Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Sturgeon going to survive? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    edited March 2021
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Such arcane nonsense! Either Nicola is a genius or those lining up against her are hopeless. I'd go so far as to say her standing will have been improved after this morning's showing.

She has framed her defense in such a way that misogynists line up behind Alex and those who think women aren't playthings for his edification line up behind her.

It's a convincing and persuasive position and the only cut through from this morning's questions. Who cares who said what to who on March 29th? The public will make up their own minds who are the goodies and baddies.

Incidentally If Murdo McLeod is the brightest tool in the Unionist box then God help Unionism!

Murdo FRASER. Jesus you’re an idiot.
    Three cheers for the PB Scotch experts who hadn’t a clue who Murdo or Big Jackie were a couple of months ago.
    Point of order, until I left Twitter I couldn’t escape Murdo bloody Fraser as he gets retweeted a lot as if he’s some sort of genius.
    Just so.
    Odd that people getting squeamish about Yousaf’s tweets were indifferent to Fraser et al virtually live tweeting their opinions of their committee’s daily doings, amplified by newspaper opinion pieces and tv & radio sound bites.

*not odd
    FWIW, I don't think anyone involved with this should be giving any comment. Whether or not Yousaf can be considered involved is questionable, but I'd suggest the safest thing would be to keep quiet.
    Isn't Yousaf the Justice Minister?

Perfectly alright for him to give live opinions during testimony being delivered on oath about a scandal involving his party and cabinet colleagues?

Righty-ho.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

PMQs - absurd fucking question from the MP for Liverpool Riverside about the historic forced repatriation of Chinese sailors. Everything that is wrong with the Labour Party that she thinks on budget day that her constituents give a rat fuck about such a thing.

Starmer following up with a single line of “forensic” questioning about selling arms to Saudi and aid to Yemen. He’s not even trying anymore is he this bloke.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:
    That will bring a huge number of weekly food shopping bills within contactless.

Current limit is £45.
    Very good move. £45 is stupidly low and just wastes time in shops.
    It’s also astonishing that the previous limit was imposed by the European Commission. It’s this kind of stuff that irritated the fuck out of many eurosceptics. A small but constant detail of daily life that should clearly be the remit of national law, not EU directive and diktat
    Wait, what? I'm as much against rule by Eurocrat as the next right (both senses of the word) thinking Briton, but this was new tech that could easily have resulted in fraud/theft on a sizeable scale, from a number of avenues. Imposing a limit until we'd established the likely risks seems eminently sensible, and relaxing those limits during the pandemic to reduce transmission risk also sensible. It's not as though entering your PIN for a £50-100 transaction is particularly onerous or will take up much time in the average person's day.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Cookie said:

eek said:

It's 2 hours to Kings Cross - why would you take the hassle of getting to Heathrow..
    See, this is why people take a dislike to Londonders.

Has Stephen Bush ever been to Darlington? I can't imagine he has. I expect he is assuming 'depressing northern small town'. Actually, it's quite nice; the town centre is attractive, there are some pleasant suburbs. Not an exciting town, but certainly not a 'thank god I don't live here' place. And the countryside around there is gorgeous.

I obscurely remember back in 1997 there was some far eastern nation (Japan? China? Thailand?) promoting holidays to Darlington. (For the countryside, rather than the town itself - which is perfectly fine but probably not something to cross half the world for.)
    Have he and the dim Roger ever been seen in the same room together?
  • Options

PMQs - absurd fucking question from the MP for Liverpool Riverside about the historic forced repatriation of Chinese sailors. Everything that is wrong with the Labour Party that she thinks on budget day that her constituents give a rat fuck about such a thing.

3 questions on Yemen? Really?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Starmer following up with a single line of “forensic” questioning about selling arms to Saudi and aid to Yemen. He’s not even trying anymore is he this bloke.
    That does indicate everything that is wrong with Labour
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

As I said its going to be Nixonesque.. at least Nixon did not have a very annoying voice.

The ghastly mixture of Scottish and woman?
    There is absolutely nothing ghastly about my dear Scots wife
    Take it up with others, BigG. They seem to think Sturgeon has an annoying voice. Probably the same people who find that Anneliese Dodds "lacks gravitas" and "gets on their nerves."
    Are you implying that Anneliese Dodds HAS gravitas?
    No strong opinion on her as yet. But "gravitas" is very often code for "entitled chap who is used to holding forth and I am used to listening to". Don't kid yourself otherwise.
    Gravitas isn't the problem.
    It's her inability to put across a simple political message.
    That’s because the Labour Party does not HAVE a simple political message to put across
    That is not what gravitas is at all. Gravitas is speaking and presenting yourself while exuding confidence and authority. Much as I detest the SNP I would say that Sturgeon meets this test. Dodds does not. I would also say that Johnson lacks gravitas because he looks like and behaves like a buffoon. Margaret Thatcher had loads of gravitas, John Major less so. I always thought that Blair initially came across as a lightweight, but grew into it. Gordon Brown was annoying but had plenty of gravitas. Yvette Cooper has gravitas. Obama has loads. It has nothing to do with gender, class colour or creed. People either have it or they lack it, though some can gain it with time.
    You hate Boris and are a terrible judge of character, he has it despite his clownish persona for the simple fact that when he speaks people stop and listen.

Yes he has tussled hair and he looks like a clown sometimes but he can hold an audience better than almost anyone. At the Party Conferences I've been to you could hear a pin drop while he was speaking. He looks silly but he can grasp and hold everyone's attention - he has plenty of gravitas it is just unconventional.
    So speaks someone who is a 24/7 keyboard warrior, so surely you must have greater abilities than I do at judging character? You really do crack me up Philip.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Such arcane nonsense! Either Nicola is a genius or those lining up against her are hopeless. I'd go so far as to say her standing will have been improved after this morning's showing.

She has framed her defense in such a way that misogynists line up behind Alex and those who think women aren't playthings for his edification line up behind her.

It's a convincing and persuasive position and the only cut through from this morning's questions. Who cares who said what to who on March 29th? The public will make up their own minds who are the goodies and baddies.

Incidentally If Murdo McLeod is the brightest tool in the Unionist box then God help Unionism!

That's possible but my bigger problem is that I'm multi-tasking. I'm quite jealous of those who have the time to post on here all day
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

What I don't get is the stuff about Salmond is "deeply personal to me", and yet she hears rumours about him but is deeply incurious about taking it further. Doesn't stack up.

You just keep on with that thinking, Mark.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Now onto question 4 on Yemen. Had Corbyn used Budget Day PMQs to go heavily on evil Britain in Yemen then I could understand it. Starmer?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,550
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

As I said its going to be Nixonesque.. at least Nixon did not have a very annoying voice.

Take it up with others, BigG. They seem to think Sturgeon has an annoying voice. Probably the same people who find that Anneliese Dodds "lacks gravitas" and "gets on their nerves."
    No strong opinion on her as yet. But "gravitas" is very often code for "entitled chap who is used to holding forth and I am used to listening to". Don't kid yourself otherwise.
    That’s because the Labour Party does not HAVE a simple political message to put across
    They're being guided by "Red Wall" focus groups of people who voted Tory last time. Hmm, I know.

My fear is, come the next election they'll have become so anodyne that people like you will sit down to the results show and not be the slightest bit worried that if they win they will change the country in ways you absolutely hate the sound of.
    Already am. Starmer is a centrist dad. He won’t frighten any horses. He’s a bit Woke for my tastes but even there he’s improving, with his new love for the Union Jack

My only real worry if he won is that he’d bore me to death
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,550
    Endillion said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:
    That will bring a huge number of weekly food shopping bills within contactless.

Current limit is £45.
    Very good move. £45 is stupidly low and just wastes time in shops.
    It’s also astonishing that the previous limit was imposed by the European Commission. It’s this kind of stuff that irritated the fuck out of many eurosceptics. A small but constant detail of daily life that should clearly be the remit of national law, not EU directive and diktat
    Wait, what? I'm as much against rule by Eurocrat as the next right (both senses of the word) thinking Briton, but this was new tech that could easily have resulted in fraud/theft on a sizeable scale, from a number of avenues. Imposing a limit until we'd established the likely risks seems eminently sensible, and relaxing those limits during the pandemic to reduce transmission risk also sensible. It's not as though entering your PIN for a £50-100 transaction is particularly onerous or will take up much time in the average person's day.
    Sure. But let national governments decide. You know: The ones we elect.
  • Options
    Jesus - Shagger pointing out that Starmer isn't raising "the issues of the hour" but instead is banging on about Yemen.

Nice dig from Mr Speaker after Boris refers to the budget - "I think we already know most of it"
  • Options

moonshine said:

Now onto question 4 on Yemen. Had Corbyn used Budget Day PMQs to go heavily on evil Britain in Yemen then I could understand it. Starmer?
    Now the SNP waistcoat guy is doing the same.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

What I don't get is the stuff about Salmond is "deeply personal to me", and yet she hears rumours about him but is deeply incurious about taking it further. Doesn't stack up.

You just keep on with that thinking, Mark.
    What do you think is going on?

On reflection, I wonder whether this was no more than a knee-jerk reaction to allegations in the atmosphere of the "me too" narrative. I don`t blame Salmond for being furious and trying to repair his damaged reputation.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Re starmer @ pmqs

It’s irrelevant & labour know it.

May as well go on yemen or whatever else, because in 20 mins it’ll be forgotten.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,280

Leon said:

Roger said:

Three cheers for the PB Scotch experts who hadn’t a clue who Murdo or Big Jackie were a couple of months ago.
    Point of order, until I left Twitter I couldn’t escape Murdo bloody Fraser as he gets retweeted a lot as if he’s some sort of genius.
    Just so.
    Odd that people getting squeamish about Yousaf’s tweets were indifferent to Fraser et al virtually live tweeting their opinions of their committee’s daily doings, amplified by newspaper opinion pieces and tv & radio sound bites.

*not odd
    True but Yousaf is the Cabinet Secretary for Justice. And a theme of all this is the organs of Government being suborned. It's not a good look and a lapse of judgement on his part.
    And squawks of outrage might be taken seriously if the squawkers had taken advantage of the multiple previous opportunities to show some principles on the subject. As it is...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Zoe is going to start to be massively skewed by the fact the vaccinated oldsters don't use apps.

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1367066782146703363

Still quite a few around Colchester. Posted by a vaccinated oldster!
    I was a bit ageist there wasn't I? Huge apologies. Being 47 myself I am in something of a no-mans-land at the moment and I think the jealousy is getting to me.
    No worries. Remember what you mean about late 40's. Not a good time for me, then I had a major career change at 52 and it worked out very well indeed!
  • Options
    edited March 2021

moonshine said:

IT DOESNT MATTER

The only story in town is that the economy is fked.

Starmer may as well sing lullaby’s. nobody is paying any attention.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Zoe is going to start to be massively skewed by the fact the vaccinated oldsters don't use apps.

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1367066782146703363

Still quite a few around Colchester. Posted by a vaccinated oldster!
    I was a bit ageist there wasn't I? Huge apologies. Being 47 myself I am in something of a no-mans-land at the moment and I think the jealousy is getting to me.
    No worries. Remember what you mean about late 40's. Not a good time for me, then I had a major career change at 52 and it worked out very well indeed!
    Thanks! I am moving accross the pond with my good lady sometime in 2022 or 2023 so that is reassuring to know!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Floater said:

I remember when people thought Sturgeon was a politician at the top of her game

And then I watch her performance today.....

Problem is very few people are going to be watching her performance.

Look at people like Rochdale and kinabalu brushing this off as much ado about nothing and they're interested in politics.

malcolmg seems to be the only Scottish Nationalist or lefty (I don't think he's actually left?) that seems to view this as extremely serious. Apologies for any others that do that I've missed.

She looks guilty as sin but I think she'll get away with it because of partisan politics.
    I think @malcolmg is a Thatcherite but his desire for independence trumps that
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062

Jesus - Shagger pointing out that Starmer isn't raising "the issues of the hour" but instead is banging on about Yemen.

Nice dig from Mr Speaker after Boris refers to the budget - "I think we already know most of it"

I don't like that. PM is there to answer the questions put to him whether he thinks they are the right ones or not.
  • Options

Isn't the starvation and murder of children aided and abetted by the British Government an 'issue of the day'?
  • Options
    ping said:

moonshine said:

IT DOESNT MATTER
    This is all that’s wrong with the format (and the LOTO) though. What’s the point of it at all? If you gave any of us the chance to ask any 6 questions of a world leader every week, we wouldn’t be so anodyne.
  • Options

Isn't the starvation and murder of children aided and abetted by the British Government an 'issue of the day'?
    Not if you are leader of the opposition and it is Budget day. And frankly, not if you are a typical voter.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    edited March 2021
    UK still greatest daily total in absolute terms, but middling on per-capita:

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

• Options
    Leon said:

That all started pretty well for Sturgeon, but it’s got increasingly stickier since

Did you mean Salmond?

*mind bleach*
  • Options

Not if you are leader of the opposition and it is Budget day. And frankly, not if you are a typical voter.
    I thought better of you Mr P.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Things are cheaper outside London?

😁
  • Options

But it is the reality
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

He's right.

There's a time and a place. Parliament is the right place, but Budget day is not that time.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

That is not what gravitas is at all. Gravitas is speaking and presenting yourself while exuding confidence and authority. Much as I detest the SNP I would say that Sturgeon meets this test. Dodds does not. I would also say that Johnson lacks gravitas because he looks like and behaves like a buffoon. Margaret Thatcher had loads of gravitas, John Major less so. I always thought that Blair initially came across as a lightweight, but grew into it. Gordon Brown was annoying but had plenty of gravitas. Yvette Cooper has gravitas. Obama has loads. It has nothing to do with gender, class colour or creed. People either have it or they lack it, though some can gain it with time.
    You hate Boris and are a terrible judge of character, he has it despite his clownish persona for the simple fact that when he speaks people stop and listen.

Yes he has tussled hair and he looks like a clown sometimes but he can hold an audience better than almost anyone. At the Party Conferences I've been to you could hear a pin drop while he was speaking. He looks silly but he can grasp and hold everyone's attention - he has plenty of gravitas it is just unconventional.
    So speaks someone who is a 24/7 keyboard warrior, so surely you must have greater abilities than I do at judging character? You really do crack me up Philip.
    Yes I do.

I expect almost anyone neutral will agree that when Boris speaks people stop and listen, even if he looks like a buffoon, which I agree he does.

Why do you think Cameron was so upset when Boris backed Leave. He knew.
  • Options

Its an important issue and its completely wrong that the British arms industry is profiting from the wholesale slaughter of Yemenis.

With respect though, this issue is not time specific. The budget is. Raise Yemen next week. Or last year. Or next year. Don't do it today. Politically it makes Labour look out of touch with normals who don't care about that issue.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,088

Animal_pb said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Look at people like Rochdale and kinabalu brushing this off as much ado about nothing and they're interested in politics.

malcolmg seems to be the only Scottish Nationalist or lefty (I don't think he's actually left?) that seems to view this as extremely serious. Apologies for any others that do that I've missed.

She looks guilty as sin but I think she'll get away with it because of partisan politics.
    She’s badly wounded tho.
    I think that's the point. She won't go, unless she chooses to fall on her sword herself.

I wouldn't put money on her going right now. But I would put money on her never leading the Referendum, whenever it comes.
    Very good point. She's too damaged. There will need to be a change at the top and it is very unclear who the successor could be. "Honest John" Swinney has suffered collateral damage and Forbes and Robertson are hardly compelling - certainly compared to Sturgeon or Salmond. Can't think of anybody else. Maybe Malc should step up to the plate?
    Blackford - then global warming will accelerate with all the hot air.
    I would like all the dross removed and Duncan Hamilton to come back. Not sure that is likely though given his legal career nowadays.
  • Options
    Screws being tightened

Alex Salmond’s office has just issued a statement saying he has lodged a formal complaint with the Scottish government’s top civil servant about the official who has been accused of (and has denied) disclosing the name of a complainer to Mr Salmond’s former chief of staff
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

He's right.

There's a time and a place. Parliament is the right place, but Budget day is not that time.
    Have you forgotten that Sir Keir's big performance on the Budget - often said to be the most difficult one in British politics - comes later today?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

They're being guided by "Red Wall" focus groups of people who voted Tory last time. Hmm, I know.

My fear is, come the next election they'll have become so anodyne that people like you will sit down to the results show and not be the slightest bit worried that if they win they will change the country in ways you absolutely hate the sound of.
    Ah, that's the dream: Blair only won because no one was afraid of what would happen if he won. The Labour Party can win only if its activists lose.
  • Options

He's right.

Have you forgotten that Sir Keir's big performance on the Budget - often said to be the most difficult one in British politics - comes later today?
    Everyone’s at home. Lots of people who never watch pmq’s might have it on the background while they make a cuppa and wait for the budget. I did. My mrs shouted out from the kitchen, why are they all talking about Yemen so much? It subliminally feeds into the public picture of Starmer being tedious and out of touch.
  • Options
    Hhheeee’’’sss tttttaaaallllkkkiinnnnggg sssooo ssssslllooowwwwllllyyyyy
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    She says her general awareness and suspicion became specific knowledge when presented with specific allegations. Whether true or not, this is a perfectly possible evolution of a situation.
    You are a very generous soul....
    Also an observant one. And I notice much sudden love for (and trust in) Alex Salmond amongst English enemies of Sindy on the right of politics.
    I dislike and distrust Salmond just as much as I have done for the past ten years, but I will admit to being suddenly grateful for his apparent willingness to torpedo his own political movement to settle a personal score.

Also, this is the funniest thing I've seen in ages, so there's that as well.
    It's certainly a blast for anyone with a strong aversion to Sindy. That's understandable. As is the blatant bias in the commentary from such individuals.
    I do wonder at your seemingly absolute conviction that your view of this is totally fair and balanced, while ours isn't because we're being unduly influenced by our preconceived notions of what we want to be true and to happen.
    Ah no. All fair-minded people realize that I'm objective to a fault but I am not a desiccated coconut on this. I like and trust Sturgeon, am ill disposed towards Salmon based on his known conduct with women and one or two other things, support Sindy and see this making it less likely in the near term. So I'm biased. Just less so than many of those on the other side.
    Salmon a bit too pink for your liking? ;)

I'm sure we'd all like to think we're more objective than average, but it does sound a bit Dunning-Kruger to me. More or less by definition, we can't see the extent of our own biases, so how do we know if we've adjusted appropriately for them or not? I just assume we're all equally biased and make my own mind up.

What's interesting to me here is the extent to which the specific Salmond fans within the independence movement are falling over themselves to paint Sturgeon as a monster. Now that's bias for you.
    No, we're not all equally biased. And of those with equal bias it's still not equal since some make more effort to adjust for it than others. Best thing is to go by what people post.

Your last para, yes that is interesting. If our @malcolmg is a guide it's because they think Sturgeon is all about being FM and not truly up for Sindy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why'd he wait till now? Seems like raising that earlier, given how long processes take, might have opened up some avenues.
    giving them time to completely hang themselves, it will be someone very close to Sturgeon and she has denied knowing anything about it.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589

Its an important issue and its completely wrong that the British arms industry is profiting from the wholesale slaughter of Yemenis.

With respect though, this issue is not time specific. The budget is. Raise Yemen next week. Or last year. Or next year. Don't do it today. Politically it makes Labour look out of touch with normals who don't care about that issue.
    So politicians shouldn't raise issues that 'normals' don't care about? Quite a Trumpian view, I think. It would be a sad day if politicians only engaged with issues that got traction with voters. And why would Starmer ask about the budget before he's heard it?

As it happens, Yemen/Saudi is very important even if 'normals' aren't interested. And it's potentially fertile ground: quite a lot of Tory MPs are very uncomfortable about the aid cuts to Yemen. Andrew Mitchell was furious about it.
  • Options

Leon said:

Roger said:

Just so.

*not odd
    True but Yousaf is the Cabinet Secretary for Justice. And a theme of all this is the organs of Government being suborned. It's not a good look and a lapse of judgement on his part.
    Yousaf must be the most over promoted donkey in the UK.
  • Options

So politicians shouldn't raise issues that 'normals' don't care about? Quite a Trumpian view, I think. It would be a sad day if politicians only engaged with issues that got traction with voters. And why would Starmer ask about the budget before he's heard it?

As it happens, Yemen/Saudi is very important even if 'normals' aren't interested. And it's potentially fertile ground: quite a lot of Tory MPs are very uncomfortable about the aid cuts to Yemen. Andrew Mitchell was furious about it.
    I said he shouldn't engage on it *today*. "Raise Yemen next week. Or last year. Or next year."
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Charles said:

Floater said:

I think @malcolmg is a Thatcherite but his desire for independence trumps that
    You have to be kidding I don't have a swinging brick for a heart. I am centre right but nowhere near Attila the Hun. @Charles
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    ping said:

Re starmer @ pmqs

It’s irrelevant & labour know it.

May as well go on yemen or whatever else, because in 20 mins it’ll be forgotten.

No-one in their senses would waste effort on PMQs when a) the budget is coming up and b) there's a three-ring circus in progress in another place. At least it shows Sir Keir has some common sense.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800

Whoa, blistering attack on Salmond. Interesting approach..

To be honest he was found not proven and I was very uneasy at some of the things she said
    On the one charge where he admitted some inappropriate behaviour had taken place - and noted it had been dealt with at the time.#

All the other verdicts were not guilty by majority verdict, so at least 8 to 5 jurors in his favour
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Roger said:

Who is Murdo McLeod
    He is the person partnering with the woman who now leads Labour that Roger spoke about.
    Ex Celtic midfielder Murdo McLeod is a public SCon supporter, so easy mistake to make. Probably be better at the politicking than Murdo F. would be at the soccerballing.
    What about the snooker player?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Don't mind them, the remainers are watching their revenge against brexit fall apart on screen.
    I can't speak for all "remainers", but I certainly have no desire to see the breakup of the UK as "revenge". That would be very stupid, even more stupid than believing in Brexit. That particular risk (which is not particularly diminished btw) is one of the reasons why I opposed Brexit, along with loads of other reasons. One top reason is that Putin wishes to see the break up of UK and cheered on Brexit. Without any other reasons, that is in itself a good enough reason to think both ideas are not in the best interests of the population of these islands.
    Careful, or you'll bring all the Brexiteers out again raging about how the west needs to unite against the threat of China.

And then the world will run out of irony.
This discussion has been closed.