Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so to Sunak’s budget starting with an announcement that parts of the Treasury are moving to Darl

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Stocky said:

Help - I want to look back at my posts from a year ago. When I click on "comments" in my record you can page back in time one page at a time. This would take ages to go back 12 months. Is there a faster way?

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/comments/Stocky?page=p4

Put that link into your bar, that loads the 4th page of your posts. Now change that number, eg p40 loads the 40th page which is November last year. p100 loads April last year.

You can search by changing the number in leaps until you get close to what you want, then narrow it down by going a page at a time once you're close.
    Ah ha. That allows me to check certain things and confirm certain suspicions about certain posters. I wonder if I can be bothered? I do hope not.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Leon said:

I don’t see how she survives this. But this is Scotland

It's going to be one of the great political earthquakes of our time!

May election result -

Before Salmondgate: SNP 70 seats, Greens 6, Imperial Overlords: 53
    After Salmondgate: SNP 68 seats, Greens 7, Imperial Overlords: 54

Or something very much like that.
    I'd settle for just standing still as now, but that seems out of reach. Nice to dream for a few days though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920
    Cookie said:

Anyway - on thread, which were the winning bets from the sporting index spreads in the header? I would have bought sips of water.

Selling everything.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,434
    Margaret Mitchell going on far too long. Hopeless. Speech not a question.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2021
    Scott_xP said:
    Quite funny she is wearing the same jacket, makes the transition between the two clips look even better. Only thing to do now is claim it is a deepfake.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Have we had today's jab numbers?

Yes - a notably low day for a wednesday.
    It'll be even lower in a couple of days, as everyone today will have stayed home to watch Sturgeon's testimony.
  • Options
    The convener is a disgrace
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,431
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

Is this a Nat beating up Sturgeon?

Your membership of the Fraternity of PB Scotch Experts is hereby withdrawn.
    Uniondivvie - please explain the word 'Scotch'? My grandmother - who was as Scottish as they come - always used the word 'Scots', and suggested in her very Morningside way that 'Scotch', unless one was discussing whiskey, was a word generally used by ignorant Englishmen. But this was a) one person, and b) many years ago and possibly imperfectly remembered. I'd always steered clear of the word, but not actually being Scottish I'd be interested in any nuances you could provide?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,636

Jackie Baillie so much better. Simple and forensic.
  • Options
    The two ladies conveners spend as a long arguing with one another as asking questions of Sturgeon.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options

Banana Republic without the bananas.....
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Towns Fund Deal. Spot the marginal:

North East: Middlesbrough, Thornaby-On-Tees 46
    North West: Preston, Workington, Bolton, Cheadle, Carlisle, Leyland, Southport, Staveley, Rochdale 211
    Yorkshire and the Humber: Wakefield, Whitby, Scarborough, Grimsby, Castleford, Goldthorpe, Scunthorpe, Morley, Stocksbridge 199
    East Midlands: Newark, Clay Cross, Skegness, Mablethorpe, Boston, Lincoln, Northampton, Mansfield 175
    West Midlands: Wolverhampton, Kidsgrove, Rowley Regis, Smethwick, West Bromwich, Burton-on-Trent, Nuneaton 155
    East of England: Lowestoft, Colchester, Stevenage, Great Yarmouth, Ipswich, Milton Keynes 148
    South East: Crawley, Margate 43
    South West: Swindon, Bournemouth 41

Isn't that because almost towns are marginals? The cities are Labour, the rural areas Tory and the towns are the marginals?
    That's how I'd spin it, yes ;-)

The reality is that places like Fareham, Gosport, Alton, Wellington etc. could really use this money too. But, they're not key marginals.

I get it, but it's a bit obvious (I have a bit of inside info on this btw, because I know there was a shortlisting)
    And that gets to the heart of the matter.

All politicians with any sense have balanced wise, principled governance with down'n'dirty electoral pragmatism. If you don't have power, you don't have the chance to change things.

What depresses about the current government is the impression that winning power isn't only a means to an end, but the end in itself.

Coupled with the realisation that, if you take that approach, winning elections is remarkably easy.
    TBF to them - which is hard but one should try - the pandemic was a black swan event and their mandate from GE19 is simply to govern rather than to do anything in particular. They were elected to implement Leave and for the PM to be "Boris" and not Jeremy Corbyn. That's the extent of it. And it's all done. We should have an election really, once the vaccine rollout is finished.
    I think if I was Labour that probably isn't the line I'd be taking. The vaccine rollout will see the Tories at the zenith of their popularity, and for Labour, Brexit really needs to be as far in the past as possible. Labour don't want to risk another election on Brexit (particularly as Europe's star hasn't exactly shined of late).
    True. I didn't really have my Labour hat on there. I was more thinking of how it's better for a government if they have a vision and a mandate to deliver it. If they don't the risk is it becomes all soundbites and media spin and the energy of the key players is diverted into ego servicing and grift.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

How does one join?
    Learn how to make things up as you go alomg.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,582
    Czech Republic has registered 16,642 new cases today, the equivalent of about 106,000 in the UK.

The highest figure the UK has recorded so far was 68,053 on 8th January.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,094
    Silly deputy convener woman lost an opportunity there, swithering on.

But what a drama
  • Options
    Alton! I used to live just next to it
  • Options
    It’s a big mistake for her to keep attacking Salmond
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Digging into the EFO a bit more, the monthly stats for 2023 look awful, I wonder whether this is related to the effect of turning off the gigantic investment tax break and also raising CT on big business at the same time. Either way, it needs to be addressed in next year's budget. The economy won't be able to take both of these at the same time and it shows in the OBR numbers.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,373
    Andy_JS said:

Czech Republic has registered 16,642 new cases today, the equivalent of about 106,000 in the UK.

And their testing rate is lower than ours....

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-tests-per-thousand-people-smoothed-7-day?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=earliest..latest&country=GBR~CZE&region=World
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Rishi much better talking to Parliament than down the camera to the electorate.
  • Options
    Author! Author!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,557
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

I cannot deny that I am looking forward to seeing footage of Sturgeon facing difficulties, but I fear the level of excitement promised by people on here may not be met.

It's slow burn stuff, and I do not think it will have much immediate cut through in the way of brief soundbites on the news.
    And it's really dull process stuff if you don't care about the separation of powers.

But some of the exchanges were indeed compelling.
    Baillie - who has no legal background - is genuinely brilliant in the examination of a witness, in a way Starmer simply isn't.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Is it, in terms of retaining party and public support? People are pretty forgiving of what might be termed procedural cockups or even deliberate behaviour, if they think people were doing the 'right thing'.
  • Options

Banana Republic without the bananas.....
    https://twitter.com/PaulTogneri/status/1367159033627611138?s=20
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    edited March 2021
    The Converner seems v impressive to me.. far more impressive than the rambling rubbish the other woman got chopped off for.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,772
    kle4 said:

I cannot deny that I am looking forward to seeing footage of Sturgeon facing difficulties, but I fear the level of excitement promised by people on here may not be met.

It's more of a test match than a T20 knockabout.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Is it, in terms of retaining party and public support? People are pretty forgiving of what might be termed procedural cockups or even deliberate behaviour, if they think people were doing the 'right thing'.
    To me, it looks personally vindictive. Like she has an agenda against Salmond. Which, of course, is exactly what she’s accused of. So, yes, a mistake

It may not matter: except that it also ensures Salmond will never give this up
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Budget: the CPI inflation assumption (that it stays at or below 2.0% until 2026) looks rocky to me. A 1% increase in RPI increases debt costs by £7bn, and 1% in gilts by £9 billion. Rather sensitive. This could budget could be out by £50-60bn by FY2025/26.

The corp tax and income tax freezes yield £25bn a year by 2025, so that's big money. IHT also frozen for an extra 0.4bn yield. If it gets desperate he could up VAT to 22%, I guess to give an extra £10-12bn per year.

Also, has he factored in a progressive degradation of fuel duty? I think he's just TBC'ed it in this. I'd have thought it'd be 10-15% below current levels by 2025, 25-35% by 2030 and 60-70% by 2040. That's probably a £3-4bn hole by 2026 alone.

Carbon neutrality will have a serious fiscal cost, although cheaper than the environmental one of course.

I think this is another area where he has to bite the bullet sooner rather than later. There is no longer a need to encourage drivers to take up electric cars - they are going to be forced to do so within 9 years anyway. So he should now look to move to payment per mile for driving with all cars being classed the same. Replace fuel duty and road tax with a completely new system based on how much you drive. If you are worried about the impact on rural areas then you can tinker with rates but basically it will be one system for all with perhaps some regional variation.
    If my clock is read once a year at MOT time, to reconcile my road tax bill for the next year, fine.

But, I do not want to be satellite tracked and monitored for real-time road pricing.

No way do I want any part of the Government knowing where I'm going, when or why, or for how long. Nor do I expect to have to explain myself to anyone: the prospects for abuse are legion.

The fuzz would have dug all over it during this latest lockdown.
    You do know that when you buy a new car, and you turn it on, and there's that big screen about Terms & Conditions for using the in car systems (without which your car will basically not work), that you are agreeing they have the right to sell your location data to whoever they want, right?

Anyone buying a new Ford, Tesla, GM, etc., today has already agreed to let Google and Amazon look at your location history so as to work out what things to sell you.
    I don't have any of those cars but, yes, I do, and I have similar concerns about the use of my data by private companies too. I'd like to see that regulated by primary legislation.

I don't see why I should "accept" the government - who have the power to arrest, detain or fine me - having access to all of my data in real-time just because it's increasingly a feature in the private commercial space.

I want both regulatory spheres dealt with.
    Many seem to make the assumption that because they do all these things like carry a mobile, use gps, use facebook, twitter, always pay electronically, use loyalty cards etc that everyone does it. However a lot of us choose to opt to not doing these things because we are aware of the tracking and do our best to minimize it
    You don't carry a phone or use a debit card for fear of being tracked?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

I think it's a strategic error in that she's declared a fight to the death. Hard to see anyway out for Salmond now than through and he's not going to stop. Maybe this won't have cut through in time for May 2021 but I think today is the day Nicola's dream of being Scotland's first Prime Minister died.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,905

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:
    Problem for Sturgeon is that she told so many whoppers, or ‘contradictory statements’ the Committee is obliged to scrutinize them. Moreover, Salmond’s team will be all over them. This is just going to carry on, and on. It’s that kind of thing that does, in the end, lead to a resignation
    Can they call back Salmond to add, er, clarifications to the evidence they have heard today?
    Problem is they are running out of time, pissed about for 2 years waiting on documents to arrive
  • Options
    sarissa said:

kle4 said:

It's more of a test match than a T20 knockabout.
    Very good analogy. And it was the session after lunch that saw the wickets tumble
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Towns Fund Deal. Spot the marginal:

North East: Middlesbrough, Thornaby-On-Tees 46
    North West: Preston, Workington, Bolton, Cheadle, Carlisle, Leyland, Southport, Staveley, Rochdale 211
    Yorkshire and the Humber: Wakefield, Whitby, Scarborough, Grimsby, Castleford, Goldthorpe, Scunthorpe, Morley, Stocksbridge 199
    East Midlands: Newark, Clay Cross, Skegness, Mablethorpe, Boston, Lincoln, Northampton, Mansfield 175
    West Midlands: Wolverhampton, Kidsgrove, Rowley Regis, Smethwick, West Bromwich, Burton-on-Trent, Nuneaton 155
    East of England: Lowestoft, Colchester, Stevenage, Great Yarmouth, Ipswich, Milton Keynes 148
    South East: Crawley, Margate 43
    South West: Swindon, Bournemouth 41

Isn't that because almost towns are marginals? The cities are Labour, the rural areas Tory and the towns are the marginals?
    That's how I'd spin it, yes ;-)

The reality is that places like Fareham, Gosport, Alton, Wellington etc. could really use this money too. But, they're not key marginals.

I get it, but it's a bit obvious (I have a bit of inside info on this btw, because I know there was a shortlisting)
    And that gets to the heart of the matter.

All politicians with any sense have balanced wise, principled governance with down'n'dirty electoral pragmatism. If you don't have power, you don't have the chance to change things.

What depresses about the current government is the impression that winning power isn't only a means to an end, but the end in itself.

Coupled with the realisation that, if you take that approach, winning elections is remarkably easy.
    TBF to them - which is hard but one should try - the pandemic was a black swan event and their mandate from GE19 is simply to govern rather than to do anything in particular. They were elected to implement Leave and for the PM to be "Boris" and not Jeremy Corbyn. That's the extent of it. And it's all done. We should have an election really, once the vaccine rollout is finished.
    I think if I was Labour that probably isn't the line I'd be taking. The vaccine rollout will see the Tories at the zenith of their popularity, and for Labour, Brexit really needs to be as far in the past as possible. Labour don't want to risk another election on Brexit (particularly as Europe's star hasn't exactly shined of late).
    True. I didn't really have my Labour hat on there. I was more thinking of how it's better for a government if they have a vision and a mandate to deliver it. If they don't the risk is it becomes all soundbites and media spin and the energy of the key players is diverted into ego servicing and grift.
    I'd say the government's vision is:
    1) Get Brexit done - on which whatever your views on the desirability of doing so, they've made big strides since December 2019 - but this issue isn't going to go away or be 'settled' any time soon. This will still take up a lot of government focus.
    2) Levelling up - clearly high on the government's to-do list. Too broad a target to hit in one parliament, really, but it is at least a focus to work towards.

1 has been progressed despite the pandemic, 2 may be completely derailed by it.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Yay indeed!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Not what will be said, more like done...Glasgow kiss?
  • Options

The Converner seems v impressive to me.. far more impressive than the rambling rubbish the other woman got chopped off for.

She's not been too bad - the least worst of the SNP MPs. I'd rate Jackie Baillie (Lab) best, followed by Murdo Fraser (Con). The rest a very mixed bunch. The Lib Dem (Cole-Hamilton) Independent Green (Wightman) and Mitchell (Con) had their moments when they were concise and to the point - which often wasn't often enough, as was demonstrated in the final exchange.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Author! Author!

I thought you were a knapper ?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Budget: the CPI inflation assumption (that it stays at or below 2.0% until 2026) looks rocky to me. A 1% increase in RPI increases debt costs by £7bn, and 1% in gilts by £9 billion. Rather sensitive. This could budget could be out by £50-60bn by FY2025/26.

The corp tax and income tax freezes yield £25bn a year by 2025, so that's big money. IHT also frozen for an extra 0.4bn yield. If it gets desperate he could up VAT to 22%, I guess to give an extra £10-12bn per year.

Also, has he factored in a progressive degradation of fuel duty? I think he's just TBC'ed it in this. I'd have thought it'd be 10-15% below current levels by 2025, 25-35% by 2030 and 60-70% by 2040. That's probably a £3-4bn hole by 2026 alone.

Carbon neutrality will have a serious fiscal cost, although cheaper than the environmental one of course.

I think this is another area where he has to bite the bullet sooner rather than later. There is no longer a need to encourage drivers to take up electric cars - they are going to be forced to do so within 9 years anyway. So he should now look to move to payment per mile for driving with all cars being classed the same. Replace fuel duty and road tax with a completely new system based on how much you drive. If you are worried about the impact on rural areas then you can tinker with rates but basically it will be one system for all with perhaps some regional variation.
    If my clock is read once a year at MOT time, to reconcile my road tax bill for the next year, fine.

But, I do not want to be satellite tracked and monitored for real-time road pricing.

No way do I want any part of the Government knowing where I'm going, when or why, or for how long. Nor do I expect to have to explain myself to anyone: the prospects for abuse are legion.

You do know that when you buy a new car, and you turn it on, and there's that big screen about Terms & Conditions for using the in car systems (without which your car will basically not work), that you are agreeing they have the right to sell your location data to whoever they want, right?

Anyone buying a new Ford, Tesla, GM, etc., today has already agreed to let Google and Amazon look at your location history so as to work out what things to sell you.
    I don't have any of those cars but, yes, I do, and I have similar concerns about the use of my data by private companies too. I'd like to see that regulated by primary legislation.

I don't see why I should "accept" the government - who have the power to arrest, detain or fine me - having access to all of my data in real-time just because it's increasingly a feature in the private commercial space.

Many seem to make the assumption that because they do all these things like carry a mobile, use gps, use facebook, twitter, always pay electronically, use loyalty cards etc that everyone does it. However a lot of us choose to opt to not doing these things because we are aware of the tracking and do our best to minimize it
    I have a mobile but I see no need to take it with me when I go out, I pay cash mostly. Its not just about tracking. That is merely one reason. Frankly I don't want people ringing me when I am out and about so my mobile stays on the desk. I use cash rather than debit card also for the reason I find it easier to keep track of how much I am spending. Not being trackable are merely additional reasons to do so.

People complain about the amount of tracking companies and governments do....take responsibilty and if you think its too much data they collect stop allowing them to collect data seems far more sensible than trying to get watertight privacy laws as we know they will be got round
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112
    Andy_JS said:

That is a big sump of infection right in the middle of Europe.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,977
    DougSeal said:

I think this is the best Wednesday in England the UK since September

https://twitter.com/PHE_uk/status/1367143680696610819

I think it's likely we will see a day – possibly two days – of double digits next week now.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,977
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

The third session of the day (the one before this) - is the one to watch

But you need to watch it all. The tv snippets won’t capture it
    Nothing could be as thrilling as your breathless commentary of it – why bother with the real thing?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Alton! I used to live just next to it

I visited Alton once because a family member is a big Jane Austen fan. Personally I've never been able to get beyond about 5 pages of any of her books so I was just going along for the ride.
  • Options
    And people say Mrs May didn't have a sense of humour:

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1367075223661662209?s=20
  • Options
    moonshine said:

I think it's a strategic error in that she's declared a fight to the death. Hard to see anyway out for Salmond now than through and he's not going to stop. Maybe this won't have cut through in time for May 2021 but I think today is the day Nicola's dream of being Scotland's first Prime Minister died.

Yes, probably. Anyone hoping for Sturgeon to be gone before the election will be disappointed, but no politician recovers from damage of this severity. The aura of invincibility is gone and the moral high ground is a place she'll never visit again.

In a normal political party the men in grey suits would metaphorically give her a pearl-handled revolver and invite her to make use of it. But I think the SNP is simply too much of a personality cult, so Sturgeon will remain in place and the damage will continue to accrue.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

Leon said:
    Is that really an accurate summary of what she said? That would be remarkable, if he did not know the basis why did he answer that he did? That would be no defence.
    Pretty well, yes.
    But with a great deal more padding.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Having the option not to is enough.
    I might take my phone with me when I pop to the shop for a pint of milk. And use a debit card for the purchase, I am very happy I have nothing to hide there. But it's reassuring to know that I'm not compelled to do so: I could, if I wanted, leave it at home; and pay with cash at the shop.

I don't NEED to be off-grid. But I very much don't want to be denied the possibility of being off grid.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Nothing could be as thrilling as your breathless commentary of it – why bother with the real thing?
    The morning session was largely boring. I almost skipped the rest. I am very glad i didn’t.

Compulsive viewing
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I might take my phone with me when I pop to the shop for a pint of milk. And use a debit card for the purchase, I am very happy I have nothing to hide there. But it's reassuring to know that I'm not compelled to do so: I could, if I wanted, leave it at home; and pay with cash at the shop.

I don't NEED to be off-grid. But I very much don't want to be denied the possibility of being off grid.
    On the subject we were talking about mind, I'm quite torn. I'm a libertarian, but also a transport planner. And road pricing is a very attractive way of solving a lot of the strategic problems we face as a profession.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Author! Author!

Didn't there used to be someone else on here who had a four letter name and was an author?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Rishi TV:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews

Started 17.00

It's a bit Jackanory.....
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject we were talking about mind, I'm quite torn. I'm a libertarian, but also a transport planner. And road pricing is a very attractive way of solving a lot of the strategic problems we face as a profession.
    You are pretty much tracked everywhere you go in a car anyway at least on major roads due to the proliferation of anpr cameras
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,246
    So what did I miss? Any exciting bits in Nicola's evidence or all too complex to really have a gotcha point?

And did Sunak do anything interesting?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

And their testing rate is lower than ours....

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-tests-per-thousand-people-smoothed-7-day?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=earliest..latest&country=GBR~CZE&region=World
    I have a good friend in Prague. He says that the populace is behaving completely irresponsibly: ignoring lockdown, visiting elderly relatives, going on holiday, not wearing masks, and many suspicious of the idea of vaccination. He was pretty scathing and thinks that they -- and he is Czech himself -- deserve what's happening. A sad tale indeed.

--AS
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Author! Author!

That's a side gig due to circumstance.
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Mango said:

ClippP said:

And grabbing power is not an end in itself. What do they want power for?

They want power for power's sake.

In the short term: to keep the gravy coming.

In the longer term: to protect the rentier class.

Everything else is secondary, although they'd fight pretty hard to keep the monarchy (as the shining bastion of the rentier class).
    Serendipitously this popped up on my Twitter timeline today.

https://twitter.com/cjfdillow/status/1364856451781582850?s=21
    Some of the most enthusiastic buy-to-lettors I know are leftwing. Wasn't Tyson, firebrand lefty ex of this parish, thus remunerated?

Greed is not a rightwing *thing*. It is a human thing. You'd be amazed how many lefties lose ALL their principles the moment a large amount of money hoves into view.

English Toryism is composed of many strands, from Scruton-esque thoughtful patriotism to libertarian Borisovian hedonism, with a large dash of boring nanny state be-careful TMayism. Dismissing them all as rentiers is pitiful. It's like looking at a garden and saying "it's just a load of things growing".

It would, moreover, be like looking at the history of Labour/leftwingery in the UK and saying "it's just envious workers". I know that the leftwing tradition in Britain is much richer and nobler than that, from the Putney Debates to the Levellers to Kier Hardie and on - the political voice of the common people in Britain has done wonderful things, but has also been warped and hijacked to do bad things.

Much like their patriotic rightwing twin.
    Isn't that just a fancy way of saying that with parties that get 35-40% in the polls, the idea for either Labour or the Tories that their voters and members are all ideologues of the same type is completely bonkers, even if certain strands of thinking predominate?
    Yeah, but I quite like fancy ways of saying things.

Confession: I am a frustrated and thwarted writer reduced to flint-knapping
  • Options
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Author! Author!

Didn't there used to be someone else on here who had a four letter name and was an author?
    We're knee deep in writers, so there were probably several.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    DavidL said:

So what did I miss? Any exciting bits in Nicola's evidence or all too complex to really have a gotcha point?

He ushered in a very high tax, big state, low growth future.

Not sure how interesting that is.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2021
    I listened to Nicola and I found her credible intelligent and impressive. I've got a lot of time for the Sottish posters on this site from all sides. That's what's confusing. The English drama queens like Leon and Big G and the Guidoistas can be ignored. They don't have a vote and any interest they might show is in hoping the Nats fail.

It's obvious to even his most fervent supporters that Salmond is finished. Whatever happens to Nicola that's a given. My question to the Nats is how can crucifying Nicola do anything to advance the Nationalist cause? Is Sturgeon's defenestration really worth collapsing the movement?

• Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

You are pretty much tracked everywhere you go in a car anyway at least on major roads due to the proliferation of anpr cameras
    Worrying about being tracked is getting more and more futile.
    Rather, we ought to be concerned about putting easily understood and managed legal (or coded) constraints on the use of our information. The GDPR is in no way a useful solution.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Good luck finding a car without built in GPS and cellular.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    DavidL said:

You missed an extraordinary spectacle. If you want to see the best of it, check the third session after lunch. Worth viewing in its entirety if you’re a politics geek. Which you are

If you’re pushed for time fast forward to any bit where Baillie was interrogating. But don’t miss Sturgeon nearly blubbing

No gotcha moment. She will survive. But the committee’s conclusions might be interesting

She lied enough and made enough mistakes to ensure the story isn’t going anywhere
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Worrying about being tracked is getting more and more futile.
    Rather, we ought to be concerned about putting easily understood and managed legal (or coded) constraints on the use of our information. The GDPR is in no way a useful solution.
    Doesn't mean in the meantime people shouldn't take responsibility.

Anyone who says "I am worried about the data big tech/governments collect" and then says I use facebook always carry a mobile always pay electronically etc. Well look in the mirror they collect it because you throw it at them.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Not seen Skyfall? Bond's vintage Aston?
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

You missed an extraordinary spectacle. If you want to see the best of it, check the third session after lunch. Worth viewing in its entirety if you’re a politics geek. Which you are

If you’re pushed for time fast forward to any bit where Baillie was interrogating. But don’t miss Sturgeon nearly blubbing

No gotcha moment. She will survive. But the committee’s conclusions might be interesting

She lied enough and made enough mistakes to ensure the story isn’t going anywhere
    I was gutted to miss it but sometimes work gets in the way and today was one of those days. Bah.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137

Leon said:

I always thought Scotch referred only to the alcoholic spirit, not to the Scottish people?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I havent owned a car since 2007 nor driven
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Was she perhaps Gone with the Wind?
  • Options
    Roger said:

I listened to Nicola and I found her credible intelligent and impressive. I've got a lot of time for the Sottish posters on this site from all sides. That's what's confusing. The English drama queens like Leon and Big G and the Guidoistas can be ignored. They don't have a vote and any interest they might show is in hoping the Nats fail.

It's obvious to even his most fervent supporters that Salmond is finished. Whatever happens to Nicola that's a given. My question to the Nats is how can crucifying Nicola do anything to advance the Nationalist cause? Is Sturgeon's defenestration really worth collapsing the movement?

You probably think this is all happening in Cardiff
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

The problem is that all polling on the matter has shown that road pricing is a Fuel Strike moment. No one trusts the government on this.

This is one of the reasons that hydrogen was the promoted clean fuel solution - when the time was right, you would shift the fuel taxes to hydrogen.

Problem is that electricity is everywhere.

The resistance to rebalancing the anti-road structural plans in the light of ZEVs being universal is strong. But it is needed - and it is quite interesting to see some public transport plans in that light....
    You get billed for KWH in your home. The Government doesn't snoop to see what you're using it on, or when, except at a very macro level - and it's wholly commercial.

The thing is Governments have different policy agendas, supreme power, aren't in competition with anyone, so you can't choose, are able to join lots of dots and are this perfectly corruptable: they could also use this to do you for speeding, as much as pricing per mile, and you could be blackmailed. Or petty personal vendettas could be pursued with it.

I will be making my thoughts known on it to my MP.
    In theory smart meters could be used to work out what people use their electricity for. Most devices have a recognisable signature.

They could even work out which TV channel you are watching.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2007.00326
    I want to see an open-book top-to-toe regulatory review of all of this. All of it.

Private. Public. How it works. Checks and balances. Accessibility. Destruction date. Everything.

Far too many of us don't know or understand it, and that includes policymakers as well as consumers.
    While that is all theoretically possible with a hand crafted device snuck into someone's house, it's not reality.

A typical house would have a gas meter, electric meter, home display and a communications hub. Often the hub combines with the electricity meter because it has power. Typically they will periodically take power usage readings say every 5 minutes. This gets saved up and sent out when requested typically via a mobile phone network link from the comms hub.

To ensure security they use the same security model/technology as for banking, basically a pki based architecture. To ensure that meters can transfer when the supplier changes, there is an industry entity called the data collection company that controls all of the meters on behalf of the utility companies.

So all a utility company will get is a series of meter readings which they use to work out the bill, possible using the usage profile with time of use tariffs.

No-one can work out what TV channel you are watching from that, though they might work out when you used a kettle or when you were in. Anything else is paranoia.

All of this is public information.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Roger said:

But have you worked out if she's a man or a woman yet?
  • Options
    Roger said:

I listened to Nicola and I found her credible intelligent and impressive. I've got a lot of time for the Sottish posters on this site from all sides. That's what's confusing. The English drama queens like Leon and Big G and the Guidoistas can be ignored. They don't have a vote and any interest is in hoping the Nats fail.

It's obvious to even his most fervent supporters that Salmond is finished. Whatever happens to Nicola that's a given. My question to the Nats is how can crucifying Nicola do anything to advance the Nationalist cause? Is Sturgeon's defenestration really worth collapsing the cause?

I have far more connections to Scotland and it's politics including a large family in the North East than your superficial nonsense.

I am not English as Big_G_NorthWales indicates

I cannot stand Salmond, nor Sturgeon and have opposed independence since I lived in Bewick on Tweed in the 1950's

You have little or no knowledge of Scotland and neither our families deep love of the Country and Scots
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Roger said:

It's very difficult for movements concentrated on a mad goal, like removing the Tsars and installing a dictatorship of the proletariat, or securing votes for women, or Home Rule for Ireland, or ending Apartheid, to hold themselves together for as long as those movements had to. They usually fail because they split, or get fat and comfortable with government jobs that the change they wanted would threaten their nice comfortable positions. It's kind of expected that the SNP would somehow not achieve their goal and getting fat and splitting is the sort of outcome one might expect.

I do think devolution was a mistake, partly because of the structure of the parliament - it was botched - and partly because it's a threat to the Union but was sold as saving the Union from the same threat that at the time barely existed.

All us scotsmen will have nice new grievances soon though!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Not seen Skyfall? Bond's vintage Aston?
    That would be an amazing car to own :smile:
  • Options

DavidL said:

He ushered in a very high tax, big state, low growth future.

Not sure how interesting that is.
    That was completely predictable. What else can you do when you start off with a £300bn deficit?
  • Options
    Then highest tax burden in since the 1960s and Roy Jenkins apparently.

And for a long time to come. For ever, basically.

Good luck with that Rishi. Seriously mate. Good luck.
  • Options

And how would you pay for covid
  • Options

Good reason for a high tax burden.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Got to pay for a never ending lock down somehow......
  • Options
    There needs to be a global rebellion against technology companies "accidentally on purpose" harvesting data from things like cars, phones, laptops, etc. Of course governments should have done something about it first, but they're always about 20 years behind the latest technological developments.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    Andy_JS said:

That's not their highest. Their highest was 17,766 on 7 January after which it fell back a bit and is now rising again. They were well north of 15,000 a couple of days in late October as well. They are having a camel shaped outbreak having largely dodged the first wave.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

I was gutted to miss it but sometimes work gets in the way and today was one of those days. Bah.
    Check this bit. An outright provable lie

https://twitter.com/mvmccu/status/1367147995087712260?s=21
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

There needs to be a global rebellion against technology companies "accidentally on purpose" harvesting data from things like cars, phones, laptops, etc. Of course governments should have done something about it first, but they're always about 20 years behind the latest technological developments.

Governments and law enforcement like that data though as they can get access to it. It is now common practise in the us for example for investigations to ask for a list of all mobile phones that were within an area
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

By clicking his heels twice to make the whole thing go away.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    Leon said:

Roger said:

You probably think this is all happening in Cardiff
    I did think it was impossible for Roger to get onto Scottish Politics without being waylayed in Hartlepool en route. Or maybe you are taking your cue from Oddschecker!

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-politics/2021-tees-valley-mayoral-election-winner
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

The morning session was largely boring. I almost skipped the rest. I am very glad i didn’t.

Compulsive viewing
    I diagnose a severe case of lockdown locked in syndrome...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Whatever you think of the two Salmond stuck to facts and documents. Sturgeon was ephemeral, evasive, unclear on many of the key points and relied on a sense of emotion, and she spent far too much time on general airy-fairy monologues and conjecture that really should have been cut off earlier.

Salmond presented a case. It might not be the reality, but Sturgeon did not provide anything concrete to truly refute it, and indeed whenever there were any moments of the committee explaining how they had documents corroborating Salmond's account, Sturgeon had no real answer.
  • Options
    I think Labour need to find Jackie Baillie a safe seat and install her as leader

She certainly impressed me today and would be a vast improvement on Starmer
  • Options

Well let's be honest. Punters are being sold the line that we must "pay back" everything borrowed for furlough and covid support loans. Which is a giant porkie pie. Because all that debt has instead been monetised by QE.

It's all just political stage management to try and mark the Tories out as "fiscally responsible". When in reality they've jumped on the China model MMT harder than anyone.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Oh dear...
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

I always thought Scotch referred only to the alcoholic spirit, not to the Scottish people?
    Also pies, eggs, pancakes and mist.

Actually it's just another spelling of the adjective Scottish, which happens to annoy Scots. (Which is a plural noun, but also another variant of Scottish)
  • Options

Whatever you think of the two Salmond stuck to facts and documents. Sturgeon was ephemeral, evasive, unclear on many of the key points and relied on a sense of emotion, and she spent far too much time on general airy-fairy monologues and conjecture that really should have been cut off earlier.

Salmond presented a case. It might not be the reality, but Sturgeon did not provide anything concrete to truly refute it, and indeed whenever there were any moments of the committee explaining how they had documents corroborating Salmond's account, Sturgeon had no real answer.

Good summary
  • Options

I don't think this will pay for the government's handling of covid. I think it is going to fall short.

I'm not sure there is a way of paying for what has been done and retaining living standards at anywhere near what they were.

Either now, or in the future
  • Options

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Oh dear...
    That’s what I mean. She told enough outrageous lies to ensure the scandal will persist. Salmond’ s lawyers will be on this, for sure
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On the position of Ms Sturgeon, it's worth bearing in mind that there is already a complex civil war going on within the SNP, largely incomprehensible to the outsider, but based on a strange mixture of Salmond vs Sturgeon, battles over what to do when Boris disallows a second referendum, and a side war of quite incredible ferocity on trans rights. So her hegemony over the party isn't quite as solid as it seems.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    moonshine said:

Well let's be honest. Punters are being sold the line that we must "pay back" everything borrowed for furlough and covid support loans. Which is a giant porkie pie. Because all that debt has instead been monetised by QE.

It's all just political stage management to try and mark the Tories out as "fiscally responsible". When in reality they've jumped on the China model MMT harder than anyone.
    That's not true. This isn't "paying back" everything borrowed nor has anyone claimed it is.

This is closing the deficit.

People need to learn the difference between debt and deficit.
  • Options

The famous Flash Gordon line - "And with one bound, he was free"
This discussion has been closed.