Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

From Absence to Shortage to Glut – Covid 19 Vaccines in Just Nine Months – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited February 2021

"We'll just turn our software into cash'.......

https://twitter.com/spencer68/status/1361278599618301953?s=20

I was hoping for a nice and relaxing 2021 on the professional front. #BaileyMustGo

FWIW back in the FSA days I had a friend who ran his own remortgage firm which he thought met the 2.5% capital adequacy requirements and so did the FSA, until it went bust and then they realised the overdrawn directors' loan accounts were never realisable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Great article.

The world is lucky that the UK and USA backed the experimental vaccines. Had we all done what Europe have done we'd still be waiting.

Amusing that Brown claimed to have saved the world, but in one way Johnson has actually done so. :naughty:

He has.

The Left would love to have us believe it's all because of the NHS.

Clearly there are a LOT of players in this from the UK side who deserve credit. Kate Bingham was instrumental from a business background: the kind of ball-busting no nonsense spending of public money like a risk investor that got the job done. The contrast there with the EU should make europhiles weep and weep. Others too played key roles, from Matt Hancock, the scientists (of course!), the MHRA who worked on data in line, unlike the EU who stupidly waited to assess it when it was all in at the end, to Steve Bates, Patrick Vallance etc.

But behind it all is Boris Johnson. Whether by serendipity or foresight he has overseen this country's most important success since the Second World War.

The previous fastest ever vaccine development was 4 years. This one took 9 months and the UK led the world in the rollout.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-a-rare-and-resounding-success-how-the-uks-great-vaccine-gamble-paid-off-12216311

It's a stunning success story. I know the Boris haters loathe to be told the truth but they will have to simply face up to the fact, as have I. On this Boris has been brilliant.
    The only remaining question is what can humanity do to show its gratitude? The Nobel Prize is, presumably, already in the bag, though Boris might regard that as a bit tainted after that lightweight Obama got it. Could we do a Mount Rushmore and have Boris's face engraved on the side of Ben Nevis? Biden could definitely make a gesture, and atone for that Churchill impertinence, by naming a distract in New York, the city of Boris's birth, which will soon be imbued with Bethlehem-like significance for many, as Boris District. That would be a small but significant start.
    Surely Fort William is ugly enough already without taking away one of its two really beautiful natural features?
    The Scots would flock to it though.
    Why? Were you planning to put a urinal somewhere near the top so they could piss all over him?
    It would be a form of pilgrimage.

Fort William would blossom.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    ydoethur said:

AnneJGP said:

Great article.

The world is lucky that the UK and USA backed the experimental vaccines. Had we all done what Europe have done we'd still be waiting.

Amusing that Brown claimed to have saved the world, but in one way Johnson has actually done so. :naughty:

He has.

Clearly there are a LOT of players in this from the UK side who deserve credit. Kate Bingham was instrumental from a business background: the kind of ball-busting no nonsense spending of public money like a risk investor that got the job done. The contrast there with the EU should make europhiles weep and weep. Others too played key roles, from Matt Hancock, the scientists (of course!), the MHRA who worked on data in line, unlike the EU who stupidly waited to assess it when it was all in at the end, to Steve Bates, Patrick Vallance etc.

But behind it all is Boris Johnson. Whether by serendipity or foresight he has overseen this country's most important success since the Second World War.

The previous fastest ever vaccine development was 4 years. This one took 9 months and the UK led the world in the rollout.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-a-rare-and-resounding-success-how-the-uks-great-vaccine-gamble-paid-off-12216311

It's a stunning success story. I know the Boris haters loathe to be told the truth but they will have to simply face up to the fact, as have I. On this Boris has been brilliant.
    Very well said.

Though LOL I find it very amusing some bitter and twisted individual has marked your post and mine you replied to as Off Topic. I wonder if that sad, twisted individual even read the thread header since it's quite literally on topic.

Imagine being such a partisan hack that you are irritated that a vaccine that will save the world has been developed with our support.
    Just joined and way behind the thread but do please make some allowance for the possibility that your sad, twisted individual may simply have fat finger syndrome. On my smartphone it's only too easy to hit one of those active spots without knowing you've done it.

Good afternoon, everyone.
    You do know you can delete the off-topic hit just by tapping again?

Or indeed, a like.
    Only if you notice in time.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970

Great article.

He has.

The only remaining question is what can humanity do to show its gratitude? The Nobel Prize is, presumably, already in the bag, though Boris might regard that as a bit tainted after that lightweight Obama got it. Could we do a Mount Rushmore and have Boris's face engraved on the side of Ben Nevis? Biden could definitely make a gesture, and atone for that Churchill impertinence, by naming a distract in New York, the city of Boris's birth, which will soon be imbued with Bethlehem-like significance for many, as Boris District. That would be a small but significant start.
    Carve his face on the white cliffs of Dover, so that people coming from France can see it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

I was hoping for a nice and relaxing 2021 on the professional front. #BaileyMustGo

FWIW back in the FSA days I had a friend who ran his own remortgage firm which he thought met the 2.5% capital adequacy requirements and so did the FSA, until it went bust and then they realised the overdrawn directors' loan accounts were never realisable.
    Andrew Bailey was a literally unbelievable choice for the Governor of the BoE. His tenure at the FCA ought to have been disqualifying in any sane world.
  • Options

Great article.

He has.

A national award of droit du seigneur would surely be more appropriate ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andrew Bailey was a literally unbelievable choice for the Governor of the BoE. His tenure at the FCA ought to have been disqualifying in any sane world.
    Indeed, if we weren't in the midst of a global pandemic he would have been forced out last week.

It should be a huge story.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/09/bank-of-england-chiefs-evidence-to-mps-questioned-by-former-senior-judge
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964
    MaxPB said:

I hadn't realised but the second jab programme starts properly from next week. It's going to be a big challenge to ramp up second doses and maintain first doses at around 450k per day over the next 3-4 weeks. If we manage it then those fully vaccinated numbers are going to follow the first dose numbers upwards very quickly.

I think the next argument will be "well AZ is a fake vaccine so it doesn't count" or something like that and the detractors will try and exclude those numbers from the total.

I hope they do - then we can redirect our unneeded AZ vaccines elsewhere and leave the EU to their disaster.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,066

Unacceptable....

The analysis looked at 19,044 workers at the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust who had all been offered jabs since mid-December.

It found 70.9% of white staff had come forward, compared with 58.5% of South Asian staff and 36.8% of black staff.

I must say I find this incredible. Even the 70.9% figure seems far too low.

I think to solution is not direct complusion but indirect incentivisation via visa passports for travel and other leisure activities, supported by ongoing education of course.
    The Israelis (also facing a big anti-vaxxer problem) have a solution.

OK you don't want a jab, even tho you're a teacher, nurse, social worker, etc

Well then you will have to take a painful nasal swab Covid test EVERY TWO DAYS.

Seems fair to me. Should "encourage" quite a few
  • Options

Um the point is that we aren't following the ECB and letting banks use software assets as actual resalable assets.

However Bailey really wasn't a suitable person to lead the BoE and his FSA days confirm as much.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2021
    Has the moaning yet started in the media about how awful it is in an isolation hotel, with some knobheads who went abroad on "business" to the Dubai despite the rules and is now complaining how unfair it all is and how the meals aren't suitable as they only eat a diet of fish which eat other fish.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Unacceptable....

The analysis looked at 19,044 workers at the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust who had all been offered jabs since mid-December.

It found 70.9% of white staff had come forward, compared with 58.5% of South Asian staff and 36.8% of black staff.

I think to solution is not direct complusion but indirect incentivisation via visa passports for travel and other leisure activities, supported by ongoing education of course.

Go the Chinese approach, anal swab....much more accurate.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

This is slightly inaccurate, I think. As far as I know the EBA change was to treat software investment as a Risk Weighted Asset (RWA), essentially as a loan by the bank to the bank, where there should be a realiseable efficiency gain, which can be seen as the return on the "loan". The bank's capital requirement is determined by a percentage of its RWAs. This change was brought in as a competitive measure as European banks were discouraged from investing in software and efficiency measures because these were accounted as pure cost, while in the US they could be amortised through RWAs. The UK PRA objected to this move by the EBA during the Brexit transition period. I believe the US system is more generous to the bank than the EU one as the amortisation period is longer.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Great article.

He has.

But, Obama just got the Nobel for Peace (which is kinda joke prize, anyhow).

Boris is getting the Nobel for Physiology & Medicine. And the Spectator columns means he can bag the Nobel Literature one, at the same time.

Then, I think he moves into quantum gravity to snaffle a new Nobel in an entirely different field.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Unacceptable....

How the hell are so many people *who work in hospitals* unwilling to get vaccinated?
    The assumption is that everyone has been asked. Rather than "We have 10 shots going - who wants them?"... So, the "spare" shots have found a home, but *maybe* there haven't been enough "spare" shots for all the frontline staff, yet.

The differential rates are, of course, worrying.
    The original quote was that they had all been offered a jab.

Yes, the figures for minorities are disturbing, there must be more to it than just social media disinformation.
    The memes being put on social media are regurgitations of things that have been in circulation for a long, long time.

For example - "X contains pig products and will defile you"... that's a meme that have been out there for 150 years+
    They need to step up the marketing then.

The highest vaccination rates in the world so far, are from a Jewish country and a Muslim country, where people have been told unequivocally by religious leaders to get vaccinated as a matter of public health and safety.

The BME MPs did a good video the other week, need to see more of that from well-known and respected members of all minorities.
    The problem is that there seems to be a fear of mentioning the actual anti-vax memes.

Which results in a message that sounds like - "That thing I am not mentioning. Isn't true".
    They need to say “get vaccinated, it’s important” and totally flood social media with it.

Bonus points for engineering a row with Facebook and Twitter, for trying to charge PHE to run ads against the disinformation. Proper guerrilla tactics, get the guys who did social media for the Tories at the election to do it.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    With the vaccination programs, there's so much low hanging fruit in terms of population chomping at the bit to get a vaccination right now that the focus isn't too much on the refusers. That'll change around July time.

Expect to see lots of "Did I miss out when my group was being done; No it's still fine please book your appointment today" messaging to go on. That'll collect another load of 'hesitants'.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,404
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

Unacceptable....

Some of us said that yesterday. :wink:
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,362
    edited February 2021
    England Only Vaccinations

Region of Residence 1st dose 2nd dose Cumulative Total Doses to Date
    Total 187,246 837 188,083
    East Of England 22,493 138 22,631
    London 30,631 45 30,676
    Midlands 42,214 120 42,334
    North East And Yorkshire 21,122 223 21,345
    North West 18,663 23 18,686
    South East 33,088 233 33,321
    South West 18,348 54 18,402

Could you please form an orderly queue to the panic. Tea and biscuits will be served.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1361314867404304384
    England 40K down on last week. Scotland up a bit. Is this the supply constraint that was being talked about?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    AlistairM said:

England 40K down on last week. Scotland up a bit. Is this the supply constraint that was being talked about?

Maybe less busting the gut since the "target" has been reached?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Unacceptable....

Make it daily.

Unvaccinated? Nasal swab every day at the start of your shift or you can't work.
  • Options
    Hopefully a temporarily poor number in the vaccinations as the nation switches from JCVI groups 1-4 to 5 onward.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Unacceptable....

UAE are doing something similar. All public sector workers have been offered a vaccine, and unvaccinated workers need a PCR test every five days. The vaccines are free and the tests $50.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited February 2021
    TLDR.
    Many students, especially those from less privileged backgrounds, will never pay off their student loans.

They will also earn less after tax each month, further preventing them getting the capital together for house ownership and widening the generational income/wealth divide.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1361267980257132545?s=21
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    AlistairM said:

There is clearly underlying issue. Now is it Pfizer or AZN and are the government having to withhold jabs for the 2nd doses coming up?
  • Options

TLDR.
    Many students, especially those from less privileged backgrounds, will never pay off their student loans.

They will also earn less after tax each month, further preventing them getting the capital together for house ownership and widening the generational income/wealth divide.

I paid mine off a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,500
    edited February 2021

I wonder what the response rate to the survey was? :smile:

The Annual Report for 2018-19 says they had 16,000 staff at that stage.

https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/performance/publications-and-reports/annual-reports/

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    Nigelb said:

Great article.

He has.

If that doesn't get you a (permanent) ban, then there is no justice :wink:
  • Options
    Who are these Tory Twat MPs demanding lockdown should end?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    AlistairM said:

Possibly the tail end of one cohort and the next still ramping up?
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, they're enough to make one think the collective noun for backbenchers should be a Baldrick.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183
    Pulpstar said:

TLDR.

Still got about 50% of mine, but then, I was late starting to pay it off.
  • Options
    eek said:

Um the point is that we aren't following the ECB and letting banks use software assets as actual resalable assets.

However Bailey really wasn't a suitable person to lead the BoE and his FSA days confirm as much.

I just expect him to start picking at other things to show he's doing something.

But spare a thought for those who have spent the last few years setting up were capitalised EU subsidiaries and now have to go through a process of alignment.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Great article.

He has.

If that doesn't get you a (permanent) ban, then there is no justice :wink:
    It's a cunning Unionist plan to create a new generation of mini-Johnsons.

Or possibly, judging by the relationship he has with most of his children, a cunning SNP plan to make the Scots hate him even more.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

eek said:

I just expect him to start picking at other things to show he's doing something.

But spare a thought for those who have spent the last few years setting up were capitalised EU subsidiaries and now have to go through a process of alignment.
    What's your problem - just put a value on the software, assign ownership to said subsidiaries and use that to capitalise them.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Floater said:
    One reply (on vaccine passports) is:

Same debate taking place in UK but the biggest issue is intergenerational fairness. People <35 have been disproportionately affected & it's cost to them has been massive & on behalf of 60+s, already the wealthiest & now most immunised.It risks ugliness if 60+ win all round.

There's something in that, but I think it's at least arguable that also bearing the brunt of deaths means that 60+ year olds have not "won all round".

Serious debate to be had between differential freedom (bad, from a fairness point of view, in some ways) and letting the fully vaccinated get out and spend their money so that the youngsters have a greater chance of keeping jobs and having less public debt to deal with. Hopefully, by the time most 60+ are fully vaccinated there will already be a lot more freedom for everyone than there is now.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Unacceptable....

How the hell are so many people *who work in hospitals* unwilling to get vaccinated?
    The assumption is that everyone has been asked. Rather than "We have 10 shots going - who wants them?"... So, the "spare" shots have found a home, but *maybe* there haven't been enough "spare" shots for all the frontline staff, yet.

The differential rates are, of course, worrying.
    The original quote was that they had all been offered a jab.

Yes, the figures for minorities are disturbing, there must be more to it than just social media disinformation.
    The memes being put on social media are regurgitations of things that have been in circulation for a long, long time.

For example - "X contains pig products and will defile you"... that's a meme that have been out there for 150 years+
    They need to step up the marketing then.

The highest vaccination rates in the world so far, are from a Jewish country and a Muslim country, where people have been told unequivocally by religious leaders to get vaccinated as a matter of public health and safety.

The BME MPs did a good video the other week, need to see more of that from well-known and respected members of all minorities.
    The problem is that there seems to be a fear of mentioning the actual anti-vax memes.

Which results in a message that sounds like - "That thing I am not mentioning. Isn't true".
    They need to say “get vaccinated, it’s important” and totally flood social media with it.

Bonus points for engineering a row with Facebook and Twitter, for trying to charge PHE to run ads against the disinformation. Proper guerrilla tactics, get the guys who did social media for the Tories at the election to do it.
    Anti-disinformation is really, really soul-destroying though. People hear bits of truth and don't register the connections that make it true, so they believe they've heard something quite the opposite. Trying to instill the connections into their minds is impossible because they've already made up their minds.

Flat earth, anyone?

At least when medical doctors are refusing the jab, one can hope there's a real reason that can be genuinely debated.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Selebian said:

Floater said:

Same debate taking place in UK but the biggest issue is intergenerational fairness.

People <35 have been disproportionately affected & it's cost to them has been massive & on behalf of 60+s, already the wealthiest & now most immunised.</i>

It risks ugliness if 60+ win all round.

There's something in that, but I think it's at least arguable that also bearing the brunt of deaths means that 60+ year olds have not "won all round".

Serious debate to be had between differential freedom (bad, from a fairness point of view, in some ways) and letting the fully vaccinated get out and spend their money so that the youngsters have a greater chance of keeping jobs and having less public debt to deal with. Hopefully, by the time most 60+ are fully vaccinated there will already be a lot more freedom for everyone than there is now.
    My son runs a bar and is under financial pressure - if this allows the bar to open for at least some clientele sooner rather than later so much the better for him and for our economy
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Great article.

He has.

Carve his face on the white cliffs of Dover, so that people coming from France can see it.
    Carve his name with Pride - I feel a war film coming on....
  • Options
    Interview with the director of the Serum Institute; he has some interesting things to say about national regulatory systems.

'We took a huge risk': the Indian firm making more Covid jabs than anyone
    https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/14/we-took-a-huge-risk-the-indian-firm-making-more-covid-jabs-than-anyone
    Adar Poonawalla, 40, is the chief executive of the Serum Institute of India (SII), the Pune-based, family-owned vaccine manufacturer that is producing more Covid-19 vaccines by dose than any other in the world. For now it’s the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine rolling off its production lines, but SII has signed contracts with three other developers – Novavax, Codagenix and SpyBiotech – all of which have candidates in the works....
  • Options
    0.45% of pop for Wales; 0.34% England; 0.58% Scotland. So a bit of a disappointing sunday (Even beyond the normal sunday effect) but Scotland catches up a little again.
  • Options
    eek said:

I don't think the EU and USA are treating software as resalable assets, but they are treating it as an investment in the efficiency of the bank operations. The question is whether that should have anything to do with the bank's capital requirements.

I should add a point that the interests of a Bank and its regulator aren't aligned. Banks like to do risky things because that's where the profit is; regulators want to stop risky things because they are on the hook when bad things happen. There's a tension between the two (and also between regulators and between different bits of the bank). It would be quite normal for different jurisdictions to draw the line differently.
  • Options
    felix said:

Great article.

He has.

Who would you choose to play Boris?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

eek said:

I don't think the EU and USA are treating software as resalable assets, but they are treating it as an investment in the efficiency of the bank operations. The question is whether that should have anything to do with the bank's capital requirements.

I should add a point that the interests of a Bank and its regulator aren't aligned. Banks like to do risky things because that's where the profit is; regulators want to stop risky things because they are on the hook when bad things happen. There's a tension between the two (and also between regulators and between different bits of the bank). It would be quite normal for different jurisdictions to draw the line differently.
    If you read my posts - I wasn't the person who said that software was resalable assets - my point was that software actually doesn't have any capital value, it's really just a cost of business.
  • Options
    During Nicola’s press conference today she talked about a two week reduction in vaccinations of around 50%, to allow for temporary production shortages while Pfizer gear up for subsequent increases, and also to ensure sufficient vaccine for the 2nd doses that are about to start. I presume the same will apply to the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    Re vaccines: aren't the government just sending out the letters to 65-69 year olds today? If so, numbers may tick up again later in the week.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,195
    For news on bets in a different field, this may interest some:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2021/02/dont-climate-bet-against-the-house/
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Unlikley. Go back to the header; yes- the EU are lagging, yes- their size, structure and decisions didn't help. But the quantity of vaccine in the pipeline over the summer is unimaginably huge. And although they are behind the UK, the vaccines are already doing what vaccines do;

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-02-15/coronavirus-outbreaks-in-spains-care-homes-fall-by-half-thanks-to-vaccination-drive.html

(One shocking titbit from the article; Spain has had about 30 k deaths in Care Homes and similar; that's getting on for half their total.)

• Options
    edited February 2021
    And.....like clockwork the moaning has started....

Meanwhile, British businessman Wayne Kelly was warned he faces a £500 fine after landing at Heathrow today from a trip to Dubai without booking a quarantine hotel.

He said he had 'no idea' about the new ten-day isolation rules for red list countries before he was handed a note by Border Force warning him to expect a fine for breaching Covid laws.

Mr Kelly, from Birmingham, said: 'I didn't know what this is all about and I still don't understand it. I came in from Dubai. I've now got a pay £1,750 to stay in a hotel.

'And this letter they've given me says I could be fined another £500. I'm trying to work and make a living. It's a terrible way to treat people.'

Mr Kelly, who works in property, claimed he hadn't been reading the papers or watching TV and knew nothing of the new quarantine rules.

'The first I realised I was going to be in this trouble was when I got off the plane,' he said. 'Now I've got this nightmare of being put into a hotel when I've actually got a home in Birmingham with my family.

'I was in Dubai last month when I got back I quarantined at home with no problem. I should be allowed to do that again.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9261439/Welcome-Hotel-Quarantine-Heathrow-arrivals-land.html

If you are a regular international flier during these times, I just don't believe you never ever look at what possible change of rules are occurring, or that nobody in your family or friendship group would have possibly mentioned it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,952

London 30,631 45 30,676

Could you please form an orderly queue to the panic. Tea and biscuits will be served.

There's certainly no need for panic, but that is a poor return even for a Monday.

Might just be a project-shift effect.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    eek said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

If you read my posts - I wasn't the person who said that software was resalable assets - my point was that software actually doesn't have any capital value, it's really just a cost of business.
    That's a view not generally accepted, I would say. Software does have capital value under accounting rules. It makes the business more valuable.

Edit. I think maybe a misunderstanding. The ECB/EBA doesn't as far as I know think software is resalable - see my original post.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    FFS...

One of the first Britons returning to the UK to enter the hotel quarantine programme, 24-year-old quantity surveyor Alex Green, pointed out what he felt was a glaring flaw in the 'isolation' plan.

Mr Green, who has been backpacking in South America since November, will fly home from Rio via Paris tonight, but on the second leg of his journey will be in close proximity to other passengers starting from Paris, who will not then have to stay in a hotel.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9261439/Welcome-Hotel-Quarantine-Heathrow-arrivals-land.html

I honestly have no idea how to describe these people.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Meanwhile, British businessman Wayne Kelly was warned he faces a £500 fine after landing at Heathrow today from a trip to Dubai without booking a quarantine hotel.

He said he had 'no idea' about the new ten-day isolation rules for red list countries before he was handed a note by Border Force warning him to expect a fine for breaching Covid laws.

Mr Kelly, from Birmingham, said: 'I didn't know what this is all about and I still don't understand it. I came in from Dubai. I've now got a pay £1,750 to stay in a hotel.

'And this letter they've given me says I could be fined another £500. I'm trying to work and make a living. It's a terrible way to treat people.'

Mr Kelly, who works in property, claimed he hadn't been reading the papers or watching TV and knew nothing of the new quarantine rules.

'The first I realised I was going to be in this trouble was when I got off the plane,' he said. 'Now I've got this nightmare of being put into a hotel when I've actually got a home in Birmingham with my family.

'I was in Dubai last month when I got back I quarantined at home with no problem. I should be allowed to do that again.'

If you are a regular international flier during these times, I just don't believe you never ever look at what possible change of rules are occurring, or that nobody in your family or friendship group would have possibly mentioned it.

LOL, brilliant. He’s clearly not been reading the papers or listening to the radio in Dubai either then, both of which have been full of the UK quarantine story since the day it was first mooted.

Oh, and did he not question why the direct flights all got cancelled?

Idiot, trying to avoid doing the right thing. Sadly too common a story among ‘business’ people at the moment.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Re vaccines: aren't the government just sending out the letters to 65-69 year olds today? If so, numbers may tick up again later in the week.

There will be a big increase in vaccinations this week, vaccination centres have been trying to find all over 70s. they don't have to do that anymore and will be working at full tilt.

The other thing to note is that those getting a vaccine now are being given the appointment for their 2nd one, so they must be very confident of supplies.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Sandpit said:

LOL, brilliant. He’s clearly not been reading the papers or listening to the radio in Dubai either then, both of which have been full of the UK a quarantine story since the day it was first mooted.
    About as likely as the Mayor of Blackburn having just popped round to a relatives to open their front door for a relative to receive food...while a wedding just happened to be going on inside.
  • Options

felix said:

Great article.

He has.

David Mitchell ? James Corden... ?
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

What's your problem - just put a value on the software, assign ownership to said subsidiaries and use that to capitalise them.
    I'm fine with, just means a bit more work for my staff.
  • Options

felix said:

Great article.

He has.

I dinna McKenna.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,674
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Great article.

He has.

Surely Fort William is ugly enough already without taking away one of its two really beautiful natural features?
    The Scots would flock to it though.
    Why? Were you planning to put a urinal somewhere near the top so they could piss all over him?
    Not a new idea. John MacCulloch really got up the locals' noses for his remarks on their customs and lives in his 1810s-1820s books. So MacKinnon of Coirechatachan commissioned some chamberpots with MacCulloch's face in the base.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

Great article.

He has.

Matt Lucas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjIcAqMOmWA
  • Options
    FF43 said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

That's a view not generally accepted, I would say. Software does have capital value under accounting rules. It makes the business more valuable.
    Says the person who isn't a solution architect for complex computer systems.

I know software is an expensive investment for firms (which is why they capitalise it and write it off over years) but software is way more a cost of business rather than an realizable asset (like cash, gold or even stock would be).
  • Options

FFS...

One of the first Britons returning to the UK to enter the hotel quarantine programme, 24-year-old quantity surveyor Alex Green, pointed out what he felt was a glaring flaw in the 'isolation' plan.

Mr Green, who has been backpacking in South America since November, will fly home from Rio via Paris tonight, but on the second leg of his journey will be in close proximity to other passengers starting from Paris, who will not then have to stay in a hotel.

I honestly have no idea how to describe these people.

It would probably get you a ban hammer without reprieve.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

Great article.

He has.

Matt Lucas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjIcAqMOmWA
    Patrick Marber, I think, would be ideal.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Sandpit said:

LOL, brilliant. He’s clearly not been reading the papers or listening to the radio in Dubai either then, both of which have been full of the UK a quarantine story since the day it was first mooted.
    About as likely as the Mayor of Blackburn having just popped round to a relatives to open their front door for a relative to receive food...while a wedding just happened to be going on inside.
    How could you not trust the word of someone who "works in property"?
  • Options

eek said:

Easy, book the software upgrade in Amsterdam and hard cash in London.
  • Options
    I have mentioned for a while that this is something the focus groups have picked up on for months.

Dominic Cummings was instrumental in the process of awarding a government contract without tender to a company run by his “friends”, according to court documents that raise questions about whether the Cabinet Office may have misled the public.

The documents reveal the central role the prime minister’s former chief adviser played in the awarding of the contract to Public First, a research company owned and run by two of his longstanding associates.

Public First was paid £564,393 to research the public’s understanding of the coronavirus and the government’s messaging around the pandemic, and one of its partners was seconded to work in Downing Street.

The company is run by James Frayne and Rachel Wolf, who are both former colleagues of Cummings and the Cabinet Office minister, Michael Gove. In 2019 Wolf co-wrote the Conservative party’s general election manifesto.

When the Guardian and openDemocracy first revealed in July last year that Public First had been awarded a contract without tender, the Cabinet Office said in a statement it was “nonsense” to suggest the owners’ long associations with Cummings and Gove were a factor in the decision to award it a contract.

However, in a witness statement submitted to the high court on Monday as part of a judicial review of the award, Cummings described himself as the “driving decision-maker” behind the government’s decision to conduct more focus groups and hire Public First, and said his faith in the company was based on his extensive experience working with its staff.

Cummings described Frayne and Wolf as his “friends”, but added: “Obviously I did not request Public First be brought in because they were my friends. I would never do such a thing.” He said he “requested” civil servants hire the firm because, in his experience, it was the only company with the expertise to carry out the required focus groups urgently.

“The fact that I knew the key Public First people well was a bonus, not a problem,” he said, “as in such a high pressure environment trust is very important, as well as technical competence.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/15/revealed-cummings-role-handing-covid-contract-firm-run-by-friends
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Unacceptable....

All sounds fine, but the thing is, people in those positions surely have had more access to education on this subject than anyone, so it apparently hasn't worked to date. Perhaps incentives will.
  • Options

eek said:

If only it was that easy.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

LOL, brilliant. He’s clearly not been reading the papers or listening to the radio in Dubai either then, both of which have been full of the UK quarantine story since the day it was first mooted.

Idiot, trying to avoid doing the right thing. Sadly too common a story among ‘business’ people at the moment.
    Rather like those freak waves that take people by surprise. No-one could have foreseen a freak wave like that, except that they happen most days.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

There will be a big increase in vaccinations this week, vaccination centres have been trying to find all over 70s. they don't have to do that anymore and will be working at full tilt.

The other thing to note is that those getting a vaccine now are being given the appointment for their 2nd one, so they must be very confident of supplies.
    Yes. Also, this week they are catching up with the bunch of health and social care occupations only recently added to group 2. Those outwith the NHS and care homes, many self employed. This has involved taking proof to a GP before receiving an appointment.
    My partner is among this cohort. She has an appointment for Thursday. And another one for May.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Pulpstar said:

TLDR.

Good for you. Mine should be paid off by the end of the year. I know it doesn't matter that much, but I don't like being in any kind of debt.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Unacceptable....

All sounds fine, but the thing is, people in those positions surely have had more access to education on this subject than anyone, so it apparently hasn't worked to date. Perhaps incentives will.
    As long as the incentives aren't the sort that only apply if you've hung back. Otherwise, when the next vaccination programme is rolling out .....
  • Options

eek said:

A good lawyer like yourself should easily find a way of doing such a thing.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,404

During Nicola’s press conference today she talked about a two week reduction in vaccinations of around 50%, to allow for temporary production shortages while Pfizer gear up for subsequent increases, and also to ensure sufficient vaccine for the 2nd doses that are about to start. I presume the same will apply to the rest of the UK.

That seems to indicate still quite a low level of OXAZN being supplied - someone cleverer than I could no doubt work out how much. A suspicious part of me wonders if we've done an under the counter cave to the EU - just because successive UK Governments have form.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes, and in any case there are some things its reasonable to be softer to people on if they could not reasonably know the rules, but other things are serious enough it doesn't matter if they didn't know. Just how did he think he should be told the rules if he doesn't follow any news?
  • Options

Floater said:
    Unlikley. Go back to the header; yes- the EU are lagging, yes- their size, structure and decisions didn't help. But the quantity of vaccine in the pipeline over the summer is unimaginably huge. And although they are behind the UK, the vaccines are already doing what vaccines do;

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-02-15/coronavirus-outbreaks-in-spains-care-homes-fall-by-half-thanks-to-vaccination-drive.html

(One shocking titbit from the article; Spain has had about 30 k deaths in Care Homes and similar; that's getting on for half their total.)

Yes, understandably we and they are focused on being slow to roll out, but they are fortunate it won't have as big an effect as it could be.

Whilst we were unforuntate that a MASSIVE wave hit just prior to rolling out.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, and in any case there are some things its reasonable to be softer to people on if they could not reasonably know the rules, but other things are serious enough it doesn't matter if they didn't know. Just how did he think he should be told the rules if he doesn't follow any news?
    As an international flyer (in this climate) I suspect he follows the Cumming's logic that the rules are for everyone else.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Probably expected the British Ambassador to find him in Dubai with a bunch of flowers and a laptop to help him book. Even then he'd probably complain.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

He also didn’t leave the UAE yesterday, otherwise the airline wouldn’t have let him board without the quarantine booked. So he either had two separate tickets for his trip home, or was hiding out somewhere en route for a day or two, and hoping to evade capture at the airport.

His story is totally implausible.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    In case it hasn't been posted, worth taking a read of this:

https://rmbodenheimer.medium.com/a-progressive-parents-rant-about-the-politics-surrounding-school-reopening-a816cae963fd

One of the most interesting things in here is the suggestion about normally pro-Democratic parents flipping the switch if the schools don't reopen soon. The teachers' unions are suggesting schools don't reopen until the Fall and the Biden Administration doesn't seem willing to take them on, nor indeed do Governors such as Newsom and Cuomo.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Because of the various audit failures our auditors are obsessive about things like this, so it involves various accountants which costs money and time.

The buggeration factor is really high.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Flying out to the Middle East for Christmas and having to spend it in a 5 bed house and you want us to feel sorry for you....these people are unbelievable. The lack of self awareness as much as the entitled moaning.

Hotel quarantine: 'It'll cost us thousands and we'll be miles from home'

Jo Chambers is among travellers planning to return to England and will have to quarantine in a hotel when she does....Quarantine in the UAE can be done in your own home and when she and her family caught coronavirus at Christmas, that's what she did.

"We did 12 days in a five-bedroom house over Christmas when we were in quarantine and that was pretty horrific."

------------

Tony Edwards flew to Chile in December to spend some time with his wife's family.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56070698

Some people seem to treat flying around the world as a human right.

The past year I have missed out of usual trips to US plus I had travel booked to South Korea, Japan, Australia and New Zealand....so unfair....goes off in a stomp.
  • Options

Why am I not surprised that someone called Wayne, who works in property, acts like a chancer?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

It's been flagged for weeks. Anyone who went abroad knew it was a risk, and anyone with a brain would keep alert for a change.

So either he's lying, or he's thick. (Or, of course, both.)

But either way, he deserves precisely zero sympathy.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Why am I not surprised that someone called Wayne, who works in property, acts like a chancer?
    Is his surname Kerr? It should be.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Because of the various audit failures our auditors are obsessive about things like this, so it involves various accountants which costs money and time.

Just use the wirecard approach of €xbn in an Asian bank no-one has heard of before or afterwards.

Job done.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,362
    Pulpstar said:

0.45% of pop for Wales; 0.34% England; 0.58% Scotland. So a bit of a disappointing sunday (Even beyond the normal sunday effect) but Scotland catches up a little again.

This are Saturday numbers - to a high degree of probability.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171

London 30,631 45 30,676

There's certainly no need for panic, but that is a poor return even for a Monday.

We can speculate on a number of factors. The weekend (always lower). Struggling with supply. Keeping back for 2nd doses. Run out of arms as group 1-4 finish, but not widespread call for next cohort.

All are possible and probably some are right.

BUT - we don't know for sure.

Just hope its temporary and that we can get the numbers moving upwards again.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

London 30,631 45 30,676

We can speculate on a number of factors. The weekend (always lower). Struggling with supply. Keeping back for 2nd doses. Run out of arms as group 1-4 finish, but not widespread call for next cohort.

All are possible and probably some are right.

BUT - we don't know for sure.

Just hope its temporary and that we can get the numbers moving upwards again.
    I'm not worried at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I hope Government have block booked Britannia Hotels specifically for the chancers that are caught evading the quarantine rules.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Selebian said:

Floater said:

Same debate taking place in UK but the biggest issue is intergenerational fairness.

People <35 have been disproportionately affected & it's cost to them has been massive & on behalf of 60+s, already the wealthiest & now most immunised.</i>

It risks ugliness if 60+ win all round.

My son runs a bar and is under financial pressure - if this allows the bar to open for at least some clientele sooner rather than later so much the better for him and for our economy
    Yes, exactly. I do understand why for the moment the government is emphasising that it wants people to get jabbed without pressure being put on them, but the crucial point about vaccine 'passports' is that they will allow pubs, restaurants, concert halls, theatres, gyms to re-open earlier, and without the very stringent social-distancing rules which are economically and in some cases physically unviable. If we want to get things back to something like normal ASAP, we shouldn't hold back those who are already vaccinated just because some idiots aren't. Quite apart from the absurdity of having people 'all jabbed up with nowhere to go', it's an economic imperative.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    All electric Jaaaaaaaggggggggs...it doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

JLR to make Jaguar brand electric-only by 2025

None of JLR’s main factories will close. However, Castle Bromwich, a plant whose future has been in doubt as production slowed, will not build a previously announced electric version of Jaguar’s flagship XJ, or any other new models. Instead, Castle Bromwich will only produce existing models, and JLR will gradually consolidate other operations scattered around the West Midlands to the factory. Production of all Jaguar models will be concentrated in a Solihull plant.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/15/jlr-to-make-jaguar-brand-electric-only-by-2025
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

AlistairM said:

There is clearly underlying issue. Now is it Pfizer or AZN and are the government having to withhold jabs for the 2nd doses coming up?
    Maybe so. It certainly looks like my parents are going to get a 2nd jab before I even get a sniff at my 1st. Nevertheless I'm not planning to kick up a fuss. It's not a time for "me me me".
  • Options
    Just one more week of speculation before we see the Boris plan...
  • Options

I hope Government have block booked Britannia Hotels specifically for the chancers that are caught evading the quarantine rules.

Still too good for them....One of those old style Travelodges at busy motorway service stations...and all food has to come from the Little Chef next to it.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

Just use the wirecard approach of €xbn in an Asian bank no-one has heard of before or afterwards.

Job done.
    1) I would not do well in prison.

2) The scandal would kill my mother, honestly, she fainted when she opened my first ever speeding notification letter.

3) I like earning money, your suggestion would be a career ender.
This discussion has been closed.