Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Cummings out with immediate effect – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2020 in General
Cummings out with immediate effect – politicalbetting.com

Dominic Cummings has now decided to leave Number 10 today for good – (subtle hint walking out with a box – Lee Cain also now out from today

Read the full story here

Comments

• First on the Cummings and goings.
  • Trump - Cummings - Corbyn - Farage all yesterday's men

Great end to a terrible year for so many
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Glad there wasn't a Cummings to Stay Market as I would have backed the wrong horse
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    All that political capital to keep him around, wasted. Boris is rubbish at politics.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    Off for an eye test?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    4D checkmate.
  • TimT said:
    sadly I am not a subscriber. Any chance of some meat on the bones?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    He finally went too far with those whinges about taking others with him over Cain? People don't mind people a figurehead, they may not even mind if people make fun of them for being a figurehead, but if they are supposed to be in actual control they may not like their éminence* grise telling them to their face they are just a figurehead.

*for TSE
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited November 2020

TimT said:
    150 secret service agents have COVID as a result of Trump's campaigning.

Edit, should read 130, not 150
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,919

TimT said:
    “More than 130 Secret Service officers are said to be infected with coronavirus or quarantining in wake of Trump’s campaign travel...”

is the short version. Trump didn’t care how many people he killed so long as he got re-elected.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    MaxPB said:

All that political capital to keep him around, wasted. Boris is rubbish at politics.

Yep - the irony is that Boris didn't need to do anything. The best game play (as I've said multiple times) was to ask Cummings to tender his resignation and for Boris to reject it due to the current crisis.

Well said. This is an excellent day.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,130
    edited November 2020
    Phil said:

TimT said:
    “More than 130 Secret Service officers are said to be infected with coronavirus or quarantining in wake of Trump’s campaign travel...”

is the short version. Trump didn’t care how many people he killed so long as he got re-elected.
    I thought there was some doubt about how many got it in the White House itself? but same reason really - the President's attitude must have been a key factpr.
  • Classic Dom.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Carnyx said:

Phil said:

TimT said:

I thought there was some doubt about how many got it in the White House itself? but same reason really - the President's attitude must have been a key factpr.
    Don't forget that the Secret Service details have had to accompany him to all the campaign events, not just the White House one, where Trump has not worn a mask and has encourage his entourage and supporters not to wear them either
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Boris is going to have to roll up his sleeves and do some work now.....
    That was a very obvious open goal, she generally seems much more on the ball than that. Plus the question others have raised about what is the right amount to spend on it.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,919
    Carnyx said:

Phil said:

TimT said:

Oh sure, some of them probably caught it from non-mask wearing Trumpists on the campaign trail. Which is still Trump’s fault. How many secret service personnel around Biden are infected / isolating? I bet it’s single digits at most.
    Late to the party, but I'm skeptical Trump's tantrums will hurt the GOP in the runoffs, though it'd be nice to think so. Sure it is bad, but he's been acting in character so not sure that it would harm them that much, particularly as people can disassociate from him and the candidates (yes, even though they are vocally backing him).
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2020

TimT said:
    130 Secret Service members involved in protection at Trump rallies either diagnosed with Covid or isolating.
    We'll find out in 6 months it was Cummings' idea, and he even planned to leave at a time that the hacks could get a good snap of him with a traditional 'just been sacked' box, aren't we?
  • Carrie sez Dom doesn't live here any more.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    One has to wonder if all new GOP house members are this far off the deep end https://twitter.com/mtgreenee
    Well they were leaking their whinges to the press (since they will have whinged to allies, it makes no sense that iwas someone else), or at least Dom's whinges, in a way that presented Boris as subservient, so they were basically doing that.
    Scott_xP said:
    If they give up on NV then that puts Biden securely at 270 regardless of what schenanignas happen in PA and GA.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    Scott_xP said:
    Arizona is the narrowest margin, by some distance. Is that it?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    FPT:
    It's only 11 months since the GE, and it looks like there's a bit of chaos at the heart of government - it usually takes longer than that. Still, permanent revolution can be a good thing, I'm told. I'm struggling, though, to identify any real achievements since GE 2019. Brexit not really done yet - the microwave hasn't been working for the oven-ready deal. The Garden of England turned into a lorry park, Probably a lot more dead than there should have been. The Civil Service totally pissed off but not actually reformed. I don't think Dom's CV update will look that good.

But.... 2020 is now looking a whole lot better than it did a fortnight ago.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,609
    Alistair said:

TimT said:
    130 Secret Service members involved in protection at Trump rallies either diagnosed with Covid or isolating.
    Non-paywall version of the story here -

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/11/expansive-white-house-covid-outbreak-sidelines-10-of-secret-service/
    Pulpstar said:

One has to wonder if all new GOP house members are this far off the deep end https://twitter.com/mtgreenee

Judging by her posts, by current standards I'd say she was a moderate...
    Scott_xP said:
    How dared people suggest unevidenced assertions of significant issues might be a bit flimsy? There were questions to be raised here after all.
  • Scott_xP said:
    Wow he is literally just out the door and his erstwhile colleagues are already tripping over themselves to stab him in the back. They really are a nest of vipers.
    But also just so fucking trivial. We are about to face the most jarring disruption to our international trading relationships in decades, in the midst of a global pandemic that has already killed tens of thousands of British people, while UK GDP has fallen more than that of any other major economy and the Treasury has run up record amounts of debt, and here they all are, obsessed with this tawdry Oxford Union soap opera. Pathetic.
  • Pulpstar said:

Hmm. God, guns and gays.

What a choice.

Maybe I'd just burn my ballot.
  • Pulpstar said:

Hmm. God, guns and gays.

What a choice.

Maybe I'd just burn my ballot.
    GOPers would try and argue that's a vote in favour of them.

Scott_xP said:
    Wow he is literally just out the door and his erstwhile colleagues are already tripping over themselves to stab him in the back. They really are a nest of vipers.
    But also just so fucking trivial. We are about to face the most jarring disruption to our international trading relationships in decades, in the midst of a global pandemic that has already killed tens of thousands of British people, while UK GDP has fallen more than that of any other major economy and the Treasury has run up record amounts of debt, and here they all are, obsessed with this tawdry Oxford Union soap opera. Pathetic.
    There is something in what you say, particularly as he was/has been made up to be too much of a powerful bogeyman to be credible, so you are right it really is quite trivial.

I do however take slight issue with the nest of vipers thing though, because by all accounts he proudly associates himself as the King Viper. He helped build the snake pit because he likes things that way. Such a man should expect a knife in the back, like a medieval spymaster.
  • Chris said:

Scott_xP said:
    Arizona 11k, Georgia 14K, Nevada 35K, Pennsylvania 58K.

Given the biggest change in ballot counts ever was 1200....
  • From a very non political friend.

God who says Friday 13th is bad luck. First Sutcliffe and now this (the resignation of Cummings.)
  • FPT:
    It's only 11 months since the GE, and it looks like there's a bit of chaos at the heart of government - it usually takes longer than that. Still, permanent revolution can be a good thing, I'm told. I'm struggling, though, to identify any real achievements since GE 2019. Brexit not really done yet - the microwave hasn't been working for the oven-ready deal. The Garden of England turned into a lorry park, Probably a lot more dead than there should have been. The Civil Service totally pissed off but not actually reformed. I don't think Dom's CV update will look that good.

It's a sign of an imminent Brexit deal, IMHO, to which no doubt Cummings was an obstacle with State Aid.

Note James Forsyth (husband of Allegra Stratton, new No.10 press secretary who in turn is a close friend of Carrie) bigging up the need for a deal and highlighting the dangers of No Deal today.

I think the UK and EU are moving in on a final compromise, and yes I expect both sides to compromise.
  • Nigelb said:
    He needs to have a word in his boy Brendan's ear in the case - tone down the stuff about Remoaner elites waging war on democracy.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    This is the one current Trump litigation that you can make a genuine case for.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394
    Scotland calling. Might seem small beer compared to the Cummings/Cain exodus but things are mighty murky at Holyrood. Worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond-inquiry-crisis-after-23006173

You voted for those who put Cummings right there in Downing Street.
  • I think now is clearly the time to go back in on Biden at 1.08.

The thing is I'm bored with this election
    and the Trump drama and can't be arsed anymore.

Even if it costs me £140 extra profit.

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:
    Arizona 11k, Georgia 14K, Nevada 35K, Pennsylvania 58K.

Given the biggest change in ballot counts ever was 1200....
    Well, Wisconsin is 20,540. But if they are giving up on Arizona surely that has to be the end of the pretence.
  • A couple of days ago it was suggested that as well as Cummings and Cain going, Lord Frost was considering his position.

Any news on him, as that would impact the Brexit talks?
  • Ah, just read that Carrie is also a huge environmentalist. That explains a few things.
  • kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    There is something in what you say, particularly as he was/has been made up to be too much of a powerful bogeyman to be credible, so you are right it really is quite trivial.

I do however take slight issue with the nest of vipers thing though, because by all accounts he proudly associates himself as the King Viper. He helped build the snake pit because he likes things that way. Such a man should expect a knife in the back, like a medieval spymaster.
    Yes I certainly have no sympathy with Mr Cummings himself, who as you say seems to have thrived on this kind of sad adversarial nonsense. It's just the sheer unrelenting triviality of the people running the country at such a pivotal and dangerous moment in our history that I find so depressing.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited November 2020

Scott_xP said:
    I agree, but at the same time his departure so early could have a major effect on the shape of the Brexit negotiations at a crucial moment. I think that may be partly why the media is covering it in this way, although that's obviously not all there is to it, and there's an element of personality politics and soap opera here as well.
  • Roy_G_Biv said:

Trump - Cummings - Corbyn - Farage all yesterday's men

And how many voted to have Corbyn destroy the Labour party
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited November 2020
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's the narrowest margin by some distance, but also has the strictest recount rules. If Trump wants to carry on fundraising he can still pretend to continue to contest PA+WI+GA.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2020
    Labour National Executive Committee elections results published

CLP section
    9 reps elected are

Luke AKEHURST (Labour to Win)
    Laura PIDCOCK (Grassroots Voice)
    Johanna BAXTER (Labour to Win)
    Gemma BOLTON (Grassroots Voice)
    Gurinder Singh JOSAN (Labour to Win)
    Ann BLACK (Open Labour)
    Yasmine DAR (Grassroots Voice)
    Nadia JAMA (Grassroots Voice)
    Mish RAHMAN (Grassroots Voice)

For the first time they used STV for NEC elections.

FPT:

It's a sign of an imminent Brexit deal, IMHO, to which no doubt Cummings was an obstacle with State Aid.

Note James Forsyth (husband of Allegra Stratton, new No.10 press secretary who in turn is a close friend of Carrie) bigging up the need for a deal and highlighting the dangers of No Deal today.

I think the UK and EU are moving in on a final compromise, and yes I expect both sides to compromise.
    The defeat of Trump, a vaccine and a Brexit deal all coming at once? Somebody must have been saving up all this year's luck until November.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    Dom’s demise has obscured the news that the left appears to have lost two seats in Labour’s NEC elections, though a bit better than had been expected according to Labour List. Laura Pidcock (who she - ed) was successful.
  • Scotland calling. Might seem small beer compared to the Cummings/Cain exodus but things are mighty murky at Holyrood. Worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond-inquiry-crisis-after-23006173

Hope springs eternal!
  • Roy_G_Biv said:

Don't really know what Corbyn has to do with your manifestly bad choices. I can say with some certainty you had more than two options on your ballot paper.
  • Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Don't really know what Corbyn has to do with your manifestly bad choices. I can say with some certainty you had more than two options on your ballot paper.
    I have not made a bad choice, I am a conservative member and support the party
  • Chris said:

FPT:

The defeat of Trump, a vaccine and a Brexit deal all coming at once? Somebody must have been saving up all this year's luck until November.
    BBV has been the rallying call on many a Tory WhatsApp group for months.
  • JohnO said:

Dom’s demise has obscured the news that the left appears to have lost two seats in Labour’s NEC elections, though a bit better than had been expected according to Labour List. Laura Pidcock (who she - ed) was successful.

They changed the election system from First 9 Past the Post to STV. So both main slates run only 6 candidates.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2020
    Lara McNeil (Left) re-elected as NEC Youth Member Representative
    Ellen Morrison (Left) won the NEC Disabled Members Representative place
    Carwyn Jones (Labour to win) unseats Mick Antoniw for the Welsh Rep role.
    Nick Forbes and Alice Perry (Labour to win) re-elected in the Local government section
    Diana Holland re-elected as Treasurer
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Phil said:

TimT said:

"Or quarantining". Presumably the actual number with CV19 is in the low double digits.
  • If I was a Tory MP, constantly belittled by Cummings for years, I would now make sure the legislation to set up his precious Advanced Research Projects quango never gets near Royal Assent.

• Labour National Executive Committee elections results published

CLP section
    9 reps elected are

Ann BLACK (Open Labour)

Grassroots Voice is presumably the Communists?
  • Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    edited November 2020

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Yes, you support the party that put Dominic Cummings in the heart of government. That's a bad choice on your own terms.

Chris said:

FPT:

Blood-borne virus?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Camps in Calais raided by CRS again today. Tents and sleeping bags slashed. People forced onto buses and taken to random places in France where they are dumped with nothing. Furthest away that has been identified is Marseilles.
    Its pretty extraordinary really.

All these people are desperate to come to the UK. Can't think why.

CLP section
    9 reps elected are

Ann BLACK (Open Labour)

Labour To Win voters clearly can't be arsed to scroll down, if you want to get on the NEC you need to change your name to Aardvark.
  • Scott_xP said:
    But the reason we are facing "the most jarring disruption to our international trading relationships in decades" is precisely because of this man. Without his wittering about State Aid, a deal would have been done weeks ago.
  • One senior Tory said: 'I've never been sent so many emojis of champagne and wine glasses.'
  • Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Yes, you support the party that put Dominic Cummings in the heart of government. That's a bad choice on your own terms.
    Cummings was not an issue for me until he went to Durham.

That ended my support and he should have been sacked

He has been sacked today so better late than never
  • Chris said:

FPT:

Chris said:

Chris said:

FPT:

Blood-borne virus?
    Biden Brexit Vaccine

CLP section
    9 reps elected are

Ann BLACK (Open Labour)

The far left were 7-2 on the CLP section, temporarily 6-2 with Wilsman suspended.

Now they're down to 5-4, so the far left have lost net 4.

Also, Carwyn Jones has replaced the Welsh Corbyn-supporting rep.

That's a big win for Starmer.
    edited November 2020
    Clear as mud as usual from the Downing Street professionals :

http://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1327313229807312898
  • JohnO said:

That's a relatively good result for the Labour left getting 5/6 of the GV candidates elected and considering the no. of left wingers who may have recently quit the party. Ann Henderson presumably didn't get elected because there is a really low membership in Scotland and which is not skewed to the left.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,130

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Apparently not. Graun says he's still working for Mr J and No. 10 for another month.
  • The Premier League has scrapped its pay-per-view method for matches until at least the new year
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    edited November 2020
    Evening all :)

I suppose the question now becomes how the Government's presentation and "tone" will adapt. Those that got Johnson into power are gone and he is now looking less Presidential and more like the leader of a collective Government (primus inter pares so to speak).

Is the parallel the departure of Sir Alan Walters from the Thatcher Government? Once again the lesson is politics is best left to the politicians - advisers can advise but that doesn't mean they are the Government. Ministers may feel a shade more empowered but a shade more exposed - that's no bad thing.

As for Johnson, I think this will help - he can be his own man (as long as he does what Allegra and Carrie tell him) but he has to now take that step forward and embrace the authority and the responsibility. It's been an incredibly difficult year and would have been for any PM but there's a huge opportunity to build on what has happened so that post-Covid Britain isn't just pre-Covid Britain.
    edited November 2020
    The timing is obviously very important. If he carries on having some input until the end of the Brexit negotiations, the outcome might obviously be very different. The story seems to be all over the place , and maybe he's threatened his way back to some sort of role.

CLP section
    9 reps elected are

Ann BLACK (Open Labour)

The far left were 7-2 on the CLP section, temporarily 6-2 with Wilsman suspended.

Now they're down to 5-4, so the far left have lost net 4.

Also, Carwyn Jones has replaced the Welsh Corbyn-supporting rep.

That's a big win for Starmer.
    While I do not share his politics Carwyn Jones was an infinitely better First Minister than the useless Drakeford
  • JohnO said:

That's a relatively good result for the Labour left getting 5/6 of the GV candidates elected and considering the no. of left wingers who may have recently quit the party. Ann Henderson presumably didn't get elected because there is a really low membership in Scotland and which is not skewed to the left.
    The result was delayed for hours because they were trying to identify those who resigned from Labour and then cast their vote from those who cast their vote and then resigned.
    The former were taken out. The latter were included.
  • Carnyx said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Apparently not. Graun says he's still working for Mr J and No. 10 for another month.
    Notice period maybe but he is over
This discussion has been closed.