Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The other side of the bet. The ethics of political gambling. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    edited December 2020

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It has a clear exit strategy - vaccinate people. What he's asking for is a promise that the government never change tack to increase restrictions, despite even a competent government not being omnipitent enough to guarantee that.
    I don't think so. He is merely asking for new restrictions imposed on personal liberties to be debated and agreed by parliament.

As they are, you know, in a democracy.

Many of these rules are being imposed by people who are not accountable, whose very high income and lives are not affected, and whose science is in dispute by academics of standing.

The parliamentary debate and scrutiny part is certainly a valid complaint and one which at times parliamentarians have been too supine about, but for one it is not the case they are imposed by those who are not accountable, since Boris and the Cabinet are accountable yet you persistently are pretending some unelected person is doing it, and for two, he is complaining about the lack of exit strategy as he sees it and the nature of the decisions being taken, not merely how they are being taken, so he is definitely also simply criticising the decisions in a way which is unreasonable given the government can have all the plans in the world, and they could be agreed in parliament after debate, and the situation could then change. There's a reason we have a government after all, to respond to things day to day - that doesn't mean Boris doesn't seek to avoid parliament, I agree he does, but it is pretty clear when people want more debate, and when they want control which not reasonable.
    Whitty and Vallance are not accountable, and the decisions they are taking to do not affect their incomes, pensions or careers one jot.

Whitty and Valance are advisers! You know that. The decision makers could take other decisions despite their advice, and it was reported back in September that they had done so on at least one occasion.

You simply cannot pretend that the decision makers are not the ones taking the decisions just because you dislike the people giving the advice, even if it can be hard to go against that advice. It remains advice.

Be mad at Whitty and Valance if you like, they will not be infallible. But be mad at them for what they are, and not for what they are not. It simply undermines any legitimate criticism to include illegitimate criticisms that they are in command. They are not.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

Scottish schools delayed in return after Christmas - online learning from the 11th and not back in the schools themselves until 18th.

It won’t make a difference here.

Because ultimately, the decisions in England are not about education, or children - they’re about the DfE and its ministers wanting to feel important and in charge.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Presumably when the site rages against Labour it’s all good sport right? I am utterly fed up with certain people here pretending they’re impartial.

You’re not, you’re just pro-Tory. I’m pro-Labour, at least I don’t pretend otherwise every week.

The difference is most people think for themselves.

I will attack the Tories when I disagree with them. I attacked something Boris said while he was still talking.

You, like HYUFD, seem to only care about the footballisation of it all. 'My team good your team bad'.
    HYUFD believes in tyranny of the 51%, like two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
    Sadly under our crooked voting system, the bar for tyranny is so much lower than that.
  • Options

Positive tests recorded today:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

There will be other countries with other variants.

I also wonder if Belgium has had a more infectious variant.
    And Sweden? They were doing relatively well until a couple of weeks or so ago.
    Whatever you say about Sweden, they will be in a much stronger position that us when vaccines take effect.

Their economy is far, far less shattered and broken that ours is.
    Sweden's economy contracted more than its neighbours. Why don't you say that we should copy Denmark?
    Because it's not really about protecting the economy, it's about opposing the restrictions, even if other places have done better economically than Sweden, and even if Sweden's lack of restrictions is not as extreme as some are still pretending.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973

ping said:

Scottish border closed

Who needs a referendum.....
    Setting down markers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,062
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9070527/Hundreds-Pfizer-vaccine-doses-Hampshire-GP-surgery-feared-RUINED-fridge-failed.html

Hundreds of Pfizer vaccine doses are 'RUINED' after fridge storing vials at -70C in GP surgery in Northamptonshire 'failed' forcing clinic to halt vaccinations
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ping said:

Scottish border closed

Excellent and measured presentation from Sturgeon, showing how it should be done. Only half the rates up here but no shill shallying , closing things down early regardless of her personal popularity. Great she is closing the border as well as curtailing Christmas meetings.
    Probably sensible but it saddens me I cannot travel to my beloved family in the North East of Scotland

Though I was not going to go anywhere at Christmas anyway
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Am I the only person on PB who celebrates Festivus every year.

We have the Festivus pole; the airing of the grievances; the feats of strength.

Everyone is invited.

Trouble is a lot of Wokies would see that as a serious progressive policy move, not a joke.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Whatever you say about Sweden, they will be in a much stronger position that us when vaccines take effect.

Sweden's economy contracted more than its neighbours. Why don't you say that we should copy Denmark?
    The graphic I saw showed Sweden's economy shrinking 3.5% in 2020. USA 4%

Britain? 11.5%

Our economy is getting destroyed, our budget deficit is almost unrecoverable inside a decade I reckon, if that.

Sweden might have sacrificed the golden years of some eighty year olds that we haven't, I don;t know.

But the outlook for the vast majority of their citizens is far, far, far better than ours. And that's a trade off I would have taken any day of the week.

The more sensible tory MPs are now realising than the sunlit uplands are not getting closer but further away. That they are the party that cancelled Christmas and saddled the country with a horrendous economic crisis that will take, well I shudder to think how long it will take to recover.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

This forum is raging against Boris but those doing so are mainly those who are anti brexit or on the right

It will be interesting to see the polling on this over the next few days

A quick look suggests that only one person on this forum is raging about the Tier 4 for Christmas, the other negative comments are to do with the lack of consistency coming out of Downing Street.

There is lots of "Raging against Boris" being reposted from Twitter. But thankfully this forum is not Twitter.
    There are several questions around Tier 4. For example, how long does it last? What happens when schools go back? Will it be extended to other areas, and if so, on what basis?

But truthfully, the key issue is he said he would not ‘cancel Christmas,’ made a party political point out of it, and has now had to eat his words - which shows he just doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing.
    Did he say he would not cancel Christmas technically?

Or did he just say he did not want to?

Today he is saying that although he doesn't want to, because of the news he got yesterday from Nervtag he has to.
    He stuck to what he wanted probably longer than he should have is the issue. If Drakeford got crap for changing position in Wales, Boris cannot avoid it for the UK.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

rcs1000 said:

Am I the only person on PB who celebrates Festivus every year.

We have the Festivus pole; the airing of the grievances; the feats of strength.

Everyone is invited.

Trouble is a lot of Wokies would see that as a serious progressive policy move, not a joke.
    The absolute state of this comment.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,395
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen data and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Huge call by Sturgeon about schools.

For my personal circumstances I am delighted.
  • Options
    It seems most people on here want to make political hay of this afternoon's annoucement.

I don't. I favoured a common-sense approach to Christmas, and the risk appetite of people for it was different plus, with schools closed and fewer working, the R would drop to compensate too.

No-one expected a far more contagious mutant strain to emerge. You can criticise him for being 2-4 days late, perhaps (and he might have wanted to exhaust every alternative first) but this isn't like the late lockdown 1 and very late lockdown 2.

It's just we're all much more pissed as we all wanted to see our families.
  • Options
    UK local R

• Options

malcolmg said:

ping said:

Scottish border closed

Excellent and measured presentation from Sturgeon, showing how it should be done. Only half the rates up here but no shill shallying , closing things down early regardless of her personal popularity. Great she is closing the border as well as curtailing Christmas meetings.
    Probably sensible but it saddens me I cannot travel to my beloved family in the North East of Scotland

Though I was not going to go anywhere at Christmas anyway
    Crazy going anywhere at present anyway G. Given the huge increases down south it is extremely sensible move.
    They really need to be sure they enforce these things now.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Johnson's grandstanding at PMQs looks so statesmanlike in the light of his decisions this afternoon.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

This forum is raging against Boris but those doing so are mainly those who are anti brexit or on the right

A quick look suggests that only one person on this forum is raging about the Tier 4 for Christmas, the other negative comments are to do with the lack of consistency coming out of Downing Street.

There is lots of "Raging against Boris" being reposted from Twitter. But thankfully this forum is not Twitter.
    There are several questions around Tier 4. For example, how long does it last? What happens when schools go back? Will it be extended to other areas, and if so, on what basis?

But truthfully, the key issue is he said he would not ‘cancel Christmas,’ made a party political point out of it, and has now had to eat his words - which shows he just doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing.

Today he is saying that although he doesn't want to, because of the news he got yesterday from Nervtag he has to.
    He stuck to what he wanted probably longer than he should have is the issue. If Drakeford got crap for changing position in Wales, Boris cannot avoid it for the UK.
    Boris only speaks for England.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    ydoethur said:

Scottish schools delayed in return after Christmas - online learning from the 11th and not back in the schools themselves until 18th.

It won’t make a difference here.

Because ultimately, the decisions in England are not about education, or children - they’re about the DfE and its ministers wanting to feel important and in charge.
    Gav’s threats to take Greenwich to court look even more ludicrous now than they did at the time.

It’s a shame the council didn’t call his bluff and let the court see what the government had to say on Monday.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

Boris is only PM of England in this context.

At least the argument this time is about how much notice he’s given, although I guess some will think he should cancelled Christmas for the whole of England.

Interesting that Drakeford is still allowing one day of relaxation despite Wales being in a bad place.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Again, the delay in implementing. Why midnight? 7 and a half hours is plenty of time to load up the car, flee London - and bring the new variant down to Devon for Christmas....

Could have already happened, before people knew it was a problem. Second home owners come & go all the time.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

There is a large extent to which Boris has just caught up with many people who thought things were so serious that Christmas SHOULD have already been abandoned. They can understand why he didn't want to; but will give him some credit for having had the balls to do it, knowing it will be so unpopular.

"Folks, I really, really tried to protect your Christmas, but this thing...it's a bastard."
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    kle4 said:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Because it's not really about protecting the economy, it's about opposing the restrictions, even if other places have done better economically than Sweden, and even if Sweden's lack of restrictions is not as extreme as some are still pretending.
    Sweden's economy will contract I think about 3.50% in 2020. USA 4.00%

Britain? 11.5% and counting. Deficit? 400bn. Debt? two trillion and counting. The deficit in particular is a total, total nightmare. How do we go from spending 400bn pounds a year more than we earn, to balancing the books, with a shattered and broken economy? With confidence utterly destroyed because businesses invested millions only to have governments shut them down again?

You can hide away from these numbers if you want. I'm not. And I reckon the voters aren't. They can see where government by protecting the NHS is getting them. Bankruptcy, penury, poverty insolvency.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

Boris is only PM of England in this context.

At least the argument this time is about how much notice he’s given, although I guess some will think he should cancelled Christmas for the whole of England.

Interesting that Drakeford is still allowing one day of relaxation despite Wales being in a bad place.
    Indeed the South of Wales is every bit as bad as Kent.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,208

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Starmer on fire. Controlled anger and contempt.

Speaking for a nation.

Has he mentioned unrestricted entry into the UK yet ?

Or does he still support it.
    Why are you obsessed with the "foreign invader" aspect of the virus?

Just seems a bit odd to me. It's relevant, sure, but still.
    As you say its relevant.

And Starmer has completely ignored it ?

Why is that ? Its been an open goal since March.
    I genuinely don't know. Perhaps he doesn't see it as a priority compared to the things he IS majoring on.

What do you think the reason is?
    I assume Starmer is some variant of freedom of movement / have to be 'open for business' / globalist sociopath / doesn't want to upset holiday obsessives.

There are plenty of them throughout the Westminster establishment.
    Doubt it's quite that. Can't see what he'd gain. Could be more that international travel being low and us being no less virus struck than most other countries means that the domestic situation is the priority. Think that's more likely than Starmer being a globalist psychopath or scared of middle class skiers.
  • Options

It seems most people on here want to make political hay of this afternoon's annoucement.

I don't. I favoured a common-sense approach to Christmas, and the risk appetite of people for it was different plus, with schools closed and fewer working, the R would drop to compensate too.

No-one expected a far more contagious mutant strain to emerge. You can criticise him for being 2-4 days late, perhaps (and he might have wanted to exhaust every alternative first) but this isn't like the late lockdown 1 and very late lockdown 2.

It's just we're all much more pissed as we all wanted to see our families.

Good post and very true
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Britain? 11.5%

Our economy is getting destroyed, our budget deficit is almost unrecoverable inside a decade I reckon, if that.

Sweden might have sacrificed the golden years of some eighty year olds that we haven't, I don;t know.

But the outlook for the vast majority of their citizens is far, far, far better than ours. And that's a trade off I would have taken any day of the week.

The more sensible tory MPs are now realising than the sunlit uplands are not getting closer but further away. That they are the party that cancelled Christmas and saddled the country with a horrendous economic crisis that will take, well I shudder to think how long it will take to recover.
    Surely the big question is how quickly the economy bounces back. I was surprised how relaxed Mervyn (credit crunch deficit hawk) King seemed about it.
  • Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospitalisation data

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

Surely we can’t be going for No Deal in 12 days under these circumstances?

Perfect timing for it.
    Hardly loads of truckers huddling together seems the opposite to me.
    Why should the truckers huddle together?

Why aren't trucks socially distanced?

If loads of trucks are going to clog up the roads then having all the locals at home keeping the streets clear otherwise seems pretty perfect.
    They will get out and speak to their fellow workers.
    Can not imagine they will sit in their lorry alone for days.
  • Options
    If I'm right, and you're in a Tier 1 area like Cornwall, the Isle of Wight or Herefordshire, then I think provided all your family live within it you can still have a pretty normal Christmas - including staying overnight.

Rule of six still applies though.

For Tier 2, there's nothing to stop you driving over Christmas Eve and Boxing Day too, and going for a walk to the park or swings, and bring a hipflask and cold turkey sandwiches with you. Again in rules of six.

So it won't be *totally* shit for about a third of us.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,624
    edited December 2020
    Looking at the tier map, it seems strange to have so many border areas between tiers 4 and 2.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9070685/Boris-cancels-Xmas-England-amid-mutant-Covid-fears.html
  • Options
    Alistair said:

She was very professional and came across well, she is certainly on top of her brief. Good to see her ramping up early rather than taking easy option and saying our levels were lower. Unbelievable the comparison between her and Boris. he sounded a bit better today but still cannot master being serious and always looks as if he will burst in to a smirk and start joking. He just cannot help trying to come across as chummy.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Perfect timing for it.

If loads of trucks are going to clog up the roads then having all the locals at home keeping the streets clear otherwise seems pretty perfect.
    They will need to socially distance.

And the roads should be clearer of any other traffic.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,062

IanB2 said:

Boris Johnson. Worse PM than May

You'd say that about any Tory PM.
    Major is the last one I can remember being an improvement
    Major an improvement on Thatcher.

Lol.
    Did you think Blair was an improvement on Major?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The SNP have to find a way to have Indyref2 in this parliament as they cannot afford to waste Johnson. He is an absolute machine at generating secessionist sentiment.

They can't, without UK government consent any referendum would be illegal and Unionist voters would boycott it.

The pro independence side won the 2017 Catalan independence referendum but without consent from the Spanish government it was illegal and Spanish Unionist voters boycotted it
    If you are using Spain as an example of how a modern first world Government should behave then you have already lost the argument.
    No, as Catalonia remains part of Spain
    And support for independence has increased within the region. Way to go. Meanwhile the Spanish government are viewed as little better than Franco.
    There is now a Socialist government in power in Spain who have started talks with Catalan nationalists.

However the PP conservative government that were in power in Spain in 2017 and refused a legal Catalan independence referendum are the sister party of the UK Tories, the Spanish Socialists are the sister party of UK Labour
    Sadly it seems that both parties - PP and the Tories - are looking to be the grandchildren of Franco.
  • Options

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Britain? 11.5%

Surely the big question is how quickly the economy bounces back. I was surprised how relaxed Mervyn (credit crunch deficit hawk) King seemed about it.
    Indeed. Plus international comparisons are difficult in this kind of pandemic as countries measure things like services etc that have been disrupted differently.

At times like this straight international comparisons aren't necessarily comparing like with like.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

ping said:

Scottish border closed

@HYUFD get the tanks up there quick
    Sturgeon can do what she wants within her powers as FM at Holyrood, it is merely a legal indyref2 she will not be allowed to hold as per the once in a generation 2014 vote
  • Options

kle4 said:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Britain? 11.5% and counting. Deficit? 400bn. Debt? two trillion and counting. The deficit in particular is a total, total nightmare. How do we go from spending 400bn pounds a year more than we earn, to balancing the books, with a shattered and broken economy? With confidence utterly destroyed because businesses invested millions only to have governments shut them down again?

You can hide away from these numbers if you want. I'm not. And I reckon the voters aren't. They can see where government by protecting the NHS is getting them. Bankruptcy, penury, poverty insolvency.
    Certainly going to be tough times ahead for millions of people.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Lol.
    Surely you can accept Maggie wasn't to everyone's taste. In fairness she'd probably accept that herself. I believe Robin Butler said he regarded Major as the best negotiator amongst the Prime ministers he'd dealt with. Still took us into the ERM at a disastrous rate (as Chancellor)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

To be honest I think the reaction is very gentle given his attitude at PMQs a little over 48 hours ago.
    Yes it's that. For me it is anyway. I support the restrictions. The choice was this or be tougher.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    edited December 2020

IanB2 said:

Lol.
    Yes.

Edit: didn't mean I agreed with his *politics* but he was more skilled and competent at the job, and he got better with time.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Lol.
    They were both lying in the gutter. Sadly, neither of them were looking at the stars.
  • Options
    Does the closed border by Scotland mean that subsidies from England have to stay in England?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Speaking for a nation.

As you say its relevant.

I genuinely don't know. Perhaps he doesn't see it as a priority compared to the things he IS majoring on.

I assume Starmer is some variant of freedom of movement / have to be 'open for business' / globalist sociopath / doesn't want to upset holiday obsessives.

Doubt it's quite that. Can't see what he'd gain. Could be more that international travel being low and us being no less virus struck than most other countries means that the domestic situation is the priority. Think that's more likely than Starmer being a globalist psychopath or scared of middle class skiers.
    International travel was high enough for covid to be imported again during the summer.
  • Options

Again, the delay in implementing. Why midnight? 7 and a half hours is plenty of time to load up the car, flee London - and bring the new variant down to Devon for Christmas....

I expect to see photos in papers tomorrow of traffic jams for exits out of London.
    Happened in Paris...
    IIRC correctly, the pictures of the Paris "exodus" turned out to be bullshit - normal traffic jams at commute times etc...
  • Options
    edited December 2020

IanB2 said:

Lol.
    Thatcher was evil, country needed fixing but she was cold hearted and decided that it was the poor that would be used to fix it, heartless and evil to the core.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    edited December 2020

kle4 said:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Thankfully we have adults in charge and in opposition rather than your infantile and dangerous ideas.

Edit: I know some will, with justification, laugh at the description of Johnson as an adult but compared to the Covid deniers like Contrarian he is an intellectual Titan.

And that is the only time you will ever hear me refer to him in that way.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Perfect timing for it.

Of course. We Kent people don't have jobs. Don't go to hospitals. Don't go shopping for food. The M20 is unique in that no-one uses it to travel to and from work, or get to a hospital, or the supermarket. Why, just the other week when I had to travel to the William Harvey Hospital, I deliberately avoided the M20 to take the backroads through Wye and Brook just for the scenery.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Lol.
    Surely you can accept Maggie wasn't to everyone's taste. In fairness she'd probably accept that herself. I believe Robin Butler said he regarded Major as the best negotiator amongst the Prime ministers he'd dealt with. Still took us into the ERM at a disastrous rate (as Chancellor)
    Yes, but we need to apply some tests here.

If we're saying "worst PM" means I really really disagree with the policies they pursued then I'd put Heath first, Blair second, and Brown third, in the last 50 years.

If we're saying (which I think objectively we are) competent at the job then I'd put Thatcher right up there, with Blair a distant second, Cameron an even more distant third. Major as tolerable but not better. And Brown/May and Boris in the crap category.

Wilson and Callaghan are meh. Can't even be bothered to score their performance in the 70s.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

She was very professional and came across well, she is certainly on top of her brief. Good to see her ramping up early rather than taking easy option and saying our levels were lower. Unbelievable the comparison between her and Boris. he sounded a bit better today but still cannot master being serious and always looks as if he will burst in to a smirk and start joking. He just cannot help trying to come across as chummy.
    Sturgeon was a class above. Clear, concise and absolutely to the point.
  • Options
    It's ironic that some thought a no deal Brexit would lead to a national lockdown whereas now it looks as though we'll be heading to no deal in the middle of one already.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    malcolmg said:

ping said:

Scottish border closed

Yes, no shilly shallying, cancels Christmas as soon as Boris has given her cover to do so - real leadership.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Everybody is taking a hit from covid. Of course they are.

Did ours have to be so bad? it absolutely did not. Might we have lost some more people over eighty who had some years left? maybe

But in the coming years, with covid gone, we will lose many, many hundreds of thousands more because of our shattered and broken state.

Maybe millions.

Nobody is talking about the numbers right now. Why? because they are almost unimaginably big.

• Options
    Maybe the least damaging way to leave the EU without a deal is during a national lockdown?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That message is almost a satire of itself.
  • Options

It's ironic that some thought a no deal Brexit would lead to a national lockdown whereas now it looks as though we'll be heading to no deal in the middle of one already.

I reckon there'll be a third national lockdown for at least 2 weeks on 30th December.

There will be very good medical and political reasons for it.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

ping said:

Sports fixtures screwed, presumably.

I don't see why. This is November style restrictions not March style.

Professional sport was allowed in November.

Tier 5 presumably would be March style and would close sport.
    I thought travel was banned though?
    I think that was the point, rather than banning sport per se.
    Travel for work isn't banned. Professional athletes going to a fixture is for work.
    Professional sport wouldn't be banned under any tier. The reason it stopped in March is because we were dealing with an unknown and they needed to put protocols in place, and to reassure the participants of their safety. Professional sport has probably a negligible effect on virus spread in itself.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,745

malcolmg said:

ping said:

Scottish border closed

Yes, no shilly shallying, cancels Christmas as soon as Boris has given her cover to do so - real leadership.
    Eh? She hasn't cancelled Christmas. You're projecting.

• Options

Does the closed border by Scotland mean that subsidies from England have to stay in England?

Away you cretinous clown , think yourself lucky she did not say we would stop sending our money to fund England. England does not subsidise Scotland , it borrows money like a drunk man and then pretends it is Scotland that owes it. We send lots more money down south than we ever get back. So you can F8ck right off.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

To join the chorus of grumbles, it is really absurd treating all of Wales the same.

Gwynedd would be in Tier 1 or Tier 2 if in England. Instead, we have been placed in Full Lockdown

Ynys Mon has a rate lower than Cornwall which is in Tier 1. Instead, Ynys Mon is in Full Lockdown.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/ZacGoldsmith/status/1340346440422440960

Neville Chamberlain, David Lloyd George, Winston Churchill, Clement Attlee and Margaret Thatcher all raise eyebrows.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Could have already happened, before people knew it was a problem. Second home owners come & go all the time.
    Define a second home owner. We had this conversation a while back. It's not as clearcut as some might think.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    ping said:

Scottish border closed

Thank god. An end to cultural cross-contamination.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Did ours have to be so bad? it absolutely did not. Might we have lost some more people over eighty who had some years left? maybe

But in the coming years, with covid gone, we will lose many, many hundreds of thousands more because of our shattered and broken state.

Maybe millions.

Nobody is talking about the numbers right now. Why? because they are almost unimaginably big.

Because they are bullshit. Plucked from your own deranged imagination.
  • Options
    As far as i'm concerned the issue re: Johnson and the Govt isn't the decision itself - the new strain is justification enough for that. It is the complete lack of foresight that this might happen and ridiculous political posturing that preceded it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    That message is almost a satire of itself.
    J C Flannel alive and well in Canterbury.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options
    Again, not a medical man, but from my schoolboy science and general knowledge a virus mutates through replication and evolution.

Therefore, the fewer infections and transmissions we have the less chance it has to "experiment" the f**k out of itself such that the bastard works out what's most effective.

That means we need to vaccinate everyone - quickly.

Starve it to death.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

kle4 said:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Thankfully we have adults in charge and in opposition rather than your infantile and dangerous ideas.
    Faced with the numbers, faced with awful economic situation we are really in, all you have left is insults. What's your idea on how to close our deficit after covid? what's your idea how we can ever start paying back the enormous debts we have racked up.

Or is it that you don't want to think about these because they are too frightening?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    It started there.
  • Options

On a point of law, is all this enforceable or advice

I am not qualified to say

Law but not policed, I think. So trust really. Which is why I find the "loss of liberty" arguments a bit precious.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

Scottish border closed

@HYUFD get the tanks up there quick
    Sturgeon can do what she wants within her powers as FM at Holyrood, it is merely a legal indyref2 she will not be allowed to hold as per the once in a generation 2014 vote
    More lies, vicar?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Maybe millions.

Afraid I am not up for killing people so some punters can hold onto cash / make money. You should be ranting at the Tories who are filling their boots, their friends and families boots. They are making hay while they can at the expense of the public. There will be none of them poor and broken for sure, greedy , grasping evil gits.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Lol.
    Thatcher was evil, country needed fixing but she was cold hearted and decided that it was the poor that would be used to fix it, heartless and evil to the core.
    Thatcher was our greatest postwar PM, took us from one of the lowest gdp per capitas in Europe in 1979 to one of the highest in 1990 and curbed union power and strikes.

She was also one of only 3 UK PMs in the last 100 years who can truly be said to have had global recognition on the world stage along with Winston Churchill and Tony Blair, possibly Boris as well but time will tell
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I was going to say that the cynical-minded will probably dwell on the fact that they managed to get through most of the Christmas shopping period at least, although then I remembered that in many areas they actually only just re-opened non-essential shops anyway...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Lol.
    Given the letter of recrimination and begging he wrote to the Commission President in 1996 moaning about how he had been hoodwinked in the negotiations I would suggest he was no where near as good a negotiator as Butler believed.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    alex_ said:
    Bit late to do that now. The time for somebody organising the election fraud was before the election.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Presumably when the site rages against Labour it’s all good sport right? I am utterly fed up with certain people here pretending they’re impartial.

You’re not, you’re just pro-Tory. I’m pro-Labour, at least I don’t pretend otherwise every week.

The difference is most people think for themselves.

I will attack the Tories when I disagree with them. I attacked something Boris said while he was still talking.

You, like HYUFD, seem to only care about the footballisation of it all. 'My team good your team bad'.
    I agree with your last sentence. The same applies, as I'm sure you'll recognise, to Boris Johnson, who is constantly "footbalising" it, as in 'you want to cancel Xmas, you want to criminalise people', and his constant, embarrasing pronouncements that 'our team is world-beating, the best in the world'. He thrives on adversity, which is not well suited to dealing with Covid.
  • Options

kle4 said:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

Faced with the numbers, faced with awful economic situation we are really in, all you have left is insults. What's your idea on how to close our deficit after covid? what's your idea how we can ever start paying back the enormous debts we have racked up.

Or is it that you don't want to think about these because they are too frightening?
    You are not open to any form of reasoned argument. You have shown that very clearly on here. So pointing out that your infantile views are not welcome seems to be the only logical response.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020
    DougSeal said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Perfect timing for it.

Of course. We Kent people don't have jobs. Don't go to hospitals. Don't go shopping for food. The M20 is unique in that no-one uses it to travel to and from work, or get to a hospital, or the supermarket. Why, just the other week when I had to travel to the William Harvey Hospital, I deliberately avoided the M20 to take the backroads through Wye and Brook just for the scenery.
    Those issues are going to happen whenever the Brexit bandage that Kent voters overwhelmingly voted for finally gets pulled off.

In the event this disruption happens in January while you're in Tier 4 then those back roads will have less traffic to deal with than if it happened in normal circumstances.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Speaking for a nation.

As you say its relevant.

International travel was high enough for covid to be imported again during the summer.
    One factor in the pick up since August. Many others. Thing is, no mixing and no travel anywhere on the planet is best for virus suppression. We know that.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

Define a second home owner. We had this conversation a while back. It's not as clearcut as some might think.
    Definition of a term isn't the point. The point is the movement of people.

I was thinking of near neighbours of mine, who returned to their home in the south east a couple of days ago after spending a few days here. No reason why they shouldn't have come & gone as they pleased. They aren't the only ones by a long chalk.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,817
    kle4 said:

UK 27k
    NL12k - 49k if scaled up
    CZ 9k - 54k if scaled up

The frustrating part of the entire conversation with them is this:
    - Norway, Finland, and Denmark have not only done much better on protecting lives and protecting their economy, they have, by going harder earlier, put themselves in a position to have FEWER restrictions since then than Sweden!
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Pagan2 said:

People have already made plans for christmas. Its easier not to make a plan than cancel plans so I think a high percentage are going to be saying sod it and still going ahead frankly so I doubt this tightening is going to go anywhere near denting the rise in cases. Prepare for further measures in january

Significant numbers of people have been saying "sod it " to the regulations since March which is a major factor in explaining why we are where we are.

When the history of this period is written I suspect that what historians will find incredible is why, when faced with a pandemic that is decimating the world economy and killing thousands, so many human beings failed to take it seriously and either through stupidity or selfishness acted totally irresponsibly.

Who knows where this might end but I suspect we will look back at people marching round protesting about being asked to wear a mask and think WTF were they thinking.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

DougSeal said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Perfect timing for it.

Those issues are going to happen whenever the Brexit bandage that Kent voters overwhelmingly voted for finally gets pulled off.

In the event this disruption happens in January while you're in Tier 4 then those back roads will have less traffic to deal with than if it happened in normal circumstances.
    No they won't.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Evening all :)

Disappointing though hardly unexpected. The Sun had most of the key points last evening. In a sense, it's more Tier 3+ than Tier 4. It's November rather than March in terms of restrictions. Work continues though given the time of year that won't be too significant - the construction industry for example has already shut up shop.

We'll have the King George at Kempton next Saturday presumably but it's puzzling because while it could be an elite sport, I don't see how Owners can attend a Tier 4 venue when we're not supposed to be travelling.

As always, there are contradictions and anomalies aplenty to be resolved - part of me thinks if we were serious about controlling the virus, we'd have had March-style restrictions but there seems no willingness to go that far at this time. It remains to be seen whether those areas currently outside Tier 4 will be joining us in the near future.

I share the view there's no point now indulging in political point-scoring, That said, I'd like to think at some point in the future there will be a proper accounting for and scrutiny of decisions taken and I think the decision not to close borders or have arriving passengers tested in the spring looks foolhardy and requires explanation. The move of infected elderly patients from hospitals back to care homes also looks questionable at the very least.

I'll be honest - if the price of this scrutiny is two or three political careers, that's a price well worth paying. I can excuse any politician who struggles with an unforeseeable event but if a decision is taken in light of clear advice to the contrary, that requires explanation.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Not that we should welcome the new strain, but without it as a justification which does not blame the public or the government (no one can be blamed for a new strain appearing), I wonder if Boris would have taken this action, no matter the cost.
    The right outcome which should have been set in stone ten weeks ago
    Why? Ten weeks ago we didn't know how the virus would progress. Plenty of other countries have just announced Christmas restrictions

I think that the majority of the public would have accepted a late lockdown as the circumstances have clearly changed.

Unfortunately our clown of a PM just couldn't stop himself scoring cheap shots off Starmer 48 hours ago for suggesting the action he has now taken himself and almost certainly knew he would take at the time he was attacking the LOTO.

Boris wanted to the "saviour of Christmas". He's vacuous, he doesn't think beyond the next sound-bite. He's entirely unsuited to governing a country in normal times let alone the times we face right now. Much of the talent in the Conservative Party has been sidelined and replaced by a third-rate nodding-donkey Cabinet of all the Brexit-talents. Heaven help us all.
  • Options

Because there may have been social unrest at train stations and elsewhere if people were immediately prevented from travelling.
This discussion has been closed.