Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Is this Trump’s legacy – Republican voters significantly less likely to follow COVID guidelines than

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2021 in General
imageIs this Trump’s legacy – Republican voters significantly less likely to follow COVID guidelines than Democratic ones? – politicalbetting.com

f

Read the full story here

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited March 2021
    Trump's legacy is that the lunatics have finally taken over the Republican party.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    Close to first..
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    Although 69% of Republicans would maintain the guidelines to a certain degree without any requirement to do so.
    Surprised that is so high.
    Into my second thread on hold.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249
    edited March 2021
    FPT for Stodgy on Pelion, Greece

Basically, almost anywhere south of the main town, Volos (which is hideous: avoid) is beautiful. There are a few tacky resorts but they’re rare. You can either stay in the historic hill villages, or on the lush green southern coast. Do both if you can. A lovely mix

Villages:

https://www.greeka.com/thessaly/pelion/

This is a gorgeous stretch of the coast tho you might meet the Johnson family

https://www.feelgreece.com/en/milina-pelion
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited March 2021
    SCon karaoke, the kind when someone destroys what was a pretty pish choon in the first place.

https://twitter.com/bradleygbooth/status/1369341736733061120?s=20
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    The Biden blitz is coming
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/09/biden-american-rescue-plan-covid-474919
    President Joe Biden spent the first months of his presidency hunkered down as he worked on getting more vaccines into people’s arms and a massive bill to deal with the pandemic to his desk.

With that $1.9 trillion legislation set to clear Congress and the pace of vaccinations picking up, the White House is preparing to embark on a new, far more public-facing phase.

Biden is scheduled to deliver his first prime-time address as president Thursday, which will focus on the Covid crisis. Later this month, he’ll hold the first press conference of his young presidency. He’s committed to making a still-unscheduled address to Congress. And officials are busy preparing for a sprawling sales campaign designed to draw attention to the benefits of the Covid-relief package. Biden, first lady Jill Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and others will hit the road to tout, among other things: the $1,400 checks, how billions of dollars in the bill will reopen schools, and the investments being made in increasing the numbers of vaccinations.

“There are a lot of people who use the term ‘victory lap’ in a derogatory way. I’ve already heard people saying that Biden is about to take a victory lap. Well, that’s a lot of crap,” said House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), a close Biden ally. “One of the—if not the biggest—mistakes that Obama made, in my opinion, was getting the Recovery Act done and not explaining to people what he had done.”
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Son has been given date in SEPTEMBER for his covid booster shot (not 2nd jab - that's this month)
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,919
    Stocky said:

It`s My Truth that I`m first.

It’s my truth that those backwards apostrophes offend me to the core of my being.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Might it not be that Mike has the cart before the horse? I get the impression that Trump was a success in part because people distrusted the Government. Is it not the case that Trump and ignoring Covid guidance are symptoms of the same malaise rather than one causing the other?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

SCon karaoke, the kind when someone destroys what was a pretty pish choon in the first place.

No idea if it will work in Scotland in 2021.

But in 2015, the original was the most potent single political image in decades.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Sad indeed. The two homes I owned in London were in Balham (Pentney Road) and Brixton (off Josephine Ave), so the route she would have been walking from Cavendish Road to Brixton Water Lane pretty much links those two. Very much places I know well.

Awful

No idea if it will work in Scotland in 2021.

But in 2015, the original was the most potent single political image in decades.
    Until a certain bus?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Floater said:

Son has been given date in SEPTEMBER for his covid booster shot (not 2nd jab - that's this month)

Interesting. I assume he is immune suppressed ?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Although it would be in our national interests to do so (I'm thinking public health more than any sort of political/diplomatic dickery) if we were.

https://twitter.com/1RabbitInMyFlBd/status/1369671100075020289
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Floater said:

As in a booster of the same jab he's already had? Or a different kind of jab?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Phil said:

Stocky said:

It’s my truth that those backwards apostrophes offend me to the core of my being.
    Brave of you to speak out on this. I've been scared to.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    The Metropolitan Police have confirmed the man arrested in connection with the disappearance of 33-year-old Sarah Everard from Clapham is a 48-year-old policeman serving in the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, and based in the Houses of Parliament.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited March 2021
    A reasonable slowdown in the decline in case numbers but the decline in deaths remains constant. Still positive.

A day like today is not a day for soundbites...but...

Twat.

https://twitter.com/ShaunBaileyUK/status/1369662807759847430?s=20
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    kinabalu said:

Phil said:

Stocky said:

Explain. Have I committed some apostrophe faux pas?

A reasonable slowdown in the decline in case numbers but the decline in deaths remains constant. Still positive.

What one would expect with proximate vs lagging indicators, though. I strongly doubt we'll see a straight line decrease all the way down to 0
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837

The Metropolitan Police have confirmed the man arrested in connection with the disappearance of 33-year-old Sarah Everard from Clapham is a 48-year-old policeman serving in the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, and based in the Houses of Parliament.

Crumbs.
    Line of Duty series 6 a couple of weeks early.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,880
    Cases still down, but a possible slowing of the descent, almost certainly linked to the increase in testing around schools. Still looking good.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Any guidance advising people in Wales to "stay-local" as lockdown is eased is likely to differ depending on where people live, the health minister has said.

Vaughan Gething suggested people living in rural areas might be able to travel further to access facilities easily available to people in urban areas.

TOOOOOOOOO CONNNNNFUSSIINNG....
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Are Republicans not also older and fatter than the average or is that just my stereotype? If so, then the price paid for this foolishness could be more dead republicans and fewer live ones?
    Nigelb said:
    They’re ahead of us atm. Equivalent in UK would be 500,000. We need to ramp up again ASAP
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

Very big increasing in testing though – assume that's schools?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:
    They’re ahead of us atm. Equivalent in UK would be 500,000. We need to ramp up again ASAP
    Supply is supposed to double from tomorrow, so we'll know soon.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Unstoppable. What do they have in the water over there?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Booster for covid - not sure if its the same type as first and second jabs
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,880
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Is this UK? Not heard about this yet.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
    edited March 2021
    Man's just showing off now. Perhaps the first ministers could take it in turns to be UK PM, as part of union solidarity.
    edited March 2021
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

Stocky said:

He's talking about your calling card - those apostrophes that slope downwards. It's your equivalent of my yankee zees.

No big deal obviously. I don't mind. Bet Phil doesn't either.

Course if Meghan did either the Press would be all over her.

Yes - which I wasn`t expecting to see reported in the figures (according to my wife who is doing some of the testing). I`ll discipline later.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    RobD said:

Could be the shorter supply chain working out for Wales and the new increased supply that's supposed to have arrived this weekend already making its way into people's arms. Hopefully this is replicated across the rest of the country over the next few days and we get back to doing over 600k per day everyday without fail and ramp up to 1m per day by the end of the month.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TimT said:

What one would expect with proximate vs lagging indicators, though. I strongly doubt we'll see a straight line decrease all the way down to 0
    I think we are already at zero for excess deaths. This wave is over, though that won't likely be confirmed for another couple of weeks.

Time to seriously think about escalating lifting lockdown. May is far too late to be reopening indoors, the vaccines and T&T have stopped this wave so let us get back to our lives.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997

I expect so, and was always likely to flush out some asymptomatic/barely symptomatic cases that otherwise wouldn't have been found out.

Twat.

Crass.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:
    Indeed. There is a troubling slowdown here. Yes, we have seen the fabled NHS letter. Which will be fine, assuming the promised uptick is realised. Yet the fact remains that we are almost halfway through 'Mega March', and the rate is in the doldrums.

Floater said:

Floater said:

Is this UK? Not heard about this yet.
    AIUI there is a booster jab being planned with updates against the various mutations, Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and Novavax are all said to be having them ready in advance of winter so vulnerable people can be given a booster jab. I didn't know that patients were being made aware that they'd be booked in for a third jab yet though.
    kle4 said:

Man's just showing off now. Perhaps the first ministers could take it in turns to be UK PM, as part of union solidarity.
    Why have cotton three-quarters of the time, when you can have silk all the time?

Drakeford for World President.
    RobD said:

Vaccines.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Manfred Weber (Brexit Party) also joining Weber (UKIP) in attacking Astrazeneca.
    DavidL said:

Are Republicans not also older and fatter than the average or is that just my stereotype? If so, then the price paid for this foolishness could be more dead republicans and fewer live ones?

Biden's margin of victory in the swing states was less than the death toll in those states from memory.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:
    Yes, and willingness to be vaccinated in the US has been slowly rising, despite the absurd disparity between Democrats and Republicans.
    If Trump had televised his and Melania's vaccine shots, he could despite everything be taking some of the credit too.

In any event, it's not going to be very long until discussion moves on to what should be done with the large vaccine surpluses, both there and here.
    These people have got a screw loose. If the EU bans export of Pfizer vaccines to the UK the UK will in turn ban exports of the lipid layer product manufactured in Yorkshire that is absolutely critical to manufacturing of the vaccine.

Honestly, I think some of them need to have their heads examined by professionals.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    RobD said:

I think Big_G said they were doing second doses after 9 weeks, so it looks like they might be getting sent a slightly larger allocation from the UK pot to accommodate that.

You can see the earlier second doses in the data. In Wales they've done 200,000 second doses and 1 million first doses, while in England the respective figures are less than 1 million and more than 19 million.
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

Stocky said:

He's talking about your calling card - those apostrophes that slope downwards. It's your equivalent of my yankee zees.

Jeez. I had no idea. I`m genuinely pissed off.

So, I`m above should be I'm - is that right??
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:
    Yes, and willingness to be vaccinated in the US has been slowly rising, despite the absurd disparity between Democrats and Republicans.
    If Trump had televised his and Melania's vaccine shots, he could despite everything be taking some of the credit too.

In any event, it's not going to be very long until discussion moves on to what should be done with the large vaccine surpluses, both there and here.
    The irony is that Trump probably deserves some credit (first time I've ever said that). The USA's major investment into vaccine procurement, like our own, is what allowed today's vaccinations to be possible.

Investing in vaccines is the one thing he did right.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    RobD said:

A lot of 'leeks'?
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Cases still down, but a possible slowing of the descent, almost certainly linked to the increase in testing around schools. Still looking good.
    There were almost double the number of tests performed yesterday than the week before. To still see a fall in cases in the circumstances is in my view very good news. I had fully expected to see an increase in cases this week caused by the additional testing.

What it does mean is that the number of cases will slow this week as a result of the increased testing but next week the declines ought to increase again. This is on the presumption that the return to school does not start cause an increase in cases. I think given that about half the population has some form of immunity (vaccinations and/or previously had Covid) this should hopefully not happen.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Twat.

Crass.
    Yes crass, but also stupid given the way the story is developing.

Surely someone in his position - presumably surrounded by well connected advisors - can join the dots and stfu when required?

Perhaps he’s just an idiot.
    MaxPB said:

These people have got a screw loose. If the EU bans export of Pfizer vaccines to the UK the UK will in turn ban exports of the lipid layer product manufactured in Yorkshire that is absolutely critical to manufacturing of the vaccine.

Honestly, I think some of them need to have their heads examined by professionals.
    They’re in some parallel universe. Again, I don’t understand

As has been noted elsewhere, it doesn’t even make political or public health sense (even if you ignore the hysterical lies). The EU’s vaccine performance isn’t that bad. They’re behind the UK and USA but they’re now speeding up. By tantruming like this they imply the vaccine drive is a disaster. If they were upbeat and positive they’d be giving much better signals to their voters, encouraging everyone to get the jab. Madness
    MaxPB said:

He's also an ignorant nutter, since he appears to be under the impression that the AZN vaccine uses "the RNA technology in biotech".
    The facts about the funding of the AZN vaccine, and the difference of months between our contracting to purchase it and Europe doing so are not exactly hard to elucidate, either.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

I expect so, and was always likely to flush out some asymptomatic/barely symptomatic cases that otherwise wouldn't have been found out.
    10 million test per week in the secondary schools....
  • FossFoss Posts: 694

RobD said:

I think Big_G said they were doing second doses after 9 weeks, so it looks like they might be getting sent a slightly larger allocation from the UK pot to accommodate that.

You can see the earlier second doses in the data. In Wales they've done 200,000 second doses and 1 million first doses, while in England the respective figures are less than 1 million and more than 19 million.
    The Welsh population is older and whiter than England's population. Wales being ahead shouldn't be that suprising.
    edited March 2021
    RobD said:

Two hydrogen for every oxygen.

RobD said:

A possibility is that they're using doses stockpiled for second doses, so have fewer in storage than other parts of the UK.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

A great problem to have, even if the best response to it leads to fraught arguments on PB.

Re Trump and the vaccine, I imagine he'll have it but will keep the fact a secret for fear of upsetting a big chunk of his supporters. Talk about a crazy world.
    MaxPB said:

The dregs of European domestic politics wash up in Brussels. And you are surprised that they act stoopid?
  • On topic. Isn't this mostly a function of Republicans living in rural areas and Democrats in more urban areas?
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

A great problem to have, even if the best response to it leads to fraught arguments on PB.

Re Trump and the vaccine, I imagine he'll have it but will keep the fact a secret for fear of upsetting a big chunk of his supporters. Talk about a crazy world.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/01/donald-melania-trump-covid-vaccines
    I guess he'd been holding it in for 10 years.

https://twitter.com/dido15/status/1369680790666280963?s=20
    ping said:

kinabalu said:

Twat.

Crass.
    Yes crass, but also stupid given the way the story is developing.

Surely someone in his position - presumably surrounded by well connected advisors - can join the dots and stfu when required?

Perhaps he’s just an idiot.
    I've heard he's not the brightest.
    AlistairM said:

There were almost double the number of tests performed yesterday than the week before. To still see a fall in cases in the circumstances is in my view very good news. I had fully expected to see an increase in cases this week caused by the additional testing.

What it does mean is that the number of cases will slow this week as a result of the increased testing but next week the declines ought to increase again. This is on the presumption that the return to school does not start cause an increase in cases. I think given that about half the population has some form of immunity (vaccinations and/or previously had Covid) this should hopefully not happen.
    Controversial opinion based on no scientific training at all - the countries with a straight up and down peak in late December and January (the US, the UK and SA) saw all the low hanging fruit and superspreaders caught, with the result all three countries have a lot of infected to add to their injected.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    I find the government's vaccine home movie extraordinary.

They are trumpeting their program from the mountaintops but preventing the vaccinated from accessing more freedoms.

All that does is completely undermine their achievement.
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

He and Melania already had it, unannounced. But the story leaked anyways.
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

He's also an ignorant nutter, since he appears to be under the impression that the AZN vaccine uses "the RNA technology in biotech".
    The facts about the funding of the AZN vaccine, and the difference of months between our contracting to purchase it and Europe doing so are not exactly hard to elucidate, either.
    Yes, completely batshit. I didn't expect the EU to give such a clear example of why leaving was the right thing to do so quickly. The whole vaccine approach and subsequent fallout has, if anything, made it even more abundant that decoupling from the EU in trade and other parts of the relationship we have maintained is in our long term national interest.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,919
    Just in case we might have thought that Test&Trace had sorted things out & was now a well-run operation: https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/outsourcing-firm-sitel-told-contact-tracers-to-use-their-personal-email-accounts-to-share-peoples-case-details
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

As has been noted elsewhere, it doesn’t even make political or public health sense (even if you ignore the hysterical lies). The EU’s vaccine performance isn’t that bad. They’re behind the UK and USA but they’re now speeding up. By tantruming like this they imply the vaccine drive is a disaster. If they were upbeat and positive they’d be giving much better signals to their voters, encouraging everyone to get the jab. Madness
    They're contriving to turn Brexit into an existential issue for the EU.
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

Stocky said:

Jeez. I had no idea. I`m genuinely pissed off.

So, I`m above should be I'm - is that right??
    That's trad, yes. But it'd be a shame to lose an idiosyncracy. So I'd stay as you are.
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

It’s a gift from the Gods for Boris though. Gets to “stand up to Brussels” and conflate this with all sorts of Brexit related disputes to create his own “more in sorrow that in anger” narrative about how unreasonable they are.

All of this just before an election, when vaccines are going well, and when Covid is still obscuring any Brexit economic impact (and frankly, the amount of rebuilding and rewriting of the economy now required will serve to make Brexit as a cause of any issues a hazy memory anyway).

He’s a lucky general.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

Nope but I do think someone needs to explain that pfizer needs raw materials only available from the UK to produce any vaccines and what the likely result of what their suggestion would be.
  • RobD said:

A possibility is that they're using doses stockpiled for second doses, so have fewer in storage than other parts of the UK.
    Actually my wife and I had our second Pfizer vaccination 6 weeks and 1 day after the first

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

They're contriving to turn Brexit into an existential issue for the EU.
    Is this related to Brexit? Does it menace their brittle self-esteem that much? Quite peculiar
    DougSeal said:

AlistairM said:

Controversial opinion based on no scientific training at all - the countries with a straight up and down peak in late December and January (the US, the UK and SA) saw all the low hanging fruit and superspreaders caught, with the result all three countries have a lot of infected to add to their injected.
    I would go for a psychological explanation - the faster cases rise, the scarier it is, so the more inclined people are to stay home and not find reasons to make exceptions.

Therefore there is less social contact, even with the same, or less strict, set of formal rules.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,148

I guess he'd been holding it in for 10 years.

https://twitter.com/dido15/status/1369680790666280963?s=20

No wonder the scaffies were moaning on the same list of reports:

Glasgow City Council hits out at Rangers fans claims they helped with clean-up operation

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19148351.281160626/?ref=ar
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,148

RobD said:

Two hydrogen for every oxygen.

Not to mention some deuterium and the odd tritium from Hinkley Point and Wylfa.

If the pre-Easter school opening doesn't lead to an increase in cases, and we do have a bumper few weeks on the vaccination front, Johnson will have to be mightily tempted to bring forward a lot of restriction easing to before the elections.

He'll receive a huge "Covid is over earlier than expected" bounce if he does.

You'd be anticipating a Jacinda Ardern scale victory in those circumstances in English councils. London, Scotland, perhaps not so much.

Any Corbyn loyalists in the shadow Cabinet who might resign and call for Starmer to go?

DougSeal said:

AlistairM said:

I would go for a psychological explanation - the faster cases rise, the scarier it is, so the more inclined people are to stay home and not find reasons to make exceptions.

Therefore there is less social contact, even with the same, or less strict, set of formal rules.
    Possibly.
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

He and Melania already had it, unannounced. But the story leaked anyways.
    Ah ok. So he is not living strong and free. He's sold out and capitulated to the deep nanny state. Booooo.
    edited March 2021
    @contrarian

Yer man's had the jab. Great big orange wuss.
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

AlistairM said:

Possibly.
    In Ireland they publish data on the average number of close contacts of a confirmed case, so if I wanted to I could see how that compared in January (their steep peak three) to November (less so).

I'm wary of your explanation because we had exactly the same sort of wishful thinking after the first wave - which didn't end well.
    Good quiz question. I eventually got them all right.

https://twitter.com/ndrlee/status/1369686989922967556?s=21
This discussion has been closed.