Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Deal – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

One of the sections, Part 3, Section VII, of the summary is entitled.

'Surrender'.

🤭.

Versailles all over again.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

'Frostie'

Let's hope I've got over this bout of nausea by tomorrow.
    Frosties.

They're GREEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

(But he will have to change his name to Tony.....)
  • Options

No sign yet of what I presume will be horror numbers for COVID cases.

A day like today is not a day for for painful and uncomfortable COVID numbers, we can leave those at home, but I feel the hand of history upon our shoulder
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,496

stodge said:

Lots of very bitter pro EU supporters

Perhaps at this time, more than any other, a degree of conciliation would be in order rather than simply pointing out how angry some people are.

A harmonious relationship outside the political structure of the EU will, in my view, be better for both the UK and the EU than an adversarial relationship inside.

I agree but I was responding to a particular nasty response to a poster
    “lots of...” isn’t really the same thing as “a particular”, Big_G.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    Love the way the BBC balanced "Your Reaction"....bloke who has lived in Portugal for 10 years who thinks Brexit is crap, because its made UK become anti-foreigner, plus an "independent book publisher *" who thinks Brexit is crap and anti-foreigner, so he won't be able to sell any books because all the foreigners will think he is racist.

* who writes for the Guardian, but they miss that bit out.
  • Options
    Ultra Pro Eu Twitter now onto 'I always knew there would be a (crap) deal, you've all been played'. Winning hearts and minds.
  • Options
    The relief is that we can now finally stop arguing about Brexit - both our departure and our future relationship have been settled.

Now we can look forward to having arguments about why the new relationship is better or worse than the old relationship...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited December 2020
    The UK red lines are no ECJ and no long term commitments. The EU red line is to retain its leverage. The rest is, in a sense, detail.

The negotiation was about how to resolve these red lines.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,949

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Mr. HYUFD, if the choices are Deal or No Deal, I'm surprised the euro-loving Lib Dems prefer No Deal.

Davey is clearly aiming for diehard Remainers who might be put off Labour by Starmer not opposing the Deal, it is a tactical LD decision I expect. Davey is pushing for EEA
    I suppose that makes sense. Continuity Remain is all the LDs have and all they're for. Whether or not that will deliver them enough voters to keep functioning as any kind of political force is debatable.
    I think the LibDem strategy - if Lab and Con are in agreement - must always be to oppose.

Think of the Iraq war, by having a different opinion to Lab and Con, they got themselves some airtime, and when it didn't work out so well, they got themselves some votes. (If Iraq had been a success story, it wouldn't have looked so smart, of course.)
    Opposition for the sake of it doesn't guarantee success. Given that the Tories and Labour both appear enthusiastic about getting folk vaccinated against Covid, should the Lib Dems indulge the crackpot conspiracists?

Actually, with that 5G thing in Bath, I suppose they've already started. I wonder if anyone's offering odds on David Icke as their next leader?
    Sure, but whether it's Europe, or lockdown, or foreign wars, or drug legalisation, there's usually a market for a view that's not in alignment with the two big parties.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Ultra Pro Eu Twitter now onto 'I always knew there would be a (crap) deal, you've all been played'. Winning hearts and minds.

Thoughts and prayers for the David Snider tendency this Christmas:

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1342070049562099712
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

A day like today is not a day for for painful and uncomfortable COVID numbers, we can leave those at home, but I feel the hand of history upon our shoulder
    We continue to await the grim statistics - although, in the meantime, I have discovered that the BBC's user-friendly Covid case density map has been updated to incorporate a new, extra-dark, shade of red - for areas where infections are now running in excess of 1% of the whole population each week.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

A very amusing, concise, well-argued and eloquent thread by @AlastairMeeks

Concise?!!!!

Bloody hell. I'm glad you're not my editor.

Still, at least you think universal credit is tiresome. Nice chap.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Thank the universe that's over...
    Now. About that pandemic.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,388
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Boris very bouncy, and selling it well. Agree with his views or not, his mojo has returned

It is the end of a long and winding road as someone once said but the problem is we are on a new road and the destination is far from clear.

Since 1957, Europe has been at the forefront of our economic, trading, political and cultural policy-making. It was the answer to Suez which revealed our limitations as a global imperial power.

Now, while still hopefully maintaining an amicable relationship with the EU, the UK has left the political embrace (or vice-like grip if you prefer). Some will claim the TPP is the new answer moving the focus of our politics and trade to new areas of the globe. We've heard the old nonsense about CANZUK or Empire 2.0.

For me, it's about answering the tough question of what is the UK's place in the world. If it's not to be part of Europe (and we can't ignore Europe geographically much though some might like to), then what? We've a lot to offer and remain a powerful part of the most successful military alliance in modern history.

Yet economics transcends that - China, whether we like it or not, is a global economic superpower. India is coming up fast - Latin America is also moving forward. To build successful economic relationships with those powers and others looks the way forward.
    For me it's CANZUK. These nations, all under the crown, all speaking English, generally united in foreign policy (as they are so often aligned in other ways) should start a move towards political and military alliance. I’d happily make them a total federacy but that probably won’t fly. Yet.

But CANZUK would be a real force. A vast and mighty alliance. THE vital wingman for the USA. And another foe for China. And within that, introduce freedom of study between CANZUK nations, maybe leading, one day, to Freedom of Movement.
    Forgive me but I find this approach to be cretinous. Most of the issues surrounding EU membership can be summed up as 'remoteness of power from people'. Having successfully removed that layer of bureaucracy, I am baffled as to why we would seek to throw ourselves into a similar organisation. There's simply no good reason to do so, especially not to be 'THE vital wingman to the US' *excuse me whilst I puke*.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

LDs likely still to oppose the Deal, even as Labour will not oppose it

https://twitter.com/EdwardJDavey/status/1342135197945516032?s=20

So what Davey is saying is ... No deal is better than a bad deal? 😂
    Or perhaps, why should the country have to put up with a third-rate deal? Just because Johnson is lazy and useless as a negotiator?

Watch this space, and do not jump to conclusions, you unthinking Tories.
    "Johnson is a lazy and useless negotiator" is the comment of a lazy and useless commentator......
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Thoughts and prayers for the David Snider tendency this Christmas:

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1342070049562099712

A better U2 joke:

https://twitter.com/AngstromHoot/status/1337674447818543107
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Von der Leyen excellent again.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,147
    Roger said:

Von der Leyen excellent again.

Yeah. Boris was pretty good too dontchyathink?

• Options
    Starmer - Labour to accept and vote for the deal
  • Options
    Starmer will whip MPs to vote FOR the deal. This is exactly the right approach to take.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Starmer will whip MPs to vote FOR the deal. This is exactly the right approach to take.

Tricky one for Jezza....I mean he instinctively votes against anything Tory, and loves nothing more than to vote against whatever he is told to do, but Brexit...good job he hasn't got the whip.
  • Options
    Starmer to whip Labour MPs to vote for the deal.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Mr. HYUFD, if the choices are Deal or No Deal, I'm surprised the euro-loving Lib Dems prefer No Deal.

Davey is clearly aiming for diehard Remainers who might be put off Labour by Starmer not opposing the Deal, it is a tactical LD decision I expect. Davey is pushing for EEA
    I suppose that makes sense. Continuity Remain is all the LDs have and all they're for. Whether or not that will deliver them enough voters to keep functioning as any kind of political force is debatable.
    I think the LibDem strategy - if Lab and Con are in agreement - must always be to oppose.

Think of the Iraq war, by having a different opinion to Lab and Con, they got themselves some airtime, and when it didn't work out so well, they got themselves some votes. (If Iraq had been a success story, it wouldn't have looked so smart, of course.)
    Opposition for the sake of it doesn't guarantee success. Given that the Tories and Labour both appear enthusiastic about getting folk vaccinated against Covid, should the Lib Dems indulge the crackpot conspiracists?

Actually, with that 5G thing in Bath, I suppose they've already started. I wonder if anyone's offering odds on David Icke as their next leader?
    Sure, but whether it's Europe, or lockdown, or foreign wars, or drug legalisation, there's usually a market for a view that's not in alignment with the two big parties.
    True. The question is, how big a market? One could establish a political party in favour of almost any kind of nonsense as a USP, and supporters could doubtless be found for it somewhere amongst the electorate. It doesn't necessarily follow that it would be a success.
  • Options

'Frostie'

Let's hope I've got over this bout of nausea by tomorrow.
    Frosties.

They're GREEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

(But he will have to change his name to Tony.....)
    On his way home:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ze707#26668d3f
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,326
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Both Labour and Conservative parties give (at least lip service) to retraining the long term unemployed, trying to get them back to work etc.

I presume that Lib democrats policy should therefore be -

https://youtu.be/NBHHFnUqo5o?t=155
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

#FBPE twitter going to lose their minds over this
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,147

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

True. The question is, how big a market? One could establish a political party in favour of almost any kind of nonsense as a USP, and supporters could doubtless be found for it somewhere amongst the electorate. It doesn't necessarily follow that it would be a success.
    Maybe those who responded to a survey that they had been decapitated.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    When they ordered the backdrop for Starmer, did they get the font wrong?
  • Options
    glw said:

It looks like there is going to be some sort of EHIC replacement.

Despite the scaremongering dating all the way back to the referendum campaign, it was never in the interests of the likes of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece to actively try and persuade UK tourists to visit elsewhere, through introducing artificial barriers or imposing additional costs.
  • Options

We continue to await the grim statistics - although, in the meantime, I have discovered that the BBC's user-friendly Covid case density map has been updated to incorporate a new, extra-dark, shade of red - for areas where infections are now running in excess of 1% of the whole population each week.
    Patchy:

• Options

Today's Covid update: 39,036 cases and 574 deaths
  • Options
    RobD said:

'Surrender'.

🤭.

David Frost is a Francophile, he read French and History at university, he's a French plant, no wonder the French are happy with this deal.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

#FBPE twitter going to lose their minds over this
    They already have, if this afternoon is anything to go by. Everyone else is watching Morecambe and Wise and the Two Ronnies.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Isn’t that slightly down on last week?

(The straw is clutched with fierce determination.)
  • Options

RobD said:

'Surrender'.

🤭.

David Frost is a Francophile, he read French and History at university, he's a French plant, no wonder the French are happy with this deal.
    The French plant forced us to leaf with a deal?

Bastard.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like FOM is dead as far as Labour are concerned.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

On a 7-day to 7-day comparison it's up by just under 50%

On a one-day-of-the-week to same day last week comparison it's up only slightly, but this day last week included the 10,000 backlogged Welsh cases.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617

kjh said:

My sons girlfriend is Romanian. They are both doing their Ph.Ds at Cambridge. Try telling them it only has a theoretical impact.

Cambridge is interesting. Why do you think all the (mainly LibDem voting) wards in the North and West of Cambridge voted Remain ?

And all the (mainly Labour voting) wards in the East of Cambridge voted Leave ?

Suppose you were born and bought up in Cambridge. What do you think happened to rents in Cambridge as the EU poured money into Cambridge, and so created many temporary positions for many more graduate students or postdocs? All these extra people needed to be housed somewhere.

Consequently, people of modest income (& yes probably modest ability) found themselves completely priced out of rents in affluent Cambridge because of this. They had to live with their parents in cramped houses or leave the city.

More generally, the impact of the EU was usually to aid the affluent middle-classes (or soon to be middle-classes).

Such people proved unwilling or unable to share their good fortune with those who ended up worse off because of EU policies (such as apprentices or the children of low-skilled manual workers in the city of Cambridge who found themselves priced out of the rental market in the town in which they grew up.).

I think it is somewhat more nuanced than your picture.
    Sorry YBarddCwsc I wasn't ignoring you, just off to prep for tomorrow.

Your points are well made, but I wasn't dealing with that issue. I was simply referring to Philip's rather rash statement that freedom of movement issues are theoretical rather than real. For many they are really real eg a Romanian post grad. One has to have a limited circle of acquittances not to come across people impacted.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, everyone...
  • Options

Sounds to me like FOM is dead as far as Labour are concerned.

https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/607157224436285440
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,264
    edited December 2020
    Ed Davey saying it is clearly possible for the government to request a further extension

I really cannot believe he could come out with such a crass statement at 5.20pm after the deal has been announced by both sides
  • Options
  • Options
    Over half a million tests yesterday:

• Options

ydoethur said:

On a 7-day to 7-day comparison it's up by just under 50%

On a one-day-of-the-week to same day last week comparison it's up only slightly, but this day last week included the 10,000 backlogged Welsh cases.
    Shows how much attention I was able to pay last week.

Not good.
  • Options
    The new 'Turing' scheme seems much better as it not only includes Europe but is extended worldwide including the US education establishments
  • Options
    RobD said:
    However well-intentioned, I am really not sure I would have named it after Alan Turing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    However well-intentioned, I am really not sure I would have named it after Alan Turing.
    How about we name it after Rhodes, like the scholarship. ;)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    It's offensive to try to appropriate his name for something like this to score culture war points.
  • Options

Over half a million tests yesterday:

The number of patients with Covid in hospital is now just a whisker short of the April peak. Nobody's clapping for carers now though. What a fickle lot we are!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?
  • Options

The new 'Turing' scheme seems much better as it not only includes Europe but is extended worldwide including the US education establishments
    It's hard to see how sending students to the USA is going to be cheaper than sending them to France or Germany.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    geoffw said:

Executive summary - 34 pages.

Anyway it's pleasing to see The Deal welcomed up here in Scotland with all the enthusiasm one could hope for.
    Here's the EU overview of what we've retained and not retained compared with full membership:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqA-P0WWMAAu3B4?format=jpg&name=small

Obvs doesn't include what we feel we've gained in terms of freedom to do stuff that we couldn't do as members.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    It's offensive to try to appropriate his name for something like this to score culture war points.
    What? lol.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

The Labour Party should apologise. They killed Mays deal, and then voted through Boris’s deal?

Anyone in the Labour Party on here tonight can explain it? if you can’t explain it, please apologise not just to every remain voter, but every leave voter too, who hoped for something that stands up for Britain’s interests more substantially than Boris odd shaped Canada FTA.
  • Options

It's hard to see how sending students to the USA is going to be cheaper than sending them to France or Germany.
    The complaint with the previous scheme was that UK money was subsidising the scheme, so the UK was paying for EU-27 students to go to EU-27 countries.
  • Options

I expect the full details of the costs and qualification for the scheme will become known in due course but extending it worldwide is an excellent move
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?
    Don’t you think it’s slightly odd that it was named after an older man who went around picking up teenage boys?

This at a time when we are trying to stamp out lecturer-student relationships in universities because they are inappropriate.

I can’t help but feel Sophia Jex-Blake would have been an altogether more appropriate choice.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    What a strange comment from williamglenn
  • Options
    FF43 said:

“So it's a deal, but it's a thin deal, a deal that we were promised would be better but this deal is better than no deal at all.” - Drakeford

I keep hearing this "thin deal"...this is the new "hard Brexit".

"Thin Deal" because it introduces significant barriers to trade that didn't exist before.

Strictly speaking, Brexit reintroduces those barriers to trade and the deal doesn't remove them. The term, "Free Trade Agreement", is a misnomer because they don't deliver free trade. They are about selectively managing barriers to trade. Preferential Trade Agreement is a more accurate term. The only real free trade areas are the European Union and Cross-Tasman between Australia and New Zealand.
    The price of the dishwasher I intended to buy has increased by £30 today, probably due to additional costs of getting it across the border. Thin deals have costs that industry, consumers and employees will have to pay for.
  • Options

I'm not sure I can trust the judgment of the poster who thinks 'lots of' is synonymous with 'a particular'.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?
    Don’t you think it’s slightly odd that it was named after an older man who went around picking up teenage boys?

This at a time when we are trying to stamp out lecturer-student relationships in universities because they are inappropriate.

I can’t help but feel Sophia Jex-Blake would have been an altogether more appropriate choice.
    Interesting, hadn't appreciated that.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,897
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

The complaint with the previous scheme was that UK money was subsidising the scheme, so the UK was paying for EU-27 students to go to EU-27 countries.
    I'd like to see the evidence of that.

My experience of the Erasmus scheme was that most continental students were keen to come to the UK or Ireland in order to polish their English. There didn't seem to be anywhere near as much call for, for example, French students to go to Germany or vice versa. This meant that UK students were much in demand on the continent and could pretty much pick and choose where they went.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,658
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

Quite, not least because she had to qualify overseas (MD Berne) because English and Scottish unis wouldn't let her, to their shame. Maybe they don't want to be reminded.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    How about we name it after Rhodes, like the scholarship. ;)
    Lord Clive of India
  • Options

I'm not sure I can trust the judgment of the poster who thinks 'lots of' is synonymous with 'a particular'.
    With respect you do not need to trust me but maybe demonstrate I am wrong on my statement would be a better contribution
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:
    We also got the Chevening Scholars, Fulbright and Marshall.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

Quite, not least because she had to qualify overseas (MD Berne) because English and Scottish unis wouldn't let her, to their shame. Maybe they don't want to be reminded.
    Well, that was my reasoning too. Plus she was a pioneering doctor, and a woman, and a lesbian. If you really wanted to tick every diversity box, she’s perfect.

Oh, and Scottish of course.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    The ideology behind the decision is to favourise the development among young people of an Anglophobe identity instead of a European identity. Why bring Alan Turing into it? @RobD's alternative of Rhodes would have at least had the right historical resonance.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Ed Davey saying it is clearly possible for the government to request a further extension

I really cannot believe he could come out with such a crass statement at 5.20pm after the deal has been announced by both sides

Yes I agree.
    The lib dems seem to be in the same position with Ed Davey as they were with Swinson dreamland.
    The choice is no deal or this deal.
    He said they will vote against.
    They need to move on, and at least accept we have left the EU, and propose improvement to the deal or rejoin.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

Well, that was my reasoning too. Plus she was a pioneering doctor, and a woman, and a lesbian. If you really wanted to tick every diversity box, she’s perfect.

She was English, actually (it was only her initial medical training that was Scottish). But I hadn't known about her personal life. One learns something ...
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    The ideology behind the decision is to favourise the development among young people of an Anglophobe identity instead of a European identity. Why bring Alan Turing into it? @RobD's alternative of Rhodes would have at least had the right historical resonance.
    Anglophobe? LOL.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?
    I think the evidence is he had a relationship with a 19 year old which appears consensual? And not a student.

https://www.thejusticegap.com/alan-turing-and-the-condemnation-of-the-criminal-law/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Is it weird or unusual that I slightly fancy Ursula van Der Leyen?

I get this.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

RobD said:

My experience of the Erasmus scheme was that most continental students were keen to come to the UK or Ireland in order to polish their English. There didn't seem to be anywhere near as much call for, for example, French students to go to Germany or vice versa. This meant that UK students were much in demand on the continent and could pretty much pick and choose where they went.
    You can see the statistics here, Annex 18. The UK wasn't particularly popular. Another case of anecdote vs. data?

https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/381dc9a5-3f4d-11eb-b27b-01aa75ed71a1/language-en
  • Options
    edited December 2020

geoffw said:

Executive summary - 34 pages.

Anyway it's pleasing to see The Deal welcomed up here in Scotland with all the enthusiasm one could hope for.
    Here's the EU overview of what we've retained and not retained compared with full membership:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqA-P0WWMAAu3B4?format=jpg&name=small

Obvs doesn't include what we feel we've gained in terms of freedom to do stuff that we couldn't do as members.
    The problem here is the Brexiteer "gains" are negatives. No ECJ. No long term commitments. No Freedom of Movement.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Not sure why you see this as a UK v EU question

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

PS From Brexit Central IIRC too.

https://openplaques.org/plaques/1225
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Really superb header again. Enjoyable and thoughtful. Intriguing to wonder about the European Parliament.

Can they throw a spanner in the works? Perhaps I was alone in irresponsibly (sort of) wanting to see what No Deal Brexit looked like.

And more importantly - merry Christmas to all on here. Best wishes for the New Year!
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options

I expect the full details of the costs and qualification for the scheme will become known in due course but extending it worldwide is an excellent move
    And in any case there is a positive benefit of not sticking to our own backyard.
  • Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kjh said:

kjh said:

My sons girlfriend is Romanian. They are both doing their Ph.Ds at Cambridge. Try telling them it only has a theoretical impact.

Cambridge is interesting. Why do you think all the (mainly LibDem voting) wards in the North and West of Cambridge voted Remain ?

And all the (mainly Labour voting) wards in the East of Cambridge voted Leave ?

Suppose you were born and bought up in Cambridge. What do you think happened to rents in Cambridge as the EU poured money into Cambridge, and so created many temporary positions for many more graduate students or postdocs? All these extra people needed to be housed somewhere.

Consequently, people of modest income (& yes probably modest ability) found themselves completely priced out of rents in affluent Cambridge because of this. They had to live with their parents in cramped houses or leave the city.

More generally, the impact of the EU was usually to aid the affluent middle-classes (or soon to be middle-classes).

Such people proved unwilling or unable to share their good fortune with those who ended up worse off because of EU policies (such as apprentices or the children of low-skilled manual workers in the city of Cambridge who found themselves priced out of the rental market in the town in which they grew up.).

I think it is somewhat more nuanced than your picture.
    Sorry YBarddCwsc I wasn't ignoring you, just off to prep for tomorrow.

Your points are well made, but I wasn't dealing with that issue. I was simply referring to Philip's rather rash statement that freedom of movement issues are theoretical rather than real. For many they are really real eg a Romanian post grad. One has to have a limited circle of acquittances not to come across people impacted.
    There are certainly people affected. I am affected.

But, actually, your son's girlfriend is lucky -- a Romanian in her position today is unable to able for (most) PhD funding in UK Universities and will find it much more difficult to get to do a PhD in Cambridge.

The US gets a lot of bad press -- but I think it is worth saying how utterly brilliant the US universities are. They really do try to take the best people, globally, for their PhD programs. If you are Asian, European, African, Latin American, you're eligible if you're good. That really is the way to get the really best universities in the world, you recruit on a world stage and you rule no-one out on grounds of nationality.

Of course, the EU **doesn't** do this. It (effectively) builds a wall around the EU. You are privileged in you live in the EU, but that is at a cost of discriminating against those from outside e.g., Russia or America or Asia.

Just to be clear, the UK universities will be left in a very bad way unless we replace the opportunities for people from outside the UK to do PhDs here -- but we could replace them by running genuinely global & inclusive programs, as the US does.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

A lot of inadvertent comedy would be stamped out along with them if they were. I remember being out to dinner late many years ago, only to recognize that the distinguished gentleman at another table entertaining a much younger female companion was a Professor of Moral Philosophy.

Which at least meant that although he was doing wrong, he knew exactly how and why it was wrong...
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    edited December 2020

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Anglophobe? LOL.
    Anglophone! :) I should have written Anglosphere.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

A lot of inadvertent comedy would be stamped out along with them if they were. I remember being out to dinner late many years ago, only to recognize that the distinguished gentleman at another table entertaining a much younger female companion was a Professor of Moral Philosophy.

Which at least meant that although he was doing wrong, he knew exactly how and why it was wrong...
    I can only imagine that increased his delight in the relationship.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    That's how the Brexiteers see it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?
    I think the evidence is he had a relationship with a 19 year old which appears consensual? And not a student.

https://www.thejusticegap.com/alan-turing-and-the-condemnation-of-the-criminal-law/
    YDoethur is correct.

It is clear from Andrew Hodges' biography that Turing was interested in young boys. Illegal still today.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,388

A very amusing, concise, well-argued and eloquent thread by @AlastairMeeks

Concise?!!!!

Bloody hell. I'm glad you're not my editor.

Still, at least you think universal credit is tiresome. Nice chap.
    Well, I may not have read the whole thing top to bottom, but the part I did read was concise.
  • Options
    UK R

from case data

from hospital data

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,643

UK Local R

Apologies - I expect you have been asked this before but how is the order the local areas apeaar in the chart deteremined?
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,897
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

You can see the statistics here, Annex 18. The UK wasn't particularly popular. Another case of anecdote vs. data?

https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/381dc9a5-3f4d-11eb-b27b-01aa75ed71a1/language-en
    Thanks for that. In my defence, my experience was from a few decades ago :-)

Also, while the students were keen to go to the UK, that didn't mean that they actually got to go to the UK, given the limited number of places. It was just the lucky or especially talented ones that could, while we Brits could pick and choose.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    That's how the Brexiteers see it.
    I very much doubt the electorate would
This discussion has been closed.