Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The joys of first past the post – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2021 in General
The joys of first past the post – politicalbetting.com

Just putting this out there… #LE2021 #democracy pic.twitter.com/4Lr6ee5Dft

Read the full story here

Comments

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited May 2021
    First!

(Past the post)
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,760
    2nd
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited May 2021
    I like the Irish system best.

Even better, IMO, would be to sever geography from constituencies for Westminster elections.

I’d go with generational representation.

Each age gets a few mps. We could even have rolling elections every month.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,886
    FPT (and frankly, nothing is more interesting than the idea we are not alone in the Universe - and how that might impact politics...)

Leon said:
    Turns out it’s not just America

‘Former Israeli space #security chief Haim Eshed has revealed that aliens from a "Galactic Federation" have been in contact with the US and #Israel for years, but humanity isn't ready to know this.

Or so he claims.’

https://twitter.com/jerusalem_post/status/1335948000707928066?s=21

Someone has put acid in the drinking water in Jerusalem AND the Pentagon?

Eshed is fascinating because for 30 years he had an impeccable record on the Israeli satellite programme, then said "For 30 years I've had an impeccable record on the Israeli satellite programme, so now I can say this stuff."

Joint human-alien bases under the Martian surface was a bit more out there than anybody else has gone, however. So maybe he was acid-spiked.

Or else he blurted out the biggest story in the history of human existence.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited May 2021
    On the unidentified phenomena, I think we may simply be entering a period where defence establishments are becoming more open about their failure to understand them, but that our current science is still unable to take us much usefully further than that for now.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,071
    edited May 2021
    FPT

Presumably if @squareroot2 was an employer, they would have no problem with a supplier who bids for contracts, paying for a (potentially undeclared) significant personal benefit for one of their key employees with decision-making powers. None of his business, right?

Which is obviously bollocks. In my previous employment, every 6 months or so I was required to do extensive anti-bribery training about accepting benefits and/or gifts from suppliers and customers.

It is our business. I'm not saying it's necessarily an issue, but it is our business.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,301
    That's a poor result for Labour on Manchester City Council, I believe.

When places go dominant, they go really dominant. Some are still well run, but places with literally no second party opposition just seems problematic. Factioning must be horrendous.

I'd say no way the Conservatives would have accepted the principle of another system for local government, as it might then lead to calls for changes at parliamentary, but they allowed a non-FPTP for PCCs after the AV referendum, so maybe.
    Clegg was an idiot. He should have gone for a fundamental shake-up of voting in local elections only, then let that bed in for ten years before going for change in Westminster in a second bite.
    edited May 2021
    7 votes for that Town Council is nothing. There are lots of unwarded parishes where you end up voting for more than that - I always feel bad when there are, say, 16 candidates for 15 seats. I've seen an unwarded parish with 21 seats, contested election, without parties to make the choices easier.

Clegg was an idiot.

Fixed your post for you

Clegg was an idiot. He should have gone for a fundamental shake-up of voting in local elections only, then let that bed in for ten years before going for change in Westminster in a second bite.

Would the party have gone for that? They were in government for the first time in many many decades and might not ever have another chance. Like most MPs they probably forgot local elections existed and got tunnel vision on making a 'big' change regarding parliamentaries.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,259
    edited May 2021
    Sounds like the government is breaking its promise to end all Covid-19 social measures by 21st June. Despite the fact that the figures are far better than anyone was expecting at this stage.

FPT (and frankly, nothing is more interesting than the idea we are not alone in the Universe - and how that might impact politics...)

Leon said:

‘Former Israeli space #security chief Haim Eshed has revealed that aliens from a "Galactic Federation" have been in contact with the US and #Israel for years, but humanity isn't ready to know this.

Or so he claims.’

Eshed is fascinating because for 30 years he had an impeccable record on the Israeli satellite programme, then said "For 30 years I've had an impeccable record on the Israeli satellite programme, so now I can say this stuff."

Joint human-alien bases under the Martian surface was a bit more out there than anybody else has gone, however. So maybe he was acid-spiked.

At 88 years old, the possibility of some form of degenerative cognitive decline has to be more likely than a Galactic Federation.
    Or a "fuck the lot of you" sense of humour....
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    This board cops some flack for its dearth of posts about, erm, political betting but this aliens shite, I mean, come on...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,828
    edited May 2021
    DougSeal said:

This board cops some flack for its dearth of posts about, erm, political betting but this aliens shite, I mean, come on...

Only incel virgins who want a rectal probe from aliens (or anyone else) believe this aliens nonsense.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 43,867
    edited May 2021
    DougSeal said:

If the Aliens were speaking to Trump and Netayahu it is little wonder that they don't want to meet any more inhabitants of planet Earth.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56961940

"India has recorded its highest daily coronavirus death toll since the pandemic began - a day after it became the first country to register more than 400,000 new cases.

Its health ministry said 3,689 people had died within the past 24 hours."

So conservatively 30,000 deaths a day on the majority view on underrecording.
    kle4 said:

Would the party have gone for that? They were in government for the first time in many many decades and might not ever have another chance. Like most MPs they probably forgot local elections existed and got tunnel vision on making a 'big' change regarding parliamentaries.
    OK, not just Clegg. The entire Liberal Democrat Party were idiots. They would now have a massive and widespread presence of councillors and coalition councils able to feed into a broad-based push for Westminster seats.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,545
    AV is a terrible system that manages to combine the disadvantages of FPTP and PR without the advantages of either. The country in its wisdom binned the idea - nothing to do with "giving Nick Clegg and the Liberal Democrats", whatever that means.

DougSeal said:

Only incel virgins who want a rectal probe from aliens (or anyone else) believe this aliens nonsense.
    Found this old Instagram post of graffiti I saw outside Whitechapel Station in Sept 2019

• WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480

DougSeal said:

The distinction is between "believing in aliens" and defence bureaucrats simply becoming more open that they don't know what some of the phenomena are.
    Fishing said:

AV is a terrible system that manages to combine the disadvantages of FPTP and PR without the advantages of either. The country in its wisdom binned the idea - nothing to do with "giving Nick Clegg and the Liberal Democrats", whatever that means.

I think TSE omitted the words “a good kicking”.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,533

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

It’s like an episode of he Tomorrow People. Galactic Federation.

We have telescopes and observatories looking back into space many thousands of light years. Looking at stars, galaxies, black holes and other weird and wonderful things. They’d easily spot a flying saucer working its way here.
    Must be doubts about Manchester United v. Liverpool taking place today.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,650
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Found this old Instagram post of graffiti I saw outside Whitechapel Station in Sept 2019

Which PM signed us up to the Interplanetary Coalition without asking the people?!
    Re interplanetary aliens: Can one of the lawyers on here tell me if they have violated immigration law by entering the UK without a visa? Or are they covered by pet quarantine legislation? I'm more and more of the view that there could be a loophole here that we need to close asap.
    DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

Yah, wordpress saved an old draft, fixed now.
    IshmaelZ said:

"India has recorded its highest daily coronavirus death toll since the pandemic began - a day after it became the first country to register more than 400,000 new cases.

Just had a conversation with a Malaysian friend. Cases rising steeply there, and only 3% vaccinated. Another lockdown expected.

I don't think the Asian wave is just going to be India.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,533

kle4 said:

OK, not just Clegg. The entire Liberal Democrat Party were idiots. They would now have a massive and widespread presence of councillors and coalition councils able to feed into a broad-based push for Westminster seats.
    Tactically naive for sure. It would have been far more palatable for the Tories for local government.

Why?

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Which PM signed us up to the Interplanetary Coalition without asking the people?!
    It was in the Masstricht Treaty.
    Foxy said:

Why?
    The Glazer out protestors have broken the security cordon and have got inside Old Trafford.

https://twitter.com/ODDSbible/status/1388847593946501129
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Foxy said:

Why?
    Aliens.
    Fishing said:

Re interplanetary aliens: Can one of the lawyers on here tell me if they have violated immigration law by entering the UK without a visa? Or are they covered by pet quarantine legislation? I'm more and more of the view that there could be a loophole here that we need to close asap.

Essential workers. Those anal probes aren’t going to insert themselves. Yet...

Foxy said:

Why?
    The Glazer out protestors have broken the security cordon and have got inside Old Trafford.

https://twitter.com/ODDSbible/status/1388847593946501129
    Ooh.
    DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

What is the evidence for the idea that the electorate voted to punish the Lib Dems anyway rather than taking a view on the question on the ballot paper? Patronising nonsense.
    Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

What is the evidence for the idea that the electorate voted to punish the Lib Dems anyway rather than taking a view on the question on the ballot paper? Patronising nonsense.
    Was that directed at me? I’ve no idea.
    DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

That's utterly absurd. They're permitted to insert those in all countries as it is part of their religious/cultural expression and it is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act.
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

We have telescopes and observatories looking back into space many thousands of light years. Looking at stars, galaxies, black holes and other weird and wonderful things. They’d easily spot a flying saucer working its way here.
    No they wouldn't. Stars and galaxies are big, flying saucers are very very small. We have never even obtained an image of an exoplanet, let alone anything smaller outside the solar system.
    Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

There was I think a YouGov poll conducted shortly after the referendum which asked people what their primary motive was and sending a message to the Lib Dems/opposing AV because Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems were backing it were right at the top.
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

That's utterly absurd. They're permitted to insert those in all countries as it is part of their religious/cultural expression and it is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act.
    But AI is coming to the anal probe industry whether they like it or not.
    edited May 2021
    US inflation;

“We’re raising prices. People are raising prices to us and it’s being accepted.”

“It just won’t stop,” Mr Buffett added. “People have money in their pocket and they’ll pay the higher prices.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/warren-buffett-sees-significant-inflation-amid-red-hot-us-recovery-1.4553558

A blip then a return to the status quo, or a new normal?

What do PB’ers recon?

Quite possibly the most important question in global politics, right now.
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Just had a conversation with a Malaysian friend. Cases rising steeply there, and only 3% vaccinated. Another lockdown expected.

I don't think the Asian wave is just going to be India.
    Friend of mine from Uni is a big cheese in the Thai business world and does a lot of work in China. Looking at the recent Thai data I’m surprised he’s able to come and go from Beijing as freely as he seems to be.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,147
    When every vote matters turnout is higher in elections, see the higher than general election turnouts we saw in for example in the 2014 Scottish independence referendum and the 2016 Brexit referendum. It would help avoid outrages like the ones seen in the tweets at top and bottom of this piece.

Checks turnout in the AV referendum...

42.2%!

:hushed:
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited May 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

No they wouldn't. Stars and galaxies are big, flying saucers are very very small. We have never even obtained an image of an exoplanet, let alone anything smaller outside the solar system.
    That's true.

On the flip side, you'd imagine it'd be quite easy to spot the level of activity a Galactic Federation would imply.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 26,905

Because some of the players have been abducted by the Galactic Federation?
    Raab preparing the ground for ongoing measures after June 21st. The government needs to be straight with us, will we ever get the old normal back or not. Starmer needs to start asking these fucking questions now, not idiotic shite about wallpaper and nannies. We need clarity now, not mealy mouthed bullshit from ministers who have clearly made the judgement call despite the evidence and data showing vaccines are enough to keep the virus under control.
    tlg86 said:

When every vote matters turnout is higher in elections, see the higher than general election turnouts we saw in for example in the 2014 Scottish independence referendum and the 2016 Brexit referendum. It would help avoid outrages like the ones seen in the tweets at top and bottom of this piece.

Checks turnout in the AV referendum...

42.2%!

:hushed:

I didn’t bother voting IIRC.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,885
    ping said:

US inflation;

“We’re raising prices. People are raising prices to us and it’s being accepted.”

“It just won’t stop,” Mr Buffett added. “People have money in their pocket and they’ll pay the higher prices.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/warren-buffett-sees-significant-inflation-amid-red-hot-us-recovery-1.4553558

A blip then a return to the status quo, or a new normal?

What do PB’ers recon?

Been significant pint price inflation round my way. £5 to £5.50 is normal now, also been rises in the price of food at restaurants. I don't live in London. They won't drop them.
    MaxPB said:

Raab preparing the ground for ongoing measures after June 21st. The government needs to be straight with us, will we ever get the old normal back or not. Starmer needs to start asking these fucking questions now, not idiotic shite about wallpaper and nannies. We need clarity now, not mealy mouthed bullshit from ministers who have clearly made the judgement call despite the evidence and data showing vaccines are enough to keep the virus under control.

What has he been saying?
    MaxPB said:

I genuinely believe they have not made their minds up on what they might be yet.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Because some of the players have been abducted by the Galactic Federation?
    Best explanation of Liverpool's post-Christmas form I've seen yet.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,972
    🚨 | BREAKING: The UK will pay £400 million to Tehran to free Iranian-British woman Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - Source

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire
    Interesting.. I thought we don’t normally pay ransoms?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

I genuinely believe they have not made their minds up on what they might be yet.
    They should have by now. Normal. Not new normal. From 21/6, zero domestic restrictions.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 45,700

DougSeal said:

The distinction is between "believing in aliens" and defence bureaucrats simply becoming more open that they don't know what some of the phenomena are.
    Yes precisely. I don’t ‘believe’. I’m just open to persuasion if compelling data emerges.

Has it? Not really. It’s intriguing but it’s hardly slam dunk

The compelling aspect of this is all the senior politicians, senators, CIA directors, intel experts, journalists, scientists (the guy at Harvard) who are now saying ‘there is something out there we don’t understand’

Either they are experiencing a mass hallucination (unlikely), or they are involved in a grand conspiracy (possible, but implausible) or they have been hoodwinked by the Chinese (how?) or everyone is just seeing a new physical phenomenon (but surely they’d rule that out)

That leaves two other explanations. Incredibly advanced unknown human technology, or the same tech but this time made by aliens, visiting Planet Earth

MaxPB said:

What has he been saying?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56964296

Mr Raab said the UK was "in a good position" to "get life back as close to normal as possible".

The foreign secretary told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show: "But there will still need to be some safeguards in place."

There's no party that wants to let go of this all powerful toolset they've been given over our lives. As soon as the virus is defeated (and it already is, tbh) they won't be able to rule over every minutiae of our lives, how far apart we need to sit from each other, making us check in to all venues so they know where everyone is at all times, whether or not people can have sex with perfect strangers. The politicians don't want to give up control of anything.
    edited May 2021

🚨 | BREAKING: The UK will pay £400 million to Tehran to free Iranian-British woman Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - Source

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

The Iranians are pissed off because just prior to the revolution, they paid for some tanks (I think?) which never got delivered.

Britain has never refunded them. AIUI, Britain theoretically accepts that there is a debt that at some point should be repaid.

The Iranians have informally linked Nazanin’s release with repayment of the debt.

So it’s a bit more complicated than a simple ransom.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,545
    IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

In addition if you are looking at something 1000 light years away that means you are also looking at what was happening there a 1000 years ago so you wouldn't see the massive space armada they only just launched.
    MaxPB said:

One question I have is that if it's true that people who had previously been infected with SARS had protection against covid, why is there such pessimism about the need for new vaccines?
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

But the problem isn't that, it's that they've clearly made up their mind that they will be necessary at some level. By the time we get to June 21st they won't be, the vaccine programme will have single jabbed 90% of adults by then and double jabbed 60%+. The baseline should be no restrictions at all, and ministers should be working from that basis not the other way around.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,739
    Proud to live in one of the rarefied pockets of the country that said Yes to electoral reform in that 2011 referendum. Only wish I could remember how I voted. I think it was Yes but I'm not 100% sure.

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

Isn't it a refund for their tanks ordered but never delivered?

MaxPB said:

One question I have is that if it's true that people who had previously been infected with SARS had protection against covid, why is there such pessimism about the need for new vaccines?
    Because it suits the politicians and scientists who don't want to give up control. The data supports a pretty big unlocking now.
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

In addition if you are looking at something 1000 light years away that means you are also looking at what was happening there a 1000 years ago so you wouldn't see the massive space armada they only just launched.
    Unless they travel faster than light we need not worry for a bit.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,496
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

You clearly have a warped sense of priorities.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,607
    So they didn't get any Greens? Definite result for Manchester, they are nothing but grief.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,655

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

BoZo spends more of our money to buy a good headline.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,661
    edited May 2021

kle4 said:

Two things here. The Liberal Democrat members were not consulted on the details of the Coalition Agreement. There were no mechanisms in place for this, nor was there time. Remember - Brown was very keen to continue in office, and the country was in need of stable government.

Secondly, Lib Dem members and activists do not forget the importance of local government. Top politicians do tend to do so - the higher they rise, the more they tend to forget the importance of the local base. As it happens, the present Johnson "government" is intent only in squeezing to death the last breath from local government.

But I certainly agree that it would have been much better - for the country as a whole - if we had managed to increase the democratic process at the local government level.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Like Quebec, Catalonia is an example of how NOT to do things. Both held the threat of separatism over their people’s, and businesses voted with their feet - going elsewhere. Is that really what Scots want?

https://twitter.com/2351onthelist/status/1388628958145654784?s=20

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

I thought that this was all explained in Julian May's rather excellent Galactic Milieu series which, with the benefit of hindsight, was clearly just a plant to get us used to the idea.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What has he been saying?

Mr Raab said the UK was "in a good position" to "get life back as close to normal as possible".

The foreign secretary told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show: "But there will still need to be some safeguards in place."

There's no party that wants to let go of this all powerful toolset they've been given over our lives. As soon as the virus is defeated (and it already is, tbh) they won't be able to rule over every minutiae of our lives, how far apart we need to sit from each other, making us check in to all venues so they know where everyone is at all times, whether or not people can have sex with perfect strangers. The politicians don't want to give up control of anything.
    India thought the virus was defeated three months ago. You can afford to be convinced it is here now, the government cannot. Johnson's "dead bodies" outburst suggests that he is even more anti restrictions than you are.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,692
    edited May 2021
    Foxy said:

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

Isn't it a refund for their tanks ordered but never delivered?
    The UK could deliver 1200 fifty year old Chieftains just for the bantz.

I'd thought that a big sticking point was the Iranians wanting interest on the outstanding amount.
    Scott_xP said:

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

BoZo spends more of our money to buy a good headline.
    Surely an SAS raid would have been a lot cheaper?
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

You clearly have a warped sense of priorities.
    Perhaps we will be able to klingon to our little planet for a while yet.
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

I thought that this was all explained in Julian May's rather excellent Galactic Milieu series which, with the benefit of hindsight, was clearly just a plant to get us used to the idea.
    I remember reading “Intervention” as a teen but for some reason never went on to read the rest, despite really enjoying it. I should revisit.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,244
    FTP Felix:
    Interested in your predictions re Hartlepool /WM. I'd be the other way for Hartlepool but not heard much to suggest WM would go red. Your thinking?

Nothing solid, but it strikes me that a huge city-rich region is likely to swing with the national tide more than Hartlepool where special factors abound (huge Brexit vote, popular Tory mayor...), and the tide seems to be ebbing from the Tories at the moment. Also, to win the prize (is there a prize?) it's usually a good idea to pick an unusual prediction.

I chatted to a Birmingham Labour MP last week who said that frankly they weren't sure either way. I don't think she'd have spun that to me - she genuinely felt it was marginal, and that was before the polls started to shift.
    edited May 2021
    So far impact of vaccines is dramatic in UK, pronounced in US, not at all visible in EU (I expect that to start changing this month)...UK ended up being exemplary not only in speed but also in prioritizing those at risk. In Italy notably those in 30-40 age group were vaccinated faster than 70-80. Result: Italy has been recording hundreds of deaths every day

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1388853906697031683?s=20

• RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,972

Like Quebec, Catalonia is an example of how NOT to do things. Both held the threat of separatism over their people’s, and businesses voted with their feet - going elsewhere. Is that really what Scots want?

https://twitter.com/2351onthelist/status/1388628958145654784?s=20

The Scots won’t acknowledge the consequence of the vote until is has actually happened. It was the same with Brexit.
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What has he been saying?

India thought the virus was defeated three months ago. You can afford to be convinced it is here now, the government cannot. Johnson's "dead bodies" outburst suggests that he is even more anti restrictions than you are.
    The situation here is completely different, the comparison to India is specious, they've vaccinated 8% of adults with a single dose, we've done 65%, they've done 3% with both doses, we've done 25% and that figure is going up by 6% per week.

The science is on the side of no restrictions in June. Data not dates is what the government said, now that the data supports a full unlockdown and no more measures they've decided to ignore the data.
    DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

I remember reading “Intervention” as a teen but for some reason never went on to read the rest, despite really enjoying it. I should revisit.
    You really should. The Galactic Milieu series is way better than anything else she wrote. Obviously she was getting help....
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,626

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

The British and American governments froze some Iranian assets at the time of the revolution there. This may be the unfreezing of them.
    edited May 2021

FTP Felix:
    Interested in your predictions re Hartlepool /WM. I'd be the other way for Hartlepool but not heard much to suggest WM would go red. Your thinking?

Nothing solid, but it strikes me that a huge city-rich region is likely to swing with the national tide more than Hartlepool where special factors abound (huge Brexit vote, popular Tory mayor...), and the tide seems to be ebbing from the Tories at the moment. Also, to win the prize (is there a prize?) it's usually a good idea to pick an unusual prediction.

I chatted to a Birmingham Labour MP last week who said that frankly they weren't sure either way. I don't think she'd have spun that to me - she genuinely felt it was marginal, and that was before the polls started to shift.

A lot depends on turnout. By-elections rarely break 40% don't they?

I am on the Tories for betting purposes, but who knows? If those C2DE BXP voters don't fancy turning out, then it could well be Lab hold.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 57,971

FTP Felix:

My limited soundings back in my old home town point to Street retaining the mayor job. Seen as getting things done and so on.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 59,942
    edited May 2021
    Referee turned away from Old Trafford by the fans and still some inside the stadium

Fans chanting ' you will play when we let you'

Looks as if the game will be postponed but to when as this is going to repeat itself
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,420
    ping said:

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

The Iranians are pissed off because just prior to the revolution, they paid for some tanks (I think?) which never got delivered.

Britain has never refunded them. AIUI, Britain theoretically accepts that there is a debt that at some point should be repaid.

The Iranians have informally linked Nazanin’s release with repayment of the debt.

So it’s a bit more complicated than a simple ransom.
    I have mentioned before my father's rather junior role in the affair all those years ago. The more stories he tells of his time in the civil service the more his early retirement makes absolute sense. But he is still costing the country a fortune as he is just about to reach the age of 95 and start taking his 41st year of an inflation proofed pension! Sigh!

Having said that I am not convinced the modern civil service is any better.
    rcs1000 said:

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

The British and American governments froze some Iranian assets at the time of the revolution there. This may be the unfreezing of them.
    "@guyelster
    #BREAKING #Iran to free four Americans accused of spying in exchange for four Iranians held in the US and the release of $7 bln in frozen Iranian funds: Al-Mayadeen"
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,626
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

Hang on. They might have seen the first glimmering of human life tens of thousands of years ago, and set off then. In which case, they might be arriving (checks calendar) next Tuesday.
    rcs1000 said:

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

It's the Tanks. Wallace has been keen to refund the Iranians for some time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/2020/09/07/will-britain-follow-in-americas-footsteps-and-repay-iran-for-undelivered-military-hardware/
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Or so he claims.’

Hang on. They might have seen the first glimmering of human life tens of thousands of years ago, and set off then. In which case, they might be arriving (checks calendar) next Tuesday.
    Nah, they have been here since at least the 1940's apparently. The only thing that is surprising about that is that mankind's behaviour in the 1940s must have had them thinking whether introductions were really in order or whether sterilisation of the planet was more appropriate.

Referee turned away from Old Trafford by the fans and still some inside the stadium

Fans chanting ' you will play when we let you'

Looks as if the game will be postponed but to when as this is going to repeat itself

I wondered if this might happen today.

Fantastic if they get the game postponed.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 57,971
    On WMids mayor. Rentoul's sweepstake entries so far:

West Midlands: Street 92%, Byrne 8%
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/2020/09/07/will-britain-follow-in-americas-footsteps-and-repay-iran-for-undelivered-military-hardware/
    Is Iran still flying those F14s the US ill-advisedly sold the Shah before the 1979 revolution? They must be on their last legs by now if so.
    DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

Is Iran still flying those F14s the US ill-advisedly sold the Shah before the 1979 revolution? They must be on their last legs by now if so.
    Being upgraded apparently:

https://www.businessinsider.com/iran-overhaulw-last-active-f-14-fleet-photos-2015-3?IR=T
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,074
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Via @Paul_Bedfordshire

What's Gromit's opinion on the matter?

Of course, with all the media boycotting social media this week, they can't get involved with all the fun and games at Old Trafford.
    Never believe anything until its officially denied.....

Strong steer away from this... told U.K. position has not changed, nothing new coming, Iran has claimed this many times before and the Iranian state / their media should not be trusted

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1388861325326045189?s=20
This discussion has been closed.