Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » May’s PB polling average: the Establishment decline continu

Comments

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,740

The other amazing thing about that poll, as Corporeal noted.

They didn't have a single Don't Know/Refused to say.

That I think is unparalleled in polling history.

Thumbscrews.
    If you don't tell us how you plan to vote, we'll talk to you about the merits of electoral reform or the pros and cons of Scottish Independence.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Can someone make them stop posting non-credible info?
    (I guess the voters will)

Roger Helmer ‏@RogerHelmerMEP 24m
    The latest poll for the Newark by-election puts UKIP ahead http://www.bloggers4ukip.org.uk/2014/06/independent-poll-puts-ukip-in-lead-in.html

How cynical do we feel like being about this reporting of a mysterious poll?
    corporeal said:

Speedy said:

The latest poll for the Newark by-election puts UKIP ahead http://www.bloggers4ukip.org.uk/2014/06/independent-poll-puts-ukip-in-lead-in.html

'Carried out by a group of students'...

Seems legit.
    Don't be too sure, I remember in one of the US races - I think it was VA governor - there was loads of professional polling showing the Dem ahead by anything from 7% to 12%, and a single poll by some university's "polling society" showing a 2% squeaker. I wrote off the student poll, assumed it was in the bag and piled my hard-earned bitcoins on the Dem. I won the bet... but it was a 2% squeaker.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

I fear accommodation in the area may be somewhat limited...

I've recently been finding airbnb as a good way to find places to stay.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Turnout out could be higher than normal because of the Tories GOTV operation.

1,000 activists in the seat since 4:45am today.

All those activists 'encouraging' people to vote? Sounds a bit Tower Hamlets doesn't it...?
    Nah, this is a superior get out the vote operation.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Blue_rog said:

JBriskin said:

Blue_rog said:

I've just had a thought about encouraging young people to vote.

How about including registration and actual voting in the PPE lessons at school?

I assume you're trolling. But I wouldn't put it past Gove!!!! Newsnight Review Legend!!!!!

I shall attempt to calm down now.

I don't see why that is trolling! Including the mechanics of how democracy works in the UK seems a logical part of PPE. Extending this to voter registration when students pass 18 is not a huge leap and having a polling station in school for registered voters seems logical as well.

Apologies I may have inadvertently misled the site :-)

Apparently, PPE is now called PSHCE (Personal, Social, Health, and Citizenship Education)
  • Options
    @AveryLP

I noticed that Limp Pole, Reduce your alchohol and recreational drugs intake, and visit an optician, I implore you.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

"My guess is that your voting intention is at the Skoda stage."

You mean he appreciates value for money, quality, and sound engineering over ill conceived snobbery?

This is all very confusing considering skodas are quite german really, who knows who owns jaguar anymore, and minis are made by BMW...

not to mention all those Japanese cars built in the UK.

Thus, and in conclusion:

All politicians are the same, you'd better vote Lada (or bicycle- but all bicycles are built in Taiwan, more or less, so there'S another problem)
    Avery drives an Allegro.
    The truth is out.

I have both owned and driven an Allegro. It was the second car I ever owned and the first I bought with my own resources.

And almost certainly the worst car I have owned.

But it has a special place in my heart. I was driving it on the A40 between Greenford and Northolt (then under much development causing tailbacks) when news came through on the radio that Margaret Thatcher had won the no-confidence vote in the HoC against Callaghan.

That is why I can affirm that at least the horn and emergency warning lights worked in the car even if nothing else did.
    The square wheel version?

Obloid certainly.

'Quartic'.

Did you own the Vanden Plas model?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

How many voters really want to be woken up by Grant Shapps at 5 in the morning?
  • Options
    @DavidL - There's some decent hotels in Leeds, which is about 20 mins away from Ilkley
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Don't know, but that's not what they are doing.

Delivering leaflets from 7 am and other stuff.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    AndyJS said:

Not the ones who went back to the hotel with Nigel at 3.42am, that's for sure.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

The other amazing thing about that poll, as Corporeal noted.

They didn't have a single Don't Know/Refused to say.

That I think is unparalleled in polling history.

Also handy how all the response numbers turn exactly into %s. Not a decimal point in sight, all so perfect.

(Credit for noticing this should be shared with ToryJim when he and I were looking at this poll and some silly time this morning).
  • Options
    Apparently the Shard has been evacuated - Smoke in the basement.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2014

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

You mean he appreciates value for money, quality, and sound engineering over ill conceived snobbery?

This is all very confusing considering skodas are quite german really, who knows who owns jaguar anymore, and minis are made by BMW...

Thus, and in conclusion:

All politicians are the same, you'd better vote Lada (or bicycle- but all bicycles are built in Taiwan, more or less, so there'S another problem)
    Avery drives an Allegro.
    The truth is out.

I have both owned and driven an Allegro. It was the second car I ever owned and the first I bought with my own resources.

But it has a special place in my heart. I was driving it on the A40 between Greenford and Northolt (then under much development causing tailbacks) when news came through on the radio that Margaret Thatcher had won the no-confidence vote in the HoC against Callaghan.

That is why I can affirm that at least the horn and emergency warning lights worked in the car even if nothing else did.

Obloid certainly.

'Quartic'.

No. It wasn't even a GL.

No air-con.

The windows were manual!

It was so shaming to drive, I had to turn the collars of my car coat up and wear a titfer.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

The worst thing in the world will be if that poll is accurate.

Means any numpty can posting polls in the lead up to the elections next year, and say "Remember that Newark poll that turned out to be right"

Is the road to anarchy.
    Not really as we a) don't know the sample period b) don't know the polling question c) the numbers lead to suspiciously exact percentages d) there is only one blog carrying it

Which suggests that even if accurate it would be entirely a fluke because all the above suggests that someone just made it up.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    BBC Question Time ‏@bbcquestiontime 10m

The #bbcqt panel this week: @DavidJonesMP, @leicesterliz, @HywelWilliamsMP, @IsabelHardman and @NevWilshire_SBM.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

Some group having a quick puff of the "erb" before another boring meeting?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

@DavidL - There's some decent hotels in Leeds, which is about 20 mins away from Ilkley

There's also a very good train connection between Ilkley and the centre of either Leeds or Bradford.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

Thus, and in conclusion:

Avery drives an Allegro.
    The truth is out.

Obloid certainly.

'Quartic'.

No. It wasn't even a GL.

No air-con.

The windows were manual!

It was so shaming to drive, I had to turn the collars of my car coat up and wear a titfer.

A car without air con or electric windows? Surely you jest. Next you'll be telling us it didn't have an iPod connector.

I remember when the power steering on my car failed, I bitched and moaned, my father pointed out the first 20 years of his driving life, none of his cars had power steering.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    ToryJim said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Means any numpty can posting polls in the lead up to the elections next year, and say "Remember that Newark poll that turned out to be right"

Is the road to anarchy.
    Not really as we a) don't know the sample period b) don't know the polling question c) the numbers lead to suspiciously exact percentages d) there is only one blog carrying it

Which suggests that even if accurate it would be entirely a fluke because all the above suggests that someone just made it up.
    Anyone want to contact Loughborough University to find out where it came from?

• Options
    edited June 2014

ToryJim said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Is the road to anarchy.

I've already rung them, someone will call me back either today or tomorrow.

The number I rang was for their Politics department

01509 22299
  • Options
    Eagles my mother frequently extols the virtues of cars with crank handles and non-synchromesh gearboxes. I got a slap once for suggesting her first car came with a man and a flag.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

You should have pointed out to your dad that the steering ratios are different.
    Might have earned you a thick ear, but it would have been worth it.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I remember when the power steering on my car failed, I bitched and moaned, my father pointed out the first 20 years of his driving life, none of his cars had power steering.

But they were built differently as they knew there was no power steering.

So not quite a fair comparison.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited June 2014

I'll second that. Leeds also has one of the finest curry houses I have ever visited and the Gents' in the basement of the Leeds Club is an unspoilt Victorian masterpiece. If I was really pushed and forced to give an honest opinion I would have to say I actually quite like Leeds, at least the city centre. The bar at the railway station is a disgrace, though, and best avoided.

Edited Extra bit: The taxi drivers are in the main bloody useless and don't know their own city.
  • Options
    Guardian breaking news says Shard is being evacuated after reports of smoke in the basement.
  • Options

Apparently the Shard has been evacuated - Smoke in the basement.

Are you sure it wasn't SeanT arriving for lunch?

• Options
    Whatever it turns out to be, I am glad they have evacuated the building successfully.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Is the road to anarchy.

01509 22299
    That in itself is suggestive, as if it was legit you'd expect them to realise they'd get interest. I'm sure we will get to the bottom of it but until we get more info I'm tending to regard it as made up numbers.
  • Options
    LogicalSongLogicalSong Posts: 120
    ToryJim said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Is the road to anarchy.

I looked at the blog (http://www.bloggers4ukip.org.uk/2014/06/independent-poll-puts-ukip-in-lead-in.html) where the 'poll' was shown
    and saw this comment:

"But I'm very disappointed to see our leader Mr Farage is not with us but on holiday in Malta. The People's Army needs it's General!"

Is Farage seriously on holiday? Unbelievable.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ToryJim said:

Eagles my mother frequently extols the virtues of cars with crank handles and non-synchromesh gearboxes. I got a slap once for suggesting her first car came with a man and a flag.

I remember the time when I bought an ML a few years ago.

The ML doesn't have a traditional gear stick (it has a paddle shift gear stick next to the steering wheel) and it didn't have a traditional handbrake either, the handbrake is a foot handbrake where the clutch is in most manual cars/footrest in automatic cars

Christ when I Dad drove it, it was a scary experience.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

Thus, and in conclusion:

Avery drives an Allegro.
    The truth is out.

Obloid certainly.

'Quartic'.

No. It wasn't even a GL.

No air-con.

The windows were manual!

Ha. I can remember going to a wedding in one, and hiding in the footwell.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Is the road to anarchy.

01509 22299
    That in itself is suggestive, as if it was legit you'd expect them to realise they'd get interest. I'm sure we will get to the bottom of it but until we get more info I'm tending to regard it as made up numbers.
    To be fair, it was the lady who deals with admissions and undergraduates I spoke to.

She was lovely but this was out of her normal field of expertise.
  • Options
    @LogicalSong

"Is Farage seriously on holiday? Unbelievable"

Depends on who you are on holiday with? The pic of his companion in the papers might have me searching the late booking section.
  • Options
    @LogicalSong‌
    Farage is not in the UK whether you describe it as a holiday or not he's certainly enjoying the jollies.

Another thing that strikes me as suspicious about that blog is that there is no link to the "report" of the numbers. Really?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    @Mr Tyndall
    Did UKIP-Newark select Mr Helmer as candidate, or was he selected by UKIP-HQ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    edited June 2014
    I've done some analysis on the 4 most recent Yougovs, Populus & Ashcroft:

*Others kept constant

Weighted VI:

CON 31.3
    LAB 36.2
    LD 8.1
    UKIP 14.6
    OTHERS 9.8

Unweighted VI:

CON 28.2
    LAB 37.6
    LD 6.9
    UKIP 17.5
    OTHERS 9.8

Effect of weighting

CON +3.1
    LAB -1.5
    LD +1.2
    UKIP -2.8

The Yougov methodology is predominant (5630 / 7650 respondents), and Ashcroft's weighted VI figures are rounded as I found it impossible to derive his actual weighted VI

Nonetheless there is an assumption that more people will vote Conservative than will say so, and less UKIP in particular.

Workings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MOuv8qdTYitjNl4XCacfD1WFSN6V9Hto1B8XtpyAmFw/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    Eagles yes I guess they aren't used to such things, however if someone had done a legit poll and come up with that conclusion you'd expect it to be publicised on more than merely a blog. I wonder if there are any serious political journos trying to stand this up as it would make a great potential story, students beat established pollsters etc.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    stodge said:

AveryLP said:

GIN1138 said:

Happy Newark Day.

Is this the day when the Balloon burst's on UKIP?

Tomorrow's headlines:

Revolting Kippers Quelled

One can almost detect the febrile desperation among some of the Tories on here this morning. To have a sitting Prime Minister visit four times, to send (supposedly) 1,000 polling day activists (a better example of the law of diminishing returns would be hard to find) for a seat with a 16,000 majority smacks of something akin to panic.

Perhaps the 25% Ashcroft poll rating has concentrated minds at CCHQ.

Are you suggesting Team Blue shouldn't have made any effort in Newark?

Given some of the seat's they defended and lost during their last time in government (someone pointed out yesterday that they even lost Eastbourne after their MP was blown up by the IRA) you can't blame them for throwing everything at Newark and showing they aren't complacent or taking their voters for granted.

• Options
    My feeling on that poll is that they've simply polled Newark proper.
  • Options
    I notice that there is an "investigation" going on into the spat between May and Gove.

Surely a quick trip to the "headmasters" office would be sufficient?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

'Carried out by a group of students'...

Seems legit.
    Don't be too sure, I remember in one of the US races - I think it was VA governor - there was loads of professional polling showing the Dem ahead by anything from 7% to 12%, and a single poll by some university's "polling society" showing a 2% squeaker. I wrote off the student poll, assumed it was in the bag and piled my hard-earned bitcoins on the Dem. I won the bet... but it was a 2% squeaker.
    In the US, local universities often do the best polls because they know the local dynamics the best, and hence how to appropriately weight most accurately.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

stodge said:

AveryLP said:

GIN1138 said:

Happy Newark Day.

Is this the day when the Balloon burst's on UKIP?

Tomorrow's headlines:

Revolting Kippers Quelled

One can almost detect the febrile desperation among some of the Tories on here this morning. To have a sitting Prime Minister visit four times, to send (supposedly) 1,000 polling day activists (a better example of the law of diminishing returns would be hard to find) for a seat with a 16,000 majority smacks of something akin to panic.

Perhaps the 25% Ashcroft poll rating has concentrated minds at CCHQ.

Are you suggesting Team Blue shouldn't have made any effort in Newark?

Given some of the seat's they defended and lost during their last time in government (someone pointed out yesterday that they even lost Eastbourne after their MP was blown up by the IRA) you can't blame them for throwing everything at Newark and showing they aren't complacent or taking their voters for granted.

I think some of the effort is less about this seat and this by-election than sending a number of more general messages. The main message being "we've got game".
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

@Mr Tyndall
    Did UKIP-Newark select Mr Helmer as candidate, or was he selected by UKIP-HQ?

A shortlist of 4 candidates was chosen by the UKIP national executive committee and was then put to the local UKIP branch to make a selection after interviews. No idea who the other 3 options were although there were various rumours at the time.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    ToryJim said:

Eagles yes I guess they aren't used to such things, however if someone had done a legit poll and come up with that conclusion you'd expect it to be publicised on more than merely a blog. I wonder if there are any serious political journos trying to stand this up as it would make a great potential story, students beat established pollsters etc.

Probably best to phone up the politics lecturers directly - http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/phir/staff/

and see what they know. Whether they'll appreciate being cold called...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Gove being accused of having an anti-Islam agenda. What utter nonsense, may he continue in office for many years to come:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-gove-accused-of-using-trojan-horse-row-to-push-antiislam-agenda-9488549.html
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552
    Blue_rog said:

There's also a very good train connection between Ilkley and the centre of either Leeds or Bradford.

Thanks, the Monday is slightly more problematic as the kids have to get back for school etc. I will explore if I can put the family on the train back to Dundee.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Do you not think it more than a little malodorous that all the figures lead to whole number percentages exactly? Not a decimal fraction in sight, no need for rounding at all? If that's a real poll it's the most startlingly freakish set of numbers in history, if it's accurate on top even more so. I just don't buy it.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

I notice that there is an "investigation" going on into the spat between May and Gove.

Surely a quick trip to the "headmasters" office would be sufficient?

Nowadays such disputes are resolved through counselling.

You will have to vote UKIP to get back the excitement of a visit to the headmasters' study, smarmy.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Kipper Convert Alert!

A friend of mine has recently converted to Kipper-dom. He is a member of the metropolitan elite, and someone who - as recently as 2010 - was very anti-UKIP.

However, it's not all good news for the Kippers. He is in charge of the UK off-shoring business for a large consultancy. He thinks there'll be a big pick-up in off-shoring of call centres and support operations in the event of Brexit: a big opportunity for his company to take jobs out of the UK and ship them off to Poland.

This is the weird thing about the British anti-EU people: They're (officially at least) in favour of free trade, except for labour. In most countries the populist right want to stop both immigrants coming in and jobs going out, but UKIP seem to be perfectly happy for employers to sack low-skilled British people and give their jobs to Poles, as long as the Poles who take their jobs do them in Poland.
    Because:

(a) Tradeable jobs are only a fraction of all low income jobs, meaning low income people can adjust by going elsewhere
    (b) Immigration comes with huge pressure on housing and public services, which doesn't occur in the case of offshoring
    (c) you don't get the rapid cultural change/alienation effect in the offshoring case

That said, it's interesting that rcs' friend thinks there will be more opportunities for trade with the EU in a brexit case - isn't that the opposite of what we've been traditionally told?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Gove being accused of having an anti-Islam agenda. What utter nonsense, may he continue in office for many years to come:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-gove-accused-of-using-trojan-horse-row-to-push-antiislam-agenda-9488549.html

I assume all these schools were delighted to receive the Michael Gove signed edition of the Bible.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

(a) Tradeable jobs are only a fraction of all low income jobs, meaning low income people can adjust by going elsewhere

That should probably be qualified with something like "short-term, visibly tradeable jobs are only a fraction of all low income jobs...".
  • Options
    @AveryLP

Ozzie could give the number of that acquaintance of his who specializes in such matters to the PM?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Pulpstar said:

Do you not think it more than a little malodorous that all the figures lead to whole number percentages exactly? Not a decimal fraction in sight, no need for rounding at all? If that's a real poll it's the most startlingly freakish set of numbers in history, if it's accurate on top even more so. I just don't buy it.
    That's a definite concern with it for sure.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ToryJim said:

Pulpstar said:

Polling by Loughborough students gives kippers the lead?

Can only be the results of a pub quiz.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

"Whitehall sources revealed that behind the scenes the Education Secretary has been pressing David Cameron for months to widen the Government’s definition of Muslim “extremism”."

“And [Gove] thinks anybody who holds conservative Muslim views is a bit of an extremist."

Conservative Muslim views like believing hands should be chopped off for theft, that women should receive a fraction of the inheritance of men, that democracy is decadent, that women should cover their entire bodies in front of male strangers, that adulterers should be stoned to death, that Saudi Arabia is a society to be praised?

Well, bloody hooray. There's at least one minister that gets it: just because you're a Muslim that doesn't support terrorism doesn't mean you're a moderate. This is the trap British governments have been falling into for years - tolerating the indoctrination of kids with some abhorrent and barbaric views, as long as they oppose suicide bombing.

And where's the much-praised Theresa May in this dispute?

"Mr Gove’s stance is understood to have caused unease among cabinet colleagues including the Home Secretary Theresa May and the Communities Secretary Eric Pickles.

In particular both were angry at his decision to appoint Peter Clarke, the former head of Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism department, to investigate the Trojan Horse claims using ministerial statutory powers. They believed they had an agreement with Mr Gove that his role should be voluntary. Ms May and Mr Gove are said to have had a number of “spats” in cabinet committee meetings."

Oh, right.
  • Options
    Paddpower have got back to me and added the Oakshott polling constituencies to their markets.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1214564

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    I quite like this article from the Torygraph. Conservative future has descended on Newark and their behaviour would be enough to get Lord Rennard salivating:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100274846/todays-young-tories-only-have-eyes-for-each-other/

I hope they enjoy themselves in the accomodation central office provides them with, but remember it's the bankers who are paying for it.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

"Whitehall sources revealed that behind the scenes the Education Secretary has been pressing David Cameron for months to widen the Government’s definition of Muslim “extremism”."

“And [Gove] thinks anybody who holds conservative Muslim views is a bit of an extremist."

Conservative Muslim views like believing hands should be chopped off for theft, that women should receive a fraction of the inheritance of men, that democracy is decadent, that women should cover their entire bodies in front of male strangers, that adulterers should be stoned to death, that Saudi Arabia is a society to be praised?
    Depends what you define by Conservative.

Conservative christianity goes to killing 'witches' etc.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Quote reported by Andrew Sparrow in the Guardian:

As we said the veracity of the poll can't be checked because it's not been published but it reflects what bookies are saying

— Bloggers 4 UKIP (@bloggers4ukip) June 5, 2014
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Rexel56 said:

As we said the veracity of the poll can't be checked because it's not been published but it reflects what bookies are saying

@LadPolitics: How bets taken and money staked on the Newark by-election differ with Ladbrokes. http://t.co/uFYDXDQ5yt
  • Options
    The Tories did manage to win the Enfield Southgate byelection in 1984 and quite comfortably too. Still it's hard to imagine a seat like that being lost even in the worst landslide defeat......
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Conservative future has descended on Newark and their behaviour would be enough to get Lord Rennard salivating

If someone's got a successful recipe for doing something and you don't get many chances to test it, like Lord Rennard and winning by-elections, you're best just copying everything they do to the smallest detail, even if you can't be sure that all of it really helps.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

It stinks is what it does.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    corporeal said:

Excuse me? What significant strata of 'Conservative Christianity' even in the world's remotest backwater believes in the death penalty for witchcraft? Ridiculous mischeif making.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    edited June 2014

I quite like this article from the Torygraph. Conservative future has descended on Newark and their behaviour would be enough to get Lord Rennard salivating:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100274846/todays-young-tories-only-have-eyes-for-each-other/

I hope they enjoy themselves in the accomodation central office provides them with, but remember it's the bankers who are paying for it.

Sounds like the kids are enjoying themselves doesn't it? :D

• Options

Political youth organisations are (and I say this as part of one) strange and eccentric places.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

I know plenty of people that identify as conservative Christians. None would support the killing of witches. Meanwhile the views I ascribe to conservative Muslims are frequently expressed and many are actually the law of a number of countries around the world.

We can be objective about this, if you like. Can we say that, of any population, the third most conservative count as "conservative, the third most progressive count as "progressive", and the third in the middle count as "mainstream"? I'm happy to dig up some opinion polls showing conservative views that are held by around a third of Muslims, and we can judge how extreme they are?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Paddpower have got back to me and added the Oakshott polling constituencies to their markets.

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

Take as much as you can on the SNP winning Inverness.

• Options
    Socrates - there's something rather ironic about Michael Gove with his dark ages manichean view of the world always looking for enemies to declare war on getting tough on Muslims who don't want to embrace western modernity. Should we challenge extremism? Yes. Is Michael Gove the person to do it? No!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Mr. Corporeal, I must concur that the UKIP poll has the smell of fish about it. And I don't mean the wholesome, genetically engineered aroma of enormo-haddock.

Mr. Gin, they're keen to prove life is better under a Conservative.
  • Options
    Mr. Booth, so what are you suggesting? Gove's resignation? Letting Trojan Horse go uninvestigated?
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer

I do hope they are using condoms, otherwise a "Future Conservative" government might overspend on the STD budget?
  • Options

Socrates - there's something rather ironic about Michael Gove with his dark ages manichean view of the world always looking for enemies to declare war on getting tough on Muslims who don't want to embrace western modernity. Should we challenge extremism? Yes. Is Michael Gove the person to do it? No!

Lazy stereotypes from a left-winger trying to brush the issue under the carpet. What a surprise. It's pathetic how people that claim to believe in feminism, secularism etc suddenly go limp-wristed when it comes to conservative Muslims. I guess they just vote Labour in strong enough numbers that you can ignore them?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    corporeal said:

Political youth organisations are (and I say this as part of one) strange and eccentric places.
    As long as your 'antics' are not published on face-book or other social media corporeal, your political future is safe(ish) - we won't spill the beans, honest. ;-)
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer

There seems to be evidence pointing to Gove ignoring it back in 2010.
    How times change?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Morris_Dancer

I do hope they are using condoms, otherwise a "Future Conservative" government might overspend on the STD budget?

In a few years time I can see a few kids asking

"Mummy, Daddy, why did you name me Newark?"

• Options

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

I'd have two caveats. Firstly the current polling is under the spotlight of the referendum. I wouldn't much trust Scottish GE polling till its over. Secondly don't underestimate Danny's pork barrel politics. He's bringing home the bacon. The Scottish skiing industry has never had it so good.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

corporeal said:

Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

I know plenty of people that identify as conservative Christians. None would support the killing of witches. Meanwhile the views I ascribe to conservative Muslims are frequently expressed and many are actually the law of a number of countries around the world.

We can be objective about this, if you like. Can we say that, of any population, the third most conservative count as "conservative, the third most progressive count as "progressive", and the third in the middle count as "mainstream"? I'm happy to dig up some opinion polls showing conservative views that are held by around a third of Muslims, and we can judge how extreme they are?
    Witch-hunts/killings are both existent and part of the legal systems in a number of African countries.

There are conservative Christians and then there are conservative Christians.

Can't say I'm aware of any polling on it though.

I suspect cultural background is more influential on such matters than religion per se (noting religion as part of cultural background etc).
  • Options

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

Would recommend sticking it on the LDs winning Inverness.
  • Options

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

I've piled on the Nats in Inverness.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

I'd have two caveats. Firstly the current polling is under the spotlight of the referendum. I wouldn't much trust Scottish GE polling till its over. Secondly don't underestimate Danny's pork barrel politics. He's bringing home the bacon. The Scottish skiing industry has never had it so good.
    Is Danny claiming the credit for the snow now?
  • Options

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

Paddy the Power limited me to £6.09 on the SNP winning Inverness.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, kids should be given proper names. Like Morris. (Unless their surname's 'Dancer', of course).

Mr. Smarmeron, indeed, he deserves censure for that, and praise for doing something about it now. As Stannis Baratheon said, the good does nor wash away the bad, nor the bad wash away the good.
  • Options
    @OblitusSumMe

Danny has been "snowing" us all for years. He claimed to be a LibDem .
  • Options

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

Try over the phone and in their shops, they let you put more on there.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Betting Post:

I've maxed out BOTH the SNP and the Lib Dems in Inverness on Paddy Power.

SNP @ 11-4;

LD @ 6-4

I think the value is in laying Labour !

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

Is Danny claiming the credit for the snow now?
    Of course - he brings the Chill Winds of Toryism with him whenever he returns to the highlands...
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer

Repentance is only true if it is not forced.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Lazy stereotypes from a left-winger trying to brush the issue under the carpet. What a surprise. It's pathetic how people that claim to believe in feminism, secularism etc suddenly go limp-wristed when it comes to conservative Muslims. I guess they just vote Labour in strong enough numbers that you can ignore them?
    For the record, I'm in favour of the secularisation of schools generally, or at the least state funded ones.

The Independent reported that the same Home Secretary who sent personally signed copies of the Bible out to schools is pushing for the secularisation of ones in Muslim areas...
  • Options
    Mr. Smarmeron, is it forced? He's being criticised now for being 'too tough' on potential indoctrination of schoolkids. It's an odd thing to attack someone over.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

Would recommend sticking it on the LDs winning Inverness.
    I know you would, but I fear for the Lib Dems in Scotland next year.

For the Lib Dems in Scotland next year they will be like the Romans at the Battle of Arausio

Nick Clegg = Quintus Servilius Caepio

Danny Alexander = Gnaeus Mallius Maximus
  • Options

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

Lib Dems into 15-8 now
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

Lib Dems into 15-8 now
    The Power of PB.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Is this a typo? Over at the Times breaking news banner

ECB cuts rate on deposit facility to -0.1%.
  • Options
    Mr. Corporeal, worth mentioning we've had number of successful Islamic terrorist incidents, and a higher number of foiled or failed incidents, in recent years, compared to a relatively low number of Christian suicide bombers.

I'd be quite happy to see the state only fund secular schools, but when it comes to indoctrination and radicalisation in the UK, Christianity and Islam are on different planets. [And no, I'm not saying it's tremendously widespread in Islam. It only takes a few madmen to cause carnage].
  • Options

corporeal said:

As long as your 'antics' are not published on face-book or other social media corporeal, your political future is safe(ish) - we won't spill the beans, honest. ;-)

Oh dear

I live in fear of someone bringing up me tipping Brown to continue as leader until September 2010 mere hours before he stepped down (thought he'd continue as a placeholder for a few months)

It's going to be amusing when we hit the generation where most of us our politicians' youthful indiscretions will be open to us.

I think it'll be a few years of tabloid craziness and then we'll settle down to a more humane view of them.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,147

corporeal said:

Inverness

Lab 6/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 11/4

Twickenham

LD 1/4
    Con 5/2

Cambridge

Lab 2/5
    LD 7/4

Wells
    Con 2/5
    LD 7/4

Not many constituencies with a ski lift or the Cairngorm Mountain Railway ...

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/04/danny-alexander-ski-lift-vat-budget/

• Options
    @Morris_Dancer

Depends on the motives? There is speculation in some quarters that he ignored what was presented to him originally, in his zeal for "free" schools, and is now going overboard to cover up his earlier mistake. Jealousy of May encroaching on his personal project is also cited.
This discussion has been closed.