Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Biden doing 18% better in approval terms than Trump was getting at the start of his presidency – pol

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2021 in General
imageBiden doing 18% better in approval terms than Trump was getting at the start of his presidency – politicalbetting.com

Biden is enjoying just about the best honeymoon in ratings terms compared with any other of the Presidents in the last 28 years. The figures are from the CNBC All-America Economic Survey and the comarative numbers are in the panel above.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    538 net approval shows Biden having the worst honeymoon of any president since the second world war except for Trump.
  • Second like Trump...(actually last in the header)
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

All heading in the right direction:

Excellent numbers.
  • All heading in the right direction:

If we can maintain 29% reductions per week then the daily case rate could be back to ~1000 per day (which is what we had back in May/June last year) by Easter. An Easter reopening of outdoor hospitality really ought to be plausible.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    About 10th.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited February 2021
    FPT
    kle4 said:

eek said:

eek said:

"We'll just turn our software into cash'.......

https://twitter.com/spencer68/status/1361278599618301953?s=20

I was hoping for a nice and relaxing 2021 on the professional front. #BaileyMustGo

FWIW back in the FSA days I had a friend who ran his own remortgage firm which he thought met the 2.5% capital adequacy requirements and so did the FSA, until it went bust and then they realised the overdrawn directors' loan accounts were never realisable.
    Um the point is that we aren't following the ECB and letting banks use software assets as actual resalable assets.

However Bailey really wasn't a suitable person to lead the BoE and his FSA days confirm as much.

I just expect him to start picking at other things to show he's doing something.

But spare a thought for those who have spent the last few years setting up were capitalised EU subsidiaries and now have to go through a process of alignment.
    Easy, book the software upgrade in Amsterdam and hard cash in London.
    If only it was that easy.
    A good lawyer like yourself should easily find a way of doing such a thing.
    The buggeration factor is really high.
    A legal term of art no doubt.

My boy Dave started to use it as well.

David Cameron has complained about the 'buggeration factor' of trying to push policies through Whitehall.

The Prime Minister used the colourful phrase as he expressed frustration with the civil service's processes of consultations and reviews.

The word buggeration is defined by the Urban Dictionary as a term 'used to describe a feeling of absolute c*** but with a hint of light-hearted optimism'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2992531/My-frustration-Whitehall-Cameron-PM-expresses-anger-buggeration-factor-trying-push-policies-through.html

The IFG covered it as well

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/news/in-the-press/camerons-buggeration-factor
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    Good approval ratings so far and shows that Biden has been able to unite most Americans behind his leadership at this stage better than recent US presidents have done. Though the GOP hardcore remains opposed of course
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,151
    edited February 2021

If we can maintain 29% reductions per week then the daily case rate could be back to ~1000 per day (which is what we had back in May/June last year) by Easter. An Easter reopening of outdoor hospitality really ought to be plausible.
    Entirely plausible.

I think the main debate now in the Government COVID central group ie Boris, Rishi, Hancock, and a few advisers is to what extent will schools reopen 8 March.

Primary schools (all years) is nailed on. To what extent if at all will secondary schools be?

And of course foreign holidays - just so Boris can answer Laura's question on it at the press briefing next Monday...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    I think we've overdone it on the JCVI groups slightly, groups 7 -> 5 (60 - 70 + vulnerable) being treated as a single cohort to be done "next" would probably skip a bit of turnaround time. Hopefully if there's bookings going unfilled they will be extended cohorts downward.
    Anyway hopefully today's numbers are just a slight blip in the grand scheme.
    edited February 2021
    kamski said:

538 net approval shows Biden having the worst honeymoon of any president since the second world war except for Trump.

A month into his presidency 538 has Biden with higher approval ratings than Trump, George W Bush, Bill Clinton and Reagan did.

Only Obama and Bush Snr had a higher favourable rating at this stage of Presidents in recent decades.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/?cid=rrpromo
  • Worth noting how popular George W Bush was at the start there in 2001. Almost as high as Obama.

Of course, 9/11 had a big impact for the December 2001 figures but not in March.

I think he tapped into the American folksy psyche, and was considered genuine and personally well-liked - at least at the start.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    edited February 2021
    <pedant>41% better than Trump, actually</pedant>
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited February 2021
    kamski said:

Numbers on 538 yours truly is looking at (as I type this drivel) re: presidential approval % on Day (edit) 27

Biden 54.6%
    Trump 44.6% (lower than Uncle Joe)
    Obama 63.9%
    Bush II 52.0% (lower)
    Clinton 51.8% (lower)
    Bush I 54.6% (even with Biden)
    Reagan 51.6% (lower)
    Carter 66%
    Ford 71%
    Nixon 59%
    Johnson 76%
    Kennedy 72%
    Eisenhower 68%
    Truman not given

SO out of 14 post-WWII POTUS, there are FOUR with lower approval ratings on equivalent date that Uncle Joe, plus one tie.

AND from 1980 forward, Biden's approval three weeks was exceeded only by Barack Obama.
  • Why did Obama drop so much between March and December? Nothing immediately springs to mind in his first few months that would have precipitated such a drop.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243

Why did Obama drop so much between March and December? Nothing immediately springs to mind in his first few months that would have precipitated such a drop.

Financial crash biting? (not his fault, of course, but would have made people generally less happy towards the end of 2009)

Why did Obama drop so much between March and December? Nothing immediately springs to mind in his first few months that would have precipitated such a drop.

Obamacare

kamski said:

Numbers on 538 yours truly is looking at (as I type this drivel) re: presidential approval % on Day (edit) 27

Biden 54.6%
    Obama 63.9%
    Bush II 52.0% (lower)
    Clinton 51.8% (lower)
    Reagan 51.6% (lower)
    Carter 66%
    Ford 71%
    Nixon 59%
    Johnson 76%
    Kennedy 72%
    Eisenhower 68%
    Truman not given

SO out of 14 post-WWII POTUS, there are FOUR with lower approval ratings on equivalent date that Uncle Joe, plus one tie.

AND from 1980 forward, Biden's approval three weeks was exceeded only by Barack Obama.
    Shows how divided US politics now is that IKE, a Republican and Kennedy and Johnson, both Democrats all had approval ratings over 65% at this stage which no President since 1980 has been able to match
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

A month into his presidency 538 has Biden with higher approval ratings than Trump, George W Bush, Bill Clinton and Reagan did.

Only Obama and Bush Snr had a higher favourable rating at this stage of Presidents in recent decades.

Ok let me put it this way, Biden has a much higher disapproval rating at this stage than every president since WW2 except Trump.
  • Seattle Times - Washington state’s COVID-19 vaccine planning fell short on logistics, sowing disorder and mistrust
    Feb 14, 2021

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/times-watchdog/washingtons-vaccine-planning-fell-short-on-logistics-creating-chaos-and-mistrust/

In the months leading up to the first COVID-19 vaccine shipments, Washington state health officials agonized over which residents should be vaccinated before others. They surveyed 18,000 people and convened focus groups, debating race, age and essential occupations.

But unlike some other states, the state Department of Health (DOH) neglected to plan for basic logistics that would have allowed for quick vaccination of those most vulnerable to the disease.

They didn’t enlist the National Guard. They didn’t centralize vaccine appointments. Key scheduling and reporting software arrived late. Providers were given vials but no strategy to process patients.

Then, despite a constrained federal supply, the state opened up vaccines to everyone 65 and older. Chaos ensued. Some wealthy hospital donors and those able to navigate a labyrinth of websites have secured shots. Trust in the system frayed.

After two months and more than a million doses administered, the state has struggled to vaccinate some of the people at highest risk for disease, including home care workers, Hispanic residents and homeless people eligible for vaccine.

“It was a much heavier lift than I think we anticipated, and we should have had more resources there from the beginning,” said Michele Roberts, the DOH acting assistant secretary in charge of the vaccine rollout. “We should have been paying more attention to those logistical details.”

A Seattle Times review of the state’s vaccination plans, internal emails and other reports, along with vaccine provider interviews, reveals missteps that confounded one of the largest and most difficult government undertaking in generations."

Addendum - An incredible, pathetic tale of incompetence run rampant. Interesting that this story does NOT mention the name of Washington State Governor Jay Fucking Inslee. Who last year was re-elected (versus a crazed Trumpskite) to a third term, God help us. AND had the gall to run for President!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

Ok let me put it this way, Biden has a much higher disapproval rating at this stage than every president since WW2 except Trump.
    Polarisation not giving the last two presidents the benefit of the doubt at the start of their term, as used to happen previously.
  • HYUFD said:

kamski said:

Biden 54.6%
    Obama 63.9%
    Bush II 52.0% (lower)
    Clinton 51.8% (lower)
    Reagan 51.6% (lower)
    Carter 66%
    Ford 71%
    Nixon 59%
    Johnson 76%
    Kennedy 72%
    Eisenhower 68%
    Truman not given

Shows how divided US politics now is that IKE, a Republican and Kennedy and Johnson, both Democrats all had approval ratings over 65% at this stage which no President since 1980 has been able to match
    Absolutely for Kennedy especially considering how very narrowly he won his election. Johnson was after the assasination wasn't it so you'd expect a sympathy surge.

Though it seems even stranger in hindsight seeing how much approval there was for Ford and Carter. Neither are particularly remembered as popular POTUS's.
  • kamski said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

If that's what you wanted to say, you should have said THAT. And perhaps given some numbers?
  • Sandpit said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

Polarisation not giving the last two presidents the benefit of the doubt at the start of their term, as used to happen previously.
    Possibly the end of the age of deference affecting the US too.

People used to respect the office, if not the man and that reflected on the person who just took the office.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    People seem much more likely to respond to a survey saying they will refuse the vaccine, than to actually refuse it when the offer arrives.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    I see Klopp has given himself the vote of confidence.
    Doubtless self starter and willing to act on own initiative are on his cv
  • By every political measure Trump is a loser. I hope he sees those stats
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

Entirely plausible.

I think the main debate now in the Government COVID central group ie Boris, Rishi, Hancock, and a few advisers is to what extent will schools reopen 8 March.

Primary schools (all years) is nailed on. To what extent if at all will secondary schools be?

And of course foreign holidays - just so Boris can answer Laura's question on it at the press briefing next Monday...
    I am not convinced he will say anything about foreign holidays. Too early for that, even to say anything indicative.

I expect them to happen from around August onwards when vax certification has developed AND we see improved performance in Europe on infections.

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

Biden 54.6%
    Obama 63.9%
    Bush II 52.0% (lower)
    Clinton 51.8% (lower)
    Reagan 51.6% (lower)
    Carter 66%
    Ford 71%
    Nixon 59%
    Johnson 76%
    Kennedy 72%
    Eisenhower 68%
    Truman not given

Absolutely for Kennedy especially considering how very narrowly he won his election. Johnson was after the assasination wasn't it so you'd expect a sympathy surge.

Though it seems even stranger in hindsight seeing how much approval there was for Ford and Carter. Neither are particularly remembered as popular POTUS's.
    They weren't especially noteworthy Presidents but both Ford, as a socially liberal Michigan Republican and Carter, as a socially conservative Southern Democrat, were relative moderates within their parties
  • HYUFD said:

kamski said:

Biden 54.6%
    Obama 63.9%
    Bush II 52.0% (lower)
    Clinton 51.8% (lower)
    Reagan 51.6% (lower)
    Carter 66%
    Ford 71%
    Nixon 59%
    Johnson 76%
    Kennedy 72%
    Eisenhower 68%
    Truman not given

Indeed. Even Tricky Dick was "Bring Us Together" Nixon in Feb 1969 after nearly losing a three-way race in Nov 1968

Was Ronald Reagan the evil spawn that poisoned the sacred well of bipartisanship?
  • Sky saying Pfizer are stockpiling doses for second vaccinations
  • Boris very cautious
  • Boris very cautious

And we will see that reflected in the Plan next week
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    By the 30th of April we need to do ca. 13m second doses and, according to the new target, 17m first doses so that's 30m doses in 75 days an average of just 400k per day. We should absolutely smash through it.
  • Groups 5 to 9 - by 30 April (Boris) - debate over
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

Biden 54.6%
    Obama 63.9%
    Bush II 52.0% (lower)
    Clinton 51.8% (lower)
    Reagan 51.6% (lower)
    Carter 66%
    Ford 71%
    Nixon 59%
    Johnson 76%
    Kennedy 72%
    Eisenhower 68%
    Truman not given

They weren't especially noteworthy Presidents but both Ford, as a socially liberal Michigan Republican and Carter, as a socially conservative Southern Democrat, were relative moderates within their parties
    Ford "socially liberal"? Certainly NOT when he was in Congress, where he was leading advocate for the impeachment of Chief Justice Earl Warren!

Anyway, the real reason for the sharp difference pre-1980 versus post-1980, is the change in US attitudes towards politicians in particular, and the American political system in general. Characterized by rising distrust, disgust and disappointment among a VERY broad spectrum - left, right & center.

Groups 5 to 9 - by 30 April (Boris) - debate over

First dose only, right?

Excellent news.

First dose only, right?

Excellent news.
    First dose only - and significant progress on second dose for Groups 1 to 4.
  • Boris very cautious

Under promise, over deliver.

He has no reason to speculate now, he can get on with the program.

First dose only, right?

Excellent news.
    It will be an astonishing achievement.
  • Seems like they're definitely expecting booster shots in the autumn now, so 3 doses per person potentially this year?
  • Boris very cautious

Boris seems to have learnt from his early errors

First dose only, right?

Excellent news.
    And second doses to everyone who has had the first to date
  • Boris very cautious

Indeed. Though also in the past he was trying to keep spirits up, which is his natural style - now simply reporting the facts does that. No need for boosterism.
  • Seems like they're definitely expecting booster shots in the autumn now, so 3 doses per person potentially this year?

Yes I am expecting autumn 'top ups' for groups 1 to 9 minimum in Sept to Nov - possible extended to all 18+.

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

kamski said:

If that's what you wanted to say, you should have said THAT. And perhaps given some numbers?
    I did in the original post, "net approval" means approve minus disapprove.

Look at the 538 link posted by HYUFD and click on net approval or disapproval all figures are there.
  • First for 5-9 and second for 1-4 is roughly 30-35 million total doses isn't it?
  • Boris very cautious

Indeed. Though also in the past he was trying to keep spirits up, which is his natural style - now simply reporting the facts does that. No need for boosterism.
    The stock market and pound soared today no doubt due to the vaccination success

Boris very cautious

One hopes we start to see a bit of confidence returning to the economy, improved manufacturing and hiring expectations.

It has been a long, long lonely winter for many.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,593
    UK cases by specimen date

UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

edited February 2021
    UK local R

UK case summary

UK hospitals

UK deaths

• Early holiday question!
    UK R

from case data

from hospitalisation data

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    More holiday questions.
  • @Malmesbury, it strikes me that a log scale might be more appropriate for case and hospitalization numbers, if we think that we're seeing exponential decay during this phase. It would be easier to see if either were levelling off, for example. Just a thought.

--AS
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Boris very cautious

The "irreversible" seems an unnecessary hostage to fortune though. There's always the possibility of a reopening step having a bigger effect than expected or that a new variant appears that undoes some of the immunity.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

First dose only, right?

Excellent news.
    It will be an astonishing achievement.
    It will and one that will cause a huge amount of relief

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

Millions of people want to escape this and go on holiday.

The prior question was about support for people with mental health problems. Having clarity about holidays one way or another, and asking about when and if is a part of the normalisation of our lives and a coping mechanism for people who are suffering.

Does it mean they are demanding holidays? Only JHB and Tobes. The rest are just willing for it all to be "ok" and these questions are part of it.

Not everyone is as sanguine, wise, or has all the stats at their fingertips plus an informed view of the viral epidemiology.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Floater said:

Boris very cautious

One hopes we start to see a bit of confidence returning to the economy, improved manufacturing and hiring expectations.

It has - but my son who runs a bar (and has a history of depression and anxiety) is now beginning to feel optimistic about the future - he hasn't felt like that for a while
    Oddly I'm finding the opposite. I've found my depression spiking and mood becoming very low as objectively everything is becoming more positive.

I think I'm just sick and tired of it all.
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

The prior question was about support for people with mental health problems. Having clarity about holidays one way or another, and asking about when and if is a part of the normalisation of our lives and a coping mechanism for people who are suffering.

Does it mean they are demanding holidays? Only JHB and Tobes. The rest are just willing for it all to be "ok" and these questions are part of it.

Not everyone is as sanguine, wise, or has all the stats at their fingertips plus an informed view of the viral epidemiology.
    Where do they want to go, Israel?
    Floater said:

Boris very cautious

It has - but my son who runs a bar (and has a history of depression and anxiety) is now beginning to feel optimistic about the future - he hasn't felt like that for a while
    Delighted to hear that. As the man said - this too will pass.

I tell my nephews and neices who are at school and Uni that it is a fascinating time for them and one for their diaries/memoirs.

kamski said:

Biden 54.6%
    Obama 63.9%
    Bush II 52.0% (lower)
    Clinton 51.8% (lower)
    Reagan 51.6% (lower)
    Carter 66%
    Ford 71%
    Nixon 59%
    Johnson 76%
    Kennedy 72%
    Eisenhower 68%
    Truman not given

I referred to "net approval". And as I noted only Trump is worse at this stage.

Biden's "approval" ratings are ok at this stage, but his disapproval ratings are very high compared to all other presidents except Trump, hence net approval is also bad.
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

They are just scared, depressed, nervous, anxious. But for sure smartarse comments will help I'm sure.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Boris very cautious

Markets rose on the back of Japan’s rise last night. The world isn’t watching the progress of UK vaccinations quite as closely as you might imagine.
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

They are just scared, depressed, nervous, anxious. But for sure smartarse comments will help I'm sure.
    I'm genuinely curious where they are hoping to go? Perhaps a dose of realism is in order.

Floater said:

Boris very cautious

Oddly I'm finding the opposite. I've found my depression spiking and mood becoming very low as objectively everything is becoming more positive.

I think I'm just sick and tired of it all.
    Absolutely - people have been suppressing many of their thoughts because for many, those thoughts have been too destructive. Once there is some kind of way out, then perhaps some of those thoughts will come to the fore.

Remember if you want a place that will drive you properly bonkers and also take your mind off the virus, your exams, job prospects, and the fate of Newcastle United...there is always PB!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

Summer in Dubai is lovely :D
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

I'm genuinely curious where they are hoping to go? Perhaps a dose of realism is in order.
    Rob they want it all to be ok later in the year. Will it be? Who knows. But that is what people, in all their illogical, ignorant, misinformed glory want.

And hence the press are articulating this.

Both the questions and the answers are part of the coping mechanism.
  • IanB2 said:

Boris very cautious

Markets rose on the back of Japan’s rise last night. The world isn’t watching the progress of UK vaccinations quite as closely as you might imagine.
    Strange that Bloomberg said half an hour ago that today's optimism for the UK is based on their highly successful vaccination programme
    Age related data

edited February 2021
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

Rob they want it all to be ok later in the year. Will it be? Who knows. But that is what people, in all their illogical, ignorant, misinformed glory want.

The journalist was asking about holidays in weeks, not months. They should simply get a grip and stop asking.
    UK vaccinations

Indeed. As I had to repeat endlessly on the previous thread to @AlwaysSinging

Pfft.
    edited February 2021
    Floater said:

Boris very cautious

I don’t have that history but like everyone I have had my ups and downs. My wife is currently having a down - her business has been badly affected, and as NZers being cooped up in a house in winter is very unnatural for us.

My mate also told me his wife had lost her job this morning, which upsets me.

But i can hear birdsong in the garden, even at 5:30pm. Spring is coming.

Not that there was much of a 'debate' beyond a single poster who hadn't read this morning's newspapers :smile:
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

The journalist was asking about holidays in weeks, not months. They should simply get a grip and stop asking.
    I know we're all on PB but you do understand how human beings work, don't you?

Not all as clever as you, obvs, but the lumpen proletariat are a funny lot.
    edited February 2021
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

What, the journalists are so overcome with their anxiety about not being able to go on holidays that they can't come up with intelligent questions? Explains a lot I suppose.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    "Getaways" is an interesting term.
    Not holiday or even vacation.
    Hmmmm.
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

What, the journalists are overcome with their anxiety about not being able to go on holidays that they can't come up with intelligent questions? Explains a lot I suppose.
    They are asking what their readers want them to ask.

Do I have to explain how all of it works to you?
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

What, the journalists are overcome with their anxiety about not being able to go on holidays that they can't come up with intelligent questions? Explains a lot I suppose.

Really? That seems inconsistent with the polls that suggest only around 1 in 10 are actually thinking about it.
    Perfectly valid to ask a couple of questions about holidays.

1. It keeps the pressure on the government
    2. It's what's exercising the minds of millions of people

The idea that journalists shouldn't ask questions of public interest falls squarely into the 'only on PB' category.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Boris very cautious

It could be trading highs in the Far East, or Johnson's awesomeness. Take your pick according to your political colour.
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

Really? That seems inconsistent with the polls that suggest only around 1 in 10 are actually thinking about it.
    Can you control that data/claim against groups that normally take holidays?

If they don't take holidays in normal times, their views are irrelevant to this discussion.
    edited February 2021

The idea that journalists shouldn't ask questions of public interest falls squarely into the 'only on PB' category.

A couple, yes. Not day in day out. The answer is pretty much always some variant of "wait and see".
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

I honestly don't see how anyone, lumpen or not, benefits from false hope. There's plenty of good news coming in by the day, but foreign holidays are obviously going to be impractical for a while and there's no point in pretending otherwise.
  • Boris very cautious

It could be trading highs in the Far East, or Johnson's awesomeness. Take your pick according to your political colour.
    Bloomberg were commenting that the successful vaccination programme will allow the economy to open earlier than others
    RobD said:

A couple, yes. Not day in day out. The answer is pretty much always some variant of "wait and see".
    Good to keep the pressure up then. Two questions out of a dozen (which is roughly what it was) is perfectly reasonable.

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

I honestly don't see how anyone, lumpen or not, benefits from false hope. There's plenty of good news coming in by the day, but foreign holidays are obviously going to be impractical for a while and there's no point in pretending otherwise.
    Nobody mentioned foreign holidays did they? I think people are keen to hear whether and when they can have any holiday at all.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Missed the Bozothon.

I assume he was statesmanlike.

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

Polls, eh?
  • TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

More holiday questions.

Of course.

Nobody mentioned foreign holidays did they? I think people are keen to hear whether and when they can have any holiday at all.
    As far as I am aware the latest poll showed 81% are not booking a holiday for this year
    edited February 2021

RobD said:

Good to keep the pressure up then. Two questions out of a dozen (which is roughly what it was) is perfectly reasonable.
    The answer is always going to be that it's not in the power of HMG to decide where you can and cannot go after the national restrictions have ended. They have no say or influence over when other countries open their borders. The only thing they do control is what happens on the way back, which for many travellers will be two weeks in a hotel. It's a pointless to repeatedly ask the question because there isn't much that they can do about it.
This discussion has been closed.