Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And for election day – The Uncultured Mr Maslow – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,993
    Mortimer said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Var. Tory canvasser and media reports that it's not even close in Hartlepool.

Labour nailed on like usual?
    Very much a weighing the vote type of result.
    Boris must think it's in the bag:

"@BorisJohnson

I'm urging everyone in Hartlepool to get out and vote for Jill Mortimer today.

She's got a fantastic plan for change to take Hartlepool forward.

So vote Conservative in Hartlepool today."

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1390266752148328453
    Don't regulations prevent this ?
    Which regulations?
    Campaigning on election day, as I understood it.
    Campaigning on election day is absolutely allowed.
    Yes its just broadcasters that can't transmit it
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,637

If a majority of The Public are in favour of the death penalty, and are opposed to litter louts, HOW COME no major party is proposing bringing back the Rope?

HOW did you get your comment to appear in green?

Also, how do PBers type a word on here, then cross it out? (I'm a techno peasant!)
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Chameleon said:

Didn't Ms Cooper use to post on this site, or am I mis-remembering?

Hopeless and shouty. All she has ever done is HIPS which was a fecking disaster.
    The Labour front bench merry go round does feel a bit Tory Party c. 2003 “what shall we do with Michael Ancram”. It’s not exactly bold new talent.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,955
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    Mortimer said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

"@BorisJohnson

Which regulations?
    Yes, it seems that only media rules are applied in regulation. There does seem to have been a change in the way the substance of election day campaigning, rather than estimates of votes / turnout, is nationally reported in the media, though.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,420

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

"@BorisJohnson

What fantastic plan for change could Conservative Jill Mortimer possibly have? What does she think is wrong with what Boris's government is doing?
    That she has a plan would put her well ahead. But the government saying she has a plan isn’t reassuring given that we were supposed to have seen the plan for solving the social care crisis way back.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    murali_s said:

nico679 said:

Bozos gun boat willy waving might go down well south of the border but is likely to go down badly with the vast majority north of the border .

The Bozo stunt just reminds those who think he’s a detestable waste of space of the need to get out and vote and make sure the fat oaf won’t be able to crow about the results in Scotland .

Bozo is a disingenuous racist overweight fornicator - nothing more, more less.

Loved by the pea-brained fanbois who live on this right-wing blog!
    I'll put you don't as a maybe shall I?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,897

If a majority of The Public are in favour of the death penalty, and are opposed to litter louts, HOW COME no major party is proposing bringing back the Rope?

For littering, no less?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Actual knowledge? Or the heard watching this site. I’m a bit tempted in Labour. Hmmm.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,359
    nico679 said:

Bozos gun boat willy waving might go down well south of the border but is likely to go down badly with the vast majority north of the border .

The Bozo stunt just reminds those who think he’s a detestable waste of space of the need to get out and vote and make sure the fat oaf won’t be able to crow about the results in Scotland .

He was responding to a direct request from the Jersey States executive to assist in the invasion of St Helier harbour by angry French fishermen (who are always angry) and following the threat from France to cut of the electricity supply to Jersey which in any civilised negotiation is wholly unacceptable

Strange you do not refer to the provocation of France towards the States of Jersey

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,328

eek said:

Chameleon said:

And? Rochdale and myself said that from the very beginning of this by-election
    I love this "look at how much of a f-ing hero I was" stuff!

Ok, ok, we all do it, but @kinabalu said it too and I've bet on the Tories throughout too, I just wasn't sure if it was going to be a narrow margin or a big margin.

I decided 4 days ago it'd be big, and bet accordingly.
    3500 is my prediction of the margin.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

"@BorisJohnson

Which regulations?
    Except as prohibited within a certain distance from poll sites. A pesky detail that (it appears) is news to that keen campaigner and original Albanian, Alex Salmond?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    tlg86 said:

Rumours from a source that Yvette Cooper is the next SC, all but confirmed

God help them.
    To be honest, she's got to be better than - WHO? Ken Dodd? - who's never said anything or done anything ever.

Anyone still breathing would be better than that.
    Let’s be honest, Dodds got the job because she wouldn’t be a threat to Starmer. Cooper might be.
    Plus the left wants Dodds. McDonnell rated here. So do I TBH though I'm among a minority I know.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,988
    It’s laughable to see some deride the pool of talent available to Starmer given the only qualification needed to be in the cabinet is to be a Bozo lap dog and have total belief in the Brexit Unicorn .

• Options

Also, how do PBers type a word on here, then cross it out? (I'm a techno peasant!)
    http://htmlguide.drgrog.com/cheatsheet.php
  • Options
    OldBasingOldBasing Posts: 168
    A little anecdata on postal votes. Partner works for a Hampshire council - 4000 postal votes were returned over last two days.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited May 2021
    Boring hypothetical question for those following the Scottish election.

Would it be a better or worse system if parties had to stand for both constituency and list ballots? In pure choice terms there is an absolute glut of list parties but in constituency terms the choice is much more limited (some might say pathetically so).

I can't quite work out if it would be better, or if it would just kill a lot of the variety on the list.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,869
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

felix said:

eek said:

Chameleon said:

And I said narrow labour hold from the start. Have to say I'm starting to wonder............. :blush:
    I'm the same. This really ought to have been a Lab hold, but the campaign has been shocking. From the candidate picked, to the national campaigning ... It's like they're conspiring to throw the election.

I bet with Kinabalu at evens on a Lab hold. I wouldn't today based on what's happened since, I think I'll lose that bet.
    I thought Labour were value here at Evens.

I never bought that ALL Brexit Party votes transferred to the Conservatives - but even starting from the guess that two thirds of them would, that would give a notional result from 2007 of 45% Con, 37% Labour. That is the sort of territory that governments normally lose from in a by election.
    Why think that in the middle of a pandemic, with a world leading vaccination campaign and during a generational shift in politics from economy to culture, things can be predicted by what happens normally?
    Because, as with regular government, many people seem quite cross about the way the pandemic has progressed. And while I agree with the 'shift in politics from economy to culture', this isn't a sudden thing.
    Neither of these should take away from the general rule that those angry about the government are generally more motivated to vote than those content with them.
    But what this feels like to me (from the vantage point of 100 miles away, so what do I know) is that people are more motivated by voting against Labour. I can't remember when the Tories were in opposition there being the same desire to vote against the Tories at by-elections. A lack of enthusiasm to vote for them, certainly; but the desire to give the Tories a kicking didn't seem to feature in by-elections of the 1997-2010 period.
    Well lets see if its national or local. I'd say mostly local so mostly Brexit/culture driven.

And will culture voters switch between blue and red in mid terms/by elections in the same way economic voters did? It seems pretty unlikely to me that they would - they will cheer on their team.
    Yes, but even in the heyday of government by-election losses, there were relatively few switchers - more a case of the opposition parties being better able to get their vote out and the government's finding it hard to muster the enthusiasm. You would have thought the same rules would apply whatever the nature of the split - it's just the nature of being on government that you have to disappoint people, whether economically or culturally.

So I still find a government gain in a by-election remarkable, even allowing for large scale transferability between BXP and CON.
    You dont have to disappoint voters culturally. It is trivial to find some obscure thing to be offended at and get others to share your offence. Even easier if the voters are older and think life should be as it was when they were growing up.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,042
    Andy_JS said:
    Labour surely worth a flutter at these odds?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

very interesting

worth a second read

or indeed a third
  • Options
    My own view of Alex Salmond is the same as my take on Al Franken.

No problem with either (am NOT a Scottish Nationalist, though I am an American Democrat) UNTIL they become a liability to their party and cause.

In that case, the sooner they jump into the dustbin of history, the better.

"You don't need a leader / to know which way the wind blows"

Best thing for Scotland in general, and Scottish nationalism in particular, would be for Alba to end up with 0 seats. IMHO. B

But then don't have a vote, so am just the overseas peanut gallery. Throwing the shells across the Atlantic (and the Pacific)!
  • Options
    nico679 said:

It’s laughable to see some deride the pool of talent available to Starmer given the only qualification needed to be in the cabinet is to be a Bozo lap dog and have total belief in the Brexit Unicorn .

The relevant comparison is Blair in 94 or Cameron in 07.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

felix said:

eek said:

Chameleon said:

And I said narrow labour hold from the start. Have to say I'm starting to wonder............. :blush:
    I'm the same. This really ought to have been a Lab hold, but the campaign has been shocking. From the candidate picked, to the national campaigning ... It's like they're conspiring to throw the election.

I bet with Kinabalu at evens on a Lab hold. I wouldn't today based on what's happened since, I think I'll lose that bet.

I never bought that ALL Brexit Party votes transferred to the Conservatives - but even starting from the guess that two thirds of them would, that would give a notional result from 2007 of 45% Con, 37% Labour. That is the sort of territory that governments normally lose from in a by election.
    Why think that in the middle of a pandemic, with a world leading vaccination campaign and during a generational shift in politics from economy to culture, things can be predicted by what happens normally?
    Because, as with regular government, many people seem quite cross about the way the pandemic has progressed. And while I agree with the 'shift in politics from economy to culture', this isn't a sudden thing.
    Neither of these should take away from the general rule that those angry about the government are generally more motivated to vote than those content with them.
    But what this feels like to me (from the vantage point of 100 miles away, so what do I know) is that people are more motivated by voting against Labour. I can't remember when the Tories were in opposition there being the same desire to vote against the Tories at by-elections. A lack of enthusiasm to vote for them, certainly; but the desire to give the Tories a kicking didn't seem to feature in by-elections of the 1997-2010 period.
    Well lets see if its national or local. I'd say mostly local so mostly Brexit/culture driven.

And will culture voters switch between blue and red in mid terms/by elections in the same way economic voters did? It seems pretty unlikely to me that they would - they will cheer on their team.
    Yes, but even in the heyday of government by-election losses, there were relatively few switchers - more a case of the opposition parties being better able to get their vote out and the government's finding it hard to muster the enthusiasm. You would have thought the same rules would apply whatever the nature of the split - it's just the nature of being on government that you have to disappoint people, whether economically or culturally.

So I still find a government gain in a by-election remarkable, even allowing for large scale transferability between BXP and CON.
    But on top of the special BXP circumstances you have special pandemic circumstances - opposition blotted out and the government vaccine triumph. So this is exceptional times two. Double special. A Labour hold would have been a great result for them. As it is - meh.
  • Options

nico679 said:

He was responding to a direct request from the Jersey States executive to assist in the invasion of St Helier harbour by angry French fishermen (who are always angry) and following the threat from France to cut of the electricity supply to Jersey which in any civilised negotiation is wholly unacceptable

Strange you do not refer to the provocation of France towards the States of Jersey

The French minister who made the electricity threat is clearly stupid but the Jersey government messed up as Guernsey hasn’t had this problem . As for Bozo he remains a waste of space and no 10 is a cesspit of corruption and cronyism .
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    murali_s said:

Andy_JS said:
    All mood music is that it's not going to be close.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    edited May 2021

You should have a number of basic font options above the type box - it's the strikethrough option

The green text thing is basic HTML stuff as in this image

Let's see
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,578
    OldBasing said:

A little anecdata on postal votes. Partner works for a Hampshire council - 4000 postal votes were returned over last two days.

What percentage of the registered vote was that?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

very interesting

worth a second read

or indeed a third
    Show off!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,357

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

UK reports 13 more coronavirus deaths and 2,613 new cases

I wonder if ~2000 cases a day is the floor until we have vaccinated the plague spreaders otherwise known as children.
    My other half hasn't been offered it yet, she is 34 - neither has Max of this parish or his other half I believe. So there's a large number of 20s and 30s still unvaxxed.
    Nor me.
    Haven’t been offered it either, and the website is still saying 40+.
    I know it will give you all comfort to know that at 37, I’ve had one and my second is booked. So it’s all going swimmingly.
    It’s good to hear lots of people are being vaccinated, but it is a bit frustrating for those of us still unable to book.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    tlg86 said:

God help them.
    To be honest, she's got to be better than - WHO? Ken Dodd? - who's never said anything or done anything ever.

Let’s be honest, Dodds got the job because she wouldn’t be a threat to Starmer. Cooper might be.
    What a bizarre theory.
    Almost LOL’d.
  • Options

nico679 said:

The relevant comparison is Blair in 94 or Cameron in 07.
    At least Blair was upto the job . Bozo is useless and surrounded by even worse barring Sunak.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    nico679 said:

What pool of talent? Pray be precise as to detail....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

I wonder if ~2000 cases a day is the floor until we have vaccinated the plague spreaders otherwise known as children.
    My other half hasn't been offered it yet, she is 34 - neither has Max of this parish or his other half I believe. So there's a large number of 20s and 30s still unvaxxed.
    Nor me.
    I know it will give you all comfort to know that at 37, I’ve had one and my second is booked. So it’s all going swimmingly.
    It’s good to hear lots of people are being vaccinated, but it is a bit frustrating for those of us still unable to book.
    You shouldn't have much longer to wait. Certainly hope that's the case, for you & all the Great UnVaxed.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

That's not laughable, it's unfortunate - opposition front bench have to work harder to appear competent, as they don't have the weight of office and the civil service (flawed though both are) to make them look good.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,602
    murali_s said:

nico679 said:

Are you and @Mango the same person?

You both pop up from time to time to shout deluded hyperbolic ultra-partisan nonsense.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Nor me.
    You shouldn't have much longer to wait. Certainly hope that's the case, for you & all the Great UnVaxed.
    I am haunting the relevant NHS website. They probably think I’m a Russian cyberbot looking for weaknesses.
  • Options
    OldBasingOldBasing Posts: 168

OldBasing said:

What percentage of the registered vote was that?
    c.30,000 voted in the last round of district elections in total.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,897
    edited May 2021

Would it be a better or worse system if parties had to stand for both constituency and list ballots? In pure choice terms there is an absolute glut of list parties but in constituency terms the choice is much more limited (some might say pathetically so).

I can't quite work out if it would be better, or if it would just kill a lot of the variety on the list.

Not sure how that works for independent candidates or very very small parties (ie one of them only). Would mean standing in every constdituency in a region, which is senseless if X is the sole candidate for the Larkhill Orange Lodge Party or Orkney Fisherfolk's Party? And also that raises issues if X wins more than one, not only in which seat gets X, but also probably messes up the already buggered up d'Hondt arithmetic. The sole reason for the Scottish system was to keep Alex Salmond out of power - ironically enough it might just be doing that now.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,350
    Surprisingly busy at my polling station in Winchcombe. Had to wait all of five minutes to assert my opinion.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

Plus the left wants Dodds. McDonnell rated here. So do I TBH though I'm among a minority I know.
    I like Dodds. I get the sense she'd be an excellent chancellor.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

felix said:

eek said:

Chameleon said:

But on top of the special BXP circumstances you have special pandemic circumstances - opposition blotted out and the government vaccine triumph. So this is exceptional times two. Double special. A Labour hold would have been a great result for them. As it is - meh.
    Re Hartlepool - are you going to be giving it that superforecaster stuff again tomorrow? Can't wait.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Nor me.
    I am haunting the relevant NHS website. They probably think I’m a Russian cyberbot looking for weaknesses.
    I notice you don't say that they would be wrong to think that...доктор.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

IanB2 said:

very interesting

worth a second read

or indeed a third
    Show off!
    Ha! I can bat away your unwarranted abuse simply by quoting it turned into white text.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Nor me.
    Which part of ‘deep cover’ didn’t you get, tovarisch?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

Yes, Cooper or Reeves would too though.
  • Options

Surprisingly busy at my polling station in Winchcombe. Had to wait all of five minutes to assert my opinion.

I had to wait all of thirty seconds for an elderly gentleman to walk down the narrow path to the gate, giving him room.

Then, the polling station was emptier than Gavin Williamson’s skull.
  • Options

murali_s said:

nico679 said:

You both pop up from time to time to shout deluded hyperbolic ultra-partisan nonsense.
    Thank goodness they do!
    It’s about the only counter argument to the relentless Boris love poetry we get on this site.

(Plus asides about how the problem with anyone else is that they are too woke or vegan for the northern working class - often typed up by contributors from Devon or even abroad).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

tlg86 said:

God help them.

What a bizarre theory.
    Almost LOL’d.
    The first bit, the second bit, or both?

Dodds always seemed an odd choice given no one knew who she was and we know even less about her now.

Cooper, on the other hand, is an experienced performer who would give the government a harder time.
  • Options
    Oh, Dent, Dent, Dent. What were you thinking?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,578
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Nor me.
    Which part of ‘deep cover’ didn’t you get, tovarisch?
    Komrades.....

The long sobs
    Of violins
    Of autumn
    Wound my heart
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

What a bizarre theory.
    Almost LOL’d.
    The first bit, the second bit, or both?

Dodds always seemed an odd choice given no one knew who she was and we know even less about her now.

Cooper, on the other hand, is an experienced performer who would give the government a harder time.
    It seems pretty obvious to me that in assembling his first shadow cabinet, Keir was at pains to avoid alienating a still-powerful leftist cadre.

Yvette etc were too indelibly Brownite.

But that was before. He’s managed to rout some of the nutters, and he has a freer hand now.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,132
    The extreme partisan wing of the PB Tories is clearly rattled by the prospect of Yvette as Shadchan. They have raised HIPS - a scheme launched some 14 years ago.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,132
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

I get the sense she'd be the Estelle Morris of Chancellors.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

murali_s said:

nico679 said:

Thank goodness they do!
    It’s about the only counter argument to the relentless Boris love poetry we get on this site.

(Plus asides about how the problem with anyone else is that they are too woke or vegan for the northern working class - often typed up by contributors from Devon or even abroad).
    Relentless love poetry like calling him constantly such imaginative names as BoZo, Clown, Shagger, Liar or even "Boris"?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,345
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

Sadly for you (and of course her) it's not going to happen.

Not convinced by the Cooper rumours to be honest. She has supposedly indicated she would rather stay as a Select Committee chair iirc.
  • Options
    Re: electioneering within prohibited distance of poll sites, am personally VERY opposed to this. By anyone, but especially by my OWN side!

Have ZERO problem taking down campaign signs in clear violation. And as an election worker, have (politely) requested voters wearing campaign buttons inside polling places. In concord with workers from other parties.

Back in 2008 general election, when there were LONG lines of eager voters at King County Elections, waiting to cast their votes (or return their ballots) some entrepreneurs were working the line (which was disproportionately voters of color) selling Obama memorabilia.

Which of course was a no-no. And they were told they could NOT do it - quite rightly.

They were not electioneering per se, instead trying to make a buck. BUT the rule is the rule. That's small-d democracy.
  • Options

The extreme partisan wing of the PB Tories is clearly rattled by the prospect of Yvette as Shadchan. They have raised HIPS - a scheme launched some 14 years ago.

For a year we’ve heard the PB Tories whinge that “Yvette Cooper would have been better”, and at the first rumour she might be back it’s, “oh but what about HIPS?”
  • Options
    CursingStoneCursingStone Posts: 421

Chameleon said:

Didn't Ms Cooper use to post on this site, or am I mis-remembering?

Hopeless and shouty. All she has ever done is HIPS which was a fecking disaster.
    Was it Snowflake?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

It is strange that of all education secretaries of the last 40 years, only one - Morris - has been a teacher and only two - MacGregor and Greening - have shown any understanding of education.

You wonder if it’s any coincidence that they’re also among the five shortest serving. There seems to be a highly toxic anti-educational culture at the DfE, which has been on view and not in a good way over the last year.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

very interesting

worth a second read

or indeed a third
    Show off!
    Ha! I can bat away your unwarranted abuse simply by quoting it turned into white text.
    Can still see it . . . barely!
  • Options
    Germany say nein....to waiving patent rights on vaccines.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1390355044340572160?s=19
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,017

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

God help them.

Much cleverer than Estelle. Her problem is that she lacks the human touch that Estelle in fact had.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,359
    Hartlepool is not won until the declaration

However the following pointers are interesting

A pollster gave a 17% conservative lead in the most recent constituency poll

Private labour polling indicated they were retaining just 40% of their 2019 vote

The pollster who established the 17% conservative lead said he will never do another constituency poll if Labour win it

Canvassers and the media suggesting today the votes need weighing for the conservatives

Smarkets have just jumped to 92.59% conservative win

Surely a Labour hold would be extraordinary
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IIRC Correctly the Brexit party got as low a 1.15 for Peterborough.

Not going to happen this time. Nailed on Con gain.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Nor me.
    Yeah I get that. Soon though, hopefully.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

"@BorisJohnson

Which regulations?
    You might be confusing with purdah rules that are there to stop taxpayers money been used to promote a candidate or party. This doesnt stop any individual or candidate from acting as they wish to promote themselves (within the rules for an election).
  • Options

I thought you lived in Putney.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Andy_JS said:
    Maybe.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I thought you lived in Putney.
    That's the other Peter IIRC. They get mixed up all the time. Like the Tims.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

Hartlepool is not won until the declaration

However the following pointers are interesting

A pollster gave a 17% conservative lead in the most recent constituency poll

Private labour polling indicated they were retaining just 40% of their 2019 vote

The pollster who established the 17% conservative lead said he will never do another constituency poll if Labour win it

Canvassers and the media suggesting today the votes need weighing for the conservatives

Smarkets have just jumped to 92.59% conservative win

Surely a Labour hold would be extraordinary

All setup for a Hillary in New Hampshire event then. Not that it did her any good in the end.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,606

Several reasons. Among them are that some opinions, while held by lots of people, are regarded by a significant number of people as 'tainting' any other opinions they might hold.

These include opinions which are widely held but not particularly thoughtfully held. On the left the abolition of property rights or eliminating policing. On the right, the death penalty, criminalising some sexual preferences and some racist opinions come to mind.

By and large parties have decided that the death penalty is both not a vote winner and is not coherently capable of implementation in the modern world.

Some things don't work in theory but do in practice. The death penalty works fine in theory - we can all think of people who richly deserve it - but would be catastrophic in practice.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

WAR

You really are a pillock of the first order.
    Takes one to know one
    You SNP'ing or Alba-ing today malc ?

Held my nose and went SNP constituency and Alba List, independence is my first concern. Hoping Sturgeon gets dumped quick mind you.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,572
    Alistair said:

IIRC Labour were as low as 1.02 minutes before the Dunfermline and West Fife by-election declaration in 2006.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Which in itself would be pretty extraordinary. A governing party has only gained a seat at a by-election twice since 1970, and only five times since 1945 - one of those being Bristol South 1959, where the Labour candidate won but was declared ineligible.

Even seats like Peterborough in 2019 - which should under the circumstances have been an easy gain - stayed with the Opposition.
  • Options

Another leg of the Tories’ Scotland strategy will be the timing of the next British general election. Although insiders insist no substantive discussion about the date has taken place, there are signs that Johnson is keen to keep open the option of holding the contest in 2023 rather than 2024, when his term would run out.

This would require him to repeal the Fixed-terms Parliament Act, but the thinking goes that year difference would make it easier to hold off calls for a second Scottish referendum. Johnson will be hoping that the SNP loses seats in a general election and that the Tories sweep back to power on a manifesto pledging to retain the union — allowing him to claim a fresher mandate than that provided to the SNP by today’s vote.

https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-scotland-headache-independence-referendum-elections/

Unionist desperation setting in, retreat from Stalingrad is well under way.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Except on current trends Yvette is unlikely even to be in parliament in 2024.

1,200 majority with 8,000 UKIP votes last time out. In the North.

And two and a half years of Cooper curling her lip about Boris's curtains.

Game over.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,132
    Ursula von der Leyen is calling on all countries to avoid measures that disrupt supply chains for vaccines.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1390315328580825088
  • Options
    At least 25 people including a police officer have been killed in a shoot-out in Rio de Janeiro, according to local media.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

WAR

Takes one to know one

Held my nose and went SNP constituency and Alba List, independence is my first concern. Hoping Sturgeon gets dumped quick mind you.
    Not really the time to be switching leaders of the movement right after winning a majority at Holyrood is it?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

They.. this isn't some sort of relative pronoun. HIPS IS THE ONLY THING she had ever achieved in office and as I said, it was a fecking disaster. Bring it on. Let her be shadow Chancellor with Ed working her from behind. Out will trip neoendogeonous growth theory before you can say HIPS.
  • Options

Ursula von der Leyen is calling on all countries to avoid measures that disrupt supply chains for vaccines.

Good news.

As long as she applies it to the EU as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

That was her main experience in government, its not unreasonable to draw attention to it. Thatcher still gets called Milk Snatcher from a policy 48 years ago, and despite her also been dead.
  • Options

Openness and fairness....having a laugh.
  • Options
    Isn’t Yvette effectively the female Keir?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Good news.

Oh, I'm sure she is no fan of 'Do as I say, not as I do'.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Several reasons. Among them are that some opinions, while held by lots of people, are regarded by a significant number of people as 'tainting' any other opinions they might hold.

These include opinions which are widely held but not particularly thoughtfully held. On the left the abolition of property rights or eliminating policing. On the right, the death penalty, criminalising some sexual preferences and some racist opinions come to mind.

By and large parties have decided that the death penalty is both not a vote winner and is not coherently capable of implementation in the modern world.

Some things don't work in theory but do in practice. The death penalty works fine in theory - we can all think of people who richly deserve it - but would be catastrophic in practice.

Maybe they could be elected to the House of Lords instead?:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_referendumpoll_20210407.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,895
    Labour been working the more marginal seats locally very hard today

The 3 defensive marginals seem to have been prioritised. There is only one attacking marginal though

Make of that what you will.

Someone told me yesterday they were hopeful of cutting the Tory majority on DCC and BOP may be with the 3 LD's

• Options
    Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

WAR

Takes one to know one
    How old are you? This is just ridiculous.
    Not old enough Dad. What planet are you on supporting that absolute cretinous slug Foremain. He is the lowest of the low.
  • Options
    Well, Yvette seems to have the first name factor based on responses here, which some people persist in pretending is like how people think Boris is their best mate or some such rubbish, so she is clearly the candidate to go for based on that alone.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Good news.

Oh, I'm sure she is no fan of 'Do as I say, not as I do'.
    Surely, ‘do as EU say, not do as EU do?’
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,572

No.
  • Options

No.
    Even if she were, surely we can all see Keir Starmer would be a brilliant Chancellor of the Exchequer? Reasonable, sensible, highly intelligent, hard working and meticulous.

The snag is, he hasn’t shown much imagination so far, and you need imagination to be a leader.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,895

Keir - Shall we have Coffee or Tea Yvette

Yvette - Well Keir they both have their merits what do you think

Keir - I am fine with either you pick Yvette

Half an hour later........
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,345
    Andy_JS said:

murali_s said:

Andy_JS said:
    Maybe.
    I'm tempted. It would be extraordinary now for Labour to pull this out of the fire, but at those odds maybe worth a nibble.
  • Options

Might get rid of the dross the parties have on their list backup system, all the chumocracy and deadwood careerists and arse lickers are on there. List is full of dross, mind you much of constituency is also dross so would it really matter that much.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    So Von Der Disaster has said EU willing to discuss waiving patent rights on vaccines, Germany has said no.

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing Wherr's the UNNNNITTTYYYYY?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

WAR

Takes one to know one

Not really the time to be switching leaders of the movement right after winning a majority at Holyrood is it?
    One can only hope, unfortunately it would be likely Macbeth would be the replacement
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,606

For a year we’ve heard the PB Tories whinge that “Yvette Cooper would have been better”, and at the first rumour she might be back it’s, “oh but what about HIPS?”
    Very pro Yvette Cooper. However she isn't going to be chancellor unless something very odd happens. Her seat is a Hartlepool, whose result she will watch with interest. YC has a majority of 1300 and the Brexit party got 8000 votes.

Labour is more likely to form a government without YC than to form one with her. Plus should they form a rainbow alliance - their only option - someone droning on SNP bore will have a claim to be SC. And most likely of course is none of these. At the moment there are loads of Tory seats they look more like winning than holding NP and C.

This discussion has been closed.