Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Liz Truss now edges above Sunak in latest CONHome members’ survey – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited December 2020 in General
imageLiz Truss now edges above Sunak in latest CONHome members’ survey – politicalbetting.com

I do like the way month by month CON home carries its survey of the views of party members on Cabinet ministers and the latest has a new leader – Liz Truss Secretary of State for International Trade and President of the Board of Trade and former President of the Oxford University Liberal Democrats.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I didn't know that Truss experimented with the Lib Dems at university. Presumably her Labour-supporting parents were glad to see her go full Tory, better to pick a side at least.
  • Options

I didn't know that Truss experimented with the Lib Dems at university. Presumably her Labour-supporting parents were glad to see her go full Tory, better to pick a side at least.

She was a Republican as well.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    In Liz we Truss (to deliver us a Labour majority)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Worse, she was a Remainer.
  • Options
    The problem Truss would have in any leadership contest is that she manages to enrage the Tory Taliban.

She does have form.
  • Options

I knew there was a reason I didn't like her.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Most us experiment with wacky back.
  • Options

Is why I like her, we Tory Republicans generally don't admit our opposition to a hereditary head of state in public.

But we do exist.
  • Options
    Has she recently done something to explain this rise? What have I missed?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Got to be the silly season, surely.
  • Options
    She was a terrible Lord Chancellor, an absolute disgrace, as she quietly went along with the assault on the judiciary.

Put it this way, she has less integrity some GOPers.
  • Options

She's been banging on about all the new trade deals she's signed with the rest of the world, but in reality they are at best rollover of our existing conditions.
  • Options

She was a terrible Lord Chancellor, an absolute disgrace, as she quietly went along with the assault on the judiciary.

Judging by recent leaders of the big parties I am assuming this information is corroborating the tip?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

She's making Global Britain Great Again.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1334472682184859648
  • Options

Is why I like her, we Tory Republicans generally don't admit our opposition to a hereditary head of state in public.

But we do exist.
    Aren't there a surprisingly large number of Tory Republicans on this site? I've always found the Royal Family the least offensive part of the English class system, personally. On balance I think they're a good thing, although you could make a case for their abolition on compassionate grounds.
  • Options

Judging by recent leaders of the big parties I am assuming this information is corroborating the tip?
    Sadly I think you're right.
  • Options

I remember telling an American that republicans were not at all popular in the UK. He, as a Democrat was very pleased, and I didn't have the heart to explain.
  • Options
    F1: I'll be off fairly shortly, but practice 2: practice harder will be starting shortly.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

To be fair a lot of agreements have been done/rolled over. If this was the only one you may have had a point.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Re header - I`m not surprised. Some Conservative voters are very unhappy about the amount of money that Sunak is chucking around.
  • Options
    All six open states at 1.04. Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.03
    Democrats 1.03
    Biden PV 1.02
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.03
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.03
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.05
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.05
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.04
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.05
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 no offers

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.04
    MI Dem 1.04
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.04
    WI Dem 1.04

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.12
    Trump exit date 2021 1.06
  • Options

She's been banging on about all the new trade deals she's signed with the rest of the world, but in reality they are at best rollover of our existing conditions.
    Ah, I see. Lots of appearances on the front page of the Daily Express with a Union Jack halo I take it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited December 2020
    Anyhoo, she's a homewrecker, the blue rinse mob hate that type of woman.
  • Options

Anyhoo, she's a homewrecker, the blue rinse mob hate that of woman.

Its the blue kippers in charge now, not the blue rinsers.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Specalised perversions, innit? Thay's what uni is for, to try them out without M and D knowing.
  • Options

But the membership still has the final say.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited December 2020
    Re education (and last thread) -- people here are out of touch. It's not just about schools any more. The rapidly expanding parts of private education are tutoring, and tutoring for groups in what used to be shops. I pass three or four of these places on my daily walk to buy fish and chips. At least one pb regular is a private tutor, of course.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

But we do exist.
    Aren't there a surprisingly large number of Tory Republicans on this site? I've always found the Royal Family the least offensive part of the English class system, personally. On balance I think they're a good thing, although you could make a case for their abolition on compassionate grounds.
    None of them are actually genuine Tories of course, including the LD voting TSE and the New Labour and Farage voting Philip Thompson
  • Options

But the membership still has the final say.
    Members average age 57, 71% male, blue rinsers are the past in more ways than one.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,696
    What was the point of the long Welsh lockdown. Did it achieve anything?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    None of them are actually genuine Tories of course, including the LD voting TSE and the New Labour and Farage voting Philip Thompson
    For a second I thought you meant the Royal Family are not genuine Tories! Mind you, it was often said HMQ's favourite PM was Harold Wilson (when they weren't saying it was Winston or Maggie).
  • Options
    John O'Groats-Land's End 'record speed' driver cleared

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-55177486

His winning defence seems to have been a told a load of lies.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,649
    HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    You’re just a Phanatique.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

I don't believe trade between the UK and North Macedonia is worth anywhere near £1.8bn.

See: https://oec.world/en/profile/country/mkd#:~:text=The top imports of North,, and Cars ($241M).
  • Options

Why did the police take his blog at face value?
  • Options

I thought the GPS data in his car and phone proved that he must have broken the speed limit?
  • Options
    Greater Manchester councils have become the latest to pause rapid testing for care home visitors over concerns they fail to detect enough infections.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55188183
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    Bewildering lack of cheese jokes.

If nobody else can be bothered, nor can I.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I don't believe trade between the UK and North Macedonia is worth anywhere near £1.8bn.

See: https://oec.world/en/profile/country/mkd#:~:text=The top imports of North,, and Cars ($241M).
    It says exports to UK alone worth $1bn, so not too far fetched?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

But we do exist.
    Their advantages are negative, but irresistible nonetheless. They don't have to steal everything, because they already own everything, and they don't have to change the rules to stay in place for another four years, or for life, because they are already in place for life. This makes things safer and more comfortable all round.

TSE is a passionate repressed francophile, and just can't hear the garlic-munching scoundrels maundering on in their ridiculous accent about mongseer le prayseedawn without thinking, sacré bleu, I want some of that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

She didnt say over how many years it is worth £1.8bn.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    For a second I thought you meant the Royal Family are not genuine Tories! Mind you, it was often said HMQ's favourite PM was Harold Wilson (when they weren't saying it was Winston or Maggie).
    I believe he was, Prince Charles is the definition of a LD if ever there was one, Prince Harry (if he still counts as royal) and Meghan are definitely now Starmer Labour. Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge and maybe Camilla and the Duke of Edinburgh are Tories, though the Cambridges of the Cameroon kind, I think only the Queen Mother was a Thatcherite and reputedly sympathetic to UKIP
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What was the point of the long Welsh lockdown. Did it achieve anything?

Info on PT from @rkrkrk is that infections now are approx one third what they were projected to be (now) if there had been no firebreak.

In which case it did achieve something - being that many less infections.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I can't say I like either of them. Sunak's naked ambition would embarrass Trump and Truss doesn't seem much more engaging than Long Bailey. Time to call for the heavy guns. Get George Osborne back.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    Well I've never voted Tory and I don't support the Union anymore, but I am still a loyal subject of HMQ. Perhaps I will be given a cushy spot in your gulag, breaking not very hard rocks, serving Philip Thomson his 17 daily cups of decaf coffee or making sure TSE eats up the pineapple on his pizza.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    Well I've never voted Tory and I don't support the Union anymore, but I am still a loyal subject of HMQ. Perhaps I will be given a cushy spot in your gulag, breaking not very hard rocks, serving Philip Thomson his 17 daily cups of decaf coffee or making sure TSE eats up the pineapple on his pizza.
    Well as Philip Thompson does not support the Union either, that makes you more of a Tory than he is still in my book
  • Options

Greater Manchester councils have become the latest to pause rapid testing for care home visitors over concerns they fail to detect enough infections.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55188183

Too many false negatives?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Re education (and last thread) -- people here are out of touch. It's not just about schools any more. The rapidly expanding parts of private education are tutoring, and tutoring for groups in what used to be shops. I pass three or four of these places on my daily walk to buy fish and chips. At least one pb regular is a private tutor, of course.

Indeed. I was surprised to find just now how many hits on Google for 'common entrance' exams are such establishments.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Wasn't he the guy who had a rolling refuelling rig built out of an Audi estate? It was a very funny post. But wasn't remotely real.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The problem Truss would have in any leadership contest is that she manages to enrage the Tory Taliban.

She does have form.

Because of all the affairs?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    Decaf?

That's an easy assumption to make but I can't recall seeing it confirmed.
  • Options
    The reason Johnson is down to 2.9 is because in the immortal words of Jess Phillips "He's a liar. He's just a liar" . There was a time when the zeitgeist was happy with liars whether daubed on the side of busses or sent out on tweets but not now. The pendulum has swung and It doesn't look like it'll swing back soon.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    rcs1000 said:

There’s some reasonable wine in North Macedonia.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    Andy_JS said:

His defence was even more "interesting". He claimed he did make the trip but he was not the driver. He said he was a passenger in a similar looking Audi which was being driven by Irish friends he met within the car enthusiast community.

Present but not involved....
  • Options
    Mayor of Liverpool arrested for swindling! Not good for Labour if true
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    I believe he was, Prince Charles is the definition of a LD if ever there was one, Prince Harry (if he still counts as royal) and Meghan are definitely now Starmer Labour. Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge and maybe Camilla and the Duke of Edinburgh are Tories, though the Cambridges of the Cameroon kind, I think only the Queen Mother was a Thatcherite and reputedly sympathetic to UKIP
    Any insider thoughts on the likely next Tory leader?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Surprisingly, it's not total bollocks. The combined value of bilateral trade was about £1.2bn ($1.7bn) in 2019 according to IMF data. So the figure looks wrong, but in the right kind of ballpark. In fact by the standards of government ministers discussing economic statistics I would say it is highly accurate.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

She does have form.

Are you trying to empty parliament?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

But we do exist.
    Their advantages are negative, but irresistible nonetheless. They don't have to steal everything, because they already own everything, and they don't have to change the rules to stay in place for another four years, or for life, because they are already in place for life. This makes things safer and more comfortable all round.

TSE is a passionate repressed francophile, and just can't hear the garlic-munching scoundrels maundering on in their ridiculous accent about mongseer le prayseedawn without thinking, sacré bleu, I want some of that.
    Repressed Francophole? LOL next you'll be saying on Christmas Eve I'll be watching Die Hard whilst eating a pizza with pineapple on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    Sunak but we have to get the Brexit Deal sorted and Covid vaccination sorted first before even considering that and Boris can stay leader and PM for the foreseeable as far as I am concerned
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    Decaf?

That's an easy assumption to make but I can't recall seeing it confirmed.
    Decaf is what he gets in the HYUFD gulag for the doctrinally impure. I believe that IRL he is more wired that Status Quo at the Band Aid recording.
  • Options

To be fair to Liz Truss, she has at least been getting on with the job of achieving the continuity trade deals to replace a small amount of what we would otherwise be losing. It's no more than any average minister in her position should be able to do, but in this government a spot of average competence does rather stand out as excellent in comparison to, say, the Education department. Of course, she massively overstates the importance of these deals, which no doubt endears her to the faithful. The 100-1 does look worth a small punt.

The Cabinet minister who seems to be most underrated is Thérèse Coffey, who seems to be quietly getting on with her job and under whose management the DWP seems to have managed the huge additional take-up of Universal Credit without any of the usual screw-ups. I suppose quiet competence counts for little, though. You need to add a Sunak-style dose of self-promotion.

Coffey has a +41% rating ie higher than Boris and most of the Cabinet with ConHome readers so not bad
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    kinabalu said:

Well that's curdled my enthusiasm.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

But we do exist.

Repressed Francophole? LOL next you'll be saying on Christmas Eve I'll be watching Die Hard whilst eating a pizza with pineapple on it.
    At the Oxford Pizza Express no doubt.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Oh like they'd be in any danger in Liverpool even if every single MP and elected politician there was elected for corruption.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

But we do exist.

At the Oxford Pizza Express no doubt.
    I've heard that the Woking Pizza Express is the best, people go there and still remember and talk about it decades later.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The reason Johnson is down to 2.9 is because in the immortal words of Jess Phillips "He's a liar. He's just a liar" . There was a time when the zeitgeist was happy with liars whether daubed on the side of busses or sent out on tweets but not now. The pendulum has swung and It doesn't look like it'll swing back soon.

For Conhomers to have taken against Boris that badly... He's got a problem, hasn't he?
  • Options
    Second best country in the world...

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1334898658005966848
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

She does have form.

Yes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

To be fair to Liz Truss, she has at least been getting on with the job of achieving the continuity trade deals to replace a small amount of what we would otherwise be losing. It's no more than any average minister in her position should be able to do, but in this government a spot of average competence does rather stand out as excellent in comparison to, say, the Education department. Of course, she massively overstates the importance of these deals, which no doubt endears her to the faithful. The 100-1 does look worth a small punt.

The Cabinet minister who seems to be most underrated is Thérèse Coffey, who seems to be quietly getting on with her job and under whose management the DWP seems to have managed the huge additional take-up of Universal Credit without any of the usual screw-ups. I suppose quiet competence counts for little, though. You need to add a Sunak-style dose of self-promotion.

Liz Truss looks a lot better because Liam Fox was absolutely useless. A lot of what she's achieved should have been done immediately after the 2016 vote. Instead Fox prioritised a US trade deal after Trump was elected and anyone with more than 4 brain cells could work out that any trade deal that passed through Congress would never make it through Parliament.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

It's no good just being good at your job, people need to know you are doing a good job. Since PMs don't want competition, you have to promote yourself with colleagues and the public I imagine. People won't notice you, you have to make them notice you. Unfortunately, the Boris's of the world are the best at being noticed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    The only genuine Tory in the village speaketh.
  • Options

She's a bit rubbish on the media/self promotion front.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/marcus-rashford-slams-therese-coffey-over-tweet-on-water-supply-amid-free-school-meals-campaign

TBF she's not the only politician to screw up when dealing with Marcus Rashford.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Well that's curdled my enthusiasm.
    Stil tons of time
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    The UAE has - I think - approved one of the Chinese vaccines.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:

Coffey has a +41% rating ie higher than Boris and most of the Cabinet with ConHome readers so not bad
    Coffey is another woman at or near the top of government with a background in science (she has a PhD in chemistry).
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

That's dollars - so £725m. For their exports, we're $125m.

That's £800m total, or less than half the claimed amount.

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Roger said:

Quite the opposite. He's been telling them the truth - that Covid is real and we have to do something about it, that we might just possibly want an agreement with that large landmass hovering off our shores - and they don't much care for it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    Rishi Sunak is most likely.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Andy_JS said:

I knew a colleague who swore he left UEA (Norwich) at 2pm, to give a 5 pm lecture at Exeter (around 300 miles) and made it on time... Lots of motorway, but even so...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

That's dollars - so £725m. For their exports, we're $125m.

That's £800m total, or less than half the claimed amount.

Other comments here suggest it is in the right ballpark.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    BBC: "France could veto a deal if it is not in the interests of the fishing industry."

A veto would be good for French fisherfolk?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731

HYUFD said:

Coffey is another woman at or near the top of government with a background in science (she has a PhD in chemistry).
    Coffey is excellent. Best of the lot. I like Badenoch as well.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

Makes a change from banging other women’s husbands.

I wish I could get that image of Truss above Sunak out of my head though...
  • Options
    geoffw said:

BBC: "France could veto a deal if it is not in the interests of the fishing industry."

No, it would be much worse.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Oh like they'd be in any danger in Liverpool even if every single MP and elected politician there was elected for corruption.
    That's true but it doesn't do the Labour brand much good particularly as this thing looks like it's going to be big. I always liked the Mayor of Liverpool. He reminded me of what Len McClusky could have been like.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

But we do exist.
    As far as I can tell, there is only one true Tory in the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I think you might have put your finger on a slight problemette with their position...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, went to a drinks reception with her last year, she was very knowledgeable and with a PhD in Chemistry and business experience at Mars makes a change for those complaining there are too many PPE grad, ex Spads in Cabinet
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Hmm, 'elected for corruption'. Freudian slip?
  • Options
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

That's true but it doesn't do the Labour brand much good particularly as this thing looks like it's going to be big. I always liked the Mayor of Liverpool. He reminded me of what Len McClusky could have been like.
    Well, he may be innocent. Or at least not provably guilty.
  • Options

geoffw said:

I think you might have put your finger on a slight problemette with their position...
    Appearing to be tough with the British is a vote winner in France shocker.
  • Options
    I don't know why Matt Goodwin is getting his knickers in a twist over these stats.

It shows the BBC are recruiting the best, not some uneducated plebs who think Sinai is the plural of sinus.

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1334918796151230465
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Appearing to be tough with the British is a vote winner in France shocker.
    Yebbut talk is cheap, as even French fisherfolk know.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293

Shouldn’t that be small r ?
  • Options

I thought the GPS data in his car and phone proved that he must have broken the speed limit?
    Re the earlier mention of ID cards today, if the govt cant get a conviction here with all the ANPR and mobile phone data we have little to fear from the govt surveillance concern on ID cards.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Shouldn’t that be small r ?
    It should, but blame my iPad, because I've been talking lots about GOP it has started to automatically capitalise Republican.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Makes a change from banging other women’s husbands.

I wish I could get that image of Truss above Sunak out of my head though...
    By several inches, I think ?
  • Options
    Thundersnow on the BBC news now. Woke me up at 5am.
This discussion has been closed.