Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cummings out with immediate effect – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Andy_JS said:

Latest House of Representatives results:

Democrats 218
    Republicans 204

Still to declare: 13

https://results.decisiondeskhq.com

The GOP must be heavy favourites to take back the house in 2022. Redistricting alone will wipe out the Dem majority, which may be down to single figures.
    230-205 is not single figures and the ball park you should be betting on this evening. If outgoing 232-197-1 with 5 seats vacant was cause for Champaign corks Democratic caucus is going to be a shade bit smaller, but not drastically so. The very wrong polls created a different narrative we shouldn’t be fooled by.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    alex_ said:

O/T How to get high vaccine take up:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1327362253633544194?s=20

Been saying similar for some time myself.

Ticketmaster vociferously denied that story earlier today.
    Its going to be difficult when anyone under 50 is right at the back of the queue ?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Democrats 218
    Republicans 204

The GOP must be heavy favourites to take back the house in 2022. Redistricting alone will wipe out the Dem majority, which may be down to single figures.
    Have they actually got that much scope to push redraw/gerrymander districts in their favour? The expectation before the election was that the Democrats would take back a lot of state legislatures and be able to push the pendulum back the other way, but i thought that many areas were already in the Republican favour by quite a long way. so it doesn't necessarily work the other way around. There's only so much juice you can squeeze from an orange,
    Indeed. Whilst many benefit the GOP there have been a number of changes to the way it is done.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_redistricting_cycle#:~:text=The 2020 United States redistricting,the 2020 United States Census.&text=States that are apportioned more,districts for that legislative body.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited November 2020
    Spent an entertaining half hour re-reading the posts from election night last Tuesday. Fascinating to see how panic gripped everyone at around 0200 after FL was called (and I include myself in this) other than a few cool heads like @Richard_Nabavi . Fox's unexpected calling of Arizona was a real change in the mood.
  • Options

Republican Martha McSally finally concedes Arizona Senate seat to incoming Democrat Mark Kelly

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/nov/13/joe-biden-donald-trump-election-result-coronavirus-latest-updates

Is McSally's "achievement" of losing both Senate seats in the same state unique?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Andy_JS said:

Democrats 218
    Republicans 204

230-205 is not single figures and the ball park you should be betting on this evening. If outgoing 232-197-1 with 5 seats vacant was cause for Champaign corks Democratic caucus is going to be a shade bit smaller, but not drastically so. The very wrong polls created a different narrative we shouldn’t be fooled by.
    Not sure where you are getting that 230 figure from. Most of the remaining races are expected to go to the GOP. It will be more like 223-212 I think.
  • Options

Republican Martha McSally finally concedes Arizona Senate seat to incoming Democrat Mark Kelly

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/nov/13/joe-biden-donald-trump-election-result-coronavirus-latest-updates

Is McSally's "achievement" of losing both Senate seats in the same state unique?
    Certainly unusual!
  • Options
    “Uk vaccine doses: private health firms will be banned from queue jumping government promises”

Impossible. Don’t promise it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,921
    edited November 2020
    geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Brussels is making an overt link between full fishing access to UK waters and maintaining normal energy flows through the interconnectors
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/11/13/eu-hints-brexit-energy-blockade-power-blackouts-hollow-threat/

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.
    Yeah, it's a bit far-fetched. But ...
    The Commission has conspicuously chosen not to deny a Bloomberg story on Thursday stating categorically that the EU is threatening an “energy blockade”, a claim that it would normally contest if untrue.

"Conspicuously chosen not to deny" doesn't necessarily mean it's not true or that it's true. It could be the case that (a) there's only a junior press person available, and he was scared of saying anything, (b) an empty threat or (c) they may not even have seen the story.

Or it could be true.

HOWEVER, if the interconnectors were turned off, then the French would lose some export reveue, we'd spend a bit more on Norwegian natural gas (and possibly fire up some OCGTs), and the Irish would be quite annoyed.

So, it seems like a bit of an odd threat.
  • Options

The government really are crap at media management...no sooner do we get good vaccine news, they descend into the drama, and on the day Cummings leave, they actually have a positive announcement in that they have got universities to agree to overhaul their entry system to post results...something that they fought agaibst wheb Gove / Cummings suggested it. This is a really big change that should reduce the unfairness between kids from traditional good schools and bright kids at schools thought to be shit.

This really is levelling up stuff. But instead all most people will be hearing about for days is Big Dom said that, Boris said this, Carrie told Boris wedding off unless he fires Lee.

Maybe Carrie and Boris had a guest list for their wedding that was too long under Covid restrictions, so they had to whittle it down? Cummings and Cain are now off the list - job done.
    The Carrie Coup. It’s now in Carrie the Nation Trusts.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

“Uk vaccine doses: private health firms will be banned from queue jumping government promises”

Impossible. Don’t promise it.

Short of making the administration of Coronavirus vaccines outside the NHS illegal, it's utterly unenforcable.

CV19 vaccines will be available for grey market import sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,523
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Brussels is making an overt link between full fishing access to UK waters and maintaining normal energy flows through the interconnectors
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/11/13/eu-hints-brexit-energy-blockade-power-blackouts-hollow-threat/

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.
    The Commission has conspicuously chosen not to deny a Bloomberg story on Thursday stating categorically that the EU is threatening an “energy blockade”, a claim that it would normally contest if untrue.

"Conspicuously chosen not to deny" doesn't necessarily mean it's not true or that it's true. It could be the case that (a) there's only a junior press person available, and he was scared of saying anything, (b) an empty threat or (c) they may not even have seen the story.

Or it could be true.

HOWEVER, if the interconnectors were turned off, then the French would lose some export reveue, we'd spend a bit more on Norwegian natural gas (and possibly fire up some OCGTs), and the Irish would be quite annoyed.

It's also a story from the Telegraph, not a reliable source on the EU. They've spent the last 30 years making up hostile EU stories, including by the current PM. Although it's sparked animated debate on here, I'd treat it with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

fifth columnists...
    threat to our national security...
    clearly an overreaction

Yes. Clearly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

alex_ said:

geoffw said:

Popcorn!

Seems a bit unlikely.

Or it could be true.

It could be sign the EU are getting bullish, feel they hold all the cards and keen now to have the cake and eat it. Or, and I completely agree with you it’s likely totally repudiated before Morris posts his F1 qualifying headsup in morning. 🙂
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,454
    "Lockdowns are killing community
    The Covid state is destroying what remains of our social solidarity
    Dave Clements"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/11/13/lockdowns-are-killing-community/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited November 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Dave Clements"

Yeah I get it, lockdowns are awful and the state is taking our liberty etc etc. We heard it 9 months ago and periodically since, but until the public, the wider community, tires of them, they will keep happening. The Covid state exists as long as people want it, not as long as the government wills it, since when the former tire of it that will be the end. Not a single new thought has been advanced on the subject since the first lockdown. Doesn't mean people have to stop banging on about the harm of lockdowns, more people will come to that view in time I am sure, but they need to mix it up.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Dave Clements"

Humans are social animals. COVID feeds on the fact we are social animals. In order to slay COVID, For a time we need to find the strength and patience to stop being social animals. And once its gone not only will we go back to normal, but with added appreciation and enjoyment and enthusiasm for all that we took for granted. Of course, once it’s over we will acknowledge freedoms, such as spiked onlines right to exist, but we will still shake our heads at the fact everything posted on there is drivel.

Truth is, I don’t want to come over the book of Job, but there is a reason why it’s important we have to go through this, the crew at spiked online will never understand in their lives.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2020

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The UK is threatening nothing of the sort, it is saying that they should pay the market price for said fish. The UK doesn't get free energy from France, it pays the market price.

When you make ridiculous arguments like this is just makes you look stupid, Richard.

My dear boy, if you think I'm I'm the one looking stupid then you've got a lot more growing up to do. The fishing issue has zero to do with price, as you would know if you'd done even the most cursory research into it.

You could start your education here, for example:

https://twitter.com/LochfyneLangous/status/1326886702548455427
    If they want to buy the fish then they will need to live with the regulatory scheme and new pricing. Even though I literally give no fucks about fish, it is a national resource and quite simply if EU regulations prevent the importation of UK fish in no deal that's surely their problem.

Ultimately, it's a product they want to purchase that we have to sell to them, if they have put up stupid rules to stop it being bought I'm not sure you can blame the UK.

This is also why you remainers are seen as fifth columnists, you seem to be actively cheering the EU on with this odd threat to our national security. It's clearly an overreaction on their part but you seem to want them to do it so you can prove whatever point you want to make.
    'Fifth columnist'. 'Remainer'. 'Cheering on the EU'

You've lost your mind. I'm in favour - or was whilst it was still possible - of a sensible, negotiated exit from the EU to implement the referendum result. Alas, it's not to be. All I'm doing is pointing out that the idiot of a PM the country has landed itself with has made a catastrophic job of negotiating our exit, making blunder after blunder. The three biggest blunders aren't hard to understand: boxing himself in to a completely unrealistic timetable in the midst of a pandemic, doing virtually nothing to prepare for the administrative changes which are likely to apply in a few weeks time, and spectacularly over-estimating the leverage which the UK has.
    For heaven's sake @Richard_Nabavi - have you not figured this out yet? As Brexit gets worse it is ALWAYS because of Remainers. It has nothing to do with the idiocy of Brexit. There is nothing worse for Leavers than being forced to admit that the whole thing was a stupid idea that would achieve none of its objectives.

But here we are.... 7 weeks to go.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The UK is threatening nothing of the sort, it is saying that they should pay the market price for said fish. The UK doesn't get free energy from France, it pays the market price.

When you make ridiculous arguments like this is just makes you look stupid, Richard.

My dear boy, if you think I'm I'm the one looking stupid then you've got a lot more growing up to do. The fishing issue has zero to do with price, as you would know if you'd done even the most cursory research into it.

If they want to buy the fish then they will need to live with the regulatory scheme and new pricing. Even though I literally give no fucks about fish, it is a national resource and quite simply if EU regulations prevent the importation of UK fish in no deal that's surely their problem.

Ultimately, it's a product they want to purchase that we have to sell to them, if they have put up stupid rules to stop it being bought I'm not sure you can blame the UK.

This is also why you remainers are seen as fifth columnists, you seem to be actively cheering the EU on with this odd threat to our national security. It's clearly an overreaction on their part but you seem to want them to do it so you can prove whatever point you want to make.

You've lost your mind. I'm in favour - or was whilst it was still possible - of a sensible, negotiated exit from the EU to implement the referendum result. Alas, it's not to be. All I'm doing is pointing out that the idiot of a PM the country has landed itself with has made a catastrophic job of negotiating our exit, making blunder after blunder. The three biggest blunders aren't hard to understand: boxing himself in to a completely unrealistic timetable in the midst of a pandemic, doing virtually nothing to prepare for the administrative changes which are likely to apply in a few weeks time, and spectacularly over-estimating the leverage which the UK has.
    For heaven's sake @Richard_Nabavi - have you not figured this out yet? As Brexit gets worse it is ALWAYS because of Remainers. It has nothing to do with the idiocy of Brexit. There is nothing worse for Leavers than being forced to admit that the whole thing was a stupid idea that would achieve none of its objectives.

You make them sound just like Trump, they can’t concede. 😕
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Dave Clements"

Yeah I get it, lockdowns are awful and the state is taking our liberty etc etc. We heard it 9 months ago and periodically since, but until the public, the wider community, tires of them, they will keep happening. The Covid state exists as long as people want it, not as long as the government wills it, since when the former tire of it that will be the end. Not a single new thought has been advanced on the subject since the first lockdown. Doesn't mean people have to stop banging on about the harm of lockdowns, more people will come to that view in time I am sure, but they need to mix it up.
    Lockdowns create a certain amount of boredom, and I'm getting tired of walking the same routes near my home. But I know I have the capacity to endure more, and I have one compelling piece of evidence to remind myself that even on low days, it is never that bad:

No matter how tedious life gets, I never feel the need to read Spiked.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Truth is, I don’t want to come over the book of Job

Glad to hear. That would be an oddly specific fetish.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

gealbhan said:

Truth is, I don’t want to come over the book of Job

Glad to hear. That would be an oddly specific fetish.
    But crude eighties alternative comedy puns aside, I think we agree: in this existence, in all matters, happiness must be earned.

Do I get the Chief Of Staff job? I’ve been auditioning for it on hereall evening.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

crude eighties alternative comedy puns aside...
    Chief Of Staff

That there. That is bait.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Basically yes. Look back through any of the postings on PB over the years. The minute you start pointing out any faults in Brexit then you are either undermining it or gleefully willing it to fail. There is no recognition that leaving a Free Trade Area to negotiate a Free Trade Agreement with the same bloc is a bonkers idea.
    They have lucid moments then fall back into British exceptionalism. What made the UK so Colonel Blimpish?

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2020
    The fake FT cost of project moonshot has now become fact...yet another article quoting it.

The Government announced this week a massive expansion of its Operation Moonshot scheme for mass, quick-turnaround testing, at a cost of an eye-watering £42billion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8947595/DAVID-ROSE-42BILLION-Operation-Moonshot-test-trace-plan-actually-work.html
  • Options
    If coronavirus cases were a separate state, they would have 16 electoral college votes.
  • Options
    Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Basically yes. Look back through any of the postings on PB over the years. The minute you start pointing out any faults in Brexit then you are either undermining it or gleefully willing it to fail. There is no recognition that leaving a Free Trade Area to negotiate a Free Trade Agreement with the same bloc is a bonkers idea.
    They have lucid moments then fall back into British exceptionalism. What made the UK so Colonel Blimpish?

I have no idea @Roger
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

If coronavirus cases were a separate state, they would have 16 electoral college votes.
    And they would have voted overwhelmingly for President Trump!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

And they would have voted overwhelmingly for President Trump!
    Just like Michigan, Wisconsin, Georgia...
  • Options
    UK sources indicated there had been no breakthrough this week between the UK's negotiator David Frost and his EU counterpart Michel Barnier, with the two ending their discussions in a similar position to how they started them.

An EU source familiar with the process said one of their meetings had been "short and brutal".

BBC News - EU-UK talks: 'Make or break' moment approaching, say both sides
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54935034
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,454

The fake FT cost of project moonshot has now become fact...yet another article quoting it.

The Government announced this week a massive expansion of its Operation Moonshot scheme for mass, quick-turnaround testing, at a cost of an eye-watering £42billion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8947595/DAVID-ROSE-42BILLION-Operation-Moonshot-test-trace-plan-actually-work.html

£42 billion might one day bankrupt the country if we're not careful, seeing how bad the finances are.
This discussion has been closed.