Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cummings out with immediate effect – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

So farewell then, Dominic Cummings
    You wanted to do radical things,
    apparently
    And you had your fans
    But others thought you were a menace
    who should be fired
    And now you have been.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2886904
    Very Private Eye. I prefer a haiku myself..

Failed Cummings the radical
    Weeps Autumnal tears
    Through his unsightly stubble
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135

geoffw said:

MikeL said:

CNN has also called Georgia for Biden.

Plus North Carolina + ME2 for Trump.

So everything called, final result 306-232, a precise reverse of 2016.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1327332317833080837
    Colorado is the wrong colour ¿no?
    No.

However, they really need to put a small blue stripey blob on there to locate Omaha, and to smudge a bit of red on the Northern part of Maine.
    ¡estaba un chiste!
    See above, passim.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I'm looking forward to reading this Cummings blog.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    My two offerings for a headline:

Bozo ejects Cum prematurely.

Carrie doesn’t like the taste of Bozo's Cum.

Sorry, but I can't think of anything to do with Dom's departure.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Not something anyone has said before to the best of my knowledge.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Scott_xP said:
    I’m still amused by the fact that earlier I challenged Topping to name Cummings’ achievements and he couldn’t think of one.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    I disagree. His achievement was to f**k up a functioning, leading democracy and turn it into a second class country whose reputation for reliability and solidity now lies in shreds.

Not many of us get to screw up things on such a massive scale. It is a breathtaking achievement, but not one I would want on my CV
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Not something anyone has said before to the best of my knowledge.
    Well, not something anyone has said after having read one anyway.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865

I disagree. His achievement was to f**k up a functioning, leading democracy and turn it into a second class country whose reputation for reliability and solidity now lies in shreds.

Not many of us get to screw up things on such a massive scale. It is a breathtaking achievement, but not one I would want on my CV

It did say "in Government"

He did all that before arriving in Downing Street
  • Options
    I suppose he could write some vengeful stuff about Boris being rudderless, out of his depth, etc.

But would any of this really be a surprise to anyone ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    I’m still amused by the fact that earlier I challenged Topping to name Cummings’ achievements and he couldn’t think of one.
    That of course is because Topping (pbuh) does not consider winning the Brexit vote or the last general election to be achievements.
  • Options

I suppose he could write some vengeful stuff about Boris being rudderless, out of his depth, etc.

He could write one that says BoZo has caved on Brexit
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Increasing SpecSavers’ share price?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:

To be fair though, he added icing and topping to the cake in government, too. Like one of the final, finger-licking stages of Nigella's recipes.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    That of course is because Topping (pbuh) does not consider winning the Brexit vote or the last general election to be achievements.
    Well, he did say ‘within the last four years.’

However, since one was based on a clearly deliberate lie and the second was based on ratifying a treaty that it was clear he didn’t understand the implications of plus Labour having a leader who has actually been expelled from the party since, I’m agreeing with Topping here.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    He soaked up all the public bile at the height of lockdown, after his Barnard Castle escapades.

Really brought people together. We all united as one to call him a prick.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Scott_xP said:

So what about the internal markets bill
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

However, since one was based on a clearly deliberate lie and the second was based on ratifying a treaty that it was clear he didn’t understand the implications of plus Labour having a leader who has actually been expelled from the party since, I’m agreeing with Topping here.
    You surprise me.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    He soaked up all the public bile at the height of lockdown, after his Barnard Castle escapades.

Really brought people together. We all united as one to call him a prick.
    He's a week late for being burned in effigy though.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Increasing SpecSavers’ share price?
    Although actually the opticians in Barnard Castle closed down last summer after his famous visit:

https://www.teesdalemercury.co.uk/business/opticians-80-years-in-barney-gone-in-the-blink-of-an-eye
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:

He could write one that says BoZo has caved on Brexit
    He could do, but wouldn't that amount to roughly the same thing, too ? Neither his supporters or his critics really expect him to have any fixed views on anything , at this point , and consider his advisers to amount to his opinions. It would have to be something else, I think.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

You surprise me.
    Well, in fairness I only partially agree with Topping.

I don’t think he had any successes before that either.
  • Options

My two offerings for a headline:

Bozo ejects Cum prematurely.

If only he'd learned to do that he wouldn't be so poor.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    You should have fired the lawbreaking stuck up lying incompetent lazy tosser when you had the chance Johnson.

Look what you sacrificed your credibility for. Was he worth it?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That's such a level of precision it is either made up, or provided directly by Boris, Cummings or Cain. So which one? Like May's parting words to Osborne, we figure that out by determining who is meant to look good from the quotes.

It shows Boris as strong and decisive, so must be from him?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's such a level of precision it is either made up, or provided directly by Boris, Cummings or Cain. So which one? Like May's parting words to Osborne, we figure that out by determining who is meant to look good from the quotes.

Possibly it’s meant to do so.

But given Cummings should have gone long ago, arguably this delayed departure has the opposite effect.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

It feels a bit as if the narrative is that Johnson is the battered wife finally freed after years of controlling torment by her abuser, hurray! And that is not a narrative that should be allowed to take hold. We should be tough on Cummings, and tough on the causes of Cummings.

And we have had this twice in a row, Nick Timothy was only marginally less gruesome than Cummings. Vote Tory and you are not voting for the party leader but for some utterly creepy rasputin figure in the shadows.

Going after the adviser rather than the King is a longstanding tactic given the risks in targeting the latter. But as we all know if you hire crap people and do what they say that's still on you. So certainly the idea bad things are down to Cummings and not the guy who listened to him, if pushed, should be dismissed.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Probably from Allegra Stratton, via a particularly decisive and self-flattering rendering of things that roughly happened, from Boris himself.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

Bound to need a good editor, he is very verbose.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

What, waving around text messages to his girlfriend? It makes him look like the loser of a mumsnet spat. And thick as mince with it: employer of complete c--t, whose usp is complete c--tdom, shocked and horrified by revelation that complete c--t is, actually, a complete c--t.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

He was the govt. He just was not elected.
  • Options
    If only Cumstain had left after the Durham escapade he could have been on I'm a Celebrity by now. There's always next year.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I don't think many of us on this site (including me) understand American conservatism.

All I know is I'd have had no problem supporting Reagan and Bush, but I have no idea what's going on today.

Indeed, there's a fascinating piece when Ronald Reagan and George HW Bush were competing for the Republican nomination in 1980 and they did a Town Hall meeting and someone in the audience asked them both about immigration - the answers they gave then are so far away from what the modern Trump-era Republican would say as to belong to a different party let alone the same party.

That was a form of free-market liberal conservatism that was internationalist in outlook but also recognised the levels of relative poverty in parts of the USA. It was, as you say, a form of conservatism we would recognise.

Now, conservatism is this heady mix of social conservatism and economic populism.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-realignment-is-real/

The fascinating part of the argument is that it transcends traditional racial political barriers but only to create new ones whereby the Republicans are the party of the working class and the Democrats the party of the wealthy - it's interesting to look at conservative media coverage of Biden and to see how often they reference Biden's dependency on big business and "Big Tech".

It seems this new form of conservatism isn't anti-business but anti-globalised big business (presumably this also relates to hi-tech firms from liberal California) and the anti-globalisation agenda isn't just a question of "protecting" domestic jobs but it's also about a deeper concern for the preservation of national identity in a global world.

The anti-globalisation banner has passed from the radicals to the populists.
    Yes, and this is where I depart from much liberal analysis: for me, whilst I recognise America has a different founding story and political traditions, concern over immigration and preservation of national identity are entirely legitimate concerns. Indeed, I'd argue the Republican Party dismissed and ignored these for far too long - and it needs to learn the lessons of Trump's original election and victory.

What sinks them for me is anti-democratic behaviour, abuse of the constitution, demagoguery, Qanon conspiracy theories and a total myopic obsessions on issues like abortion, gun control, gay therapy and a revering of frankly weird televangelism.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

What, waving around text messages to his girlfriend? It makes him look like the loser of a mumsnet spat. And thick as mince with it: employer of complete c--t, whose usp is complete c--tdom, shocked and horrified by revelation that complete c--t is, actually, a complete c--t.
    It shows him as confronting the men on a matter of honour (don't laugh), and brusquely, nay, regally (I said no laughter) dismissing them from his service.

Sure, it may be nonsense, and doesn't say anything about how he employed and relied on these men (particularly Cummings), nor may it even be true, but it's clearly designed to make him look powerful and in command, whether or not it succeeds.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    geoffw said:

MikeL said:

Colorado has been blue the last few election cycles
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

MikeL said:

Colorado. = colour red
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Bound to need a good editor, he is very verbose.
    Perhaps we will now find out what he had on Boris?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    edited November 2020
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1327350069947936768?s=20

What is this "Dominion Voting System" the Orange Idiot is bleating on about?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    You should have fired the lawbreaking stuck up lying incompetent lazy tosser when you had the chance Johnson.

No
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

MikeL said:

Read further down, or up depending on your choice of platform.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Why? Gove might be a drama queen and untrustworthy but he's very competent.

One of the few who are actually.
  • Options

What iss this "Dominion Voting System" the Orange Idiot is bleating on about?

He is Yesterday's man. Who cares what he thinks?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    dixiedean said:

Gove at Health?
    His natural empathy and soothing bedside manner, allied to a stainless reputation for honesty no doubt?

Gove at health + global Britain =

Privatisation.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited November 2020

Some voting software that is apparently flawed because it doesn’t record all the votes as being for Trump
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

He is Yesterday's man. Who cares what he thinks?
    Fair point
  • Options

I think it's the machine and software that scans the ballots and counts them. Stole millions of votes from Trump. That's right, millions. He cannot even claim there was just enough fraud to deny him victory, it was the biggest fraud ever no doubt.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

No
    And even now, Dom has been given a final flounce out of the front door of Number Ten, and (if some reports are to be believed) is working out his notice from home.

If Dom's behaviour had been that awful, why not march him out under police guard and change the passwords?
  • Options
    I thought the move to STV would have favored candidates like Akehurst and Pidcock. They are not everyone's cup of tea but they can master first preferences more than middle of road lesser known candidates of their slates. On the other hand they may receive less second, third, fourth, etc preferences than someone like Ann Black who can be among the top 9 of many people.

Luke Akehurst is the interesting one - I wonder if his surname helped (it was a long alphabetical list, and I certainly lost the will to live before getting to the end)? Nevertheless, for the most vehement anti-Corbynite to come top of the poll is quite something. He's spent four year excoriating Corbyn and Corbynism on Labour Uncut, and is despised by the (far) left. But yes, the left has won some seats as well - why shouldn't it? The result is actually a fair reflection of where the party is post-Corbyn. Starmer will be perfectly content with the outcome.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Gove is relatively unusual as a minister in that it seems generally acknowledged that he has ideas and works hard to put them into practice, but even leaving aside Ydoethur's view of the downsides of his drive, what Gove clearly is not is particularly sensitive, and even very necessary changes to health would get treated like heresy, so I don't think his personal competence will held him be a success in that area.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

It's a new form of Artificial Intelligence.
  • Options

No.

No he's not.

The customs omnishambles is testament to that.
  • Options
    Surely we are all going to miss Trump and his tactful manner...

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1077579720756211713?s=19
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think it's the machine and software that scans the ballots and counts them. Stole millions of votes from Trump. That's right, millions. He cannot even claim there was just enough fraud to deny him victory, it was the biggest fraud ever no doubt.
    He's just annoyed he can't take the credit.
  • Options
    Spare a thought for Laura Kuenssburg tonight. Where is she going to get her "stories" from in future?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Scott_xP said:
    There are actually different accounts of the meeting which made Churchill PM. And people argue we should leave history alone and not revise it?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I feel like politics is boring again already.

• Options
    Carnyx said:
    Also- someone who was at the top of government this time last week (and maybe still is) is telling huge porkies.

And, if it turned out that the principal purveyor of porkies was the PM, would anyone be that surprised?
  • Options
    Sunday papers should be a laugh as the two sets of warring Tory aides brief and counter-brief like there's no tomorrow.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

No.

No he's not.

The customs omnishambles is testament to that.
    He's responsible for planning for No Deal Brexit, yes. But he's not minister for HMRC - that's Jesse Norman as FS to HMT.

Besides which there's only so much he can do given how late he was authorised and appointed to do it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

I thought the move to STV would have favored candidates like Akehurst and Pidcock. They are not everyone's cup of tea but they can master first preferences more than middle of road lesser known candidates of their slates. On the other hand they may receive less second, third, fourth, etc preferences than someone like Ann Black who can be among the top 9 of many people.

Luke Akehurst is the interesting one - I wonder if his surname helped (it was a long alphabetical list, and I certainly lost the will to live before getting to the end)? Nevertheless, for the most vehement anti-Corbynite to come top of the poll is quite something. He's spent four year excoriating Corbyn and Corbynism on Labour Uncut, and is despised by the (far) left. But yes, the left has won some seats as well - why shouldn't it? The result is actually a fair reflection of where the party is post-Corbyn. Starmer will be perfectly content with the outcome.

The left slate advised putting Pidcock last of their preferred candidates, presumably on the basis that she would pick up alternative votes from lesser-known people up the list. The centrist slate invited backers to pick any order, so Luke Akehurst as the best-known came top. I agree about the alphabet issue - as it was all online, with dozens of candidates, each with a statement to read, it was really tough to get to the people at the end of the alphabet - we need to have a higher threshold to get nominated next time, I think. But yes, a very reasonable result.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The letter was signed by Assistant U.S. Attorneys in 15 different federal court districts: Western Pennsylvania, Western North Carolina, New Mexico, Maryland, Southern Ohio, Eastern Kentucky, Southern Iowa, Western Arkansas, Southern New York, Eastern New York, Oregon, Kansas, Northern California, the Virgin Islands and the Northern Marianna Islands. Two signers were from Oregon

Surprised it wasn't more if they are career prosecutors who object to being thrust into partisan politics.

I wonder if US lawyers who aren't in it for the politics look down on those who are, all those DAs and so on who have to milk the party machines and climb the greasy pole, with an eye on future office rather than the law.
  • Options

At least he's admitting that he lost the two states. Progress.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Spare a thought for Laura Kuenssburg tonight. Where is she going to get her "stories" from in future?

She's far from alone.

But on the other hand the destruction of a non-partisan civil and judicial service will be off the agenda.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
  • Options
    Trump is on.
  • Options

If only Cumstain had left after the Durham escapade he could have been on I'm a Celebrity by now. There's always next year.

We do not want him here in North Wales thank you

My daughter and family live near to Gwrych Castle and the whole area is bouncing with 'celebrity' fans and the famous

It has been a huge boost to Abergele
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

"is being tipped".

By Gove as the anonymous source no doubt.
  • Options

The kangaroo anuses would refuse to be eaten by him.

• Options
    Trump stopped dying his hair
  • Options
    Trump just said 99.98% of under 50s make a full recovery.

That has to be bollocks.
  • Options
    Left tried to balance between candidates.
    The advice was for members from North East and South West to vote Pidcock first and Dar last.
    Scotland, Wales, and East members were advised to put Henderson first and Rahman last
    Yorkshire & the Humber, East Midlands, West London had to vote first for Jama and Bolton last
    North West, N Ireland, and International had to rank Dar top and Rahman last
    West Midlands, North & East London members had to first preference Rahman with Jama last
    South East, South London had to go for Bolton first and Pidcock last.

The left slate advised putting Pidcock last of their preferred candidates, presumably on the basis that she would pick up alternative votes from lesser-known people up the list. The centrist slate invited backers to pick any order, so Luke Akehurst as the best-known came top. I agree about the alphabet issue - as it was all online, with dozens of candidates, each with a statement to read, it was really tough to get to the people at the end of the alphabet - we need to have a higher threshold to get nominated next time, I think. But yes, a very reasonable result.

• Options

Trump just said 99.98% of under 50s make a full recovery.

That has to be bollocks.

He's just talking cr*p and political point scoring mostly. And exaggerating the impact in the short term.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Trump stopped dying his hair

Gone grey overnight.
  • Options
    He's obviously not been reading his briefings recently about what's going on in US hospitals.
  • Options
    He's giving a campaign stump speech.
  • Options
    He's just conceded!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    He seems to have recovered better than Boris from the virus at least
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    alex_ said:

He's just conceded!

You sure ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

He's just conceded!

You sure ?
    "We hope their won't be a lockdown... THIS administration will never have a lockdown... We obviously won't know what... whatever happens ... but THIS administration will not have a lockdown...".

Sounds to me like he's given up.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

He's just conceded!

You sure ?
    He absolutely didn't
This discussion has been closed.