Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Cummings – the end of the line for his time at Number 10? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2020 in General
imageCummings – the end of the line for his time at Number 10? – politicalbetting.com

The big UK political news this morning is that it appears that Dominic Cummings is on the way out as Johnson seeks to reset his team in an effort to try to pull his party’s and personal ratings back up.

Read the full story here

Comments

• It's weird, it's like all the bullshit is finally winding down, yet somehow Brexit is still there.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    If he really wants his position to improve he should get rid of Patel as well. Two more wretched people are difficult to imagine.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

yet somehow Brexit is still there.

It's more and more obvious that Theresa May's deal was the best one
  • Six weeks to Christmas but it might have come early.
    edited November 2020
    A betting complaint. Actually several.

Spreadex. Crap. Market was suspended most of the election night which totally defeats the point of a spread trading floor. In a rare window of opportunity I came in at 262 ECVs. Spreadex haven't settled on 306 ECVs

Betfair. Whilst I can just about understand them not coughing up on 306 ECVs yet, failing to cough up on Biden's Pennsylvania win is rubbish

But finally thank you to PaddyPower. 1/8 that Trump wouldn't concede by today when the bet was only placed on Monday of this week was kind of free money really. They have now re-opened this market to 1st December at the same odds which does not seem like such a good bet to me. It has to be by a televised address but those are pretty stingy odds considering the 3 week wait.
  • Is the Kremlinology right? Imo the writing was on the wall when Cummings moved out of Number 10 and into the Cabinet Office with his old ally and would-be successor to the Prime Minister, Michael Gove. The only thing surprising in this bust-up is that Marcus Rashford had not campaigned for it.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,725
    The government is poised to reach a settlement with an aide who was marched out of Downing Street by armed police after being sacked by Dominic Cummings.

Government sources said that Sonia Khan, a former special adviser to the then chancellor Sajid Javid, will receive a settlement worth between £50,000 and £100,000.

The dispute was headed to an employment tribunal next month which could have resulted in Mr Cummings having to give evidence as well as the publication of a cache of WhatsApp messages, texts and emails between senior Downing Street advisers that were submitted as part of the tribunal.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/settlement-for-sonia-khan-adviser-marched-out-of-no-10-gkt56d6jn
    DJL, I cashed out on my 14/1 Rishi Sunak bet this week. It's not that I don't think he's favourite (sorry for the double negative) it's that there are too many curve balls around at the moment. And Dishi Rishi is not going to be flavour of the month in all quarters the longer he is made to wait.

And Gove is a scheming shit, so if he can shaft Rishi, he will.
  • A quick run through of Betfair prices.

Biden 1.09
    Democrats 1.08
    Biden PV 1.04
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.06
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.05
    Trump ECVs 210-239 1.16
    Biden ECVs 300-329 1.15
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.11
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.14
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.03

AZ Dem 1.07
    GA Dem 1.12
    MI Dem 1.06
    NV Dem 1.05
    NC Rep 1.01
    PA Dem 1.09
    WI Dem 1.08
  • DJL, I cashed out on my 14/1 Rishi Sunak bet this week. It's not that I don't think he's favourite (sorry for the double negative) it's that there are too many curve balls around at the moment. And Dishi Rishi is not going to be flavour of the month in all quarters the longer he is made to wait.

And Gove is a scheming shit, so if he can shaft Rishi, he will.

Rishi's sudden popularity might be what stayed the hand of Gove (and Cummings). No point in ousting the Prime Minister if the Chancellor picks up the pieces.

A quick run through of Betfair prices.

Trump ECVs 210-239 1.16
    Biden ECVs 300-329 1.15

Incredible!!!! The only way Biden won't finish on 306 is if you think c 20,000 votes in Georgia will be rejected. Not going to happen.

Hat tip. Thank you.

Trump ECVs 210-239 1.16
    Biden ECVs 300-329 1.15

Incredible!!!! The only way Biden won't finish on 306 is if you think c 20,000 votes in Georgia will be rejected. Not going to happen.

Hat tip. Thank you.
    Those prices have actually lengthened overnight. Does someone worry that Georgia might end up with no ECVs if the recount goes on too long? Remember in Florida 2000 one Republican tactic was to delay the recounts and then argue there was no time left so the court had to decide. (Note I'm not saying this will happen; just trying to rationalise the prices having drifted.)
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited November 2020

It's weird, it's like all the bullshit is finally winding down, yet somehow Brexit is still there.

There does seem to be various speculation of the Carrie group supporting extending the transition. That would be very good and sensible if true, and I'm sure Sunak would welcome it too, considering the still very dicey situation we're in socially, economically and health-wise.
    It's almost funny looking at the photo on top of the page that he's effectively been our PM for nearly a year and no one could do anything about it.

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,723
    edited November 2020
    Good riddance. A bully, a liar, a fool and a failure. Unfit to be clerk to a parish council.

Another aspect that may have a bearing on many people’s lives - Cummings is obsessed with exams ahead of coursework. His whole disastrous education strategy was based on that. Now he is out, expect GCSE and AS level exams at the very least to be cancelled in the near future and replaced with externally moderated coursework.

I was expecting that in January anyway, because there are so few other realistic options given what the government is trying to do (the only way to hold exams would be to shut schools to everyone except exam groups) and thought that might be the trigger for Cummings’ Goings. But he’s gone in advance.

There does seem to be various speculation of the Carrie group supporting extending the transition. That would be very good and sensible if true, and I'm sure Sunak would welcome it too, considering the still very dicey situation we're in socially, economically and health-wise.

Brady's postbag will be bulging if BoZo delays Brexit

This cartoon, while not great, does seem like it might be accurate

It's weird, it's like all the bullshit is finally winding down, yet somehow Brexit is still there.

Are we being governed by Carrie now? We really are giving the Trumps a run for their money.
    Roger said:

Are we being governed by Carrie now? We really are giving the Trumps a run for their money.
    Couldn’t possibly be worse than being run by her fiancé.
    Scott_xP said:

Brady's postbag will be bulging if BoZo delays Brexit

Don't delay it then; merely extend the transition period and relabel it the implementation period. People will be able to see we are not ready in the Kent lorry park or the fishing ports and understand talks must continue.
    edited November 2020
    Roger said:

Relative to Cummings, I think that's a good thing. There seems surprisingly little positive support for either Brexit or Cummings over among the Mail contributors in the last few days, and as I understand the polls have shown a big drop in Brexit support too. There would still be a fair amount of angry people on the right even in the middle of a pandemic if we extended obviously, though.
  • 3ChordTrick3ChordTrick Posts: 98
    edited November 2020

Roger said:

Relative to Cummings, I think that's a good thing. There seems surprisingly little positive support for either Brexit or Cummings over among the Mail contributors in the last few days, and as I understand the polls have shown a big drop in Brexit support too. There would still be a fair amount of angry people on the right even in the middle of a pandemic if we extended, obviously, though.
    This won't be about extension to transition though but Johnson agreeing a deal and a 12 month implementation period won't it? No way practically or politically of extending the transition period I don't think?

Obviously the deal is a dangerous moment for the PM, given where his party is on Brexit and lockdown but no doubt it will be spun as a triumph.

I do think the reaction to a deal outside of the bubble will probably be a shrug of the shoulders except for a few zealots.

edited November 2020
    There is an article in the Times (now out of date) about the internecine warfare in Downing St, but what lies at the root is of course BoZo, and his total inability to do anything.

He meets Dom and agrees with him. He meets Carrie and agrees something different.

Nobody is in charge.

Ding, dong, the witch is dead, but the great and mighty Boz is still a frightened man behind a curtain with no plan
    Though keeping Cummings on was always untenable without him who's going to give cover to this completely shit government? The knives will be coming from every direction. There's a bunch of very angry senior civil servants for starters
    Roger said:

Though keeping Cummings on was always untenable without him who's going to give cover to this completely shit government? The knives will be coming from every direction. There's a bunch of very angry senior civil servants for starters

Thus the story about paying off the first person he sacked. I expect a few more settlements are in the works
    edited November 2020

A quick run through of Betfair prices.

Trump ECVs 210-239 1.16
    Biden ECVs 300-329 1.15

Hat tip. Thank you.
    Those prices have actually lengthened overnight. Does someone worry that Georgia might end up with no ECVs if the recount goes on too long? Remember in Florida 2000 one Republican tactic was to delay the recounts and then argue there was no time left so the court had to decide. (Note I'm not saying this will happen; just trying to rationalise the prices having drifted.)
    It's worth fleshing this out.

Thank you for this suggestion. Like you, I don't think that scenario will happen.

However, to apply the logical betting head to this, even if that DID happen it wouldn't give Georgia to Donald Trump. And that means, drumroll, that with North Carolina he finishes on 232. Cast iron.

Which makes THE value bet not the Biden 306 (though that's still over 95% imho) but the 210-239 on Donald Trump at 1.16. That is STONKING value bet.

There is basically no way that I can see in any reasonable scenario for Donald Trump not finishing between 210 and 239 ECVs. (It will be 232).

Anyone?
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    CNN / NYT have called Arizona for Biden, finally
  • Good morning, everyone.

Comic timing today. The vaunted weather front didn't wake me up, yet the minute I open the door to take the dog for a walk it starts raining stair rods.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,540

Roger said:

Relative to Cummings, I think that's a good thing. There seems surprisingly little positive support for either Brexit or Cummings over among the Mail contributors in the last few days, and as I understand the polls have shown a big drop in Brexit support too...
    What is the current level of support for the shitshow ?

A paper looking at what might have happened in the US with a mass screening program using an 80% specificity antigen test back in the summer.

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1326438745634185216
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

Roger said:

Relative to Cummings, I think that's a good thing. There seems surprisingly little positive support for either Brexit or Cummings over among the Mail contributors in the last few days, and as I understand the polls have shown a big drop in Brexit support too...

I'm not quite sure. I've read it's down even further, but I don't know which survey is the source for that. Anecdotally that would seem borne out by some of the forum and newspaper postings I see against the general backdrop of this crisis, though.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

John McCain says "Arizona to Trump - You're fired"

Good morning, everyone.

Comic timing today. The vaunted weather front didn't wake me up, yet the minute I open the door to take the dog for a walk it starts raining stair rods.

Really? Round here it just rained water as normal.
    People really don’t learn from others’ mistakes.
    “Could include Covid infected patients”...

To handle pandemic surge, Sanford sending some Fargo hospital patients to nursing home
    https://www.grandforksherald.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6759622-To-handle-pandemic-surge-Sanford-sending-some-Fargo-hospital-patients-to-nursing-home
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Silly of you lot to oppose it then wasn’t it

Nigelb said:

Roger said:

I'm not quite sure. I've read it's down even further, but I don't know which survey is the source for that. Anecdotally that would seem borne out by some of the forum and newspaper postings I see.
    Another poll before we decide deal/no deal would be timely.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Don’t be silly

The transition is done

We move into a 12 month “gradual implementation” phase at this point
    I wonder whether there is any scenario where Brexit could be reversed? With it's architects crashing and with no obvious momentum coming from anywhere else and Ireland and Scotland likely to secede and opinion turning sharply against......
    edited November 2020
    Charles said:

Don’t be silly

The transition is done

Amended implementation or transition ? The semantics decide.
    Charles said:

Don’t be silly

The transition is done

That’s an irregular verb, isn’t it? They Brexit in name only, you have a transition period, we are in an implementation phase.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Don’t be silly

The transition is done

That’s an irregular verb, isn’t it? They Brexit in name only, you have a transition period, we are in an implementation phase.
    Charles is only following the govt's failed attempts last time to rebrand the transition period as an implementation period.

Huge success back then....
    edited November 2020
    I am wondering however if it is any coincidence that Khan’s compensation package and Cummings’ departure have been announced on the same day.

The size of it is effectively an admission that she was treated not merely unfairly but illegally by Cummings. Given that’s twice he’s acted illegally and laws have been changed retrospectively to cover it, plus the fact all his ideas for actually governing have failed, it’s hard to see how he could have stayed.

Edit - I also wonder what he will do next. Who’s going to hire somebody with his very public track record?
    ydoethur said:

I am wondering however if it is any coincidence that Khan’s compensation package and Cummings’ departure have been announced on the same day.

The size of it is effectively an admission that she was treated not merely unfairly but illegally by Cummings. Given that’s twice he’s acted illegally and laws have been changed retrospectively to cover it, plus the fact all his ideas for actually governing have failed, it’s hard to see how he could have stayed.

Edit - I also wonder what he will do next. Who’s going to hire somebody with his very public track record?

Everyone and anyone. He is an operator.
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

An operator? He couldn’t operate a clockwork toy. And he’s demonstrated that so clearly even Johnson has spotted it.
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

An operator? He couldn’t operate a clockwork toy. And he’s demonstrated that so clearly even Johnson has spotted it.
    Seriously?

Why don't you start with some of his achievements?
    ydoethur said:

Future Prime Minister Michael Gove.
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Seriously?

Such as?
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Seriously?

Such as?
    Actually nothing I can think of over the past four years.

ydoethur said:

Future Prime Minister Michael Gove.
    Don't say that. I'd rather see Carrie officially taking over.
  • Scott_xP said:
    You would hope that Carrie has an advantage here.
    Charles said:

Silly of you lot to oppose it then wasn’t it
    You're a cantankerous old git really aren't you?

For the record, I urged everyone to vote for Theresa May's deal, despite being opposed to Brexit. I said at the time repeatedly that it was the best possible deal available and the least worst outcome. I even wrote to my then Conservative MP urging him to vote for it (he didn't).

Buck up.
  • ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Seriously?

Such as?
    His blog is very funny.
    edited November 2020

No the best deal was the one we already had.
    Haha true!!!! As you know, I'm a remainer so I agree.

But given that we were going ahead with Brexit, Theresa May's deal was the least worst outcome. It protected our trade deals, protected the United Kingdom and protected the Northern Ireland peace process.

Stupid fuckers on the Conservative right wing. Ideology but no common sense. Grrrrrrrrrr.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,950
    Nigelb said:

A paper looking at what might have happened in the US with a mass screening program using an 80% specificity antigen test back in the summer.

Nobody likes a smart arse.....
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Seriously?

Such as?
    I think you’re generous, I can go back 20. Two days and one slogan on the NE Assembly referendum subsequently spun as a single handed defeat of Tony Blair, a series of education reforms that have had the opposite effects to the ones intended and a slogan on the side of a bus that was based on a simple lie. In business, a string of bankruptcies. Plus we have Khan and Barnard Castle.

Not an encouraging CV.
    It is somewhat ironic that having sacked an aid for leaking, and costing the taxpayer a five figure sum, Dom is himself ejected from Downing St having been accused of leaking.

No flowers...
  • Scott_xP said:
    Which one of them is he shagging the most?
  • Hold on, are we missing a link here? The inquiry into who leaked the lockdown plans was said to have cleared prime suspect Matt Hancock and the other ministers and was moving on to officials. Since then, we have had two (or one and three quarter) resignations.
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Seriously?

Such as?
    I think you’re generous, I can go back 20. Two days and one slogan on the NE Assembly referendum subsequently spun as a single handed defeat of Tony Blair, a series of education reforms that have had the opposite effects to the ones intended and a slogan on the side of a bus that was based on a simple lie. In business, a string of bankruptcies. Plus we have Khan and Barnard Castle.

Not an encouraging CV.
    It's the same thinking that says Nigel Farage was a failed politician also.

Hold on, are we missing a link here? The inquiry into who leaked the lockdown plans was said to have cleared prime suspect Matt Hancock and the other ministers and was moving on to officials. Since then, we have had two (or one and three quarter) resignations.

Explicitly cited in press reports this morning
  • Scott_xP said:
    It is obvious who is in charge. Events.
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Cummings here looks very specifically like someone homeless I know in this area of London, and have frequently chatted to, and Carrie looks full of youthful enthusiasm and optimism.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Cummings loving had me a blast
    Cummings loving happened so fast
    I met a Boris crazy for leave
    I met a nerd, bald as can be

Cummings days drifting away to oh oh the Cummings nights
    Lie some more, lie some more
    Did you test your eyes?
    Lie some more, lie some more
    Like does he have a blog?

He ran away, he got the bug
    He ran by me on his way to the north
    I saved Leave's life, they nearly lost
    He showed off sacking those aides
    Cummings gone, somethings begun but oh oh the Cummings nights
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    While November seems to get better and better, I'd really prefer a PM with some significant and practicel ideas of their own, rather than relying on a 'power behind the throne'
    Must be tough for Boris, though; getting into bed at night and getting his instructions for the next day in his ear, instead of something more 'relaxing'.

And good morning one and all!
  • ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Don’t be silly

The transition is done

The referendum was to leave the EU. We left. Nothing in the referendum about what we do afterwards. We had a "transition period" where foaming-dog-fever Brexiteers could deny that they have won. We had a few fruitless "now look here" talks with the EU where they didn't for some reason cave in their long standing openly declared positions.

So now we move into the "implementation phase". This comes with Good News! Remember how they have spaffed large amounts of money up the wall warning people like me to prepare for potential post-transition disruption? Well good old Boris has triumphed! There will be no disruption! Because He has got the perfidious Europeans to back down and let us keep trading without delays and costs. Huzzah!
  • Charles said:

Don’t be silly

The transition is done

Surely the implementation period ends in 2024, about six months after the election. Thats the best hope the Tory party has of winning the 2024 election, making it another get Brexit done election, really this time, we promise, and you cant trust remainers anyway.
  • ydoethur said:

Trump TV?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Calloo callay!
    What a frabjous time for centrist Dads.

Corbyn suspended, Trump defeated, Corina vaccinated, and now Cummings resigns.

Apart from destroying confidence in lockdown rules and expensive employment disputes, what did he actually achieve?
  • FlannerFlanner Posts: 405
    Scott_xP said:
    Of course Brexit won't stop vaccines entering.

BECAUSE WE'LL HAVE DUMPED THE STUPID IDEA.

Fuck Brexit.

Trump ECVs 210-239 1.16
    Biden ECVs 300-329 1.15

Hat tip. Thank you.
    Its not just Georgia where that is (one of) the tactic(s). Same in Pennsylvania and Michigan. Stopping Biden reaching 270 is easier than Trump reaching 270 and has the same final outcome.

I would imagine most of the money backing legal challenges on Betfair is hoping rather than worrying this happens, with a big chunk of the rest people closing to free up funds and get rid of the uncertainty.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-legal-challenges-factbox/factbox-trump-lawsuits-seeks-to-stop-pennsylvania-michigan-from-certifying-biden-win-idUSKBN27S350
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Cummo announces his departure, COVID takes the Yorkshire Ripper, and it’s my dog’s birthday. #PartyFriday
  • Scott_xP said:

Hold on, are we missing a link here? The inquiry into who leaked the lockdown plans was said to have cleared prime suspect Matt Hancock and the other ministers and was moving on to officials. Since then, we have had two (or one and three quarter) resignations.

Explicitly cited in press reports this morning
    Ah, I'd missed that. Still only 12 hours behind Fleet Street though. :blush:
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm not saying Unionist politicians in Scotland are not right in the head but currently on Scottish Twitter Jo Swinson is trending because Nicola Sturgeon celebrated Scotland qualifying for the Euros.

Nigelb said:

Sure.

Slovakia Says COVID Double-Testing Cut Number of Infections by More Than Half
    https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-11-09/slovakia-says-covid-double-testing-cut-number-of-infections-by-more-than-half
    I know it's a crappy tribute act, but BoZo and Dom did just enact the opening scene of The Thick of It

That's why you've gotta go

No

Yes

No

I've made the announcement

Say that you're jumping before you were pushed, although we're going to be briefing that you were pushed.

Sorry.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    edited November 2020
    JACK_W said:

John McCain says "Arizona to Trump - You're fired"
    Premature. Trump needs only 770% of the ballots still to be counted in Pennsylvania. And then to get the courts to overturn the results in two other states.

"Simples", as the slightly-behind-the-latest-catchphrase young people say.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Couldn’t possibly be worse than being run by her fiancé.
    Just swapping one set of crooks for another bunch of hooray henry crooks. This lot will be much thicker than the last lot due to their lineage.
    edited November 2020
    Alistair said:

I'm not saying Unionist politicians in Scotland are not right in the head but currently on Scottish Twitter Jo Swinson is trending because Nicola Sturgeon celebrated Scotland qualifying for the Euros.

It's because last night Nicola Sturgeon re-tweeted the clip of her celebrating Jo Swinson's defeat. Although Sturgeon afterwards claimed she was cheering for Amy Callagham, the victor.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-11-09/slovakia-says-covid-double-testing-cut-number-of-infections-by-more-than-half
    The scientists pursuing testing purity over speed and volume have a lot to answer for. Once they knew that pre/asymptomatic transmission was the major problem with this virus it was surely obvious to huge numbers of people outside of the scientific community that this should be the way to go.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    I was interested to note in the Guardian article that Ms Symonds was close to Lord Goldsmith.

Does anyone know if Boris is still taking violin lessons?
    Scott_xP said:

I know it's a crappy tribute act, but BoZo and Dom did just enact the opening scene of The Thick of It

That's why you've gotta go

No

Yes

No

I've made the announcement

Say that you're jumping before you were pushed, although we're going to be briefing that you were pushed.

Sorry.

Wasn't that nicked from Yes Minister? "It's been announced, it's in the programme".
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,950
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sure.

Our people get tested, are positive - then go back to work.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,747
    Unlike many on here I have a lot of time for Cummings. He is an iconoclast, and lordy do we need some of them. The smug, self-satisfied blob that runs our institutions, government and society seriously need a good kicking. And then some more kicking.

But a government cannot run as a permanent revolution. Eventually a modus operandi needs to be reached with the establishment and some compromises need to be made. I think Cummings saw this himself in his January blog. And he was right. As usual.

I was interested to note in the Guardian article that Ms Symonds was close to Lord Goldsmith.

Does anyone know if Boris is still taking violin lessons?

Lockdown rules appear to have clarified things. And changed the course of the Government.
    alex_ said:

Wasn't that nicked from Yes Minister? "It's been announced, it's in the programme".

Yes it was, but the "say you jumped and we'll say you were pushed" bit is exactly what was briefed last night
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Don’t be silly

The transition is done

Gradual implementation of the Turkish conscript treatment.
This discussion has been closed.