Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

You might need a brave heart for this Scottish bet – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2021 in General
imageYou might need a brave heart for this Scottish bet – politicalbetting.com

Betting on Scottish matters has been an enjoyable and very profitable area for myself and many other PBers, from seeing Iain Gray’s collapsing ratings in 2011 indicating the SNP was going to achieve what the voting system was designed to stop, to 2014 referendum, to the SNP tsunami in 2015, the SNP losing their majority which was tipped at 10/1 and 8/1 on the day of the 2016 election, and the 2017 Scottish Tory surge, perhaps it is distance and the lack of a vote that helps lend perspective and wisdom?

Read the full story here

Comments

• swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    First?...., Like Nicola S in May
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Second
    Rod McKenzie, the RHA head of public affairs, said that with 40% of containers travelling to the EU without goods, shipment numbers failed to show the full impact of new Brexit-related red tape at UK borders.

He said the recruitment of customs agents needed to rise by around 30,000 to nearer 50,000 to cope with the extra regulations. “Judging by our own experience of customs agents, they are swamped with calls and turning away business, which is ridiculous when we have had four years to sort this out.”

He added that delays and loss of exports would continue until more customs agents were trained, leading to delays until at least the summer.

Small and medium businesses are likely to be hardest hit by the dearth of agents that play a crucial role in handling the mountain of new paperwork being imposed on firms that wish to continue trading in Europe.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Fearty bet.
    Surely the punt for heroes is against the SNP being the largest party, as advised by someone or other on here?
    edited March 2021
    The story that has made the front page only of the Sunday Times - that the government aid cuts are forcing VSO to close down most of its activities, cancel placements planned for this year and make hundreds of its staff redundant - deserves more exposure. VSO is a tremendous British success story that does great work at low cost while projecting significant soft power for the UK and our image abroad.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Fearty bet.
    Surely the punt for heroes is against the SNP being the largest party, as advised by someone or other on here?

I tipped that here when it was 50/1 (lay at 1.02) on Betfair.

It’s now 1.02 to back, and 1.03 to lay.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/30298288/multi-market?marketIds=1.179554856
    Sad news to wake up to hear about the passing of the man whose infectious enthusiasm made millions of motor racing fans grow to love the sport. RIP Murray Walker. :cry:
    Probably missed bigger value here, but there’s a large pile of 1.07 to lay Sadiq Khan as next mayor of London. If he doesn’t fire Cressida Dick today, he really needs to be considering his own position.

I expect, of course, that neither will happen, and there’s a good chance of him being challenged from the left by a Reform the Met candidate.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Andy_JS said:
    Luisa Porritt, London mayoral candidate for the LibDems, must have been given a significant boost.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    IanB2 said:

The story that has made the front page only of the Sunday Times - that the government aid cuts are forcing VSO to close down most of its activities, cancel placements planned for this year and make hundreds of its staff redundant - deserves more exposure. VSO is a tremendous British success story that does great work at low cost while projecting significant soft power for the UK and our image abroad.

Absolutely disgraceful; demonstrates the shortsightedness, and indeed callousness, at the
    heart of this Government.

IanB2 said:

Absolutely disgraceful; demonstrates the shortsightedness, and indeed callousness, at the
    Given how many Tory MPs have been associated with VSO in the past, it also presents a risk for the clown if the aid cuts get pushed to a vote in the Commons.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    About 10th.

Like the Lib Dems.
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Given how many Tory MPs have been associated with VSO in the past, it also presents a risk for the clown if the aid cuts get pushed to a vote in the Commons.
    Hope you are right!

That news detracted from a very pleasant looking morning!
    Sorry TSE - 25/1 on the SNP doing what?

Thanks for the header.

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Hope you are right!

That news detracted from a very pleasant looking morning!
    Yep, the 50 mph winds have finally abated and it is pleasantly sunny
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited March 2021
    FPT

Ratters said:"Proportionality doesn't just apply to policing, but to legislating.

Transmission of Covid outside with masks on is practically non-existant, even more so with social distancing.

Was banning peaceful protest in a democracy ever really justified given that? And if so, should it still be when the most vunerable people have been vaccinated? My feeling is we've too easily sacrificed our rights for too long.

As for the police, their heavy handed response to a relatively small, mostly female protest about a woman kidnapped and killed off the streets, allegedly by one of their own, is something that would have been laughed out of a Line of Duty scriptwriting session. Utterly moronic."

Good? morning. Very good post from @Ratters

Only thing I'd add, picking up on the final paragraph, is that there has been at least one report of extreme provocation including absurd accusations of murderers and rapists - and verbal abuse towards female police officers. The Met shouldn't have been there at all in my opinion, but this is disgusting if true.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

Andy_JS said:
    Luisa Porritt, London mayoral candidate for the LibDems, must have been given a significant boost.
    Perhaps if anyone had heard of her.

I’ve had one pamphlet pushed through my door...for Brian Rose.
    Just looking at the thread last night, with Brom claiming that it kicked off because of militants and extremists...

...one of the reasons this started blowing up (while PBers were making nob jokes) was testimony on Twitter from very normal non-radical women who were at the vigil and shocked by how the police behaved.
    Just looking at the thread last night, with Brom claiming that it kicked off because of militants and extremists...

...one of the reasons this started blowing up (while PBers were making nob jokes) was testimony on Twitter from very normal non-radical women who were at the vigil and shocked by how the police behaved.
    edited March 2021
    Stocky said:

FPT

Ratters said:"Proportionality doesn't just apply to policing, but to legislating.

Transmission of Covid outside with masks on is practically non-existant, even more so with social distancing.

Was banning peaceful protest in a democracy ever really justified given that? And if so, should it still be when the most vunerable people have been vaccinated? My feeling is we've too easily sacrificed our rights for too long.

As for the police, their heavy handed response to a relatively small, mostly female protest about a woman kidnapped and killed off the streets, allegedly by one of their own, is something that would have been laughed out of a Line of Duty scriptwriting session. Utterly moronic."

Only thing I'd add, picking up on the final paragraph, is that there has been at least one report of extreme provocation including absurd accusations of murderers and rapists - and verbal abuse towards female police officers. The Met shouldn't have been there at all in my opinion, but this is disgusting if true.

It should have been obvious that some form of vigil was going to go ahead.

It should have been policed by female police officers, with no men visible.

These officers should have said that those on the vigil should be at least 2m apart from anyone else on the vigil. They would be allowed one hour, in quiet respect, then would be required to disperse.

If they had done the above, no-one would have heard anything much about it.
    Stocky said:

FPT

If you heard that from the Met I wouldn’t believe a word of it.

Why were they there? This was best ignored, policing-wise, wasn't it?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Might need to consider a curfew for women after 6pm as well as men it seems. When even large groups of police officers patrolling open spaces can be shouted at and jostled - no doubt fearing something worse.

The protestors really should have stayed at home in the current situation, and well done to the original organisers for trying to do that.

Re: London Mayor - Porritt did some leafleting over Xmas, and I suspected that there might be a big push from the LDs - I even tipped her at 800 or so - sorry! It does seem odd that they're not trying a lot harder.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451

Stocky said:

FPT

It should have been obvious that some form of vigil was going to go ahead.

It should have been policed by female police officers, with no men visible.

These officers should have said that those on the vigil should be at least 2m apart from anyone else on the vigil. They would be allowed one hour, in quiet respect, then would be required to disperse.

If they had done the above, no-one would have heard anything much about it.
    A sensible suggestion, although the last line is not quite true, the permanently offended on here would be hopping mad with men not being allowed to be visible though.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

Andy_JS said:

Luisa is an appealing candidate with attractive policies. Hopefully she'll get more exposure in the coming weeks.
    https://www.luisa4london.co.uk/
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Stocky said:

When I was stopped and searched (the police were looking for someone who had recently held up the Post Office, and I unfortunately matched the description), the main officer became very apologetic when he realises it obviously wasn’t me. He said something like “if we don’t do our job right every time we get criticised”.

The same applies here. The responsibility rests with the politicians. You cannot leave the police to “use their judgment”. Either civil liberties are on hold or they are not. The police don’t get to pick and choose when they intervene.
    tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

When I was stopped and searched (the police were looking for someone who had recently held up the Post Office, and I unfortunately matched the description), the main officer became very apologetic when he realises it obviously wasn’t me. He said something like “if we don’t do our job right every time we get criticised”.

The same applies here. The responsibility rests with the politicians. You cannot leave the police to “use their judgment”. Either civil liberties are on hold or they are not. The police don’t get to pick and choose when they intervene.
    They choose that every day, multiple times. The one time I needed police assistance they very much chose not to intervene.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    edited March 2021
    I’m not sure I would have gone with that pun in the thread header.

Is TSE saying these markets are a fake that only fools take seriously?

On topic, I agree 40-45 looks value, but I’m not sure I’d take it. My instinct is the SNP will probably hold their position despite their rampaging criminality and incompetence, because Sindy (like Johnson in 2019).

If they do collapse, I think they will collapse suddenly and dramatically, as Scottish Labour did in 2011 during the campaign.

So therefore I expect them to be either near 50% or under 40%.

I do not expect them to drop to under 40% this time unless Salmond founds a new party. Given how unpopular he is, that wouldn’t win power but it might siphon off 10-15%. But again, it ain’t gonna happen.

Given another five years - who knows? Five years ago Cameron was master of all he surveyed and we seemed near certain to stay in the EU.

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

They choose that every day, multiple times. The one time I needed police assistance they very much chose not to intervene.
    Yes, and you’d have a right to be pissed off when they don’t treat your particular case seriously.

What we are talking about the severe curtailment of civil liberties. Now, I’ve never been on a demonstration. Perhaps most on PB are the same and we don’t really care about it because it’s what other people do.

The Met has taken zero tolerance policy for policing this sort of thing. You cannot criticise them for being consistent. It’s a fundamental part of who they are and what they do.
    philiph said:

We have several institutions in this country that are (wrongly in my view in several cases) respected, lionisied, untouchable and as a consequence become heavy handed, blinkered, arrogant and ultimately fail at the primary task they should perform.

These can include Police, NHS, Unions, Political Parties, Councils, Private Companies, Celebrities, Utilities and obviously Radiohead

Where the power exceeds the accountability and the consequences are taken by weak third parties or low levels in the organisation.

Nice knowing you...

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

They choose how they police though. And as I've suggested, there were better options available last night. It was hardly going to be a replay of Orgreave, although the police seem tooled up as if it was.
    Aaand we’re back to the nob jokes.

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

They choose how they police though. And as I've suggested, there were better options available last night. It was hardly going to be a replay of Orgreave, although the police seem tooled up as if it was.
    Again, when I was stopped and searched, I was blindsided by a police officer who I didn’t know was there and before I knew it, I was in handcuffs.

There’s a global pandemic, don’t ya know.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

Yes, and you’d have a right to be pissed off when they don’t treat your particular case seriously.

What we are talking about the severe curtailment of civil liberties. Now, I’ve never been on a demonstration. Perhaps most on PB are the same and we don’t really care about it because it’s what other people do.

The Met has taken zero tolerance policy for policing this sort of thing. You cannot criticise them for being consistent. It’s a fundamental part of who they are and what they do.
    But "this sort of thing" in this instance was a vigil to honour a woman who, it would seem from all the available evidence in the public domain, was kidnapped and killed by a serving police officer. If that doesn't require a tailor-made response, I don't what does.

The actions of the police came across as "Yeah, he was one of ours. Fuck you."
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. 86, they got to pick and choose when they knelt before or ran away from BLM mobs.

Ironic, given the vigil sounds altogether pacific.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

But "this sort of thing" in this instance was a vigil to honour a woman who, it would seem from all the available evidence in the public domain, was kidnapped and killed by a serving police officer. If that doesn't require a tailor-made response, I don't what does.

It really doesn’t. The police are doing their jobs. That it is an uncomfortable situation for them doesn’t change the fact that right now, they are policing in exceptional circumstances. If they don’t do their job as they would for anyone else, they would quite rightly get pilloried.

My dad has made the point that the women at that event are white. If the police don’t do they’re job, they would be criticised for going soft on middle class white women.

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. 86, they got to pick and choose when they knelt before or ran away from BLM mobs.

Ironic, given the vigil sounds altogether pacific.

It’s been pointed out that the law has since changed.

FWIW I was fine with the BLM marches because I hoped that our law makers would see that being outside isn’t a big risk to spreading COVID.

Alas, the COVID zealots won the day and we’ve had a zero tolerance approach to policing demonstrations.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

It really doesn’t. The police are doing their jobs. That it is an uncomfortable situation for them doesn’t change the fact that right now, they are policing in exceptional circumstances. If they don’t do their job as they would for anyone else, they would quite rightly get pilloried.

My dad has made the point that the women at that event are white. If the police don’t do they’re job, they would be criticised for going soft on middle class white women.
    I would suggest that middle-class white women are ordinarily the back-bone of the Met's support. Well done in pissing them off too....
    edited March 2021
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

I am not sure they are being consistent, but even if they were, of course that can be a criticism. "This sort of thing" ignores that there are huge differences between yesterdays vigil, BLM, EDL, Extinction Rebellion, Piers Corbyn et al, and each need to be dealt with appropriately. Seeking consistency between them should be a consideration but very far from the only consideration.
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

Aaand we’re back to the nob jokes.
    Well, you are!
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

I can't think of any situation were involving the police is a net positive. They've certainly never recovered anything I've had nicked. When we got burgled they did more damage than the thieves while "collecting evidence".

If we had an intruder I think I'd just do the Full Tony Martin and take my chances in court. As I'm white and well off I'd almost certainly be just fine.

Defund now.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

I would suggest that middle-class white women are ordinarily the back-bone of the Met's support. Well done in pissing them off too....
    You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.

The police aren’t a political party trying to win an election.

They have a duty to police without any discrimination.
    Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

Luisa is an appealing candidate with attractive policies. Hopefully she'll get more exposure in the coming weeks.
    I would be delighted to see Khan on the wrong end of the biggest shock in domestic politics as she replaces him. Sadly, he will still get the benefit of all those harvested votes, with no consideration of whether or not he is a complete waste of space.....
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,702

Yes and it’s quite stark the commentary on social media against the Police isn’t just from the usual suspects but from quite a,out of sensible commentators. Many of whom criticised ‘covidiots’ for trips to beaches and parks or anti lockdown and other protests. It’s hitting home now.

We have seen the met Police taking similar approaches with anti lockdown protests and harassing people in parks.

Hopefully now the policing of people in public and demonstrations where the risk is negligible will return to some sort of sanity.

The politicians own this as much as the Police.
    Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

She’s got some interesting policies there. Homes in he heart of the city could be a real winner. She’s clearly on the saner end of the Lib Dem spectrum. It’s a shame she seems to be virtually non existent in what I have seen of the campaign nationally.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.

The police aren’t a political party trying to win an election.

They have a duty to police without any discrimination.
    They Police with consent and what we saw last night was how they have policed anti lockdown demos and other demos too.

Now it is affecting the mainstream middle,classes and their friends something will be done about it. When it was old Piers Corbyn the same people thought it comical.
    edited March 2021
    Taz said:

Yes and it’s quite stark the commentary on social media against the Police isn’t just from the usual suspects but from quite a,out of sensible commentators. Many of whom criticised ‘covidiots’ for trips to beaches and parks or anti lockdown and other protests. It’s hitting home now.

We have seen the met Police taking similar approaches with anti lockdown protests and harassing people in parks.

Hopefully now the policing of people in public and demonstrations where the risk is negligible will return to some sort of sanity.

The politicians own this as much as the Police.
    The people organising the vigil / protest (choose your word) were 3 local Labour personages including a couple of Councillors, and a further activist - a sane group, compared to those who hijack campaigns for their own political purposes (often SWP).

I won't say I support them particularly, but political extremists these are not. If you want to judge the temper the identity of those arrested may be more interesting.

Though it is quite possible some people looking for trouble turned up to this particular demo.

I haven't been listening to the radio for a couple of days, as I detest the sectarian Women ! Women ! Women ! Men ! Men ! Men ! narratives, and journos not asking any touch questions at all gives me high blood pressure.

F1: not sure if I'll post it but I've made some rambling notes on testing.

This article on day 2 has some pace suggestions but I'm not sure how much I buy into it. The F1 website, which I don't always check for stuff like this, regularly puts up similar from practice for qualifying/race day and I think such conclusions are tentative at best.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.5-things-we-learned-on-day-2-of-pre-season-testing-in-bahrain.2ecwPj6SvKB3NMBYhuEUpR.html

For those who dislike clicking links, the key note is that Red Bull are apparently fastest, ahead of Mercedes. Alpine also looking good. I think it's way too early to say.
    What do we know of those arrested at the demo in London - were they women peacefully holding a vigil for their friend, or some of the more aggressive SWP/ER types who we know went spoiling for a fight with police at the anti-racism protests last year?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Personally I think Dick needed to go after the clap for carers Tower bridge nonsense.
    It'll be interesting to see who her replacement is.
    Someone harder line I expect
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Is there a market on Cressida Dick staying until after the Mayoral elections.....
    edited March 2021
    tlg86 said:

This interests me - how many other PBers have been stopped and searched?

Mine was in Kings Cross station in about 2008 under I think Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000. It was entirely random, as me + gf were standing looking at the local map in Kings Cross station on a day out in London.

It was at the time Nulab were doing half a million S&S in London per year. That year they did not find any terrorists iirc. My suspicion about the motivation is that they were under the political cosh for too many S&S of ethnic minorities so were trying to balance up the numbers.

Looked the WPC in the eye and asked "do you really suspect we are Terrorists?". "Yes". Refused to give names, but the S&S was over in a couple of minutes.

Wrote a blog post about it which landed at no 1 on Google, and the Beeb found it and did a News 24 interview.

All to reminiscent of the harrassment of photographers by police going on around that time. Always treat them with suspicion now.

I think the only UK police force doing this loopy kind of thing is Scotland, unless they have stopped too.

The story about how the police effectively intimidated my mum into stopping driving is more concerning, but that's for another time.

Is there a market on Cressida Dick staying until after the Mayoral elections.....

Odds on to go I think
    MattW said:

tlg86 said:

Mine was in Kings Cross station in about 2008 under I think Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000. It was entirely random, as me + gf were standing looking at the local map in Kings Cross station on a day out in London.

It was at the time Nulab were doing half a million S&S in London per year. That year they did not find any terrorists iirc. My suspicion about the motivation is that they were under the political cosh for too many S&S of ethnic minorities so were trying to balance up the numbers.

Looked the WPC in the eye and asked "do you really suspect we are Terrorists?". "Yes". Refused to give names, but the S&S was over in a couple of minutes.

Wrote a blog post about it which landed at no 1 on Google, and the Beeb found it and did a News 24 interview.

I think the only UK police force doing this loopy kind of thing is Scotland, unless they have stopped too.

The story about how the police effectively intimidated my mum into stopping driving is more concerning, but that's for another time.
    I was stopped once, I’d come off a train from London and arrived in the city of Durham. I was walking into the city with another chap and the police called me over as I matched the description of someone reported to be trying to enter a house. Didn’t get as far as a search as this chap was American and I showed them my train ticket.
    Nigelb said:
    The true count was actually 2.98, remainder backdated
    MattW said:

Twice. Once at Edinburgh Waverly and once in Mile End Road.

I've been locked up three times. UK, Bangkok and Bahrain. UK was easily the worst and Bahrain was the best. I drank coffee with head Bahraini cop and played Burma Road with him on the dartboard in his office while we waited for the British military attache to grease the wheels to get me out.
    MaxPB said:

A friend of mine went last night, she said that the vigil was socially distanced and the vast majority were wearing masks. Until the kettle. After that it became impossible to socially distance and the police made what was a pretty calm, well distanced and peaceful vigil into an unsafe protest.

She now has even less trust in the police to do right be women than she did before last night. The use of the kettle is going to be put under severe scrutiny, it's those tactics that created an unsafe environment.

I thought they stopped Kettling years ago.

I suspect there will,be quite a few claims going in over this,
  • Taz said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

She’s got some interesting policies there. Homes in he heart of the city could be a real winner. She’s clearly on the saner end of the Lib Dem spectrum. It’s a shame she seems to be virtually non existent in what I have seen of the campaign nationally.
    Luisa is a great candidate! Her issue is traction - does anyone care what policies the LibDems propose in London.

Its a one horse race in London. Had the Tories put up a candidate with a brain they might have been able to challenge Khan. Sadly they picked Shaun Bailey and seemingly have given him an open remit to say the most stupid and offensive things possible on a regular basis.
    MaxPB said:

A friend of mine went last night, she said that the vigil was socially distanced and the vast majority were wearing masks. Until the kettle. After that it became impossible to socially distance and the police made what was a pretty calm, well distanced and peaceful vigil into an unsafe protest.

She now has even less trust in the police to do right be women than she did before last night. The use of the kettle is going to be put under severe scrutiny, it's those tactics that created an unsafe environment.

They gave the kettle treatment to the peaceful group? Oh dear, what on Earth were the Met thinking?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Taz said:

MaxPB said:

I think they just call it something different.
    Mr. Sandpit, it does sound rather special, given social distancing.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:
    The true count was actually 2.98, remainder backdated
    The equivalent of 600k over here, which is pretty good.
  • Male officers in the Metropolitan Police. Dragging women off into the dark. At a vigil to a woman dragged off in the dark, murdered and seemingly dismembered. With a male officer in the Metropolitan Police charged with her abduction and murder.

Wasn't the smartest rules of engagement was it?

It was idiotic and why when the vigil was nearing its end

Dick has to resign
    MaxPB said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

I think they just call it something different.
    Potting?

Male officers in the Metropolitan Police. Dragging women off into the dark. At a vigil to a woman dragged off in the dark, murdered and seemingly dismembered. With a male officer in the Metropolitan Police charged with her abduction and murder.

Dick has to resign
    Patel should go too.
    I have just tried to bring up the Afghanistan/Zimbabwe test on Free Sports Player.

Only to get the message, 'sorry, this content is only available to paying customers.'
    Scott_xP said:
    Isn't it a shame then that this is managed by the Met?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    Scott_xP said:
    I posted an article on last night’s thread which showed that, even with indoor transmission, infection is strongly correlated with individuals having large viral loads.
    Unless you’re very close to others outdoors, it’s pretty safe (I still wear a mask in town centres when there are a lot of people about).
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz joined forces Saturday with four other Central European leaders to complain about the allocation of coronavirus vaccines.

Kurz’s and his counterparts from Latvia, Bulgaria, Slovenia and the Czech Republic called for vaccine distribution to be discussed at an EU summit. In a letter to European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Charles Michel, they noted that jointly purchased vaccines aren’t being delivered to EU member countries equally, based in proportion to their population.

The Commission’s response: Don't blame us. It restated what has been well known for months — that some countries didn’t sign up for all the vaccines they were entitled to, and others bought up the extra doses.

https://www.politico.eu/article/austria-eu-coronavirus-vaccines-distribution-european-commission-sebastian-kurz-summit/
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Taz said:

MaxPB said:

With this being 2021 there'll hopefully be enough video, between TV cameras and phones, to get to the bottom of who's telling the truth about what. In time.
    Scott_xP said:
    Interesting. I wouldn't be going on that date - there are all kinds of loons jumping on it.
    Dura_Ace said:

Male officers in the Metropolitan Police. Dragging women off into the dark. At a vigil to a woman dragged off in the dark, murdered and seemingly dismembered. With a male officer in the Metropolitan Police charged with her abduction and murder.

Dick has to resign
    Patel should go too.
    I'm conflicted here, because I don't think they should resign, but that's only because I think neither of them should have been appointed in the first place.
  • Andrew Marr show reporting vigils were conducted peacefully across the UK yesterday in contrast to the mayhem caused by the MET

Andrew Marr show reporting vigils were conducted peacefully across the UK yesterday in contrast to the mayhem caused by the MET

Were there not vigils in other parts of London?

The local MP said the Lambeth Police were taking a "softly-softly" approach but were over-ruled from on-high.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Dura_Ace said:

I can't think of any situation were involving the police is a net positive. They've certainly never recovered anything I've had nicked. When we got burgled they did more damage than the thieves while "collecting evidence".

If we had an intruder I think I'd just do the Full Tony Martin and take my chances in court. As I'm white and well off I'd almost certainly be just fine.

Defund now.
    David Copperfield's Wasting Police Time is a good read (and as I keep saying advocated elected PCCs) and, in one episode when a burglar was properly beaten up by a quite handy homeowner, local plod speculates on the wording the homeowner might use. Something along the lines of it being dark and being scared and thinking the guy had a knife and that once he was on the ground not hitting any more, etc.

Which would bring about an NFA (no further action).
  • tlg86 said:

Andrew Marr show reporting vigils were conducted peacefully across the UK yesterday in contrast to the mayhem caused by the MET

Were there not vigils in other parts of London?
    Probably
    Was stopped twice in my youth. Both late at night, and both times as I was returning from romantic assignations. The first time I was on a moped driving home from visiting my girl-friend and I was waved down and questioned. Nothing unpleasant, just a nuisance. The second time I was walking back to my lodgings from my fiancée's home; she lived 250 miles away from my home, so I got a job local to her and found a house where they 'took in young gentlemen and did for them'. As happened up until about the 70's.
    Anyway my laundry always went in with my fiancée's family wash, and I was taking the current load 'home' late one evening when a policeman, who clearly had nothing better to do, stopped me, chatted for a bit about what I was doing, then made me unpack the whole bagful of lovingly ironed clean clothes,
    Then a police whistle sounded in the distance and he ran off towards it.
    edited March 2021

Was stopped twice in my youth. Both late at night, and both times as I was returning from romantic assignations. The first time I was on a moped driving home from visiting my girl-friend and I was waved down and questioned. Nothing unpleasant, just a nuisance. The second time I was walking back to my lodgings from my fiancée's home; she lived 250 miles away from my home, so I got a job local to her and found a house where they 'took in young gentlemen and did for them'. As happened up until about the 70's.
    Anyway my laundry always went in with my fiancée's family wash, and I was taking the current load 'home' late one evening when a policeman, who clearly had nothing better to do, stopped me, chatted for a bit about what I was doing, then made me unpack the whole bagful of lovingly ironed clean clothes,
    Then a police whistle sounded in the distance and he ran off towards it.

My and my girlfriend of the time were at it in my car in a Watford car park only to be interrupted by a copper. He made me open a window and asked if all was OK. I noticed he made sure to shine his torch on semi-naked girlfriend. Dirty bastard.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Snap reaction from my parents on the mother's day video call - police have got a screw loose. My dad thinks is because a police is involved and they're closing ranks to prevent criticism of one of their own and Met failures in preventing this.
    edited March 2021
    Awesome! Just been watching this one too, the day Murray got ‘got’ by Michael Aspel and his big red book. What a life.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DrZwb-0-h9s
    MaxPB said:

Snap reaction from my parents on the mother's day video call - police have got a screw loose. My dad thinks is because a police is involved and they're closing ranks to prevent criticism of one of their own and Met failures in preventing this.

Funnily enough, my parents take the opposite view. With a bit of luck YouGov might poll this.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

I would be delighted to see Khan on the wrong end of the biggest shock in domestic politics as she replaces him. Sadly, he will still get the benefit of all those harvested votes, with no consideration of whether or not he is a complete waste of space.....
    I'm curious as to what you mean by "harvested votes"? Would you use the same expression for the loyal shire Tory vote in places like Devon, or is it something specific to London?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Dick has to resign
    Therein would lie an incredible irony. Individual violence against a woman by a male Policeman, followed by (generally, but not exclusively) violence from male Policemen towards groups of women, and the head you are calling for is that of an LGBT woman.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Sandpit said:

Probably missed bigger value here, but there’s a large pile of 1.07 to lay Sadiq Khan as next mayor of London. If he doesn’t fire Cressida Dick today, he really needs to be considering his own position.

I expect, of course, that neither will happen, and there’s a good chance of him being challenged from the left by a Reform the Met candidate.

The Women's Equality Party have a candidate called Mandu Reid.

If I were in London I'd be strongly tempted to give them my vote.

Dick has to resign
    Therein would lie an incredible irony. Individual violence against a woman by a male Policeman, followed by (generally, but not exclusively) violence from male Policemen towards groups of women, and the head you are calling for is that of an LGBT woman.
    So we should be gender blind - except when a woman fucks up?
This discussion has been closed.