Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This Daily Express WH2020 “poll” is not what it seems – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2020 in General
This Daily Express WH2020 “poll” is not what it seems – politicalbetting.com

Daily Express readers give their backing to the racist pussy grabberhttps://t.co/G0SLKkOpwJ

Read the full story here

Comments

• bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,722
    edited October 2020
    1st like Biden
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,722
    edited October 2020
    2nd like Biden after SCOTUS decides Trump can steal the Election
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

The lengths Tories will go to defend Johnson.

Flip Johnson and Corbyn and we know what the response would be.

The 'would you defend x if your opponent did it?' Is a pretty good general indicator of reasonableness.

Certainly its one practically all politicians would fail, one of the instances where internet commentators are likely to be more reasonable (not that it need be many, but it least happens)
    You mean that striking the right balance between the number of deaths from a pandemic and the cost to the economy of shutting things down, is way more difficult for those who actually have to make those decisions? :open_mouth:
    Crazy i know. And I recall quite a bit of comment about needing to apply judgement not just accept the judgement of the advisers. Such calls that are made may still be wrong and to be criticised, but the point was well made month ago that there will be judgments made on various options.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited October 2020
    4th like the number of pints between my starter and my main course.
    Ah, pussygate, that takes me back.

I assume that's what they called the pussy grabby revelation anyway. I think these days they'd call it Tuesday.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    dixiedean said:

Still haven't got my head around the lowest tier being medium.
    Not vital, but.

Yeah it would have been good to have a low risk category but just not use it.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2020
    This is the problem with having different rules in different areas...all of a sudden everybody is an expert in transmission and it is never their venue.

Gym chain Pure Gym has said it is considering legal action over the British government's decision to close gyms and fitness centres in the Liverpool area as part of the city being placed in the "very high" level of risk.

Humphrey Cobbold, chief executive of the company, said the group was "extremely disappointed" about the move, which will force it to close seven sites in the Liverpool City Region. He said there was "no evidence of Covid-19 transmission in gyms" and called on the government to publish the data on it.

----

Andy Burnham in the same interview yesterday argued managed to argue that restaurants were responsible for the spread under eat out to help out, but also must remain open because he had data to show they weren't a significant transmission vector.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    You can have both a negative view of Trump, and say that you'd vote for him. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Obvious fake poll is obvious though.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Still haven't got my head around the lowest tier being medium.
    Not vital, but.

Yeah it would have been good to have a low risk category but just not use it.
    At the very least as an incentive to comply and as summat to look forward to.
  • More areas should have had pubs and bars closed by the government during Monday's announcement of a new three-tier system of restrictions in England, Labour's Jonathan Ashworth has said.

----

But the Labour Metro Mayors have been arguing the opposite.
    Express headline total distortion shock!!
  • isamisam Posts: 40,728

This is the problem with having different rules in different areas...all of a sudden everybody is an expert in transmission and it is never their venue.

Gym chain Pure Gym has said it is considering legal action over the British government's decision to close gyms and fitness centres in the Liverpool area as part of the city being placed in the "very high" level of risk.

Humphrey Cobbold, chief executive of the company, said the group was "extremely disappointed" about the move, which will force it to close seven sites in the Liverpool City Region. He said there was "no evidence of Covid-19 transmission in gyms" and called on the government to publish the data on it.

People not exercising, and therefore getting fat, is going to be another Covid worry. It's easy to lose weight/keep trim in the summer - it's just dawned on me as the rain pours how often I run inside on the treadmill down the gym during the winter
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited October 2020

More areas should have had pubs and bars closed by the government during Monday's announcement of a new three-tier system of restrictions in England, Labour's Jonathan Ashworth has said.

----

The government can't win, they may as well ignore everyone offering "advice".
  • isam said:

People not exercising, and therefore getting fat, is going to be another Covid worry. It's easy to lose weight/keep trim in the summer - it's just dawned on me as the rain pours how often I run inside on the treadmill down the gym during the winter
    Certainly true. I haven't trained for a couple of weeks because the weather has been shitty (and laziness). I am waiting on delivery of a BikeErg to punish myself through the winter.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    This is what a socially distanced crowd in a stadium looks like - from the weekend's Grand Prix in Germany. Stadium maybe 25% full, arranged in clusters of 6-8 people. The fans were bought into the stand in seat order, and had to stay in place for the whole event with no re-admission.
    edited October 2020
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1315988674434269184

OHIO
    Trump 49% (-1)
    Biden 46% (+1)

GEORGIA
    Trump 49% (+1)
    Biden 47% (+1)

TEXAS
    Trump 49% (+3)
    Biden 47% (+1)

kle4 said:

The lengths Tories will go to defend Johnson.

Flip Johnson and Corbyn and we know what the response would be.

The 'would you defend x if your opponent did it?' Is a pretty good general indicator of reasonableness.

Certainly its one practically all politicians would fail, one of the instances where internet commentators are likely to be more reasonable (not that it need be many, but it least happens)
    I don't often agree with you and I am sure it's the same for you but you're always logical.
    I agree with you often! But thank you. Its easy to feign logic when I'm a sophisticated algorithm masquerading as a person.

More areas should have had pubs and bars closed by the government during Monday's announcement of a new three-tier system of restrictions in England, Labour's Jonathan Ashworth has said.

----

And we have Tory Mps fulminating at any restrictions and others worried they haven't gone far enough. Street is anti level 2. Tory Essex is asking to go into Tier 2.
    There aren't any good choices, only less bad ones.
    edited October 2020
    dixiedean said:

----

And we have Tory Mps fulminating at any restrictions and others worried they haven't gone far enough. Street is anti level 2. Tory Essex is asking to go into Tier 2.
    It is another reason I am very much of the opinion we just impose a set of nationwide restrictions. And be honest, we can't have zero COVID, there is going to be a level of it, there is going to be some transmission, but these are the consistent long term rules across the country to try and minimize it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,569
    (FPT)
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    The separation and quarantine model I've been banging on about for the last few months is based on what they do in Singapore. A country which is also a highly densley populated, global commercial hub and gateway nation to SE Asia, East Asia and Australia/NZ.

Singapore, to me, is the road not taken.
    It would, of course, be a much larger project here.
    But agreed.
    Maybe, I think it would more likely 20-30 similarly sized projects run by local councils. Going down the centralised route has been a disaster from the start. From the lighthouse labs which are difficult to expand in terms of capacity to the stupid call centre which barely gets in touch with anyone.
    Perhaps.
    But infection is significantly more widespread across communities here, I think, so it would require blanket coverage of testing to be truly effective now.
    That could be managed at local level, but it would have to be done across the whole country.
    Biden is 13 points ahead in today's USC Dornsife daily tracker.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    But what does Princess Di think? Surely Express readers have a right to know!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

dixiedean said:

----

It is another reason I am very much of the opinion we just impose a set of nationwide restrictions. And be honest, we can't have zero COVID, there is going to be a level of it, there is going to be some transmission, but these are the consistent long term rules across the country to try and minimize it.
    The "Medium" tier is the nationwide restrictions, which is why we don't have a "Low" tier yet.

We have nationwide restrictions, with escalating local restrictions to deal with hotspots.

Didn't the much tighter "Go Home and Stay Home" nationwide restrictions in March and April cost something like £30bn a week?
    The US appears less keen on Trump than do Express readers.
    Which some Republicans are beginning to acknowledge -

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/13/trump-allies-amy-coney-barrett-429124
    ...One Republican close to the White House said surveys following the first presidential debate, many of which showed increasingly troublesome numbers for the president among women and senior voters, left him convinced that not only is Trump on track to lose the election, but he could drag a dozen or more GOP candidates down with him.

Another Trump ally who is involved in the president’s 2020 campaign described the past two weeks as “a slow-motion train wreck” and said Barrett’s anticipated confirmation will be “a consolation prize” for conservatives if Democrats regain control of both the White House and the Senate next month.

“I’ve been mapping out paths to 270 electoral votes almost every week since July and it’s gotten to a point now where it's just a depressing exercise,” this person said, adding that cementing a 6-3 conservative majority on the Supreme Court “is more important than ever" given the president's reelection prospects...

Whichever way you look at it, it does not speak well of their respect for the law that they regard packing the Supreme Court for a generation as a ‘consolation prize’.

dixiedean said:

----

It would help if a figure was given. And I know, I know the problems with that, but if x number of infections (or another metric) leads to y restrictions, and below x means we could relax them, then that would at least help folk know where we stand.
  • dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

----

It would help if a figure was given. And I know, I know the problems with that, but if x number of infections (or another metric) leads to y restrictions, and below x means we could relax them, then that would at least help folk know where we stand.
    I think that is fair enough. Isn't that what Germany do?
    Nigelb said:

(FPT)

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    The separation and quarantine model I've been banging on about for the last few months is based on what they do in Singapore. A country which is also a highly densley populated, global commercial hub and gateway nation to SE Asia, East Asia and Australia/NZ.

Singapore, to me, is the road not taken.
    It would, of course, be a much larger project here.
    But agreed.
    Maybe, I think it would more likely 20-30 similarly sized projects run by local councils. Going down the centralised route has been a disaster from the start. From the lighthouse labs which are difficult to expand in terms of capacity to the stupid call centre which barely gets in touch with anyone.
    Perhaps.
    But infection is significantly more widespread across communities here, I think, so it would require blanket coverage of testing to be truly effective now.
    That could be managed at local level, but it would have to be done across the whole country.
    Yes, agreed. It would need to be done across the whole country at the same time and basically mandatory isolation either at home with the tracking wristband or in a hotel.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,600

Now, this tracker notoriously waxes and wanes on a fortnightly cadence, depending how Trumpy or Bidenite that part of the cohort is.

So, I was ready to dismiss your post.

But, I looked it up.

It seems the lead is at a record high (?) and Biden's share is also at a record high (?).

https://election.usc.edu
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    isam said:

I am currently pondering to go or not on one of my usual three cycles per day from indoors looking at the steady rain.

This is going to be a world away from Lockdown 1.0. Then it was glorious weather and people could exercise often (apart from in Wales) and did. I certainly did.

I had the same realisation as you did just now that things are going to get bad and sad and the country will suffer. As much as Covid? Who knows.
    edited October 2020
    While the media get worked up about why the government ignored advice of a 2 week lockdown harder, nobody seems concerned that for instance we aren't doing anything to combat importing more COVID and that most of the country is still free to go booking trips away for Christmas and Easter.

Its like a leaky bucket, only worried about the holes in the bottom, not the hosepipe constantly filling it.
    I was taught that and never question its message.

Wait. .
    State of the Republican party...

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/520723-michigan-sheriff-who-appeared-on-stage-with-militia-members-facing-calls
    A Michigan sheriff is facing calls for his resignation after defending the militia group that allegedly plotted to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) and after it was revealed he shared a stage with one of the plotters at a past event.

Barry County Sheriff Dar Leaf joined William Null, one of the men accused in the plot, at a May 18 anti-lockdown rally, MLive reported.

Last week, after the announcement of the kidnapping plot and the arrest of the alleged organizers, Leaf said in a television interview that “perhaps they were just trying to arrest the governor and not kidnap her."...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited October 2020
    I am not so sure if the Express poll is such a distortion, for example 70% of Express readers voted Leave in the 2016 referendum compared to only 52% of UK voters overall and according to Yougov Leave voters are far more likely to back Trump than Remain voters, even if a plurality but not a majority still support Biden.

If anyone in Briton is going to back Trump it will be Leave voting Express readers

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/study-readers-of-the-sun-express-and-daily-mail-strongly-favoured-brexit-in-eu-referendum/
  • Feel a bit sad about the Daily Express. It was the family paper when I was a kid. Had some very good writers, got the basic news across well, was literate and coherent, circulation about 5 million. It's a pathetic rag now. It's even stretching a point to call it a newspaper. Circulation is about 300,000 and you wonder how money of them are really readers. I only ever see it left on the counter at my local cafe.

• OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Nigelb said:

...One Republican close to the White House said surveys following the first presidential debate, many of which showed increasingly troublesome numbers for the president among women and senior voters, left him convinced that not only is Trump on track to lose the election, but he could drag a dozen or more GOP candidates down with him.

Another Trump ally who is involved in the president’s 2020 campaign described the past two weeks as “a slow-motion train wreck” and said Barrett’s anticipated confirmation will be “a consolation prize” for conservatives if Democrats regain control of both the White House and the Senate next month.

“I’ve been mapping out paths to 270 electoral votes almost every week since July and it’s gotten to a point now where it's just a depressing exercise,” this person said, adding that cementing a 6-3 conservative majority on the Supreme Court “is more important than ever" given the president's reelection prospects...

Whichever way you look at it, it does not speak well of their respect for the law that they regard packing the Supreme Court for a generation as a ‘consolation prize’.

The fact that a party that has won the popular vote for president just once since the 1980s (and only then with the advantage of incumbency) is on the verge of sewing up a 6-3 majority on the Supreme Court is either a damning indictment of the US political system or a tribute to the guile of the Republican party in gaming that system. Either way I think it spells trouble.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

But what does Princess Di think? Surely Express readers have a right to know!

Presently too full of joy at soaring house prices to give a monkeys.
    Morning Consult have an absolutely huge rack of battleground polling out today.

Highlights: Biden ahead in FL, NC, WI and PA; behind in TX, OH and GA.

President: general election Wisconsin
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    1,067 LV Biden
    51%
    44%
    Trump Biden +7

President: general election Texas
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    3,455 LV Biden
    47%
    49%
    Trump Trump +2

President: general election South Carolina
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    903 LV Biden
    42%
    54%
    Trump Trump +12

President: general election Pennsylvania.
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    2,610 LV Biden
    52%
    44%
    Trump Biden +8

President: general election Ohio
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    2,283 LV Biden
    46%
    49%
    Trump Trump +3

President: general election North Carolina
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    1,993 LV Biden
    50%
    46%
    Trump Biden +4

President: general election Minnesota
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    898 LV Biden
    50%
    44%
    Trump Biden +6

President: general election Michigan
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    1,710 LV Biden
    51%
    44%
    Trump Biden +7

President: general election Georgia
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    1,837 LV Biden
    47%
    49%
    Trump Trump +2

President: general election Florida
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    4,785 LV Biden
    51%
    46%
    Trump Biden +5

President: general election Colorado
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    837 LV Biden
    54%
    40%
    Trump Biden +14

President: general election Arizona
    OCT 2-11, 2020
    B/C
    Morning Consult
    1,144 LV Biden
    49%
    46%
    Trump Biden +3
  • isamisam Posts: 40,728
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

I am currently pondering to go or not on one of my usual three cycles per day from indoors looking at the steady rain.

This is going to be a world away from Lockdown 1.0. Then it was glorious weather and people could exercise often (apart from in Wales) and did. I certainly did.

I had the same realisation as you did just now that things are going to get bad and sad and the country will suffer. As much as Covid? Who knows.
    There is so much more to regular gym going than the obvious benefit of improved fitness, especially if you are working from home and live alone. Bit of banter with others (or at least SEEING others!) bright lights when the weather is dreary and the sun sets in mid afternoon... yes, this is going to be a world away from Lockdown 1.0 in areas where gyms and pubs close, no doubt
    edited October 2020

Feel a bit sad about the Daily Express. It was the family paper when I was a kid. Had some very good writers, got the basic news across well, was literate and coherent, circulation about 5 million. It's a pathetic rag now. It's even stretching a point to call it a newspaper. Circulation is about 300,000 and you wonder how money of them are really readers. I only ever see it left on the counter at my local cafe.

Telegraph fall is nearly as bad. Back in the day you can disagree with its right wing stance, but it was a serious paper. Now it is full of nonsense.

Feel a bit sad about the Daily Express. It was the family paper when I was a kid. Had some very good writers, got the basic news across well, was literate and coherent, circulation about 5 million. It's a pathetic rag now. It's even stretching a point to call it a newspaper. Circulation is about 300,000 and you wonder how money of them are really readers. I only ever see it left on the counter at my local cafe.

I was doing up the spare room a few months back, which involved clearing some rubble from an old fireplace that had at some point in my house's life been turned into a small cupboard.

Inside was a copy of the Daily Express from the 1950s, which the bloke doing the original work had used to block up the soot.

I found far more insight on the world's key issues in that edition than in a copy of the same paper that I found on the train last week.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Scott_xP said:

OHIO
    Trump 49% (-1)
    Biden 46% (+1)

GEORGIA
    Trump 49% (+1)
    Biden 47% (+1)

TEXAS
    Trump 49% (+3)
    Biden 47% (+1)
    You are doing God's work.
  • isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

There is so much more to regular gym going than the obvious benefit of improved fitness, especially if you are working from home and live alone. Bit of banter with others (or at least SEEING others!) bright lights when the weather is dreary and the sun sets in mid afternoon... yes, this is going to be a world away from Lockdown 1.0 in areas where gyms and pubs close, no doubt
    Back in the day I could have a very nice afternoon working in the gym cafe, some of their fab coffee and then a workout.
    No, the real problem is that most of us aren’t smart enough to know what Feynman was on about.
    I always liked the Feynman Problem Solving algorithm coined by Murray Gell-Mann.

1. Write down the problem.
    2.Think very hard.
    3.Write down the answer.
    Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

OHIO
    Trump 49% (-1)
    Biden 46% (+1)

GEORGIA
    Trump 49% (+1)
    Biden 47% (+1)

TEXAS
    Trump 49% (+3)
    Biden 47% (+1)
    You are doing God's work.
    In all fairness to @HYUFD he's now updated with the rest of the state polling!!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Nigelb said:

Perhaps Donald can become editor of the Daily Express then if he loses the White House?
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1315991731612143616?s=20

twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1315991204690042880?s=20

twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1315988105552375809?s=20

twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1315988674434269184?s=20

Alright. Let's do this.

Zogby National
    Biden 46% (-)
    Trump 43% (-)

Morning Consult National
    Biden 51% (-)
    Trump 43% (-)

Morning Consult Colorado
    Biden 54% (+5)
    Trump 40% (-3)

Morning Consult Pennsylvania
    Biden 52% (+2)
    Trump 44% (-1)

Morning Consult Michigan
    Biden 51% (-1)
    Trump 44% (+2)

Morning Consult Wisconsin
    Biden 51% (-)
    Trump 44% (+2)

Morning Consult Minnesota
    Biden 50% (+2)
    Trump 44% (-)

Morning Consult Florida
    Biden 51% (+1)
    Trump 46% (+1)

Morning Consult North Carolina
    Biden 50% (+2)
    Trump 46% (-1)

Morning Consult Arizona
    Biden 49% (-)
    Trump 46% (-)
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Now, this tracker notoriously waxes and wanes on a fortnightly cadence, depending how Trumpy or Bidenite that part of the cohort is.

So, I was ready to dismiss your post.

But, I looked it up.

It seems the lead is at a record high (?) and Biden's share is also at a record high (?).

https://election.usc.edu
    That is the 14day sample window though. So that's including responses in September. I think the 7 day, whilst more volatile, is a more useful measure.
    Another FL poll with recent fieldwork out today showing Biden with a lead.

Florida

OCT 9-10, 2020
    B/C
    Florida Atlantic University
    644 LV Biden
    51%
    47%
    Trump Biden +4
  • LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

I get Black Dog about 5pm (ESPECIALLY in winter) - 30-40 minutes hard graft at the gym, with a few chats and waves with regular gym-going friends, followed by a hot shower and a brisk walk home, does wonders for my mental state. Transforms my mood.

Without that, fuck. I seriously wonder.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341

I was doing up the spare room a few months back, which involved clearing some rubble from an old fireplace that had at some point in my house's life been turned into a small cupboard.

Inside was a copy of the Daily Express from the 1950s, which the bloke doing the original work had used to block up the soot.

I found far more insight on the world's key issues in that edition than in a copy of the same paper that I found on the train last week.

Giles. Beachcomber.

• Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,224
    edited October 2020
    @Anabobazina

Thanks Bob. Pretty mixed bag! South Carolina and Ohio are pretty good for The Orange One. Ariz/Min/Mich/Georgia are all pretty much washes in States unlikely to play a crucial role. Colorado/NC/Penn/Wisc are all bad for him, and Florida is a shocker.

I may have to revise my opinion of The Sunshine State as a likely ray of sunlight for him. Perhaps the locals are upset with him orginising a superspreader event in their parish.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    HYUFD said:
    When in trouble, try to reignite the culture wars. Won't work though - people are now worried about bigger things like illness, death, jobs, going to the pub and so on.
  • Alan Shearer joins The Athletic as a columnist.

Time to cancel my subscription.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    LadyG said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

I get Black Dog about 5pm (ESPECIALLY in winter) - 30-40 minutes hard graft at the gym, with a few chats and waves with regular gym-going friends, followed by a hot shower and a brisk walk home, does wonders for my mental state. Transforms my mood.

Looking like a prat in front of your telly isn't quite the same, is it? :D
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

HYUFD said:
    When in trouble, try to reignite the culture wars. Won't work though - people are now worried about bigger things like illness, death, jobs, going to the pub and so on.
    Given it all flared up right in the middle of a pandemic suggests otherwise.
    edited October 2020

Florida

OCT 9-10, 2020
    B/C
    644 LV Biden
    51%
    47%
    Trump Biden +4

That's Trump +2% from 5th October. Looks like a small swing-back to Trump in Florida and the Rust Belt.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    HYUFD said:
    Magnificently mental, even by tory standards.
    edited October 2020

@Anabobazina

Thanks Bob. Pretty mixed bag! South Carolina and Ohio are pretty good for The Orange One. Ariz/Min/Mich/Georgia are all pretty much washes in States unlikely to play a crucial role. Colorado/NC/Penn/Wisc are all bad for him, and Florida is a shocker.

I may have to revise my opinion of The Sunshine State as a likely ray of sunlight for him. Perhaps the locals are upset with him orginising a superspreader event in their parish.

I was looking at placing a bet on Florida last night, where Trumpton is 2.2. That seems like serious value, but I do wonder whether his reputation with seniors might be starting to drag him down there.

As it goes, I didn't make the bet. I will ponder further.

HYUFD said:

Culture Warring is deeply boring and utterly pathetic.
  • LadyG said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Ever thought of getting a real black dog? I recommend Labradors. (Not a Border Collie, unless you can cope with huge amounts of exercise and a creature that is much smarter than you.)
    algarkirk said:

Giles. Beachcomber.

I don't get this – I even googled it and still don't get it!
    HYUFD said:
    So for a small(ish) donation, you can get rid of / save the statue of your choice ?

Excellent wheeze.
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Lance used to love the rain. If it was raining he knew that 80% of the peleton would have mentally given up before they got to the départ réel.

Get out and ride. And always wax the chain on your wet weather bike.

Florida

OCT 9-10, 2020
    B/C
    644 LV Biden
    51%
    47%
    Trump Biden +4

That's Trump +2% from 5th October. Looks like a small swing-back to Trump in Florida and the Rust Belt.
    Is Biden's share u/c with that pollster?
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    So for a small(ish) donation, you can get rid of / save the statue of your choice ?

Excellent wheeze.
    A man's got to eat.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

1950s Express Giles cartoons were a favourite of mine when in short trousers.

Florida

OCT 9-10, 2020
    B/C
    644 LV Biden
    51%
    47%
    Trump Biden +4

Aye
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Perhaps Donald can become editor of the Daily Express then if he loses the White House?
    Won't there be people asking questions about his tax affairs first?
    Crosstabs and other stats nicely presented from this morning's Morning Consult polling megathon.

https://morningconsult.com/form/2020-u-s-election-tracker/#section-5

Florida

OCT 9-10, 2020
    B/C
    644 LV Biden
    51%
    47%
    Trump Biden +4

Aye
    Think he can be fairly happy with that then.

Wasn't there an old PBism, "Watch the share and not the lead" ?

@Anabobazina

Florida is interesting, as it is one of the states which seems to manage its count quite rapidly, so unless there is a Bush/Gore style squeaker, it ought to declare on election night.
    MN and NC are other fast counting states.

PN, WI, MI will all take a while.

(Might be worth making a note of these things if one is going to be punting though election night itself.)

HYUFD said:
    OTOH, maybe permission could be given after a discussion over dinner.

Crosstabs and other stats nicely presented from this morning's Morning Consult polling megathon.

Must say, approvals look dire for Trumpton.
  • @Anabobazina

I was looking at placing a bet on Florida last night, where Trumpton is 2.2. That seems like serious value, but I do wonder whether his reputation with seniors might be starting to drag him down there.

As it goes, I didn't make the bet. I will ponder further.
    It's a State I have pretty much given a miss in my betting. It's quirky. Cuban Americans love Trump (or what they think he represents which is something very different from Castro.) The oldies are their own constituency and of course many are very wealthy indeed.

To me it's the classic example of a place where the polling can easily go wrong. Even with today's polling I reckon it's about an even money shot and I'd want at least 2.2 on either candidate before I chanced any hard-earned.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    HYUFD said:
    If I were a Labour voting Brexiteer I would now be conflicted HY.

Would being a member of Leave.EU mean one can no longer support the Labour Party.

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Lance used to love the rain. If it was raining he knew that 80% of the peleton would have mentally given up before they got to the départ réel.

Yes, but he did have certain pharmaceutical advantages.

algarkirk said:

Giles. Beachcomber.

Beachcomber was a genuinely funny comic writer/satirist. Wasn't Mr Justice Cocklecarrot one of his?. Even as a youth I was amused, and I think, educated.

algarkirk said:

Giles. Beachcomber.

Giles the cartoonist, Beachcomber the whimsical columnist.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beachcomber_(pen_name)
  • https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/13/scotland-new-currency-independence-sterling-euro

A new currency before joining the Euro? Simple - Pound Scots. Like all of the other issues of the pound externally to the UK it would be bound 1:1 to Sterling for the period needed to transition into the Euro. Not that big a deal. How does it work in a small poor country I hear the usual suspects sneer? Ask the Irish, worked for them.
  • Nigelb said:

@Anabobazina

Florida is interesting, as it is one of the states which seems to manage its count quite rapidly, so unless there is a Bush/Gore style squeaker, it ought to declare on election night.
    MN and NC are other fast counting states.

PN, WI, MI will all take a while.

(Might be worth making a note of these things if one is going to be punting though election night itself.)
    Texans could do us all a favor and vote for Biden. We could all go to bed early then.

Must say, approvals look dire for Trumpton.
    The really stand out point of those figures is how incredibly stable they are. Everyone made their mind up about Trump for good or ill some time ago and no one seems to be changing their mind.
  • geoffw said:

1950s Express Giles cartoons were a favourite of mine when in short trousers.

He was one of the all-time great cartoonists (although like many he carried on well past his prime.) He was a pretty difficult character, I believe, but his draughtmanship was first class and his portayal of English domestic life in the fifties and sixties was brilliant.
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Excellent wheeze.
    A man's got to eat.
    I was speculating how much he might want for the Thatcher statue ....
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Yes, but he did have certain pharmaceutical advantages.
    All GC contenders dope. Lance was just more organised and was a hyper responder to oxygen vector doping.
This discussion has been closed.