Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » May’s PB polling average: the Establishment decline continu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » May’s PB polling average: the Establishment decline continues

The pageantry of the Queen’s Speech and the political debate following it returns those following British politics back to a safe and familiar comfort zone: everything looks much as it always has.  It’s almost as if last month never happened.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    That should be "the Labour and LD decline continues"

*titters*
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    ToryJim, yes. Going through it all seems to go back to that link.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

The more you delve into this "poll" the more something doesn't feel altogether kosher. The numbers and percentages just work too exactly. I think the first thing that needs to be ascertained is if Loughborough or anyone associated with it have even done any sort of survey into Newark. I fear this could be a sophisticated attempt to ramp.

I agree. It doesn't smell right. Not a smoking gun of course, but it doesn't.

The twitter account of the author of that blog describes himself as UKIP black-ops.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Newark by-election: 1,000 Tory activists in last-ditch push for votes

Lord Feldman and Grant Shapps to lead Tory 'dawn raids' in Newark to get the vote out ahead of the by-election"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10875934/Tories-flood-Newark-with-a-thousand-activists-in-last-ditch-push-for-votes.html
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    AndyJS said:

"Newark by-election: 1,000 Tory activists in last-ditch push for votes

Lord Feldman and Grant Shapps to lead Tory 'dawn raids' in Newark to get the vote out ahead of the by-election"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10875934/Tories-flood-Newark-with-a-thousand-activists-in-last-ditch-push-for-votes.html

On Wednesday Mr Farage was at a three-day conference organised by the Institute of Travel and Tourism of the UK in Malta. He is due to arrive in Newark on Thursday afternoon.

Do we know who will be accompanying College in his trip to Newark?

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    corporeal said:

ToryJim said:

The more you delve into this "poll" the more something doesn't feel altogether kosher. The numbers and percentages just work too exactly. I think the first thing that needs to be ascertained is if Loughborough or anyone associated with it have even done any sort of survey into Newark. I fear this could be a sophisticated attempt to ramp.

The twitter account of the author of that blog describes himself as UKIP black-ops.
    It looks very much as if this is a poll from Loughborough, pronounced 'Low-brow', rather than Loughborough, pronounced 'Luffbrer'.

Maybe some kind gentleman is offering UKIP a crutch to lean om?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

corporeal said:

ToryJim said:

It looks very much as if this is a poll from Loughborough, pronounced 'Low-brow', rather than Loughborough, pronounced 'Luffbrer'.

Maybe some kind gentleman is offering UKIP a crutch to lean om?

There's always the old story about an Australian asking to be directed to 'Loo-ger-ber-oo-ger'
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (FPT)
    HYUFD said:

The ultimate in trash TV now on ITV 2 'I wanna marry Harry!'
    http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/entertainment/i-wanna-marry-harry

I haven't watched it yet, but my brother (who lives in New York but is currently visiting the UK) told me that it was complete rubbish, it was slated vobulously by the reviewers, and that the only people more stupid than the people in the programme are the people who would even consider watching more than half a second of it.

All of which makes me even more curious to watch it, just to see how bad it was.

Going off on a tangent, I was surprised to find that my brother is familiar with the Johnny Nice Painter sketches on "The Fast Show", even though he has lived in the USA since 2001. He immediately got the reference when I started saying things like "The Chasm of Clams" and "Equestrian cement!" to him.

R.I.P. James (Twisleton-Wykeham-)Fiennes, whose funeral my brother will attend later today.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

(FPT)

HYUFD said:

I haven't watched it yet, but my brother (who lives in New York but is currently visiting the UK) told me that it was complete rubbish, it was slated vobulously by the reviewers, and that the only people more stupid than the people in the programme are the people who would even consider watching more than half a second of it.
    But who gets to be Ike?
  • Options
    No posts in three hours? Where are all the insomniacs?!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    If there is a "May effect" then the change vs YAG is also interesting:

Con: +2.2
    Lab: -2.1
    LD: -
    UKIP: -1.2

So it will be interesting to see whether Labour in 2014 enjoy the recovery they did in 2013 (+2.3 points by July).

On the Newark "Loughborough University Poll" I have seen it described as a poll by "a group of students at Loughborough University" - so the jury must be out in how robust their technique is.

And in other news, Kim Jings-Eck rumbles on, with demands for apologies....tho as Alan Cochrane observes:

And if the referendum debate is now plumbing new depths, Mr Salmond need look no further than his own mirror for the principal culprit.

He has stood by for years whilst his followers have traduced and grossly insulted all and everyone who opposed them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10876686/Salmond-has-stood-by-while-followers-have-thrown-insults.html
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm watching the rubbish programme about the pretend Prince Harry

• Options
    JohnLoony said:

RobD said:

I'm watching the rubbish programme about the pretend Prince Harry

Ugh, rather you than me. I think I'd be too mortified while watching it...!
  • Options
    corporeal said:

JohnLoony said:

(FPT)

HYUFD said:

But who gets to be Ike?
    Who is Ike? If you mean Eisenhower, what's he got to do with anything?
    Purple! Purple! Like the endless darkness of space that leads to the chasm of clams... The gulls have plucked out my eyes... we crawl on our keens towards our doom...
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited June 2014
    I suspect this is the "Guido opinion poll" that tweeter is on about (found by putting "Guido opinon poll" into a search engine):

http://order-order.com/2014/05/25/ukip-top-poll-in-newark/

It was a very large sample taken on 22nd May and organised by the electoral commission....
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    RobD said:

That should be "the Labour and LD decline continues"

*titters*

In a rolling year-on-year sense, yes, that's true, though the first breakthrough for the extra-Westminster parties came in 2012 at the expense of the Conservatives (Labour actually increasing VI share at the time too). Apart from the recovery of a secondary loss of votes in 2013 (secondary both in time and scale), the Conservatives have not made any inroads into those lost voters.

In any case, the main point is that the Con-Lab-LD system is now so far from a zero-sum game that it's barely a system at all - only the limiting fact of FPTP makes it so and with UKIP polling in the mid-teens, that final assumption is at risk should they rise still further. Conventional thinking would say that in the last year of a parliament, there should be a swing back to some sort of balance, implying a move both to the Westminster Three and to the Tories in particular. I'd agree, but we're in unchartered waters and the risk profile of what might happen is far wider than in the past (or alternatively, the old certainties are a lot less certain than they used to be).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Thatcher still gets the blame for Glasgow's ills - though the heavy industry was in decline long before she turned up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27309446

Whoever wins the Referendum in September still has to address these problems in Glasgow. I'm not sure that the touchy feely theatre workshops are enough. Grim reading.
  • Options
    kierankieran Posts: 77
    The most worrying issue for Labour is definitely their now seemingly annual spring swoon. Although you have to think the GE campaign will focus much more on the Labour v Conservative choice which is likely to squeeze the other parties.

Found looking at the YG 'best PM' crosstabs. There is an argument that in the run up to 2015 we will see a similar movement as we saw in Scotland. I'm not sure the data backs that up though. Miliband is in an Iain Greyesque position but Cameron is nowhere near Salmond's level of popularity.

In the latest YG poll Cameron maintains his 35 - 21 lead over Miliband. However from the crosstabs we see the following:

Con VI - Cameron 96 Miliband 0 Clegg 0 DK 4
    Lab VI - Miliband 60 Cameron 5 Clegg 2 DK 32
    LD VI - Clegg 36 Cameron 21 Miliband 9 DK 34
    UKIP VI - Cameron 26 Miliband 5 Clegg 1 DK 68

What this says to me is that Cameron is a definite asset to his party and has the potential to attract some switchers from the other parties but is nowhere near Salmonds popularity levels.

The other thing is the high don't knows. The Tories are planning an Ed is crap campaign. Their problem is a large number of voters agree - they just don't think much more highly of Cameron.

The key groups to my mind are the Labour and UKIP don't knows. Will the Labour don't knows stick with Labour even though they are clearly not that impressed with Miliband? And will the UKIP don't knows be persuadable by the anti-Miliband message?

I'd like to see more forced choice Cameron / Miliband polling of these groups because in a close election they could decide it.
  • Options
    antifrank1antifrank1 Posts: 81
    It appears that Richard Nabavi has kidnapped Peter Oborne and dictated his latest column:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10875277/This-Coalition-can-be-compared-with-our-greatest-governments.html
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    #BritainElects ‏@britainelects 4m
    There are claims on Twitter that a 2,000 strong poll conducted by Loughborough University has taken place re: Newark. Can anyone source?

#BritainElects ‏@britainelects 3m
    The poll puts UKIP in the lead by one point over the Conservatives. However, we cannot find solid evidence that this is an actual poll.

A portent of things to come ?????
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I cannot see a lot of those Labour and Kipper undecideds voting, could be quite a low turnout election next year.
    kieran said:

The most worrying issue for Labour is definitely their now seemingly annual spring swoon. Although you have to think the GE campaign will focus much more on the Labour v Conservative choice which is likely to squeeze the other parties.

Found looking at the YG 'best PM' crosstabs. There is an argument that in the run up to 2015 we will see a similar movement as we saw in Scotland. I'm not sure the data backs that up though. Miliband is in an Iain Greyesque position but Cameron is nowhere near Salmond's level of popularity.

In the latest YG poll Cameron maintains his 35 - 21 lead over Miliband. However from the crosstabs we see the following:

Con VI - Cameron 96 Miliband 0 Clegg 0 DK 4
    Lab VI - Miliband 60 Cameron 5 Clegg 2 DK 32
    LD VI - Clegg 36 Cameron 21 Miliband 9 DK 34
    UKIP VI - Cameron 26 Miliband 5 Clegg 1 DK 68

What this says to me is that Cameron is a definite asset to his party and has the potential to attract some switchers from the other parties but is nowhere near Salmonds popularity levels.

The other thing is the high don't knows. The Tories are planning an Ed is crap campaign. Their problem is a large number of voters agree - they just don't think much more highly of Cameron.

The key groups to my mind are the Labour and UKIP don't knows. Will the Labour don't knows stick with Labour even though they are clearly not that impressed with Miliband? And will the UKIP don't knows be persuadable by the anti-Miliband message?

I'd like to see more forced choice Cameron / Miliband polling of these groups because in a close election they could decide it.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    MikeK said:

#BritainElects ‏@britainelects 4m
    There are claims on Twitter that a 2,000 strong poll conducted by Loughborough University has taken place re: Newark. Can anyone source?

#BritainElects ‏@britainelects 3m
    The poll puts UKIP in the lead by one point over the Conservatives. However, we cannot find solid evidence that this is an actual poll.

A portent of things to come ?????

Yes, I expect we can expect lots more silly twitter rumours over the coming year.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @joeyjonessky: Do you recognise this man? Courtesy @daily_record http://t.co/28gVeBAJaR
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @dr_spyn

"Thatcher" is often used as a metaphor for the loss of jobs, but she was not the actual cause, and a fair proportion of the blame must also be held by the unions. Mismanagement, chronic underinvestment, and an attitude of "The world will buy our stuff.....because they always have" completed the disaster.
    Where Mrs. T and her idiot adviser got it wrong was that the service sector, and a few low employment but high return industries would be all that was needed to make the country rich.
    Britain would become a nation of investors, it instead became a nation of debtors.
  • Options
    The positive case for "Yes":

"The question the Westminster parties now need to answer now is how much they plan to slash Scotland's budget by in the event of a No vote - what are their secret plans to cut Scotland's cash and will they be straight with the people of Scotland before the referendum?

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/277911-opposition-parties-unite-to-call-for-independence-start-up-costs/
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Given that D-Day was delayed by a day due to the weather, perhaps it would have been fitting to bring forward the 70th anniversary events by a day to today, before fronts start to push up the Channel on Friday afternoon.
  • Options
    @OblitusSumMe

Or perhaps the poor weather will reduce the "pomp", and give a more suitable melancholic atmosphere? Those that wish to remember will be there no matter what.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    My impression is that Labour has recovered somewhat since the Euros.

The gap appears to have widened back to where it was at the start of the year...
  • Options
    The YouGov poll scores for the Lib Dems and the Greens that have been published in June are:

Lid Dems = 7, 8, 8, 7
    Greens = 4, 5, 5, 5

Controversy over the fracking/trespass bill may cause a temporary crossover in these scores. I don't think it would have much impact on the Lib Dems - I think they're fairly inured to bad news at this stage - but something to look out for if the issue does receive media prominence.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

The gap appears to have widened back to where it was at the start of the year...

This sort of comment always annoys me.

Someone has gone to a fair bit of trouble to collate all the poll results to calculate a PB polling average for every month back to 2010, and you respond with your "impressions". You could at least look at some of the data that is out there and see if they match up with your "impressions".
  • Options
    @BobaFett - For what it is worth, the average Labour lead in the last four YouGov polls has been 4.5%

In the first four polls of 2014 the average Labour lead was 6.25%

My brief first look at the actual data appears to contradict your "impression"...
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Thatcher still gets the blame for Glasgow's ills - though the heavy industry was in decline long before she turned up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27309446

Whoever wins the Referendum in September still has to address these problems in Glasgow. I'm not sure that the touchy feely theatre workshops are enough. Grim reading.

In fairness, that was the SNP Health Minister, not any of the academics quoted in the article. How much easier to blame someone else than face up to your own responsibilities......
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Are there any odds on Labour polling worse than they did in 2010?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    BobaFett said:

Broadly correct as I've indicated numerous times before the May elections.

Essentially outwith the election period the voters are still in "free hit mode" but with the caveat that slowly, inexorably the Labour lead is being nibbled at.

I expect this narrative will continue throughout the remainder of the year interspersed with the odd crossover polls from time to time.

The real game will be upon us from the new year.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

@BobaFett - For what it is worth, the average Labour lead in the last four YouGov polls has been 4.5%

In the first four polls of 2014 the average Labour lead was 6.25%

My brief first look at the actual data appears to contradict your "impression"...

I think BobaFett is mostly right, though. In the polls immediately before the EP elections the lead was smaller than 4.5%, only it hasn't fully returned to the status quo.
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance

"How much easier to blame someone else than face up to your own responsibilities"

Indeed Carlotta,

"Meritocracy is a myth"
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/meritocracy-is-a-myth-9483779.html
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Millsy said:

What do you mean by polling worse - getting below the 30% on GE10?

• Options

BobaFett said:

Someone has gone to a fair bit of trouble to collate all the poll results to calculate a PB polling average for every month back to 2010, and you respond with your "impressions". You could at least look at some of the data that is out there and see if they match up with your "impressions".
    An unnecessarily venomous response.

My impression is based on the fact that the polls have undoubtably bounced back towards Labour since the Euros.

David fails to emphasise that fact in his piece.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    If I were a Newark voter, I'd be in a quandary. Having only ever voted Labour and LD before, I voted Kipper in the Euros from a combination of NOTA and irritation at the volume of mindless insults directed at them by Mr Smuggins and co.

This a by-election and the volume of insults has moderated, so would I return to the LDs?

Probably not, and it's nothing to do with University fees or broken promises. They seem to have spent half their four years in government obsessing about a weird form of PR that was neither use nor ornament, and the other half banging on about HoL reform. Both subjects to which I'm supremely indifferent. Now they want to reform the EU by being a cheer leader for it.

I can't vote Tory for tribal reasons even though I know they don't really eat babies, and Labour is led by a weirdo schoolboy. Ukip are a party of strange people with no policies, but the other protest party is a group of flat-earthers.

Yet abstaining is a negation of democracy.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900

Millsy said:

What do you mean by polling worse - getting below the 30% on GE10?

Yep
  • Options
    JackW said:

BobaFett said:

Essentially outwith the election period the voters are still in "free hit mode" but with the caveat that slowly, inexorably the Labour lead is being nibbled at.

I expect this narrative will continue throughout the remainder of the year interspersed with the odd crossover polls from time to time.

Indeed true about the "real game".

But what was interesting about the crossover-gasm, when the polls were extremely erratic, was that the Tories completely failed to establish any sort of momentum, and had to rely on Labour subsidence simply to get the odd poll showing a lead of a point or two.

Interspersed with those were polls that had the Tories in the 20s.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited June 2014
    BobaFett said:

Not really! They too have fallen back a bit in the face of advancing UKIP and Greens and have been held up by more LD defections.

Looking at the YouGov 2010 Splits, the LDs in every poll this month to date have split in favour of Labour rather than LD. In May this happened only six times in 21 polls. LD retention is at 28.25 for June down from 33.19 in May and 35.80 for April.

LD defection to Greens is an average of 10.5 in June from 8.14 in May and 5.85 in April. Similarly, Labour to Green is at 2.75 in June from 2.0 in May and 1.1 in April.

Labour retention is at 80.75 in June from 81.67 in May and 83.85 in April and 85.42 in January. Labour defection to UKIP has steadied at around 7.

The Cons are still suffering from UKIPitis since the EUROs, and Con retention is at 72.75 for June down from a May average of 76.05. Con defection to UKIP is 18.5 for June up from an average of 16.10 for May.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    CD13 said:

If I were a Newark voter, I'd be in a quandary. Having only ever voted Labour and LD before, I voted Kipper in the Euros from a combination of NOTA and irritation at the volume of mindless insults directed at them by Mr Smuggins and co.

This a by-election and the volume of insults has moderated, so would I return to the LDs?

Probably not, and it's nothing to do with University fees or broken promises. They seem to have spent half their four years in government obsessing about a weird form of PR that was neither use nor ornament, and the other half banging on about HoL reform. Both subjects to which I'm supremely indifferent. Now they want to reform the EU by being a cheer leader for it.

I can't vote Tory for tribal reasons even though I know they don't really eat babies, and Labour is led by a weirdo schoolboy. Ukip are a party of strange people with no policies, but the other protest party is a group of flat-earthers.

Bus Pass Elvis is the obvious choice
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    CD13 said:

Isn't there a local independent standing, as long as he is reasonably sane you could plump for him.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

My impression is based on the fact that the polls have undoubtably bounced back towards Labour since the Euros.

UKPR has shown a shift from Lab 35/Con 33 to Lab 35/Con 31. One needs more polling from other companies to draw a firm conclusion, though.

• Options

@BobaFett - For what it is worth, the average Labour lead in the last four YouGov polls has been 4.5%...

And the pre-Euros lead in May was +2.3%.....

So yes, Labour has bounced back, not to where it was at the start of the year, but 2 points is I am sure a welcome shift.....

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    BobaFett said:

JackW said:

BobaFett said:

But what was interesting about the crossover-gasm, when the polls were extremely erratic, was that the Tories completely failed to establish any sort of momentum, and had to rely on Labour subsidence simply to get the odd poll showing a lead of a point or two.

BaF

sorry to hear work was giving you a tough time over the last few weeks. I've been through a few of those myself, so I hope it picks up and things work out for you.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

JackW said:

BobaFett said:

BaF

sorry to hear work was giving you a tough time over the last few weeks. I've been through a few of those myself, so I hope it picks up and things work out for you.
    Thanks Alan - appreciated. It's completely turbulent at the moment. I could take it if it were just me, but I'm the main breadwinner and feeling the pressure.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    BobaFett said:

JackW said:

BobaFett said:

I'm unsurprised that we've had a period of erratic polling as the confluence of "free hit mode", relevant local elections, unimportant Euro elections and Faragasm have collided. In such a febrile atmosphere Tory momentum was most unlikely.

The polls will eventually settle as voters turn their attention to a whole variety of the usual Summer distractions, however nibble, nibble .... nibble nibble.

• Options
    Financier said:

BobaFett said:

Not really! They too have fallen back a bit in the face of advancing UKIP and Greens and have been held up by more LD defections.

Looking at the YouGov 2010 Splits, the LDs in every poll this month to date have split in favour of Labour rather than LD. In May this happened only six times in 21 polls. LD retention is at 28.25 for June down from 33.19 in May and 35.80 for April.

LD defection to Greens is an average of 10.5 in June from 8.14 in May and 5.85 in April. Similarly, Labour to Green is at 2.75 in June from 2.0 in May and 1.1 in April.

Labour retention is at 80.75 in June from 81.67 in May and 83.85 in April and 85.42 in January. Labour defection to UKIP has steadied at around 7.

The Cons are still suffering from UKIPitis since the EUROs, and Con retention is at 72.75 for June down from a May average of 76.05. Con defection to UKIP is 18.5 for June up from an average of 16.10 for May.
    I stand by what I said.

My distinct impression is that the polling has become more favourable to Labour since the Euros.

That is not to say it is great, but there does seem to be a widening of the gap back towards where it was at the start of the year.

It's a very recent development admittedly, so more polls needed.
  • Options

@BobaFett - For what it is worth, the average Labour lead in the last four YouGov polls has been 4.5%...

So yes, Labour has bounced back, not to where it was at the start of the year, but 2 points is I am sure a welcome shift.....

Yes, you are right.

It's not a massive shift but there does seem to have been an easing of the position.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    CD13 said:

Baggaley would be your obvious choice.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    edited June 2014
    Good morning, everyone.

Seems the leftwing parties have been having a little chat: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27708375

"But one member of the group admits at least that the parties' common ground on the European Union was discussed.

The group was brought together for a discussion because of "mutual concern over Europe", BBC Newsnight has been told. And the programme understands a wider range of issues was discussed."

Edited extra bit:
    "The Liberal Democrats would again, it's understood, begin talks first with the party with the largest number of seats, in the event of no party having an overall majority."

Interesting perspective for a party so into PR. Wasn't their line last time that most votes determined who they'd speak to?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

Good morning, everyone.

Seems the leftwing parties have been having a little chat: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27708375

"But one member of the group admits at least that the parties' common ground on the European Union was discussed.

The group was brought together for a discussion because of "mutual concern over Europe", BBC Newsnight has been told. And the programme understands a wider range of issues was discussed."

Edited extra bit:
    "The Liberal Democrats would again, it's understood, begin talks first with the party with the largest number of seats, in the event of no party having an overall majority."

Interesting perspective for a party so into PR. Wasn't their line last time that most votes determined who they'd speak to?

All about the seats now for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer

I hope they are not considering the joint ticket option that was slipped in along with the five year parliament bill.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    While the first half of the coalition had a lot of wrangling over AV, HOL reform and boundaries, I do not see that as a fair description of the last two years of LD government.

The LDs are rather all over the place at present, but are still the party where fruitcake is served but not as the main dish. Come over to the dark side, and let your inner sandals and beard show!
    CD13 said:

• Options
    Mr Dancer, morning, I think the last time it was seats and votes.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    CD13 said:

You do realise that the only party you don't have a good reason for not voting for is the Tories.

What are these "tribal" reasons?
  • Options
    F1: Ladbrokes have suspended Perez's odds to be winner without Rosberg/Hamilton. Bit surprised it's still suspended given the suspension came in yesterday afternoon...
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
  • Options
    Mr. Smarmeron, the Lib Dems and Labour? Can't see it happening.

The Lib Dems are already stretching credulity by their idiotic differentiation strategy whilst at the same time trying to claim credit for all the lovely things the Coalition did. A joint ticket might tempt some, but would also prompt the obvious question: Why did you form a coalition with one party and then run on a joint ticket with another.

If you mean UKIP and the Conservatives, that'll never happen. It'd harm both parties.
  • Options
    I think the LD's are trying to position themselves so that they can exclude working with the Tories for another term but can't come out and say it as it sounds biased. It is.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Thanks for the advice about voting.

Charles, you have to be brought in a Tories = bosses environment to appreciate the tribal nature. Think ... Dennis Skinner.

Dr Fox, Charlie had an appreciation of what was important (not just the whisky bottle) but Nick seizes on ephemera.

An combination of the Badger (sorry, Malcolm), Beaker and a bit of an oddball Kipper would be about right.

They all have faults but that makes them human.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Good morning.

Iirc last time they said "largest party" and were conspicuously vague about quite what that meant.....

Since then the question on FPTP vs AV has been put, so opting for "most seats" would acknowledge the will of the people.....
  • Options
    Mr. Rog, what's the point?

Even if you're a sandal-wearing, beard-owning, rocket sandwich-eating hater of the baby-eaters, you don't need any sort of pre-election positioning nonsense.

Blues aren't in a position to form a government, even with coalition = no deal

Blues are in a position to form a government, with coalition = make an obnoxious demand or refuse a referendum on the EU

Blues get a majority = no deal

Masterly inactivity is a bit of a piss-taking phrase, but there are times when you don't need to anything.
  • Options
    @CD13

There seems to be a lack of anti role models for people who favour these silly names for politicians.

Both Danny Alexander and Ed Miliband are called Beaker. I always thought Ed was Wallace.

Perhaps we should get away from childish name calling and instead assess these leaders on their policies.
  • Options

Mr. Smarmeron, the Lib Dems and Labour? Can't see it happening.

The Lib Dems are already stretching credulity by their idiotic differentiation strategy whilst at the same time trying to claim credit for all the lovely things the Coalition did. A joint ticket might tempt some, but would also prompt the obvious question: Why did you form a coalition with one party and then run on a joint ticket with another.

If you mean UKIP and the Conservatives, that'll never happen. It'd harm both parties.

I think that's a very good analysis.

I cannot understand the Liberals' thinking here.

If I were them, I would look to pull the plug in the autumn and hope that they get a small differentiation bounce.

But they won't. I think the phrase is: "put up or shut up".
  • Options

Even if you're a sandal-wearing, beard-owning, rocket sandwich-eating hater of the baby-eaters, you don't need any sort of pre-election positioning nonsense.

Blues are in a position to form a government, with coalition = make an obnoxious demand or refuse a referendum on the EU

Masterly inactivity is a bit of a piss-taking phrase, but there are times when you don't need to anything.

It may be a ploy to tempt back the LD-> Lab switchers. "You can come back, we won't play with the naughty boys again." Sort of thing.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

It was totally uncalled for on my part and I apologise.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

It may be a ploy to tempt back the LD-> Lab switchers. "You can come back, we won't play with the naughty boys again." Sort of thing.
    Hell hath no fury.......

• Options
    @Morris_Dancer
    I have no idea what the change was, or what it was supposed to do, I only heard about it from a Conservative on the night of the Euro results. Though I am pretty sure that it was not originally meant as a Tory/Ukip thing.

• Options

So Labour may have made up more than half of the lead that they lost. It's not a bad start to the summer for them, certainly.

Thanks for looking up the comparable figures.
  • Options
    Mr. Rog, perhaps, but I doubt it'll work for the Popular Front of Judea.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited June 2014
    CD13 said:

Although I would obviously love you to vote UKIP I would suggest that the claim that "abstaining is a negation of democracy" is not correct. If you chose not to go to the polling booth at all I would agree with you. But if you genuinely don't want to vote for any of the individuals standing then I think turning up and spoiling your paper is a positive expression of support for the democratic process whilst expressing rejection of all of the candidates.

I know this is only a hypothetical you are discussing but personally that would be my move.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044
    JohnLooney Almost a case of 'so bad its good!'
  • Options
    The year-on-year changes for May are interesting.

Labour 33.7% (-2.1)
    Conservative 31.3% (+2.2)
    UKIP 15.1% (-1.2)
    Lib Dem 9.5% (no change)
    Implied Others 10.4% (+1.1)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Monster Raving Loony ‏@Official_MRLP 2m
    Newark Castle will be developed into an intergalactic space port. #newarkbyelection #Manicfesto

Awesome, - what a shame I don't live in Newark...!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Thanks for the advice about voting.

Charles, you have to be brought in a Tories = bosses environment to appreciate the tribal nature. Think ... Dennis Skinner.

Dr Fox, Charlie had an appreciation of what was important (not just the whisky bottle) but Nick seizes on ephemera.

An combination of the Badger (sorry, Malcolm), Beaker and a bit of an oddball Kipper would be about right.

They all have faults but that makes them human.

@cd13

Thank you for that frank summary.

Just two points: most of us need to focus on what is required for the future and not so much on the past - that is why great civilisations/empires/tribes get fat and lazy, look inward and eventually fail and disintegrate. However, we do have to be sure that whosoever we choose does not repeat the mistakes of the past but learn for their errors.

Also if there are no bosses there are no employees. Thus there is either total self-employment (e.g a subsistence economy - but even there those with special skills specialised (e.g. flint knapping) or a totalitarian economy where personal freedom tends to be minimised.

Personally, most of western Europe is in a deep sink hole that is growing (much more slowly but still growing) and I do not see a way out for all its people. We are losing the technological race with our cheaper and more efficient Asian neighbours and unless there is a severe turnaround (smaller state, more community self-support and far better education) then only the few will survive and improve their lot this side of 2050. Unfortunately I do not see our political system having the required degrees of freedom to allow that to happen.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

No problem. I think the problem with the thread article is that it doesn't pick up on a series of recent polls that show Labour recovering somewhat. That is a very recent trend but needs monitoring.
  • Options
    Good to see that despite coming out for "Yes" the Herald is continuing to report news critical of the SNP:

Councils warn SNP childcare policy cannot be delivered

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/councils-warn-snp-childcare-policy-cannot-be-delivered.24410203
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Good morning everyone,

Given that it's Eck's half hour day I thought it would be rude to just lurk and drink my coffee peacefully.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

No problem. I think the problem with the thread article is that it doesn't pick up on a series of recent polls that show Labour recovering somewhat. That is a very recent trend but needs monitoring.
    No doubt the immediate trend is slightly to Labour and agin the Tories. I think Newark today will dictate the course of the next few weeks, If UKIP take it, I'd expect them to rise and Labours lead to increase a little, the opposite effect if the Tories hold on and the UKIP bubble deflates a bit
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Labour may be 'recovering' in some recent polls, but theres a danger there. Most of the time the great british public aren't tuned into politics, and they probably only marginally did for the euro's.

Now they're probably reverting to their 'default' position largely, but that won't be the case for the general election.

In short, when the public start thinking politics, at least for the euro's they didn't think much of labour.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Labour may be 'recovering' in some recent polls, but theres a danger there. Most of the time the great british public aren't tuned into politics, and they probably only marginally did for the euro's.

Now they're probably reverting to their 'default' position largely, but that won't be the case for the general election.

In short, when the public start thinking politics, at least for the euro's they didn't think much of labour.
    True. But nor did they think much of the Tories! See my post below about this.
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    BobaFett said:

@CD13

There seems to be a lack of anti role models for people who favour these silly names for politicians.

Both Danny Alexander and Ed Miliband are called Beaker. I always thought Ed was Wallace.

Perhaps we should get away from childish name calling and instead assess these leaders on their policies.

You mean like Weird Ed, the party leader with weird policies.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

True. But nor did they think much of the Tories! See my post below about this.
    Well, if it comes down to a race to the bottom, the electorate will probably stick the course, and elect a handful of Kippers ready for a 2020 revolution should things deteriorate.
  • Options
    @Slackbladder

The Euros are a separate case. They seem too remote for the majority to bother with, and many of the people who did vote. did so with less tribalism than they would at a GE.
    Much the same can be said for the Newark by election.
    The result will not make much difference to anyone except UKIP, and it is only for eleven months anyway.
    What it has done though is to throw the polls about, and the distortions will take time to smooth out
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350

Well, the point of being overtly pro-Labour would be to hang on to their anti-Tory vote. For whatever reason, the LibDems just aren't getting significant Tory tactical support. If they also don't get Labour tactical support in their key seats, they really are stuffed.

I'm not especially in favour - my chances are optimised if the LibDems say the Coalition is wonderful. But as a LibDem I'd reckon some pretty broad Labour-friendly hints were wise.

FPT as it's undoubtedly going to come up in the coming weeks:

Dan Hannan has successfully persuaded the far-right Danish People's Party to switch from the nationalist EFP (where they sit with UKIP) to the Tory EPP. It's said (source: Danish Conservative newspaper Berlingske Tidende) that Cameron is not pleased, because the Tories have previously attacked UKIP over linking with the DFP. Tactically it's a coup for the EPP as it makes it more likely that they'll get full faction status (more money and seats on committees). Strategically it's going to be a bit awkward.
    [HYUFD notes that they're trying to get the German AfD as well. They are not as far-right - they're anti-Euro but pro-EU, and basically a small business party. But they are utterly detested by Merkel as they mainly drain votes from the CDU, so it's directly contrary to Cameron's strategy to cuddle up to her.]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The news that the ECB may today reduce interest rates to as low as 0.1% and even below zero for deposits shows the still unhealthy state of the European economy.

Yesterday, I had my monthly call with one of Germany's industrial giants (they gave us two large orders), and was told that most of their prospective European capital projects are on hold and have been so for some time and new business is coming from Africa and Asia where price is very competitive.
  • Options
    Is Newark Cleggs continuity SDP moment?
    Can they come 7th behind the Bus Pass Elvis dude?
  • Options

They aren't going to call it quits whatever the result.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

They aren't going to call it quits whatever the result.

Oh not at all, but it might just be the catalyst for a complete meltdown and Lib Dem MPs on a tandem come GE night.
  • Options
    Mr. Financier, it's almost as if the single currency was, is, and ever will be a crackers idea.

There was a piece on the news last night about different member states wanting different interest rates. Rather obvious, but they never seemed to consider that possibility a decade or so ago (and we had clowns like Huhne here claiming we should join).
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited June 2014
    I am reading this right? , Today we are giving advice on CD13 on how to vote in the Newark by election when he does not live there? How very PB!!
  • Options
    The lower the Lib Dems sink and the fewer seats they can defend the greater the likelihood of the 2015 result being a choice of weak rainbow coalition with mass horse trading or (gulp) national government under Cameron and the total shattering of the establishment by 2020.
    I love wild theories.
  • Options
    LogicalSongLogicalSong Posts: 120

Labour got 1.7% and 2% in by-elections in the 90s and I believe they persevered.

• Options

Mr. Financier, it's almost as if the single currency was, is, and ever will be a crackers idea.

There was a piece on the news last night about different member states wanting different interest rates. Rather obvious, but they never seemed to consider that possibility a decade or so ago (and we had clowns like Huhne here claiming we should join).

So, national currencies in the same denominations! Lol, idiots
  • Options

Labour got 1.7% and 2% in by-elections in the 90s and I believe they persevered.

They were somewhat stronger nationally at the time iirc, 60% in the polls? ;-)
  • Options
    Mr Dancer, the trouble was that they didn't work out that that which converges can also diverge subsequently. That and they fudged the criteria. Shoehorning the economies together into a single currency is the most mental aspect of the EU.
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, second most mental.

The most mental aspect is that they're going for more integration, with banking and the beginnings of fiscal union. They're trying to put out a fire using petrol.
This discussion has been closed.