Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The polling finds Brits top the world rankings when it comes to willingness to be vaccinated – polit

Comments

• isamisam Posts: 40,731
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:
    A song I can’t stop listening to at the moment... from the 90s but as Emo Phillips says about his underpants, ‘new... well new to me’

https://youtu.be/FMSU4QDbdew
    Won't play in the US :disappointed:
    Angeles by Elliott Smith
    Listening now, I like it.
    Miss Misery is another good one of his. Apparently the concept is from Kierkegaard, and peoples relationship with depression, so Miss Misery is his mistress Misery

“ Besides my other numerous circle of aquaintances I have one more intimate confidant -- my melancholy. In the midst of my joy, in the midst of my work, he waves to me, calls me to one side, even though I physically stay put. My melancholy is the most faithful mistress I have known; what wonder, then, that I love her in return."

https://youtu.be/gRUyC9veWtw
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,261
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

OK! Music!

I have recently discovered that there are musicians who exist entirely on Youtube, who are quite fantastic, and doing very well

The American singer-songwriter Josh Turner is an example. He does a lot of covers, but also sometimes his own stuff. Makes deceptively handmade videos, and makes a lot of money. I think the highly cultivated amateurishness is part of the appeal

This cover of Can't Help Falling In Love With You is just superb. The harmonies. Spine tingling. And I am a bit in love with the girl on the right. Sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5mmhokV24Q

God that's unlistenable. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    In time you will understand that I am right about everything. I am prepared to wait
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Coldplay. Yellow would make my all time top 100 songs.
    Everything else is execrable.
    Like REM and Orange Crush.

Nah. Coldplay were great. And Viva la Vida is brilliant. Those opening chords. Awesome and unmistakeable, immediately you are excited.

675 million views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE

People who pretend to hate Coldplay are like people who pretended to hate the Bee Gees or Phil Collins. They are embarrassed to like something so popular, lest they be seen as ordinary, and just like everyone else, so they affect to like some Moldovan nose flute banjo trio. It is a sign of deep social insecurity
    Viva La Vida is fine, maybe more than fine. It's certainly their best album since A Rush of Blood to the Head.

But it also highlights their weaknesses too. It's that kid trying too hard to be cool and experimental and not quite managing it.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

OK! Music!

I have recently discovered that there are musicians who exist entirely on Youtube, who are quite fantastic, and doing very well

The American singer-songwriter Josh Turner is an example. He does a lot of covers, but also sometimes his own stuff. Makes deceptively handmade videos, and makes a lot of money. I think the highly cultivated amateurishness is part of the appeal

This cover of Can't Help Falling In Love With You is just superb. The harmonies. Spine tingling. And I am a bit in love with the girl on the right. Sorry

From the screenshot, I'm not even pressing play.

What is Leon's obsession with spotty little herberts? First wanting them to run the vaccination programme, and now this.
    They are his target market for artisanal flint knapped sex toys maybe?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Nah. Coldplay were great. And Viva la Vida is brilliant. Those opening chords. Awesome and unmistakeable, immediately you are excited.

675 million views

People who pretend to hate Coldplay are like people who pretended to hate the Bee Gees or Phil Collins. They are embarrassed to like something so popular, lest they be seen as ordinary, and just like everyone else, so they affect to like some Moldovan nose flute banjo trio. It is a sign of deep social insecurity
    Nah. Just dont like them. Each to their own. Live and let live.
    Anyways. Having Yellow in my top 100 songs is a curious definition of pretending to hate.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

OK! Music!

What is Leon's obsession with spotty little herberts? First wanting them to run the vaccination programme, and now this.
    I'm thinking more affluent boomers, unless he's doing a hefty NUS discount.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Viva La Vida is fine, maybe more than fine. It's certainly their best album since A Rush of Blood to the Head.

But it also highlights their weaknesses too. It's that kid trying too hard to be cool and experimental and not quite managing it.
    Oh FFS. It's just a brilliant pop song. You're just ashamed to be like everyone else that loves it, because you, too, are a geek, and instead you want to appear arty, experimental and *emo*

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

OK! Music!

I'm thinking more affluent boomers, unless he's doing a hefty NUS discount.
    Perhaps he offers a discount if they send him a promotional video of them using it?
  • ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Oh FFS. It's just a brilliant pop song. You're just ashamed to be like everyone else that loves it, because you, too, are a geek, and instead you want to appear arty, experimental and *emo*
    It is a brilliant pop song. But I defy anyone to deny that the Pet Shop Boys aren't one of the, if not the greatest UK bands with respect to pop songs. Horrifically under appreciated in my opinion.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited February 2021
    Cyclefree said:

Hello all!
    I had my first Pfizer dose yesterday. I'm only early 40s but have had some health problems so pushed up the list. The local set up was really efficient; I arrived ten minutes early and had my jab four minutes later, so six minutes before I was meant to arrive. I tried to loiter outside the centre (away from anyone) to not be so early, but got urged in by one of the volunteers.
    I found the whole experience unexpectedly uplifting. Everybody involved was so positive, their masks didn't seem to be hiding their smiles. I imagine only the bitterest opponents of the government/Boris/Brexit will deny the enormous success our vaccine strategy has been.
    I've been lurking here a while. I wanted to join the other day so I could get on the Meeks "useful list", but it seems I may have been too slow - unless the list is still alive despite his awkward departure? I'd like to respond to his insane accuation that supporters of Brexit and the current givernment have tried to kill his partner, by pointing out that his preferred policies would have been trying to kill me and many close to me by delaying our vaccinations by many months in the useless EU scheme.
    Was death-cult the mot-juste once?

Welcome aboard!

PS What's this about Meeks' awkward departure - have I missed something?
    Yes

He and Phil fell out and he said he would not post again

I do not agree with Alastair but I have to say he privately messaged me about my eldest's mental health and the electroconvulsive treatment that he was having and he was just so kind and understanding that I am sorry if he does carry out his threat
    I can second this with my experiences.

Alastair is a good guy.
    Agreed. He has been very kind and helpful to me personally. A lovely man. He likes to provoke. I hope he continues with his headers which are always worth reading and returns BTL soon.
    It's not my cup of tea, but it's fine if people like to provoke. However if they like to provoke they have to accept the reaction that comes with it since it is what they obviously want, and it is pretty obvious when that is the case.

Pleasant dreams.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" for me tonight. 46 years of joy - and counting.

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

It is a brilliant pop song. But I defy anyone to deny that the Pet Shop Boys aren't one of the, if not the greatest UK bands with respect to pop songs. Horrifically under appreciated in my opinion.
    Blinks...the pet shop boys had a life span of what 2 years? They are in the same league as toto coelo and hayze fantayze.....a brilliant band surivives over mutiple decades like the rolling stone, mungo jerry, hawkwind, ac/dc etc
    Cyclefree said:

Hello all!
    I had my first Pfizer dose yesterday. I'm only early 40s but have had some health problems so pushed up the list. The local set up was really efficient; I arrived ten minutes early and had my jab four minutes later, so six minutes before I was meant to arrive. I tried to loiter outside the centre (away from anyone) to not be so early, but got urged in by one of the volunteers.
    I found the whole experience unexpectedly uplifting. Everybody involved was so positive, their masks didn't seem to be hiding their smiles. I imagine only the bitterest opponents of the government/Boris/Brexit will deny the enormous success our vaccine strategy has been.
    I've been lurking here a while. I wanted to join the other day so I could get on the Meeks "useful list", but it seems I may have been too slow - unless the list is still alive despite his awkward departure? I'd like to respond to his insane accuation that supporters of Brexit and the current givernment have tried to kill his partner, by pointing out that his preferred policies would have been trying to kill me and many close to me by delaying our vaccinations by many months in the useless EU scheme.

Welcome aboard!

Yes

I do not agree with Alastair but I have to say he privately messaged me about my eldest's mental health and the electroconvulsive treatment that he was having and he was just so kind and understanding that I am sorry if he does carry out his threat

Alastair is a good guy.
    Agreed. He has been very kind and helpful to me personally. A lovely man. He likes to provoke. I hope he continues with his headers which are always worth reading and returns BTL soon.
    I have spoken with Alastair loads off-site and he is kind hearted and thoughtful. He seems to transform into a different being on here though. But who doesn’t like to sometimes provoke people we think are idiots? Not big or clever but neither are we!
    isam said:

Leon said:

OK! Music!

Brian Wilson retweeted this guys cover of God Only Knows. Quite an honour.

https://youtu.be/IZdZbBdFkuM
    Brian Wilson is a reasonably-well medicated schizophrenic so I expected that to be a bit duff, it's not. That's excellent. What a voice! He hits all the high notes, effortlessly

Also, that's one of the loveliest pop songs ever written. Which helps.
    edited February 2021
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Blinks...the pet shop boys had a life span of what 2 years? They are in the same league as toto coelo and hayze fantayze.....a brilliant band surivives over mutiple decades like the rolling stone, mungo jerry, hawkwind, ac/dc etc
    The Pet Shop Boys are still going strong...(!) They've sold over 100 million records!
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello all!

Welcome aboard!

Yes

Alastair is a good guy.
    I have spoken with Alastair loads off-site and he is kind hearted and thoughtful. He seems to transform into a different being on here though. But who doesn’t like to sometimes provoke people we think are idiots? Not big or clever but neither are we!
    Provoking isn't an issue...I provoke fairly often and get slammed for it. However if you can't take it don't dish it remains the way to think

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

The Pet Shop Boys are still going strong...(!)
    Ah you mean they are now a pub band?
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

100 million records...42 Top 30 singles, 22 of them Top 10 hits in the UK Singles Chart, including four UK number ones, At the 2009 Brit Awards in London, Pet Shop Boys received an award for Outstanding Contribution to Music. In 2016, Billboard magazine named Pet Shop Boys the number one dance duo/group over the 40 years since the chart's inception in 1976. In 2017, the duo received NME's Godlike Genius Award.

And yet, you see, you think they're a pub band. Under appreciated,
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello all!

Welcome aboard!

Yes

Alastair is a good guy.
    I too have communicated with Alastair off-site and I agree, he is always courteous and generous. It is a shame he gets SO enraged on here.

It does seem to be Brexit that did it. He was never like that before. Hopefully he will adjust in time, and I mean that sincerely

On a wider point, speaking as a Brexiteer, and as an interested observer of the Scottish referendum, I have learned my lesson about referendums in general.

They are hideous. Unless they are absolutely and utterly unavoidable, they should be avoided. They are innately divisive (if they are about big constitutional decisions) and yes, they really should be once in a generation.

Scotland is not a better place for indyref1, and even tho I approved of the result of the Brexitref, I lament the way the UK has been riven and roiled. So that people like Alastair become so apoplectic.

Enough big votes for now. Please. Let us go back to parliamentary elections for a couple of decades. Ta
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

OK! Music!

Brian Wilson retweeted this guys cover of God Only Knows. Quite an honour.

https://youtu.be/IZdZbBdFkuM
    Brian Wilson is a reasonably-well medicated schizophrenic so I expected that to be a bit duff, it's not. That's excellent. What a voice! He hits all the high notes, effortlessly

Also, that's one of the loveliest pop songs ever written. Which helps.
    I have mentioned it before, but this is my fav Beach Boys song. Inspired by Brian Wilson contemplating suicide and the insignificance of his life

https://youtu.be/46IQu0yuJzU

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

100 million records...42 Top 30 singles, 22 of them Top 10 hits in the UK Singles Chart, including four UK number ones, At the 2009 Brit Awards in London, Pet Shop Boys received an award for Outstanding Contribution to Music. In 2016, Billboard magazine named Pet Shop Boys the number one dance duo/group over the 40 years since the chart's inception in 1976. In 2017, the duo received NME's Godlike Genius Award.

Where are they playing now is my point? The bands I mentioned with the exception of mungo jerry still sell out tickets.....cant see the pet shop boys doing that. My son who is 25 knows the bands I mentioned I doubt he has ever heard of the petshop boys
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Where are they playing now is my point? The bands I mentioned with the exception of mungo jerry still sell out tickets.....cant see the pet shop boys doing that. My son who is 25 knows the bands I mentioned I doubt he has ever heard of the petshop boys
    Ok just from Wikipedia

On Sunday 15 September 2019, Pet Shop Boys headlined the Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park festival, where they performed "Dreamland" for the first time, along with Olly Alexander of Years & Years. T The BBC confirmed that 1.6 million viewers tuned in to watch the performance, a record for the event.

On 14 November 2019 the band announced details of their fourteenth studio album, Hotspot, which was released on 24 January 2020

On 24 February the Unity Tour was announced by both New Order and Pet Shop Boys. The two acts were to be co-headlining and performing dates across the United States. The tour was scheduled to start in September and end in early October but was postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

The Pet Shop boys have an amazing back catalogue. At least a dozen BIG hits, worldwide. They could easily headline a Sunday night at Glasto and get everyone singing along. It is pointless to argue otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBjMRvOB5M

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Ok just from Wikipedia

On Sunday 15 September 2019, Pet Shop Boys headlined the Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park festival, where they performed "Dreamland" for the first time, along with Olly Alexander of Years & Years. T The BBC confirmed that 1.6 million viewers tuned in to watch the performance, a record for the event.

On 14 November 2019 the band announced details of their fourteenth studio album, Hotspot, which was released on 24 January 2020

On 24 February the Unity Tour was announced by both New Order and Pet Shop Boys. The two acts were to be co-headlining and performing dates across the United States. The tour was scheduled to start in September and end in early October but was postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
    nods so you confirm not big headliners radio 2 in the park an how many specifically went because they were playing?...pfft....the spice girls are the same but as long as you enjoy you go along and see them
    Leon said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello all!

Welcome aboard!

Yes

Alastair is a good guy.
    I too have communicated with Alastair off-site and I agree, he is always courteous and generous. It is a shame he gets SO enraged on here.

It does seem to be Brexit that did it. He was never like that before. Hopefully he will adjust in time, and I mean that sincerely

On a wider point, speaking as a Brexiteer, and as an interested observer of the Scottish referendum, I have learned my lesson about referendums in general.

They are hideous. Unless they are absolutely and utterly unavoidable, they should be avoided. They are innately divisive (if they are about big constitutional decisions) and yes, they really should be once in a generation.

Scotland is not a better place for indyref1, and even tho I approved of the result of the Brexitref, I lament the way the UK has been riven and roiled. So that people like Alastair become so apoplectic.

Enough big votes for now. Please. Let us go back to parliamentary elections for a couple of decades. Ta
    We can agree on this. PR? Abolish the Monarchy? Bring back hanging?
    This is the job of elected governments. We elect them to decide.
    It really does split people, and imbues the result with a longer lasting power, in a way which losing an election just doesn't.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

Not Britpop but for early 90s bands a special mention has to go to Prodigy.

Massive Attack

Blue Lines is the best dance album ever made.

Underworld

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

a very close second.
  • Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Nobody's mentioned my favourite band!

"Depeche Mode have released a total of 14 studio albums, 10 compilation albums, six live albums, eight box sets, 13 video albums, 71 music videos, and 54 singles. They have sold over 100 million records and played live to more than 30 million fans worldwide. The band has had 50 songs in the UK Singles Chart, and one US and two UK number-one albums.[152] In addition, all of their studio albums have reached the UK Top 10 and their albums have spent over 210 weeks on the UK Charts.[25]

"On 7 November 2020, the band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.[126]"
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

The Pet Shop boys have an amazing back catalogue. At least a dozen BIG hits, worldwide. They could easily headline a Sunday night at Glasto and get everyone singing along. It is pointless to argue otherwise

If only "It is pointless to argue otherwise" were the default on here. :smiley:
  • Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Um, I think they lasted a little bit longer than 2 years!
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello all!

Welcome aboard!

Yes

Alastair is a good guy.

It really does split people, and imbues the result with a longer lasting power, in a way which losing an election just doesn't.
    Don't agree on Pr, happy to abolish the monarchy as long as we don't have an elected figurehead, bringing back hanging isnt enough we need drawing and quartering too
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,284
    My favourite Pet Shop Boys track is their original version of West End Girls from 1984. Don't listen to it if you're not fond of the infamous electronic cowbell sound effect because there's rather a lot of it on the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytTxGwm-55k

• Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

London in the 1980s - for @Leon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3j2NYZ8FKs

Massive Attack

Underworld

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

a very close second.
    LTJ Bukem Horizons.
    Underworld Second Toughest in the Infants.
    For me.
    Incidentally. My teen came downstairs today (!) and declared our music not to be proper as it had no lyrics or discernible melody.
    The curse of Gen X. As the parents and children tut and sigh and sadly shake their heads in sadness at our folly.

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Um, I think they lasted a little bit longer than 2 years!
    I may be a little biassed I admit as I found the pet shop boys at that time the most excrescent purulent pap that had ever existed...till the spice girls
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

I'm not ashamed to like it. I genuinely think Coldplay produced one exceptional, exquisite album which makes them a rare band.

But I don't like all their music. X&Y was awful. The newer stuff is worse. And Vida La Vida is... well, fine, quite good, reasonable, listenable, not objectionable.

But in a hundred years time no one will drag it out as an example of early 21st Century Genius.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

"Depeche Mode have released a total of 14 studio albums, 10 compilation albums, six live albums, eight box sets, 13 video albums, 71 music videos, and 54 singles. They have sold over 100 million records and played live to more than 30 million fans worldwide. The band has had 50 songs in the UK Singles Chart, and one US and two UK number-one albums.[152] In addition, all of their studio albums have reached the UK Top 10 and their albums have spent over 210 weeks on the UK Charts.[25]

"On 7 November 2020, the band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.[126]"
    What do we think of Sunil?
    Just Can't Get Enough.
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Just Can't Get Enough.
    Depeche mode weren't my taste admittedly but they did some good stuff

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Oh yes, people will play the Pet Shop Boys in a century. Unlike Coldplay (excepting AROBTTH), their stuff is unique, catchy and danceable.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    dixiedean said:

Massive Attack

Underworld

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

a very close second.
    LTJ Bukem Horizons.
    For me.
    Incidentally. My teen came downstairs today (!) and declared our music not to be proper as it had no lyrics or discernible melody.
    The curse of Gen X. As the parents and children tut and sigh and sadly shake their heads in sadness at our folly.
    😀 They’ll learn. Horizons is great too. Have to contest your claim on STITI - Dubnobass is better IMO (but both are great).

I struggle to listen to Blue Lines these days, just way too evocative of times long past.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Oh yes, people will play the Pet Shop Boys in a century. Unlike Coldplay (excepting AROBTTH), their stuff is unique, catchy and danceable.
    Always On my Mind being probably the greatest cover version of a song ever.
    This is my long time Pet Shop Boys favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed1tv_gCOUA&ab_channel=PetShopBoysParlophone

It's a bit overblown, but (unlike VLV), it doesn't take itself at all seriously.
    edited February 2021

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Agreed.

(Although the cover of the Beatles' Money by that woman with the accent comes close.)

Wow; the Beatles didn't write that song. What do I know???
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Agreed.

(Although the cover of the Beatles' Money by that woman with the accent comes close.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-P2qL3qkzk&ab_channel=TheFlyingLizardsVEVO
    dixiedean said:

Massive Attack

Underworld

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

a very close second.
    LTJ Bukem Horizons.
    For me.
    Wot, no mention of Leftism by Leftfield?

dixiedean said:

Massive Attack

Underworld

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

a very close second.
    LTJ Bukem Horizons.
    For me.
    Wot, no mention of Leftism by Leftfield?
    This is such a killer track from Leftism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygsLpOwufoM&ab_channel=Leftfield-Topic

dixiedean said:

Massive Attack

Underworld

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

a very close second.
    LTJ Bukem Horizons.
    For me.
    😀 They’ll learn. Horizons is great too. Have to contest your claim on STITI - Dubnobass is better IMO (but both are great).

I struggle to listen to Blue Lines these days, just way too evocative of times long past.
    Saw LTJ Bukem at the final night of Sabresonics. As we left, fucked out of our heads, a curly guy with a striking moustache, handed us a mix tape.
    Andy Weatherall RIP.
    Lost it in the taxi natch.
    Happy days.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Massive Attack

Underworld

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

a very close second.
    LTJ Bukem Horizons.
    For me.

Saw LTJ Bukem at the final night of Sabresonics. As we left, fucked out of our heads, a curly guy with a striking moustache, handed us a mix tape.
    Andy Weatherall RIP.
    Lost it in the taxi natch.
    Happy days.
    Andy worked with a Scottish band I loved in the mid-90s who only did the one album - the gorgeous Morning Dove White by One Dove.....
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-P2qL3qkzk&ab_channel=TheFlyingLizardsVEVO
    My aunt (now 83) is a massive and unapolegetic fan of Gene Pitney, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry and all that generation of rock performers. The only record she bought from the 1970s on is the Flying Lizards cover of Money (as above). It took me years to get to terms with that,
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello all!

Welcome aboard!

Yes

Alastair is a good guy.

Isn't it the rarity and the huge issues at stake that makes them such an ordeal? The Swiss have one every time someone wants to pass wind, and they don't seem to suffer from it.

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello all!

Welcome aboard!

Yes

Alastair is a good guy.

Isn't it the rarity and the huge issues at stake that makes them such an ordeal? The Swiss have one every time someone wants to pass wind, and they don't seem to suffer from it.
    You do need to avoid the California issue where the voters approve two (or more) contradictory ballot propositions. But that shouldn't be too hard...
  • dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Just Can't Get Enough.
    Enjoy the Silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSKrC7dGcY
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Coldplay seemed to have ran out of ideas by 2002. They maintained their U2-like career by becoming the next host being for Brian Eno, but their own contributions seem to comprise meditations repeats of the less rock parts of "A Rush of Blood to the Head", and lyrics about how nice it is to be married to rich people, or dating younger women after divorcing rich people. Compare "Talk" to "Computer Love", if you doubt that they became really, really banal! And contrast to Radiohead who got a little better or at least maintained their quality, but by retreating from the lucrative Coldplay / Keane mopey pop scene that they gave birth to.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    The back half of 2021 looks set to be a live events extravaganza.

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/browse/all-concerts-catid-10001/music-rid-10001?datestart=2021-06-21
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Massive Attack

Underworld

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

a very close second.
    This definitely doesn’t sound 30 years old. Completely timeless piece of music.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmrfgj0MZI
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited February 2021
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

Yeah - the Went West apparently.................
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Great news. The whole of Britain across all nations, parties and cultures is doing a great job getting on with getting vaccinated.

FPT

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I see the Guardian says the Begum ruling is “controversial”

This is one of those special Guardian word-definitions, where “controversial” means “it dismays three people in Islington”

The view of the court about the respect to be given to the views and judgment of Ministers is something of a throw back and may cause ripples. It is not easy to reconcile that view with the unanimous view of the Court in the Prorogation case, to take an example.
    The court over-reached with the prorogation case; this time they are exactly right. These difficult executive decisions must be made by people who are democratically accountable
    These two cases are easily reconciled.

In both cases the court found it had the power to intervene. It took the view that it should intervene in the prorogation case because the government was taking the piss (which it was): the government's refusal to give any account under oath for its actions may well have proven fatal to its case. You seem to have forgotten that at the time of the purported prorogation Britain had a Prime Minister who had not been elected at a general election, who did not command a majority in Parliament and indeed had not won a vote in Parliament pursuing a policy that had not been put before the British public and using prorogation as a tool to impose that irreversibly.

In the present case it took the view that the government had acted within the wide latitude granted to governments when taking decisions. Which, given that the Home Secretary was exercising statutory powers given to them in an extreme case, is not all that surprising.

The main consequence of the prorogation case was political. The public decided, unlike in the USA, that they were AOK with self-coups. As a result Britain now has a government with a light attachment to democracy and an extreme aversion to any form of accountability enthusiastically supported by a self-radicalised posse who are quite willing to overlook anything it does, up to and including the avoidable deaths of tens of thousands.
    Nice example of ensuring people wont pay attention to your solidly put points because you wanted to indulge in unrelated theatrical condemnation.

Now you can pretend to be affronted when people ignore your good first paras, even though that was presumably your intention and you want Brexiteers to rage at you so you can respond in turn.

Well, each of us has fun in their own way i suppose.
    The last bit is the important bit. Tens of thousands of people have died avoidable deaths, but the government's supporters simply don't think that's as important as supporting the government.

I am staggered at the self-degradation of these partisans.
    Pot meet kettle. I assume the Italians, French, Germans, Americans (need I go on?) who died were all unavoidable deaths? Or maybe. just maybe there is a nasty virus in worldwide circulation causing epic problems to all governments. Ours has not performed well, I think most would accept that, but they are not the only ones to struggle in this pandemic. At least we have one of the most open and trustworthy reporting systems. How many Chinese died in Wuhan province? How many Spaniards have died (unclear reporting, and a suggestion that that true figure is far higher than the official one?
    I get that you hate Brexit and the current government, but you are one of the most blinkered on this site. You are an intelligent man, but your own lack of self awareness is stark.
    Britain has done exceptionally badly, in the bottommost tier of countries in its response to Covid-19. Only the most crazed zealots would suggest otherwise.

Sadly, many of those crazed zealots infest this site. Here's the sort of problem that they're determined to avoid discussing:

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1364961983964053511?s=20
    I raised this this morning but the hypothesis of that comment that this is something that could have been avoided is at best unproven. As far as we can tell what happened was that Kent variant took a much greater hold in this country than elsewhere, it was far more infectious and possibly marginally more dangerous.

Your default assumption that this was a consequence of government incompetence or ineptitude may prove to be correct but it is an assumption. The UK has the best genomic analysis in the world. By that time (December) it had amongst the best test and trace and was one of the very highest levels of testing. And yet we were still caught with our trousers down. Incompetence? Maybe but it is possible that we did our very best and were simply unlucky.
    My memory is good enough to remember early December, when cases in Britain were obviously rising and the government was resisting tightening up. I remember the Prime Minister mocking the Leader of the Opposition for suggesting the same thing.

It was obvious what was happening at the time. And untold thousands paid with their lives because the Prime Minister couldn't bear to do the unpopular but necessary thing.
    I'm sure you're diligently noting down in your ledger the untold thousands of EU citizens who will perish completely unnecessarily due to the EU, and various Member State governments, putting political ideology and dogma ahead of the lives of their citizens.
    Your position the other night was that this was a pandemic and as such a natural phenomenon for which no government could be blamed for anything at all. Have you yet moved on from that ridiculous position?
    Not at all. I'm just naively assuming you must be doing as I mentioned as a logical extension of your criticisms of the UK government.

If you're not then it doesn't bother me, but it would be interesting to know. Unless of course there's axes to be ground.

I don't blame any government for anything as it happens. No government is deliberately seeking to kill their citizens. All are doing what they consider to be the best at the time they make any decision, in rapidly changing situations, with new and constantly evolving scientific evidence or theories.

But if there's an axe to be ground then so be it. Fill your boots. It won't assuage your evident hate of the UK government though. Use your vote instead. If enough people agree with you then democracy will have its say.

I have a feeling though that it won't be your current angst that'll be the undoing of Johnson.

So you do agree that the outrageous number of avoidable deaths that the British government is responsible for is something that they should be held accountable for?
    No I don't as I don't consider them to be "outrageous" or ultimately what I would consider to be "avoidable".

Comparatively high to others, at this precise moment in time, yes. Expected, yes.

We have a habit of making our governments "accountable" every 4 or 5 years. If your belief is shared by the majority of people come judgement day then you'll be the first to celebrate I'm sure.
    Expected? The fourth worst in the world? This country is well and truly up shit creek if your disgusting complacency about such disastrous performance is widely shared.
    Except fourth in the world is not true. There is no semblance of truth to it whatsoever so only someone trying to lie to score partisan points would use that claim.
    4th is a frequently quoted (by reputable sources) current estimate of where we stand. It can be disputed - as all precise country comparisons can be - but it's not a bad faith claim. You, OTOH, with nonsense such as "there is no semblance of truth to it whatsoever", are lying.
    There is no semblance of truth to it whatsoever. Here are the real officially recorded excess death figures: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

Show me how you can get 4th from that? Or do you think we should be using the guesstimate trackers that we know are missing half or more of some countries deaths?

Which matters more for you: how many people have actually died (excess deaths) or using figures you know are wrong because they put Britain in a bad light (recorded Covid19 deaths)?
    I have two very strong suspicions.

a) if the 'official' Covid deaths on Worldometer showed the UK with a much lower death rate than others, you would be trumpeting the government's success ad infinitum, regardless of what excess deaths showed (currently).

b) you will emphatically deny a).
    If I did and I was using Worldometer figures that were BS then you would be right to correct the record and point out that they're bullshit.

Everyone agreed early on, before figures showed anything, that the one gold standard true metric during a pandemic is excess deaths. Because some countries (like the UK) do a good job of testing for and accurately recording cause of death, others do not.

What matters more to you:

a) how many have actually died in real life?

b) how many Worldometers claims have died?
    a). But neither you, nor I, know how we compare relative to other countries on that measure yet, and we won't for some time. So you going on about it is no different from those going on about b).
    a) https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

We don't know everything but there's a substantial amount of data there.

Italy until 30/11/20 had 157 excess deaths per 100k population.
    Britain until 22/01/21 had 160 excess deaths per 100k population.

Given the figures that have come out from Italy in December and January it seems reasonable to expect more than 3 deaths per 100k in the eight weeks they have missing from the data.
    (i) "I disagree with the table showing we are 4th worst in the world on covid outcome. There are other ways of comparing that I think give a fairer result."

(ii) "4th in the world is not true. There is no semblance of truth to it whatsoever."

Language is all there is on an internet forum and you are abusing it here. It's fine - you write what you want - but so will I.

And here I use it to charge and convict you of arguing in bad faith, aka LYING.
    No you are acting in bad faith.

There is categorically no semblance of truth to the Worldometers figures. Just because someone compiles dodgy data does not give it a semblance of truth.

When Italy are recording two excess deaths for every one Covid death there is no good faith reason at all to be using the Worldometers data when accurate alternatives are out there.

It is like a few days ago when Leon claimed that France had a 25% death toll from Covid19 because that is what Worldometers gives as the closed case death rate.

Anybody still using Worldometers as their primary source and trying to make political claims based on that is either malicious or ignorant.

Worldometers table is not "unfair" or "disagreeable" it is wrong and using wrong data leads to wrong outcomes. Garbage in, garbage out.
    Much deflection rather than admit hyperbolic language. Ah well.
    It isn't hyperbolic.

You either believe in using data with integrity, or you do not. If you know data is completely fallacious - like Worldometers claiming 25% of French covid patients die, or that the UK has the 4th highest death toll per capita - then you need to sort that out and get accurate data.
    I always had my suspicions about Worldometers. Turns out it's owned by the Chinese. Which got me thinking - what if Covid wad created by the Chinese in order to have a really, really popular website which would sell dodgy Chinese brands to morbid western readers?

Taking on Amazon at its own game would have been a bold move
    Leon said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello all!

Welcome aboard!

Yes

Alastair is a good guy.

They call you the last Brexiteer...but not from longevity, but from tardiness.

I agree on referedums. With the additional concern that they rarely become votes on the actual question.

“The reason the EU became an issue that troubled a political generation was because it was decided at referendum in the 1970s. Discuss”
    edited February 2021
    isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd like to appear to have a propensity to weigh in on the most important topics here. So..

Blur v Oasis

I first heard Blur in 91 and thought this was really good. Apparently it was Kurt Cobain's favourite British song that year..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzCYSdrHMI

Oasis had two awesome albums and eclipsed Blur. But Gorillaz eclipsed anything Gallagher Bros have done since.

Definitely Maybe was outstanding.

What's the Story (Morning Glory) was pretty good.

But Blur kept on evolving. Think Tank, for example, was a terrific album.
    Agreed. I thought Be Here Now was lazy, and too long.

I mean, the nearly 8-minute long track "D'yknow what I mean?", really?

But, the Verve, Pulp, Oasis, Blur and Massive Attack all in their prime?

Superb music.

Do they make anything like that these days, or is it all Rag'n'Bone man and failed Craig David reboots?
    Verve's Urban Hymns is probably the most overrated album of the last fifty years.

(But other than that, I am in complete agreement with you.)
    I wrote, but deleted, that it was the best album of the era! I loved it for ages, but actually it’s a bit depressing
    Really?

Bitter Sweet Symphony is dirge.
    The Drugs Don't Work is almost as bad.

I forget the rest of the album.

(I'm listening to Out of Time right now: what a STAGGERINGLY good track that is. Multi-layered, immaculately crafted, and both complex and tuneful. It remind me a little of Oblivions by The National.)
    Out of Time superb. Country Feedback always reduces me to tears.

Although, and this is so obvious but Automatic For the People....Find the River is sheer ecstasy.

Just realised - you weren't talking about the REM album...whoops!
    I suspect if most people listed their 5 favourite albums then looked at the list of the 5 albums they listened to most they would find huge discrepancies. I know I did
    I went to the funeral of one of my best friends yesterday, and it set me thinking what I’d like played at mine. Actually the music I like is too downbeat in the main, I have come to the conclusion that funerals need beautiful, uplifting music to salve peoples anxiety rather than anything to confirm their misery
    Sorry to hear about your friend.

This is the piece I picked out for that eventuality: it even has an appropriate title.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=gAKy_R1XUBI
    edited February 2021

Charly says, always tell your mummy before you go off somewhere!

Best ‘90s albums for me:
    Massive Attack - Blue Lines
    Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants
    Daft Punk - Homework
    Roni Size & Reprazent - New Forms
    Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation, The Fat of the Land.

Reminder to self - need to ship the vinyl collection out.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    @IanB2 - I’d argue the promos that we didn’t have a vote at every stage of the integration/expansion process.

Referendums are fine, so long as the government of the day is prepared to implement the either result. The Tories might not have been happy if Yes has won the AV referendum, but they’d have accepted the result (the law would have changed automatically).

The problem with the Brexit referendum is that the government of the day was only prepared to accept one outcome. When they lost, they ran away.
    tlg86 said:

@IanB2 - I’d argue the promos that we didn’t have a vote at every stage of the integration/expansion process.

Referendums are fine, so long as the government of the day is prepared to implement the either result. The Tories might not have been happy if Yes has won the AV referendum, but they’d have accepted the result (the law would have changed automatically).

The problem with the Brexit referendum is that the government of the day was only prepared to accept one outcome. When they lost, they ran away.

Nevertheless a process that separates the population into winners and losers so starkly is unhealthy and has negative consequences. At least in an election the opposition has representatives and a platform, and in a decent system even minority voices get proper representation.
    Looks like another stunning day in store. The sea is already deep blue, not a single cloud in the sky, and the entire south eastern horizon is a stripe of dark orange. Sunrise in 34 minutes.
    Sandpit said:

Massive Attack

Underworld

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

a very close second.
    This definitely doesn’t sound 30 years old. Completely timeless piece of music.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmrfgj0MZI
    Great track.
    Sandpit said:

Best ‘90s albums for me:
    Daft Punk - Homework

Fat of the Land - I think that was one of about five CDs I owned in 1992. I must have played it 1,000 times.
    With the J&J vaccine a single dose and not needing deep freezing, if the US gets its act together they could now get this done by the summer.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Best ‘90s albums for me:
    Daft Punk - Homework

Fat of the Land - I think that was one of about five CDs I owned in 1992. I must have played it 1,000 times.
    Given that it was released in 1997...

The 1992 release was The Prodigy Experience.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Nevertheless a process that separates the population into winners and losers so starkly is unhealthy and has negative consequences. At least in an election the opposition has representatives and a platform, and in a decent system even minority voices get proper representation.
    Democracy never ends. There’s nothing to stop opposition parties fighting the next election on the basis of taking us back into the EU (they wouldn’t even need to have a referendum).
  • Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

675 million views

My view is that Coldplay songs are ok, right up to the moment Chris Martin opens his mouth.
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Best ‘90s albums for me:
    Daft Punk - Homework

You are correct... I'm getting my Prodigy albums confused
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Best ‘90s albums for me:
    Daft Punk - Homework

You are correct... I'm getting my Prodigy albums confused
    Fire... Jericho... Some great tracks there.
  • My main takeaway from last night: @Leon has terrible taste in music.

My main takeaway from last night: @Leon has terrible taste in music.

Yes.
    rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:
    And that's why vaccines end CV19 much faster than most people realize.
    Humans 1 - 0 Virus.
    DougSeal said:
    Spector has been pushing this for a while
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Just picked this up by pressing a wrong link. Seems like a long time ago now but it made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBfkvWaSNKU&feature=emb_rel_end
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:
    And that's why vaccines end CV19 much faster than most people realize.
    Humans 1 - 0 Virus.
    Now that's what I call a wild over-reaction.

Yes, looks as though a corner has been turned, but at what a cost!

At least it's a bright cold morning, today, and the sun in shining here in Essex.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    IanB2 said:

Looks like another stunning day in store. The sea is already deep blue, not a single cloud in the sky, and the entire south eastern horizon is a stripe of dark orange. Sunrise in 34 minutes.

Hardest of hard frosts here, and a mist.

But when that clears I think it will be a beautiful day.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited February 2021
    From the discussion on here yesterday I find it hard to believe that many posters on here do not know anyone from Labours current shadow cabinet as they are very astute.
    So I guess they would know Angela Raynor Jon Ashworth Lisa Nandy Ed Millibad David Lamy Emily Thornberry Rachel Reeves.

Maybe not Nick Thomas Symonds.
    However from the amount of critisism she get they seem to know Angeles Dodds to.
    edited February 2021
    Yorkcity said:

From the discussion on here yesterday I find it hard to believe that many posers on here do not know anyone from Labours current shadow cabinet as they are very astute.
    So I guess they would know Angela Raynor Jon Ashworth Lisa Nancy Ed Millibad David Lamy Emily Thornberry.

Ed Milibad. Oh dear.

That one brought home the bacon. :smile:

Edit - where is Thornberry these days? You hardly ever hear of her now and yet under Corbyn she was one of Labour’s few capable performers.
    Yorkcity said:

From the discussion on here yesterday I find it hard to believe that many posers on here do not know anyone from Labours current shadow cabinet as they are very astute.
    So I guess they would know Angela Raynor Jon Ashworth Lisa Nancy Ed Millibad David Lamy Emily Thornberry.

I know them all, but remembering what jobs they each have is another matter.
    edited February 2021
    IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:
    If it was being pushed by SPECTRE, I'd be rather more concerned....

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:
    If it was being pushed by SPECTRE, I' be rather concerned....
    Don’t worry, it’s just a bit of ghosting.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Yorkcity said:

From the discussion on here yesterday I find it hard to believe that many posters on here do not know anyone from Labours current shadow cabinet as they are very astute.
    So I guess they would know Angela Raynor Jon Ashworth Lisa Nandy Ed Millibad David Lamy Emily Thornberry Rachel Reeves.

However from the amount of critisism she get they seem to know Angeles Dodds to.

Why all the bad spellings? Are you on a small keyboard?
    felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Why all the bad spellings? Are you on a small keyboard?
    Yes my apologies Felix
    It also keeps auto correcting and I run out ot time editing.
    IanB2 said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes I agree.
    I have just been told that the expert who advised OFQUAL on this year’s grading arrangements, Sir Jon Coles, has resigned. He apparently told Gavin Williamson that the whole thing was a ‘stupid clusterfuck.’

Not saying he’s wrong. But it’s not a great enhancement to the credibility of the system, even if he is a career DfE civil servant rather than somebody capable.
    IanB2 said:

Yorkcity said:

If you want to test your political trivia, try putting the LibDem's frontbench team to their respective posts.....

I'll start you off with their Shadow Leader of the House - Wera Hobhouse.

No, stop giggling, take it seriously....
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    IanB2 said:

Yorkcity said:

IanB2 said:

Yorkcity said:

They arent doing much of a job, but neither is their leader!
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    While there has been a recent significant uptick in cases this chart may help explain why there has been a reluctance to lockdown on the Continent

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

Ed Milibad. Oh dear.

Edit - where is Thornberry these days? You hardly ever hear of her now and yet under Corbyn she was one of Labour’s few capable performers.
    In charge of Shadow Fleg Acquisition...... If there's an ounce of humour in SKS.
    edited February 2021

IanB2 said:

Yorkcity said:

If you want to test your political trivia, try putting the LibDem's frontbench team to their respective posts.....

I'll start you off with their Shadow Leader of the House - Wera Hobhouse.

No, stop giggling, take it seriously....
    Now, I am as clueless here as with Labour. Daisy is the Deputy. Layla does Education. Does the scottish woman do foreign affairs? Otherwise, pass.

Was there ever a time when the opposition front bench, let alone that of minor parties, was memorable, even to political geeks like us?

Once you get beyond the top team, this cabinet is pretty unmemorable as well, in a way that wasn't true under Thatcher or Blair or the coalition.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited February 2021
    Debate in the US about whether the CPAC stage is deliberately designed to emulate a Nazi symbol.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/26/2018311/-The-CPAC-Main-Stage-Strongly-Resembles-A-N-zi-Symbol

Some think it clearly is, others argue it's a coincidence. But arguably the latter (which is obviously intended as a defence) is possibly worse.

The symbols that the Nazis adopted didn't come about by chance. They were at the heart of their movement and the image they were trying to project. Nazi imitators are not as scary as the real thing. Apart from anything else because they are relatively easy to oppose for obvious reasons. Few mainstream politicians are going to willingly identify as being a Nazi.

But Republicans increasingly adopting Nazi like imagery by coincidence speaks to them actually morphing into the real thing. Philosophically in mind and deed.

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

Ed Milibad. Oh dear.

In charge of Shadow Fleg Acquisition...... If there's an ounce of humour in SKS.
    Don’t you think she’d be cross with such a role?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    ydoethur said:

I have just been told that the expert who advised OFQUAL on this year’s grading arrangements, Sir Jon Coles, has resigned. He apparently told Gavin Williamson that the whole thing was a ‘stupid clusterfuck.’

Not saying he’s wrong. But it’s not a great enhancement to the credibility of the system, even if he is a career DfE civil servant rather than somebody capable.

I don't think Sir Jon Coles is a career civil servant, although he has worked for DfE. He's CEO of the academy trudt United Learning. I've never come across him personally, but I know people who have, all of whom consider him to be highly capable and astute.
    edited February 2021
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

I don't think Sir Jon Coles is a career civil servant, although he has worked for DfE. He's CEO of the academy trudt United Learning. I've never come across him personally, but I know people who have, all of whom consider him to be highly capable and astute.
    Is he? Glad to find I’m wrong, although I should point out a high percentage of academy chain CEOs are career civil servants. It’s one reason they were set up in the way they were.

But whatever his previous role, if even the man who was helping to set it up thinks it isn’t going to work, we’ve got problems.
    alex_ said:

Debate in the US about whether the CPAC stage is deliberately designed to emulate a Nazi symbol.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/26/2018311/-The-CPAC-Main-Stage-Strongly-Resembles-A-N-zi-Symbol

Some think it clearly is, others argue it's a coincidence. But arguably the latter (which is obviously intended as a defence) is possibly worse.

The symbols that the Nazis adopted didn't come about by chance. They were at the heart of their movement and the image they were trying to project. Nazi imitators are not as scary as the real thing. Apart from anything else because they are relatively easy to oppose for obvious reasons. Few mainstream politicians are going to willingly identify as being a Nazi.

But Republicans increasingly adopting Nazi like imagery by coincidence speaks to them actually morphing into the real thing. Philosophically in mind and deed.

Looks more like the SNP symbol to me
This discussion has been closed.