Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Sturgeon going to survive? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,550

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:
    That will bring a huge number of weekly food shopping bills within contactless.

Current limit is £45.
    Worth remembering it's limitless with mobile devices. Though not many seem to know that.

I had my MOT last week which required a new suspension and other considerable repairs so not cheap at all. Bill was over £500 and I tapped my phone and it went through immediately. The mechanic was shocked it worked, he had no idea that was possible.
    Trouble is you have to unmask to get Face ID with an iPhone. As you try to pay
    Does Apple not allow fingerprints?

I unlock with my finger with my against the back of my Samsung S9. See no reason to use the face stuff, fingerprint is fine for me.
    Face ID has, in many ways, made Apple products harder to use. It rarely works at all on my iPad. Fingerprint ID was easier
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    Other systems have interesting limits

Sainsbury's claim that Apple Pay will work up to 10,000 pounds, in their stores...
    £10k is a strange artificial cap as far as I know officially there isn't a limit I thought. Officially if you had the cash or credit I think you could buy a car or even a house with Apple in theory at least.
    I bought my current car using my debit card: just made sure I had enough funds in my bank account.

It felt a lot safer than buying my first car which I did with a load of £50 notes.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Such arcane nonsense! Either Nicola is a genius or those lining up against her are hopeless. I'd go so far as to say her standing will have been improved after this morning's showing.

She has framed her defense in such a way that misogynists line up behind Alex and those who think women aren't playthings for his edification line up behind her.

It's a convincing and persuasive position and the only cut through from this morning's questions. Who cares who said what to who on March 29th? The public will make up their own minds who are the goodies and baddies.

Incidentally If Murdo McLeod is the brightest tool in the Unionist box then God help Unionism!

Murdo FRASER. Jesus you’re an idiot.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Being caught red handed doesn't mean you won't survive politically. All that matters is if you have enough of your party behind you. Given the nature of these events, it's hard to even get that far.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    I've looked through recent budget speeches and decided to sell million & billion at 87 for a pound a mention.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Such arcane nonsense! Either Nicola is a genius or those lining up against her are hopeless. I'd go so far as to say her standing will have been improved after this morning's showing.

She has framed her defense in such a way that misogynists line up behind Alex and those who think women aren't playthings for his edification line up behind her.

It's a convincing and persuasive position and the only cut through from this morning's questions. Who cares who said what to who on March 29th? The public will make up their own minds who are the goodies and baddies.

Incidentally If Murdo McLeod is the brightest tool in the Unionist box then God help Unionism!

Who is Murdo McLeod
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Waiting to hear back if I have an interview for a new job (or two). Excruciating. Hopefully the Budget provides some distraction. Property taxation review please!
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    Worth remembering it's limitless with mobile devices. Though not many seem to know that.

I had my MOT last week which required a new suspension and other considerable repairs so not cheap at all. Bill was over £500 and I tapped my phone and it went through immediately. The mechanic was shocked it worked, he had no idea that was possible.

I unlock with my finger with my against the back of my Samsung S9. See no reason to use the face stuff, fingerprint is fine for me.
    Face ID has, in many ways, made Apple products harder to use. It rarely works at all on my iPad. Fingerprint ID was easier
    It woks fine for me on my phone if I'm not wearing a mask. With a mask on, not so much.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,273

Animal_pb said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

I remember when people thought Sturgeon was a politician at the top of her game

And then I watch her performance today.....

Problem is very few people are going to be watching her performance.

Look at people like Rochdale and kinabalu brushing this off as much ado about nothing and they're interested in politics.

malcolmg seems to be the only Scottish Nationalist or lefty (I don't think he's actually left?) that seems to view this as extremely serious. Apologies for any others that do that I've missed.

She looks guilty as sin but I think she'll get away with it because of partisan politics.
    She’s badly wounded tho.
    I think that's the point. She won't go, unless she chooses to fall on her sword herself.

I wouldn't put money on her going right now. But I would put money on her never leading the Referendum, whenever it comes.
    Salmond didn’t officially ‘lead’ the referendum last time, Sturgeon was in fact the SNP referendum leader fwiw.

Interesting to consider what part Salmond might play, but leading the Yes campaign won’t be one of the possibilities.
    Salmond? Must be joking. He'll have no role at all. Likewise Sturgeon. They cancel each other out. The feuders will surely be put out to pasture, but not in adjoining fields.
    At least you’ve made the psychological transition to accepting that there will be a referendum. Having attended a couple of AA meetings (not on my own behalf I hasten to add), I believe that first step is often the toughest.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    eek said:

It's 2 hours to Kings Cross - why would you take the hassle of getting to Heathrow..
    See, this is why people take a dislike to Londonders.

Has Stephen Bush ever been to Darlington? I can't imagine he has. I expect he is assuming 'depressing northern small town'. Actually, it's quite nice; the town centre is attractive, there are some pleasant suburbs. Not an exciting town, but certainly not a 'thank god I don't live here' place. And the countryside around there is gorgeous.

I obscurely remember back in 1997 there was some far eastern nation (Japan? China? Thailand?) promoting holidays to Darlington. (For the countryside, rather than the town itself - which is perfectly fine but probably not something to cross half the world for.)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,360
    Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    She says her general awareness and suspicion became specific knowledge when presented with specific allegations. Whether true or not, this is a perfectly possible evolution of a situation.
    You are a very generous soul....
    Also an observant one. And I notice much sudden love for (and trust in) Alex Salmond amongst English enemies of Sindy on the right of politics.
    I dislike and distrust Salmond just as much as I have done for the past ten years, but I will admit to being suddenly grateful for his apparent willingness to torpedo his own political movement to settle a personal score.

Also, this is the funniest thing I've seen in ages, so there's that as well.
    It's certainly a blast for anyone with a strong aversion to Sindy. That's understandable. As is the blatant bias in the commentary from such individuals.
    I do wonder at your seemingly absolute conviction that your view of this is totally fair and balanced, while ours isn't because we're being unduly influenced by our preconceived notions of what we want to be true and to happen.
    Ah no. All fair-minded people realize that I'm objective to a fault but I am not a desiccated coconut on this. I like and trust Sturgeon, am ill disposed towards Salmon based on his known conduct with women and one or two other things, support Sindy and see this making it less likely in the near term. So I'm biased. Just less so than many of those on the other side.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,275

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.

I find it somewhat hilarious that many of the people getting worked up about vaccine passports probably use (at least) fingerprint unlocking. While I fully appreciate there are restrictions how that data is shared, technologically, in principle, there is nothing stopping that data being shared absolutely anywhere.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Roger said:

Who is Murdo McLeod
    He is the person partnering with the woman who now leads Labour that Roger spoke about.
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes.

QTWTAIY? :o
    I thought she might be in trouble but she became safe last night the moment Douglas Ross wanted her to resign.
    Yep. Too partisan. Just like Pelosi over Trump.

Discretion is the better part of valour here: you need the scandal to do all the talking, and the public to call for the resignation once its magnitude dawns on them.
    This thread actually makes me wonder if Dougie is playing the long game.

https://twitter.com/RossPolitics/status/1366877487700062210

Is he really that strategic?

The only game in town at the moment is the short one: stopping an SNP-Green majority in May.
    Probably not possible, but here's hoping!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.

Can't you still use fingerprints as an alternative?

Crazy if so, absolute madness to require faces during a pandemic where we all wear masks. Surely Apple aren't that crazy.

Though if they are no doubt @TheScreamingEagles will be on soon to say how great it is. They could require a Chinese style anal swab to unlock and he'd be calling it the next great thing.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Wow she's very defensive...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    The key issue in politics. Parties cover up for their own. They shouldn't need to - all parties attract all people. That means that every party will have wrong 'uns in their ranks. It isn't a mark of shame on the party when someone is uncovered doing bad, but the covering up of their continued wrongdoing is. Yet all parties do it.
    Quite so. Same reason they all end up justifying anything to stay in power - Bonum Commune Communitatis
  • Options
    Zoe is going to start to be massively skewed by the fact the vaccinated oldsters don't use apps.

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1367066782146703363
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    What I don't get is the stuff about Salmond is "deeply personal to me", and yet she hears rumours about him but is deeply incurious about taking it further. Doesn't stack up.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Don't mind them, the remainers are watching their revenge against brexit fall apart on screen.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

As I said its going to be Nixonesque.. at least Nixon did not have a very annoying voice.

The ghastly mixture of Scottish and woman?
    There is absolutely nothing ghastly about my dear Scots wife
    Take it up with others, BigG. They seem to think Sturgeon has an annoying voice. Probably the same people who find that Anneliese Dodds "lacks gravitas" and "gets on their nerves."
    Are you implying that Anneliese Dodds HAS gravitas?
    No strong opinion on her as yet. But "gravitas" is very often code for "entitled chap who is used to holding forth and I am used to listening to". Don't kid yourself otherwise.
    Gravitas isn't the problem.
    It's her inability to put across a simple political message.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Three cheers for the PB Scotch experts who hadn’t a clue who Murdo or Big Jackie were a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

As I said its going to be Nixonesque.. at least Nixon did not have a very annoying voice.

Take it up with others, BigG. They seem to think Sturgeon has an annoying voice. Probably the same people who find that Anneliese Dodds "lacks gravitas" and "gets on their nerves."
    No strong opinion on her as yet. But "gravitas" is very often code for "entitled chap who is used to holding forth and I am used to listening to". Don't kid yourself otherwise.
    Mrs Thatcher had gravitas. Blair didn't.
    I'd say she had more than he did, yes. Gravitas not being the same as charisma. She struggled with it at first, though. Her voice and mannerisms irritated people. Too high pitched and quick. Too bossy. Etc. TLDR - woman. They have many things to overcome in politics (and indeed generally) that men do not.
  • Options

Leon said:

Roger said:

Three cheers for the PB Scotch experts who hadn’t a clue who Murdo or Big Jackie were a couple of months ago.
    And soon I will be able to forget all about them, once again. Speed the day
  • Options

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    Other systems have interesting limits

Sainsbury's claim that Apple Pay will work up to 10,000 pounds, in their stores...
    Which is a happy coincidence as that is also the price of the new iPad.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Sturgeon just sounds shifty
  • Options

And looks it
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

That’s because the Labour Party does not HAVE a simple political message to put across
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.

Crazy if so, absolute madness to require faces during a pandemic where we all wear masks. Surely Apple aren't that crazy.

Though if they are no doubt @TheScreamingEagles will be on soon to say how great it is. They could require a Chinese style anal swab to unlock and he'd be calling it the next great thing.
    Of course Apple arent that stupid. You just tap your 4 digit phone pin if you’re wearing a mask.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,067
    edited March 2021
    DougSeal said:

Zoe is going to start to be massively skewed by the fact the vaccinated oldsters don't use apps.

Still quite a few around Colchester. Posted by a vaccinated oldster!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    She says her general awareness and suspicion became specific knowledge when presented with specific allegations. Whether true or not, this is a perfectly possible evolution of a situation.
    Also an observant one. And I notice much sudden love for (and trust in) Alex Salmond amongst English enemies of Sindy on the right of politics.
    One doesn't need to love or trust him to hope, if she has done something wrong, that he could help take her down as a result.

That seems unlikely, but nor would it rehabilitate him as a trustworthy figure even if he did.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.

I think the card limit applies if you don't authenticate, just "touch and pay", so you need to unlock the device with a PIN, fingerprint, or face unlock to get the higher or unlimited amount.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    RS reminds me of Will from The Inbetweeners - the OG Briefcase Wanker.
  • Options

Salmond - convincing

Sturgeon - unconvincing
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Leon said:

Roger said:

Point of order, until I left Twitter I couldn’t escape Murdo bloody Fraser as he gets retweeted a lot as if he’s some sort of genius.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    So much for the idea of Salmond letting things go. He's going to absolutely nail Sturgeon.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.

Of course Apple arent that stupid. You just tap your 4 digit phone pin if you’re wearing a mask.
    But these days the payment gizmo is often placed awkwardly behind a screen. Tapping a 6 digit passcode is a faff.

A First World problem, I readily confess
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.

I find it somewhat hilarious that many of the people getting worked up about vaccine passports probably use (at least) fingerprint unlocking. While I fully appreciate there are restrictions how that data is shared, technologically, in principle, there is nothing stopping that data being shared absolutely anywhere.
    It's not shared at all on an Apple device, being stored only locally.
  • Options

Roger said:

Who is Murdo McLeod
    He is the person partnering with the woman who now leads Labour that Roger spoke about.
    Ex Celtic midfielder Murdo McLeod is a public SCon supporter, so easy mistake to make. Probably be better at the politicking than Murdo F. would be at the soccerballing.
  • Options

Salmond - convincing

Sturgeon - unconvincing
    One party is telling the truth, the other one is lying. It's not difficult to work out which is which.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Waffling
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I don't see this torpedoing independence. Fundamentally that's a question of identity. And the politics of identity is extremely resilient to individual behaviour, see Trump in the USA for a recent example.

That's true, though frankly I'll take what I can get on that front.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,567
    Roger said:

God help her.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

DougSeal said:

It's burning like Chernobyl a few miles west of myself:

Maltby West & Hellaby
    Seven days to 25 February 2021
    Total cases
    The rate has increased relative to the previous week.
    21 (131.2%)
    Rolling rate

Wonder what caused that ?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

eek said:

It's 2 hours to Kings Cross - why would you take the hassle of getting to Heathrow..

Has Stephen Bush ever been to Darlington? I can't imagine he has. I expect he is assuming 'depressing northern small town'. Actually, it's quite nice; the town centre is attractive, there are some pleasant suburbs. Not an exciting town, but certainly not a 'thank god I don't live here' place. And the countryside around there is gorgeous.

I obscurely remember back in 1997 there was some far eastern nation (Japan? China? Thailand?) promoting holidays to Darlington. (For the countryside, rather than the town itself - which is perfectly fine but probably not something to cross half the world for.)
    I used to use Darlo station a lot. Always bad on a Thursday when the farmers auction was on and the road leading up to the station was rammed full of pickups towing cattle trailers. Cow piss running down the road.

If they want a nice site for the new campus, flatten the auction site and move them out of town. Creates a nice square space literally across the road from the station.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

I was a bit ageist there wasn't I? Huge apologies. Being 47 myself I am in something of a no-mans-land at the moment and I think the jealousy is getting to me.
  • Options

Floater said:

Look at people like Rochdale and kinabalu brushing this off as much ado about nothing and they're interested in politics.
    See also the, not entirely unreasonable, view proferred by NickPalmer that it is all a bit technical and 'they're all at it' to sink home with most people. Given political realities, it's tough for a leader with support on their side to be taken down by externals.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.

Fingerprints are a convenient alternative to that and were previously there with the PIN.

So if fingerprints have been removed and replaced with faces during a pandemic where everyone is wearing masks then yes that is bloody stupid.

Glad I can still use my own fingerprint.

EDIT: Oops quoted wrong post.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

It's burning like Chernobyl a few miles west of myself:

Maltby West & Hellaby
    Seven days to 25 February 2021
    Total cases
    The rate has increased relative to the previous week.
    21 (131.2%)
    Rolling rate

Wonder what caused that ?
    If you're taking this from the Zoe app I tend to find it doesn't work quite as well at local level. It's good for finding national trends but my area, Ashford, swung like a pendulum for a while.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Or perhaps that there is no clear message to put across. To maintain (my) spirits I will add one word to this. Yet.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    Cookie said:

eek said:

A shipmate once told me that "Darlo" has a rough as fuck day shift of pros in the market to service the gap toothed yokels who come in from the farms on a Monday lunchtime.

I filed that HUMINT away in my brain for 25 years against the day when it would have salience. That day is today.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    So much for the idea of Salmond letting things go. He's going to absolutely nail Sturgeon.
    Yes. I'll be surprised if he can actually take her down - too many people want what she's selling, for now - but it's tough to run a marathon with a Rottweiler clamped to your calf.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,141
    DougSeal said:
    Who are these fools that answer "too fast"??
  • Options

Roger said:

God help her.
    You're suggesting Rogerdamus has spoken ?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

That’s because the Labour Party does not HAVE a simple political message to put across
    That is not what gravitas is at all. Gravitas is speaking and presenting yourself while exuding confidence and authority. Much as I detest the SNP I would say that Sturgeon meets this test. Dodds does not. I would also say that Johnson lacks gravitas because he looks like and behaves like a buffoon. Margaret Thatcher had loads of gravitas, John Major less so. I always thought that Blair initially came across as a lightweight, but grew into it. Gordon Brown was annoying but had plenty of gravitas. Yvette Cooper has gravitas. Obama has loads. It has nothing to do with gender, class colour or creed. People either have it or they lack it, though some can gain it with time.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.

It's not shared at all on an Apple device, being stored only locally.
    Indeed but, as I say, in principle it very easily could be.
  • Options
    Just to pose a question

Sturgeon says she does not know who told Salmond about the identity of the complainant and that if the person is identified and affirms he told Sturgeon, has she not committed purgery to this committee and has she also possibly committed a criminal act
  • Options

Off topic, but demonstrates how good the Sunak machine is:

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1367061740052242436

That would make him being sacked in the reshuffle even funnier.
  • Options

Leon said:

Roger said:

Point of order, until I left Twitter I couldn’t escape Murdo bloody Fraser as he gets retweeted a lot as if he’s some sort of genius.
    Just so.
    Odd that people getting squeamish about Yousaf’s tweets were indifferent to Fraser et al virtually live tweeting their opinions of their committee’s daily doings, amplified by newspaper opinion pieces and tv & radio sound bites.

*not odd
  • Options
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,141
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    Very good move. £45 is stupidly low and just wastes time in shops.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

See also the, not entirely unreasonable, view proferred by NickPalmer that it is all a bit technical and 'they're all at it' to sink home with most people. Given political realities, it's tough for a leader with support on their side to be taken down by externals.
    Absolutely.
    I can't see this having a rapid effect. It could become a slow burn disaster, or just remain a faint bad smell.
  • Options

DougSeal said:
    Contrarians (but not contrarian).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,732
    Cookie said:

eek said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0ay9u1gg4
  • Options
    Why'd he wait till now? Seems like raising that earlier, given how long processes take, might have opened up some avenues.
  • Options
  • Options

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    Yup, the £100 limit is a good idea. Covers a lot more weekly shops.
  • Options

DougSeal said:
    Borderline anti-vaxxers.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

DougSeal said:
    They are the ones who haven't had the microchip implanted yet.
  • Options

DougSeal said:
    People worried that they have been delveloped too fast?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

That is not what gravitas is at all. Gravitas is speaking and presenting yourself while exuding confidence and authority. Much as I detest the SNP I would say that Sturgeon meets this test. Dodds does not. I would also say that Johnson lacks gravitas because he looks like and behaves like a buffoon. Margaret Thatcher had loads of gravitas, John Major less so. I always thought that Blair initially came across as a lightweight, but grew into it. Gordon Brown was annoying but had plenty of gravitas. Yvette Cooper has gravitas. Obama has loads. It has nothing to do with gender, class colour or creed. People either have it or they lack it, though some can gain it with time.
    You hate Boris and are a terrible judge of character, he has it despite his clownish persona for the simple fact that when he speaks people stop and listen.

Yes he has tussled hair and he looks like a clown sometimes but he can hold an audience better than almost anyone. At the Party Conferences I've been to you could hear a pin drop while he was speaking. He looks silly but he can grasp and hold everyone's attention - he has plenty of gravitas it is just unconventional.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

Leon said:

Roger said:

Just so.
    Odd that people getting squeamish about Yousaf’s tweets were indifferent to Fraser et al virtually live tweeting their opinions of their committee’s daily doings, amplified by newspaper opinion pieces and tv & radio sound bites.

*not odd
    FWIW, I don't think anyone involved with this should be giving any comment. Whether or not Yousaf can be considered involved is questionable, but I'd suggest the safest thing would be to keep quiet.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Tories are bad is a simple political message with plenty of relevance. It's just not got as much traction as it might right now.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    It may be a composite of images of them taken separately. Would help explain why it looks so weird.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    edited March 2021
    Anyone switching to PMQs?

Edit - not SKY News:

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1367082774213980166?s=20
  • Options

Anyone switching to PMQs?

No but will listen to Rishi
  • Options

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    It’s also astonishing that the previous limit was imposed by the European Commission. It’s this kind of stuff that irritated the fuck out of many eurosceptics. A small but constant detail of daily life that should clearly be the remit of national law, not EU directive and diktat
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Don't mind them, the remainers are watching their revenge against brexit fall apart on screen.
    I can't speak for all "remainers", but I certainly have no desire to see the breakup of the UK as "revenge". That would be very stupid, even more stupid than believing in Brexit. That particular risk (which is not particularly diminished btw) is one of the reasons why I opposed Brexit, along with loads of other reasons. One top reason is that Putin wishes to see the break up of UK and cheered on Brexit. Without any other reasons, that is in itself a good enough reason to think both ideas are not in the best interests of the population of these islands.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    edited March 2021
    What is the guy halfway down, who appears to be sitting, sitting on?

Or does he have epic balance and thigh muscles?

(I'm wondering whether it's all photoshopped and can't decide if that would be more or less weird than actually getting them all to pose like that)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,200
    kle4 said:

Why'd he wait till now? Seems like raising that earlier, given how long processes take, might have opened up some avenues.

He did it as soon as Nippy denied under oath that it happened (probably)
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    I dislike and distrust Salmond just as much as I have done for the past ten years, but I will admit to being suddenly grateful for his apparent willingness to torpedo his own political movement to settle a personal score.

Also, this is the funniest thing I've seen in ages, so there's that as well.
    It's certainly a blast for anyone with a strong aversion to Sindy. That's understandable. As is the blatant bias in the commentary from such individuals.
    I do wonder at your seemingly absolute conviction that your view of this is totally fair and balanced, while ours isn't because we're being unduly influenced by our preconceived notions of what we want to be true and to happen.
    Ah no. All fair-minded people realize that I'm objective to a fault but I am not a desiccated coconut on this. I like and trust Sturgeon, am ill disposed towards Salmon based on his known conduct with women and one or two other things, support Sindy and see this making it less likely in the near term. So I'm biased. Just less so than many of those on the other side.
    Salmon a bit too pink for your liking? ;)

I'm sure we'd all like to think we're more objective than average, but it does sound a bit Dunning-Kruger to me. More or less by definition, we can't see the extent of our own biases, so how do we know if we've adjusted appropriately for them or not? I just assume we're all equally biased and make my own mind up.

What's interesting to me here is the extent to which the specific Salmond fans within the independence movement are falling over themselves to paint Sturgeon as a monster. Now that's bias for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

They're being guided by "Red Wall" focus groups of people who voted Tory last time. Hmm, I know.

My fear is, come the next election they'll have become so anodyne that people like you will sit down to the results show and not be the slightest bit worried that if they win they will change the country in ways you absolutely hate the sound of.
  • Options
    PMQs - absurd fucking question from the MP for Liverpool Riverside about the historic forced repatriation of Chinese sailors. Everything that is wrong with the Labour Party that she thinks on budget day that her constituents give a rat fuck about such a thing.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

I can't speak for all "remainers", but I certainly have no desire to see the breakup of the UK as "revenge". That would be very stupid, even more stupid than believing in Brexit. That particular risk (which is not particularly diminished btw) is one of the reasons why I opposed Brexit, along with loads of other reasons. One top reason is that Putin wishes to see the break up of UK and cheered on Brexit. Without any other reasons, that is in itself a good enough reason to think both ideas are not in the best interests of the population of these islands.
    That's what separates you from the rest of them, Nige and why we're probably on the same side now though neither of us really want to admit it.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,200
    Leon said:

It’s also astonishing that the previous limit was imposed by the European Commission. It’s this kind of stuff that irritated the fuck out of many eurosceptics. A small but constant detail of daily life that should clearly be the remit of national law, not EU directive and diktat

Rampant fraud is a small price to pay (sic) for English exceptionalism...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    Given the rate other countries are vaccinating at, hardly surprising:

https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/1367082724218068992?s=20
  • Options
    Selebian said:

It's a shooting stick, surely? His spaniel has just gone off to collect a downed pheasant....
  • Options
    Selebian said:

There's a shadow under, I think, John Glen, but why bring one? And the guy at the very bottom appears to have something really weird going on with his legs - it looks like his right leg is out straight on the bottom step, but his left is bent out way more than it seems like it should be when it is just placed on the next step up.

And Rishi is giving me Slenderman vibes.

Is this and that coke video part of making his brand a bit less slick on purpose?
This discussion has been closed.