Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Vaccine passports – the first major political divide in the fight against COVID? – politicalbetting.

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    felix said:

Nigelb said:
    That is very concerning. I didn't think Covid normally impacted so much on the young. Is this a feature of the new variants?
    If you have large numbers of cases amongst young people, young people WILL end up in the ICU. Young people ARE less likely to die but it can send anyone to an ICU.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    felix said:

Nigelb said:
    That is very concerning. I didn't think Covid normally impacted so much on the young. Is this a feature of the new variants?
    There were plenty of young people involved n the earlier waves.

While COVID is extremely likely to attack the older and those who are obese and have pre-existing conditions, the risk to younger patients is non zero. And there are very few 85+ in the population. But lots and lots of under 50s.
  • Options

Have we had any proper Alba polling?

No, but I think there's a Scottish Yougov in the pipeline which should provide some clarity.
    I expect the SNP to achieve an overall majority on its own
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    edited April 2021

felix said:

MattW said:

felix said:

Please tell me she has nothing to do with Oxford or indeed any university anywhere.
    Cambridge also not holding its reputation well. Posting such inflammatory stuff would probably require the assistance of the aforementioned Toby Young's Free Speech Union. That poor woman who acted for Disney got fired for a clumsy holocaust comparison which was little more than a less articulate "First they came for the ........ ".

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1377578586689961986?s=20
    "Professor of Postcolonial Studies in the Faculty of English at the University of Cambridge"

Various Twitter controversies. Attention seeker.
    This seems a more serious point on the report:

https://twitter.com/blackpoppies14/status/1377522299570638848
    "Did they deliberately find another Stephen Bourne so they could use the name?
    Would not put it past them!"

Those.
    Replies.

There's one Bourne every minute.
    Indeed there is:

The Bourne Identity [Politics]
    The Bourne [White] Supremacy
    The Bourne Legacy [of Empire]
    Jason Bourne [in the USA]
    The Bourn[e]ville chocolate factory!
    felix said:

Please stop, this is getting Bournographic.

We're venturing into undiscovered country...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,453
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:
    Middle class white guy off twitter thinking he understands race better than Tony Sewell. Not a great look.
    Problem is, many black and mixed race people also disagree with Tony Sewell. I don’t get the impression from conversations with my family and friends, as well as my social media feeds that he has credibility within black communities in this country.
    I think it is an excellent debate to have, and will get around to reading the report. That some of the single issue campaigners are getting a bit of pushback is excellent. It will help keep them honest.

On this report it is quite noticeable that the people complaining have pivoted away from evidence to anecdotes aka "Lived Experience".
    SNIP
    SNIP
    Yep, that (and similar) is definitely an important thing to look at. I absolutely get the need to not lump all minority groups together and just proclaim that our society is endemically racist and rigged against everyone who isn't white. Also, being white myself and not facing any of these issues, I don't feel right in attempting to lay the law down on this any which way. But an important point to stress (imo) is that racism can hold you back in ways other than experiencing very obvious and regular discrimination from white people here in 2021. Like you say, there is surely a legacy from the shameful past. How can there not be.
    It was hundreds of years ago , it is just bollox. People in this country were treated as bad by their lords and masters in those days. Nowadays there is as much discrimination against poor people of all colours. It is a good crutch for some people for sure. Lots and lots of non whites prosper in this country just same as whites and many are left behind just like whites. Too many outrage buses whining about something from hundreds of years ago.
    No I don't think it's bollox. It can be used as a crutch, sure, but I'm pretty sure that being black in this country is by and large still a disadvantage in life. As is being poor of course. No argument there. Shouldn't be an either/or contest really. Should be able to focus on reducing both class and racial inequality.
    I've seen scant evidence that being non-white holds you back in this country, nor that non-white people are treated differently by the white majority. Increasing amount of 'well this is how it feels' but not much evidence.
    Certainly plenty of people who are non-white are poorer - as you would expect, their families often being relatively recent arrivals to the country who have had to start at the bottom.
    And certainly poor people do worse.
    But addressing the problem of poor people doing worse will address the problem of non-white people doing worse.
    There may be respects in which people who are culturally different, rather than racially different, face exclusions of various sorts?
    I think, however, the CRT agenda does far more harm than good, and ultimately ends up creating more barriers than it tears down. Would non-white children at schools 20 years ago have protested at the presence of a 'racist' union jack, or at having to learn 'white' history - i.e. British history, as the non-white presence in British history prior to WW2 is vanishingly small? Would an agenda such as 'no white schools from brown kids' have made sense? I don't think it would. I think this sort of thinking has arisen because of the influence of CRT. I don't see how this can possibly help a future with fewer barriers.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not one for HYUFD’s unique Scottish sub sample method of divination.
    It is not even a Holyrood poll, though of course it does not matter even if the SNP got 100% there will be no legal indyref2 allowed by this UK Tory government. 2014 was a once in a generation vote
    I think that's a bingo from me.
    Beijing is of course now removing all non pro China legislators from the Hong Kong legislature and replacing them with pro China patriots, the Scottish Nationalists should thank themselves lucky that the UK government is only refusing indyref2, not following the Chinese government and replacing all Nationalist MSPs with Unionists
    You are insane and as a member of the conservative party I condemn your remarks, especially as you hold a position in our party
    Tough, we are not giving in to the Nationalists
    Have you cleared your statement with your local party
    It is the official policy of the UK wide party never mind just the local party

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1355851689736216576?s=20

https://twitter.com/GlennBBC/status/1324616486397370368?s=20
    Yawn......... a nobody
    Interesting cushion placement - like the UJ and Saltire are having a friendly but perhaps slightly awkward dialogue. I'd have gone for broke and placed the UJ where the Saltire is, with the Saltire placed in front of it. Not concealing it, but sitting comfortably in-front of it - the UK is our solid foundation, but we're in Scotland and we celebrate it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,019
    Just shows the paucity of talent in both parties if an absolute numpty like her could have been a choice. It beggars belief, she is a real numpty.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

felix said:

MattW said:

felix said:

Please tell me she has nothing to do with Oxford or indeed any university anywhere.
    Cambridge also not holding its reputation well. Posting such inflammatory stuff would probably require the assistance of the aforementioned Toby Young's Free Speech Union. That poor woman who acted for Disney got fired for a clumsy holocaust comparison which was little more than a less articulate "First they came for the ........ ".

"Professor of Postcolonial Studies in the Faculty of English at the University of Cambridge"

Those.
    Replies.

There's one Bourne every minute.
    Indeed there is:

The Bourne Identity [Politics]
    The Bourne [White] Supremacy
    The Bourne Legacy [of Empire]
    felix said:

Please stop, this is getting Bournographic.

No, just Bourne to be Wild.
  • Options

MattW said:

felix said:

Those.
    Replies.

That's a white guy publishing books about the history of black people. The mob will be coming for him soon and he wont even see it happen.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is not even a Holyrood poll, though of course it does not matter even if the SNP got 100% there will be no legal indyref2 allowed by this UK Tory government. 2014 was a once in a generation vote
    Beijing is of course now removing all non pro China legislators from the Hong Kong legislature and replacing them with pro China patriots, the Scottish Nationalists should thank themselves lucky that the UK government is only refusing indyref2, not following the Chinese government and replacing all Nationalist MSPs with Unionists
    You are insane and as a member of the conservative party I condemn your remarks, especially as you hold a position in our party

Yawn......... a nobody
    Interesting cushion placement - like the UJ and Saltire are having a friendly but perhaps slightly awkward dialogue. I'd have gone for broke and placed the UJ where the Saltire is, with the Saltire placed in front of it. Not concealing it, but sitting comfortably in-front of it - the UK is our solid foundation, but we're in Scotland and we celebrate it.
    Also check out that deluxe flag with frills in the background. Cor blimey.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,019

No, but I think there's a Scottish Yougov in the pipeline which should provide some clarity.
    I had a Yougov but no politics , they must be avoiding independence supporters.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Right up until the moment Starmer leads Labour in voting against the Police, Crime, Sentencing, and Courts Bill 2021, that is.

At which point it just looks thick.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330

Andy_JS said:
    After desperately trying and failing to prove that a black man with a doctorate didn't actually have a doctorate ... all in the name of anti-racism.

The 'logic' of Woke.
    At some point she surely loses her job. She's an outright race-baiter. It's all she does
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:
    Middle class white guy off twitter thinking he understands race better than Tony Sewell. Not a great look.
    Problem is, many black and mixed race people also disagree with Tony Sewell. I don’t get the impression from conversations with my family and friends, as well as my social media feeds that he has credibility within black communities in this country.
    I think it is an excellent debate to have, and will get around to reading the report. That some of the single issue campaigners are getting a bit of pushback is excellent. It will help keep them honest.

On this report it is quite noticeable that the people complaining have pivoted away from evidence to anecdotes aka "Lived Experience".
    There's plenty of hard data that can be used to support a conclusion that racism remains a significant issue for many people in the UK. As for lived experience, it shouldn't be treated lightly. If large numbers of people say they experience racism in their daily life, you have to take that very very seriously. Not everything can be measured and independently verified. In fact many things in society can't. Not being able to measure and independently something does not mean it isn't a problem or can't be responded to.
    "If large numbers of people say they experience racism in their daily life, you have to take that very very seriously. "

No you dont. They are almost certainly lying.
    Why do you say that?
    Because people dont experience racism in their daily lives. They just dont. Daily life, every day? Have some truth in this.
    (obvious disclaimer, somewhere someone will)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I had a Yougov but no politics , they must be avoiding independence supporters.
    The fact people on here are being polled is generally worrying. We are in no way representative of normal people. :D
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    I'm about to invest a wedge in Astra shares. Would anybody say no, stop, bad call?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:
    After desperately trying and failing to prove that a black man with a doctorate didn't actually have a doctorate ... all in the name of anti-racism.

The 'logic' of Woke.
    At some point she surely loses her job. She's an outright race-baiter. It's all she does
    This is Cambridge University we're talking about. The University of Woke. (And also some science, which I understand it does pretty well.)
    But the concept that any of this might perhaps not represent the straightforwardly mainstream view of all right-thinking people will be met with baffled incomprehension.
    She'll get a promotion.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,174

I have a friend whose daughter is called Alba. I imagine she is in profound distress over recent political developments.

Think about the poor feckers called Douglas Ross.
    Never mind, may all be over soon.
  • Options
    England vaccinations

First - 188,045
    Second - 341,748
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yawn......... a nobody
    Also check out that deluxe flag with frills in the background. Cor blimey.
    UK politicians should wrap themselves in the Saltire more - it seems to confuse and discombobulate Scottish nationalists that English people quite like the Saltire and the way it celebrates Scottish culture and heritage. It would be fun if the UK Government ruled that the Saltire should be flown more.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Interesting Labour poster.

Suspect the Conservative response may show Starmer kneeling.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,599
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

There's plenty of hard data that can be used to support a conclusion that racism remains a significant issue for many people in the UK. As for lived experience, it shouldn't be treated lightly. If large numbers of people say they experience racism in their daily life, you have to take that very very seriously. Not everything can be measured and independently verified. In fact many things in society can't. And not being able to measure and independently something does not mean it isn't a problem or can't be responded to.
    Thinking about this report a little bit, the difference between outcomes for people of Afro Carribean descent and more recent African immigrants does seem important. I'm only speculating but having slavery as an integral part of you heritage and the reason you are where you are would seem likely to me to have a big effect on how you perceive society and your place in it. Also your parents and grandparents having experienced the UK when institutional and more general societal racism were definitely things must be an influence.

It's definitely an area worth exploring; running a gormless 'the upsides of slavery' line is the absolute opposite of that though.
    Yep, that (and similar) is definitely an important thing to look at. I absolutely get the need to not lump all minority groups together and just proclaim that our society is endemically racist and rigged against everyone who isn't white. Also, being white myself and not facing any of these issues, I don't feel right in attempting to lay the law down on this any which way. But an important point to stress (imo) is that racism can hold you back in ways other than experiencing very obvious and regular discrimination from white people here in 2021. Like you say, there is surely a legacy from the shameful past. How can there not be.
    I don't believe the "if I am not suffering from XYZ myself, I can't talk about it" line. To me that is just an acceptance for single issue lobby groups to run riot with whatever they want to make up. Campaigners need to be kept honest.

One blatant example that sticks out is the people lobbying from 2017 that the HoC only has 1% of disabled people as MPs to represent the 20% or so of people who can theoretically be identified as disabled. And therefore do what we say ... disability quotas ... yadda yadda yadda.

When examined, the 1% list seemed to consist of people in wheelchairs, and even excluded Theresa May herself.

Yet they made it as far as contributing a video report to the Daily Politics without being called on it.

• Options

I have a friend whose daughter is called Alba. I imagine she is in profound distress over recent political developments.

Haha - I know someone with the surname Ross and the middle name Douglas. Escaped by a whisker! :lol:
  • Options

England vaccinations

First - 188,045
    Second - 341,748

Excellent, should be close to 600k UK-wide?

If they can maintain this through April the slowdown will be no such thing....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,599

How many recent Labour MPs / Lords have turned out to be crooks?
  • Options
    Well don't invade it then, you chumps.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,649

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

There's plenty of hard data that can be used to support a conclusion that racism remains a significant issue for many people in the UK. As for lived experience, it shouldn't be treated lightly. If large numbers of people say they experience racism in their daily life, you have to take that very very seriously. Not everything can be measured and independently verified. In fact many things in society can't. Not being able to measure and independently something does not mean it isn't a problem or can't be responded to.
    "If large numbers of people say they experience racism in their daily life, you have to take that very very seriously. "

Why do you say that?
    Because people dont experience racism in their daily lives. They just dont. Daily life, every day? Have some truth in this.
    'Daily life' does not mean every day. It means in their normal existence; routinely. I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume people experience racism routinely.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?
    An example. My wife works in surgery centers in multiple locations giving vacation coverage. One doctor she covers for is 6'4" ex-military, 50s. The town is in deepest darkest Maryland (Cumberland, in the panhandle, near WVa). Surgery starts at 07:00 so that means driving to work mostly in the dark for a lot of the year.

He is worried every day that he will be pulled over by the police, assumptions made because he is black, and he will be shot. This is not unreal. This is not occasionally. This is every day. At my wife's suggestion, he drives to work in his scrubs with a stethoscope and his hospital credentials around his neck.

I realize this is not the UK and that the British police do not routinely kill black men. But I am sure it would not be very hard at all to find an equivalent, if less extreme, example.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kinabalu said:

I'm about to invest a wedge in Astra shares. Would anybody say no, stop, bad call?

Quasi or for real!?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Leon said:

England vaccinations

First - 188,045
    Second - 341,748

There will be days where we're under 100k first doses but ultimately in May and June we'll have a huge number of doses and our reopening isn't going to be slowed down either way.
  • Options
    MattW said:

The current Tory PM is a crook
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Nigelb said:
    Have the doctors tried simply telling them that they are all-but-unaffected by covid?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Which country is Lavrov referring to? :dizzy:
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Keir Starmer's decision to come out against vaccine passports is one of the more interesting political moves of recent times.

Especially given the polling.

Fascinating actually.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?
    They don't because they don't - so if they say they do they are likely lying.

Were you on the Report team by any chance?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

England vaccinations

First - 188,045
    Second - 341,748

Were we not expecting the rollout to slowdown on the 29th? These are pretty decent numbers if we can keep them up throughout April.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Have the doctors tried simply telling them that they are all-but-unaffected by covid?
    I here the virus is only quasi-effective in humans.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

England vaccinations

First - 188,045
    Second - 341,748

There will be days where we're under 100k first doses but ultimately in May and June we'll have a huge number of doses and our reopening isn't going to be slowed down either way.
    Quite frankly it doesn't matter if there's days where there's effectively zero first doses, any more than there were days in the past with effectively zero second doses.

If all the vulnerable are vaccinated then we should be able to reopen. The quid pro quo of doing twice as many first doses twelve weeks ago is that there's twice as many second doses due now. If they're getting done then good.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022

Haha - I know someone with the surname Ross and the middle name Douglas. Escaped by a whisker! :lol:
    Spare a thought for this chap:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Douglas
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?
    An example. My wife works in surgery centers in multiple locations giving vacation coverage. One doctor she covers for is 6'4" ex-military, 50s. The town is in deepest darkest Maryland (Cumberland, in the panhandle, near WVa). Surgery starts at 07:00 so that means driving to work mostly in the dark for a lot of the year.

He is worried every day that he will be pulled over by the police, assumptions made because he is black, and he will be shot. This is not unreal. This is not occasionally. This is every day. At my wife's suggestion, he drives to work in his scrubs with a stethoscope and his hospital credentials around his neck.

I realize this is not the UK and that the British police do not routinely kill black men. But I am sure it would not be very hard at all to find an equivalent, if less extreme, example.
    But that seems to have been all the evidence that has been needed: American police sometimes kill black civilians - therefore Britain is institutionally racist. I'm sure you can see why some of us can see a few more steps are needed in the logic chain.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

England vaccinations

First - 188,045
    Second - 341,748

That's a good number for England only. It will be interesting to see how the overall volume of jabs changes over the next few weeks. Clearly there will be lots of 2nd jabs to give out.

Our local village pharmacy vaccination centre which has been open for a few weeks is going to close apparently due to lack of vaccines.

As someone in the first half of my 40s I'm not expecting to be jabbed until May now.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:
    I remember the BBC reporting in January about UK COVID wards that were full of children

Oh wait, that report was based on a bare-faced lie.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:
    Nah, it's Macron's self-taught epidemiology knowledge that's quasi-ineffective.
  • Options
    @contrarian People will still attack Starmer for having no positions
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    https://twitter.com/leavedavidalone/status/1377611979284680707

Someone has done the maths instead of Hugo Gye. 646K doses in total.
  • Options

England vaccinations

First - 188,045
    Second - 341,748

Is that the first day with more than a third of a million second doses? That's over 0.5% of the UK second-dose vaccinated in England alone in one day isn't it?

The second-dose graph must be looking interesting now for comparisons.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Or they're just experiencing life from their own perspective. I don't think we realise how much our beliefs affect our life experience. If I felt that society was looking down on me for the colour of my skin, I can imagine that snooty waiters, rude people at ticket kiosks, unhelpful taxi drivers, posh snobs being posh snobs, people flying Union Jack flags, would all be viewed from a completely different perspective - though the actual circumstances of those encounters could be identical from person to person.

That said, I don't massively disagree with @kinabalu that we can still make things better. I think where I really differ is in the language used. We speak of 'reducing inequality' and 'reducing white privilege', but I think both those terms are wrong - because they focus attention on perceived problems, and they call for the 'winners' to be 'brought down a peg or two', because of the spurious idea that this will make the 'losers' happier. I don't want to 'reduce inequality' (I don't mind if it's reduced, but it's not my aim), I want to spread prosperity. By the same token, I suppose to don't want to end 'white privilege', I want to extend privilege. We can all get behind extending privilege. We can joyfully measure how much we're all extending it by.
  • Options

Right up until the moment Starmer leads Labour in voting against the Police, Crime, Sentencing, and Courts Bill 2021, that is.

Nonsense.

Opposing an individual piece of domestic policing legislation does not mean being against law and order. Nor does it mean a party should abandon efforts to portray itself as a law and order party.

Everyone agrees there should be limits on police powers, and that's a perfectly legitimate matter to debate. You agree with the proposed legislation, which is fine. But it's bonkers to expect others to cede the pro-law and order ground to the Conservatives simply because they disagree on that one.

• Options
    It's actually BIG

646,000 jabs in total, very near 1% of the pop. Great effort in Scotland

https://twitter.com/leavedavidalone/status/1377611979284680707?s=20
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

Clearly not relevant here. His chance as an unarmed black mad of been shot by american police is not really statistically different for a white person. It sounds like he is living in a state of fear more akin to a mental illness that isnt warranted. And once again, this is not the UK
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Over 400k second jabs. 💉💪
  • Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?
    'Daily life' does not mean every day. It means in their normal existence; routinely. I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume people experience racism routinely.
    So if not daily, give me a sense of what you mean by routine. Weekly? Fortnightly? Monthly? Yearly?
  • Options
    MaffewMaffew Posts: 235
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

A couple of UK examples, not as serious as being shot, but nevertheless they stuck in my mind.

I was chatting with a black colleague about the BLM protests and she (highly educated, middle class lawyer) said she'd just settle for being able to go in a clothes shop without the security guard following her around.

Closer to home, my wife (East Asian ethnically) took on my surname for professional purposes despite not being keen on changing it for cultural reasons* because she thought it would help her career more than having a stereotypically Chinese name. She has said since that she found clients and colleagues who hadn't met her before interacted with her differently when they first encountered her as "Jane Smith" rather than "Jane Wang".

Neither of these are things that I would notice as a white guy or things that are easy to measure. I don't think it makes them untrue or unimportant.

*Very much her decision, I was completely unfussed about whether she took my name or not.
  • Options
    From the England vaccination report, to the 28th March

First vaccinations :

Under 50 23.57%
    50-54 77.76%
    55-59 82.50%
    60-64 86.94%
    65-69 90.45%
    70-74 93.31%
    75-79 94.37%
    80+ 93.85%

Actual number of remaining, unvaccinated people

Under 50 20,532,219
    50-54 933,311
    55-59 709,827
    60-64 449,286
    65-69 276,097
    70-74 192,716
    75-79 118,060
    80+ 176,779
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Nigelb said:
    Under 44-year-olds comprise about 14% of all hospitalisations in the UK. Realise that this is ICU but I think we'd need to see national data before drawing any conclusions from a tiny sample.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I believe with 4.5m people in the UK having had a second dose we have now fully vaccinated more people than any other European country except Turkey after overtaking Germany and Russia. Impressive.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

My mum and dad have been called in for their second doses (Pfizer) this weekend.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    I didn't know who he was before this morning! :lol:
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cookie said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

But that seems to have been all the evidence that has been needed: American police sometimes kill black civilians - therefore Britain is institutionally racist. I'm sure you can see why some of us can see a few more steps are needed in the logic chain.
    Yes. But see my first post today on what people mean by 'institutionalized racism'. There are undoubtedly widespread subconscious attitudes and actions that, taken with other environmental factors (as suggested by Foxy, for example) combine to produce outcomes that disproportionally (not exclusively) impact along racial lines.

Now I can see how some would argue that that is not institutional. And (as a systems person) I can see how some would argue that it is.

PS And my post you responded to was not addressing that point, but the ridiculous claim that no-one experiences racism in their daily lives.
  • Options

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

Clearly not relevant here. His chance as an unarmed black mad of been shot by american police is not really statistically different for a white person. It sounds like he is living in a state of fear more akin to a mental illness that isnt warranted. And once again, this is not the UK
    That is just a weird statement to make as they are statistically different, significantly different.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

They interviewed some youth in Hackney, Tottenham, etc to get feedback on the TV series Top Boy (about gangs in Hackney, Tottenham, etc).

In the TV show a lot of the exposition and story development occurs on the local streets, and in and around the open air markets.

The biggest criticism of the show was that the youth hanging out, chatting, walking, wouldn't get ten yards without being stopped by the police.
  • Options
    kjh said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

That is just a weird statement to make as they are statistically different, significantly different.
    Really?

What statistically were the odds of an innocent black driver being pulled over and shot by the Police in the UK last year compared to white drivers?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

This is exactly what is required to meet the uptick in the second vaccinations. 400K average for the whole month, or thereabouts...

The question will be how much 1st vaccinations there is capacity for.

Even at the reduced rates, there were, on the 28th approximately 2.8 million people in England left in the over 50 groups who were not vaccinated. If we assume that 90% take-up is done, that is more like 1 million left to do...
  • Options

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?
    So if not daily, give me a sense of what you mean by routine. Weekly? Fortnightly? Monthly? Yearly?
    Don't be daft. You understand what routinely means.

A turn of phrase has a meaning that we all understand and don't take literally. A cock and bull story does not need either a cock nor a bull in it.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

@contrarian People will still attack Starmer for having no positions

Or they attack Starmer for having positions that are bandwagon jumping.

Being against vaccine passports certainly isn't that. 60% support one for going to the pub?

That brave, that is. Genuinely. That's why its so interesting.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    I think this could play. Tories have cut police numbers and have got a number of corruption scandals on the go.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

Opposing bad bills doesn't make you look thick.
  • Options

It's quite an amusing response from Gillian Keegan. I felt like I'd seen his name before and turns out Mr Kasamu resigned last month before changing his mind. So with u-turns like that he fits in well with this government.

The only other mention I can see of him was standing in the safe Labour seat of Croydon North in 2017. He's a councillor in Hertfordshire too.

• Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited April 2021
    Cookie said:

TimT said:

In addition, when large proportions of some sections of American society believe that more than 1000 unarmed black men are killed by police every year (actual figure: less than 100) and that a majority of the people killed by police are black (actual figure: 24.9%), it's fair to say that a lot of people are living in fear unnecessarily. What is being performed on a large section of the population in the West amounts to reverse Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, training people into unhealthy thinking patterns.
  • Options
    kjh said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

CursingStone is either a troll or a very privileged white person who does not get out of his/her gated community. Disengaging.
  • Options

kjh said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

Really?

What statistically were the odds of an innocent black driver being pulled over and shot by the Police in the UK last year compared to white drivers?
    He was referring to the USA not the UK.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

I was one of those 400k.

Yay!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

SNIP
    SNIP
    It was hundreds of years ago , it is just bollox. People in this country were treated as bad by their lords and masters in those days. Nowadays there is as much discrimination against poor people of all colours. It is a good crutch for some people for sure. Lots and lots of non whites prosper in this country just same as whites and many are left behind just like whites. Too many outrage buses whining about something from hundreds of years ago.
    No I don't think it's bollox. It can be used as a crutch, sure, but I'm pretty sure that being black in this country is by and large still a disadvantage in life. As is being poor of course. No argument there. Shouldn't be an either/or contest really. Should be able to focus on reducing both class and racial inequality.
    I've seen scant evidence that being non-white holds you back in this country, nor that non-white people are treated differently by the white majority. Increasing amount of 'well this is how it feels' but not much evidence.
    Certainly plenty of people who are non-white are poorer - as you would expect, their families often being relatively recent arrivals to the country who have had to start at the bottom.
    And certainly poor people do worse.
    But addressing the problem of poor people doing worse will address the problem of non-white people doing worse.
    There may be respects in which people who are culturally different, rather than racially different, face exclusions of various sorts?
    I think, however, the CRT agenda does far more harm than good, and ultimately ends up creating more barriers than it tears down. Would non-white children at schools 20 years ago have protested at the presence of a 'racist' union jack, or at having to learn 'white' history - i.e. British history, as the non-white presence in British history prior to WW2 is vanishingly small? Would an agenda such as 'no white schools from brown kids' have made sense? I don't think it would. I think this sort of thinking has arisen because of the influence of CRT. I don't see how this can possibly help a future with fewer barriers.
    There is lots of evidence that black people are still at a disadvantage in life. I'm surprised you haven't been exposed to any of it.

I agree that addressing racial inequality is not an alternative to addressing class inequality. They are both important and are linked. Addressing one helps with the other and vice versa.

CRT? You need far more than this to explain the world but it has insights and imo you handicap yourself if you just dismiss it all as winky wanky wokery. I get the attraction of doing so because it's uncomfortable and challenging. And in its extremities it offers some very easy targets for piss-taking.

As for your overall sentiment, that banging on about race is counterproductive, yes I can see how it can be. There is a danger there. OTOH, we have not made the progress we have in recent decades by keeping shtum about it and pretending all is well.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Under 44-year-olds comprise about 14% of all hospitalisations in the UK. Realise that this is ICU but I think we'd need to see national data before drawing any conclusions from a tiny sample.
    Data available here: https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/2d288f8e-728e-eb11-912f-00505601089b

Median age 61, IQR 51-69.

Hospitalisation skews noticeably younger than deaths; ICU skews noticeably younger than hospitalisations. And when you have so many people going through, a quarter of a large number ends up with a lot of people affected (rather than all-but-unaffected).
    A 45-year-old man, with no underlying conditions and a healthy BMI has a chance of dying of covid of a mere 0.15%. But his chance of being hospitalised is 2.0%.
    When hospitalised with covid, after successful discharge (hopefully), he will have eight times the likelihood of dying in the next six months that those who avoided covid hospitalisations did. And he is highly likely to be unable to say "no underlying health conditions" any more.

The meme that "the young are all-but-unaffected by covid" that spread so widely has glossed over an awful lot, not just Long Covid. It conflates "chance of dying" with "being affected at all", which is not exactly true.

I'm all for people making informed choices, but I do think that the information should be accurate.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    It's worth mentioning that this doesn't filter for pre-existing conditions either. That group will be fully (group 4) or partially (group 6) vaccinated on reopening. The severity of any cases will be reduced by at least 80% but likely a lot more.

I think using the situation on France without any context is a bit off, we don't know the specifics of the people who have been hospitalised and we don't know what proportion of them have serious underlying conditions. Assuming that these are all fit and healthy people doesn't make any sense given what we know about COVID.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Oops, not going smoothly in the Netherlands:

https://twitter.com/mvanhulten/status/1377603524050173958
  • Options
    TimT said:

kjh said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

CursingStone is either a troll or a very privileged white person who does not get out of his/her gated community. Disengaging.
    For saying that the UK is not the USA?

Our police don't routinely pull over and shoot anyone let alone black people.

The odds of a random black person and a random white person being randomly pulled over and shot by UK police are both effectively the same. As close to zero as possible.

Which is a good thing, if only the USA was the same.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited April 2021
    TimT said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

I was one of those 400k.

Yay!
    The side effect gets worse with the second dose, I have never been this impatient in my life. I've got a year and bit worth of catching up to do with my friends.

I have to wait until they've had their first jabs +3 weeks.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    MattW said:

Racism!!
  • Options

Oops, not going smoothly in the Netherlands:

https://twitter.com/mvanhulten/status/1377603524050173958

Worked for Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

Really?

There's 1000 people shot dead by the police each year in the USA, majority of them (54%) are white. I expect a small minority of these cases are unarmed folk (though not sure we have statistics on that). Obviously Im sure many people are also wounded by the police but it shouldn't be a realisitic worry for anyone black or white in America given the amount of other day to day confrontations you can have in a country with over 300 million guns.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,174
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

One of the minorly disturbing facets of the horrorshow of evidence being given at the Chauvin trial is that Floyd when stopped by Chauvin et al in his car was him begging them not to shoot him. Of course it went downhill from there...
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Data available here: https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/2d288f8e-728e-eb11-912f-00505601089b

Hospitalisation skews noticeably younger than deaths; ICU skews noticeably younger than hospitalisations. And when you have so many people going through, a quarter of a large number ends up with a lot of people affected (rather than all-but-unaffected).
    A 45-year-old man, with no underlying conditions and a healthy BMI has a chance of dying of covid of a mere 0.15%. But his chance of being hospitalised is 2.0%.
    When hospitalised with covid, after successful discharge (hopefully), he will have eight times the likelihood of dying in the next six months that those who avoided covid hospitalisations did. And he is highly likely to be unable to say "no underlying health conditions" any more.

The meme that "the young are all-but-unaffected by covid" that spread so widely has glossed over an awful lot, not just Long Covid. It conflates "chance of dying" with "being affected at all", which is not exactly true.

I'm all for people making informed choices, but I do think that the information should be accurate.
    Yes - part of it is that there are lots more young-to-middle-aged people. 85+ are rare.

Another piece is that when ICUs fill up, death rates in general are going to spike.
  • Options

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?
    A serious event need only happen occasionally for it to create constant worry and a change in daily actions. You are either an imbecile or are being deliberately provocative. I prefer to believe the latter, and will not respond further.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,825
    Cookie said:

They are awfully ballsy about this sort of thing. I seem to recall when it flared up the first time Putin told the Ukranian President to withdraw his troops...from his own country.

"War would be devastating, so just let us have it"

In fairness, it usually works.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

Really?

Oh, I misread it. Yes the USA is different, I thought the conversation was about the UK.
  • Options

TimT said:

kjh said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

The odds of a random black person and a random white person being randomly pulled over and shot by UK police are both effectively the same. As close to zero as possible.

Your odds of being pulled over and asked for your license and insurance documents are higher than a white person, in the UK.

The probability of either being injured or dead after the encounter is basically zero for both.
  • Options

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

One of the minorly disturbing facets of the horrorshow of evidence being given at the Chauvin trial is that Floyd when stopped by Chauvin et al in his car was him begging them not to shoot him. Of course it went downhill from there...
    To be fair, Chauvin did listen and refrained from shooting him ...
  • Options
    edited April 2021

TimT said:

kjh said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Why do you say that?

You are misreading his post Philip. He is responding to a post about America and says:

"His chance as an unarmed black mad of been shot by american police is not really statistically different for a white person"

Note he says 'american'.

That is patently not true.

You of course are absolutely right for the UK. As the police in the UK do not pull over people, black or white and shot them you couldn't even calculate any stats as your sample size would be damn near zero (if not zero) for both.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited April 2021
    https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1377516813572055043

I'm Keiran's campaign manager and I think we can come second in the first round and win the race with the transfers in round 2.

You should see our private polling.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Where have you found data stratified by UHC? It's virtually impossible to find in the UK bar the actual deaths numbers (which are stratified by that).

The total number of under-60s without UHC who have died from Covid in the UK stood at 377 as of December. There might be more recent data, but it will be in a similar range.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiY8LHWl93vAhXYgP0HHdEFAT4QFjAAegQIAxAD&url=https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/01/COVID-19-total-announced-deaths-17-December-2020-weekly-file.xlsx&usg=AOvVaw0sxxgOQzaFRTw1i2K7GL2R
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760

England vaccinations

First - 188,045
    Second - 341,748

Is that the first day with more than a third of a million second doses? That's over 0.5% of the UK second-dose vaccinated in England alone in one day isn't it?

The second-dose graph must be looking interesting now for comparisons.
    Yesterday

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,825
    edited April 2021

Failure of her own advisers to tell her who he was, given it was bound to come up and it would not have taken more than a few seconds for them to brief her about that.

Advisers are 10 a penny, them resigning or being fired is not massive.

It's like when someone switches party or starts attacking their own side, and those who used to despise them suddenly take their word as gospel and talk about how great they are. Advisers on issue X are regarded as meaningless (if acknowledged at all) by opponents of their boss, until they quit, in which case 'Look how significant it is that this adviser quit!'
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    It's worth mentioning that this doesn't filter for pre-existing conditions either. That group will be fully (group 4) or partially (group 6) vaccinated on reopening. The severity of any cases will be reduced by at least 80% but likely a lot more.

I think using the situation on France without any context is a bit off, we don't know the specifics of the people who have been hospitalised and we don't know what proportion of them have serious underlying conditions. Assuming that these are all fit and healthy people doesn't make any sense given what we know about COVID.
    Indeed. And I'm not sure of the wisdom of using a set of data from one hospital is, when presumably France carries national data. Unless the aim is simply to shock? Dunno?
This discussion has been closed.