Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Joe Biden responds to the dramatic events in Washington – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited January 2021
    Chuck Schumer says today will join December 7th 1941 'as a day that will live in infamy' and calls Trump 'undoubtedly our worst' ever President
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    HYUFD said:
    He's gone a bit eadric there.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    ElectoralCalculus has been re-launched with a new look. They also have a new forecast:

Con 308, Lab 254, LD 7, SNP 58, PC 4, Greens 1, DUP 8, SF 7, SDLP 2, Alliance 1.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/prediction_main.html
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    In any civilised country, the rule of law would have been invoked hours ago, the insurrectionist deposed (and in jail) and the ringleaders marched to the nearest court to be put on capital charges.

America's still talking about whether to invoke the 25th.

It's a disgrace that the 25th is so soggy: trusting the judgement of the VP and allowing the insurgent to retain his title is deranged. But the fact that Pence is allowed to think about it is an indictment of the entire American hostility to proper government. 250 years later: the dump is still built on the foundation of hatred to the English king and the subservience of every sane instrument of government to indulging the national teenage resentment of its long-dead parent.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

mwadams said:

Floater said:

I genuinely think there's a 50/50 chance right now the 25th will be invoked. This has gone too far.

CNN reporting "White House aides" pressed for the National Guard to be called upon, Trump wouldn't - then Pence did it by himself. This is going too far, way too far.

I don't think there are enough people brave enough in the cabinet to do it. I think they'll try to manage out the remaining fortnight.

He's lost it though - completely. All appointments cancelled, Twitter account suspended, probably being physically managed, possibly doctors in attendance. I think they'll try to shift him towards Mar-a-Lago for a rest cure if they possibly can. Really tough fortnight ahead.
    The American site I am watching just showed a tweet from I think a reporter saying sources were saying trump was not entirely in touch with reality at the moment ........
    https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/1346971954973204490?s=20
    SO did getting kicked off of Twitter send Trumpsky over the edge into full-blown madness?

MUCH worse for him than impeachment!
    Or could that be a concerted effort to delegitimise him to the press, if an arrangement's already been made to have the reins taken away from him ?

There've been multiple of these reports of his mental health suddenly coming through in the last couple of hours, and he didn't look any particuiarly more out of his mind than usual - which is fairly mad - in his broadcast a couple of hours back .
    All this talk about 25th Amendment and suchlike is media fantasy-land. By folks who are more interested in selling papers (or whatever they are selling) than anything else.
    And yet it seems reasonably plausible that some sort of temporary arrangement has been reached between other politicans. Any process by which it was Pence who took the National Guard decision looks very curious.
    Note that what Alice saw beyond the looking glass seemed reasonably plausible to her, too. Was still fantasy.
    The Chris Miller statement strongly suggests a sort of quasi 25th understanding, though. How otherwise do you explain its failure to mention trump?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    First time drama, second time farce.

Though Trumpsky will certainly NOT go gentle into that good night. Or anywhere else.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    First time I've had even a glimmer of respect for Sen. Purdue. Better late than never!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

Floater said:

I genuinely think there's a 50/50 chance right now the 25th will be invoked. This has gone too far.

CNN reporting "White House aides" pressed for the National Guard to be called upon, Trump wouldn't - then Pence did it by himself. This is going too far, way too far.

I don't think there are enough people brave enough in the cabinet to do it. I think they'll try to manage out the remaining fortnight.

He's lost it though - completely. All appointments cancelled, Twitter account suspended, probably being physically managed, possibly doctors in attendance. I think they'll try to shift him towards Mar-a-Lago for a rest cure if they possibly can. Really tough fortnight ahead.
    The American site I am watching just showed a tweet from I think a reporter saying sources were saying trump was not entirely in touch with reality at the moment ........
    https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/1346971954973204490?s=20
    SO did getting kicked off of Twitter send Trumpsky over the edge into full-blown madness?

MUCH worse for him than impeachment!
    Or could that be a concerted effort to delegitimise him to the press, if an arrangement's already been made to have the reins taken away from him ?

There've been multiple of these reports of his mental health suddenly coming through in the last couple of hours, and he didn't look any particuiarly more out of his mind than usual - which is fairly mad - in his broadcast a couple of hours back .
    All this talk about 25th Amendment and suchlike is media fantasy-land. By folks who are more interested in selling papers (or whatever they are selling) than anything else.
    And yet it seems reasonably plausible that some sort of temporary arrangement has been reached between other politicans. Any process by which it was Pence who took the National Guard decision looks very curious.
    Note that what Alice saw beyond the looking glass seemed reasonably plausible to her, too. Was still fantasy.
    The Chris Miller statement strongly suggests a sort of quasi 25th understanding, though. How otherwise do you explain its failure to mention trump?
    You may draw any inference from anything you like. Just do NOT try to sell me on the idea that either the 25th Amendment is about to be invoked OR that there is a "quasi 25th understanding" whatever the heck that is.

We should no for sure soon enough. In the meantime, keep calm. Or keep clam, if your prefer!
  • Options
    Flanner said:

In any civilised country, the rule of law would have been invoked hours ago, the insurrectionist deposed (and in jail) and the ringleaders marched to the nearest court to be put on capital charges.

America's still talking about whether to invoke the 25th.

It's a disgrace that the 25th is so soggy: trusting the judgement of the VP and allowing the insurgent to retain his title is deranged. But the fact that Pence is allowed to think about it is an indictment of the entire American hostility to proper government. 250 years later: the dump is still built on the foundation of hatred to the English king and the subservience of every sane instrument of government to indulging the national teenage resentment of its long-dead parent.

Might want to put a cork in it. Your jug of paint-thinner that is.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    edited January 2021
    Senator Loeffler just spoke, but did NOT hear what she said.

Edit - just say williamglen posting of Igor Bobic tweet.
  • Options
    Well, THAT is as telling a statement as any, on the impact of today's events.

Even though she lost last night, bet she had planned on going through with her objection. Until this afternoon.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Margaret Brennan is the host of CBS’s flagship Sunday morning politics show Face the Nation and often is the stand-in anchor for the CBS Nightly News. She’s about as heavyweight as American media gets. If she’s reporting that, pay attention.
  • Options
    Personally feel more sorrow than anger at Laurence Fox. Have caught his act a few times on PBS, and enjoyed his acting. From reading his wiki page, get sense that he's been having some personal struggles that may be related to his political angst (or visa versa).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Best to remove Trump after the ECA is certified, his failure to act on the Capitol Siege (There is no DC governor) requires it
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Margaret Brennan is the host of CBS’s flagship Sunday morning politics show Face the Nation and often is the stand-in anchor for the CBS Nightly News. She’s about as heavyweight as American media gets. If she’s reporting that, pay attention.
    Agree, she's NOT just your average talking head. Rather an above-average one.

BUT talk is cheap. Action - especially when it comes to invoking the 25th - is another matter. Color me skeptical.
  • Options

Personally feel more sorrow than anger at Laurence Fox. Have caught his act a few times on PBS, and enjoyed his acting. From reading his wiki page, get sense that he's been having some personal struggles that may be related to his political angst (or visa versa).

Cocaine is a hell of a drug (according to Popbitch)

Anyway, CBS report on 25th Amendment:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1346997656262828032
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    John Redwood has moved on from fish to apples...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1380432/brexit-news-eu-uk-trade-deal-apples-industry-orchards-john-redwood-spt

Brexit horror as hundreds of UK orchards 'slaughtered' by Brussels for EU apples' push

THE EU is responsible for decimating hundreds of British orchards and therefore killing the country's apple industry, Conservative MP John Redwood has claimed in an exclusive interview
  • Options

Cocaine is a hell of a drug (according to Popbitch)

Anyway, CBS report on 25th Amendment:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1346997656262828032
    In 1982 (think that was year) cabinet also discussed invoking 25th when Ronald Reagan was shot. Also in absence of VP. Did NOT happen, because Bush (when he did arrive) and other though it would be a BAD precedent, smacking of a insider coup.

Methinks Pence (and others) may have same objection. Esp. when there's only days left in his & Trumpsky's term.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    I don't think invoking the 25th Amendment achieves much at this point, useful as it is to show that the GOP is 'doing the right thing'. Not least it offers Trump one or two useful effects. It gets Trump off the hook of having to be seen to do a public handover and, more significantly, it increases his martyrdom status. Its just another 'i never lost, they forced me out' excuse.

The reports of potential resignations on a large scale in his administration may, however, pave the way for it to be invoked as people aim to bail by 'doing the right thing'..

Trump will financially enriched by the last few years not just in profile terms, or the loyalists who offer him a chance to get their donations. No, Trump has made some friends out there in the world that owe him and the payment is in money.

Question is, will he have his freedom for long to enjoy it?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    What on earth do they teach Americans about history?

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1346996989989429249
  • Options
    Sen. Hawley now speaking, doubling down.

PS - wonder does HYUFD still think the nomination of Mike Pence for President by GOP in 2024 inevitable after today?

Personally NEVER thought it was in the cards, let alone a sure thing. Not ruling it out mind, but it's a stretch methinks.
  • Options
    Hawley now being answered by US Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA) specifically with respect to Hawley's claims against Pennsylvania 2020 result.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

I don't think invoking the 25th Amendment achieves much at this point, useful as it is to show that the GOP is 'doing the right thing'. Not least it offers Trump one or two useful effects. It gets Trump off the hook of having to be seen to do a public handover and, more significantly, it increases his martyrdom status. Its just another 'i never lost, they forced me out' excuse.

The reports of potential resignations on a large scale in his administration may, however, pave the way for it to be invoked as people aim to bail by 'doing the right thing'..

Trump will financially enriched by the last few years not just in profile terms, or the loyalists who offer him a chance to get their donations. No, Trump has made some friends out there in the world that owe him and the payment is in money.

Question is, will he have his freedom for long to enjoy it?

Do NOT give Trumpsky excuses OR turn him into a martyr. Just to get him out the door a few days early. NOT WORTH IT.

As for ill-gotten gain, agree with his profit-making over last four year. As for his "friends" they are, like him, sharks. Like him, they'd rape their own grannies for a 5-spot. AND they will sell him out, just as he would do the same for them.

Leastways that's MY fantasy.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Much as I’d love to see Pence and the Cabinet come through and send Trump to an early bath, I must sadly agree it's not very likely. However, I do think some of the rumours being reported are an attempt to get Trump to STFU and behave himself for the next two weeks, or else. Will it work? Probably not, but it does look like the apparat, especially those in the big five-sided building across the Potomac, will do their best to simply ignore him or prevaricate as best they can until the clock finally runs out.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Not a big Macron fan most of the time - but tonight I say, God bless him! Vive la France!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    "A US Air Force veteran from San Diego has been identified as the woman who was shot and killed inside the US Capitol when Donald Trump's supporters stormed the building and violently clashed with police in a bid to stop Joe Biden's victory being certified.

Ashli Babbit was shot in the chest on Wednesday afternoon after chaotic scenes broke out when dozens of Trump supporters breached security perimeters at the Capitol. She died several hours later.

Babbit's husband confirmed her identity to San Diego news outlet KUSI. He said Babbit was a 14-year veteran who served four tours with Air Force as a 'high level security official'.

The husband said Babbit was a fervent supporter of Trump and 'a great patriot to all who knew her', KUSI reported.

It remains unclear who shot Babbit as the Metropolitan Police Department in DC conducts an investigation into her death."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9119427/Mike-Pence-REFUSES-follow-Donald-Trumps-demand-overturn-Joe-Bidens-victory.html
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    edited January 2021
    Tonight a new majority is speaking in the United State Senate.

The two new senators from the great state of Georgia have yet to take their seats, but the new majority is standing up tonight in the Senate chamber, thanks to their election yesterday, and even more to today's attack against the US Capitol and certification of the 2020 presidential vote by a mob inspired, whipped up and urged on by the President of the United States.

The Republicans appear to be shell-shocked.

Lindsay Graham is now doing a tap-dance, trying to entertain the crowd. What a piece of work. First attacks Trump, them kisses his ass, now kicks it.

He's arguing for accepting the EV result. But doing it with his usual shuck and jive.

Like Rand Paul, little Linday is now using the mob as his excuse for leaving the MAGA bus. And they are NOT alone.
  • Options
    Senate vote on objection to counting Arizona electoral votes:
    Yea = 6
    Nay = 93
    (believe Sen Purdue is still absent due to COVID)
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
  • Options
    In US House, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) is now making an ass of himself. Something he is VERY good at.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Whoa, well that’s a story I wasn’t expecting to wake up to. How on earth do protestors manage to get inside the Capitol building?

Hope everyone is okay, and that order is restored soon. A democracy is characterised by the peaceful handover of power.
  • Options
    House is now voting on motion objecting to counting the AZ EVs.

So far, over one-third of Republicans are voting Nay, along with all the Dems
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    House of Reps not voting on AZ until 11.30pm - Midnight ET.

CNN reporting Hawley will still object to PA.

If they have another 2 hours on PA then whole thing is going to take until about 3am, if not later.

They better stay and finish tonight - if they don't they are taking a gamble with the future of the USA.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    In fact House of Reps appear to be voting now on AZ - and unbelievably CNN are ignoring the vote.
This discussion has been closed.