Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Deal – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    However well-intentioned, I am really not sure I would have named it after Alan Turing.
    Why not?
    Don’t you think it’s slightly odd that it was named after an older man who went around picking up teenage boys?
    I think the evidence is he had a relationship with a 19 year old which appears consensual? And not a student.

https://www.thejusticegap.com/alan-turing-and-the-condemnation-of-the-criminal-law/
    A young homeless man he had picked up off the street and had offered money to in exchange for sex.

Yes, it was AFAIK consensual. The money was refused, after all. So today, it would not be illegal, which is why the posthumous pardon was issued (the obsession with these is a whole other can of worms).

But I can’t help feeling that a lecturer who behaved that way today would however have trouble finding work. Apart from anything else, no insurance company would cover them to work with young adults.

For that reason, like I say I wonder if it is a wise choice given others were available. It feels as though this has more to do with Johnson’s WWII obsession than careful thought and selection of an appropriate person for these circumstances.

If it were a mathematical chair at a research institute that would be rather different.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,464

UK Local R

Apologies - I expect you have been asked this before but how is the order the local areas apeaar in the chart deteremined?
    Pretty crudely - sum over the range and use that to order.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    However well-intentioned, I am really not sure I would have named it after Alan Turing.
    Why not?
    Don’t you think it’s slightly odd that it was named after an older man who went around picking up teenage boys?

This at a time when we are trying to stamp out lecturer-student relationships in universities because they are inappropriate.

I can’t help but feel Sophia Jex-Blake would have been an altogether more appropriate choice.
    A lot of inadvertent comedy would be stamped out along with them if they were. I remember being out to dinner late many years ago, only to recognize that the distinguished gentleman at another table entertaining a much younger female companion was a Professor of Moral Philosophy.

Which at least meant that although he was doing wrong, he knew exactly how and why it was wrong...
    I can only imagine that increased his delight in the relationship.

kjh said:

kjh said:

My sons girlfriend is Romanian. They are both doing their Ph.Ds at Cambridge. Try telling them it only has a theoretical impact.

Cambridge is interesting. Why do you think all the (mainly LibDem voting) wards in the North and West of Cambridge voted Remain ?

And all the (mainly Labour voting) wards in the East of Cambridge voted Leave ?

Suppose you were born and bought up in Cambridge. What do you think happened to rents in Cambridge as the EU poured money into Cambridge, and so created many temporary positions for many more graduate students or postdocs? All these extra people needed to be housed somewhere.

Consequently, people of modest income (& yes probably modest ability) found themselves completely priced out of rents in affluent Cambridge because of this. They had to live with their parents in cramped houses or leave the city.

More generally, the impact of the EU was usually to aid the affluent middle-classes (or soon to be middle-classes).

Such people proved unwilling or unable to share their good fortune with those who ended up worse off because of EU policies (such as apprentices or the children of low-skilled manual workers in the city of Cambridge who found themselves priced out of the rental market in the town in which they grew up.).

I think it is somewhat more nuanced than your picture.
    Sorry YBarddCwsc I wasn't ignoring you, just off to prep for tomorrow.

Your points are well made, but I wasn't dealing with that issue. I was simply referring to Philip's rather rash statement that freedom of movement issues are theoretical rather than real. For many they are really real eg a Romanian post grad. One has to have a limited circle of acquittances not to come across people impacted.
    There are certainly people affected. I am affected.

But, actually, your son's girlfriend is lucky -- a Romanian in her position today is unable to able for (most) PhD funding in UK Universities and will find it much more difficult to get to do a PhD in Cambridge.

The US gets a lot of bad press -- but I think it is worth saying how utterly brilliant the US universities are. They really do try to take the best people, globally, for their PhD programs. If you are Asian, European, African, Latin American, you're eligible if you're good. That really is the way to get the really best universities in the world, you recruit on a world stage and you rule no-one out on grounds of nationality.

Of course, the EU **doesn't** do this. It (effectively) builds a wall around the EU. You are privileged in you live in the EU, but that is at a cost of discriminating against those from outside e.g., Russia or America or Asia.

Just to be clear, the UK universities will be left in a very bad way unless we replace the opportunities for people from outside the UK to do PhDs here -- but we could replace them by running genuinely global & inclusive programs, as the US does.
    I can't help thinking our immigration policy should get more judgmental. We really shouldn't turn down PhD students. Or deter them from working once they have graduated.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,866
    This could work out quite well for NI . Still in the EU single market but having full access into the UK market . I’m happy that there is a deal otherwise it would have been four years in the run upto the next election of more EU hate and jingoism on steroids.

The government now needs to own everything that goes on in the UK and not have the easy option of scapegoating the EU although I expect another scapegoat will be found to replace them .
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

This at a time when we are trying to stamp out lecturer-student relationships in universities because they are inappropriate.

I can’t help but feel Sophia Jex-Blake would have been an altogether more appropriate choice.
    Quite, not least because she had to qualify overseas (MD Berne) because English and Scottish unis wouldn't let her, to their shame. Maybe they don't want to be reminded.
    Well, that was my reasoning too. Plus she was a pioneering doctor, and a woman, and a lesbian. If you really wanted to tick every diversity box, she’s perfect.

Oh, and Scottish of course.
    She was English, actually (it was only her initial medical training that was Scottish). But I hadn't known about her personal life. One learns something ...
    Really? My mistake, I thought she was from Edinburgh as well as attended uni there.

Joseph Ball made one of the great one liners on her behalf. When he was giving a lecture she and the rest of the Edinburgh Seven were attending it was disrupted by male students, who pushed a sheep into the theatre, he said genially, ‘Leave it, leave it, ‘tis more intelligent than those who brought it.’
  • Options
    Well, I'm delighted. Truly delighted.

I'm reading the (slightly more political) UK summary of the TCA at the moment. Will post more when I'm done.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Leon said:

Is it weird or unusual that I slightly fancy Ursula van Der Leyen?

I get this.
    The whole bad girl/plagiarised her PhD thing?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    It's offensive to try to appropriate his name for something like this to score culture war points.
    We is weally sowwy that we persecuted you to suicide, but look what we've done to prove that we're not like that any more. We have listened to the tank topped bum boys!
  • Options
    The next election has been blown wide open with Keir's actions today, he's taking the Red Wall seriously.

Of course Tories will still call him Captain Foresight and fence sitter but they wouldn't have voted for him anyway.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,805
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?
    I think the evidence is he had a relationship with a 19 year old which appears consensual? And not a student.

https://www.thejusticegap.com/alan-turing-and-the-condemnation-of-the-criminal-law/
    A young homeless man he had picked up off the street and had offered money to in exchange for sex.

Yes, it was AFAIK consensual. The money was refused, after all. So today, it would not be illegal, which is why the posthumous pardon was issued (the obsession with these is a whole other can of worms).

But I can’t help feeling that a lecturer who behaved that way today would however have trouble finding work. Apart from anything else, no insurance company would cover them to work with young adults.

For that reason, like I say I wonder if it is a wise choice given others were available. It feels as though this has more to do with Johnson’s WWII obsession than careful thought and selection of an appropriate person for these circumstances.

If it were a mathematical chair at a research institute that would be rather different.
    It's not as if Hodges's book had not been out - it's been available for many years.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Starmer to whip Labour MPs to vote for the deal.

The Labour Party should apologise. They killed Mays deal, and then voted through Boris’s deal?

Anyone in the Labour Party on here tonight can explain it? if you can’t explain it, please apologise not just to every remain voter, but every leave voter too, who hoped for something that stands up for Britain’s interests more substantially than Boris odd shaped Canada FTA.
    May's deal pertained to the withdrawal agreement, it was a bad deal and Labour was right to vote against it and indeed Johnson's deal too. This deal pertains to the FTA. We left the EU a year ago and the question is whether we leave with some agreement to facilitate trade or not. Personally I think it is better to abstain on this deal, so that Labour can spend the next four years pointing out what I am sure are its many flaws. But voting against it suggests we are OK with no deal.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

I'm reading the (slightly more political) UK summary of the TCA at the moment. Will post more when I'm done.

When Boris said in his press conference we have frictionless trade with the EU, he quite simply lied. And it’s not just extra administration and bureaucracy placed on British business (and from there on all of us) he’s lying about - heres the kicker, we have achieved absolutely nothing in return for becoming poorer. Under terms of Boris deal we can’t diverge from the EU ratchet clause and enjoy any freedom without an argument and the EU slapping tariffs on us.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    It's offensive to try to appropriate his name for something like this to score culture war points.
    What? lol.
    What a strange comment from williamglenn
    The ideology behind the decision is to favourise the development among young people of an Anglophobe identity instead of a European identity. Why bring Alan Turing into it? @RobD's alternative of Rhodes would have at least had the right historical resonance.
    Anglophobe? LOL.
    Anglophone! :) I should have written Anglosphere.
    There are of course places that speak Thai, Japanese, Hausa, isiZulu. Think global, buccaneering Britain. (I'd summon up the spirit of the Elizabethan adventurers if they hadn't all been caught blackbirding).
  • Options
    nico679 said:

This could work out quite well for NI . Still in the EU single market but having full access into the UK market . I’m happy that there is a deal otherwise it would have been four years in the run upto the next election of more EU hate and jingoism on steroids.

The government now needs to own everything that goes on in the UK and not have the easy option of scapegoating the EU although I expect another scapegoat will be found to replace them .

I genuinely hope we can all move on and I do hope we have a really good relationship with the EU

Time to stop being remainers and leavers, and work towards conciliation and a brighter future
  • Options
    Actually I am more of the view that Starmer took the position he did as Brexit Sec specifically to win a future leadership contest and to get rid of Corbyn. I am of that view increasingly, PB must be crying out with glee if it's true.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,710

UK Local R

Apologies - I expect you have been asked this before but how is the order the local areas apeaar in the chart deteremined?
    Pretty crudely - sum over the range and use that to order.
    Cheers. Makes sense.

Weighting the figures for more recent dates would risk upset from the partial information available for the most recent dates.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

A lot of inadvertent comedy would be stamped out along with them if they were. I remember being out to dinner late many years ago, only to recognize that the distinguished gentleman at another table entertaining a much younger female companion was a Professor of Moral Philosophy.

Which at least meant that although he was doing wrong, he knew exactly how and why it was wrong...
    When I was at Aber a lecturer in one faculty - not mine - was caught giving higher marks in exchange for sexual favours from four female students.

One of them had never actually had any boyfriend of any sort before he went to work on her. She was also a friend of mine and had to be talked out of suicide when his scheme was rumbled.

Since then I have been perhaps touchy on the subject. That still doesn’t alter the fact this opens up a can of worms that need not have been opened.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,614

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

YDoethur is correct.

It is clear from Andrew Hodges' biography that Turing was interested in young boys. Illegal still today.
    Interesting one to try and argue.

So are we going to rename

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    The ideology behind the decision is to favourise the development among young people of an Anglophobe identity instead of a European identity. Why bring Alan Turing into it? @RobD's alternative of Rhodes would have at least had the right historical resonance.
    Go the whole hog.

Henry VIII .
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Anglophobe? LOL.
    Anglophone! :) I should have written Anglosphere.
    There are of course places that speak Thai, Japanese, Hausa, isiZulu. Think global, buccaneering Britain. (I'd summon up the spirit of the Elizabethan adventurers if they hadn't all been caught blackbirding).
    I am trying to work out the Anglosphere component in going to Brazil (say) to study tropical medicine.

One of my issues with the EU (as a remainer) has always been the tendency to assume that the world consists of Europe and Other Places.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Crumbs. @Malmesbury's figures for the Thames Estuary are eye watering. There is some pretty scary doubling going on down there.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    Is it time to watch Die Hard (remainer) yet?
  • Options
    FBPE Twitter now onto 'This proves Starmer was a Brexiteer all along', everyone's had far too much excitement for one day.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    dixiedean said:

Crumbs. @Malmesbury's figures for the Thames Estuary are eye watering. There is some pretty scary doubling going on down there.

Deaths seem to be levelling off?
  • Options

geoffw said:

Executive summary - 34 pages.

Anyway it's pleasing to see The Deal welcomed up here in Scotland with all the enthusiasm one could hope for.
    Here's the EU overview of what we've retained and not retained compared with full membership:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqA-P0WWMAAu3B4?format=jpg&name=small

Obvs doesn't include what we feel we've gained in terms of freedom to do stuff that we couldn't do as members.
    That seems a fair summary. Quite a bit in the orange circles, of course.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Really? Blimey. Take a breath
  • Options

FBPE Twitter now onto 'This proves Starmer was a Brexiteer all along', everyone's had far too much excitement for one day.

I think Labour may see some slippage to the lib dems but Labour are doing the right thing
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I was referring to cases per 100k.
  • Options
    I fear how I'm imagining Coley would wish to celebrate is not fit to appear before the watershed; the word rimming may come into it.

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1342138672834109441?s=20
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

YDoethur is correct.

It is clear from Andrew Hodges' biography that Turing was interested in young boys. Illegal still today.

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Go the whole hog.

Henry VIII .
    If we want a totally inappropriate English icon, how about Edward I? Founder of England’s (as distinct from Normandy’s/Anjou’s) first proper empire?

Plus a man who carried out an early act of genocide against the Jews.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

When I was at Aber a lecturer in one faculty - not mine - was caught giving higher marks in exchange for sexual favours from four female students.

One of them had never actually had any boyfriend of any sort before he went to work on her. She was also a friend of mine and had to be talked out of suicide when his scheme was rumbled.

Since then I have been perhaps touchy on the subject. That still doesn’t alter the fact this opens up a can of worms that need not have been opened.
    Do you know how Schrodinger selected his research assistants?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

The same way Einstein did?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Ed Davey saying it is clearly possible for the government to request a further extension

I really cannot believe he could come out with such a crass statement at 5.20pm after the deal has been announced by both sides

Yes I agree.
    The lib dems seem to be in the same position with Ed Davey as they were with Swinson dreamland.
    The choice is no deal or this deal.
    He said they will vote against.
    They need to move on, and at least accept we have left the EU, and propose improvement to the deal or rejoin.
    I agree with Davey for reasons I have been making about Labour for a few days.

The deal is not the silver bullet it had been sold at. The deal will make people worse off not better off. People who made this happen will take the blame. Better to call it out for what it is now.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

When Boris said in his press conference we have frictionless trade with the EU, he quite simply lied. And it’s not just extra administration and bureaucracy placed on British business (and from there on all of us) he’s lying about - heres the kicker, we have achieved absolutely nothing in return for becoming poorer. Under terms of Boris deal we can’t diverge from the EU ratchet clause and enjoy any freedom without an argument and the EU slapping tariffs on us.
    We have gained something. We can trade with the rest of the world on whatever terms we can negotiate, and without being confined by the CU's penal external tariffs.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,185
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

YDoethur is correct.

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Go the whole hog.

Henry VIII .
    If we want a totally inappropriate English icon, how about Edward I? Founder of England’s (as distinct from Normandy’s/Anjou’s) first proper empire?

Double plus he mashed Scottish scrotums.

I've got that right haven't I?
  • Options

I think Labour may see some slippage to the lib dems but Labour are doing the right thing
    Opposing or Abstaining would be a suicide mission in the north of England. Starmer may be dull, but he isn't stupid.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I would say - haven't *started* going up. Yet.
  • Options

Opposing or Abstaining would be a suicide mission in the north of England. Starmer may be dull, but he isn't stupid.
    I agree he has to vote for
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336
    edited December 2020
    Been out today. Glorious weather.

So Brexit: who won?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1342170781728518144

So that's that then, FOM is dead and Labour now supports the Tory immigration system.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Who won?

Nobody but everybody
  • Options
    Sir Patrick Vallance, the Government's Chief Scientific Officer, has a daughter named Liberty. (A John Wayne fan, clearly...)
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Yorkcity said:

Ed Davey saying it is clearly possible for the government to request a further extension

I really cannot believe he could come out with such a crass statement at 5.20pm after the deal has been announced by both sides

Yes I agree.
    The lib dems seem to be in the same position with Ed Davey as they were with Swinson dreamland.
    They need to move on, and at least accept we have left the EU, and propose improvement to the deal or rejoin.

The deal is not the silver bullet it had been sold at. The deal will make people worse off not better off. People who made this happen will take the blame. Better to call it out for what it is now.
    But it's Christmas. And there's a pandemic and, no doubt, a lockdown, and a recession on.
    It's one less thing to worry about.
    At least for now.
    And the one thing the PM desperately wants is a political row about Brexit.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

The same way Einstein did?
    Or "Dirty Dick. Filthy Fucking Feynman".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Been snowing pretty much all day here in the NE.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    TOPPING said:

Covid
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

YDoethur is correct.

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Go the whole hog.

Henry VIII .

He was doing a fair job of Brechin up the Scots when he was Robbed.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

No it wouldn't. Brexit is "done" from the perspective of most normal people, and has been "done" for some time.

Regardless of that I think Keir is doing the right thing. Pointless opposing for the sake of it. The deal is better than no deal.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited December 2020

Yorkcity said:

Yes I agree.

Yes but a no deal would be terrible and make people even worse off.
    Davey and yourself are not facing the choice as it stands no deal or this deal
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I know. But it's curious that deaths are not sky-rocketing at the same rate.
    However maybe @Malmesbury is right and it's simply the lull before they do.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Menon and the organisation he represents always seem to give an honest and straightforward take on Brexit related events. They are one of the relatively few groups to actually improve the debate over the last few years.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

We have gained something. We can trade with the rest of the world on whatever terms we can negotiate, and without being confined by the CU's penal external tariffs.
    This certainly doesn’t end here. It will never end until every brexiteer understands what sovereignty is. It’s a currency. You put it to work for you.

We know how every pro European party leader from Thatcher to Cameron used the currency of sovereignty for the good of their citizens.

What are brexiteers doing with it? Freedom? Freedom merely to put on the handcuffs of Boris Johnsons EU trade deal, and all his other similarly bodged trade deals appears to be your answer.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yurgh.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yep. Woke up to a White Christmas (Eve).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

YDoethur is correct.

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Go the whole hog.

Henry VIII .

If and when Scotland goes independent then I propose renaming the pound to 'Longshanks'.

Oh and changing 'Decus et tutamen' with 'Malleus Scotorum'.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    geoffw said:

Roger said:

Von der Leyen excellent again.

Yeah. Boris was pretty good too dontchyathink?

Don't know. Can't stand him
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

So that's that then, FOM is dead and Labour now supports the Tory immigration system.

I don't think that's necessarily true. They will likely propose modifications to the Tory system in their manifesto.
  • Options

No it wouldn't. Brexit is "done" from the perspective of most normal people, and has been "done" for some time.

Regardless of that I think Keir is doing the right thing. Pointless opposing for the sake of it. The deal is better than no deal.
    I wonder what Jeremy would have done.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    CatMan said:

Is it time to watch Die Hard (remainer) yet?

Starring WilliamGlenn
  • Options

FOM has been dead since December 2019.
  • Options
    After careful consideration of the details in the 2000 pages which have yet to be published.....

https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1342145490310328320?s=21
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Blamed a certain mid east Country's influence?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Agreed Corbyn did that in the 2019 GE.
    Even if he was forced into it by a delusional Lib Dem party and a all conquering SNP.
  • Options

After careful consideration of the details in the 2000 pages which have yet to be published.....

Are you saying this was canned?
  • Options
    Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Ha yes. Obvs.
  • Options
    Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Is railing against the influence of the said country a reasonable substitute for policy though?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

YDoethur is correct.

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Go the whole hog.

Henry VIII .

scrotorum Scotorum malleus?!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Deaths lag cases, lets hope they don't follow the trajectory
  • Options
    You killed May’s far stronger deal, and voted for Boris Bodged deal. Explain to every remain voter how that happened Keir.

And then apologise for the mess you have made of it.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    Good that it's done.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

YDoethur is correct.

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Go the whole hog.

Henry VIII .

Edward the Second would be more fun: we used to remember him in the college prayer every week as "our memorable founder".
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    dixiedean said:

Yep. It really is a shitstorm.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,643
    This Dutch MEP on BBC is rather...
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

You killed May’s far stronger deal, and voted for Boris Bodged deal. Explain to every remain voter how that happened Keir.

Voting down May's deal was one of the many mistakes made by Remain MPs in that horrid parliament.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Yorkcity said:

Yes I agree.

Nobody expects Davey/the LibDems to argue that this is a good deal. Certainly not that it is a better deal than being in the EU, or some closely aligned alternative like EEA/Customs Union.

But the answer to that is to abstain on the grounds that you can't support it but also (given that you don't accept that no deal is a better than this "bad deal") won't obstruct its passage. And will work in future to improve the deal and stand on a platform of closer partnership with the EU. Particularly in areas (eg services) where the agreement is silent.

Voting against it on the grounds that you could have "an extension" is ridiculous. Especially given that it has been a consistent argument that the UK should have no right or expectation of a decent deal given our general presumed weak negotiating position. Why would we get a better deal with an extension now?

The sensible argument for an extension was because of COVID. It's pretty pointless now a deal has been done. That's not to say that he couldn't argue for flexibility as businesses come to terms with what they can and can't do under the new rules, and accept that there will inevitably be treaty breaches as the new arrangements bed in (not least because of the lack of customs preparedness on our side - can't speak for the EU)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

I assume it involved a box and a sample of poison attached to a Geiger counter?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

We all lost.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

YDoethur is correct.

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Go the whole hog.

Henry VIII .

Edward the Second would be more fun: we used to remember him in the college prayer every week as "our memorable founder".
    Blimey, your college had a very strange criteria for memorable. His reign was so forgettable eventually people forgot he was on the throne and Roger Mortimer took over.

About the only memorable thing about him is the alleged method of execution his wife decided to use on him.

Edit - incidentally, I assume that was Oriel? As it’s stretching a point to call him the founder of Trinity.
  • Options

Boris could have said -hold on this is a big mistake lets remain and she would argue this proves Scotland needs independence

You can also bet that if Scotland were leaving the UK she would not be saying "disrupting the economy"
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

I don't know. Are you going to let the cat out of the bag?
    That joke died on its feet.
  • Options

Sir Patrick Vallance, the Government's Chief Scientific Officer, has a daughter named Liberty. (A John Wayne fan, clearly...)

Did they do a Posh and Becks?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Rubbish
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

When you say that it worries me even more.......
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    gealbhan said:

Now, now, there's no evidence that Starmer ever had anything to do with shooting Remain twice in the back of the head by mistake...

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/960587655875629057
  • Options
    RobD said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. They will likely propose modifications to the Tory system in their manifesto.
    Quite. Acceptance and implementation of the deal doesn't mean that it is set in stone for ever. There are huge areas where the deal is silent. Many will involve things which could be developed in future to the mutual benefit of both sides. "Improving it" doesn't mean changing the current deal. It means building on it in future.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

This morning's data showed the bulk of the increase in cases in younger cohorts. Maybe that explains a possible disconnect between cases and deaths?
  • Options
    Floater said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Deaths lag cases, lets hope they don't follow the trajectory
    What are hospitalisations showing? Cases -> hospitalisations -> Deaths
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

I don't know. Are you going to let the cat out of the bag?
    Correct. Pussy was involved.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    Why not?

YDoethur is correct.

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:
    What? lol.
    Go the whole hog.

Henry VIII .

Blimey, your college had a very strange criteria for memorable. His reign was so forgettable eventually people forgot he was on the throne and Roger Mortimer took over.

About the only memorable thing about him is the alleged method of execution his wife decided to use on him.

Edit - incidentally, I assume that was Oriel? As it’s stretching a point to call him the founder of Trinity.
    Memorable is the sort of non-committal adjective I feel I should use in my reports or references.

I'll never beat my old boss who started a reference on a particularly difficult student with "NAME is very tall."
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Rubbish
    Which particular bit?

You think Boris deal stronger than Mays?

You think Labour didn’t kill off May’s deal and then vote for Boris?

I’m dealing in facts here.

The fact is the Labour Party have made a mess of their role in this, need to hold their hand up and apologise this evening.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

When you say that it worries me even more.......
    It looks absolutely awful to any lay person who can read off the numbers, let alone hospital doctors.

Oh, and on my latest hobbyhorse...

Schools and universities may need to close, on top of tier 4 restrictions, to bring the new UK coronavirus variant under control, a rapid analysis says.

The work, which is still preliminary, calculates the variant is spreading 56% faster than other forms of the virus.

The researchers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine say whether schools can stay open is the key question for the New Year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55437283
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    gealbhan said:

This might actually be better in some ways that May's deal. Hers was an easy and comfortable deal. This isn't that.

Clearly the detail is unknown and Boris will have sold out on some issues, and more important ones than fish. I think though he's achieved the basic task which was actually just making us independent.

I think historians will reckon that the EU got the better end of the stick, but that was always going to be the case. The stick is though still in play.

Whatever you think of Boris, this is one of his better days.

• Options
    RobD said:

gealbhan said:

Voting down May's deal was one of the many mistakes made by Remain MPs in that horrid parliament.
    Clearly Captain Hindsight is rubbish at the hindsight thing if he doesn’t agree with you.
  • Options
    1 of 2

So, I've now read the TCA summary by HMG. It's worth noting this is a more political document, designed to summarise and sell the Deal here, but it's still worth a read. Key takeaway for me is that both sides have put down markers to build on it in the medium-term. So it's not necessarily quite as "thin" as it will end up becoming:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948093/TCA_SUMMARY_PDF.pdf

Goods and agriculture - comprehensive. Zeros tariffs or quotas on goods meeting "rules of origin" standards, which both sides have agreed to keep as unbureaucratic as possible. It includes manufactured goods, agriculture, wine, organics, chemicals, plants, animals etc. Crucially, for the car industry, both the EU and UK have agreed that each others inputs will count "vice-versa" cumulatively towards rules of origin - which should preserve some pan-European supply chains. The main costs now will be ROO compliance checks and customs checks. But both the EU and UK have agreed a 'trusted trader' scheme that should mean only 1-2% spot checks and bureaucracy minimised. This will be particularly focused on Dover and Holyhead to assist roll-on and roll-off. They've also agree to share import and export data in the longer-term (sounds like a bit like some of Theresa's customs 'arrangement' to me) to make that even easier. Lorries can go to/from
    UK and EU and make further subsequent movements, with limitations.

Aviation and Energy - Aviation is closely knit. Aviation basics are all there on airline operation and more to come in future on maintenance provision, personnel exchange and air traffic cooperation. Energy, electricity/gas/ and renewable interconnectors and cooperation on renewables and climate change as you'd expect.

Business/short-term visitors - EHIC healthcare scheme continues. Short-term visitors
    for 90 days and temp entry/stay is facilitated. I'd imagine if this has been agreed then we'll also be able to use the EEA/Switzerland passport routes too - TBC.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,412
    edited December 2020
    2 of 2

Security and policing - Lots on police databases, Eurojust, extradition (within reason) etc. not quite the same as EAW but probably enough

Data and services - not entirely true to say there's nothing. Mutual recognition of professional qualifications is in there. Legal services trade agreed in principle, subject to EU member state limitations which were already extensive of course. It looks like financial services are TBC but both parties have committed to discuss further and codify in an MoU in future - worth noting. Data flows seem pretty liberal cross-border. Public procurement will be different in UK based on WTO but UK and EU will be able to participate mutually, and these new rules will be extended into some big private sector providers too.

Fish - looks like the UK did concede to the EU's final offer on fish of 25% at the end but phased in over 5.5 years.

Migration - future agreement to discuss asylum and border control collaboration.

EU programmes - UK will participate in Horizon, Euratom and Copernicus but not Erasmus - Turing instead. Note, there will be a UK financial contribution here. Not zero. Amount TBC.

Governance - cross retaliation is in there - it says it's limited in scope and we await the details - I presume it's also subject to arbitration to an extent but TBC. Reciprocal mechanism when subsidy causing significant harm with state aid subsidies but both will follow broad principles agreed with the other. Partnership council to govern whole agreement. Review every 5 years. Exit clause of 12 months (new Article 50). Gibraltar is outstanding, and currently excluded.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Boris could have said -hold on this is a big mistake lets remain and she would argue this proves Scotland needs independence

You can also bet that if Scotland were leaving the UK she would not be saying "disrupting the economy"
    Strange, your own government (ie the one Wangland voted for) seems to think there will be disruption to the economy.

'The government’s own analysis forecasts that a no-deal Brexit would reduce UK GDP by 7.6% after 15 years, while reaching a free trade agreement (FTA) with the EU would lead to a 4.9% decline.'

https://tinyurl.com/y7resqc6
This discussion has been closed.