Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Joe Biden responds to the dramatic events in Washington – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2021 in General
Joe Biden responds to the dramatic events in Washington – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    First
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274
    Second like democracy in America today.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Leon said:

As coups go, this is a bit pathetic.

Most are.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Lindsey Graham agrees with Biden

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Rep Pressley calls for Trump to be impeached immediately
    RobD said:

Seems like less of a concern at the moment.
    I made the same sort of comment as a joke earlier. To be done seriously is...something else. When it comes to assessing the various risks at play.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2021
    He's very good. Perfectly judged I would say. More in sorrow....
  • Classy bloke, wish he was POTUS today not in 14 days time.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    3 hours and we are still talking of stand offs. It’s a disgrace.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Most are.
    I remember watching the Turkish attempt on Erdogan a few years ago.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Most are.
    I remember watching the Turkish attempt on Erdogan a few years ago.
    False flag.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    DavidL said:

I think this is tricky. We all know this is not a coup as such. It's a mob. I don't think law enforcement should raise the violence if they can help it, nor should they make martyrs of these people. The best way to deal with them is for them to serve time behind bars.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    edited January 2021
    I said it over 5 years ago, Trump is deeply corrupt, really only interested in himself and would screw his country.

The US, however, can think itself lucky today. The main players in terms of organised groups within the protests at the Capitol Building clearly didn't consider their chances of getting inside too deeply. If they had the possibility of them being properly tooled up would have been near certain to lead to deaths. What was reassuring was how few of that crowd decided to go inside suggesting that the fervour of the masses is more a big day out and less revolution.

If that is so, they may get away with no deaths out of the immediate situation as I have doubts those inside will go for broke. The post mortem on security can wait another day.

• Gaussian said:

Takes too long. It should come from Pence, it could be done in minutes.
    Requires a declaration that Trump is unable to discharge the duties of his office though. Which he isn't. Although if they put him in handcuffs first ...
    The President has a duty to respect the Constitution.

Today Trump has been unable to discharge that duty. The 25th should be invoked.
  • BBC News - Covid: Llandudno vaccination centre delay prompts apology
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55567831
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Scott_xP said:
    OK, now that really is a golden shower.

Gaussian said:

Requires a declaration that Trump is unable to discharge the duties of his office though. Which he isn't. Although if they put him in handcuffs first ...

No I don't think so. Again, the heat needs to be taken out of it. We don't need more partisan politics right now which is what that would bring.
  • As I read on Twitter, the Jamiroquai album launch had got way out of hand
  • Yokes said:

I said it over 5 years ago, Trump is deeply corrupt, really only interested in himself and would screw his country.

The US, however, can think itself lucky today. The main players in terms of organised groups of the protests at the Capitol Building clearly didn't consider their chances of getting inside too deeply. If they had the possibility of them being properly tooled up would have been near certain to lead to deaths. What was reassuring was how few of that crowd decided to go inside suggesting that the fervour of the masses is more a big day out and less revolution.

If that is so, they may get away with no deaths out of the immediate situation as I have doubts those inside will go for broke. The post mortem on security can wait another day.

Yes, this so-called coup is reminiscent of a Fathers by Justice protest: invade the chamber then stand around wondering why it was so easy and what to do next.

DavidL said:

I think this is tricky. We all know this is not a coup as such. It's a mob. I don't think law enforcement should raise the violence if they can help it, nor should they make martyrs of these people. The best way to deal with them is for them to serve time behind bars.

DavidL said:

I disagree. One of the contributors on CNN was spot on. This is either the end of something or the beginning of something. If these people are allowed to walk away and are perceived to get away with this it’s more likely to be a beginning.
  • OT -- Covid -- an account of life on a Covid ward by a junior hospital was posted to pb a thread or two back. I've just got round to reading it and am struck by this paragraph:

We try to have our patients prone (lying on their fronts) since this opens up their lungs at the back and improves their oxygen levels. The patients hate proning, since the masks dig into their faces, their backs hurt and their arms go numb, and we do not have massage table-style beds with holes for their faces.
    https://unherd.com/2021/01/inside-the-covid-ward/

Surely this lack of appropriate beds is a problem that could easily be solved by any minister with a cheque book?
    Present but not involved? Nice try. Don't see that helping with him tweeting images of screen contents from Nancy Pelosi's office.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Where will the sessions making Biden president now occur and how long will it take.
    Surely the quicker the better.
  • Gaussian said:

No I don't think so. Again, the heat needs to be taken out of it. We don't need more partisan politics right now which is what that would bring.
    That's why it should come from Pence not the Democrats in the House. Not partisan, it is the GOP saying "enough is enough".
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,238
    FPT for Andy Cooke

Actually, I thought Trump's recorded speech - incendiary and irresponsible as it was, and quite possibly seditious - was clever. He trod a fine line, pretty deftly. It was not demented, it was clear and well-judged (if your entire concern is the greater wellbeing of Donald Trump)

Trump is a selfish psycho. I despise him. I always have.

But from his point of view, in terms of preserving a core vote that will be very useful if the American Establishment attempts to move against him, it was a smart speech.

Biden's speech was by far the more presidential, thank God, as he is about to be president.

As I read on Twitter, the Jamiroquai album launch had got way out of hand
    Village People, surely?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,613

I still think he's a pound shop Jefferson Davis.

Jefferson Davis actually did split the country,
    Please stop insulting Pound Shop - if you go into the local Pound Shop, you can get a bottle of Fairy liquid for a pound. Which is really useful for doing the dishes.

If you gave Jeff Davis a pound coin, he'd spend it on losing a war. No Fairy liquid. So dirty dishes in the sink....
    edited January 2021

Yokes said:

The US, however, can think itself lucky today. The main players in terms of organised groups of the protests at the Capitol Building clearly didn't consider their chances of getting inside too deeply. If they had the possibility of them being properly tooled up would have been near certain to lead to deaths. What was reassuring was how few of that crowd decided to go inside suggesting that the fervour of the masses is more a big day out and less revolution.

Yes, this so-called coup is reminiscent of a Fathers by Justice protest: invade the chamber then stand around wondering why it was so easy and what to do next.
    To a large degree, yes. However, they also went in with a particular political aim to prevent Joe Biden's election as President from being confirmed, and they succeeded, at least for a day. Many coups are less successful than that.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Gaussian said:

The heat is Trump.
  • "We love you, you are very special". They have stormed the heart of the American government. That photo of the guy walking through the building waving the flag of a foreign power who waged war against America - very special.

If it had been Antifa, or Bernie Supporters and the flag had been Palestine or China, you can imagine the reaction
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I disagree. One of the contributors on CNN was spot on. This is either the end of something or the beginning of something. If these people are allowed to walk away and are perceived to get away with this it’s more likely to be a beginning.
    US jails are not an easy ride
    One of the gentlemen who entered the Chamber was calling for Pence. I doubt Pence would ever just disavow Trump, but having to all intents and purposes had a mob set on him by the President, he really should consider how he can twist the knife into Trump somehow.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Surprised that there's any surprise. Trump suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. As I've said before. This is textbook behaviour.
  • To be honest everyone on this forum and throughout the UK should unite across the political divide and utterly condemn the sickening and tragic events promoted by the sick and destructive Donald Trump, who should have no place to hide and musr be forcefully removed, charged and imprisoned for as far as I am concerned life

Gaussian said:

The point of the 25th amendment is that the Republicans would be cleaning house itself. It would be better than impeachment for that reason.
    Leon said:

FPT for Andy Cooke

Actually, I thought Trump's recorded speech - incendiary and irresponsible as it was, and quite possibly seditious - was clever. He trod a fine line, pretty deftly. It was not demented, it was clear and well-judged (if your entire concern is the greater wellbeing of Donald Trump)

Trump is a selfish psycho. I despise him. I always have.

But from his point of view, in terms of preserving a core vote that will be very useful if the American Establishment attempts to move against him, it was a smart speech.

Biden's speech was by far the more presidential, thank God, as he is about to be president.

I don't think it was smart even on those terms by too closely associating himself with them as an extension of himself, rather than merely supporters who have gone too far.
  • I still think he's a pound shop Jefferson Davis.

Please stop insulting Pound Shop - if you go into the local Pound Shop, you can get a bottle of Fairy liquid for a pound. Which is really useful for doing the dishes.

If you gave Jeff Davis a pound coin, he'd spend it on losing a war. No Fairy liquid. So dirty dishes in the sink....
    As if I'd ever step foot in a Pound Shop.
    Impeachment carries no penalties except removal from office*. It is a complex procedure, and takes time. You wouldn't get 10% of the way through the process by 20 January. This is a nonsense proposal.

*OK and future disqualification which I suppose helps a bit.
  • DavidL said:

Gaussian said:

The point of the 25th amendment is that the Republicans would be cleaning house itself. It would be better than impeachment for that reason.
    Precisely. It would be a solely Republican affair.
  • To be honest everyone on this forum and throughout the UK should unite across the political divide and utterly condemn the sickening and tragic events promoted by the sick and destructive Donald Trump, who should have no place to hide and musr be forcefully removed, charged and imprisoned for as far as I am concerned life

I guess you haven't seen this, normally you're so hot on Welsh politics.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1346932601668308995
    And that is why the protests generally don't get out of hand and stay peaceful - overwhelming superiority in numbers and organisation at the start.

Whoever was running security at Capitol Hill today should be looking forward to an interview. Without coffee. Or a chair.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    AP - Ossoff +27K .. Warnock +64K

You might need to ask for directions

"We love you, you are very special". They have stormed the heart of the American government. That photo of the guy walking through the building waving the flag of a foreign power who waged war against America - very special.

If it had been Antifa, or Bernie Supporters and the flag had been Palestine or China, you can imagine the reaction

And again, we shouldn't be surprised. We saw the reactions to armed men barging into a statehouse last year. Just a bunch of rambunctious citizens.

Actually, in English it's "set foot", not "step foot". :lol:
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,138
    kle4 said:

"We love you, you are very special". They have stormed the heart of the American government. That photo of the guy walking through the building waving the flag of a foreign power who waged war against America - very special.

And again, we shouldn't be surprised. We saw the reactions to armed men barging into a statehouse last year. Just a bunch of rambunctious citizens.
    TSE wouldn't find any point in going into a Poundshop. There's not much benefit in shopping for about 0.5% of a single trainer shoe (if I recall his habits correctly).

I guess you haven't seen this, normally you're so hot on Welsh politics.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1346932601668308995
    No I hadn't to be honest and he is so wrong but then he was hopeless anyway
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161
    Gambling peeps. What are the odds on Pence to be the next President now then?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    The police now at last seem to be clearing the building.

But what can you say about the security?

Despite rumours of protest and trouble, no preparations seem to have been made. Even when the large crowd arrives on the Capitol steps, nothing by way of response. Protestors invade the building, while a few police stand and watch; meanwhile the authorities are debating the pros and cons of sending in the National Guard. Now the protest is nearly over, in come the troops.

How did Boris get himself appointed head of DC security?
    edited January 2021
    This is probably true. Though as others note, it isn't only historians who will thank him. Prosecutors should have an easy job on their hands.
    https://twitter.com/BridgetRSheffer/status/1346926801994407937
    Scott_xP said:
    The Vice President doesn't actually have the authority to do that....
  • kle4 said:

One of the gentlemen who entered the Chamber was calling for Pence. I doubt Pence would ever just disavow Trump, but having to all intents and purposes had a mob set on him by the President, he really should consider how he can twist the knife into Trump somehow.

Talk of suspicious devices at the RNC headquarters as well. When personal safety is threatened things can change very quickly.
    edited January 2021
    https://twitter.com/RichardGowan1/status/1346926632863485960

Apparently, as others commented below, unfair on the Canadians?
    dixiedean said:

Surprised that there's any surprise. Trump suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. As I've said before. This is textbook behaviour.

I'm always wary of diagnosing people from afar, but the way he behaves, there's something not right about it. Stable people just don't act the way he does.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2021
    The authorities now deploying tear gas and flash bangs.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    Tres said:

Next to zero. The republicans will clear house. Its more likely to be a populist without the self indulgence.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    MikeL said:

They need to get on with this now.

The Electoral Vote needs to be done today. Otherwise the next thing will be Trump will say the vote is unconstitutional.

And he'll declare martial law to stay in office.

Every time when people think Trump won't go further he does go further.

I did think about this before. If the EV vote is not done today, do any constitutional issues kick in?
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

TSE wouldn't find any point in going into a Poundshop. There's not much benefit in shopping for about 0.5% of a single trainer shoe (if I recall his habits correctly).
    He could get some fairy liquid to keep his trainers nice and clean....

One thing I always wondered about Sons of Anarchy - did Jax have a cupboard containing hundreds of pairs of trainers for when he got blood on the current ones? Every episode basically. So either he was boil washing trainers every night.....
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Tres said:

Pence can only be actual President if Trump is impeached and removed in the next two weeks. If Pence 25ths Trump, he'll be acting President but the office he holds will remain VPOTUS not POTUS.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Seems like less of a concern at the moment.
    I made the same sort of comment as a joke earlier. To be done seriously is...something else. When it comes to Jr. assessing the various risks at play.
    I suspect the PR aspect of masked federal officers would play badly

Actually 'step foot' is an older English phrase, a variation of 'footstep'.
  • Are the insurrectionists still inside the Capitol?

Scott_xP said:
    The key thing is, the Pentagon thinks he does.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,238
    edited January 2021

I don't wish to stoke this argument - and I emphasise again all these idiots at the Capitol should be arrested forthwith if they have done a crime, including one Donald Trump Esq - but we cannot ignore the context. For the last year American media, world media, social media especially, has been full of images of BLM protestors (mostly white leftists, apparently) pulling down and desecrating American icons and symbols, and pulling down statues, up to and including Abraham Lincoln, who sits at the very heart of America's self image as a "good" country. The man who literally went to war - at the expense of hundreds of thousands of American lives - to EMANCIPATE slaves.

You cannot do this shit, illegally, without expecting blowback. White America - which, remember, voted for Trump en masse despite him being (to me) an obvious, sinister lunatic - feels under attack. All its values trashed.

You may say Well they deserve this, White people are inherently racist, all they can do is apologise, but many many people will violently reject this: especially poor white religious whites, who are still a very significant part of the American population, and certainly do not feel "inherently privileged" as they work for minimum wage, at best.

Let us hope that Biden can heal these wounds. I was very doubtful, but his speech today was good. It is a frail hope, but it is all we have.

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

One thing I always wondered about Sons of Anarchy - did Jax have a cupboard containing hundreds of pairs of trainers for when he got blood on the current ones? Every episode basically. So either he was boil washing trainers every night.....
    Oh, get a new pair every week, like builders and Tesco jeans.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Just go down there every day and buy a new dish, for £1.
  • rpjs said:

Tres said:

Pence can only be actual President if Trump is impeached and removed in the next two weeks. If Pence 25ths Trump, he'll be acting President but the office he holds will remain VPOTUS not POTUS.
    A one day putch tomorrow - the House impeaches, the Senate convicts
    Scott_xP said:
    I find that very hard to believe. Even in this situation.
  • Scott_xP said:
    Unless he's invoked the 25th 🤔
  • Tres said:

Betfair has 13 (or 12/1 in old money) available against Trump leaving office before the end of his first term.
  • Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

I ordered some Fairy Liquid from Sainsbury's this week for one pound.
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Gaussian said:

Yeah if you put it that way. Next hurdle is bringing along a third each of Republican senators and reps, and the small matter of convincing Republican voters that it was the right thing to do.

Still, it's either that or giving Trump two more weeks of wreaking havoc.

Actually 'step foot' is an older English phrase, a variation of 'footstep'.
    FAKE NEWS

The Oxford English Dictionary has examples of foot-setting going back to the 1400s and of foot-stepping dating from the 1500s.

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Reminds me of one thing TV has taught me, which is that crazy people, especially crazy murderers, have extraordinary time management skills. They can live a normal life, commit amazing numbers of felonies without leaving a trace, and still have time to assemble their wall of crazy stuff for the hero to find, then remove it all before the authorities arrive and so on.
  • Given how much the Trumpians hate masks, they aren't going to last long against tear gas.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,919
    The US is deeply fortunate that Trump is incapable of actually doing the work required to prepare a fascist takeover. Because it’s clear from today’s events that a more capable President might very well now be President for Life.

As is is, it seems clear that Trump hoped to trigger a “people’s uprising” that he could ride to consolidate his hold on the machinery of government & is still capable of inciting just such an insurrection. If the rest of the US government knows what’s good for them they will remove him from office now. Invoke the 25th, whatever it takes. The mask is off; it’s entirely clear what you’re dealing with so take that absolutely seriously. The man is a menace to all of us.
  • DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    Makes sense if the 25th has been invoked.

Personally I don't think it has.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Is now the perfect moment for a thread on AV and STV?

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Oh my this will trigger Trump https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence - check the picture
  • Yokes said:

Tres said:

Next to zero. The republicans will clear house. Its more likely to be a populist without the self indulgence.
    I think he means between now and the 20th!
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Oh, get a new pair every week, like builders and Tesco jeans.
    You get a new pair of builders every week?
  • Social media news: Mike Pence (or his staffer) has changed the picture on his Twitter header to Biden and Harris.

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    Makes sense if the 25th has been invoked.

Personally I don't think it has.
    No I don’t think it has either. I also suspect that if Biden was in charge the National Guard would, well, actually be there.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

I'm always wary of diagnosing people from afar, but the way he behaves, there's something not right about it. Stable people just don't act the way he does.
    The alternative is admitting he's got a traumatised, very scared little boy to protect.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm not sure that constitutes taking control of the state broadcaster.
  • Tres said:

Betfair has 13 (or 12/1 in old money) available against Trump leaving office before the end of his first term.
    The way the 25th is written, would Trump leave office even if it was invoked?

Pence becomes Acting President not President under its procedures. If he and a majority of the Cabinet were to invoke it he could assume the President's powers for 21 days . . . but Trump's term expires in 14 anyway. Trump would technically not cease to be President.
This discussion has been closed.