Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Liz Truss now edges above Sunak in latest CONHome members’ survey – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:
    Would be interesting to see whether people regard June as spring or summer. I think the latter although officially its mostly the former. I think everything will be allowed by June.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    edited December 2020
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Tonight on BBC4 it's 26th April 1990 and 3rd May 1990 with Top of the Pops.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6b

With Bruno Brookes helming.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

HYUFD said:
    Would be interesting to see whether people regard June as spring or summer. I think the latter although officially its mostly the former. I think everything will be allowed by June.
    Meteorological summer for me. 1 June to 31 August.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

HYUFD said:
    Agreed. But you've just got to love the pitch-black pessimism of the 2% 'Never' cohort.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    edited December 2020
    Newcastle fortunes under Steve Bruce is a roller coaster ride or in a Geordie accent a rollacowsta according to Jimmy Carr

https://twitter.com/tonytiger67/status/1334784485687169024/photo/1
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    I know several PBers bet on the total vote number in the US Presidential.

Interesting to see the number continuing to edge up. It now stands at close to 158.5m votes cast, with Biden 7m+ ahead of Trump.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

HYUFD said:
    Agreed. But you've just got to love the pitch-black pessimism of the 2% 'Never' cohort.
    I think several of them post here. :D
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Can't believe that 2% think the restrictions will never be lifted.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,521
    Roger said:

Roger said:

The reason Johnson is down to 2.9 is because in the immortal words of Jess Phillips "He's a liar. He's just a liar" . There was a time when the zeitgeist was happy with liars whether daubed on the side of busses or sent out on tweets but not now. The pendulum has swung and It doesn't look like it'll swing back soon.

Quite the opposite. He's been telling them the truth - that Covid is real and we have to do something about it, that we might just possibly want an agreement with that large landmass hovering off our shores - and they don't much care for it.
    So how do you explain your leader coming 22nd in a Tory popularity contest behind at least a dozen no one's ever heard of
    It's ConHome - formerly known as Continuity IDS.

Their bullshit polls are as valuable as the utterances of the oaf Trump.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

HYUFD said:
    Everything? You mean I can finally give that bastard Nick Gibb what he deserves?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Evening all :)

While we count the days till Christmas, the Americans keep on counting their election and two notable landmarks now reached.

First, Biden has swept past 81 million votes and his lead over Trump is now over 7 million. Current tallies according to CBS News are Biden 81,271,827 and Trump 74,216,269.

Only Maryland (97%) and Iowa (98%) are less than 99% counted and New York has made a big push to get its vote counted and now claims 100% in with Biden winning by 23 points or just shy of 2 million votes.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Some dogs ate my homework excuses from members of Liverpool City Council, who forgot to pay their council tax.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/revealed-eight-city-councillors-handed-12958675

One was the Mayor's daughter.

Somebody genuinely did tell me once that they hadn’t got their homework because, ‘the dog ate my USB pen.’

The more amazing part was when I rang home I found they were telling the truth.
    My dog never ate my homework but she did eat £25 (2 tenners and a fiver)
    My wife left an envelope with $500 in bills taped to the back door to pay someone doing work on the house. I came home and found bills strewed all over the driveway, some in multiple pieces, and a very self-satisfied German Shepherd. Amazingly, we were able to tape together all $500 dollars with numbers, sufficient to take them to the bank to exchange.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    OT. Just seen Ann Coulter on Ch4 News. She's changed. she loathes Trump but more interesting she's actully really funny. She has quite a sense of humour.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Some dogs ate my homework excuses from members of Liverpool City Council, who forgot to pay their council tax.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/revealed-eight-city-councillors-handed-12958675

Somebody genuinely did tell me once that they hadn’t got their homework because, ‘the dog ate my USB pen.’

There was once a dog with £1995 up its arse.

It didn’t feel too grand.
    Have you found your coat?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Have you found your coat?
    I wasn’t actually looking for my coat in a dog’s arse. Besides, unless it was as big as a shire horse, there wouldn’t be room for my coat *and* the money.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

John O'Groats-Land's End 'record speed' driver cleared

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-55177486

His winning defence seems to have been a told a load of lies.

Why did the police take his blog at face value?
    I knew a colleague who swore he left UEA (Norwich) at 2pm, to give a 5 pm lecture at Exeter (around 300 miles) and made it on time... Lots of motorway, but even so...
    Even less plausible given he would have had to drive past Birmingham or London. Sometimes takes three hours just to travel the M42, and as for the M25...
    Feel brie to do a really good cheese pun.
    I camembert these sorts of discussions.
  • Options
    TimT said:

HYUFD said:
    Why not? 70% of republicans think Trump won? Plenty think the vaccines are to give the govt extra control. Once the govts have more control why would they let us do anything in?

People are not designed to be rational, we get towards it by valuing education and science. Those are no longer valued across the board so alternative fact based irrational lives can be led perfectly well in the modern world, just as they were before the enlightenment.
  • Options
    Judd Trump currently indulging in the most one-sided match of snooker against a top player since O’Sullivan walloped Hendry 17-6 at the World Championship in 2008.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Everything? You mean I can finally give that bastard Nick Gibb what he deserves?
    Sure, if you get in trouble just say you read it would be fine on a forum.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Sure, if you get in trouble just say you read it would be fine on a forum.
    Well, he’s such a loathsome uncultured person he would probably enjoy it.

I just need to be sure that my bank manager won’t freeze my account when she sees I’ve ordered a Hawaiian with extra pineapple on.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Judd Trump currently indulging in the most one-sided match of snooker against a top player since O’Sullivan walloped Hendry 17-6 at the World Championship in 2008.

Sounds like Trump won by a lot.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Getting hammered in frame 4 though
  • Options

TimT said:

HYUFD said:
    Why not? 70% of republicans think Trump won? Plenty think the vaccines are to give the govt extra control. Once the govts have more control why would they let us do anything in?

People are not designed to be rational, we get towards it by valuing education and science. Those are no longer valued across the board so alternative fact based irrational lives can be led perfectly well in the modern world, just as they were before the enlightenment.
    The 70% figure was those who doubted the integrity of the election, rather than thinking Trump won. And I think much of that is coloured by confirmation bias and simple denial/dissonance.

But your point is well taken. People only accept facts as facts so long as they fall within what is acceptable to them given their fundamental beliefs. For me The Enlightenment's greatest gift to mankind was Doubt.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Getting hammered in frame 4 though
    Should have kept my mouth shut, shouldn’t I?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Interesting to see the number continuing to edge up. It now stands at close to 158.5m votes cast, with Biden 7m+ ahead of Trump.

Imo the best tip of the election on here was 75m+ Biden votes at about 1.8. Carelessly I didnt follow it as already backed Biden elsewhere - should have laid off on the main market and switched to that market.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

Sounds like Trump won by a lot.
    QAnon and Breitbart suddenly go into overdrive...
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

I knew a colleague who swore he left UEA (Norwich) at 2pm, to give a 5 pm lecture at Exeter (around 300 miles) and made it on time... Lots of motorway, but even so...
    Even less plausible given he would have had to drive past Birmingham or London. Sometimes takes three hours just to travel the M42, and as for the M25...
    Sadly the tradition of awful puns on PB is just a feta ccompli.
  • Options

TimT said:

Imo the best tip of the election on here was 75m+ Biden votes at about 1.8. Carelessly I didnt follow it as already backed Biden elsewhere - should have laid off on the main market and switched to that market.
    Had I bet, I would have lost money as, based on voter registration and past voting percentages of RV, I figured the total would top 160m. Close, but wrong side of the bet.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited December 2020
    Interesting read:

https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1334891114407600129?s=20

ABSTRACT
    In the wake of the 2016 referendum, the idea that ‘imperial nostalgia’ motivated the Leave vote became a staple of academic commentary. Yet such claims suffer from four important flaws. They are usually polemical in character; they suggest, at least implicitly, that only Leave voters are subject to imperial patterns of thought; they fail to differentiate between Commonwealth and imperial loyalties; and they conflate ‘nostalgia’ with ‘amnesia’. This article deploys a longer historical perspective to offer a new reading of the relationship between Brexit and Empire, focusing on the ways in which empire is remembered and articulated. It shows how imperial modes of thought shaped the views of pro-Europeans, as well as their opponents, and explores the changing uses of the Commonwealth. It pays particular attention to the views of Black and Asian voters – a cohort that disrupts many conventional assumptions about Brexit – and shows how empire was excised from histories of ‘Global Britain’, in a manner that minimises the significance of decolonisation. As such, it presents the legacies of empire, not as a disorder to which only half the population is subject, but as a common cultural inheritance through which all sides of the European debate think and argue.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

'Waiter there's no chicken in my chicken soup'

'I know and there's no horse in the horseradish'

(Tommy Cooper)
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

HYUFD said:

The 70% figure was those who doubted the integrity of the election, rather than thinking Trump won. And I think much of that is coloured by confirmation bias and simple denial/dissonance.

But your point is well taken. People only accept facts as facts so long as they fall within what is acceptable to them given their fundamental beliefs. For me The Enlightenment's greatest gift to mankind was Doubt.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/2020-election-results-almost-no-trump-voters-consider-biden-the-winner.html

This poll has Trump voters (so not all Republicans) splitting 73% Trump won, and 3% thinking Biden won with the rest unsure.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

'Waiter there's no chicken in my chicken soup'

'I know and there's no horse in the horseradish'

(Tommy Cooper)
    Could have been worse, could have been, ‘no virgins in the Welsh rarebit.’
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/2020-election-results-almost-no-trump-voters-consider-biden-the-winner.html

This poll has Trump voters (so not all Republicans) splitting 73% Trump won, and 3% thinking Biden won with the rest unsure.
    Ah, thought you were referring to this, given the 70% number: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/09/republicans-free-fair-elections-435488
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2020
    BBC News - Post-Brexit trade talks paused amid 'significant divergences'

European Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen and PM Boris Johnson will discuss the situation on Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55191432
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

HYUFD said:

Ah, thought you were referring to this, given the 70% number: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/09/republicans-free-fair-elections-435488
    I might have been! I just remembered the number from a while back so had a quick google for one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    To be fair to them, there is a good Apocalypse in Ambridge to be written (not yet!) about a Covid that does turn out to be vaccine-proof. Or that appeared before rapid vaccine development. Where you have to let it wash over, and accept about a million deaths. Or restrictions forever.

Fortunately, that isn't this one. I wouldn't wish leadership of the country in that situation on anyone.
  • Options
    BBC News - Covid-19: Care home vaccinations to start 'within two weeks'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55194988
  • Options
    Labour Party has suspended Mr Anderson pending the outcome of the case.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

HYUFD said:
    Makes date collection a whole lot easier. You just aggregate three calendar months for each season instead of aggregating two months and two bits of two others.
  • Options

So he’s suspended while the case is hanging over him?
  • Options
    Does "Ode To Joy" have lyrics I need to learn? Just in case?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Independents gain Liverpool!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    TimT said:

HYUFD said:
    You do realise that 2 or 3% for each answer in a poll is just noise. So those respondents probably pressed the wrong button or didn't really think about the question, or answered maliciously.
  • Options
    Unless Von Der Leyen capitulates it's time for Johnson to be true to his word and go Aussie Deal.

Time to just do it.
  • Options

Here you go:

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
    Tochter aus Elysium,
    Wir betreten feuertrunken,
    Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
    Deine Zauber binden wieder
    Was die Mode streng geteilt*;
    Alle Menschen werden Brüder*
    Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Wem der große Wurf gelungen
    Eines Freundes Freund zu sein;
    Wer ein holdes Weib errungen
    Mische seinen Jubel ein!
    Ja, wer auch nur eine Seele
    Sein nennt auf dem Erdenrund!
    Und wer's nie gekonnt, der stehle
    Weinend sich aus diesem Bund!

Freude trinken alle Wesen
    An den Brüsten der Natur;
    Alle Guten, alle Bösen
    Folgen ihrer Rosenspur.
    Küsse gab sie uns und Reben,
    Einen Freund, geprüft im Tod;
    Wollust ward dem Wurm gegeben
    und der Cherub steht vor Gott.

Froh, wie seine Sonnen fliegen
    Durch des Himmels prächt'gen Plan
    Laufet, Brüder, eure Bahn,
    Freudig, wie ein Held zum siegen.

Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
    Diesen Kuß der ganzen Welt!
    Brüder, über'm Sternenzelt
    Muß ein lieber Vater wohnen.
    Ihr stürzt nieder, Millionen?
    Ahnest du den Schöpfer, Welt?
    Such' ihn über'm Sternenzelt!
    Über Sternen muß er wohnen.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    ydoethur said:

It's not good noose for him.
  • Options

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Sadly the tradition of awful puns on PB is just a feta ccompli.
    This is just gruyeresome.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,301

Unless Von Der Leyen capitulates it's time for Johnson to be true to his word and go Aussie Deal.

Time to just do it.

Oh do fuck off with this aussie rules nonsense. It's just embarassing, like almost everything the manic Brexiteers fart out.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited December 2020
    The only differences remaining are on LPF and fishing, the former is irrelevant to most voters, some compromise on the latter with a review woud be acceptable, if Frost then resigns after Boris makes an agreement with Von Der Leyen so be it
  • Options

Just use the words of Deutschland Uber Alles, and it will be fine.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

TimT said:

HYUFD said:
    You do realise that 2 or 3% for each answer in a poll is just noise. So those respondents probably pressed the wrong button or didn't really think about the question, or answered maliciously.
    I think there was a poll once where 2% answered "yes" to the question "Have you ever been decapitated?"
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Just use the words of Deutschland Uber Alles, and it will be fine.
    They always said German Car Makers would save us.
  • Options
    On topic Liz Truss is very, very good.

Quietly competent, getting on with the job, winds up the right Turnip Taliban people and is a genuinely liberal and dry Conservative.

I would 100% be happy with her.
  • Options

I’m a freude it does.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827
    Gaussian said:

HYUFD said:
    I can see some sort of milder social distancing carrying on into 2022, but I think the rest of it will be pretty much lifted by the end of May. In that respect, I'd answer Spring.

I think the vaccination will pause at around Easter, whether or not we've reached the 50 year olds. Case rates will likely have gone very low and it will not be thought worth further processing as we still won't know how long immunity lasts. Better to use up the stocks and clear the decks, then resume in September (or just vaccinate against any outbreaks at a local level). There will be other countries who will be glad if the vaccine.

I mean in epidemiological terms, it actually makes sense for the rich countries to get the most vaccine first, this is our outbreak season and over 2/3 of the global population at latitude hugher than 40° is European.
  • Options
    Some shite music back in 1990.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

It's not good noose for him.
    Indeed not, it looks distinctly ropey.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Michel Barnier is so elegant. Why wasn't he on our side!

He keeps appearing after Peter Bone or Andrew Bridgen which makes his urbanity even more obvious
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Liz Truss is give or take Gove the most experienced govt minister in the Cabinet.Suprised she was not made Chancellor rather than Zavid last year.Maybe her job is too important for her to have got the job ahead of Sunil.
    Yep you could argue getting good trade deals was more important than the Treasury in January
    Stephen Barclay and Ben Wallace might be a decent longshots to be next PM.Both rarely make gaffes and have Northern Roots.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Sam Coates seemed to think it is threatre. Claims Britain needs to appear that there is drama and the EU comprise on something.
  • Options
    Shagger will tell Von Der Leyen that we will be fine. She says ok and says that she will call him the first Monday back from New Years to see how its all going.
  • Options

1990 was epic? What pants are you being played?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1334939376288227329?s=20

twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1334939381854040064?s=20
    Cue Johnson agreeing to something he doesn't fully understand......
    The only differences remaining are on LPF and fishing, the former is irrelevant to most voters, some compromise on the latter with a review woud be acceptable, if Frost then resigns after Boris makes an agreement with Von Der Leyen so be it
    I am glad we have you on the inside of the negotiations otherwise we would never know these things....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

BBC: "France could veto a deal if it is not in the interests of the fishing industry."

A veto would be good for French fisherfolk?

I think you might have put your finger on a slight problemette with their position...
    It's about money, not fish, according to the Telegraph.

Macron is gambling that France could be a winner from a no-deal Brexit
    Paris is the only real contender to London as the Continent’s finance hub, and a no-deal Brexit may well give it the edge

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/12/04/macron-gambling-france-could-winner-no-deal-brexit/
    Is 'Paris/Frankfurt to be new financial hub for continental Europe' the pro-EU version of 'German car makers will save Brexit'?
    Is it really pro-EU to suggest Paris hopes to profit at our demise? Anti-Brexit perhaps but not pro-EU.
    The point was it is usually pushed as an idea by pro EU people in the same way ardent Brexiteers push the German carmakers idea. Usually, though not universally, it is presented as expecting it to occur and not merely that Paris Hope's it to happen.
  • Options

BBC 4 TOTP
  • Options

HYUFD said:

twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1334939376288227329?s=20

twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1334939381854040064?s=20
    Cue Johnson agreeing to something he doesn't fully understand......
    Does that not describe his entire existence?
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

Oh do fuck off with this aussie rules nonsense. It's just embarassing, like almost everything the manic Brexiteers fart out.
    Aussie Rules is just not Cricket but from The Ashes of our trade talks being abandoned we can take care of ourselves Home and Away, even if with Europe we will now be Neighbours rather than closer each day.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

Aussie Rules is just not Cricket but from The Ashes of our trade talks being abandoned we can take care of ourselves Home and Away, even if with Europe we will now be Neighbours rather than closer each day.
    Aussie Rules.
    Afghanistani Rules.
    Eritrean Rules.

All the same.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

Don't get Mad, Max out the Australian imagery.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

I know you fear the UK becoming a Prisoner, but if Johnson's government messes up our trade links, the public will go Bananas in Pyjamas and our Sons and Daughters won't forgive us.
  • Options
    The Office of Budget Responsibility say a No Deal will lead to the £ falling 5%...2% off GDP and leave 300,000 unemployed. Andrew Bridgen thinks this is OK if we get our sovereignty back. Pity the jobs aren't all in his constituency
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

Aussie Rules.
    Afghanistani Rules.
    Eritrean Rules.

All the same.
    No, I think Afghanistan and Eritrea both have tariff and quota free access to the EU under the Everything but Arms programme.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

We don't need another hero,
    We don't need to know the way home
    All we want is life beyond the landing zone
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Tonight on BBC4 it's 26th April 1990 and 3rd May 1990 with Top of the Pops.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6b

With Bruno Brookes helming.
    How are they dealing with the episodes compered by Jimmy Saville?
  • Options
    In God we Truss :lol:
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    I have a soft spot for Liz Truss because of her total lack of embarrassment and because she is the only person I know who runs her own parody Twitter account.

... And to be fair the 3rd country agreements she has been getting have been decent deals. Yes, they are continuity deals, and no, they are not quite as good as the deals they replace and therefore the garbage she spouts about Global Britain is just that. Nevertheless we are leaving the EU and we should make the best of it and those deals are worth having and don't happen automatically.
  • Options

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

We don't need another hero,
    We don't need to know the way home
    All we want is life beyond the Eurozone
    Fixed it for you!

• Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,301

Sam Coates seemed to think it is threatre. Claims Britain needs to appear that there is drama and the EU comprise on something.

This is the million dollar question. Is it theatre, genuinely stuck talks, or a need to sign off potential concessions from the negotiating team. Who knows? I'm going to now drink whisky and watch Mando.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Roger said:

Michel Barnier is so elegant. Why wasn't he on our side!

He keeps appearing after Peter Bone or Andrew Bridgen which makes his urbanity even more obvious

He's an ENArque.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

This is the million dollar question. Is it theatre, genuinely stuck talks, or a need to sign off potential concessions from the negotiating team. Who knows? I'm going to now drink whisky and watch Mando.
    Best episode so far.....mando that is, not brexit saga.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

I know you fear the UK becoming a Prisoner, but if Johnson's government messes up our trade links, the public will go Bananas in Pyjamas and our Sons and Daughters won't forgive us.
    I think the impetus has gone Walkabout. If we are not careful we will be on our own, Outback where we were in the 1960s.
  • Options

Enjoy the Silence was released in March that year.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993

BBC 4 TOTP
    Adamski Killer on now. But yes, otherwise shite.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Johnson wants a deal but doesn't want to make the compromises necessary to get the deal, Nothing has changed for the last six months. You would have to look into his mind but I think he wants the deal because a deal means Brexit success and it won't be a success without it. He doesn't want to compromise for a deal because that means compromising Brexit itself.
  • Options

1990 was a sensational year for music. Yes some shite. But the brilliant stuff was *brilliant*
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

I think the impetus has gone Walkabout. If we are not careful we will be on our own, Outback where we were in the 1960s.
    That can't be right - Johnson has an oven-ready deal he can just pop in the kookaburra.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The Office of Budget Responsibility say a No Deal will lead to the £ falling 5%...2% off GDP and leave 300,000 unemployed. Andrew Bridgen thinks this is OK if we get our sovereignty back. Pity the jobs aren't all in his constituency

Yet this is the same argument that has been used since March in respect of Covid. Health vs Wealth - the economic and latterly mental health cost of "lockdown" in terms of lost jobs and GDP against the health benefits of keeping people alive even if they are, as some would have it on here, "sick oldies" and "obese slobs".

Now we have Sovereignty vs Wealth. The ability to make our own decisions, to be "free" of the pernicious EU set against the economic costs in terms of lost jobs and GDP.

It's the same argument - essentially, is the economy all that matters? Is wealth generation and economic well-being more important than health or sovereignty?

It cuts to the heart of who are, how we see ourselves and the priorities we would set for ourselves, our society and our country.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Just listened to Biden’s statement and answering questions. I was mightily impressed.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

We could find ourselves up Jacob's Creek without a paddle.
  • Options

1990 was a sensational year for music. Yes some shite. But the brilliant stuff was *brilliant*
    TOTP seemed to focus on the dross.

I had to leave the room when Michael Bolton came on.
  • Options

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

Is there still a Great Barrier preventing a deal?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Roger said:

Yet this is the same argument that has been used since March in respect of Covid. Health vs Wealth - the economic and latterly mental health cost of "lockdown" in terms of lost jobs and GDP against the health benefits of keeping people alive even if they are, as some would have it on here, "sick oldies" and "obese slobs".

Now we have Sovereignty vs Wealth. The ability to make our own decisions, to be "free" of the pernicious EU set against the economic costs in terms of lost jobs and GDP.

It's the same argument - essentially, is the economy all that matters? Is wealth generation and economic well-being more important than health or sovereignty?

It cuts to the heart of who are, how we see ourselves and the priorities we would set for ourselves, our society and our country.
    Something that bothers me about the sovereignty argument...

If you Brexit you get more fish. Whether you can sell it is another matter, but you get more of it. Sovereignty win. Almost all the other direct consequences of Brexit are bad and some very bad: stuff you could do easily and freely before becomes difficult and costly, maybe impossible. No-one chose or wants more red tape, cost, delay,only being able to do things at the whim of foreign officials. Where's the sovereignty in that? Surely the very definition of sovereignty is being able to choose the outcomes we want? Yet Brexit means we get fewer of the outcomes we want.

Am I missing something obvious?
  • Options

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

Time to just do it.

You wouldn't need one. It's only 30.48 cm wide and 50.8mm deep.
This discussion has been closed.