Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The joys of first past the post – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    Sky talking about players having to have pre match meals

8.00pm KO beckoning
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds like the government is breaking its promise to end all Covid-19 social measures by 21st June. Despite the fact that the figures are far better than anyone was expecting at this stage.

Exactly nobody saw that coming did they? Its been obvious for months that they intend to make us wear masks till the end of time.

One of my biggest remaining desires is to be allowed to sing in the congregation at church - we have taken to trooping outside and singing in the carpark, but it's not quite the same. I've a nasty feeling that they will hold onto this rule as long as they can too, especially as there aren't many votes in it.
    Do you think "masks until the end of time" will be a particularly vote winning policy?
    No, but unfortunately there are about 3 more years before we are likely to get to vote this lot out. It would be quite nice to go back to normal a little sooner. Also, at present we have a leader of HM opposition who seems to believe that his role consists of nodding along with government policy, unless it involves designer wallpaper.
    In LA, there are three remaining significant restrictions:

- masks on public transport and shops
    - no karaoke bars or nightclubs
    - restrictions on capacity at sporting events and gyms

While I'd like the remaining restrictions lifted, there remains a substantial number of antivaxxers here (much more than in the UK), so I'd expect those restrictions to be lifted more slowly than I'd like.

But you know what? Normal life is 99% back now. How much time do I spend in supermarkets anyway?
    Once everyone that wants it has been double jabbed there shouldn't be internal restrictions at that point; you end pandemics via herd immunity, and if it turns out Covid has a massive natural R, well the antivaxxers will have chosen the rough route out the pandemic.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: race started fairly well then petered out a bit.

Astonished at the turn around in Russell's pace from qualifying to the race. Writing it up a bit later than usual (not started yet).

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

So far impact of vaccines is dramatic in UK, pronounced in US, not at all visible in EU (I expect that to start changing this month)...UK ended up being exemplary not only in speed but also in prioritizing those at risk. In Italy notably those in 30-40 age group were vaccinated faster than 70-80. Result: Italy has been recording hundreds of deaths every day

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1388853906697031683?s=20

I recall that we had a surprisingly straightline fall in UK numbers.

These are current EU daily death and case rates, which seem to show the start of straightline downward trends, and look more encouraging. But still about 6-8 weeks to go to choke off the current wave if this trend holds.

The EU lines will have a lot of smoothing from the 27 different samples.

One difficult question will be if early or fast unlockdowns stretch out the time.

I think that's about right, with (as you say) the proviso that different countries are going to have very different experiences,

Why does Latvia only have 14% of its population having had even a single dose of vaccine? While Finland (who's followed the UK strategy of using first doses as widely as possible) is up to 35%?

Generally, though, the EU is getting its shit together. Last week it went from 22.9% with at least one dose to 27.2% - so it remains about 10 to 12 weeks behind the UK.
    Robert is there a reason you keep quoting percentage of adult figures, when most nations and international comparisons have been quoting numbers on a percentage of people basis?
    He's quoting population ?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Astonished at the turn around in Russell's pace from qualifying to the race. Writing it up a bit later than usual (not started yet).

Get him in the Merc ASAP
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds like the government is breaking its promise to end all Covid-19 social measures by 21st June. Despite the fact that the figures are far better than anyone was expecting at this stage.

Exactly nobody saw that coming did they? Its been obvious for months that they intend to make us wear masks till the end of time.

One of my biggest remaining desires is to be allowed to sing in the congregation at church - we have taken to trooping outside and singing in the carpark, but it's not quite the same. I've a nasty feeling that they will hold onto this rule as long as they can too, especially as there aren't many votes in it.
    Do you think "masks until the end of time" will be a particularly vote winning policy?
    No, but unfortunately there are about 3 more years before we are likely to get to vote this lot out. It would be quite nice to go back to normal a little sooner. Also, at present we have a leader of HM opposition who seems to believe that his role consists of nodding along with government policy, unless it involves designer wallpaper.

While I'd like the remaining restrictions lifted, there remains a substantial number of antivaxxers here (much more than in the UK), so I'd expect those restrictions to be lifted more slowly than I'd like.

But you know what? Normal life is 99% back now. How much time do I spend in supermarkets anyway?
    Once everyone that wants it has been double jabbed there shouldn't be internal restrictions at that point; you end pandemics via herd immunity, and if it turns out Covid has a massive natural R, well the antivaxxers will have chosen the rough route out the pandemic.
    Yes, but the rest of us are funding their cluttering up the NHS both soon and in the long term.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

So far impact of vaccines is dramatic in UK, pronounced in US, not at all visible in EU (I expect that to start changing this month)...UK ended up being exemplary not only in speed but also in prioritizing those at risk. In Italy notably those in 30-40 age group were vaccinated faster than 70-80. Result: Italy has been recording hundreds of deaths every day

These are current EU daily death and case rates, which seem to show the start of straightline downward trends, and look more encouraging. But still about 6-8 weeks to go to choke off the current wave if this trend holds.

One difficult question will be if early or fast unlockdowns stretch out the time.

I think that's about right, with (as you say) the proviso that different countries are going to have very different experiences,

Why does Latvia only have 14% of its population having had even a single dose of vaccine? While Finland (who's followed the UK strategy of using first doses as widely as possible) is up to 35%?

Generally, though, the EU is getting its shit together. Last week it went from 22.9% with at least one dose to 27.2% - so it remains about 10 to 12 weeks behind the UK.
    Robert is there a reason you keep quoting percentage of adult figures, when most nations and international comparisons have been quoting numbers on a percentage of people basis?
    No he's not.

As of 1/5 the EU is at 24.2% with 1 dose. Not 27.2%.

The figures he keeps quoting as percentage of people are actually percentage of over 18s.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    If match cannot kick off by 7pm the match needs rescheduling for tomorrow or awarded 3 nil to Liverpool.

If it kicks off after 7pm then it clashes with Line Of Duty and that isn't permissible.

So Manchester United are unable to fulfill their fixture due to behaviour of their fans, award Liverpool a 3-0 win and move on.

Liverpool supporters desperation is embarrassing

Win it on the field
    You don’t have a sense of humour do you?

No wonder why you’re so perpetually bitter at Mark Drakeford.
    Not when it comes to scousers desperate attempt to try to get in the top four

It is however, hilarious
    The only thing hilarious is your constant defence of Boris Johnson despite all your misgivings.

So Manchester United are unable to fulfill their fixture due to behaviour of their fans, award Liverpool a 3-0 win and move on.

Win it on the field

It is however, hilarious
    The only thing hilarious is your constant defence of Boris Johnson despite all your misgivings.
    You haven't been reading my comments over the last few days then
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kle4 said:

🚨 | BREAKING: The UK will pay £400 million to Tehran to free Iranian-British woman Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - Source

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire
    Interesting.. I thought we don’t normally pay ransoms?

Not when they're called ransoms at any rate. Seems an improbably large amount even if it happened (with a pretext that it was for something else too).
    Does 'pay' mean unfreeze Iranian assets?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

If match cannot kick off by 7pm the match needs rescheduling for tomorrow or awarded 3 nil to Liverpool.

If it kicks off after 7pm then it clashes with Line Of Duty and that isn't permissible.

H may be behind all this.

Win it on the field

It is however, hilarious
    Are you back on the anti Boris bandwagon?

Hopefully by Thursday you'll be back off it if so.

Win it on the field

It is however, hilarious
    You'll do your usual trick of within a few days of defending on something else.
    dixiedean said:

H may be behind all this.
    Yup.

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

No he's not.

The figures he keeps quoting as percentage of people are actually percentage of over 18s.
    No, he is quoting % of population
    Mr. Gate, probably next year.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    Douglas Ross now making global news. From Der Spiegel:-

"A senior Tory is distancing himself from Boris Johnson over the luxury renovation of his official apartment. An important party friend speaks about possible resignation.''

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/boris-johnson-ranghoher-tory-vertreter-geht-auf-distanz-a-2fe96aaf-a390-48dd-9bc8-0e030ee830be
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458

But nobody, absolutely nobody, watches BBC any more, especially not live. At least that's what I keep being told on here. Have I got this right?
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

No he's not.

Going from pop to over 18s is going to change the % by much more than 3 !

Win it on the field

It is however, hilarious

No - I have tried to balance my comments but the allegations yesterday not only on the flat but also getting donors to pay for child care would not be acceptable to me but I will wait to hear the result of the various reviews

If he has broken the ministerial code then I believe he has to resign

However, it is amusing how 'cross' he gets his opponents and if he goes I would miss that

But nobody, absolutely nobody, watches BBC any more, especially not live. At least that's what I keep being told on here. Have I got this right?
    Apart from sport (and the occasional news story) Line Of Duty are the only thing I've watched live in recent years.
    F1: post-race ramble:
    https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2021/05/portugal-post-race-analysis-2021.html

Straight line pace advantage was pretty handy for Mercedes.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Game off. Great effort Man Utd fans.
    Match postponed, called it.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

No he's not.

He is saying population, but the figures are percentage of adults not percentage of population.

It is wrong to mix the two up.

If you think it is population I would be curious to see any primary source saying 27.2% of population instead of 27.2% of over 18s.
    Match postponed
    No revised date for game.
    Betcha there is no crowd. Whenever it is.
    What about overseas TV rights?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    PamelaW said:

Hello Everyone and thank you TSE for this interesting article on Electoral Reform.

I voted Yes in AV referendum but perhaps mistakenly in the hope it was the first step towards PR.

As the No side won, they have unfairly used the result as validation against PR which it isn't as AV may be determined to be closer to FPTP than to PR.

Surely I am not the only to believe the way to achieve PR is for both 1&2 to happen.
    1. Tories win GE 2024 with an overall majority. Most important meaning Labour then have lost 5 consecutive GEs.
    2. Realizing they are likely to lose subsequent GE, Tories hang on till 2029 which results in no overall majority with Labour having most seats. Labour form either Coalition or Pact with Libdems who insist on PR preferably without referendum or grudgingly to having one first. Obviously this would depend on number of Labour MP supporters of PR at that time which I suspect could be a substantial number having lost 5 GEs. I suspect Labour would choose AMS as they did for Scotland and Wales 22 years ago.

In this scenario knowing they would have less seats in subsequent GE, Labour hang on till 2034 at which point we our first PR GE.

Kind regards

Pamela

You are probably right.

We know how the scenario of Labour promising reform in opposition - and even starting work on it in government - ends, once they start to believe they can regularly win majorities under the current system.

The route to reform is Labour realising it can never win a majority again, coupled with the Tories being discredited enough that they don’t win one themselves.

You can’t fault the clown for making a decent start to bring this about. It now needs Labour to do its bit.
    dixiedean said:

No revised date for game.
    Betcha there is no crowd. Whenever it is.
    What about overseas TV rights?

I expect the fans will repeat today's demonstration whenever it is rearranged

Apparently police say not safe to play the game

Win it on the field

It is however, hilarious

No - I have tried to balance my comments but the allegations yesterday not only on the flat but also getting donors to pay for child care would not be acceptable to me but I will wait to hear the result of the various reviews

However, it is amusing how 'cross' he gets his opponents and if he goes I would miss that

Remind me - did you call for Priti Patel to resign when she was found to have broken the ministerial code?
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, but the rest of us are funding their cluttering up the NHS both soon and in the long term.
    Won't be an issue in the UK so much as elsewhere with our humungous uptake amongst older individuals
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited May 2021
    Slightly curious part of my latest election material (now at 8 LD, 4 Con, and 1 parish level indy) where it exhorts me to 'Vote Conservative and only Conservative', with 'only' underlined.

They don't have sufficient candidates for the ward and the other options are LDs or an Indy, so it seems self defeating to encourage me to not to even consider voting anyone else to 'stop' their main opponents, even if they could hardly advise me to vote for the Indy over the LDs. Feels like they could have talked about stopping the LDs, and let it be implied any extra non-conservative votes could go to that effort.

Win it on the field

It is however, hilarious

Remind me - did you call for Priti Patel to resign when she was found to have broken the ministerial code?
    I am not a fan of Priti Patel but did not make any comment on that issue

Boris is PM and I agree with Douglas Ross that as PM, if he has broken the ministerial code then he should resign
    edited May 2021
    @Pulpstar This seems to be the source that @rcs1000 is using, which he's linked to before.

If you read that link it explicitly says that it is percentage of 18+ not percentage of population.

https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker-mobile.html#uptake-tab
    Over to Spurs now...
    Taz said:

kle4 said:

Clegg was an idiot. He should have gone for a fundamental shake-up of voting in local elections only, then let that bed in for ten years before going for change in Westminster in a second bite.

Would the party have gone for that? They were in government for the first time in many many decades and might not ever have another chance. Like most MPs they probably forgot local elections existed and got tunnel vision on making a 'big' change regarding parliamentaries.
    OK, not just Clegg. The entire Liberal Democrat Party were idiots. They would now have a massive and widespread presence of councillors and coalition councils able to feed into a broad-based push for Westminster seats.
    Tactically naive for sure. It would have been far more palatable for the Tories for local government.
    Indeed. It would have given the Tories a significant in to many councils in the cities and the north (with Labour similarly benefitting round Nick’s way, saving him having the grovel to the local LibDems to scrape him in), and hugely improved the vibrancy of local politics, making elections meaningful in areas currently taken for granted by the ruling party.

But the LibDem MPs were paranoid about being personally punished for the coalition, and thought that a system that gave them the second preferences of local Labour voters would see them home. An appallingly short term view of electoral reform, and one that overlooked the minor problem that the coalition left many Labour voters hating the LibDems even more than the Tories.
    edited May 2021

@Pulpstar This seems to be the source that @rcs1000 is using, which he's linked to before.

If you read that link it explicitly says that it is percentage of 18+ not percentage of population.

https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker-mobile.html#uptake-tab

OK - this is what was throwing me:- see :o !

edited May 2021
    Pulpstar said:

'among adults 18+'

Eg France shows 26.7 while Our World In Data shows 22.9

Not sure why the Latvia numbers line up.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    tlg86 said:

Game off. Great effort Man Utd fans.

They'll probably dock the club points which could be good news for their competitors
    kle4 said:

Slightly curious part of my latest election material (now at 8 LD, 4 Con, and 1 parish level indy) where it exhorts me to 'Vote Conservative and only Conservative', with 'only' underlined.

They don't have sufficient candidates for the ward and the other options are LDs or an Indy, so it seems self defeating to encourage me to not to even consider voting anyone else to 'stop' their main opponents, even if they could hardly advise me to vote for the Indy over the LDs. Feels like they could have talked about stopping the LDs, and let it be implied any extra non-conservative votes could go to that effort.

In an FPTnP multi-seat election, you are at a disadvantage if you don’t put up a full slate of candidates, since many of your voters will use their remaining vote(s) for your opponents. This is what your under-staffed Tories are trying to head off.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530

Pulpstar said:

'among adults 18+'

Eg France shows 26.7 while Our World In Data shows 22.9

Not sure why the Latvia numbers line up.
    Although it says upto 2nd May I think the data is older than that because France upto the 1st May had jabbed 30% of adults and 23% of the population and that’s from the official government source .
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    For those who missed it-Boris's latest PPB.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h5mErP1E6A
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:

"A senior Tory is distancing himself from Boris Johnson over the luxury renovation of his official apartment. An important party friend speaks about possible resignation.''

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/boris-johnson-ranghoher-tory-vertreter-geht-auf-distanz-a-2fe96aaf-a390-48dd-9bc8-0e030ee830be

It was much easier for Baroness Davidson to pull this "who me gov? The Conservatives? Never heard of them." act than for a sitting Westminster MP.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Andy_JS said:

Leicester is back on the list of places with higher than average cases.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

Twas ever so...

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

It was much easier for Baroness Davidson to pull this "who me gov? The Conservatives? Never heard of them." act than for a sitting Westminster MP.
    Isn’t Douglas Ross just the Westminster leader of the Ruth Davidson party?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Nice trolling

US Senator Mitt Romney has been booed by Republicans at a convention in Utah.

The Utah senator and former presidential candidate was the only Republican to vote twice to impeach ex-President Donald Trump.

As Mr Romney took the stage at a state party convention in West Valley City, delegates shouted that he was a "communist" and a "traitor".

Amid the jeering, he asked the crowd: "So what do you think about President Biden's first hundred days?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56963053
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117
    Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

And to forget to include the C word on the Ruthie No to Indyref2 Party bumf in Scotland.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Selby v Murphy at the 2007 world championship, semi-final.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOpALsjZMPg
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

In an FPTnP multi-seat election, you are at a disadvantage if you don’t put up a full slate of candidates, since many of your voters will use their remaining vote(s) for your opponents. This is what your under-staffed Tories are trying to head off.
    Another classic of FPTP and which, not unreasonably most voters will be unaware of when they go out to vote. They quite reasonably vote for their preferred option, have votes leftover use them for what they perceive to be the best of the rest and don't realize they have just unelected their preferred candidates.

Bonkers system.
    kjh said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Another classic of FPTP and which, not unreasonably most voters will be unaware of when they go out to vote. They quite reasonably vote for their preferred option, have votes leftover use them for what they perceive to be the best of the rest and don't realize they have just unelected their preferred candidates.

Bonkers system.
    FPTP works best with single member constituencies.

Using FPTP with multimember constituencies is just weird.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

I expect if Bozo is found to have broken the ministerial code Ross will do a u-turn and find a way to walk back his comments. Rules are only there for everyone else , Bozo will just call it a witch-hunt and the cult will continue to cheer him on !
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,665
    PamelaW said:

Hello Everyone and thank you TSE for this interesting article on Electoral Reform.

I voted Yes in AV referendum but perhaps mistakenly in the hope it was the first step towards PR.

As the No side won, they have unfairly used the result as validation against PR which it isn't as AV may be determined to be closer to FPTP than to PR.

Surely I am not the only to believe the way to achieve PR is for both 1&2 to happen.
    1. Tories win GE 2024 with an overall majority. Most important meaning Labour then have lost 5 consecutive GEs.
    2. Realizing they are likely to lose subsequent GE, Tories hang on till 2029 which results in no overall majority with Labour having most seats. Labour form either Coalition or Pact with Libdems who insist on PR preferably without referendum or grudgingly to having one first. Obviously this would depend on number of Labour MP supporters of PR at that time which I suspect could be a substantial number having lost 5 GEs. I suspect Labour would choose AMS as they did for Scotland and Wales 22 years ago.

In this scenario knowing they would have less seats in subsequent GE, Labour hang on till 2034 at which point we our first PR GE.

Kind regards

Pamela

The agument was going well enough, until it got towards the end. Not many people want AMS. Putting this forward just muddies the water.

And the other problem is that Labour are not to be trusted.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    edited May 2021
    ydoethur said:

Yorkshire beat Northants by one run.

Streaming county cricket on YouTube is great.

If the Man U fans get bored, could they please go down to Bristol and disrupt play?

I have a horrible feeling that's the only thing that can save Glaws from total humiliation here.
    I think when I give up teaching - which I am planning to do in a year or so’s time unless the entirety of the DfE, OFSTED, OFQUAL and their fellow posh, stupid, lazy, rude, cowardly, selfish bullies like Topping and Roger all suffer painful and amusing accidents - I think I will go in for cricket commentary.

I just seem to have the most extraordinary talent for changing the course of events. Just imagine how exciting my commentary would make Test cricket. Why, it might even make the Hundred interesting.

No way should Gloucestershire have won that. But they did. And they now top Group 2. The toughest group.

Poor old Leicestershire though. What a disappointment. How often do you set 348 and lose?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    IanB2 said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Clegg was an idiot. He should have gone for a fundamental shake-up of voting in local elections only, then let that bed in for ten years before going for change in Westminster in a second bite.

Would the party have gone for that? They were in government for the first time in many many decades and might not ever have another chance. Like most MPs they probably forgot local elections existed and got tunnel vision on making a 'big' change regarding parliamentaries.
    OK, not just Clegg. The entire Liberal Democrat Party were idiots. They would now have a massive and widespread presence of councillors and coalition councils able to feed into a broad-based push for Westminster seats.
    Tactically naive for sure. It would have been far more palatable for the Tories for local government.
    Indeed. It would have given the Tories a significant in to many councils in the cities and the north (with Labour similarly benefitting round Nick’s way, saving him having the grovel to the local LibDems to scrape him in), and hugely improved the vibrancy of local politics, making elections meaningful in areas currently taken for granted by the ruling party.

But the LibDem MPs were paranoid about being personally punished for the coalition, and thought that a system that gave them the second preferences of local Labour voters would see them home. An appallingly short term view of electoral reform, and one that overlooked the minor problem that the coalition left many Labour voters hating the LibDems even more than the Tories.
    Yes, as a lifelong suppolrter of PR I've always thought the way forward was to have it for councils - monolithic one-party councils are objectively a bad thing (though of course splendid when it's our lot), as nearly everyone who isn't a fanatic recognises. Then when we've got used to that it'll feel less of a jump to switch for Westminster.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Starmer offer it in return for LDs standing down in some target seats.
    kjh said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Bonkers system.
    And the example given above of a 16-candidate election for 15 places raises another interesting situation. Most voters feel obliged to use all of their given votes, and would feel they aren’t exercising their votes to the maximum if they cast fewer than the allowable maximum.

Yet casting fifteen votes among a field of sixteen is effectively a single negative vote for the candidate you like the least.

Assuming your motivation extends beyond excluding the village idiot from the council, this is clearly sub-optimal. All other things being equal, you have the most impact on an election result if you cast a number of votes roughly equal to half the field. That way, those you choose are advanced at the expense of those you don’t. Obviously, if you know and like more people, you cast more votes, and if fewer, then fewer votes. But casting all fifteen is most unlikely to be the optimal strategy, yet it is what many voters would feel they should do.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

The Williams is reportedly quite sensitive to wind, which could be part of it.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,705

Apart from sport (and the occasional news story) Line Of Duty are the only thing I've watched live in recent years.
    Strictly Come Dancing?
    Nigelb said:

Make sure all politicians are kept well away from it and it should be fine.
    edited May 2021

IanB2 said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Yes, as a lifelong suppolrter of PR I've always thought the way forward was to have it for councils - monolithic one-party councils are objectively a bad thing (though of course splendid when it's our lot), as nearly everyone who isn't a fanatic recognises. Then when we've got used to that it'll feel less of a jump to switch for Westminster.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Starmer offer it in return for LDs standing down in some target seats.
    Starmer needs to raise his sights a little; it is clearly going to take longer than it should for Labour to realise what is increasingly looking like the inevitable.

Other than simplifying the argument, LibDems standing down is unlikely to deliver much of an advantage to Labour candidates. Whereas the LibDems would face the risk that being tarnished in advance with a deal with Labour would make winning soft Tories over in their own targets more difficult.

Any understanding will face the same asymmetry that Blair and Ashdown faced; in electoral terms it is in Labour’s interest to help the LibDems along in a fair few Home Counties and West Country seats, whereas there is little the LibDems can do to return the electoral favour. The return for Labour arises because the benefit to them of removing those otherwise safe Tory MPs is at least as significant as it is for the LibDems.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Hot air exhaust blowing was banned a while back.

Strictly Come Dancing?
    I generally watch that on a slight delay or later on.

I never watch the results show live as I know the result beforehand.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Really?

Nobody seems to have told Messrs Johnson, Williamson, Burgon...
    edited May 2021
    A friend of mine has a new his old chef job back.
    Pulpstar said:

A friend of mine has his old chef job back.

Is he Swedish?
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Really?

Nobody seems to have told Messrs Johnson, Williamson, Burgon...
    They've never been sticklers for the rules.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If the Man U fans get bored, could they please go down to Bristol and disrupt play?

I have a horrible feeling that's the only thing that can save Glaws from total humiliation here.
    I think when I give up teaching - which I am planning to do in a year or so’s time unless the entirety of the DfE, OFSTED, OFQUAL and their fellow posh, stupid, lazy, rude, cowardly, selfish bullies like Topping and Roger all suffer painful and amusing accidents - I think I will go in for cricket commentary.

I just seem to have the most extraordinary talent for changing the course of events. Just imagine how exciting my commentary would make Test cricket. Why, it might even make the Hundred interesting.

No way should Gloucestershire have won that. But they did. And they now top Group 2. The toughest group.

Poor old Leicestershire though. What a disappointment. How often do you set 348 and lose?
    The shame of it is that there are also good teachers leaving as well as the dross like you.

Still, your never going to be pupils will be better off
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    IanB2 said:

kjh said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Bonkers system.
    And the example given above of a 16-candidate election for 15 places raises another interesting situation. Most voters feel obliged to use all of their given votes, and would feel they aren’t exercising their votes to the maximum if they cast fewer than the allowable maximum.

Yet casting fifteen votes among a field of sixteen is effectively a single negative vote for the candidate you like the least.

Assuming your motivation extends beyond excluding the village idiot from the council, this is clearly sub-optimal. All other things being equal, you have the most impact on an election result if you cast a number of votes roughly equal to half the field. That way, those you choose are advanced at the expense of those you don’t. Obviously, if you know and like more people, you cast more votes, and if fewer, then fewer votes. But casting all fifteen is most unlikely to be the optimal strategy, yet it is what many voters would feel they should do.
    In my parish Council we did have to have 6 votes for 7 candidates to get the village crazy off. It worked.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nico679 said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

I expect if Bozo is found to have broken the ministerial code Ross will do a u-turn and find a way to walk back his comments. Rules are only there for everyone else , Bozo will just call it a witch-hunt and the cult will continue to cheer him on !
    Ross resigned after Barnard Castle so I have to credit him with a level of genuine distaste for Boris.

In fact, Boris resigning is the Conservatives vest hope for stopping Sindy.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Been hoping to see some really strong vaccination ramp-ups in Europe, as their supply starts to flow.

This is not that. The French target for 15 June is to make it to where the UK was on 27 March - a week before Easter.

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1388913719971885058?s=20
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The shame of it is that there are also good teachers leaving as well as the dross like you.

Well, they won’t be. Because I am a good teacher, and they like me.

But you know that, as you have been told slowly and distinctly in words of one syllable, and choose to lie about it. Repeatedly. Including by deliberately libelling me requiring intervention from the mods, which really does show what a scumbag you are.

So I was wrong. I missed out ‘hypocritical’ and ‘dishonest’ as well.

The tragedy is that you can’t see that it is loathsome people like you that are the problem. Why should we put up with trash talk from somebody who demands others work under conditions he could never face himself?

No wonder you are so sensitive on your record as an officer. Your character suggests you must have been a truly awful one, and I do feel desperately sorry for anyone who served under your command.

I’m going to go back to ignoring you because ultimately (1) you are not really aworth paying attention to for all the above mentioned reasons (as most other posters seem to think from the way they react to you) and (2) such quarrels are boring for everyone else.

But I wanted you to be clear, in that thing you call your brain, just how despicable you really are.

Good evening, and good bye.
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But you know that, as you have been told slowly and distinctly in words of one syllable, and choose to lie about it. Repeatedly. Including by deliberately libelling me requiring intervention from the mods, which really does show what a scumbag you are.

The tragedy is that you can’t see that it is loathsome people like you that are the problem. Why should we put up with trash talk from somebody who demands others work under conditions he could never face himself?

No wonder you are so sensitive on your record as an officer. Your character suggests you must have been a truly awful one, and I do feel desperately sorry for anyone who served under your command.

I’m going to go back to ignoring you because ultimately (1) you are not really aworth paying attention to for all the above mentioned reasons (as most other posters seem to think from the way they react to you) and (2) such quarrels are boring for everyone else.

But I wanted you to be clear, in that thing you call your brain, just how despicable you really are.

LOL tl/dr: the truth hurts.

Good luck in your new career.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    So, just 2 hours to the Line of Duty finale!

Definately the TV event of the year.
  • Was out in White City today and also over towards Victoria. Busy but nothing was full, once again.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    kinabalu said:

I see what you did there.

Ideally we would be able to go and watch it in a pub somewhere. But most will be ram packed. Ideally we would be able to find a quiet out of the way one with a screen.

Any ideas?
    kinabalu said:

Is that finishing already? Feels like only yesterday that people starting banging on about it.

BBC still incapable of doing a full length series I'm guessing?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And you sir are an ass
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

No he's not.

I also quote Israel and the UK as percentage of adult population - where I tend to be lazy is about distinguishing between 16+ and 18+.

And there's a very specific reason why I do that: the adult population is the addressable market. I want to see what proportion of people who could be jabbed, have been jabbed.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161

kinabalu said:

Is that finishing already? Feels like only yesterday that people starting banging on about it.

More like BBC not needing to pad series out with interminable filler in order to sell the right amount of adverts.
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And you sir are an ass
    LOL x2

I appreciate yer man needs assistance. Just proves my point that he's not up to the job.
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Ideally we would be able to go and watch it in a pub somewhere. But most will be ram packed. Ideally we would be able to find a quiet out of the way one with a screen.

Any ideas?
    It won't be Hastings.
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The problem with the officer class is that they rarely have any.

kinabalu said:

Philip we get your view of the BBC but that doesn't mean everything it produces is no good. Around an unprecedented 11m people will be tuning in tonight including yours truly. Just accept that people believe the BBC offers good quality programming and move on.
    Fenman said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sorry what doesn't the officer class have?
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Any ideas?
    It won't be Hastings.
    I still don't fully understand the £50,000.
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And you sir are an ass
    I’ve got to say I think that’s a bit harsh, Eek.

I’ve known some truly lovely donkeys. Patient, friendly, kindly, hard working. Always wanting a fuss made.

I’ve never known why they get such a bad press. OK, so they’re never going to win the Brain of Britain but at least they are useful members of the biosphere.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161
    TOPPING said:

Fenman said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Class.

kinabalu said:

I9,300 episodes of The Archers so far, seems like a decent run to me.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Evening all :)

If you want to cite Manchester as an example of the inequity of FPTP, I'll raise you the London Borough of Newham. In 2018, Labour won 67% of the vote and every single seat - all 60.

So, that two thirds of the votes and 100% of the power. The one third of electors who voted for parties other than Labour (Conservative, LD, Green or whatever) got nothing at all - no representation, no voice.

One of the reasons I'm a supporter of PR at local elections in particular is my belief local democracy, accountability and transparency benefits from a plurality of voices. I'm not for example arguing Labour has no mandate to run Newham - clearly 67% of the vote is a mandate and a majority. Had Labour won 41 seats out of 60, they'd still have that majority, that control.

However, the other 19 Councillors would represent the other strands of opinion, the other voices in the Borough which aren't Labour. There would be an opposition in the Council Chamber whose views would be heard and reported. As it is, there's nothing. That to me is manifestly wrong.

The argument for PR at Westminster is different and I'm not wholly convinced but at local level I am and I would say the same applies to Councils with overwhelming Conservative, LD or Ratepayer control. Having Council chambers which represent the true profile of votes rather than the FPTP outcome would, I think, lead to a re-invigoration of local democracy and that's not the worst argument.

kinabalu said:

It's a perfect length. Taut. But if you want a marathon the best thing is to binge the whole thing from year dot on iplayer. Assuming you've paid the license fee.
    Tres said:

TOPPING said:

Fenman said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Class.
    Ah ok thanks. Define class.
    edited May 2021
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

LOL tl/dr: the truth hurts.

Good luck in your new career.
    And your qualifications for pronouncing on the situation of teachers are what, exactly ?

(& FWIW, I wish I’d had a history teacher as good as @ydoethur when I was in school,)
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,701
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Any ideas?
    It won't be Hastings.
    At the end of last series 100k was recovered from the OCG gang but Hastings kept the 50K and gave it to the widow of the officer played by Stephen Graham
    edited May 2021
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And you sir are an ass
    I’ve got to say I think that’s a bit harsh, Eek.

I’ve known some truly lovely donkeys. Patient, friendly, kindly, hard working. Always wanting a fuss made.

I’ve never known why they get such a bad press. OK, so they’re never going to win the Brain of Britain but at least they are useful members of the biosphere.
    Listen @ydoethur it seems that an earlier post of mine upset you. If so I'm truly sorry. I didn't mean for it to have done.

I actually don't mind if you're not up to the job of teaching and I apologise if I gave the impression that I did. Everyone has their uses and I have great confidence that you'll find yours.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    PamelaW said:

Kind regards

Pamela

Pamela, welcome! Though I fear you may be toooooooo polite for the likes of us - pretty rough trade hereabouts, with more than our share of wide-boys (in more than one sense).

May please you to know, that in yesterday's local special elections in Texas, voters in city of Austin voted in favor of Ranked Choice Voting (up to five preferences, just like New York City) for municipal elections. Though unclear IF the Texas legislature will go along and allow it; not exactly what you'd call a progressive outfit, especially at present moment.
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Philip we get your view of the BBC but that doesn't mean everything it produces is no good. Around an unprecedented 11m people will be tuning in tonight including yours truly. Just accept that people believe the BBC offers good quality programming and move on.
    Oh I have no doubt that the BBC is capable of making about 4 hours of what people consider to be good TV a year.

I just don't think that's good value for money at all.
    Taz said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Any ideas?
    It won't be Hastings.
    At the end of last series 100k was recovered from the OCG gang but Hastings kept the 50K and gave it to the widow of the officer played by Stephen Graham
    Ah! Thanks. So a good 'un. Did he keep the other half? I know he had money problems. But isn't he supposed to be whiter than white?
This discussion has been closed.