Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Deal – politicalbetting.com

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,021

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

So we now have zero tariffs and quotas with the EU. What are we gonna do about tariffs on imports from other countries? Surely not keep the CET (Common External Tariff) of the EU! Abolish them all Boris! Or does that somehow compromise the FTAs Truss has got?

That's a very good question.

But can I point you to South Korea, as the poster child for the opposite approach. South Korea has very high external tariffs, but is extremely open to FTAs.

They are therefore the only country to have managed to sign them with Japan, india, the US, the EU and Australia.
    No inconsistency between high tariffs and managing to negotiate plenty of FTAs - quite the opposite in fact.
    That was exactly my point.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

So we now have zero tariffs and quotas with the EU. What are we gonna do about tariffs on imports from other countries? Surely not keep the CET (Common External Tariff) of the EU! Abolish them all Boris! Or does that somehow compromise the FTAs Truss has got?

But can I point you to South Korea, as the poster child for the opposite approach. South Korea has very high external tariffs, but is extremely open to FTAs.

They are therefore the only country to have managed to sign them with Japan, india, the US, the EU and Australia.
    No inconsistency between high tariffs and managing to negotiate plenty of FTAs - quite the opposite in fact.
    That was exactly my point.
    I suppose there's an argument to be had as whether free trade is best supported by offering low or zero tariffs to all and sundry, or agreeing FTAs to those who want them
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Santa over Edinburgh - now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,707
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Yes, there's a big incentive to get behind the tariff wall with an FTA. But SKorea has a different attitude to industrial protection and consumer welfare from that of the UK which is historically a (or the) leading advocate of free trade.
    SK's historical stance on protection can be justified in terms of the "infant industry" argument. But it is no longer in that state, being nowadays an advanced industrial nation. As far as its consumers are concerned it has, shall we say, an oriental view of their well-being.

edited to disambiguate
    As far as overseas trade is concerned, it does more than the UK.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_trade-to-GDP_ratio
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,869
    Angela Merkel will be delighted that the Germans turn at EU Presidency has seen the budget , recovery fund and rule of law mechanism voted through and a trade deal completed with the UK.

It will be very strange to see European politics without her after next June. She is a remarkable woman and will be missed.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,843

In other Vanilla gripes, have you ever been told a post is too short?? Not impressed, especially as I could have mindlessly copied and pasted a tweet which would presumably have met the length requirement! :lol:

It happens from time to time when it seems to misread the quote elements somehow.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,265

felix said:

It's quite telling that so many posts on here and on Twitter about the deal have homed in on an obscure educational exchange opportunity confined to the EU which has been replaced by one which is open to the whole world. I think Boris will be fairly content with that.
    For Remainers, the EU was about education, not trade. Who knew, these past four and a half years?
    Erasmus is a disappointing loss. My wife enjoyed the benefits of the Erasmus programme at University in Parma.

As you know I am a vile scumbag filth Remainer, so I suspect I can speak for Remainers, perhaps more than you can.

The EU is a corrupt leviathan that few of us loved with any particular enthusiasm. Indeed, trade is key and a tariff free arrangement is preferable to no deal, I believe we had a greater advantage inside rather than out, but I would say that wouldn't I.

For me freedom of movement was a big benefit personally now lost. I am not in the mood to list everything else I preferred in than out, but the list is not insubstantial.

You won, I lost! Well done. Johnson won, although he in reality, isn't any less a Euro enthusiast than I am. However his pretence has made him Prime Minister and is currently enjoying the adulation of his magnificent victory. A victory in time I believe will cost our nation dearly

Today is a sad day for me, but I accept my defeat. True, I am an unpatriotic former Remainer traitor, but I am sucking it up. Enjoy!

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    "Johnson won, although he in reality, isn't any less a Euro enthusiast than I am."

Freed from having to tag along with Brussels' determination to form a nation state and all that entails, I reckon Boris will get along with the EU rather well. There's no mileage in antagonising them further - and plenty of opportunities to build trust. We could have a rather mature relationship by the time of the next election. Expect surprises from Boris now Brexit is delivered!

Not sure where that will put Remainers. I genuinely think the EU will be very largely neutralised as an issue by 2024, because we will have a grown up arrangement. You should have good reason not to see today as a disaster. I hope that to be true anyway.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours too.
    I hope you are right. Politically, today it is a big, big win for Johnson, but I do fear for what we have lost in order to achieve this intangible called sovereignty. I am of an age, where if I can't eat it, it is of no use to me.

I'm on board, but given the chance I would like, through legitimate means, to develop closer ties, more akin to what we had as members. Now isn't the time but perhaps when the political dynamic has changed. We shall see.

Good night and Season's Greetings.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,625

Apologies to anyone who may go without me 'liking' their posts for a while - I've had to disable JavaScript as Vanilla had become unusable on my phone. I will try to find a less nuclear solution in due course.

In other Vanilla gripes, have you ever been told a post is too short?? Not impressed, especially as I could have mindlessly copied and pasted a tweet which would presumably have met the length requirement! :lol:

It means you can now read the Telegraph directly ... :smile:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Quietest trip on the A1 ever
  • Options
    Happy Christmas!
  • Options
    Charles Hawtry? Deal? Love it. I imagine you've been planning this metaphor for quite a long time!
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845
    Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

A very Merry Christmas to all in the PB posse.

Stay safe and go easy on the Quality Street.

(I've already started on the Ferrero Rocher.)

I think my diet is going to take a hell of a beating over the next few days :smiley:

Currently 8kg down - my doctor can no longer describe me as a "bit cuddly!"

One positive from this awful year I guess
    That's good going! I shifted 30kg last year, and I know it's hard work.

One can't be "good" all the time. Give yourself a few days off, then jump back on the wagon. Keep the lifestyle changes up, and in the long run you'll be fine.
    blinks 8kg is 12.5% of my body weight if I lost 30kg I would look like an inmate from belsen
    I was 90.55 down to 82.50

I need to get down to below 80 to not be classed as overweight - I was knocking on the door of the next category up which not smart as a male in his 50's in this brave new world.
    Always knocked around the 62 to 68 kg mark , not through virtue as never watched what I ate so 30 kg is a lot for me
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,738
    Enjoyed watching Phantom Of The Opera at the Royal Albert Hall tonight on Sky Arts. Never watched the channel before because it didn't use to be on FreeView.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

LDs likely still to oppose the Deal, even as Labour will not oppose it

https://twitter.com/EdwardJDavey/status/1342135197945516032?s=20

So what Davey is saying is ... No deal is better than a bad deal? 😂
    Or perhaps, why should the country have to put up with a third-rate deal? Just because Johnson is lazy and useless as a negotiator?

Watch this space, and do not jump to conclusions, you unthinking Tories.
    you finally admit
    kle4 said:

I know I shouldn't react to it, but I just cannot believe the cringyness of reactions like that of Adonis. Seriously, does he think no one in British political life uses quotations?

It's no good someone to suggest it might mean that in general the European body politic is so much more classy and civilised, since he is using that specific example as demonstrative of it, and it is a nice sentiment but entirely unexceptional behaviour. A 5 second google search can find you Jacob Rees-Mogg quoting Shakespeare, I'm sure that will convince Nats they could never leave such a civilised nation as ther UK, for example.

And if it is about being courteous, that was lovely from UvdL and Boris is typically more of a boor, but it's just pathetic to act like the defining element of Europe is courteous politics and it's unheard of here.

It's cultural cringe.
    No Adonis is appealing directly to the Red Wall - he went on a tour don't you know so he knows how much they yearn for Proust, Cervantes, Schiller.......
    And found they prefer Alf Garnett...
    No they found out what people like you think about them and voted Brexit. Four years on and you still don't get it.
    You seem to think that it's unlikely that working class people in the north of England can yearn for Proust, Cervantes or Schiller That sounds a bit metropolitan sneery.
    Quite the opposite - irony clealry not your thing.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Just watching ITV news and Boris' victory speech. He is very bullish. Von Der Leyen's concession of defeat was suitably sombre.

You must have missed the key bits of Boris when he praised the EU and emphasises our very close ties. I am not his greatest fan buton this his tone was entirely appropriate.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    You do get a different take if you just listen to the announcement like I did the first time. When I watched the video his arm movements Nd body language altered the image somewhat. Good morning, seasons greetings
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    felix said:

Just watching ITV news and Boris' victory speech. He is very bullish. Von Der Leyen's concession of defeat was suitably sombre.

You must have missed the key bits of Boris when he praised the EU and emphasises our very close ties. I am not his greatest fan buton this his tone was entirely appropriate.
    The Guardian seems to offer the stupidest/most bizarre take on the whole thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/24/borisjohnsons-vows-to-pit-uk-against-eu-in-race-for-success
This discussion has been closed.