congratulating each other at the count. Didnt turn out as expected.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    malcolmg said:

My own view of Alex Salmond is the same as my take on Al Franken.

No problem with either (am NOT a Scottish Nationalist, though I am an American Democrat) UNTIL they become a liability to their party and cause.

In that case, the sooner they jump into the dustbin of history, the better.

"You don't need a leader / to know which way the wind blows"

Best thing for Scotland in general, and Scottish nationalism in particular, would be for Alba to end up with 0 seats. IMHO. B

But then don't have a vote, so am just the overseas peanut gallery. Throwing the shells across the Atlantic (and the Pacific)!

Glad you have no vote and are just talking out your arse.
    So I take it you believe your Alex is still an asset to the cause?

And, as an American, am talking out of my ass. So good thing I'm standing up!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

mickydroy said:

Toby Perkins MP
    @tobyperkinsmp
    ·
    Apr 6
    @UKLabour
    campaign,
    @DaveWardGS
    @PaulWilliamsLAB
    How do polls undermine the campaign when also insisting that things are going well in the campaign?

It's like how people confidently state media influence is dead, then complain about media influence being why they lost.
  • Options
    CursingStoneCursingStone Posts: 421
    stodge said:

I exercised my prerogative at lunchtime and then went to vote - no queue and well organised.

One of the local Labour Councillors outside asked me if I was considering voting for Sadiq. I told her I'd considered it...

Mrs Stodge has just been over to vote, I presume for Count Binface of whom she is a big fan. She said there was a small queue but our road got called and she was able to jump ahead of the line - it helps sometimes to be in a cul-de-sac.

Not supposed to canvass people outside polling stations!!!
  • Options

mickydroy said:

Can't tell you. Don't know when you will die! I suspect that they will be around longer than we think. I mean look at the opposition and discussions hear around Tories in 2003. Seven years from power after financial crash.
    Back in 1992, after their fourth win, the Times pompously described the Conservatives as "the Natural Party of Government" and Labour as "the Natural Party of Opposition".

It may simply be hubris which does for the Conservatives - the belief they will always win, they will never lose.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ursula von der Leyen is calling on all countries to avoid measures that disrupt supply chains for vaccines.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1390315328580825088

How stupid can you get.
    Quite a lot, but give me a bit of time to work at it.
  • Options
    mickydroy said:

Pretty simple. At the latest, when someone leading Labour convinces the electorate of these things: that they are making a better offer than the Tories, that they are better at running the country, that they don't hate or regard as 'scum' the people whose switched votes they need, that they have a genuine and heartfelt support for the Brexit project, that they have purged the left permanently, that they understand why good people have deserted them, that they are unwoke and that they love their country. May it be soon.

Until then, as for me I will vote Labour locally (I have just done so) but never in a General Election.

• Options
    kle4 said:

mickydroy said:

Toby Perkins MP
    @tobyperkinsmp
    ·
    Apr 6
    @UKLabour
    campaign,
    @DaveWardGS
    @PaulWilliamsLAB
    How do polls undermine the campaign when also insisting that things are going well in the campaign?

It's like how people confidently state media influence is dead, then complain about media influence being why they lost.
    They dont

Just pointing out a month ago this MP was confident Lab were doing well but then again as someone pointed out

https://twitter.com/chipshopchop/status/1379432761535078407/photo/1
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,241
    BETTING POST: Angela Rayner is on manuevers. If there is a challenge to Starmer it won't be that wankshaft Burgon, it will be her. Angela thinks She is the one. Woman. Northern. Authentic.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658

Surprisingly busy at my polling station in Winchcombe. Had to wait all of five minutes to assert my opinion.

Not quite as busy at my polling station as a GE, but a fairly steady stream of voters after work, half a dozen queuing.

I think Con will take the PCC, as there are no council elections in Leicester City, just the blue and yellow bits of Shire Leics
  • Options

BETTING POST: Angela Rayner is on manuevers. If there is a challenge to Starmer it won't be that wankshaft Burgon, it will be her. Angela thinks She is the one. Woman. Northern. Authentic.

I would probably vote for her.

Needs to be a woman IMO
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Burgon has been campaigning for months. The left dislike Rayner intensely.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    The Binface movement is sweeping London.
  • Options

She also won the Deputy Leadership comfortably. Indeed I think she would have won the leadership if she had stood instead of her flat mate.
  • Options

Angela would be one - there are lots - who would shore up the vote in most of the urban and Bame seats they already hold but would struggle both in the posh seats they hold and in almost all the ones they need to win. Though TBF she would do streets better than Burgon, who has no idea that he is the problem not the solution.

• Options
    Foxy said:

She also won the Deputy Leadership comfortably. Indeed I think she would have won the leadership if she had stood instead of her flat mate.
    She fell out with left. She even said nice things about Blair.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,837
    mickydroy said:

Sad to say but not anytime soon ! With a generally arse licking Bozo press and a BBC now just turning into the media wing of no 10 it’s all rather troubling.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    edited May 2021
    mickydroy said:

As it happens I was just looking at historic regional GVA trends.

There’s a definite inflection point from around 2010, ie the GFC and austerity.

Who did badly in this period, ie got relatively poorer? Most of the country, but especially the northern rust belt.

Who did well, ie got relatively richer?
    London preeminently, but also Herts/Beds/Cambs, Manchester/Cheshire, Birmingham/Solihull.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    stodge said:

mickydroy said:

Back in 1992, after their fourth win, the Times pompously described the Conservatives as "the Natural Party of Government" and Labour as "the Natural Party of Opposition".

It may simply be hubris which does for the Conservatives - the belief they will always win, they will never lose.
    Which Labour?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    On topic, the premise of the thread doesn't hold up. The fall in home ownership since its peak around the millennium has been associated with rising Conservative vote shares in general elections. There is a negative correlation, not the positive one the thread assumes. So other factors are clearly far more important. It won't be home ownership that does for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719

Needs to be a woman IMO
    Who would win if it was Rayner v Nandy in your opinion?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    My son has been busy nagging his class mates to vote today. Lib Dem in NE Fife, Tory in Angus South and North and Labour in Dundee East and West. Whichever Unionist party is the closest.

This is going to be a twitchy couple of days.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Yes, she has a very political ability to not accumulate enemies. I don't think she will have a problem with either left or right. She is able to unite the feuding factions.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Stocky said:

Needs to be a woman IMO
    The Tories?
    Agreed. Especially if Raynor.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Yes, she has a very political ability to not accumulate enemies. I don't think she will have a problem with either left or right. She is able to unite the feuding factions.
    Some of the momentum/Corbyn lot hate her. Apart from that, yeah.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Jonathan said:

It's never too soon to BRING BACK BURGON!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The "left" - the mass of members of elected Jezbollah twice - voted en-masse for Starmer. If he is encouraged to fall on a sword held by him for Angela, I can see her being able to coalesce a movement.

Nothing else from the phone call I took was a surprise. Apart from Angela planning to move on the leadership once Labour lose Hartlepool and Teesside and West Midlands and a stack of councils and go backwards in Scotland and and and.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's never too soon to BRING BACK BURGON!
    If only to hear Matt Forde's impression of him.
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited May 2021
    malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.
    To be honest, she's got to be better than - WHO? Ken Dodd? - who's never said anything or done anything ever.

Let’s be honest, Dodds got the job because she wouldn’t be a threat to Starmer. Cooper might be.
    What a bizarre theory.
    Almost LOL’d.

Dodds always seemed an odd choice given no one knew who she was and we know even less about her now.

Cooper, on the other hand, is an experienced performer who would give the government a harder time.
    And for as long as Labour think the solution is a Blairite metropolitan remainer they won't regain power. Not that a socialist is either.

Half of the Labour Party are fighting the war from a previous generation. The other half are fighting the one from the last century.

They need a northerner (or a Scot) with a bit of British bulldog grit about them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

What a bizarre theory.
    Almost LOL’d.

And for as long as Labour think the solution is a Blairite metropolitan remainer they won't regain power. Not that a socialist is either.

Half of the Labour Party are fighting the war from a previous generation. The other half are fighting the one from the last century.

They need a northerner (or a Scott) with a bit of British bulldog grit about them.
    King of the North, King of the North. They need him back but he is about to be re-elected by acclamation in Manchester and is not showing a lot of interest in going back to opposition without running anything.
  • Options
    stodge said:

mickydroy said:

Absolutely the problem is that the civil war in the Labour party has left the opposition looking like they couldn't run a stall at a car boot sale. Starmer is as charming as a kick in the nuts and Dodds looks very reminiscent of a woman I had a business meeting with in Glastonbury. When I asked her to comment on the legal document she had signed previously she tipped her cup up and consulted the tea leaves. In 1992 labour almost won, and they had some really good potential ministers.
  • Options
    Just had a bit on Raynor at 10.5 with Smarkets.

Am I correct in thinking that if Starmer did go in short term (not likely IMO) Burnham couldn't stand (or Khan) as they are not MPs? Just checking.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

What a bizarre theory.
    Almost LOL’d.

They need a northerner (or a Scott) with a bit of British bulldog grit about them.
    King of the North, King of the North. They need him back but he is about to be re-elected by acclamation in Manchester and is not showing a lot of interest in going back to opposition without running anything.
    Burnham is just another apparatchik.
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan
    ·
    4h
    LONDON: reports show that voter turnout is low across our city.

If you love London & what we stand for, please come out and vote for it.

We had a Tory mayor just five years ago - if you don’t vote, they could win again.

Already voted? Please RT and ask friends to #VoteLabour.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

What a bizarre theory.
    Almost LOL’d.

They need a northerner (or a Scot) with a bit of British bulldog grit about them.
    Without an extensive coalition with other parties, I have to say I think Labour may not make it whatever the leader. There's a very substantial centre-left to left vote in this country, but it's incredibly fragmented. A centre-left coalition may only be able to get in with different target candidates in Bath and Bolton.

Unless..Rayner, Starmer or Nandy work out how to channel that Wilsonian energy, from Labour outwards.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,837
    If you’re going to need to hold onto northern Labour seats you need someone who voters there feel understands them . And someone who will be less polite and call out Johnson for the liar he is. I like Starmer but he needs to get down into the gutter and fight the Tories at their own game ,if he’s not willing to then pass the mantle to someone who will tell it like it is .
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    Even I might vote for a Labour Party led by our @Jonathan
  • Options

stodge said:

Not supposed to canvass people outside polling stations!!!
    Yes, well, this is Newham and the rules aren't universally enforced. Mrs Stodge reported the pro-Committee side in the Governance Referendum were handing out leaflets to people in the queue to vote.

When I used to do telling in Cornwall, it was so much more civilised. I would for the most part enjoy non-political conversations with the Conservative teller as we dealt with the trickle of voters. We'd help each other with the rush and exchange polling card numbers and the like.

It was always my experience if you avoided politics, the Conservative and occasionally Independent tellers were perfectly sensible.

I often wonder if we could take politics out of the political process whether we'd all be much better off.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Am I correct in thinking that if Starmer did go in short term (not likely IMO) Burnham couldn't stand (or Khan) as they are not MPs? Just checking.

Correct. And why would they want to? Both have actual power and electoral success and relevance where they are.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Stocky said:

Needs to be a woman IMO
    The Tories?
    Yes. The key question is who has got the talent bordering on genius to take on the Boris government. Looking at the absolute top talent post Churchill (1945 a special case!) Thatcher was never defeated by Labour; Blair was never defeated by the Tories. Both were essentially defeated first by hubris and elements in their own party.

At the moment Boris is untouchable by his party (early days of course) and intends to avoid hubris by being so solidly centrist. Obviously he can defeat himself, but as it seems now, he both needs to make a terrible mistake or mistakes and have a working opposition that looks like a government. So the key need is someone who can go 15 rounds with Boris day after day and come out on top. SKS doesn't. Does Labour have anyone who looks convincing in that role?

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    mickydroy said:

Interesting post.

All good things must come to an end, even the Johnsonian Conservatives. I recall in the late 80s and certainly after 1992, The Sunday Telegraph gaming who would be the Conservative Prime Minister in 1996,. 2000 and 2004. I think they even had 2008 pencilled in as a Tory win.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    What's that former labour MP, the minister for truth bloke, wingnut Williamson up to these days?

He's got the people's touch and is untainted by the SKS leadership.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Correct. And why would they want to? Both have actual power and electoral success and relevance where they are.
    In that case Burnham is a big lay on the markets at these prices surely?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited May 2021

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

What a bizarre theory.
    Almost LOL’d.

Its not about identity, its about policy and attitude.

I have seen at least one cartoon this week with labour canvassers saying to voters 'so why aren't you white racists voting for us then?'

That needs to change. Despising your own electorate in a different accent is not going to cut it.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

It would be difficult as deputy leader to challenge though wouldn't it?
  • Options

I think a Starmer resignation is more likely than a challenge.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

felix said:

eek said:

Chameleon said:

Var. Tory canvasser and media reports that it's not even close in Hartlepool.

And? Rochdale and myself said that from the very beginning of this by-election
    And I said narrow labour hold from the start. Have to say I'm starting to wonder............. :blush:
    I'm the same. This really ought to have been a Lab hold, but the campaign has been shocking. From the candidate picked, to the national campaigning ... It's like they're conspiring to throw the election.

I bet with Kinabalu at evens on a Lab hold. I wouldn't today based on what's happened since, I think I'll lose that bet.
    I thought Labour were value here at Evens.

I never bought that ALL Brexit Party votes transferred to the Conservatives - but even starting from the guess that two thirds of them would, that would give a notional result from 2007 of 45% Con, 37% Labour. That is the sort of territory that governments normally lose from in a by election.
    Why think that in the middle of a pandemic, with a world leading vaccination campaign and during a generational shift in politics from economy to culture, things can be predicted by what happens normally?
    Because, as with regular government, many people seem quite cross about the way the pandemic has progressed. And while I agree with the 'shift in politics from economy to culture', this isn't a sudden thing.
    Neither of these should take away from the general rule that those angry about the government are generally more motivated to vote than those content with them.
    But what this feels like to me (from the vantage point of 100 miles away, so what do I know) is that people are more motivated by voting against Labour. I can't remember when the Tories were in opposition there being the same desire to vote against the Tories at by-elections. A lack of enthusiasm to vote for them, certainly; but the desire to give the Tories a kicking didn't seem to feature in by-elections of the 1997-2010 period.
    Well lets see if its national or local. I'd say mostly local so mostly Brexit/culture driven.

And will culture voters switch between blue and red in mid terms/by elections in the same way economic voters did? It seems pretty unlikely to me that they would - they will cheer on their team.
    Yes, but even in the heyday of government by-election losses, there were relatively few switchers - more a case of the opposition parties being better able to get their vote out and the government's finding it hard to muster the enthusiasm. You would have thought the same rules would apply whatever the nature of the split - it's just the nature of being on government that you have to disappoint people, whether economically or culturally.

So I still find a government gain in a by-election remarkable, even allowing for large scale transferability between BXP and CON.
    But on top of the special BXP circumstances you have special pandemic circumstances - opposition blotted out and the government vaccine triumph. So this is exceptional times two. Double special. A Labour hold would have been a great result for them. As it is - meh.
    Re Hartlepool - are you going to be giving it that superforecaster stuff again tomorrow? Can't wait.
    ☺ - No I'll disappoint by staying low key and concentrating on the next challenge.
  • Options
    If Andy Burnham is the answer, you are asking the wrong question.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    nico679 said:

If you’re going to need to hold onto northern Labour seats you need someone who voters there feel understands them . And someone who will be less polite and call out Johnson for the liar he is. I like Starmer but he needs to get down into the gutter and fight the Tories at their own game ,if he’s not willing to then pass the mantle to someone who will tell it like it is .

It might cause concerns but labour need a pro Brexit leader

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

felix said:

eek said:

Chameleon said:

Var. Tory canvasser and media reports that it's not even close in Hartlepool.

And? Rochdale and myself said that from the very beginning of this by-election
    And I said narrow labour hold from the start. Have to say I'm starting to wonder............. :blush:
    I'm the same. This really ought to have been a Lab hold, but the campaign has been shocking. From the candidate picked, to the national campaigning ... It's like they're conspiring to throw the election.

I bet with Kinabalu at evens on a Lab hold. I wouldn't today based on what's happened since, I think I'll lose that bet.
    I thought Labour were value here at Evens.

I never bought that ALL Brexit Party votes transferred to the Conservatives - but even starting from the guess that two thirds of them would, that would give a notional result from 2007 of 45% Con, 37% Labour. That is the sort of territory that governments normally lose from in a by election.
    Why think that in the middle of a pandemic, with a world leading vaccination campaign and during a generational shift in politics from economy to culture, things can be predicted by what happens normally?
    Because, as with regular government, many people seem quite cross about the way the pandemic has progressed. And while I agree with the 'shift in politics from economy to culture', this isn't a sudden thing.
    Neither of these should take away from the general rule that those angry about the government are generally more motivated to vote than those content with them.
    But what this feels like to me (from the vantage point of 100 miles away, so what do I know) is that people are more motivated by voting against Labour. I can't remember when the Tories were in opposition there being the same desire to vote against the Tories at by-elections. A lack of enthusiasm to vote for them, certainly; but the desire to give the Tories a kicking didn't seem to feature in by-elections of the 1997-2010 period.
    Well lets see if its national or local. I'd say mostly local so mostly Brexit/culture driven.

And will culture voters switch between blue and red in mid terms/by elections in the same way economic voters did? It seems pretty unlikely to me that they would - they will cheer on their team.
    Yes, but even in the heyday of government by-election losses, there were relatively few switchers - more a case of the opposition parties being better able to get their vote out and the government's finding it hard to muster the enthusiasm. You would have thought the same rules would apply whatever the nature of the split - it's just the nature of being on government that you have to disappoint people, whether economically or culturally.

So I still find a government gain in a by-election remarkable, even allowing for large scale transferability between BXP and CON.
    But on top of the special BXP circumstances you have special pandemic circumstances - opposition blotted out and the government vaccine triumph. So this is exceptional times two. Double special. A Labour hold would have been a great result for them. As it is - meh.
    Re Hartlepool - are you going to be giving it that superforecaster stuff again tomorrow? Can't wait.
    ☺ - No I'll disappoint by staying low key and concentrating on the next challenge.
    Interesting use of the word "disappoint".
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Fishing said:

On topic, the premise of the thread doesn't hold up. The fall in home ownership since its peak around the millennium has been associated with rising Conservative vote shares in general elections. There is a negative correlation, not the positive one the thread assumes. So other factors are clearly far more important. It won't be home ownership that does for the Conservatives.

Untrue. Falling home ownership plateaued years ago, last few General Elections have seen rising home ownership.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

For a year we’ve heard the PB Tories whinge that “Yvette Cooper would have been better”, and at the first rumour she might be back it’s, “oh but what about HIPS?”
    Very pro Yvette Cooper. However she isn't going to be chancellor unless something very odd happens. Her seat is a Hartlepool, whose result she will watch with interest. YC has a majority of 1300 and the Brexit party got 8000 votes.

Labour is more likely to form a government without YC than to form one with her. Plus should they form a rainbow alliance - their only option - someone droning on SNP bore will have a claim to be SC. And most likely of course is none of these. At the moment there are loads of Tory seats they look more like winning than holding NP and C.

I thought Yvette had Castleford and they weighed her votes.....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

What's that former labour MP, the minister for truth bloke, wingnut Williamson up to these days?

The message is no longer “bung on Burgon” it’s “wodge on Williamson”...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Some of the Momentum and Progress/ Labour First extremists need to compromise

I would be fine with AR

Those who want to get behind Burgon or Philips even though it would completely split the party need to compromise and get behind AR
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

Hartlepool is not won until the declaration

However the following pointers are interesting

A pollster gave a 17% conservative lead in the most recent constituency poll

Private labour polling indicated they were retaining just 40% of their 2019 vote

The pollster who established the 17% conservative lead said he will never do another constituency poll if Labour win it

Canvassers and the media suggesting today the votes need weighing for the conservatives

Smarkets have just jumped to 92.59% conservative win

Surely a Labour hold would be extraordinary

Objectively, it’s won at 10pm; we just don’t have the proof for a while.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    I've staked an entire £25 today on the elections. Hoping that Count Binface gets above 20,000 votes, at the rather overly long odds of 9/2. Big old field though.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I think a Starmer resignation is more likely than a challenge.
    Like I said. A sword held in place for him to fall upon. As with Thatcher once your core team have no confidence your choices are sack all the doubters or quit.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

I've staked an entire £25 today on the elections. Hoping that Count Binface gets above 20,000 votes, at the rather overly long odds of 9/2. Big old field though.

How long is it until we find they are really the ones behind the politics for all twitter account?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

This is arguing in the wrong register. Labour need a leader who can stop feuding and eliminate the left and all that; but they need someone who can do that before breakfast as a side issue while actually beating Boris daily, saving the union, winning 125 seats at a GE and looking like a better government than the government.

As of now the great general public have no idea of any of their names. Have Labour any idea what a problem they have?
  • Options

If Andy Burnham is the answer, you are asking the wrong question.

The question is who is King of the North
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    IanB2 said:

Private labour polling indicated they were retaining just 40% of their 2019 vote

The pollster who established the 17% conservative lead said he will never do another constituency poll if Labour win it

Canvassers and the media suggesting today the votes need weighing for the conservatives

I agree but it is not over before the declaration
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan
    ·
    4h

We had a Tory mayor just five years ago - if you don’t vote, they could win again.

Surely he has nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Are you for real, untainted by the SKS leadership???

However Williamson is very much tainted by the Corbyn leadership and his own unique brand of odiousness.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan
    ·
    4h

He doesn't, he's either going through the motions or doing it to try and help Labour candidates in local boroughs.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Angela would be one - there are lots - who would shore up the vote in most of the urban and Bame seats they already hold but would struggle both in the posh seats they hold and in almost all the ones they need to win. Though TBF she would do streets better than Burgon, who has no idea that he is the problem not the solution.

Burgon is less charming than Starmer. Take that in!
  • Options

nico679 said:

It might cause concerns but labour need a pro Brexit leader

No it doesn’t.
    It needs a pro-union, pro-jobs, pro-opportunity leader.

Rehearsing a bad faith Brexit mantra will simply kill off Labour for good.
  • Options

Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan
    ·
    4h

Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan
    ·
    4h

It would be huge LOL if he did...
  • Options

Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan
    ·
    4h

Only pride perhaps.
    The Count Binface surge is REAL.
  • Options

Sadiq Khan
    @SadiqKhan
    ·
    4h

No, just going through the appropriate motions. I bet even in East Ham they warn people at GE time to be careful or the Tories might slip through.

If there was one side unenthused about their mayoral campaign it seemed to be the Tories.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Well it's a sad day when the Poolies prefer a Shire Tory from Thirsk to a local doctor.

If I was a betting man I'd put a monkey on the Tories.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Saw a couple of voting queues this evening, but that could easily be the Lurgy

I delivered my postal vote in person in sunny but chilly Primrose Hill

I went:

Lozza

Binface

Tories
  • Options

Is the 'people's touch' some kind of euphemism? And if so, for what?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Some of the Momentum and Progress/ Labour First extremists need to compromise

I would be fine with AR

Those who want to get behind Burgon or Philips even though it would completely split the party need to compromise and get behind AR
    Angela Rayner is plausible (aside from sounding like like my mum). Poor background. Been there done that, so can talk to the working poor. Pulled herself up and pushed herself through law school, so can talk aspiration. Is northern and authentic and lets be honest isn't remotely an inspirational politician.

Starmer seems to have no political philosophy or instincts and has done nothing to arrest the snail-like pace of Labour's recovery since 2010. Rayner might accelerate that for the leader after her - Labour's Michael Howard to follow IDStarmer.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Very pro Yvette Cooper. However she isn't going to be chancellor unless something very odd happens. Her seat is a Hartlepool, whose result she will watch with interest. YC has a majority of 1300 and the Brexit party got 8000 votes.

Labour is more likely to form a government without YC than to form one with her. Plus should they form a rainbow alliance - their only option - someone droning on SNP bore will have a claim to be SC. And most likely of course is none of these. At the moment there are loads of Tory seats they look more like winning than holding NP and C.

I thought Yvette had Castleford and they weighed her votes.....
    Her seat is NP and C and like Hartlepool. Not quite weighing vote territory but dead safe. But not now.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    IanB2 said:

Its fucking won. Question is whether the Tories push through a 5k majority or not. Labour are not turning out. For the by-election, for council seats up for election, for the mayoral, for the PCC. For none of them. All Tory, the only question is by what margin.
  • Options
    This thread has been closed like the polls at 10pm...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    kle4 said:

Well, Yvette seems to have the first name factor based on responses here, which some people persist in pretending is like how people think Boris is their best mate or some such rubbish, so she is clearly the candidate to go for based on that alone.

One day you will understand the point I make about the Boris brand and how the ubiquitous use of his first name in a spirit of false intimacy is a key part of it.

But until then you will write more posts like this.
This discussion has been closed.