Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s vaccine polling boost seems to be dissipating – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,299

justin124 said:

Have you been doing any phone canvassing?

SKS very unpopular too apparently

Not on the same scale according to national polls. Many are still saying 'Don't Know' or are unaware of him. In which area has this phone canvassing been taking place?
    I've done a fair amount (in Surrey, may not be typical). Reactions to Starmer range from "I don't honestly know" to "He seems quite good". I've yet to find any randomly-phoned voter who thinks he's wonderful or awful (and in fairness as a Corbynite I should say I'm getting quite a few "Well, a lot better than the last one"). Responses about Johnson are much more polarised - people often really approve or really disapprove.

Overall my impression is that Labour has picked up somewhat on 2019, but apathy is rampant - most people are just not thinking about politics AT ALL. Nor are they linking the pandemic to politics - I'm not meeting people planning to vote for the Tories to thank them for the vaccines, or against them because of the early mistakes- it's all seen as a bit like an earthquake, not part of normal politics.

After pressure from the local authority, we now have 35% signed up for PVs vs 20% before, but I expect a low poll. Who will that benefit? The Tories, I'd think, because they will probably still have a higher share of the postals.
    If there isn't a vaccine effect in the polls, things are worse for Labour than they might appear.

But I think the effect works indirectly. Rather than people rationalising that "I got the vaccine so I will vote Tory to thank the government" it's a mix of responding badly to criticism of the government as it struggles with a major crisis, and an optimism effect reflecting on the government indirectly.

The medium term question is whether, as we emerge from the pandemic, the government can both manage the longer term fallout in a way seen to be acceptable, and rise to the challenge of meeting what will be hopes for a better post-pandemic world.

If they return to spending cuts and duck most of the bigger issues - such as social care (which the PM promised he had solved way back) - they could get into trouble.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

IanB2 said:

Breaking: surprise drop in inflation to 0.4%

Food is getting cheaper, apparently, along with clothes and shoes. Suggestions there is discounting to encourage sales during lockdown (and also that the ONS is having to 'guess' prices where services are closed)

I would not be surprised if some food grown, caught or whatever in and around UK became cheaper fo a while, as the growers, catchers etc try to get rid of it. Once those involved realise though that UK is their only market some of them will go off and try to do something else.
    How much shellfish can, or will, we eat? Same with lamb.
    There's definitely discounting to encourage sales going on - a lot of it through sites like Quidco. They're regularly making quite significant short-term cashback offers now, such as 20% off (via cashback) at Pets at Home last Friday, 10% at Booking.com at the weekend, 10% at B%Q yesterday. And retailers like Clarks shoes seem on permanent sale.
    Perhaps retailers are trying to keep a steady demand for online sales to match their capacity?

And discounting via cashback offers probably doesn't get reflected in RPI.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Did he write that article himself or just take down a dictation? Utterly one sided perspective
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has told Conservative MPs that the UK’s successful vaccine rollout was thanks to “greed” and “capitalism”.

Several of those present confirmed the prime minister had made the remarks during an end-of-term Zoom meeting with Tory backbenchers, known as the 1922 Committee, on Tuesday evening, two days before the Commons breaks for Easter.

Johnson hailed the fact that more than 28 million people have been given a first jab in the UK, saying: “The reason we have the vaccine success is because of capitalism, because of greed my friends.”

Immediately afterwards, he tried to backpedal and withdraw what he had said, according to MPs, one of whom added that the PM then made a joke about how details of the 1922 Committee virtual meetings often leak.

Downing Street has not denied the account but refused to issue a comment.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

Have you been doing any phone canvassing?

SKS very unpopular too apparently

Not on the same scale according to national polls. Many are still saying 'Don't Know' or are unaware of him. In which area has this phone canvassing been taking place?
    I've done a fair amount (in Surrey, may not be typical). Reactions to Starmer range from "I don't honestly know" to "He seems quite good". I've yet to find any randomly-phoned voter who thinks he's wonderful or awful (and in fairness as a Corbynite I should say I'm getting quite a few "Well, a lot better than the last one"). Responses about Johnson are much more polarised - people often really approve or really disapprove.

Overall my impression is that Labour has picked up somewhat on 2019, but apathy is rampant - most people are just not thinking about politics AT ALL. Nor are they linking the pandemic to politics - I'm not meeting people planning to vote for the Tories to thank them for the vaccines, or against them because of the early mistakes- it's all seen as a bit like an earthquake, not part of normal politics.

After pressure from the local authority, we now have 35% signed up for PVs vs 20% before, but I expect a low poll. Who will that benefit? The Tories, I'd think, because they will probably still have a higher share of the postals.
    If there isn't a vaccine effect in the polls, things are worse for Labour than they might appear.

But I think the effect works indirectly. Rather than people rationalising that "I got the vaccine so I will vote Tory to thank the government" it's a mix of responding badly to criticism of the government as it struggles with a major crisis, and an optimism effect reflecting on the government indirectly.

The medium term question is whether, as we emerge from the pandemic, the government can both manage the longer term fallout in a way seen to be acceptable, and rise to the challenge of meeting what will be hopes for a better post-pandemic world.

If they return to spending cuts and duck most of the bigger issues - such as social care (which the PM promised he had solved way back) - they could get into trouble.

The vaccine boost in the polls is very clear in the underlying numbers on government and individual minister performance, as well as economic confidence. These have all gone up very significantly since the start of the year.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Boris Johnson has told Conservative MPs that the UK’s successful vaccine rollout was thanks to “greed” and “capitalism”.

Several of those present confirmed the prime minister had made the remarks during an end-of-term Zoom meeting with Tory backbenchers, known as the 1922 Committee, on Tuesday evening, two days before the Commons breaks for Easter.

Johnson hailed the fact that more than 28 million people have been given a first jab in the UK, saying: “The reason we have the vaccine success is because of capitalism, because of greed my friends.”

Immediately afterwards, he tried to backpedal and withdraw what he had said, according to MPs, one of whom added that the PM then made a joke about how details of the 1922 Committee virtual meetings often leak.

From Laura

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1374487905280741385?s=19
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712

IanB2 said:

Food is getting cheaper, apparently, along with clothes and shoes. Suggestions there is discounting to encourage sales during lockdown (and also that the ONS is having to 'guess' prices where services are closed)

I would not be surprised if some food grown, caught or whatever in and around UK became cheaper fo a while, as the growers, catchers etc try to get rid of it. Once those involved realise though that UK is their only market some of them will go off and try to do something else.
    Yes, all that stuff not being exported has to go somewhere.

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1373974501998915585?s=19
  • Options

IanB2 said:

From Laura

Is that the best they can come up with by way of excuse!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    kle4 said:

MattW said:

Hmm. Crude maths in the chart, but interesting.

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1373948397191888898

They shouldn't end up as far behind as currently feared. A focus on jabbing not jabbering would help with that.
    That chart is plain fantasy though. What we have all painfully learned is that vaccine supply is lumpy and inherently unpredictable. Suggesting that the EU will have a smooth 120m vaccines a month, month after month, suggests to me that whoever created it has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,599
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

They shouldn't end up as far behind as currently feared. A focus on jabbing not jabbering would help with that.
    That chart is plain fantasy though. What we have all painfully learned is that vaccine supply is lumpy and inherently unpredictable. Suggesting that the EU will have a smooth 120m vaccines a month, month after month, suggests to me that whoever created it has no idea what they are talking about.
    That of course is why J&J are next in the cross-hairs for planning to back-load deliveries in Q2.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

IanB2 said:

We can eat a hell of a lot more when the pubs and restaurants are open again.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

There's definitely discounting to encourage sales going on - a lot of it through sites like Quidco. They're regularly making quite significant short-term cashback offers now, such as 20% off (via cashback) at Pets at Home last Friday, 10% at Booking.com at the weekend, 10% at B%Q yesterday. And retailers like Clarks shoes seem on permanent sale.
    Perhaps retailers are trying to keep a steady demand for online sales to match their capacity?

And discounting via cashback offers probably doesn't get reflected in RPI.
    Yes, I have booked a late autumn break with EasyJet holidays in Madeira at half the price it was 2 years ago. Vaccine passports should be running by then, and if not, EasyJet will be bankrupt.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Did he write that article himself or just take down a dictation? Utterly one sided perspective
    I imagine someone in the EU office with sets of draft legislation like a Poker Hand.

This is about the third one they have played in the last week.

First it was "extend for 3 months", then "weekly not 3 monthly monitoring period". Now it is this.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris Johnson, what an arsehole.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

Perhaps. But the UK's vaccine rollout after an initial exponential growth period has for months now trended at a remarkably flat line.

It may be lumpy but it may average at those amounts.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Just channeling his inner Gordon Gekko

"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms — greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge — has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much"
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

For all the fuss, with so many vaccines working and in production, by the end of the summer the world will be awash with them.
    But until that point, the UK must be made to stop making the EU look bad.

By a series of measures that, er, make the EU look worse than its initial vaccine contracting SNAFU.

Genius.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

IanB2 said:

From Laura

It's the way he tells 'em!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

From Laura

Is that the best they can come up with by way of excuse!
    I've never bothered to follow Mr Johnson's spoken or written utterances, so I may be wrong in what I'm about to type. However, there does appear to me to be a slight saving grace about this, in that he recognised what a stupid thing he'd said very quickly and withdrew it.

Is he in the habit of doing that, or is it a small step forward on the self-awareness front?

Good morning, everyone.
  • Options

Greed and capitalism undoubtedly produced the vaccine. I don't see any problem in admitting that. Astra Zeneca is providing the vaccine at cost price currently, but is only obliged to do so while the pandemic officially exists. Once the WHO declares it is at an end - and covid becomes endemic - then it can start charging more. With boosters becoming a regular part of health systems across the world that is a licence to print money (especially given how easy it is to produce, store and distribute the Oxford/AZN jab). Furthermore, being involved with the vaccine may well have kept AZN's share price higher over the last year than it otherwise would have been. So what? We got vaccines. That is the important bit. Before I start worrying about companies and others making money from the huge amounts they throw at R&D I want to be shown a system that will work better. I have yet to see one.

Nevertheless it's poor phraseology by the PM, at a time when so many people are in real trouble - and the account of the meeting suggests he realised that straight away, trying to retract his remarks and someone making a joke about leaks.

That Laura is helping with the damage limitation by trying to suggest it was a joke about someone eating a sandwich simply further dents her credibility as an independent source.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,997
    Charles said:

Did he write that article herself or just take down a dictation? Utterly one sided perspective
    It does seem that any American journalist who becomes their EU correspondent ends up with a very one sided viewpoint. Dave Keating is the another example where fact checking from the other side sees to be completely ignored.

They seem to be almost embedded war journalists but without pointing out why their viewpoint is limited.
  • Options

Greed and capitalism undoubtedly produced the vaccine. I don't see any problem in admitting that. Astra Zeneca is providing the vaccine at cost price currently, but is only obliged to do so while the pandemic officially exists. Once the WHO declares it is at an end - and covid becomes endemic - then it can start charging more. With boosters becoming a regular part of health systems across the world that is a licence to print money (especially given how easy it is to produce, store and distribute the Oxford/AZN jab). Furthermore, being involved with the vaccine may well have kept AZN's share price higher over the last year than it otherwise would have been. So what? We got vaccines. That is the important bit. Before I start worrying about companies and others making money from the huge amounts they throw at R&D I want to be shown a system that will work better. I have yet to see one.

Capitalist innovation is one thing, though supported heavily by government spending up front, but I think where greed hurts is in the bungs to Tory doners, cronies and mates from the pub.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Capitalist innovation is one thing, though supported heavily by government spending up front, but I think where greed hurts is in the bungs to Tory doners, cronies and mates from the pub.

I could not agree more. I am a social democrat!

• Options
    Another new variant. It might explain why the numbers in India are taking off again.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1374628916552466434?s=19
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

For all the fuss, with so many vaccines working and in production, by the end of the summer the world will be awash with them.
    Indeed, but shouldn't they have ambition to grow the supply? Which presumably can be done over that time scale with money? We don't yet know what the situation will be in September and if we might have to do it all again at twice the speed.
  • Options

That was more or less my thinking, although I was lacking the detailed information. Nevertheless it was not a good thing to say because it immediately landed him in the Need-to-explain zone.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Foxy said:

Science produced the vaccine, capitalism was suspended to get it out quickly.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Roger said:

isam said:

I have heard of political analysts who think leader ratings are a better guide than VI

Yawn! You'll be going on about charisma quotients next.
    You can tell when ISAM's about. The same old poll of Starmer gets dusted down.

Have Tinder closed for the pandemic or something?
    That poll showing the public think Starmer unlikeable, indecisive and weak was only released yesterday!

Still as sharp as ever Rog!!!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Science produced the vaccine, capitalism was suspended.

Science was funded by government money (to an extent), which in turn is largely predicated on taxes paid by businesses and private individuals, and money borrowed from financial markets. It's all tied in together.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Science produced the vaccine, capitalism was suspended to get it out quickly.
    Interesting view.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

That was more or less my thinking, although I was lacking the detailed information. Nevertheless it was not a good thing to say because it immediately landed him in the Need-to-explain zone.

The Conservative party and its supporters are always prone to hubris. None more so than Boris Johnson. It was a very stupid thing to say, but fundamentally he was right!

• Options

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

Perhaps. But the UK's vaccine rollout after an initial exponential growth period has for months now trended at a remarkably flat line.

And yet what we are seeing is a surge in vaccine right now which is expected to fall for up to a month in a couple of weeks time slowing down the program. Our peak day was over 850k but we are averaging something like 400k. We have the capacity to do more but we don't have the stocks.

There are many things that are just baffling about the EU effort but one of them is the failure by Member States to use what they have, to create the capacity to get vaccines into arms efficiently. The EU is starting to point the finger about this which, although it will hardly improve relations, may well contain a significant element of truth. And that is before the idiocy in Italy where prosecutors are seizing vaccine.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Science was funded by government money (to an extent), which in turn is largely predicated on taxes paid by businesses and private individuals, and money borrowed from financial markets. It's all tied in together.

To attribute the vaccine to capitalism is wrong. First and foremost it was science, then it was the purchasing and logistical power of government to focus on an urgent goal, then somewhere down the line capitalism played a role along with Dolly Parton.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

The Conservative party and its supporters are always prone to hubris. None more so than Boris Johnson. It was a very stupid thing to say, but fundamentally he was right!

No he really wasn’t.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

And yet what we are seeing is a surge in vaccine right now which is expected to fall for up to a month in a couple of weeks time slowing down the program. Our peak day was over 850k but we are averaging something like 400k. We have the capacity to do more but we don't have the stocks.

There are many things that are just baffling about the EU effort but one of them is the failure by Member States to use what they have, to create the capacity to get vaccines into arms efficiently. The EU is starting to point the finger about this which, although it will hardly improve relations, may well contain a significant element of truth. And that is before the idiocy in Italy where prosecutors are seizing vaccine.
    I have said all along that the biggest problem in vaccination will be the distribution and delivery infrastructure. The NHS has a very good system for this, but much of the world has a more fragmented retail health sector.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

To attribute the vaccine to capitalism is wrong. First and foremost it was science, then it was the purchasing and logistical power of government to focus on an urgent goal, then somewhere down the line capitalism played a role along with Dolly Parton.

It wasn't science in abstract. As a social democrat, I celebrate the role of government in all this. I believe in the state as a powerful force for good. But as a social democrat, I do not see how it would have happened without the R&D structures, manufacturing capabilities and distribution networks that were ready to go because they were set up by companies that exist to make money.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

AnneJGP said:

No he really wasn’t.
    Yes he really was.

Greed and capitalism work. Its just not polite to say that.
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

Did he write that article herself or just take down a dictation? Utterly one sided perspective
    It does seem that any American journalist who becomes their EU correspondent ends up with a very one sided viewpoint. Dave Keating is the another example where fact checking from the other side sees to be completely ignored.

They seem to be almost embedded war journalists but without pointing out why their viewpoint is limited.
    If this is really how the EU bureaucracy see the world, and it may well be, they are in even more trouble than I thought. They are performing a public service in disclosing this even if their public service is not that of informing their subscribers of reality.
  • Options
    If capitalism was the primary factor here, as a 40 year old I should be able to splash a few quid, jump the queue, engage with the vaccine market and buy protection for my family. Instead, I have wait until the government allocates the resources to those in most need. This is not capitalism.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Jonathan said:

AnneJGP said:

No he really wasn’t.
    Yes he really was.

Nah. Science works. The NHS works.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    AnneJGP said:

I don’t think anyone who works for the Pharma industry is any “greedier” than GPs who have very high salaries and ridiculously gold plated pensions. The BMA are the personification of greedy attitudes.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,174
    edited March 2021
    Speak out against the state’s prejudiced prosecution of militant industrial action? Bit too controversial I’m afraid, might piss off the red tops.

50 years ago you say?
    Hard work already done you say?
    That funny bloke off The Royle Family you say?

Let’s go for it!

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1374374378738130956?s=21
  • Options
    Polling like that is the perfect explanation for the bat-shit, knee-jerk reactions within Europe.

"We must do SOMETHING......"
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Yeah capitalism played no role, that's why state run institutions have produced the vaccine instead of companies. Oh no, wait, no that's not true.

Capitalism produced all the western vaccines apart from arguably Oxford/AZN.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

AnneJGP said:

No he really wasn’t.
    Yes he really was.

Nah. Science works. The NHS works.
    So the NHS is manufacturing its own vaccines? Companies aren't?

Don't take the piss.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I wonder if any politician might be brave enough to suggest that greed is behind the AZ smears...
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Yeah capitalism played no role, that's why state run institutions have produced the vaccine instead of companies. Oh no, wait, no that's not true.

Strip out the scientists and see how you get on. This is primarily a triumph of science, then government logistics. Capitalism played a supporting role and has largely been suspended whilst governments expedite funding.
  • Options
    Merkel has made a series of strategic errors, one of which resulted in the UK leaving the EU, but there has to be a risk that her period of dominance in EU affairs will be looked back on fondly for its stability and predictability. A Germany without a stable government or effective leadership threatens to leave the EU rudderless going forward. I just don't see how you get a stable government out of that.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Strip out the scientists and see how you get on. This is primarily a triumph of science, then government logistics. Capitalism played a supporting role and has largely been suspended whilst governments expedite funding.
    How many brilliant scientists never got anywhere with their brilliant idea because they didn't get their shit together with brilliant capitalism? My guess is probably most of them.

The killer combo is a scientist with a nose for money.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ydoethur said:

Our Canvassers have seen the return of "They're all the same" that disappeared in 2017 and 2019

I actually met a voter who said "They're all the same" in 2019 about Johnson and Corbyn! I said, "Honestly, what do we have to do to persuade you we're different??" She mumbled grumpily and closed the door.
    Well, quite. I mean it’s not like you had a leader from a posh background who pretends to be a friend to ordinary people, who makes racist remarks, who is lazy, disorganised and not very bright, and is a love rat famous for spending money he hasn’t got on things he doesn’t need.

That anyone would think Labour was the same as the Tories is just amazing.
    That is a post that will make no sense to anybody but will get applause from those who would wish it to be true.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Scientists working for companies seeking to make a profit, yes. Again with the sole exception of Oxford/AZN.

Pfizer, Moderna, J&J - these aren't nationalised institutions.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Merkel has made a series of strategic errors, one of which resulted in the UK leaving the EU, but there has to be a risk that her period of dominance in EU affairs will be looked back on fondly for its stability and predictability. A Germany without a stable government or effective leadership threatens to leave the EU rudderless going forward. I just don't see how you get a stable government out of that.
    Grand coalition of the CDU/CSU, the SPD and the Greens.

The problem is, who does opposition support coalesce around in the next four years? One day it might not go to an acceptable coalition partner.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

How many brilliant scientists never got anywhere with their brilliant idea because they didn't get their shit together with brilliant capitalism? My guess is probably most of them.

The killer combo is a scientist with a nose for money.
    Absolutely. Or a business keen on money with a nose for good scientists.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited March 2021
    DavidL said:

Merkel stayed on too long. Early Merkel hardly put a foot wrong, late Merkel developed the faecal Midas touch. If she'd gone out on a high she would have been seen as Wunderfrau, as it is she goes out with a whimper.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

IanB2 said:

From Laura

Why doesn't he just own the comment instead of pushing out crap like that ?

Embarrassing journalism, too.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

It wasn't science in abstract. As a social democrat, I celebrate the role of government in all this. I believe in the state as a powerful force for good. But as a social democrat, I do not see how it would have happened without the R&D structures, manufacturing capabilities and distribution networks that were ready to go because they were set up by companies that exist to make money.

I would accept this as a success for social democracy and a partnership between industry, research and government , but capitalism alone or as the primary force, nah. That’s bullshit.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

I have said all along that the biggest problem in vaccination will be the distribution and delivery infrastructure. The NHS has a very good system for this, but much of the world has a more fragmented retail health sector.
    I agree. As we saw in the UK with track and trace starting from scratch is very hard.
  • Options
    Are you saying *shock horror* that he might have Conservative principles today that he had seven years ago.

Shocking, absolutely shocking that a Conservative Prime Minister might have Conservative principles.

You'd never see an SNP First Minister saying today that Scotland should be independent if she said that seven years ago would you? Because that would be repeating yourself in your eyes.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    The most exalted proponent of having cake and eating it believes greed is good. The idea that this is newsworthy tells us nothing much is happening.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

I think the reason Boris' poll rating is dissipating (thread header) is because people viewed vaccination as the route to freedom, which they are supposed to. If we are being vaccinated and there's no end to restrictions it renders the jab pretty pointless.

The fear mongering among certain scientists is getting silly. We vaccinate the population, we get on with life. Yes some people will still die. They do of flu. Excess deaths in the UK are now below the mean.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/vaccines-should-mean-more-freedom-not-less

It's time to suck it up, folks.

Even if excess deaths in the UK were still above the median, we have to get society and the economy going again, and start reducing the huge backlog of non-COVID issues the health service has built up. We've put normal life on hold for a long time - arguably much too long.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Yeah capitalism played no role, that's why state run institutions have produced the vaccine instead of companies. Oh no, wait, no that's not true....
    Sinovac, Sputnik ... ?
    Capitalism didn't produce the vaccines, though it did build most of the companies which are doing so.

And strangely enough there are motivations other than greed for working for them.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Merkel stayed on too long. Early Merkel hardly put a foot wrong, late Merkel developed the faecal Midas touch. If she'd gone out on a high he would have been seen as Wunderfrau, as it is she goes out with a whimper.
    Is this not the truism about all political careers? Maggie was the same.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

IanB2 said:

We can eat a hell of a lot more when the pubs and restaurants are open again.....
    I shan't eat any more than I'm eating now. Overall, anyway. Might be different, might be in different places but I'll still eat my usual 1800-2000 calories. (Or whatever it is!)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,174

Are you saying *shock horror* that he might have Conservative principles today that he had seven years ago.

Shocking, absolutely shocking that a Conservative Prime Minister might have Conservative principles.

You'd never see an SNP First Minister saying today that Scotland should be independent if she said that seven years ago would you? Because that would be repeating yourself in your eyes.
    I’ve just posted someone else’s tweet. Bit early to to be triggered into a caffeine-laden, saliva-flecked defence of BJ ain’t it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited March 2021
    MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

Reapers don't conform to STANAG 4671 so they cannot be operated in civvie airspace. They are also based in Akrotiri so it's a bit of a long transit to get on station over Bournemouth.

MQ-9B Protector can but they aren't arriving until 2023.
    Someone stirring.

That drone photo is not in the newspaper story.
    Politics for all has put amusing embellishments into other tweets too - the picture of the Beirut explosion into the "Bomb Bristol" story for instance.
    Named and shamed. Quite right too.
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Wonder if Boris was a CEO of a PLC which companies would have fired him for yesterday's comment.
    Essentially he was trying to make a joke trashing business people as 'greedy'.Of course the old private snobbery of a public school/oxbridge set who simultanouisly try to scrooge off the self made 30 years ago Gerald Ratner lost his CEO job for trying to make a joke which basically trashed his own jewellery products.
    Boris (and Ratner) are/were saying a lot more about themselves than about people in business.
    Plenty of people in business want to make money by offering products and services in a way that they can take a pride in.And anyone who does the stockmarket will find opportunities to invest in those business's.
    Part of Warren Buffett success is based on spotting and avoiding greedy rip off merchants.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

The problem is, who does opposition support coalesce around in the next four years? One day it might not go to an acceptable coalition partner.
    The Greens have gutted the SPD as a result of grand coalitions. Why would they want to suffer the same fate and would they be reliable partners in government anyway?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    With sustained numbers like those, I wonder if German politics might turn Italian, with lots of unstable, ever-revolving but never-evolving governments held hostage by small parties or independents?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Yeah capitalism played no role, that's why state run institutions have produced the vaccine instead of companies. Oh no, wait, no that's not true....
    Sinovac, Sputnik ... ?
    Capitalism didn't produce the vaccines, though it did build most of the companies which are doing so.

And strangely enough there are motivations other than greed for working for them.
    In general we talk about the west but Sputnik at least seems to have been produced by industrial espionage, not an option for first movers.

Capitalism did produce the vaccines, again with the exception of Oxford/AZN arguably. There's a reason Pfizer/BioNTech are due to make billions in sales which funded the research and development.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

The Greens have gutted the SPD as a result of grand coalitions. Why would they want to suffer the same fate and would they be reliable partners in government anyway?
    Didn't the SPD start off by saying that they weren't going into coalition again in 2017? And where did they end up?

The reality is that a result like the polls are showing has only one viable option (based on my very limited understanding of German politics). And huge pressure will be placed on those three parties to make something work.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I shan't eat any more than I'm eating now. Overall, anyway. Might be different, might be in different places but I'll still eat my usual 1800-2000 calories. (Or whatever it is!)
    Maybe not more - but different. We can soon eat much more variety, and especially stuff that is a faff to cook at home.
  • Options

I’ve just posted someone else’s tweet. Bit early to to be triggered into a caffeine-laden, saliva-flecked defence of BJ ain’t it?
    If you choose to post a Tweet without comment it generally implies you're endorsing the comment.

Why would a politician having the same principles they had seven years ago be something to criticise?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Seems a good dose of Adam Smith is required this morning.

Perhaps the PM could read out a chapter or two?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

Reapers don't conform to STANAG 4671 so they cannot be operated in civvie airspace. They are also based in Akrotiri so it's a bit of a long transit to get on station over Bournemouth.

Someone stirring.

Politics for all has put amusing embellishments into other tweets too - the picture of the Beirut explosion into the "Bomb Bristol" story for instance.
    Baseball bats, dangerous dogs, violent attacks on wild life.This is becoming a problem....

Obviously the next step in a civilised society is Top QC Control. Chip them, GPS monitors, and strict limits - limited the capacity of their briefs and limits on how big their London mansions are.
  • Options

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    "Two of the last five polls have the lead down at 2%"

*one of which doesn't have anything to compare with in almost a month
    *the other shows changes in numbers consistent with, albeit at the extremities of, noise.

Slow news day chaps?

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Scientists working for companies seeking to make a profit, yes. Again with the sole exception of Oxford/AZN.

Pfizer, Moderna, J&J - these aren't nationalised institutions.
    I don't think you have to worry about the financial health of the scientists involved. They will all be nobly accepting all kinds of nominal positions at various companies. so that said companies can have their bio on their websites.

• Options
    Surely the conclusion of today’s comments is that the Prime Minister supports NHS staff to demand double digit pay rises.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,909
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

From Laura

Why doesn't he just own the comment instead of pushing out crap like that ?

Embarrassing journalism, too.
    Sadly, this is the sort of stupid story that make the likes of Laura want to get up in the morning.

How their bosses continue to think they’ve being doing a good job during the pandemic, is anyone’s guess.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

Someone stirring.

I would ban all dogs kept as pets.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

Someone stirring.

Were you there? Did you see what transpired..
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472

It isn't the philosophical truth of the statement that I object to - 'capitalism' was fine, even 'profit motive' would have been fine. He had to make it that bit fruitier and be terribly amusing and say 'greed', though heaven knows it's hardly an original point. If it wasn't a blunder he wouldn't have withdrawn it immediately and they wouldn't now be spinning about it referring to a cheese and pickle sandwich.

Morning all!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,236
    Pulpstar said:

The danger for Labour is that conservative voters think they're "acceptable" without actually voting for them whilst the left deserts them for the greens or something.

This is the perennial problem with Labour idealogues, they hate compromise more than they do the Conservatives. This is why they are content to see perpetual Johnson and disappointed at three terms of Blair.
  • Options
    As an investor I would be hesitant to buy AZ if I thought that benevolence characterised their business model. AIUI it was the Ox bit that insisted on the no-profit line. But they deserve full credit for agreeing that, at least for the duration.
  • Options
    Charles said:

AnneJGP said:

The problem is he’s prone to flippant remarks that might be ok with a glass of wine in your hand after a good dinner. But he’s PM now.

Once again, though, I am astounded at the lack of discipline from politicians. This was said at a private meeting of Tory MPs. The only impact of a leak is to weaken the PM. The only gain is a transitory feeling that you’ve demonstrated to a journalist you are “in the know” (even though it’s only a 1922 meeting so hardly inner circle). Why leak this sort of story?
    Still plenty of Tory MPs who hate Boris. He's not just Marmite with the public/posters on pb. Still some safe-seat Remainers out there. With a grudge.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

Speak out against the state’s prejudiced prosecution of militant industrial action? Bit too controversial I’m afraid, might piss off the red tops.

50 years ago you say?
    Hard work already done you say?
    That funny bloke off The Royle Family you say?

Let’s go for it!

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1374374378738130956?s=21

I am sure Keir Starmer ensured justice was done when he was DPP
  • Options

It isn't the philosophical truth of the statement that I object to - 'capitalism' was fine, even 'profit motive' would have been fine. He had to make it that bit fruitier and be terribly amusing and say 'greed', though heaven knows it's hardly an original point. If it wasn't a blunder he wouldn't have withdrawn it immediately and they wouldn't now be spinning about it referring to a cheese and pickle sandwich.

Morning all!
    It is the truth though.

It is sad that people telling the truth get attacked for doing so because the words are not deemed polite.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    geoffw said:

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.
    It is not from the benevolence of the vaccine manufacturer that we expect to be saved, but from their regard to their own shareholders?
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    edited March 2021

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:
    Using drones to ‘reduce the numbers’ seems overly draconian...

Though given this government’s proclivities, you might expect then to use Spitfires to strafe the beaches, instead.
    Bonkers. What exactly are these drones going to do? Spot sharks? Jellyfish?

Might be time to get the soldering iron out....
    https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8249206
    Presumably they’ll be doing what the police helicopter usually does, but for a lot less money.

Monitoring traffic, looking for overcrowded areas, directing ground-based resources to incidents, that sort of thing. They’re not going to be armed and ready to shoot up Bournemouth beach!
    Some countries have used drones to monitor lockdown enforcement....I can see it happening in UK
    Derbyshire plod already have here, mostly to harass walkers in empty moorland in the name of preventing viral spread.

If I'm at the beach and one of these pops up, I think I might suddenly take the flying stunt kites, possibly quite badly... :-)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,236
    Charles said:

AnneJGP said:

The problem is he’s prone to flippant remarks that might be ok with a glass of wine in your hand after a good dinner. But he’s PM now.

Once again, though, I am astounded at the lack of discipline from politicians. This was said at a private meeting of Tory MPs. The only impact of a leak is to weaken the PM. The only gain is a transitory feeling that you’ve demonstrated to a journalist you are “in the know” (even though it’s only a 1922 meeting so hardly inner circle). Why leak this sort of story?
    Hmmm, I would wager Ms. Vine was on the blower to the Daily Mail before the news from her husband had reached her shell-like. I can't think why the PM would need to be compromised?
This discussion has been closed.