Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cummings out with immediate effect – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Two complete and utter liars. Which one to believe?

I'm stumped.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

He's just conceded!

You sure ?
    "We hope their won't be a lockdown... THIS administration will never have a lockdown... We obviously won't know what... whatever happens ... but THIS administration will not have a lockdown...".

Sounds to me like he's given up.
    He was as close to conceding as he's going to get at the moment. he nearly said 'the next administration' but stopped himself.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    IshmaelZ said:

It feels a bit as if the narrative is that Johnson is the battered wife finally freed after years of controlling torment by her abuser, hurray! And that is not a narrative that should be allowed to take hold. We should be tough on Cummings, and tough on the causes of Cummings.

And we have had this twice in a row, Nick Timothy was only marginally less gruesome than Cummings. Vote Tory and you are not voting for the party leader but for some utterly creepy rasputin figure in the shadows.

Don't forget Steve Hilton. He generally gets a pass for being a harmless, barefoot hippy. But he was equally weird in his own way.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

It feels a bit as if the narrative is that Johnson is the battered wife finally freed after years of controlling torment by her abuser, hurray! And that is not a narrative that should be allowed to take hold. We should be tough on Cummings, and tough on the causes of Cummings.

And we have had this twice in a row, Nick Timothy was only marginally less gruesome than Cummings. Vote Tory and you are not voting for the party leader but for some utterly creepy rasputin figure in the shadows.

Don't forget Steve Hilton. He generally gets a pass for being a harmless, barefoot hippy. But he was equally weird in his own way.
    I don't know what happens in these famous public schools. They seem to turn out leaders who lack self-confidence in their ability to just get on with the job themselves.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    He started saying he hoped the incoming administration would hopefully not introduce a lockdown but changed it mid sentence to say but who knows what is going to happen.
    It was clear what was in his mind.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I wonder if he has any concept of the logistical effort needed to deploy a vaccine. The choices and priorities that need to be made etc etc. He gives the impression that once he gets the vaccines approved it'll all be over in a matter of weeks.

The fear that they would screw up the distribution was why the New York Governor made his comments earlier in the week that he was having a go at.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    So Biden 306 Trump 232

When will Betfair and Spreadex settle? Sigh.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    Scott_xP said:
    CNN cut away from the general who was talking a lot and saying nothing. The Donald had finished.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Correction. Spreadex have just settled. Whoop.

Just leaving Betfair who still haven't paid out on the Democrats winning Pennsylvania nor my bet on Biden 300 - 329 ECVs.

Grrrrr ....
  • Options

Just leaving Betfair who still haven't paid out on the Democrats winning Pennsylvania nor my bet on Biden 300 - 329 ECVs.

Grrrrr ....

Betfair will always be ultra cautious because they are settling both winners and losers, I'm afraid.
  • Options
  • Options
    The quality of lawyers he's got left, i wouldn't be surprised if they're working pro-bono hoping for future favours.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,672
    edited November 2020

If only Cumstain had left after the Durham escapade he could have been on I'm a Celebrity by now. There's always next year.

We do not want him here in North Wales thank you

My daughter and family live near to Gwrych Castle and the whole area is bouncing with 'celebrity' fans and the famous

It has been a huge boost to Abergele
    Good for it - it has been known only as the site of a railway disaster, at least in my experience.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Not the Trump family I should cocoa.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

The Dominion voting system is surely backed up by the Jem'Hadar.

I want more of this sort of thing on PB.com.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,599
    The dupes in the MAGA hats.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,672

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

I don't know what happens in these famous public schools. They seem to turn out leaders who lack self-confidence in their ability to just get on with the job themselves.

They turn out orficers who stand about while the other ranks do the work, one can only conclude.

However - I visited one some years back and the antechapel was heartbreaking. Brass plaques from floor to ceiling, commemorating the Great War dead.

But there is more to life than standingf around in an officer-like manner.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Brussels is making an overt link between full fishing access to UK waters and maintaining normal energy flows through the interconnectors
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/11/13/eu-hints-brexit-energy-blockade-power-blackouts-hollow-threat/

Popcorn!
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Brussels is making an overt link between full fishing access to UK waters and maintaining normal energy flows through the interconnectors
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/11/13/eu-hints-brexit-energy-blockade-power-blackouts-hollow-threat/

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,053
    I thought the Dominion voting system was one that brings This Corrosion from Mother Russia.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.
    Yeah, it's a bit far-fetched. But ...
    The Commission has conspicuously chosen not to deny a Bloomberg story on Thursday stating categorically that the EU is threatening an “energy blockade”, a claim that it would normally contest if untrue.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.
    The Commission has conspicuously chosen not to deny a Bloomberg story on Thursday stating categorically that the EU is threatening an “energy blockade”, a claim that it would normally contest if untrue.

It doesn't make sense because the big loser from us not being able to buy energy from France is Ireland because we sell them energy.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2020
    geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

I don't see what's far-fetched about it. If there's no deal there's no deal. There seems to be some bizarre idea in government that 'no deal' means 'well, not exactly no deal, but all the things we're most concerned about continue as though there were a deal'.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited November 2020
    geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Threatening a country's energy supply in order to force access to their resources? That's not a good look.
  • Options

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

I don't see what's far-fetched about it. If there's no deal there's no deal. There seems to be some bizarre idea in government that 'no deal' means that 'well, not exactly no deal, but all the things we're most concerned about continue as though there were a deal'.
    Tbf it is an idea far more widespread than just in the government.
  • Options
    Is there a book on whether Cummings has enough dirt on Johnson to bring him down?
  • Options

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

I don't see what's far-fetched about it. If there's no deal there's no deal. There seems to be some bizarre idea in government that 'no deal' means that 'well, not exactly no deal, but all the things we're most concerned about continue as though there were a deal'.
    France sells us the energy, not the EU. We sell the energy to Ireland, the EU doesn't buy it.
  • Options

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

The nub of the story is that we would cope well enough with this threat if it transpired. Even in no-deal.

• Options
    “Dom is going to have to face up to the fact that after spending years writing millions of words in his blogs, he has achieved nothing in government,” said one ministerial adviser.

Quoted in the FT.

I may die laughing tonight or choke on popcorn.
  • Options

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Threatening a country's energy supply in order to force access to their resources? That's not a good look.

There's a dictator in Russia who does the same thing...
  • Options

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

I think the point is that, as pointed about above, first of all the biggest problem it would cause would be for Ireland.

Secondly i don't think it would be in the EU's interests to fundamentally threaten UK national security (through blockading energy supply/food supply etc). There are plenty of ways that the EU can make things relatively worse/difficult for the UK, in a way that is likely to lead to political pressure on the UK Govt, without pushing them to a position where the response is quite likely not to be "OK we'll come back to the negotiating table" as opposed to an escalation, even potentially a military escalation as the UK seeks to protect itself.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

It doesn't make sense because the big loser from us not being able to buy energy from France is Ireland because we sell them energy.
    Interesting angle. So, 4-d chess in international relations.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

France sells us the energy, not the EU. We sell the energy to Ireland, the EU doesn't buy it.
    The EU regulates it, and, as you know, the EU is a regulatory superpower, probably the most important regulatory superpower of all.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Quincel said:

For that to happen there would need to be some sort of crossover between people who enjoy political minutiae and nerds. Doesn't seem plausible.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

I don't see what's far-fetched about it. If there's no deal there's no deal. There seems to be some bizarre idea in government that 'no deal' means 'well, not exactly no deal, but all the things we're most concerned about continue as though there were a deal'.
    Tariffs and regulations are one thing, a blockade is another.

I'm sure Dublin will be happy to have their interconnector cut off.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

The nub of the story is that we would cope well enough with this threat if it transpired. Even in no-deal.

Yes, it's a strange sort of threat because much of the energy we import from France is then reimported by Ireland. Additionally we buy most of our gas from Norway, I'm not sure they're going to stop exporting gas to the UK because the EU has told them so.

I doubt French companies who export energy to the UK will stop doing so on the say so of the EU either, or Irish companies importing from the UK on the same basis.

It's just about the oddest kind of threat they can come up with.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

The EU regulates it, and, as you know, the EU is a regulatory superpower, probably the most important regulatory superpower of all.
    So do they tell Ireland to stop importing energy from the UK as well?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

There's a dictator in Russia who does the same thing...
    Quite.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

I think the point is that, as pointed about above, first of all the biggest problem it would cause would be for Ireland.

Secondly i don't think it would be in the EU's interests to fundamentally threaten UK national security (through blockading energy supply/food supply etc). There are plenty of ways that the EU can make things relatively worse/difficult for the UK, in a way that is likely to lead to political pressure on the UK Govt, without pushing them to a position where the response is quite likely not to be "OK we'll come back to the negotiating table" as opposed to an escalation, even potentially a military escalation as the UK seeks to protect itself.
    The point is surely just to emphasise that in a no deal scenario, the EU, and particularly France, has 'escalation dominance'.
  • Options

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

What did you make of Priti Patel threatening Ireland's food supply?
  • Options

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

The point is surely just to emphasise that in a no deal scenario, the EU, and particularly France, has 'escalation dominance'.
    Ultimately the UK is the military power in the region and threatening energy blockades seems like an escalation that would end up going in that kind of direction. The very idea that NATO allies would threaten each others national security just seems very bizarre.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

I don't like to go all HYUFD, but ... is that really true?

We don't hold many cards from the basic deck. But we do have a few up our sleeves.
  • Options

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Is that the new "force de frappe"?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Well the UK is threatening to stop its own fishermen from being able to sell their fish to by miles their largest market, so I'm not sure what point you're making. Both sides need a deal, but of course we need it desperately and they don't. It will have to be a deal compliant with EU regulations. It really isn't complicated, that is the bind which our half-wit of a PM has boxed himself into.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

They turn out orficers who stand about while the other ranks do the work, one can only conclude.

However - I visited one some years back and the antechapel was heartbreaking. Brass plaques from floor to ceiling, commemorating the Great War dead.

But there is more to life than standingf around in an officer-like manner.
    During the early part of the Great War, the life expectancy of subalterns, the junior officers fresh out of public school, the Lieutenant Georges in Blackadder terms, was six weeks.
  • Options

“Dom is going to have to face up to the fact that after spending years writing millions of words in his blogs, he has achieved nothing in government,” said one ministerial adviser.

Quoted in the FT.

I may die laughing tonight or choke on popcorn.

Please do not do either
  • Options
    edited November 2020

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Also very stupid. As a means to try to create leverage. Of course doing so as a response to an EU mainland threat to UK food supply would be entirely reasonable.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

DS9 is pants
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Ultimately the UK is the military power in the region and threatening energy blockades seems like an escalation that would end up going in that kind of direction. The very idea that NATO allies would threaten each others national security just seems very bizarre.
    It's happening right now in the Eastern Mediterranean. What would be bizarre is the UK choosing to become the new Turkey.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

No, in the North Sea the UK is the major military power, despite all of the jokes. Additionally, energy security is national security and I find it unlikely in the extreme that France would even countenance such a move against its main military ally in the region. I'd expect such a move would essentially make the UK withdraw from any security and intelligence cooperation for a very long time and given that the UK is, again, the main intelligence power in Europe (and by a very long distance too given our relationship with the US) that would be a huge, huge loss for European countries.
  • Options

Is there a book on whether Cummings has enough dirt on Johnson to bring him down?

What, like Boris recruited a career psychopath who poisoned Whitehall, sabotaged the Covid response and wrecked Brexit, but then sacked him for being a bit rude about his girlfriend?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Well the UK is threatening to stop its fishermen from being able to sell their fish to by miles their largest market, so I'm not sure what point you're making. Both sides need a deal, but of course we need it desperately and they don't. It will have to be a deal compliant with EU regulations. It really isn't complicated, that is the bind which our half-wit of a PM has boxed himself into.
    The UK is threatening nothing of the sort, it is saying that they should pay the market price for said fish. The UK doesn't get free energy from France, it pays the market price.

When you make ridiculous arguments like this is just makes you look stupid, Richard.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

It's happening right now in the Eastern Mediterranean. What would be bizarre is the UK choosing to become the new Turkey.
    How do you figure?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

No, in the North Sea the UK is the major military power, despite all of the jokes. Additionally, energy security is national security and I find it unlikely in the extreme that France would even countenance such a move against its main military ally in the region. I'd expect such a move would essentially make the UK withdraw from any security and intelligence cooperation for a very long time and given that the UK is, again, the main intelligence power in Europe (and by a very long distance too given our relationship with the US) that would be a huge, huge loss for European countries.
    I'm glad we all agree with Evans-Pritchard that that this is a hollow threat.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MaxPB said:

The UK is threatening nothing of the sort, it is saying that they should pay the market price for said fish. The UK doesn't get free energy from France, it pays the market price.

When you make ridiculous arguments like this is just makes you look stupid, Richard.

My dear boy, if you think I'm I'm the one looking stupid then you've got a lot more growing up to do. The fishing issue has zero to do with price, as you would know if you'd done even the most cursory research into it.

You could start your education here, for example:

https://twitter.com/LochfyneLangous/status/1326886702548455427
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Well the UK is threatening to stop its fishermen from being able to sell their fish to by miles their largest market, so I'm not sure what point you're making. Both sides need a deal, but of course we need it desperately and they don't. It will have to be a deal compliant with EU regulations. It really isn't complicated, that is the bind which our half-wit of a PM has boxed himself into.

And what's more, if threatening our energy supply (as opposed to complicating our energy supply and making it a bit more expensive - which may be what the story actually is) is the sort of thing they were pushing, then it arguably calls into question just how little they want/need a deal. If they were relatively relaxed about it, then such a threat wouldn't be necessary.

• Options
    Good grief. Poor France. They say we're a fortnight behind, so we'd better watch out.
  • Options
    .. although bizarrely, under the fantastic deal Boris signed up to, Northern Irish fishermen fishing in British waters will have access to EU markets.
  • Options

.. although bizarrely, under the fantastic deal Boris signed up to, Northern Irish fishermen fishing in British waters will have access to EU markets.

That sounds good. Bully for NI fishermen.

• Options
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

I think we're about equal on the ultimate escalation?

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Not a good look either, given the history, although I don't believe she was actually involved in negotiations. Doesn't make this latest threat any better.

• Options
    geoffw said:

Good grief. Poor France. They say we're a fortnight behind, so we'd better watch out.
    One should always touch wood, but the mantra that we are always "a couple of weeks behind" really needs some challenging. For a start we implemented systems of restrictions before them, and locked down at not far off the same time (but we in a better position when we did so). So if taking action earlier means anything, then there's no reason to think we end up where they are.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

My dear boy, if you think I'm I'm the one looking stupid then you've got a lot more growing up to do. The fishing issue has zero to do with price, as you would know if you'd done even the most cursory research into it.

If they want to buy the fish then they will need to live with the regulatory scheme and new pricing. Even though I literally give no fucks about fish, it is a national resource and quite simply if EU regulations prevent the importation of UK fish in no deal that's surely their problem.

Ultimately, it's a product they want to purchase that we have to sell to them, if they have put up stupid rules to stop it being bought I'm not sure you can blame the UK.

This is also why you remainers are seen as fifth columnists, you seem to be actively cheering the EU on with this odd threat to our national security. It's clearly an overreaction on their part but you seem to want them to do it so you can prove whatever point you want to make.
  • Options
    I'm intrigued by the idea of dominance by shallots.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

MaxPB said:

UK is net importer of fish. I know it’s a North South thing between Haddock and Cod, but cod and chips could become a problem if we don’t get the promised batter fried brexit deal.

I don’t want to sound silly or anything, but I would like to contribute, the problem is fish swim about in the sea. 😮
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Yes, it's a curiosity but one which might benefit NI in a small way. Of course it's nothing like compensation for the disaster to the rest of the NI economy.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,192
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

The Irish grid, which operates on an all-island basis, would struggle to balance itself without the interconnecters.

It's less about the aggregate quantity of electricity transferred and more varying supply to match demand.
  • Options

Grrrrr ....

Have sporting index paid?
  • Options

geoffw said:

Yes, it's a curiosity but one which might benefit NI in a small way. Of course it's nothing like compensation for the disaster to the rest of the NI economy.
    I don't know. NI may be the corner of the UK that does well out of all this, what with it having a foot in both markets.

• Options

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

The Irish grid, which operates on an all-island basis, would struggle to balance itself without the interconnecters.

It's less about the aggregate quantity of electricity transferred and more varying supply to match demand.
    I know, that's why it's such an odd threat. The UK would probably work it out and import gas from Norway and then Qatar to make up for it in the short term, Ireland just doesn't have that solution. I actually don't know how Ireland survives without rolling blackouts with no interconnector.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

If they want to buy the fish then they will need to live with the regulatory scheme and new pricing. Even though I literally give no fucks about fish, it is a national resource and quite simply if EU regulations prevent the importation of UK fish in no deal that's surely their problem.

Ultimately, it's a product they want to purchase that we have to sell to them, if they have put up stupid rules to stop it being bought I'm not sure you can blame the UK.

This is also why you remainers are seen as fifth columnists, you seem to be actively cheering the EU on with this odd threat to our national security. It's clearly an overreaction on their part but you seem to want them to do it so you can prove whatever point you want to make.
    'Fifth columnist'. 'Remainer'. 'Cheering on the EU'

You've lost your mind. I'm in favour - or was whilst it was still possible - of a sensible, negotiated exit from the EU to implement the referendum result. Alas, it's not to be. All I'm doing is pointing out that the idiot of a PM the country has landed itself with has made a catastrophic job of negotiating our exit, making blunder after blunder. The three biggest blunders aren't hard to understand: boxing himself in to a completely unrealistic timetable in the midst of a pandemic, doing virtually nothing to prepare for the administrative changes which are likely to apply in a few weeks time, and spectacularly over-estimating the leverage which the UK has.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    O/T How to get high vaccine take up:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1327362253633544194?s=20

Been saying similar for some time myself.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

'Fifth columnist'. 'Remainer'. 'Cheering on the EU'

You've lost your mind. I'm in favour - or was whilst it was still possible - of a sensible, negotiated exit from the EU to implement the referendum result. Alas, it's not to be. All I'm doing is pointing out that the idiot of a PM the country has landed itself with has made a catastrophic job of negotiating our exit, making blunder after blunder. The three biggest blunders aren't hard to understand: boxing himself in to a completely unrealistic timetable in the midst of a pandemic, doing virtually nothing to prepare for the administrative changes which are likely to apply in a few weeks time, and spectacularly over-estimating the leverage which the UK has.
    And you seem to be positively looking forwards to them trying to shut down the interconnectors so you can say "I told you so".
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Same for public school enrollment in the US
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The fish go to Danish waters to spawn. Then, as Marquee cleverly put it today, they swim closer to Cod’s Own Country.

To prevent over fishing, Every body is banned from fishing them till they grow bigger and succulent, yet despite nice adult ones within our waters we will remain net importer of things like cod in a big way. because although cod can swim out of EU waters and live okay in ours, they don’t tend to.
  • Options

Ticketmaster vociferously denied that story earlier today.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

I don't know. NI may be the corner of the UK that does well out of all this, what with it having a foot in both markets.

That was possible under Theresa May's proposals, but it's hard to see how it will work under the Boris Withdrawal Agreement terms. The burden of the checks in NI-GB trade is just going to be too high. It's a bloody shambles, frankly.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,599
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Right footers in the British market.

Left footers in the Irish market.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

Grrrrr ....

Well, a modest win for me on their spreads so cashed out, but not impressed.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,562
    Latest House of Representatives results:

Democrats 218
    Republicans 204

Still to declare: 13

https://results.decisiondeskhq.com
  • Options

It'd very obvious. We'll get lots of people saying they won't take it and will never take it on social media and polls, but will secretly take it.

The alternative is restrictions and masks forever.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,314
    edited November 2020

Grrrrr ....

Have sporting index paid?
    Neither SPIN nor Betfair nor 365 have paid!
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The fish go to Danish waters to spawn. Then, as Marquee cleverly put it today, they swim closer to Cod’s Own Country.

To prevent over fishing, Every body is banned from fishing them till they grow bigger and succulent, yet despite nice adult ones within our waters we will remain net importer of things like cod in a big way. because although cod can swim out of EU waters and live okay in ours, they don’t tend to.
    I actually don't care whether we are net importers or exporters of fish tbh. I'm not the one threatening energy supply over it.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

That was possible under Theresa May's proposals, but it's hard to see how it will work under the Boris Withdrawal Agreement terms. The burden of the checks in NI-GB trade is just going to be too high. It's a bloody shambles, frankly.
    If there's a deal then it's still on for NI. If no-deal then they are in the same boat as the rest of the UK, snafu as you would see it.
    edit: correction - we are all in the same boat deal or no-deal
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Andy_JS said:

Democrats 218
    Republicans 204

The GOP must be heavy favourites to take back the house in 2022. Redistricting alone will wipe out the Dem majority, which may be down to single figures.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It's

I actually don't care whether we are net importers or exporters of fish tbh. I'm not the one threatening energy supply over it.
    It's more a question of what not taking the deal on the table and going for no deal could potentially lead to rather than a threat linking one to the other.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

‘It’s a national resource’ I don’t want to be very argumentative but The idea that fish that swim into our waters is our own patriotic resource is just potty. You have to subtract agreements with others to prevent over fishing, subtract respect for fish life cycle of spawn one place big in another. We currently have a deal with EU that stops by law others fishing the fish swimming towards us, without that logically we will have less fish swimming towards our nets. And it varies from fish to fish like the threat to us importing the cod we need we won’t have enough of in ourpatriotic waters.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    geoffw said:

If there's a deal then it's still on for NI. If no-deal then they are in the same boat as the rest of the UK, snafu as you would see it.

Depends on the deal. It looks as though any deal which is reached is going to be very thin at best, which means there will still be a massive burden of red tape for trade between Britain and NI, as well as quite a lot between NI and the Republic. The whole sequence of that red tape has to add up to the same as the additional red tape between Britain and the continent, and splitting it into two chunks makes it worse, I'd have thought.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Democrats 218
    Republicans 204

The GOP must be heavy favourites to take back the house in 2022. Redistricting alone will wipe out the Dem majority, which may be down to single figures.
    Have they actually got that much scope to push redraw/gerrymander districts in their favour? The expectation before the election was that the Democrats would take back a lot of state legislatures and be able to push the pendulum back the other way, but i thought that many areas were already in the Republican favour by quite a long way. so it doesn't necessarily work the other way around. There's only so much juice you can squeeze from an orange,
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andy_JS said:

Democrats 218
    Republicans 204

Cook report have called 221 for the Dems and 207 For the GOP

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-house-vote-tracker

There is a a couple of sub 100 majority seats still counting.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Andy_JS said:

Democrats 218
    Republicans 204

Absolutely. The only wild card is Trump.
  • Options

It's more a question of what not taking the deal on the table and going for no deal could potentially lead to rather than a threat linking one to the other.

Exactly. You put it perfectly.
  • Options
    Republican Martha McSally finally concedes Arizona Senate seat to incoming Democrat Mark Kelly

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/nov/13/joe-biden-donald-trump-election-result-coronavirus-latest-updates
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    I'm not certain 2022 will function as a normal midterm. People will be getting the vaccine in the US and enjoying life again.
    Tentatively I think Dems may do better than history suggests
This discussion has been closed.