Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Liz Truss now edges above Sunak in latest CONHome members’ survey – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

DougSeal said:

Misspelling notwithstanding, this strikes me as a very acute observation:

https://twitter.com/KeohaneDan/status/1334947758663491586

It’s a good point. The only person able to “capitulate” as Mr Thompson inelegantly puts it is Johnson. So he has a choice of being brought down by the maniacs on the Tory right if he does or by the rest of the country when the no-deal shortages kick in of he doesn’t.

There was an accident on the M20 today that gridlocked all of the roads around here. Same thing as happened the other week when the Brexit tests were being carried out last month - also closing the M20. I literally, quite literally, could not get to Bybrook Sainsbury’s. That’s our future after 1 January every single day until Johnson or whoever takes over has to capitulate. Inability to drive anywhere every day for the foreseeable, ambulances not getting through, food trucks needing permits to get into a county they can’t drive in. Good job we’re Tier 3. We won’t be able to leave the county anyway. The other great thing about it is that road accidents will reduce to zero as no one will be able to drive fast enough.

But help is at hand! Can whoever on this board lives in whatever part of this country borders Australia tell me and @Philip_Thompson how you handle the every day disruption caused by customs checks?
    You know Dover isn't the only way into the country? If Dover and Calais are gridlocked then drivers will divert to other ports.

And if all the ports are gridlocked, then there are a huge number of empty planes not being used right now.
    Absolutely, and many other ways. Can use drones. Drug mules. In six months time migrants crossing the channel in dingys with vital drugs strapped to them will be welcome with open arms.

Guinea Pigs are flown from darkest Peru to Belgium for auction, train to Germany for slaughter, trucked to Netherlands for processing, and then they try to move it across the channel. The brilliance of brexit is to be able to slaughter the guinea pigs and fly them straight into England. It’s no longer just being part of EU which puts us on the map. We will be global again.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

Some shite music back in 1990.

Enjoy the Silence was released in March that year.
    1990 was a sensational year for music. Yes some shite. But the brilliant stuff was *brilliant*
    Agreed. 1990 was the year I started buying mostly new music rather than 60's and 70's music.
    Maybe more accurate to say 1990 was the year a number of decent bands who'd been around a while hit the mainstream.
    1991 is my favourite year from that general period. Examples: Rhythm Is A Mystery by K-klass, Everybody's Free by Rozalla, Insanity by Oceanic.
    1990's best feature was the decline of Stock, Aitken and Waterman.
    Who were very good at what they did. But had a stultifying effect on the "industry" in general.
    You no longer needed to look right and sound like every other bugger.
    In 1990 they gave us Kylie Minogue's Rhythm of Love. A sensational album from start to finish.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,024
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

1990 was a sensational year for music. Yes some shite. But the brilliant stuff was *brilliant*
    Agreed. 1990 was the year I started buying mostly new music rather than 60's and 70's music.
    Maybe more accurate to say 1990 was the year a number of decent bands who'd been around a while hit the mainstream.
    1991 is my favourite year from that general period. Examples: Rhythm Is A Mystery by K-klass, Everybody's Free by Rozalla, Insanity by Oceanic.
    Who were very good at what they did. But had a stultifying effect on the "industry" in general.
    You can’t beat the year before, 1989. The Stone Roses, Doolittle by the Pixies, Disintegration by the Cure, Bummed by the Happy Mondays (not me personally, the album), Paul’s Boutique by the Beastie Boys, Three Feet High and Rising by De La Soul...
    Not forgetting I'd Rather Jack by the Reynolds Girls.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Was that The Grauniad doing a U-turn?

Just updating as the picture changes, I'd have said.

As was pointed out earlier, The Times is running yesterday's in tomorrow's edition.
    Now in neat oblongs. 😑
  • Options
    We get a deal that works. Or we get a deal that doesn't work. Or we don't get a deal.

Don;t forget, if business hasn't prepared for what is to come in a matter of weeks, its their own fault.
  • Options

We get a deal that works. Or we get a deal that doesn't work. Or we don't get a deal.

Don;t forget, if business hasn't prepared for what is to come in a matter of weeks, its their own fault.

That's the nature of dealing with the EU. We can't just unilaterally impose a deal on them and they always take until the last minute. Thankfully once we are properly out we won't need to deal with this sclerotic shambling bureaucracy in the same way again.
  • Options

It’s far better than you make it out. Many of the biggest enthusiasts for brexit are the ones who get most screwed by it. Fishermen. Farmers. Lab to Tory voters in red wall constituencies
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,529

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

In 1990 they gave us Kylie Minogue's Rhythm of Love. A sensational album from start to finish.
    I rather liked Kylie's SAW period. Lightweight bubblegum pop, but fun.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Trump racks up his 45th loss in court, all contested states now certified, several recounted and confirmation from Arizona's legislature that they will in fact... follow the law.

https://twitter.com/AZHouseGOP/status/1334983417562243074
  • Options

That's the nature of dealing with the EU. We can't just unilaterally impose a deal on them and they always take until the last minute. Thankfully once we are properly out we won't need to deal with this sclerotic shambling bureaucracy in the same way again.
    Indeed. We'll be too busy dealing with our own sclerotic shambolic bureaucracy.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

Might be cos I'm half-fag, but I bloody love Kylie. Her post SAW period also amazing. New album is full of absolute bangers.
  • Options

Good. And we can vote to oust the Government of the day if they don't deal with that bureaucracy.

No excuses.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump racks up his 45th loss in court, all contested states now certified, several recounted and confirmation from Arizona's legislature that they will in fact... follow the law.

Well said that man, better late than never. More Republicans need to join him. It will cost them their careers but will be worth it for the US future.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

It’s a good point. The only person able to “capitulate” as Mr Thompson inelegantly puts it is Johnson. So he has a choice of being brought down by the maniacs on the Tory right if he does or by the rest of the country when the no-deal shortages kick in of he doesn’t.
    That's what they want you to think.

She absolutely can capitulate.
  • Options

Good. And we can vote to oust the Government of the day if they don't deal with that bureaucracy.

No excuses.
    Difference is that if you import or export, or transport products inside this country, your "sclerotic, shambolic bureaucracy" doesn't have any direct impact. Whereas in a few weejs, it will...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

DougSeal said:

Tedious
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Tedious
    A dozen people agreeing with each other that von der Leyen can't possibly compromise and only Boris can is perfectly reasonable to you, but a single person holding a different opinion is "tedious"?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,629

Pulpstar said:

Well said that man, better late than never. More Republicans need to join him. It will cost them their careers but will be worth it for the US future.
    It is depressing that it may cost many their careers to simply state that even though they voted for, campaigned for, and support Donald Trump, they simply don't have the legal power in many cases to do what he wants.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922

Andy_JS said:

It was February. The song has already appeared on Top of the Pops 1990, a few weeks ago.
    Yes, you're right! The album Violator came out in March.
    Outstanding album.

Of course, the 90s kept getting better.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113

DougSeal said:

“That’s what they want you to think,”. No. It’s a conclusion I have reached e based on my own knowledge of the EU Treaties and EU Law obtained through some years of study in qualifying to be a lawyer and obtaining a postgraduate degree that involved research on EU law and policy. Yours appears to come from reading the Telegraph through the lense of Ayn Rand.

The reason I have come to such a conclusion is that such a “capitulation” would be as much good as me or you capitulating. As with this country, the US and many other jurisdictions a deal has to be approved and ratified. So such a “capitulation” would be meaningless. She needs 27 countries and Rhe EU Parliament to ratify. Johnson is in a stronger position with his HoC majority but even he will have a similar problem with those who have to ratify if he is seen to give away too much, nevertheless he is more likely to carry his party.. Based on that, and on this exiled Londoner’s past experience of Johnson’s basic failure to effectively negotiate with Bob Crow, then it is likely to be him who capitulates.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

Might be cos I'm half-fag, but I bloody love Kylie. Her post SAW period also amazing. New album is full of absolute bangers.
    Can't beat Kylie. Possibly for the same reason.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113

DougSeal said:

Tedious
    A dozen people agreeing with each other that von der Leyen can't possibly compromise and only Boris can is perfectly reasonable to you, but a single person holding a different opinion is "tedious"?
    You miss the point entirely. She can’t capitulate (your word) even if she wanted to. Although you see the EU as a dictatorship it actually isn’t. She can’t agree to something she can’t get ratified by all the member states and the EU Parliament as well. So her hands are tied by 27 elected governments and an elected legislature. On the other hand Johnson has the HoC backing him (probably) so has the ability to move. Indeed it’s in his interests to do so because the economic effects of no deal on top of those of the pandemic will end his premiership.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited December 2020

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

As a younger man and a full homosexual type, I'm not ashamed to admit that I also love Kylie, and saw her at Glastonbury last year.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

You can’t beat the year before, 1989. The Stone Roses, Doolittle by the Pixies, Disintegration by the Cure, Bummed by the Happy Mondays (not me personally, the album), Paul’s Boutique by the Beastie Boys, Three Feet High and Rising by De La Soul...
    Especially for you by Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan.

*Runs away*
    Was it Especially For You that was the victim of the industry plot to give Cliff the Christmas Number One slot?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

In other news, HMQ is down to her last dog.

Well she can take comfort in her children at least.
    She could watch The Crown if she needs something to cheer her up.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,457
    "Belgium’s shops were shut ‘as a coronavirus shock tactic’" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/belgiums-shops-were-shut-as-a-coronavirus-shock-tactic-2x9wklf7v
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Tedious
    You miss the point entirely. She can’t capitulate (your word) even if she wanted to. Although you see the EU as a dictatorship it actually isn’t. She can’t agree to something she can’t get ratified by all the member states and the EU Parliament as well. So her hands are tied by 27 elected governments and an elected legislature. On the other hand Johnson has the HoC backing him (probably) so has the ability to move. Indeed it’s in his interests to do so because the economic effects of no deal on top of those of the pandemic will end his premiership.
    Makes you wonder how any concessions can be won out of the EU. In reality, both sides are flexible.
  • Options
    “Scotch Egg Raids” don’t think I’ve read that headline before. Police swoop on drinkers. But it’s honest pint gov, look, I’ve got a scotch egg. That won’t do, out into the Black Mariah with you. Haven’t you got any proper police work to- Ow whadya hit me with that for?

Can I say Black Mariah in this day and age? I never went to Eton or anything.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

It’s far better than you make it out. Many of the biggest enthusiasts for brexit are the ones who get most screwed by it. Fishermen. Farmers. Lab to Tory voters in red wall constituencies
    I’m getting uncomfortable getting lots of likes for this.

Can I change ‘far better’ to ‘far sadder’ ?
  • Options
    The Tories have led in 8 of the latest 10 opinion polls. Why isn't Labour doing better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2020
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Jonathan said:

They could have delayed Brexit to focus on the pandemic, but chose not to. Let that sink in.

Remind me - when did we actually leave the EU?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Andy_JS said:

The Tories have led in 8 of the latest 10 opinion polls. Why isn't Labour doing better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2020

Andy_JS said:

Because it is early in the Parliamentary term and beyond that support for the incumbent government is likely to be propped up by the pervading sense of national - and international - crisis over an extended and continuing period of months.Despite that, Labour is performing better than at the same point of the Parliaments of 1987 and 1959. In both those terms it took Labour almost two years to overtake the Tories in any poll.Labour's poll rating is also much better than achieved by the Tories a year into the 1997 and 2001 Pariaments. A year into the October 1974 Parliament , Thatcher's Tories had not established a clear lead.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Cultural shift (Brexit) gives the Tories a hard floor around 38% I think. I believe the votes are also very efficiently distributed around marginals, and I'm not even sure Boris needs a deal with the EU no matter the hardships that follow politically speaking. I mean I'd prefer him to get one on a personal level but it may not be neccessary.
  • Options
    I follow some MAGA twitter btw, haven't actually found anyone who likes Kelly Loeffler yet.
  • Options
    John Harris's latest Anywhere But Westminster video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7sIqzr9Nic
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

It was February. The song has already appeared on Top of the Pops 1990, a few weeks ago.
    Outstanding album.

Things could only get better.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Pulpstar said:

I follow some MAGA twitter btw, haven't actually found anyone who likes Kelly Loeffler yet.

Warnock is quite the firebrand so I'm encouraged by those polls out yesterday showing him ahead by 7%.

Ossoff is still neck-and-neck with Perdue and the polls were off beam in last month's battle so I'm wary.

It would be wonderful if they take both seats but I'm wary. I'm still on Ossoff from before at 2/1
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Outstanding album.

Nirvana, Blur, Oasis, Pearl Jam, Portishead, Leftfield, Pulp, REM, Elastica and - of course - Radiohead.

Not a bad decade, all things considered.

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Andy_JS said:

The decision to bulk pre-order from 7 different vaccine developers was a masterstroke. And the fact that we approved Pfizer's vaccine ahead of the EU reinforces all the best bits about Brexit, regardless of what people like Ben Bradshaw say to the contrary (nice guy still).

As the vaccine starts to deploy around the country there will inevitably be some logistical headaches but I expect the tories now to continue to do well. I voted Labour in 2019 and even I'm impressed.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The decision to bulk pre-order from 7 different vaccine developers was a masterstroke. And the fact that we approved Pfizer's vaccine ahead of the EU reinforces all the best bits about Brexit, regardless of what people like Ben Bradshaw say to the contrary (nice guy still).

As the vaccine starts to deploy around the country there will inevitably be some logistical headaches but I expect the tories now to continue to do well. I voted Labour in 2019 and even I'm impressed.
    Full credit to the uk government, they gambled on vaccine availability and won.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: interesting second practice results (Bottas had a quick time eliminated so he's not really 11th fastest...). Perez very close to Verstappen and a large slice of time ahead of Stroll despite having an old spec engine.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Outstanding album.

Nirvana, Blur, Oasis, Pearl Jam, Portishead, Leftfield, Pulp, REM, Elastica and - of course - Radiohead.

Not a bad decade, all things considered.

Air. Beastie Boys. Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Eminem. (Hard to believe he was the future once.)

The Prodigy. Rage Against The Machine. Beck.

Alanis Morissette (whose office I now sit in).

Guns 'N Roses.

Soundgarden. My Bloody Valentine. Garbage.

I might even mention... no... I can't... Mo... Mo...Mob... Mousn't think of him.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Full credit to the uk government, they gambled on vaccine availability and won.
    Putting some money on every horse might have been the best strategy, but it’s not really gambling.
  • Options
    Oh, the never ending fiasco of the IOW floating bridge has made R4
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Is that the "floating bridge" where IOW care home patients need to take the ferry ride to Portsmouth twice to get the vaccine?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    Is the question, what do you get if you search for "jewish porn" on twitter?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

IanB2 said:

Is that the "floating bridge" where IOW care home patients need to take the ferry ride to Portsmouth twice to get the vaccine?
    Why would they need to do that? Isn't it going to be distributed in care homes?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Moderna vaccine produces a stronger antibody response after 4 months than infection by the virus itself.
    https://elpais.com/ciencia/2020-12-04/nuevos-datos-sugieren-que-la-vacuna-de-moderna-genera-inmunidad-duradera.html
  • Options

IanB2 said:

No, it's the one that R4 just described as a troubled bridge over water. The one that keeps breaking down, which has left passengers to wade ashore, damaged the underside of cars, and is out of service more often than not.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Why would they need to do that? Isn't it going to be distributed in care homes?
    It's all going to be done from hospitals AIUI. For us, in Portsmouth. (edit/ at least to begin with. Due to the temperature storage/transport reqs and it coming in pre-packed batches of 750)

Meanwhile, I observe that starting our deployment of the vaccine on 14 Dec allows the Americans to start theirs first, if they carry through with their plans to begin on the 11th or 12th.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,845
    On topic: Liz Truss for PM!

Off topic: Macron’s obstinate attitude is going to blow this whole thing up, isn’t it?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Sandpit said:

Off topic: Macron’s obstinate attitude is going to blow this whole thing up, isn’t it?

Fish is the pretext. Macron really wants financial services migrating to Paris.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,845
    geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

Fish is the pretext. Macron really wants financial services migrating to Paris.

Oh definitely, except that the bankers don’t want to move to Paris.

I’m still not sure how a line of trucks stretching from Calais to Paris in January Is seen as politically useful to him though. Nor his fishermen all stuck in port.

If it were anyone but Macron, I’d believe that it was all talk and we’d be able to get a deal through, but with him I’m really not sure.
  • Options
    New thread.
This discussion has been closed.