Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Sturgeon going to survive? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

As I said its going to be Nixonesque.. at least Nixon did not have a very annoying voice.

The ghastly mixture of Scottish and woman?
    There is absolutely nothing ghastly about my dear Scots wife
    Take it up with others, BigG. They seem to think Sturgeon has an annoying voice. Probably the same people who find that Anneliese Dodds "lacks gravitas" and "gets on their nerves."
    Anneliese Dodds is simply useless!
    We can safely say she`s not captured the public`s imagination, I agree, but this is unfair. She`s very bright and intelligence should count highly IMO.
    She doesn't come over as having a grasp on her brief. I don't like McDonnell but he was able to articulate a clear and cogent view, even if I didn't agree with much of it.

It's a weakness shared by much of the LAB front bench. Angela Rayner, Kate Green - really? And all led by a totally uninspiring leader who provides no vision or direction whatsoever.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Stocky said:

Just browsing some self-catering cottages online for a holiday in late June. There truly are some sublimely beautiful places in Devon.

We are so lucky to live on such a blessed plot.

Which website are you looking at?
    I would be interested in that info too
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,663

Leon said:

Baillie is 10 times better than any of the others. She nailed Sturgeon there - if that’s an appropriate term.

Deeply uncomfortable

Pity she is not to lead Scots labour
    Sawar has appointed her Deputy Leader & Health Spokesperson - so she's going to be on the SNP's case going forward.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,972
    LOL. Safe-breaking and the national debt!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

Oooh. Bullseye

I got so bored of the waffle I’m back on D+. Was there a clear sound byte for social media and news bulletins? If not, no bullseye.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Just browsing some self-catering cottages online for a holiday in late June. There truly are some sublimely beautiful places in Devon.

Check the Pembrokeshire coast as well, we've got a holiday booked there for just myself and my wife. Will be nice to get out of London for a bit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117
    edited March 2021

I am even luckier - I live here full time in one of the most beautiful parts of Devon.

If you come down here, please do drop by!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't see this torpedoing independence. Fundamentally that's a question of identity. And the politics of identity is extremely resilient to individual behaviour, see Trump in the USA for a recent example.

I think that's right. The only thing is if some of the swing voters get the sense that an independent Scotland may be corrupt. That said, they are already independent in the realm of law so perhaps it doesn't matter all that much.
    That's the point. Loyalists will stick to their team (see here, passim ad nauseam) and swing voters will have priced in "they're politicians, they'll be a bit dodgy" already. The Iraq process didn't do for Blair- even the failure of the policy only dented him.

Every politician has known the joy of thinking "YES. We've really got them this time..." followed by the deflation of realising that it rarely works like that- especially for process stories.

Basically, this is a bubble story. As someone (you know, thingy. Scruffy version of the Mekon. Brexit and slogans. Made up stuff about testing his eyes. Was rude about Carrie so he had to go.) used to put it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

As I said its going to be Nixonesque.. at least Nixon did not have a very annoying voice.

Take it up with others, BigG. They seem to think Sturgeon has an annoying voice. Probably the same people who find that Anneliese Dodds "lacks gravitas" and "gets on their nerves."
    Anneliese Dodds is simply useless!
    We can safely say she`s not captured the public`s imagination, I agree, but this is unfair. She`s very bright and intelligence should count highly IMO.
    She would have made an excellent shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury.
    She hasn't grown into the post of Shadow Chancellor at all.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Floater said:

I remember when people thought Sturgeon was a politician at the top of her game

And then I watch her performance today.....

Problem is very few people are going to be watching her performance.

Look at people like Rochdale and kinabalu brushing this off as much ado about nothing and they're interested in politics.

malcolmg seems to be the only Scottish Nationalist or lefty (I don't think he's actually left?) that seems to view this as extremely serious. Apologies for any others that do that I've missed.

She looks guilty as sin but I think she'll get away with it because of partisan politics.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

DougSeal said:
    Remarkable that the UK has the lowest proportion saying the vaccine rollout is going too fast.

A sign of us not having many antivaxxers now?
    We have a flu vaccination campaign every autumn and (those of my generation anyway) will remember getting a BCG vaccination as a matter of course. I rememeber I missed mine because I was sick from school that day and was petrified that I was going to die from some horrible disease in years to come. As it turned out the nurse came back two weeks later to mop up stragglers.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    geoffw said:

Personally I have stuck £50 in her seeing this out. Either the SNP loses one of its most effective communicators, or I win enough for a decent bottle of whiskey.

Enjoy your whiskey.
    Irish of course.

Personally I have stuck £50 in her seeing this out. Either the SNP loses one of its most effective communicators, or I win enough for a decent bottle of whiskey.

In the circs you could at least spend it on whisky.
    Correction taken. For the record, I don't drink either. In fact I don't drink very much at all.

"Some packets of Quavers and a 72-pack of Diet Coke" just didn't have a good ring to it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    please no. But reality is that the office will need to be built which means something is going to have to be knocked down. But thankfully there are a lot of options.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,155
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Oooh. Bullseye

I got so bored of the waffle I’m back on D+. Was there a clear sound byte for social media and news bulletins? If not, no bullseye.
    Probably right. But she WAS rattled. And she possibly lied to the committee
  • Options

Floater said:

Look at people like Rochdale and kinabalu brushing this off as much ado about nothing and they're interested in politics.

malcolmg seems to be the only Scottish Nationalist or lefty (I don't think he's actually left?) that seems to view this as extremely serious. Apologies for any others that do that I've missed.

She looks guilty as sin but I think she'll get away with it because of partisan politics.
    Absolutely agree
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,972
    MaxPB said:

Check the Pembrokeshire coast as well, we've got a holiday booked there for just myself and my wife. Will be nice to get out of London for a bit.
    Just booked for the Norfolk coast in June. One of the few areas of the country I've never visited. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Strange that she is so reluctant to report a leak to the police.....
  • Options
    This is entertaining for those of us with a deep seated interest in politics but I simply can't see it shifting anything outside the four walls of the Scottish Parliament.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    DougSeal said:

While case rates in the major EU countries don't look that clever, death rates tell a slightly more encouraging story.

An uptick in cases won't show in the deaths for weeks.

The other problem is that an uptick in cases while under significant restrictions is not a good sign.
  • Options
    Perfect - they can convert the stadium!
  • Options

Floater said:

She’s badly wounded tho.
  • Options
    Just leave all the questioning to Jackie Baillie & Murdo Fraser......
  • Options
    No matter the immediate outcome this scandal will weaken Sturgeon and I do not see her in post much longer after this May elections
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    The thing about committee appearances is that they are really easy when you know you are telling the truth.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    Can’t wait for this lot to get their teeth into Nippy.

https://twitter.com/utb_smith/status/1367041833637982210?s=21
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

I didn't say that but her voice to my ear is very irritating ..
    Why though? Too strident? The accent? The pitch?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

While case rates in the major EU countries don't look that clever, death rates tell a slightly more encouraging story.

The other problem is that an uptick in cases while under significant restrictions is not a good sign.
    I'm not sure that's right? There has been an uptick in Italy to be sure, but in Germany (and to a lesser extent France) the cases look stubbornly flat.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Geoff Aberdein in the Holyrood bar, with a crowbar.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,235
    Will the SNP want Sturgeon to lead the next referendum campaign?

Who comes next?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    So I take it Eck-Gate will be Coulson Mk II - politically devastating in theory, but a story too rambling and arcane to get anyone interested in the real world.
  • Options

Floater said:

I'd be quite happy to see SNP losses and LD gains. So as I keep pointing out I don't have skin in the game. I am just calling this as I see it - there isn't remotely enough to hang Sturgeon, and the absurd vast conspiracy allegation will be laughed off by most voters.

What do we know? Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The SNP have no real opposition who can speak out on this and offer a viable alternative. The Tories are more bent than the SNP and Brexit shags them in the areas they are strongest in. Labour imploded and haven't recovered. LibDems and Greens relatively small.

As was suggested upthread, perhaps the biggest potential threat to the SNP is a Salmondist breakway movement.
  • Options

One sad revelation we have all encountered, this last year, is that we ALL look 20 years older on Zoom
  • Options

DougSeal said:

And its quite possibly B.117 but they may not know.....
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Leon said:

Floater said:

She’s badly wounded tho.
    I think that's the point. She won't go, unless she chooses to fall on her sword herself.

I wouldn't put money on her going right now. But I would put money on her never leading the Referendum, whenever it comes.
  • Options
    Murdo Fraser taking Sturgeon apart, it is embarrassing
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    eek said:

please no. But reality is that the office will need to be built which means something is going to have to be knocked down. But thankfully there are a lot of options.
    More likely to be in an office park on the edge of town than in the town centre, I imagine.
  • Options
    Regarding "who leaked the name" - wouldn't the name have been out there? We all knew the name of the MP accused of rape despite it not being public...
  • Options
    We will draw our own conclusions as to why she didn't want to get the police involved.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:
    Remarkable that the UK has the lowest proportion saying the vaccine rollout is going too fast.

We have a flu vaccination campaign every autumn and (those of my generation anyway) will remember getting a BCG vaccination as a matter of course. I remember I missed mine because I was sick from school that day and was petrified that I was going to die from some horrible disease in years to come. As it turned out the nurse came back two weeks later to mop up stragglers.
    I am - I believe with some justification - highly critical of the way in which the NHS is structured and run (though not of the basic principle of completely free at the point of delivery). I am in favour of a fundamental root and branch reform of the whole system.

But anyone looking at the evidence objectively would have to say that the existence of the NHS in its current form has had a huge and beneficial impact on our ability to both distribute vaccinations and to persuade people to actually have them. People do trust the system overall and that is massively important in something like this.

We do still need to reform the NHS, not least because year in year out, outside of the pandemic, it performs less well than almost any of its counterparts in Europe or the rest of the developed world. But that reform needs to be careful and nuanced to save what is best about the system whilst identifying and changing the parts that have failed us in the past.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

She’s badly wounded tho.
    I think that's the point. She won't go, unless she chooses to fall on her sword herself.

I wouldn't put money on her going right now. But I would put money on her never leading the Referendum, whenever it comes.
    Or - to put it another way - if Salmond is John the Baptist, she is Not The Messiah, She's A Very Naughty Girl.
  • Options
    That all started pretty well for Sturgeon, but it’s got increasingly stickier since
  • Options
    Off topic, but demonstrates how good the Sunak machine is:

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1367061740052242436
  • Options
    Leon said:

That all started pretty well for Sturgeon, but it’s got increasingly stickier since

She is dire
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Why though? Too strident? The accent? The pitch?
    Yes!
  • Options
    Lol someone coughs as the mention of measures to meet safely in person are mentioned :D
  • Options

We will draw our own conclusions as to why she didn't want to get the police involved.

Exactly
  • Options
    RobD said:

Hmm, so what do we all think about coincidences?

They are far more common in life that most instinctively think. An absence of coincidences is a sign of living a very quiet life. And even then you get a few.

Similar is differences in people's recollections of events. This is the norm and is (within reason) evidence of probable truth telling. Conversely if multiple people have exactly the same detailed memory of an event that took place a while ago, it's evidence of mendacious collusion. Or it can be.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944

Regarding "who leaked the name" - wouldn't the name have been out there? We all knew the name of the MP accused of rape despite it not being public...

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1367069546037805056
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

I'm not sure that's right? There has been an uptick in Italy to be sure, but in Germany (and to a lesser extent France) the cases look stubbornly flat.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&country=~EuropeanUnion&region=World&casesMetric=true&interval=smoothed&perCapita=true&smoothing=7&pickerMetric=new_cases_per_million&pickerSort=desc

Cases are rising slowly, in France and Germany, but that is with very significant restrictions.
  • Options

So I take it Eck-Gate will be Coulson Mk II - politically devastating in theory, but a story too rambling and arcane to get anyone interested in the real world.

That's the issue Salmond and the other parties need to fix.

Make it simple enough that people understand.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250

kinabalu said:

Which was a follow up to a comment on what she's wearing?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329
    Stocky said:

Which website are you looking at?
    Holiday Cottages, Stay in Devon, Devon Cottages etc.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

We have a flu vaccination campaign every autumn and (those of my generation anyway) will remember getting a BCG vaccination as a matter of course. I remember I missed mine because I was sick from school that day and was petrified that I was going to die from some horrible disease in years to come. As it turned out the nurse came back two weeks later to mop up stragglers.
    I am - I believe with some justification - highly critical of the way in which the NHS is structured and run (though not of the basic principle of completely free at the point of delivery). I am in favour of a fundamental root and branch reform of the whole system.

But anyone looking at the evidence objectively would have to say that the existence of the NHS in its current form has had a huge and beneficial impact on our ability to both distribute vaccinations and to persuade people to actually have them. People do trust the system overall and that is massively important in something like this.

We do still need to reform the NHS, not least because year in year out, outside of the pandemic, it performs less well than almost any of its counterparts in Europe or the rest of the developed world. But that reform needs to be careful and nuanced to save what is best about the system whilst identifying and changing the parts that have failed us in the past.
    Horses for courses. The structure of the NHS came about from it being born of the crisis of the Second World War so it is not surprising that it handles a crisis very well. In future, as this outbreak of Coronavirus disappears into the rear view mirror, its limitations will come into focus again. But not yet.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329

I am even luckier - I live here full time in one of the most beautiful parts of Devon.

I'd love that.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited March 2021
    Animal_pb said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

She’s badly wounded tho.

Salmond didn’t officially ‘lead’ the referendum last time, Sturgeon was in fact the SNP referendum leader fwiw.

Interesting to consider what part Salmond might play, but leading the Yes campaign won’t be one of the possibilities.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,996

Wall of Gammon with an Instagram filter.
  • Options

To be fair Maguire and Pierce are the political media's Ant and Dec, they always appear on together. Though making out like they hate each other and each others politics, you almost never see one without the other.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Geoff Aberdein in the Holyrood bar, with a crowbar.

CLUEDO?
  • Options

Perfect - they can convert the stadium!
    Thankfully not in the town centre which is a requirement - but it's definitely aging badly due to lack of purpose.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,441
    Animal_pb said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

She’s badly wounded tho.

Very good point. She's too damaged. There will need to be a change at the top and it is very unclear who the successor could be. "Honest John" Swinney has suffered collateral damage and Forbes and Robertson are hardly compelling - certainly compared to Sturgeon or Salmond. Can't think of anybody else. Maybe Malc should step up to the plate?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,526

eek said:

More likely to be in an office park on the edge of town than in the town centre, I imagine.
    Could be either.

Inland Revenue in Nottingham is fantastic architecture a few minutes walk from the town centre.

• Options
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    kingbongo said:

Animal_pb said:

Pro_Rata said:

I think this is the death embrace for Sturgeon, this affair will define her remaining leadership term until ultimately dragging her down.

There is simply too much for it not to.

The question for me is merely whether it drags her under quickly or slowly.

Independence, however it progresses, may act as an elephant in the room that she is glad to point out, but will not save her from this elephant sitting in its more customary corner, or the need to strew the room with a whole menagerie of dead cats and squirrels on the way as she clings on.

More importantly, perhaps, is that in the short to medium term it gives Boris all the political cover he needs to refuse the request for another referendum *even if the SNP win an overall majority* this year. Citing concerns "given recent events" over whether a referendum would be free and fair, he can now - with apparent justification - punt this into the long grass by appointing a Royal Commission on a future Scotttish referendum. He might appoint another RC to look into apparent politicisation of the Scottish Civil Service, while he's at it...
    I think this is a good point - Are there are enough Scots who will see that the Crown Office's behaviour to fatally undermine any attempt to hold a credible referendum? I think so but that's just a guess really. I have to say the chances of Denmark or Sweden voting to allow another Hungary into the EU are vanishingly small - the sense of a gently corrupt little country run by a nationalist cabal might be unfair,but from the mainland of Europe that's what it currently looks like.
    So they don't really want UK back, either?
  • Options
    I missed the start - what is this?

At the hearing today Ms Sturgeon also claimed ignorance about a total of 30 sexual harassment complaints against five SNP ministers - while continuing to claim that she first learned of the allegations against Mr Salmond at a meeting with him at her house on April 2.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1367069546037805056
    Oh sure! But I come back to who benefits from a leak? It isn't the people trying to do Salmond is it, its Salmond himself. If as alleged a senior government official was going around leaking a name that was already out there in a way that compromised their own investigation, then the fuck-up of the investigation by the government was even more egregious than I thought...
  • Options
    kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Which was a follow up to a comment on what she's wearing?
    No, it was a follow up to pointing out it all looked very Nixonesque.
  • Options
    MattW said:

eek said:

Could be either.

Inland Revenue in Nottingham is fantastic architecture a few minutes walk from the town centre.

People saying that really don't know Darlington - and remember the original plan was for an out of town office which has been vetoed.

The Town Centre has plenty of suitable places - it's just a matter of working out which eyesore provides the appropriate amount of space.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Animal_pb said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

She’s badly wounded tho.

Very good point. She's too damaged. There will need to be a change at the top and it is very unclear who the successor could be. "Honest John" Swinney has suffered collateral damage and Forbes and Robertson are hardly compelling - certainly compared to Sturgeon or Salmond. Can't think of anybody else. Maybe Malc should step up to the plate?
    Blackford - then global warming will accelerate with all the hot air.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

kingbongo said:

Animal_pb said:

Pro_Rata said:

I think this is the death embrace for Sturgeon, this affair will define her remaining leadership term until ultimately dragging her down.

There is simply too much for it not to.

The question for me is merely whether it drags her under quickly or slowly.

Independence, however it progresses, may act as an elephant in the room that she is glad to point out, but will not save her from this elephant sitting in its more customary corner, or the need to strew the room with a whole menagerie of dead cats and squirrels on the way as she clings on.

More importantly, perhaps, is that in the short to medium term it gives Boris all the political cover he needs to refuse the request for another referendum *even if the SNP win an overall majority* this year. Citing concerns "given recent events" over whether a referendum would be free and fair, he can now - with apparent justification - punt this into the long grass by appointing a Royal Commission on a future Scotttish referendum. He might appoint another RC to look into apparent politicisation of the Scottish Civil Service, while he's at it...
    I think this is a good point - Are there are enough Scots who will see that the Crown Office's behaviour to fatally undermine any attempt to hold a credible referendum? I think so but that's just a guess really. I have to say the chances of Denmark or Sweden voting to allow another Hungary into the EU are vanishingly small - the sense of a gently corrupt little country run by a nationalist cabal might be unfair,but from the mainland of Europe that's what it currently looks like.
    So they don't really want UK back, either?
    The difference is the UK government has no interest in going back.
  • Options
    Is there going to be anything left for Sunak to announce?

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1367071144948465672?s=20
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I'll be honest, I'm still not sure I could explain to someone what this is all about and I certainly couldn't argue who's right and wrong. But the behaviour of the SNP in the last couple of the weeks has been utterly appalling.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That will bring a huge number of weekly food shopping bills within contactless.

Current limit is £45.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,441

Animal_pb said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

She’s badly wounded tho.

Salmond didn’t officially ‘lead’ the referendum last time, Sturgeon was in fact the SNP referendum leader fwiw.

Interesting to consider what part Salmond might play, but leading the Yes campaign won’t be one of the possibilities.
    Salmond? Must be joking. He'll have no role at all. Likewise Sturgeon. They cancel each other out. The feuders will surely be put out to pasture, but not in adjoining fields.
  • Options
    It's 2 hours to Kings Cross - why would you take the hassle of getting to Heathrow..
  • Options

Is there going to be anything left for Sunak to announce?

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1367071144948465672?s=20

No formal Freeport leak yet - so yep.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Are you implying that Anneliese Dodds HAS gravitas?
    No strong opinion on her as yet. But "gravitas" is very often code for "entitled chap who is used to holding forth and I am used to listening to". Don't kid yourself otherwise.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Are you implying that Anneliese Dodds HAS gravitas?
    No strong opinion on her as yet. But "gravitas" is very often code for "entitled chap who is used to holding forth and I am used to listening to". Don't kid yourself otherwise.
    Mrs Thatcher had gravitas. Blair didn't.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    Worth remembering it's limitless with mobile devices. Though not many seem to know that.

I had my MOT last week which required a new suspension and other considerable repairs so not cheap at all. Bill was over £500 and I tapped my phone and it went through immediately. The mechanic was shocked it worked, he had no idea that was possible.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    Other systems have interesting limits

Sainsbury's claim that Apple Pay will work up to 10,000 pounds, in their stores...
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&country=~EuropeanUnion&region=World&casesMetric=true&interval=smoothed&perCapita=true&smoothing=7&pickerMetric=new_cases_per_million&pickerSort=desc

Cases are rising slowly, in France and Germany, but that is with very significant restrictions.
    Social distancing works, masks work, but the effect of lockdowns could depend on your demographics and population density because you are pushing large groups of people to live on top of one another which can in certain localities (such as South African townships and Indian slums) actually make things worse. The problem is there is little rhyme nor reason and for every example I come up with there is a counter example. After reading this report from South Africa I am becoming reasonably sure they are able to unlock as they are at the moment at the cost of tens of thousands of lives -

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-rips-through-south-african-townships-leaving-a-generation-facing-a-world-without-adults-12229065

at the same time...

https://www.heraldlive.co.za/lifestyle/leisure/2021-02-12-popular-zwide-venue-reopens-with-a-bang-on-valentines-day/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I don't see this torpedoing independence. Fundamentally that's a question of identity. And the politics of identity is extremely resilient to individual behaviour, see Trump in the USA for a recent example.

You could be right. But if now is the best time to go for it, and it's a 52/48 either way situation, it could mean the chance is missed and does not come back for quite some time.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

To add to your collection if you fancy something unusual - my cousin and her husband in Devon have a converted windmill holiday home - it's a series of rooms on different floors with fab views at the top. I've stayed there a couple of times and it's good fun. Not for anyone who doesn't like steep stairs though.

http://www.devonwindmills.co.uk/
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'll be honest, I'm still not sure I could explain to someone what this is all about and I certainly couldn't argue who's right and wrong. But the behaviour of the SNP in the last couple of the weeks has been utterly appalling.
    Is it much more complicated than "the ruling SNP cabal decided Salmond was persona non grata. They then (ab)used all the powers of the State to try to destroy him, including criminal prosecution, and then lied about it when they were found out"? That feels pretty simple to me.
  • Options

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    Worth remembering it's limitless with mobile devices. Though not many seem to know that.

I had my MOT last week which required a new suspension and other considerable repairs so not cheap at all. Bill was over £500 and I tapped my phone and it went through immediately. The mechanic was shocked it worked, he had no idea that was possible.
    Trouble is you have to unmask to get Face ID with an iPhone. As you try to pay
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    If Sturgeon resigns, who replaces her?
  • Options

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.
    Other systems have interesting limits

Sainsbury's claim that Apple Pay will work up to 10,000 pounds, in their stores...
    £10k is a strange artificial cap as far as I know officially there isn't a limit I thought. Officially if you had the cash or credit I think you could buy a car or even a house with Apple in theory at least.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Animal_pb said:

tlg86 said:

Is it much more complicated than "the ruling SNP cabal decided Salmond was persona non grata. They then (ab)used all the powers of the State to try to destroy him, including criminal prosecution, and then lied about it when they were found out"? That feels pretty simple to me.
    Perhaps, I was thinking more about explaining the evidence that proves that.
  • Options
    eek said:

MattW said:

eek said:

Could be either.

People saying that really don't know Darlington - and remember the original plan was for an out of town office which has been vetoed.

The Town Centre has plenty of suitable places - it's just a matter of working out which eyesore provides the appropriate amount of space.
    And 800 (?) staff is not really a huge office building.
  • Options

I'd love that.
    Am in the south - it's about two and half hours if you are on the north coast! But let me know nearer the time. I'm sure I can steer you towards some good eating and drinking establishments. Some good walking too.

And if anyone else is heading down here, don't be shy.

• Options
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Current limit is £45.

Trouble is you have to unmask to get Face ID with an iPhone. As you try to pay
    Does Apple not allow fingerprints?

I unlock with my finger with my against the back of my Samsung S9. See no reason to use the face stuff, fingerprint is fine for me.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Such arcane nonsense! Either Nicola is a genius or those lining up against her are hopeless. I'd go so far as to say her standing will have been improved after this morning's showing.

She has framed her defense in such a way that misogynists line up behind Alex and those who think women aren't playthings for his edification line up behind her.

It's a convincing and persuasive position and the only cut through from this morning's questions. Who cares who said what to who on March 29th? The public will make up their own minds who are the goodies and baddies.

Incidentally If Murdo McLeod is the brightest tool in the Unionist box then God help Unionism!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    She says her general awareness and suspicion became specific knowledge when presented with specific allegations. Whether true or not, this is a perfectly possible evolution of a situation.
    Of course it is. She's a lefty so all can be explained and justified. Nothing to see here.
    Indeed. But it's going to be bloody hilarious watching them try to go after Boris' wallpaper after that performance by Nicola Maduro...
This discussion has been closed.