Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Allowing door-to-door distribution of commercial leaflets but banning election ones would be thwarti

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2021 in General
imageAllowing door-to-door distribution of commercial leaflets but banning election ones would be thwarting the democratic process – politicalbetting.com

Google pics

Read the full story here

Comments

• Test
  • Second
  • ReduxRedux Posts: 7
    That's because they are trying to fix the elections in favour of the Tories.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    We are still in lockdown, FFS.

Let's have a rule that says in the two weeks prior to the elections, each candidate can hand deliver no more than one leaflet. Rules on similar size of leaflets to apply.

No candidates are to door knock.

Who could possibly bitch about democracy falling over then?

• This is why I thought the elections should be delayed for a few months until lockdown was lifted but it wasn't a popular idea. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Let's have a rule that says in the two weeks prior to the elections, each candidate can hand deliver no more than one leaflet. Rules on similar size of leaflets to apply.

The losers?
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Redux said:

Curious.

Because In Wales, the same thing is happening.

In fact, the candidate challenging Mark Drakeford in Cardiff West had a visit from South Wales Police.

Neil NcEvoy tweeted on Sunday: "Okay... Bit of leafleting done in Cardiff West and I've got the police at my door on a Sunday night."
  • Redux said:

Don't be silly.
  • Has it ever been proven that political leaflets have an effect, anymore so than junk mail

Of course door knocking is a different matter but in our 'neighbourhood watch area' you cannot even do that
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

But you can have 20x pizza place leaflets over the same period?

I don't think we should fuck about with the current democratic process given that we have all been through what has been an unprecedented period of restricted freedoms.

Let's keep this one (political leafleting) inviolate.
  • kle4 said:

felix said:
    Trudeau has a very Borisian 4-flag approach I see. He must be worried about something.

Macron and Merkel have gone for matching approached, one nation and one EU flag, in the same order over the same shoulder, emphasising EU unity. Lot of deadspace in Merkel's shot though, signifiying her time in office is coming to an end, whilst Macron keeps to the trappings of power in a fancy office shot, to show he is going nowhwere.

Draghi has rather slightly overshot the unity message, with 2 each of the EU flag and national, and got them the wrong way round to boot. But he's new in place, so may have missed the approved approach. The pot plant edging in is a none too subtle reminder to focus on Green issues.

Biden has the flags a bit close to him, making him look a bit hemmed in, under pressure. Combined with the traditional presidential seal halo effect he looks like he has giant bat wings and a crown - sinister indeed.

Suga (yes I had to look him up) has done for lone flag, either a sign of confidence or naivete compared to an old trooper like Trudeau. The slashed wall effect of the background makes it look like Godzilla has just attacked, but the flag, and Suga, are standing sttrong.

Ursula and the other one, meanwhile, have gone for a subtle approach, heavy on flags but minimised, and made sure the room itself is largely in EU themed colours. The empty space in the middle is not only to show how serious they are in dealing with pandemic issues, but an invitation to the people of the UK 'See, there is space for you as well, once we finish dealing with Boris'. Bold, but too obvious.
    The whole flag thing pisses me off. If they have to have them in government buildings fine, but in ministers home studies? I quite like Nadhim Zahawi, probably one of the better ministers in the government, but a Union Flag next to his curtains? Do the spin doctors insist? Very un-British IMO.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Some of the complaints are a bit overdone and overwraught, and there is time still to indicate a relaxation of sorts when we can.

I think people should be able to leaflet to some degree, but to be honest while most local politicos I know have said they would prefer a delay, I don't think leafleting itself has been brought up.

I won't bang on about it, but the most energetic campaigners are overestimating how much many people get leaflets. A single one is all many will get. I know some lucky/unlucky person who got 4 from a candidate once, but round my way I tend to get 2 from LD and Tories, and 1 from anyone else.
  • TOPPING said:

I don't think we should fuck about with the current democratic process given that we have all been through what has been an unprecedented period of restricted freedoms.

That's a good point, I've been getting plenty of junk mail throughout the pandemic.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,611
    edited February 2021
    Most people would breathe a sigh of relief if political junk mail was banned – I mean I don't even look at it. It all goes straight into the recycling – a load of nobodies making ludicrous claims. It's meaningless propaganda.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Redux said:

Don't be silly.
    It ia suggested at the end of the header - which I also thought was pretty silly!
  • TOPPING said:

Did the pizzas have pineapple on them?
    TOPPING said:

If a local candidate wants talk to me, he or she can knock on my door (socially distanced of course) or ring me up. A load of printed rubbish that goes straight in the recycling just fills up my bin.
  • TOPPING said:

The only pizza leaflets I've had during lockdown are for Domino's Pizza.

It does not make me tempted to buy Domino's.
  • ReduxRedux Posts: 7
    Being less flippant about it, when the first lockdown started I asked my Director of Public Health if it was ok to leaflet (we were putting out leaflets letting people know about the voluntary group we had set up to help with food & prescription deliveries). He said that as long as we took the standard precautions (washing hands before and after, keeping 2m+ away from people etc) it was fine from a public health point of view. We are now in a less strict lockdown with pizza flyers etc able to be delivered. But political party volunteers can't leaflet in the immediate run up to an election? Doesn't take a sensitive nose to smell a rat.
    kle4 said:

felix said:
    Trudeau has a very Borisian 4-flag approach I see. He must be worried about something.

Macron and Merkel have gone for matching approaches, one nation and one EU flag, in the same order over the same shoulder, emphasising EU unity. Lot of deadspace in Merkel's shot though, signifiying her time in office is coming to an end, whilst Macron keeps to the trappings of power in a fancy office shot, to show he is going nowhwere.

Draghi has rather slightly overshot the unity message, with 2 each of the EU flag and national, and got them the wrong way round to boot. But he's new in place, so may have missed the approved approach. The pot plant edging in is a none too subtle reminder to focus on Green issues.

Biden has the flags a bit close to him, making him look a bit hemmed in, under pressure. Combined with the traditional presidential seal halo effect he looks like he has giant bat wings and a crown - sinister indeed.

Suga (yes I had to look him up) has gone for a lone flag, either a sign of confidence or naivete compared to an old trooper like Trudeau. The slashed wall effect of the background makes it look like Godzilla has just attacked, but the flag, and Suga, are standing sttrong.

Ursula and the other one, meanwhile, have gone for a subtle approach, heavy on flags but minimised, and made sure the room itself is largely in EU themed colours. The empty space in the middle is not only to show how serious they are in dealing with pandemic issues, but an invitation to the people of the UK - 'See, there is space for you as well, once we finish dealing with Boris'. Bold, but too obvious.
    Has anyone told them that all that blue gives a kind of Tory impression?
    edited February 2021

Most people would breath a sigh of relief if political junk mail was banned – I mean I don't even look at it. It all goes straight into the recycling – a load of nobodies making ludicrous claims. It's meaningless propaganda.

I look at it and am happy to receive it - better than getting nothing, and if it is all about national issues I know the local party in question has no ideas.

Few look at posters, back when we had them, or looked at content online, either. But the more that can be managed the better, and if there's a load of commercial crap, then fine.

I just dispute the pearl clutching or presumption it means independents will have no chance if there is a certain limit and the like. We've all probably seen some good campaigning swing some contests, these are small elections and it can make a difference. But that doesn't mean it always has as much effect as campaigners think, or that everywhere, even most places, get that level of attention. They don't.

Redux said:

Curious.

In fact, the candidate challenging Mark Drakeford in Cardiff West had a visit from South Wales Police.

Neil NcEvoy tweeted on Sunday: "Okay... Bit of leafleting done in Cardiff West and I've got the police at my door on a Sunday night."

It's 'Sir Mark of Drakeford, Demi-God, Hero of Wales and International Playboy' to you.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

Let's have a rule that says in the two weeks prior to the elections, each candidate can hand deliver no more than one leaflet....

But how will they choose which voter to deliver it to ?
  • felix said:

Redux said:

Don't be silly.
    It ia suggested at the end of the header - which I also thought was pretty silly!
    Sort of. To be fair to Mike he did say "government opening itself up to the accusation", which is not quite as silly as Mr. Redux's comment

TOPPING said:

Did the pizzas have pineapple on them?
    Not the ones I allowed myself to look at.
  • TOPPING said:

If a local candidate wants talk to me, he or she can knock on my door (socially distanced of course) or ring me up. A load of printed rubbish that goes straight in the recycling just fills up my bin.
    Knocking on doors canvassing is strictly outlawed in our neighbourhood watch scheme

TOPPING said:

It's just an aide memoire. They all end up in the bin just that you want the recipient to note that the reds/blues/oranges have made the effort to remember you. So they matter.

kle4 said:

felix said:

Macron and Merkel have gone for matching approached, one nation and one EU flag, in the same order over the same shoulder, emphasising EU unity. Lot of deadspace in Merkel's shot though, signifiying her time in office is coming to an end, whilst Macron keeps to the trappings of power in a fancy office shot, to show he is going nowhwere.

Suga (yes I had to look him up) has done for lone flag, either a sign of confidence or naivete compared to an old trooper like Trudeau. The slashed wall effect of the background makes it look like Godzilla has just attacked, but the flag, and Suga, are standing sttrong.

Ursula and the other one, meanwhile, have gone for a subtle approach, heavy on flags but minimised, and made sure the room itself is largely in EU themed colours. The empty space in the middle is not only to show how serious they are in dealing with pandemic issues, but an invitation to the people of the UK 'See, there is space for you as well, once we finish dealing with Boris'. Bold, but too obvious.
    The whole flag thing pisses me off. If they have to have them in government buildings fine, but in ministers home studies? I quite like Nadhim Zahawi, probably one of the better ministers in the government, but a Union Flag next to his curtains? Do the spin doctors insist? Very un-British IMO.
    Doesn't everyone have a Union flag in their living room ?

TOPPING said:

The only pizza leaflets I've had during lockdown are for Domino's Pizza.

It does not make me tempted to buy Domino's.
    Please don't. I bloody love Domino's (Mighty Meaty or Meat Feast for me) but they are rare treats.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    edited February 2021
    Agree completely with the headline article. It is ridiculous that commercial leafletting is still allowed but political leafleting is banned. I have no idea what he motive is (though I can guess) but whatever the reason it has the dual issue of both looking bad and being bad for democracy.
    Redux said:

Being less flippant about it, when the first lockdown started I asked my Director of Public Health if it was ok to leaflet (we were putting out leaflets letting people know about the voluntary group we had set up to help with food & prescription deliveries). He said that as long as we took the standard precautions (washing hands before and after, keeping 2m+ away from people etc) it was fine from a public health point of view. We are now in a less strict lockdown with pizza flyers etc able to be delivered. But political party volunteers can't leaflet in the immediate run up to an election? Doesn't take a sensitive nose to smell a rat.

I would say cock up rather than conspiracy but I would understand why people might suspect this as wtf is happening pizzas but not politics.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

Along with a portrait of Mrs Thatcher, of course.
  • Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

You are correct. I just had a look and realised we have got one next to the telly. I'd got so used to it I forgot it was there. Silly me!

TOPPING said:

Knocking on doors canvassing is strictly outlawed in our neighbourhood watch scheme
    Get to fuck with that what right do they have to do that? None.
  • MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

...and HM Queen, God bless her
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    I think once the lockdown starts to ease from next month leafletting will be back on, commercial companies have already been delivering some political leaflets and the LDs have been hand delivering.

Canvassing will also likely be allowed from April, even with facemasks
    felix said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

Macron and Merkel have gone for matching approaches, one nation and one EU flag, in the same order over the same shoulder, emphasising EU unity. Lot of deadspace in Merkel's shot though, signifiying her time in office is coming to an end, whilst Macron keeps to the trappings of power in a fancy office shot, to show he is going nowhwere.

Suga (yes I had to look him up) has gone for a lone flag, either a sign of confidence or naivete compared to an old trooper like Trudeau. The slashed wall effect of the background makes it look like Godzilla has just attacked, but the flag, and Suga, are standing sttrong.

Ursula and the other one, meanwhile, have gone for a subtle approach, heavy on flags but minimised, and made sure the room itself is largely in EU themed colours. The empty space in the middle is not only to show how serious they are in dealing with pandemic issues, but an invitation to the people of the UK - 'See, there is space for you as well, once we finish dealing with Boris'. Bold, but too obvious.
    Has anyone told them that all that blue gives a kind of Tory impression?
    And the only person getting gold stars for the vaccine campaign is Boris.....

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

You are correct. I just had a look and realised we have got one next to the telly. I'd got so used to it I forgot it was there. Silly me!
    You mean you unwrapped yourself and put it next to the tv? To the Tower with you, young man.
  • HYUFD said:

I think once the lockdown starts to ease from next month leafletting will be back on, commercial companies have already been delivering some political leaflets and the LDs have been hand delivering.

That will be helpful for "shy Tories" perhaps?

TOPPING said:

I expect most voters would rather read a political leaflet for half a minute setting out the position on the key issues, than have a political phone call, especially if they are busy

Redux said:

Curious.

It's 'Sir Mark of Drakeford, Demi-God, Hero of Wales and International Playboy' to you.
    Not today, his vaxxing reputation is back in the sewer.....
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Does the ban on leaflets cover those ones designed to look like local newspapers?
    edited February 2021

This is why I thought the elections should be delayed for a few months until lockdown was lifted but it wasn't a popular idea. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On current timetable by polling day on 6th May, schools and colleges, non essential shops and pubs with outdoor dining will be reopened anyway and you can still vote by post if you prefer
  • Is the Conservative Party under Boris Johnson heading down same trail already blazed by the Republican Party in the USA? That is, overt voter suppression aimed at its political opponents?
  • Has it ever been proven that political leaflets have an effect, anymore so than junk mail

Of course door knocking is a different matter but in our 'neighbourhood watch area' you cannot even do that

It is interesting. Certainly we put a lot of effort into the leafletting work during the referendum campaign. Not sure if it was wasted or not but the leaflets certainly got a lot of air time with claims and counterclaims about what was on them.

For a GE I think probably they don't make that much difference to most people. For local elections I think they do. There I believe people are far less likely to be following party allegiances and more voting for the individual and what they are saying they will do in power. I certainly pay a lot of attention to what I can find out about the candidates and much of the time it is only the leaflets that give you that information.

So yes, personally I think they do make a difference.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Why would no leaflets help the Tories? Is it to do with lack of reading skills?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Is it correct that Labour and conservatives have stopped certain activities during the pandemic but the Lib Dems are carrying on?

https://order-order.com/2021/02/18/exclusive-amanda-milling-accuses-libdems-of-putting-lives-at-risk-by-breaking-pandemic-campaigning-truce/
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It's just an aide memoire. They all end up in the bin just that you want the recipient to note that the reds/blues/oranges have made the effort to remember you. So they matter.
    Waste of paper.
    HYUFD said:

I presume that there have been no restrictions on telephone canvassing? Do that until 2 weeks before, then allow leafleting.

The only people mourning the lack of leaflets will be the printers.
    HYUFD said:

Will you be presenting yourself on some doorsteps?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    edited February 2021
    It's hard to believe that any government could act in so counterproductive way as this article suggests. Nice example of the theory that all governments are controlled by a cabal of their enemies. Perhaps Myanmar is the example they follow.

Back in the real world the post arrives regularly and other deliveries of every sort from packages to supermarket deliveries occur through multiple agencies.

The post includes of course about 50,000,000 vaccine letters.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Waste of paper.
    I have had many quotes of "the XXXs didn't even bother to canvas/leaflet me".

So again, I disagree. They are just visual prompts to say "they made the effort".
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It is part of the neighbourhood watch scheme and we have a notice on our front door

Redux said:

Curious.

Very true.

I was talking about yesterday's Drakeford.

It is better not to speak of him at all today.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited February 2021
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

I expect most voters would rather read a political leaflet for half a minute setting out the position on the key issues, than have a political phone call, especially if they are busy
    I suspect I can tell who I'm voting for this election without even looking at the leaflets,

Police commissioner - the Tory candidate doesn't have Police experience (why would you choice that option) but the Labour candidate does so Labour.
    Regional Mayor - the tory candidate has done good so keep him in goal for the next 4 years.

Job done.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited February 2021
    The Telegraph has a new six-minute video guide to various Conservative backbench groups.

The Tory tribes - How backbenchers are piling pressure on Boris Johnson
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdLuh4wiCUU
    edited February 2021
    kinabalu said:

I think the theory is that as they have more seats to defend, therefore less info getting out means they will do better. But given how parties in national government tend to get hit even if locally they might be doing fine, I think most people vote based on general feel of how the country is going. I can't see how this is a voter suppression tactic to benefit the Tories. There are presumably good Tories out there challenging for seats who would also be impacted.

Better to have the leaflets than not, so go for it, but not democratic disaster without.

TOPPING said:

I very much doubt it's illegal, unless your part of Wales is some sort of secessionist authoritarian microstate.

Is the Conservative Party under Boris Johnson heading down same trail already blazed by the Republican Party in the USA? That is, overt voter suppression aimed at its political opponents?

No.
  • HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

One of my friends once rang me pretending to be from UKIP. Caused him quite a bit of amusement!!
    edited February 2021

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It is part of the neighbourhood watch scheme and we have a notice on our front door

So what. It is not outlawed. It is just that you and your neighbours don't want to be canvassed.

Canvassers can decide for themselves whether to adhere to your wishes.
    edited February 2021

HYUFD said:

I presume that there have been no restrictions on telephone canvassing? Do that until 2 weeks before, then allow leafleting.

No but phone canvassing in my experience is less effective, lots of people hang up or send to voicemail rather than spend time on a political call.

You can reach far more people with an effectively targeted leaflet and pledge letter and door canvassing is more likely to produce a response and effective voter data face to face than phone canvassing is too

kle4 said:

felix said:

You and me both, Nigel. Let's have some decorum back in public life.

Redux said:

Curious.

Very true.

I was talking about yesterday's Drakeford.

It is better not to speak of him at all today.
    Yesterday's Drakeford.

How apt.
    HYUFD said:

I think this is pretty likely. And given the age of many activists, most will have had two shots by then!

(In fairness we have some pretty youthful activists round my way)
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Will you be presenting yourself on some doorsteps?
    In April of course
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869
    I assume the parties have researched and found that the delivery of leaflets gains enough votes to make a difference, and isn’t just done because it’s always been done, or to make activists feel wanted. I don’t read other parties’ leaflets, and I’m interested in politics. I only read ours in case someone asks me about them. So far nobody ever has.

TOPPING said:

I very much doubt it's illegal, unless your part of Wales is some sort of secessionist authoritarian microstate.
    LOL
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What if you want to be part of the neighbourhood watch scheme but are interested in politics and would like canvassers to call? Is there a sticker for that?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No but phone canvassing in my experience is less effective, lots of people hang up or send to voicemail rather than spend time on a political call.

You can reach far more people with an effectively targeted leaflet and pledge letter and door canvassing is more likely to produce a response and effective voter data face to face than phone canvassing is too
    Telephone canvassing is more fun (and of course convenient/warm/dry/less backbreaking) for the telephone canvassers than effective for the telephone canvassees.
    Nigelb said:

Let's have a rule that says in the two weeks prior to the elections, each candidate can hand deliver no more than one leaflet....

But how will they choose which voter to deliver it to ?
    That is what the phone canvassing is for - to identify the perfect swing voter.....
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So what. It is not outlawed. It is just that you and your neighbours don't want to be canvassed.

I cannot recall when we were last canvassed or someone cold called at our front door

felix said:

Redux said:

Don't be silly.
    Sort of. To be fair to Mike he did say "government opening itself up to the accusation", which is not quite as silly as Mr. Redux's comment
    If you accept that the health risk associated with this is virtually nil, then how else would you view banning a political activity ?

However irritating and/or pointless political leafletting might be, if commercial leafletting is still permitted, why not this ?
    edited February 2021
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Waste of paper.
    I have had many quotes of "the XXXs didn't even bother to canvas/leaflet me".

So again, I disagree. They are just visual prompts to say "they made the effort".
    I have voted before, at local level at least and certainly with second preferences for things like PCCs, partly on the basis of people putting in effort. Not the be all and end all, but a handy tiebreaker. My local councillor is not standing again, and good thing too, as they once told me they didn't canvass half the ward at all, so I know they didn't put in much effort.

The example I gave of someone getting 4 leaflets did indeed convince my acquaintance to vote for the candidate. Which they immediately regretted, as said candidate was very unpleasant to them shortly after!
    edited February 2021

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I cannot recall when we were last canvassed or someone cold called at our front door
    My house was, once. I had just nipped to the shop and was really disappointed to have missed it! (UKIP, it turns out)
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

...and HM Queen, God bless her
    Of course, didn't think I'd even need to mention it.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

But at the risk of a punch in the nose from BigG.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To me letters are the best way to inform home owners
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

TOPPING said:

I suspect it's more - solid Tory vote so send canvassers elsewhere as you aren't going to gain any votes there.
  • Nigelb said:

felix said:

Redux said:

Don't be silly.
    If you accept that the health risk associated with this is virtually nil, then how else would you view banning a political activity ?

However irritating and/or pointless political leafletting might be, if commercial leafletting is still permitted, why not this ?
    I am not a great fan of the Tories at the moment, but to suggest it is part of a Machiavellian plot is silly. More likely an overzealous cock up

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

One of the most important freedoms of our planet, hard won, hard fought for, people died for it. But your neighbourhood says no.

Why am I not surprised.
  • kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I would never act in a violent way to anyone though they would be told to respect our wishes
  • Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

I hope you lower it every night after you sing the national anthem?
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

He doesn't strike me as the type.
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

BigG`s scheme sounds a bit .... blanket ... if you know what I mean.

I`m waiting for Rachel Riley off the telly to knock on my door and I hate to think she`d be deterred by one of Big G`s neighbourhood watch stickers. .
    kinabalu said:

I don't understand...................
  • eek said:

TOPPING said:

I suspect it's more - solid Tory vote so send canvassers elsewhere as you aren't going to gain any votes there.
    Canvasses are not seen generally in our immediate area
  • Is the Conservative Party under Boris Johnson heading down same trail already blazed by the Republican Party in the USA? That is, overt voter suppression aimed at its political opponents?

The Cameron/Osborne proposals were clearly aimed at voter suppression or gerrymandering, using a technique which I gather has been picked up by the GOP. The boundary review under Boris has dropped these worst features so is relatively, if not entirely, neutral.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Redux said:

Just wait till you hear about the underhanded way they made sure their core voters got the vaccine first...
  • Poltico.com - It might just be game over for the Iowa caucuses
    The states with the most privileged places on the presidential primary calendar are finding their roles more threatened than ever before.

"The siege of Iowa and New Hampshire has begun.

The two states with privileged places on the presidential primary calendar are finding their roles more threatened than ever before — most recently in the form of a bill introduced in Nevada this week to move that state’s nominating contest to the front of the line in 2024.

On its own, the Nevada encroachment would mean little. For years, Iowa and New Hampshire have successfully defended their one-two position from states eager to jump ahead. But the combination of Iowa’s botched 2020 caucus and increasing diversity in the Democratic Party’s ranks has made the whiteness of Iowa and New Hampshire all the more conspicuous, putting the two states on their heels and throwing the 2024 calendar into turmoil."

Addendum

Up until 2020, WA State chose its delegates to the National Democratic convention on the basis of precinct caucuses; the state's presidential preference primary being just a "beauty contest" for Dems. (Republicans allocated their delegates half based on caucuses, half by primary).

Note that yours truly used to pay the rent on my humble abode by figuring out how many delegates each of the state's 2k plus voting precincts was entitled to elect on caucus day. Thus my equally-humble bank balance took a hit when the state Democratic party eliminated the caucuses.

HOWEVER, personally supported this move, and still do.

Why? Because caucuses are demonstrably way LESS democratic (with a small d) than primaries. The notion that they are akin to old-school town meetings in New England or the like is a bad joke to anyone who's observed caucuses close up and personal. Because as soon as you get anything approaching mass participation (or rather a significant fraction of the mass) you go beyond the fiscal & organizational capacity of state parties to manage the process. As seen in the god-awful mess the state and (especially) the national Democratic party made of the Iowa caucuses in 2020.
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

My house was, once. I had just nipped to the shop and was really disappointed to have missed it! (UKIP, it turns out)
    Depends on the seat, I guess.

We went to 35,000 houses in Totnes in 2019 (out of some 43,000 I think it is). And that is quite an effort in quite a rural seat.

Interestingly, our canvas return calculated on the night before the vote was within 0.1% of the actual result. Damn, we pavement-pounders are good at identifying our vote!

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

We went to 35,000 houses in Totnes in 2019 (out of some 43,000 I think it is). And that is quite an effort in quite a rural seat.

Interestingly, our canvas return calculated on the night before the vote was within 0.1% of the actual result. Damn, we pavement-pounders are good at identifying our vote!
    So even known unsympathetics you canvassed? Not done that before.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

One of the most important freedoms of our planet, hard won, hard fought for, people died for it. But your neighbourhood says no.

Why am I not surprised.
    You are making a poor attempt to prejudge the voting intention of our neighbourhood in a marginal seat

TOPPING said:

It's that rarebit of Wales.............. Ah my coat...

Nigelb said:

felix said:

Redux said:

Don't be silly.

I am not a great fan of the Tories at the moment, but to suggest it is part of a Machiavellian plot is silly. More likely an overzealous cock up
    It is the principle of banning a political activity without justification that bothers me, not whether it's some brilliant scheme.
    edited February 2021

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Why am I not surprised.
    You are making a poor attempt to prejudge the voting intention of our neighbourhood in a marginal seat
    It`s a Friday afternoon and I think a few PB posters are pulling your leg Big G. (Not me though.)
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So even known unsympathetics you canvassed? Not done that before.
    When faced with my sweet-talking, there's no such thing as a lost cause.... 😉

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To me letters are the best way to inform home owners
    The parties may know that, hence occasionally getting one of those leaflets with is just text, using a font that looks like handwriting.
This discussion has been closed.