Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The other side of the bet. The ethics of political gambling. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    What an absolute pillock though going on the attack about only the Tories defending Christmas and Labour wanting to cancel it.

They knew about this new BORIS BUG a week ago. What a politically-dumb idiot.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Love the way he goes from 'stay local' to 'don't travel abroad'.

Brexit fixed the travel abroad. After 1st Jan the EU will not be letting the British in. We will be an external country in a pandemic. Kiss your winter hols goodbye
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Lock at what boris said to his MPs before they approved the Tier system.

How can they ever trust anything he says again?

This virus is changing and as it changes policy has to change
    The government took us out 2.0 and sent us shopping to save businesses, save jobs, you’ve seen the footage of crowds, many without masks this winter time. You 100% sure it needs mutant virus to achieve this same surge, or joining with me to congratulate the government on very clever political narrative management?

2.0 didn’t get r down as hoped for the shopping splurge and 5 days Christmas mayhem to go as hoped, government were under pressure it needed clever politics and they managed to u turn to the correct place to be.

Give them a clap, 👏🏻.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer was right yet again! And so was I, yet you all said I was wrong. Such is life :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,096
    Alistair said:

Honestly, Boris delivery once again dreadful. Sturgeon is going to cancel Christmas and demand the sacrifice of every first born and will seem more relatable, human and competent.

No difference, other than the fact you are a leftwinger who hates Boris and loves Sturgeon
  • Options

They knew about this new Boris Bug BEFORE he decided to guff on about defending Christmas from Keith Starmer
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

This is a democratic country and massive infringements to our liberty like this cannot change without scrutiny and elections.

There is evidence this strain was identified in September. Viruses mutate and change all the time in every case.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Expect Scotland to go to Level 4 from tomorrow with Christmas arrangements rescinded.

Full national lockdown all nations from 28 Dec.

Need to cancel first school half term to end Feb.

£10 to site funds says they won’t do that.
  • Options

Why were they ever stupid enough to trust him in the first place?
  • Options
    Good to know the plague will take account of God and has promised not to infect anyone in a temple.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Honestly, Boris delivery once again dreadful. Sturgeon is going to cancel Christmas and demand the sacrifice of every first born and will seem more relatable, human and competent.

Where the fuck did communal worship come from. Does he think SCOTUS decisions are important here lol ?
    Because a very large number of Tory voters enjoy Christmas services. Don’t overthink it beyond that.
  • Options
    NestacresNestacres Posts: 17
    edited December 2020

Keir Starmer was right yet again! And so was I, yet you all said I was wrong. Such is life :)

Can you please tell me where Starmer said there would be a new variant affecting the SE and London in the run up to Christmas?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    It’s a fecking disaster.

R>0.4 surely means full national lockdown & schools closed?

Shirley?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    No doubt Boris ordered the creation of this new R+0.4 strain personally, the rotter. Has he no shame?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Nestacres said:

Can you please tell me where Starmer said there would be a new variant affecting the SE and London in the run up to Christmas?
    I mean, 3 days ago (when this strain was known) he said the government should reconsider the Christmas rules and Boris Johnson mocked him and said it would be 'inhuman' to do so.
  • Options
    Lockdown England now. Get the devolved administrations round a table and get something in place with their support as well. We need to stop messing around.
  • Options

This is a democratic country and massive infringements to our liberty like this cannot change without scrutiny and elections.

There is evidence this strain was identified in September. Viruses mutate and change all the time in every case.
    Many Tory backbenchers will be livid especially those from London and the South East that Christmas has effectively been cancelled for their constituents with no parliamentary scrutiny
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited December 2020

What an absolute pillock though going on the attack about only the Tories defending Christmas and Labour wanting to cancel it.

That's not really accurate. They knew about the new strain before, but the CMO has just said that they only knew about the increased tranmissibility at the end of this week.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

No doubt Boris ordered the creation of this new R+0.4 strain personally, the rotter. Has he no shame?

I don't think anyone is saying that. But given that it was detected in September and it was being flagged in November I think questions can be asked as to his actions since.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    I fully expect large numbers to ignore this which is never a good look for a government.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Someone somewhere must desperately be trying to work out what the fuck Tiers 5, 6 and 7 look like, 'cos it sounds like we might need them soon.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Am I the only person on PB who celebrates Festivus every year.

We have the Festivus pole; the airing of the grievances; the feats of strength.

Everyone is invited.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Madness to allow communal worship in Tier 4.

Got to pander to the Tory Party at Prayer.
    Insanity.

Churches were closed at Easter. That is the more religious of the two and services moved online. Do it again.
    Well, I can't think what it is if it isn't pandering to the ERG and the like. It's not as if they were very worried aboout other religions before (e.g. Eid).
    Eid was less restricted than Easter.
  • Options
    F*ck.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    This will be see the biggest anger amongst the Tory base since May cancelled Brexit last year
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris does the right thing once he’s exhausted all possible alternatives. Bad times. Let’s hope the vaccine still works.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    ping said:

It’s a fecking disaster.

Shirley?

If it adds 0.4 on then does even full lockdown keep R below 1?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Love the way he goes from 'stay local' to 'don't travel abroad'.

Brexit fixed the travel abroad. After 1st Jan the EU will not be letting the British in. We will be an external country in a pandemic. Kiss your winter hols goodbye
    Why anyone would plan ahead or book a foreign holiday in current circumstances is beyond me. I have a couple of ideas for next year but I'm not planning to make a decision until April.
  • Options

No.

In answer to your implied question, the issue was letting the virus run rampant while foolishly making promises it wouldn’t matter for one particular date.
  • Options

If you are going to do this kind of paranoia post, then:

1. Most "Leave" voters are older
    2. Covid is more deadly for older voters

Therefore....

The EU/Remainers must have invented Covid to wipe out Leavers to swing another referendum...
  • Options
    glw said:

That's not really accurate. They knew about the new strain before, but the CMO has just said that they only knew about the increased tranmissibility at the end of this week.
    The problem with many is they do not want to listen to the CMO as it does not fit their agenda
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

This will be see the biggest anger amongst the Tory base since May cancelled Brexit last year

So fucking what.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Many Tory backbenchers will be livid especially those from London and the South East that Christmas has effectively been cancelled for their constituents with no parliamentary scrutiny
    If they are livid HYUFD they only have themselves to blame.

They are the incredibly stupid, stupid idiots who have allowed Johnson and SAGE to continue to play with the trainset.

Look where they are now

No decision on Brexit.
    No Xmas for their constituents.
    A shattered economy.
    Nothing on the horizon but redundancies, debt and higher taxes.
    New right wing parties snapping at their heels next year.

When are they going to f8cking act?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

They are the incredibly stupid, stupid idiots who have allowed Johnson and SAGE to continue to play with the trainset.

Look where they are now

No decision on Brexit.
    A shattered economy.

You need help. You’re off the deep end.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So what
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,864

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Madness to allow communal worship in Tier 4.

Got to pander to the Tory Party at Prayer.
    Insanity.

Churches were closed at Easter. That is the more religious of the two and services moved online. Do it again.
    Well, I can't think what it is if it isn't pandering to the ERG and the like. It's not as if they were very worried aboout other religions before (e.g. Eid).
    Eid was less restricted than Easter.
    But in the context of a less restrictive period anyway.
  • Options

Someone somewhere must desperately be trying to work out what the fuck Tiers 5, 6 and 7 look like, 'cos it sounds like we might need them soon.

Tier 4 is November style lockdown.

Tier 5 would surely be March style lockdown?
  • Options

ping said:

It’s a fecking disaster.

Shirley?

Another spring lockdown? Probably not. A Chinese lockdown? That should work.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I don't think anyone is saying that. But given that it was detected in September and it was being flagged in November I think questions can be asked as to his actions since.
    CMO stated it was only later this week they discovered just how serious this new strain is and hence their advice today
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    HYUFD said:

Will it? I know you have a great instinct for Tory opinion, but greater restrictions remain resolutely and surprisingly popular.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Where the fuck did communal worship come from. Does he think SCOTUS decisions are important here lol ?
    Because a very large number of Tory voters enjoy Christmas services. Don’t overthink it beyond that.
    Then bloody shut them down!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Look where they are now

No decision on Brexit.
    A shattered economy.

No mate. I am a highly paid executive in the financial services industry. I have actually prospered mightily in the lockdown but am furious about how it has affected businesses,

So go f8ck yourself.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Will it? I know you have a great instinct for Tory opinion, but greater restrictions remain resolutely and surprisingly popular.
    Yebbut nopn-Tories don't count.
  • Options
    Going to keep an eye on the next PM in the near future. May be more laying opportunity (Sunak's 4.4. If people think the incumbent imbecile is not long for the job I'd expected that to decline noticeably).
  • Options
    A week ago we were hearing endless reports of how wonderful football and theatre crowds in London was to see...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Look where they are now

No decision on Brexit.
    A shattered economy.

No mate. I am a highly paid executive in the financial services industry. I have actually prospered mightily in the lockdown but am furious about how it has affected businesses,

So go f8ck yourself.
    A few weeks back you were praising the Swedish model and how we must follow that. Your methods kill people and result in many more deaths.

So no I won’t go fuck myself thank you.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Look where they are now

No decision on Brexit.
    A shattered economy.

The proposals as they were were perfectly sensible, Tier 3 for most of England, 3 households only allowed to mix at Christmas with isolation recommended for a week before then back to tiers.

These current proposals have now cancelled Christmas altogether, certainly in London and the SE, with no parliamentary scrutiny at all
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234
    ydoethur said:

Why were they ever stupid enough to trust him in the first place?
    Because all the smart ones buggered off when he became leader.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2020
    Sports fixtures screwed, presumably.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

CMO stated it was only later this week they discovered just how serious this new strain is and hence their advice today
    Yes. They kept saying this was information they got yesterday.
  • Options
    Have thought for some time a GONU would be a good idea.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

ping said:

It’s a fecking disaster.

Shirley?

Not sure, it's got to be 1 or just under. It would need a much better track/trace/isolate system to get under control than what we have. Hopefully we'll be able to beat it with the vaccine. It means the government will need to push the vaccine even harder in January than they are planning. There's no other way we will bring case numbers down.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

From observation people who think more restrictions are a good thing often seem to also think they have good reasons why the restrictions shouldn't be applying to them. We heard many of those reasons at times here such as "but I am sensible and avoid human contact when doing x unlike those that need restricting". It's sort of like surveys which report people are in favour of higher taxes where the unspoken part of the agreement is "for other people richer than me"
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,298
    edited December 2020

C'mon this is shambolic.

Rather have you in charge. Or your doppelganger - Julius Caesar.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Is that convincing?

How long did they suspect and how long dide they need to wait for info that would persuade even Mr Johnson?

The unspoken implication is that "we thouight that all this rise in England and Kent and London was just down to our incompetent controls and crap communications and unhelpful proles but we were going to relax things anyway". Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Will the PM ever temper his addiction to optimistic boosterism?
    He just can't help serving helpings of hostages to fortune.
  • Options
    ping said:

I don't see why. This is November style restrictions not March style.

Professional sport was allowed in November.

Tier 5 presumably would be March style and would close sport.
  • Options
    Hope they kick Brexit into the long grass. The last thing we need right now is Brexit chaos in Kent.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Jonathan said:

Have thought for some time a GONU would be a good idea.

Given the pathetic job the Opposition is doing in opposing, it is difficult to see what we'd lose from eliminating it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Hope they kick Brexit into the long grass. The last thing we need right now is Brexit chaos in Kent.

Why? Nobody else should be out and about in Kent so the roads can be just used by the lorries. Perfect.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
    dixiedean said:

Will the PM ever temper his addiction to optimistic boosterism?
    He just can't help serving helpings of hostages to fortune.

Did he just fuck Easter as well?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Scott_xP said:
    What would be the reason for the letters? Some from Tory MPs furious about the increased lockdown, some from Tory MPs furious that he didn`t anticipate this sooner and lockdown earlier and harder. Such is Johnson`s bind.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

From observation people who think more restrictions are a good thing often seem to also think they have good reasons why the restrictions shouldn't be applying to them. We heard many of those reasons at times here such as "but I am sensible and avoid human contact when doing x unlike those that need restricting". It's sort of like surveys which report people are in favour of higher taxes where the unspoken part of the agreement is "for other people richer than me"
    I favour higher taxes on people like me. That's why I would leave the unspoken part unspoken.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited December 2020
    Sky

60% of new infections are due to this strain in tier 4
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Is that convincing?

How long did they suspect and how long dide they need to wait for info that would persuade even Mr Johnson?

The unspoken implication is that "we thouight that all this rise in England and Kent and London was just down to our incompetent controls and crap communications and unhelpful proles but we were going to relax things anyway". Or am I missing something?
    Who knows? South Wales has a similar R to Kent and the Southeast etc but doesn't seem to be getting spoken about as the new variant. Why is that there?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

About a third of the population supported relaxing the current restrictions over Christmas, that is a lot of voters.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1338876584556720133?s=20

The rest only wanted current rules maintained, these rules go beyond current Tier 3 rules and create a new Tier 4 and effectively cancel Christmas altogether in London and the South East.
  • Options

ping said:

I thought travel was banned though?
    I think that was the point, rather than banning sport per se.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:
    What would be the reason for the letters? Some from Tory MPs furious about the increased lockdown, some from Tory MPs furious that he didn`t anticipate this sooner and lockdown earlier and harder. Such is Johnson`s bind.
    Well, getting intelligent and competent leadership that governs by need and evidence rather than soundbites and spite would be a bonus.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

DougSeal said:

Really? The BMJ reported on Wednesday that as of 13 December, 1108 cases with this variant had been identified in the UK in nearly 60 different local authorities. Johnson's partisan rubbishing of Starmer at PMQ's on the same day (the 16th) came two days after Matt Hancock told Parliament (on the 14th) that initial analysis showed that the new variant “may be associated” with the recent rise in cases in southeast England.

So, the boffins were aware enough on Monday (at the latest) to warn the Cabinet about this, but Johnson insisted on using PMQs as a partisan forum to rubbish Starmer for wanting a lockdown only 48 hours later. Another 72 hours after that, and Lord knows how many transmissions, we get this announcement.

So given the risk profile was given, at the latest, to the Cabinet on Monday, why was Johnson giving it the bid "I am" to Starmer on Wednesday? Why was Johnson travelling up North from London to an Openreach site yesterday? Because campaigning is all he knows how to do. He can't govern.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,954
    dixiedean said:

A week ago we were hearing endless reports of how wonderful football and theatre crowds in London was to see...

I watched the Joshua fight agog that ~ 1000 people were back in an INDOOR arena.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson. Worse PM than May
  • Options
    One other problem is that if the variant is more tranmissible we will also need a higher, and ideally faster, uptake of the vaccines. I suspect we will be signing new orders imminently.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I favour higher taxes on people like me. That's why I would leave the unspoken part unspoken.
    I never claimed there werent people like you. Where did I exclude that. However it is true to say that a lot that answer yes they favour higher taxes have in mind taxes other people pay and not them. So it is with those who answer they favour tighter restrictions.
  • Options

You'd say that about any Tory PM.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Is that convincing?

Who knows? South Wales has a similar R to Kent and the Southeast etc but doesn't seem to be getting spoken about as the new variant. Why is that there?
    A good point. Which makes it all the more confusing.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Tier 4 is November style lockdown.

Tier 5 would surely be March style lockdown?
    With lockdown getting stronger and stronger, so is my case for a lockdown sex buddy.

Chat with wife later.
  • Options
    Wasn't the PM in Bolton yesterday? Presumably with a few dozens of press? A day before banning folk leaving London?
  • Options

You'd say that about any Tory PM.
    No, he wouldn't. He couldn't logically say that about Ms May.
  • Options

Sky

60% of new infections are due to this strain in tier 4

Looks like it will be dominant strain in v short time.
  • Options
    I see we're getting unending pasting from the shrillest depths of twatter.

And rather less of anyone making sensible suggestions.

It looks to me that they've taken the sensible steps.
  • Options
    ping said:

Yes. Downer for me. Have tickets for Ronnie v Ding at the Ally Pally Masters snooker. Will be off now. First world problem, I know, but disappointed.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    'so what' according to Philip Thompson and Big G.

So what to the rule of law

So what to government by democracy and not fiat.

'its a national emergency we can't go through the usual norms' said every despot in history, ever
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

I thought travel was banned though?
    I think that was the point, rather than banning sport per se.
    Travel for work isn't banned. Professional athletes going to a fixture is for work.
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt would be a far better PM than Johnson.

Philip your love in with everything Johnson does or says is fine but don’t come in here and act like you’re impartial.
This discussion has been closed.