Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The polling finds Brits top the world rankings when it comes to willingness to be vaccinated – polit

Comments

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Obviously, if people would like a PB meet when OGH is in the Lakes in late summer, Daughter is very willing to host.

A PB meet after all this time would be lovely!

I think this is a brilliant idea. I've never made it to a PB meet before (tho I believe I put some money behind the bar, for one, for some reason I cannot recall). I'd love an excuse to go to the Lakes after all this HORROR is over.

This is a good cause, and yay we can support a PBer business. Count me in.
    Not surprising you never made it to a PB meet before, you only joined in December.
    Never made it to one either and frankly scared kinablu might summon me to the carpark for fisticuffs
    Now that would make it an evening.
    PB boxing in Cyclefree Jnr's car park.
    Summat to bet on too!
    Meeks Thompson would obviously top the bill.
    Any other good matches?
    Malc v HYUFD?
    The insults at the weigh-in would certainly be something to witness.
    The Ayrshire Assassin v The Essex Executioner. 2 falls, 2 submissions or a dodgy subsample.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    I think the spirit of Mr Meeks is here.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

rcs1000 said:

I'd like to appear to have a propensity to weigh in on the most important topics here. So..

Blur v Oasis

I first heard Blur in 91 and thought this was really good. Apparently it was Kurt Cobain's favourite British song that year..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzCYSdrHMI

Oasis had two awesome albums and eclipsed Blur. But Gorillaz eclipsed anything Gallagher Bros have done since.

Definitely Maybe was outstanding.

What's the Story (Morning Glory) was pretty good.

But Blur kept on evolving. Think Tank, for example, was a terrific album.
    Agreed. I thought Be Here Now was lazy, and too long.

I mean, the nearly 8-minute long track "D'yknow what I mean?", really?

But, the Verve, Pulp, Oasis, Blur and Massive Attack all in their prime?

Superb music.

Do they make anything like that these days, or is it all Rag'n'Bone man and failed Craig David reboots?
    Apparently ‘Be Here Now’ was the worst of the first three albums because it was all the songs they didn’t use for the first two

I don’t know that there is anything like that music now, everything seems more manufactured. It wasn’t anything particularly new or groundbreaking at the time anyway really though.. I’m too old to listen to anything new. I’ve just discovered Elliott Smith and he died nearly 20 years ago!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

There are some amusing people I'd like to meet but I'd rather be shot in the fucking face than spend a night in the pub with any of the pb tories.

Sometimes people in the flesh surprise. I became quite fond of @Roger after meeting him at a PB drinks, and @Tissue_Price was alright too. It was a good evening.
    Very true and on message boards people are a lot more blunt and rude than they are even in direct messages or real life. Message boards bring out the "don't suffer fools gladly" syndrome in all of us and yes I plead guilty too
    It's true, as I actually equivocate even more in real life, while not looking people in the eye very much.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

There are some amusing people I'd like to meet but I'd rather be shot in the fucking face than spend a night in the pub with any of the pb tories.

Sometimes people in the flesh surprise. I became quite fond of @Roger after meeting him at a PB drinks, and @Tissue_Price was alright too. It was a good evening.
    I honestly expected Richard Nabavi to look like his avatar! But he didn’t
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    edited February 2021

rcs1000 said:

I'd like to appear to have a propensity to weigh in on the most important topics here. So..

Blur v Oasis

I first heard Blur in 91 and thought this was really good. Apparently it was Kurt Cobain's favourite British song that year..

Oasis had two awesome albums and eclipsed Blur. But Gorillaz eclipsed anything Gallagher Bros have done since.

Superb music.

Do they make anything like that these days, or is it all Rag'n'Bone man and failed Craig David reboots?
    Verve's Urban Hymns is probably the most overrated album of the last fifty years.

(But other than that, I am in complete agreement with you.)
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Very true and on message boards people are a lot more blunt and rude than they are even in direct messages or real life. Message boards bring out the "don't suffer fools gladly" syndrome in all of us and yes I plead guilty too
    It's true, as I actually equivocate even more in real life, while not looking people in the eye very much.
    Ah well a mistake always watch the eyes so you know when they are about to attack
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sorry to have disappointed you. Perhaps I should hire a wig next time,
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,655
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Apparently ‘Be Here Now’ was the worst of the first three albums because it was all the songs they didn’t use for the first two

I don’t know that there is anything like that music now, everything seems more manufactured. It wasn’t anything particularly new or groundbreaking at the time anyway really though.. I’m too old to listen to anything new. I’ve just discovered Elliott Smith and he died nearly 20 years ago!
    It's a good point. I too am to old for anything really new.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Verve's Urban Hymns is probably the most overrated album of the last fifty years.

Suede on that list as well?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

dixiedean said:

Blur v Oasis

Albarn's opera of Monkey was more highbrow than anything the monobrows managed.
    I mean...an opera in Mandarin. Mad for it. Top!
    He's clearly a remarkable chap. He persuaded soul music legends Mavis Staples and Bobby Womack into his Gorillaz set up. To choose those people, and be able to get them.. I want to go on a night out with Damon
    I once pottered along mid 80's to the Borderline on Charing Cross Road and somehow got in to see a gig by her dad, Pops Staples. Quite a night....
    First time I've been jealous of a PB music anecdote.. Pops Staples!! That's so cool.. Would love to hear the story!
    I met Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys once.

He talks exactly the same way as how he sings and also looks identical to Alastair Meeks.
    I once delivered a pizza to Britpop also-rans Northern Uproar.
  • Options

MattW said:

geoffw said:

MattW said:

Questions from one who knows nothing of this procedure:

1. Is it really as simple as making such a request of the solicitors?
    2. Does it require unanimity amongst the Committee members (i.e. could objections from the SNP members thwart the request)?
    3. Does the Crown Office have any power to obstruct the request?
    4. If the Committee obtains the information then does a concept of Parliamentary privilege exist in the devolved set-up which would enable it to discuss and to publish said information openly, without fear of prosecution for contempt of court?
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/46/part/I/crossheading/proceedings-etc

?
    Exactly as Wee Eck said.

There may be a procedural question, as to how it is issued.

ie Can than be done by the committee chair, committee majority, or has to be by Parliament.

Will depend on Standing Orders, Terms of Reference for Committee; I am not familiar with those.

I think that he has set it up to be slightly tricky for anyone to refuse to issue the Notice.

Is emergency legal intervention possible, I wonder?

Not a Salmond fan, but that was the best political Prestige I have seen for some time.
    Salmond had the cool command of a man who has a secure copy of every nasty text sent about him.

There will be people crapping themselves tonight. Somebody is his (wo)man on the inside. Which of them is it? Let paranoia run riot...
    It is remarkable to me just how open and frank people can be with whatapp or similar group messages. Absolutely brutal and with no filter sometimes - and no control as to who then passes it on.

In work-related chats I have a rather boring rule of thumb that I never put anything in a message or group chat that I wouldn't be OK with being read out at a tribunal.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited February 2021
    Have any of the newspapers actually picked up on the Section 23 Notice aspect?

Did they all write their reports half way through?

Watching the paper reviews, I have not seen anyone mention it.

Interesting. BBC paper review as shallow as ... well.. the BBC News channel.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I hope you don't expect me to look like mine
  • Options
    Noel Gallagher said of Radiohead “I’m aware that Radiohead have never had a fucking bad review. I reckon if Thom Yorke fucking shit into a light bulb and started blowing it like an empty beer bottle it’d probably get 9 out of 10 in fucking Mojo. I’m aware of that.”

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Nailed on.
  • Options

MattW said:

geoffw said:

MattW said:

2. Does it require unanimity amongst the Committee members (i.e. could objections from the SNP members thwart the request)?
    4. If the Committee obtains the information then does a concept of Parliamentary privilege exist in the devolved set-up which would enable it to discuss and to publish said information openly, without fear of prosecution for contempt of court?
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/46/part/I/crossheading/proceedings-etc

?
    Exactly as Wee Eck said.

ie Can than be done by the committee chair, committee majority, or has to be by Parliament.

Will depend on Standing Orders, Terms of Reference for Committee; I am not familiar with those.

I think that he has set it up to be slightly tricky for anyone to refuse to issue the Notice.

Not a Salmond fan, but that was the best political Prestige I have seen for some time.
    Salmond had the cool command of a man who has a secure copy of every nasty text sent about him.

There will be people crapping themselves tonight. Somebody is his (wo)man on the inside. Which of them is it? Let paranoia run riot...
    It is remarkable to me just how open and frank people can be with whatapp or similar group messages. Absolutely brutal and with no filter sometimes - and no control as to who then passes it on.

In work-related chats I have a rather boring rule of thumb that I never put anything in a message or group chat that I wouldn't be OK with being read out at a tribunal.
    That's just plain sense. People are usually pretty good about sticking to that rule with email, but instant messengers? All bets are off
    Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I hope you don't expect me to look like mine
    In terms of managing expectations I think you're good.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

I wrote, but deleted, that it was the best album of the era! I loved it for ages, but actually it’s a bit depressing
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

I've avoided listening to them, so I wouldn't no. (In the US, they're known as "The London Suede".)
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Obviously, if people would like a PB meet when OGH is in the Lakes in late summer, Daughter is very willing to host.

A PB meet after all this time would be lovely!

I think this is a brilliant idea. I've never made it to a PB meet before (tho I believe I put some money behind the bar, for one, for some reason I cannot recall). I'd love an excuse to go to the Lakes after all this HORROR is over.

This is a good cause, and yay we can support a PBer business. Count me in.
    Not surprising you never made it to a PB meet before, you only joined in December.
    Never made it to one either and frankly scared kinablu might summon me to the carpark for fisticuffs
    Now that would make it an evening.
    PB boxing in Cyclefree Jnr's car park.
    Summat to bet on too!
    Meeks Thompson would obviously top the bill.
    Any other good matches?
    Malc v HYUFD?
    Shame tim is no longer around
  • Options

isam said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I wasn’t disappointed, it just never occurred to me, to the extent I had ever thought about it, that you wouldn’t look like your avatar! Lazy me
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

I wrote, but deleted, that it was the best album of the era! I loved it for ages, but actually it’s a bit depressing
    Can you really anymore award best album of an era? There are so many albums and so many people with different tastes these days....often the most popular album is down to "being in with the cool kids" now than because it is genuinely liked. Perhaps it was always that way
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Bitter Sweet Symphony is dirge.
    The Drugs Don't Work is almost as bad.

I forget the rest of the album.

(I'm listening to Out of Time right now: what a STAGGERINGLY good track that is. Multi-layered, immaculately crafted, and both complex and tuneful. It remind me a little of Oblivions by The National.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

(I'm listening to Out of Time right now: what a STAGGERINGLY good track that is. Multi-layered, immaculately crafted, and both complex and tuneful. It remind me a little of Oblivions by The National.)
    Mind, you at least it's not X&Y or Mylo Xyloto.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not sure they'd feel safe with you in the area with your vehicle in any case.
    Looking forward to the cockpit video of @Dura_Ace coming over Hard Knott and Wrynose in his Hoon-mobile...
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Out of Time superb. Country Feedback always reduces me to tears.

Although, and this is so obvious but Automatic For the People....Find the River is sheer ecstasy.

Just realised - you weren't talking about the REM album...whoops!
  • Options

MattW said:

geoffw said:

MattW said:

?
    Exactly as Wee Eck said.

I agree. I am very careful with any work conversation too. A lot of people are not.

What kills any disciplinary investigation is correct procedure not being followed. These things come out and the case has to be abandoned.

I know of one case where an employee walked off with a couple of million pounds in settlement, despite strong evidence because of emails between some of the complaintants. This was not at my own hospital.

• Options
    Pagan2 said:

I like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones

You do realise music didn't end when the 70's did?
    It lingered on into the 90s, but there hasn't been much sign of life since then.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Velvet Morning and Come On were my favourites.

I thought you meant the REM album then, but you mean the blur song. Lovely song. There is a North African feel to a couple of songs on that album inc Out of Time. Good Song is beautiful too in my opinion
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Although, and this is so obvious but Automatic For the People....Find the River is sheer ecstasy.

I suspect if most people listed their 5 favourite albums then looked at the list of the 5 albums they listened to most they would find huge discrepancies. I know I did
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458

Blur v Oasis

Blur's hits (no idea what their other songs were like - never had their albums) were often sideways commentary at the times. Park Life, Boys and Girls etc. Doesn't mean that they aren't classic songs, but they're particularly relevant to their times. Oasis's hits tended to be more love, loss. This is possibly why their songs seem to have a wider appreciation now - though this is news to me.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Country Feedback is a great song, & Automatic For The People a fantastic album, one of my faves
  • Options
    The NEJM has a good article on the Pfizer vaccine in Israel.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Dura_Ace said:

We could combine it - twelve bores and a twelve-bore?
  • Options
    Shocked to find out that one of those twats who tunneled around HS2 is a yet another proper posho....

In 1998, Daphne had the first of her three children — Savannah — followed by Lachlan Blaze (known as Lazer) and Isla Bluebell (known as Blue). All were born in London.

Their father is Roc Sandford, who is himself a decidedly colourful character. Described as a ‘farmer’ on his children’s birth certificates, the 63-year-old is a wealthy landowner with a blue-blooded background.

His late Old Etonian father, Jeremy, wrote the 1966 TV classic Cathy Come Home, while his mother is the respected author Nell Dunn, 84.

Further back, his great-grandfather was the 5th Earl of Rosslyn while his aunt was the late racehorse owner Lady Serena Rothschild, wife of Jacob, 4th Baron Rothschild.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9305577/Little-Miss-Swampy-Shes-Jerry-Halls-posh-great-niece.html
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Didn't we have this conversation two nights ago? Never mind, it was fun then and it's fun now.

Out of Time is 30 years old. *weep* As is Nevermind.

I much preferred the Verve when they were just Verve. A Northern Soul - superb album. Well, maybe superb is overstating it. A solid 2:1. I liked it, anyway.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

I suspect if most people listed their 5 favourite albums then looked at the list of the 5 albums they listened to most they would find huge discrepancies. I know I did
    I went to the funeral of one of my best friends yesterday, and it set me thinking what I’d like played at mine. Actually the music I like is too downbeat in the main, I have come to the conclusion that funerals need beautiful, uplifting music to salve peoples anxiety rather than anything to confirm their misery
  • Options
    I'm so amused by how many comments have been spawned by my Blur/Oasis post. And glad RCS is involved so won't censure me for instigating such lunacy
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

It lingered on into the 90s, but there hasn't been much sign of life since then.
    Maybe you arent looking in the right places
  • Options
    PB music lovers, a question:

Coldplay produced one extraordinary album, A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Almost everything since has been utter shit. Indeed, I often wonder if it's the same band.

How?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Almost everything since has been utter shit. Indeed, I often wonder if it's the same band.

How?

Paltrow?
  • Options
    isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

I went to the funeral of one of my best friends yesterday, and it set me thinking what I’d like played at mine. Actually the music I like is too downbeat in the main, I have come to the conclusion that funerals need beautiful, uplifting music to salve peoples anxiety rather than anything to confirm their misery
    Got mine already picked out for the lighting of the pyre
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx0KlgQk7zc

• Options
    rcs1000 said:
    A song I can’t stop listening to at the moment... from the 90s but as Emo Phillips says about his underpants, ‘new... well new to me’

https://youtu.be/FMSU4QDbdew
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

We could combine it - twelve bores and a twelve-bore?
    Very well done!
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:
    A song I can’t stop listening to at the moment... from the 90s but as Emo Phillips says about his underpants, ‘new... well new to me’

Won't play in the US :disappointed:
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,231
    Dura_Ace said:

Both can be arranged, simultaneously.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

How?

Paltrow?
    Good call.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Angeles by Elliott Smith
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

I admit also got catering organised for after the open air funeral pyre....hired a firm that does hog roasts
  • Options
    isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Sorry to hear that. I think people don't mind a tearjerker at a funeral - it's the wake were everyone perks up a bit.

• Options
    Not Britpop but for early 90s bands a special mention has to go to Prodigy.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

I admit also got catering organised for after the open air funeral pyre....hired a firm that does hog roasts
    It's certainly energy efficient...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

How?

‘Don’t Panic’ off their first album is a nice song
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

chuckles well don't think the plan is to cook it over me that would be unsanitary...but whats the point of being dead if you can't have a laugh. Strangely only one facility in england when I arranged it to do an open air pyre
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Mine: Jonathan Richman - I'm a Little Dinosaur (planning to go away....)
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Of recent bands, I have become rather fond of Molchat Doma, who started in 2017. Bleak, but beautiful.

https://youtu.be/91GTuZWCQmY
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

I recently discovered this - even though it was released nearly 3 years ago. Now it's an ear worm. But a very agreeable one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqYWcp1JH7Y
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I wasn’t disappointed, it just never occurred to me, to the extent I had ever thought about it, that you wouldn’t look like your avatar! Lazy me
    Lazy Richard I call it. Do people not wear a periwig when attending a social function these days?
  • Options

The Prodigy! Highly derivative of their influencers The Shamen. (Joke!!!!)
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

How?

There are some good songs on Parachutes. But A Rush of Blood to the Head is a genuinely excellent album: very stripped back, not over-produced, and still rather unique. (Also, unlike the rest of their work, they manage soulful without being mawkish. Unlike Fix You.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

How?

There are some good songs on Parachutes. But A Rush of Blood to the Head is a genuinely excellent album: very stripped back, not over-produced, and still rather unique. (Also, unlike the rest of their work, they manage soulful without being mawkish. Unlike Fix You.)
    The last album they shat out was unlistenable. I've even forgotten it's name it was so bad.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Angeles by Elliott Smith
    Listening now, I like it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

chuckles well don't think the plan is to cook it over me that would be unsanitary...but whats the point of being dead if you can't have a laugh. Strangely only one facility in england when I arranged it to do an open air pyre
    Sadly none do sky burials.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Lazy Richard I call it. Do people not wear a periwig when attending a social function these days?
    In an age when even the robes of members of the House of Lords are not real ermine, standards really drop.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited February 2021

Have been wondering if it is worth betting on the Greens for Holyrood 21? If we assume disgruntled indie supporters are never going to vote for the unionist parties, then their options seem to be the Greens or stay at home

I don't see it, personally. Despite all this I don't see much talk of the Greens. They appear now to occupy a very special place in the pantheon of uselessness.

If you are pro-Indy the categories appear at the moment to (broadly, and not equally split) look like:

- extremely-pro-SNP-despite-current-shenanigans-just-wish-the-disunity-would-stop-please - will vote SNP on both ballots come what may
    - feeling disillusioned with the SNP but realise there's no other option on the constituency vote, so hold your nose there, but make a protest on the list vote. In these circumstances if you're disillusioned with the SNP you're probably also not a big fan of the Greens (even more "woke", quite inclined to be sleekit in how they use their influence given the SNP's near-but-not-actual majority), so you'll look at some of the smaller list-only indy parties (ISP seems to be one of the few names that get a mention).
    - absolutely refusing to vote SNP at all now after events of the last few years but desperately hoping for secret option number 3, that the current situation will sufficiently explode that a split of the SNP will lead to some of the Salmond wing joining him in some new party which will probably still be list only but actually likely to make some headway by having some "names".

I've not seen many people say "hmm Greens it is then".

The Greens are like that civ in the Culture that isn't the Culture and isn't quite as advanced as the Culture but really wants to be the Culture. Despite all their fawning of the Culture they barely exist on the Culture's radar - except that rare time when suddenly the Culture is in a little bit of difficulty and the extra votes of the pretendy-Culture come in quite handy, when suddenly they're besties.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

My listening this evening is Suede, Dog Man Star. One of the very best albums produced in the 90s. Asphalt World is just brilliant.
  • Options

The Prodigy! Highly derivative of their influencers The Shamen. (Joke!!!!)
    Naughty naughty very naughty.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

This is what I'd like played at my funeral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbWBRnDK_AE&ab_channel=Radiohead
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Of recent bands, I have become rather fond of Molchat Doma, who started in 2017. Bleak, but beautiful.

https://youtu.be/91GTuZWCQmY
    I only consume music via spotify now and generally find new stuff either there or by youtube. The advantage of spotify is you can look back at what you listen to most.

My top albums are

1) Lou reed Revolver
    2) Rush 2112
    3) Abney park Live at the end of days
    4) Alestorm Captain Morgans revenge
    5) Faun best of
    6) Jethro tull Broadsword
    7) Hawkwind chronicles of the black sword
    8) Steam powered Giraffe Quintessential
    9) L7 Bricks are heavy
    10) Foo fighters Echo's silence patience and grace

If you asked me to list my top 10 favourite albums only a couple would be on that list but it seems that is what I really listen too
  • Options
    Coldplay. Yellow would make my all time top 100 songs.
    Everything else is execrable.
    Like REM and Orange Crush.
  • Options
    OK! Music!

I have recently discovered that there are musicians who exist entirely on Youtube, who are quite fantastic, and doing very well

The American singer-songwriter Josh Turner is an example. He does a lot of covers, but also sometimes his own stuff. Makes deceptively handmade videos, and makes a lot of money. I think the highly cultivated amateurishness is part of the appeal

This cover of Can't Help Falling In Love With You is just superb. The harmonies. Spine tingling. And I am a bit in love with the girl on the right. Sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5mmhokV24Q
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

If you mean in the zoroastrian sense I think there is a place
  • Options
    Incidentally, if people are in the mood for 'unwoke' comedy, I've just seen several episodes of Paradise PD on Netflix. It's so terrible it actually comes around to being almost fascinating. I think the show Hoops was trying to do the same intentionally offensive thing, but was merely so terrible it was completely unwatchable.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

This is what I'd like played at my funeral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbWBRnDK_AE&ab_channel=Radiohead
    I love this. But my problem with Radiohead is that - well, Thom Yorke - well he just needs a bloody good slap. I don't know why.

I saw them live supporting REM in '95 at the MK Bowl and they played whilst the sun was going down on a blistering hot summers day. It was very special.

But Thom Yorke still deserves a slap.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

I want to be in a neolithic longbarrow.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

In an age when even the robes of members of the House of Lords are not real ermine, standards really drop.
    I'm not impressed that the current Speaker hasn't revived the wig. Betty Boothroyd didn't need to as she had copious amounts of white hair. Michael Martin era is best forgotten. Then you have Bercow, also best forgotten. That wig should come back.

That is not a humorous post, I really mean it.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Tibetan.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

I want to be in a neolithic longbarrow.
    Having slept in the one near avebury on many occasions I can tell you they aren't very comfortable
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Presumably ravens do the dirty work here.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862

Have been wondering if it is worth betting on the Greens for Holyrood 21? If we assume disgruntled indie supporters are never going to vote for the unionist parties, then their options seem to be the Greens or stay at home

I don't see it, personally. Despite all this I don't see much talk of the Greens. They appear now to occupy a very special place in the pantheon of uselessness.

If you are pro-Indy the categories appear at the moment to (broadly, and not equally split) look like:

- extremely-pro-SNP-despite-current-shenanigans-just-wish-the-disunity-would-stop-please - will vote SNP on both ballots come what may
    - feeling disillusioned with the SNP but realise there's no other option on the constituency vote, so hold your nose there, but make a protest on the list vote. In these circumstances if you're disillusioned with the SNP you're probably also not a big fan of the Greens (even more "woke", quite inclined to be sleekit in how they use their influence given the SNP's near-but-not-actual majority), so you'll look at some of the smaller list-only indy parties (ISP seems to be one of the few names that get a mention).
    - absolutely refusing to vote SNP at all now after events of the last few years but desperately hoping for secret option number 3, that the current situation will sufficiently explode that a split of the SNP will lead to some of the Salmond wing joining him in some new party which will probably still be list only but actually likely to make some headway by having some "names".

I've not seen many people say "hmm Greens it is then".

The Greens are like that civ in the Culture that isn't the Culture and isn't quite as advanced as the Culture but really wants to be the Culture. Despite all their fawning of the Culture they barely exist on the Culture's radar - except that rare time when suddenly the Culture is in a little bit of difficulty and the extra votes of the pretendy-Culture come in quite handy, when suddenly they're besties.

I reckon it is entirely possible in a few years I could be saying hmm Greens it is then if Lab don't buck their ideas up
  • Options
    This, also by Josh Turner, is also brilliant. Sloop John B

Twenty eight geeks squashed on a bus, with some weird guy who does falsetto

Yet, it is genius

What is the name for this genre? Incelpop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy1nPA9tBjQ
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Presumably ravens do the dirty work here.
    Yes the body is exposed and carrion birds do the work of disposal
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Whether interesting or not...when REM performed Orange Crush on TOTP the presenter at the end finished the segment by saying "....just what everyone wants on a hot day - Orange Crush".

Stipe probably wanted to die.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I like their song The Hardest Part - I'm strange like that.
  • Options
    while we are talking music we should all hail the genius of dr foxys compatriots
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ElmE-cCtXs
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

Kay Burley does the eulogy, Adam Boulton drops a rose on the coffin?
  • Options
    Leon said:

OK! Music!

I have recently discovered that there are musicians who exist entirely on Youtube, who are quite fantastic, and doing very well

The American singer-songwriter Josh Turner is an example. He does a lot of covers, but also sometimes his own stuff. Makes deceptively handmade videos, and makes a lot of money. I think the highly cultivated amateurishness is part of the appeal

This cover of Can't Help Falling In Love With You is just superb. The harmonies. Spine tingling. And I am a bit in love with the girl on the right. Sorry

God that's unlistenable. You should be ashamed of yourself.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

My listening this evening is Suede, Dog Man Star. One of the very best albums produced in the 90s. Asphalt World is just brilliant.
    Your music taste has, to date, been excellent. So I shall add to the list.

(I'm building my own streaming music player using a Raspberry Pi Zero W.)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

And Big G moans about the coverage?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Nah. Coldplay were great. And Viva la Vida is brilliant. Those opening chords. Awesome and unmistakeable, immediately you are excited.

675 million views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE

People who pretend to hate Coldplay are like people who pretended to hate the Bee Gees or Phil Collins. They are embarrassed to like something so popular, lest they be seen as ordinary, and just like everyone else, so they affect to like some Moldovan nose flute banjo trio. It is a sign of deep social insecurity
  • Options
    Leon said:

OK! Music!

Brian Wilson retweeted this guys cover of God Only Knows. Quite an honour.

https://youtu.be/IZdZbBdFkuM
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blur v Oasis

Superb music.

Really?

And Big G moans about the coverage?
    POTD! :lol:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Foxy said:

I agree. I am very careful with any work conversation too. A lot of people are not.

What kills any disciplinary investigation is correct procedure not being followed. These things come out and the case has to be abandoned.

I know of one case where an employee walked off with a couple of million pounds in settlement, despite strong evidence because of emails between some of the complaintants. This was not at my own hospital.

A friend worked for an organisation (not mine) where a ring of more junior staff exchanged sexist jokes about everyone around them, including people coming in for interview - commenting on body parts, speculating on orientation, etc. It eventually came out when someone retiring said to the CEO "Did you know...?" and everyone involved was fired. The CEO apparently said, exasperated, "It's not just the jokes I object to. It's not even just the time-wasting. It's the sheer stupidity of doing it on office email!"

• Options

dixiedean said:

Whether interesting or not...when REM performed Orange Crush on TOTP the presenter at the end finished the segment by saying "....just what everyone wants on a hot day - Orange Crush".

Idiot!
    Any PBer worth their salt would know it predicted the surge of the NDP into opposition in the 2011 Canadian Federal election.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Idiot!
    Any PBer worth their salt would know it predicted the surge of the NDP into opposition in the 2011 Canadian Federal election.
    Or indeed Trumps 2016 victory.
  • Options

Foxy said:

A friend worked for an organisation (not mine) where a ring of more junior staff exchanged sexist jokes about everyone around them, including people coming in for interview - commenting on body parts, speculating on orientation, etc. It eventually came out when someone retiring said to the CEO "Did you know...?" and everyone involved was fired. The CEO apparently said, exasperated, "It's not just the jokes I object to. It's not even just the time-wasting. It's the sheer stupidity of doing it on office email!"

Nods take a hint from upright citizens like hilary clinton and use a private email server...nods
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Belatedly on topic, I think success breeds success. In nearly all the countries, the trend is upwards, because people hear that a number of friends had it done and hey, they're alive and well. In Britain, for once, we've benefited from the herd behaviour of the press - the papers all said it was a huge success, so everyone wants to be part of it, and by now we all know plenty of people who've had it without ill effects and apparently not catching the bug.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

OK! Music!

God that's unlistenable. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    From the screenshot, I'm not even pressing play.

What is Leon's obsession with spotty little herberts? First wanting them to run the vaccination programme, and now this.
This discussion has been closed.