Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This Daily Express WH2020 “poll” is not what it seems – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,384
    Love the way Barrett gets to pretend she has no idea how she might vote on a future abortion case which comes before the Supreme Court.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/13/amy-coney-barrett-confirmation-hearing-democrats-429172

Does anyone really believe that ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Tories asked Starmer for a plan. He merely reiterated scientists recommendation.

Tories in meltdown 🤷‍♂️

Except SAGE is only viewing this from a health perspective. The government does have to consider the effect on the economy before coming to a decision.
    In fact SAGE is viewing it in terms of tomorrow's problems. This is storing up a lot of serious problems for the future in terms of poverty and mental health as well as social breakdown. Apparently missing a million cancer screenings is no big deal to them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Tories asked Starmer for a plan. He merely reiterated scientists recommendation.

Tories in meltdown 🤷‍♂️

Except SAGE is only viewing this from a health perspective. The government does have to consider the effect on the economy before coming to a decision.
    Things are in a bad state. It’s clearly sadly an option that needs serious consideration.
    Yeah, and I don't doubt it was seriously considered.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

I can see PB Tories are rattled.

Closing down the whole economy on the hope that in three weeks we will have curtailed the virus by 28 days is nonsense

The play here is that Keir is gambling on Boris having to do this anyway in a couple of weeks, and thus following rather than leading.
    And if Boris plan succeeds Starmer will forever be the Labour leader who demanded the closure of the whole UK economy

I can see the GE posters already
    Now there's an opening to lose an audience.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,070

Its smart politics from SKS. Or is it - we know Red Wall Lab > Tory switchers are still backing Shagger. I get that - when you make that kind of leap you might look like a bit of a fool to switch back straight away. Are Red wallers going to back SKS saying stay home - when in a lot of places it seems "normal" still? Or back Shagger still...?

At least Starmer has committed one way or the other. I think it is fairly low risk, but you are right the Red Wall won't like it.

It does seem like the right thing to do politics aside.
    The "red wall" is already in near lockdown. The change would be marginal.
    But they can still bang on about their freedom being eroded by Labour. Johnsonians like doing that.
  • Options

Closing down the whole economy on the hope that in three weeks we will have curtailed the virus by 28 days is nonsense

The play here is that Keir is gambling on Boris having to do this anyway in a couple of weeks, and thus following rather than leading.
    Whether one agrees with it or not (not sure I do), it is good and fairly ruthless politics. It puts the Rudderless One in a massive lose-lose.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Does Starmer want us to do what we did in March? Would he stop the Premier League from playing?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The lockdown should be as long as necessary to get the cases down.

The problem is the strong possibility that more people will die in the long-term from the effects of the lockdown than from Covid-19 itself.
    Why is more people dying from the effects of lockdown than from Covid-19 a problem?
    One is people being killed by our government and the other by an incurable disease. I'd say the latter would be easier for the deceased's loved ones to deal with
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Tories in meltdown 🤷‍♂️

Things are in a bad state. It’s clearly sadly an option that needs serious consideration.
    Yeah, and I don't doubt it was seriously considered.
    If you want serious consideration , I am not confident that this administration is the first place to look.
  • Options
    PB Tories will deny it but the only thing that has worked in the UK was a lockdown. The mistake was coming out too quickly without a proper track and trace system. We can only blame Johnson for that.
  • Options

Breaking

WHO have said to all leaders to stop using lockdowns

Daltrey is a Brexiteer, so not a surprise
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Does Starmer want us to do what we did in March? Would he stop the Premier League from playing?

Popular in Manchester. 😀
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

And if Boris plan succeeds Starmer will forever be the Labour leader who demanded the closure of the whole UK economy

Silly Comment. Boris actually closed the UK.
    All the leaders in the UK acted together and it was the right thing to do then

• Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Tories in meltdown 🤷‍♂️

So just teachers going to work, everything else to close?
  • Options

PB Tories will deny it but the only thing that has worked in the UK was a lockdown. The mistake was coming out too quickly without a proper track and trace system. We can only blame Johnson for that.

Ok think this through for more than two seconds then. What will another lockdown achieve, given that we know there still won't be a properr track, trace and isolate system in place afterwards.
  • Options

So which businesses will have to close?
    All in England
  • Options
    New iPhone shortly.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I am sure in your world everything is going swimmingly at the moment. Move along, Boris’ plans are working. No need to think at all.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    This will age like fine milk when BoZo copies him in a few days...

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1316057760824528901
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

Its smart politics from SKS. Or is it - we know Red Wall Lab > Tory switchers are still backing Shagger. I get that - when you make that kind of leap you might look like a bit of a fool to switch back straight away. Are Red wallers going to back SKS saying stay home - when in a lot of places it seems "normal" still? Or back Shagger still...?

At least Starmer has committed one way or the other. I think it is fairly low risk, but you are right the Red Wall won't like it.

They'll come round to it when the hospitals are full of dying covid patients this Christmas. It'll be far too late then, of course.
    In order for it to be effective it needs Serco Test Trace and Isolate to be turned into world class service or even a bit above average in the next 3 weeks when it hasnt managed that in last 6 months.

What a Tory shitshow
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

£100 bet ?
  • Options
    "The UK was asking to in effect stay part of the EU’s energy single market, the economic value of which was “five times” that of fish, he said."

Only 5?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/katyballs/status/1316058102731608068

Perhaps they need FTTH. What happened to that?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Tories in meltdown 🤷‍♂️

So just teachers going to work, everything else to close?
    I’m not ‘going’ to work now and didn’t in March.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

rkrkrk said:

Well done Keir Starmer. This is leadership.

It's also I suspect (may be wrong - normally am when guessing how things will play politically) smart politics.

Crucially Keir needs to make it clear this short lockdown is to prevent a longer lockdown.

Boris is going to have to go to lockdown at some point, and now he is following Keir. And when Boris' lockdown is longer, Labour can say 'we could have prevented this and we said so at the time'.

Unfortunately, two weeks is probably not long enough now. It would likely have been sufficient if implemented promptly when SAGE said so, but the virus has spread since then. Every day of delay in starting a lockdown adds multiple days to the length of lockdown needed as well as multiple deaths. We should have learned that from March/April.
    Take your point but let's see. The rate of rise is slower than in March/April I think.
    So the delay may not be quite as costly. I note Labour said 2-3 weeks so they gave themselves some room.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Chris Green resigns over lockdown.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Maybe he's in Italy? :D
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

dr_spyn said:

Am I righting thinking that Starmer take only 3 questions from the media?

I thought he looked in a hurry to move away from the microphones.

No, you're not.
    Any idea how many he took? I Know I heard him respond from questions from Peston and Rigby, and one other whose name I missed.
  • Options
    So the Tories go into meltdown when someone dares to suggest a way to clear up the latest mess they have allowed to develop.

If they had showed half as much interest and energy in solving the problem we might not have arrived in the shitshow we find ourselves in again.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867

Does nobody have Fatima on speed dial?
  • Options

And Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster

This was a UK wide decision.

You are aware that Starmer has no say on health in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,851
    At this rate, the deal is going to get done in January or February, as everyone gets fed up with the effects of not having one.
  • Options

Johnson is rattled just like PB Tories!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    edited October 2020
    Andy_JS said:

The problem is the strong possibility that more people will die in the long-term from the effects of the lockdown than from Covid-19 itself.
    You say a strong possibility, but what is that possibility? If the epidemic goes back to the levels we saw in April where there were more than one thousand deaths a day in the UK (which also prevented treatment of other curable diseases), what are the deaths of an even greater magnitude that are triggered only through lockdown?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Which quote from Barnier do you find immature?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited October 2020
    "'Near extinction' of influenza in NZ as numbers drop due to lockdown"

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/sunday/audio/2018767843/near-extinction-of-influenza-in-nz-as-numbers-drop-due-to-lockdown

Is this necessarily a good thing? I'm wondering whether if people don't get flu for a year they won't have any immunity to it the future and it could be more dangerous to them when it does return.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I am sure in your world everything is going swimmingly at the moment. Move along, Boris’ plans are working. No need to think at all.
    Boris has no say in my area, the clue is in my name
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Even Johnson's analogies are crap these days. "Wobbly trolley's" and "dashboard warning lights on a passenger jet".

The man needs to get a grip and start playing at being Prime Minister.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    dixiedean said:

So Johnson has MPs GOING THE OTHER WAY to starmer

Suddenly, I am starting to feel a little sorry for him.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So the Tories go into meltdown when someone dares to suggest a way to clear up the latest mess they have allowed to develop.

If they had showed half as much interest and energy in solving the problem we might not have arrived in the shitshow we find ourselves in again.

To shut every business in England for at least three weeks, and have just teachers working?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That is very good
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Jonathan said:

To shut every business in England for at least three weeks, and have just teachers working?
    You’re good at hyperbole. Reason, not so much.
  • Options

Breaking

Are you referring to this story, based on the Andrew Neill interview? (Google isn't turning up any others.)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-12/world-health-organization-coronavirus-lockdown-advice/12753688

"The WHO's special envoy on COVID-19 said they should not be used as the primary method of control.

Dr Nabarro made the statements in an interview with The Spectator.

"The only time we believe a lockdown in justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources; protect your health workers who are exhausted," Dr Nabarro said.

"But by and large, we'd rather not do it."

So, lockdowns are a bad thing, but needed to buy time if things existing measures aren't working and a country needs to reorganise and regroup.

Because if that is the story you're referring to, maybe "WHO have said to all leaders to stop using lockdowns" is a bit of an oversimplification. Integrity of the record and all that.
  • Options

They'll come round to it when the hospitals are full of dying covid patients this Christmas. It'll be far too late then, of course.
    In order for it to be effective it needs Serco Test Trace and Isolate to be turned into world class service or even a bit above average in the next 3 weeks when it hasnt managed that in last 6 months.

What a Tory shitshow
    France has just abandoned their covid app
  • Options
    edited October 2020

dixiedean said:

So Johnson has MPs GOING THE OTHER WAY to starmer

Suddenly, I am starting to feel a little sorry for him.
    As Centrists love to say regarding the BBC, if you're upsetting both extremes you must be doing something right
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Tories are totally rattled, well done Sir Keir

LOL. Spoke to a self employed lifetime Labour voter today.

He is appalled at the left's lockdown solution. Applauds the Tory right for accepting that we're going to have to live with this virus, and not shutdown the economy.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Even Johnson's analogies are crap these days. "Wobbly trolley's" and "dashboard warning lights on a passenger jet".

The man needs to get a grip and start playing at being Prime Minister.
    P.S. Apols for the rogue apostrophe. Autocorrect, honest!
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Why is more people dying from the effects of lockdown than from Covid-19 a problem?
    Er... isn't the whole idea to stop people dying?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

Because Test Trace and isolate is shit
  • Options

I'll take a guess that there's 250 people on the Parliamentary Estate, all dialled in individually to the same call via an Internet-based (rather than local server-based) conference solution.
  • Options

What a Tory shitshow
    France has just abandoned their covid app
    It'll be interesting to know what went wrong.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Scott_xP said:

That is very good
    Now hold your nerve!
  • Options

He is in a serious negotiation and needs to act accordingly
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ok which businesses will have to shut, did Kier say?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not according to Drakeford's withering rebuke of Johnson yesterday and today.

You are turning back into a Boris fanboi, which is a shame.
  • Options
    Everyone *breathe*. There are no right and wrong answers, and at the moment I don't respect either party playing silly political games.

What we do know is that SAGE wanted stronger measures than were announced yesterday, and on a 3 tier scale immediately said "Very High" top tier isn't enough and an "Extremely High" tier would need to be added. So 4 tiers on a 3 tier scale - plus "Low" makes 5 tiers on a 3 tier scale. Plus local twattery where mayors and MPs get the rules fiddled just for them.

This isn't going to work. Politically or Clinically. So scrapping all of that in favour of simplicity makes sense. And that ultimately is why we will end up back in lockdown. Tier 3 will become Tier 4 and sweep across urban areas with people flaunting the chaos.

And at the end of it SKS saying "I told you". Frankly I don't want him to "win" this game. We need consensus. And we can't get it when spineless morons run the government. If we had a PM who took tough unpopular decisions and stood his ground that would be one thing. Instead Shagger has an 80 seat majority built on sand out of playing cards and the wind is blowing.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

You wanted a plan. You got a plan.

Over to BoJo

On the upside, it would bankrupt the country quicker than the tory plan....so.....
    Starmer talks as if a circuit breaker will resolve covid

And what happens after three weeks
    What is a "circuit breaker" lockdown? All businesses to shut? What happens to students at UNI? What happens to public transport? etc etc
    Circuit breaker is closing businesses across the England for 3 weeks at least while Scotland and Wales continue on a tier basis
    It is a completely mad idea
    Where is SAGE's evidence that a 2 or 3 week break will reduce R sufficiently?

There is none. They want to try this and then.... continue it. Lockdown 2
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    What? Pointing out that Boris bluffs?

:D:D

• Options
    edited October 2020
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

You say a strong possibility, but what is that possibility? If the epidemic goes back to the levels we saw in April where there were more than one thousand deaths a day in the UK (which also prevented treatment of other curable diseases), what are the deaths of an even greater magnitude that are triggered only through lockdown?
    The experts said the maximum number of deaths from Covid-19 would be around 250,000. It's entirely possible that more people than that could die from the effects of a prolonged lockdown, especially if they're not able to have treatment for conditions like cancer.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Bozo with a big majority has ended up as weak as Theresa was without one.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

The NHS app is now full operative and I have used it in cafes and the cinema over the last week, the UK has also tested more per million than every nation on earth bar Israel, Denmark, Luxembourg, Andorra, Iceland and the UAE

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options

He is in a serious negotiation and needs to act accordingly
    He is acting accordingly. He doesn't write the Guardian's headlines.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Yes having three deadlines is somewhat immature
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Who?
  • Options
    So are Labour Mayors "complaining like mad" about restrictions or "fully co-operating" with the government?
  • Options

Breaking

Are you referring to this story, based on the Andrew Neill interview? (Google isn't turning up any others.)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-12/world-health-organization-coronavirus-lockdown-advice/12753688

"The WHO's special envoy on COVID-19 said they should not be used as the primary method of control.

Dr Nabarro made the statements in an interview with The Spectator.

"The only time we believe a lockdown in justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources; protect your health workers who are exhausted," Dr Nabarro said.

"But by and large, we'd rather not do it."

So, lockdowns are a bad thing, but needed to buy time if things existing measures aren't working and a country needs to reorganise and regroup.

Because if that is the story you're referring to, maybe "WHO have said to all leaders to stop using lockdowns" is a bit of an oversimplification. Integrity of the record and all that.
    It was a direct quote by Sky
  • Options

Jonathan said:

And supermarket workers and bus/train drivers and hospital workers and care workers and takeaway workers and delivery drivers and warehouse fulfilment workers and everyone working in the food processing supply chain and port/dock workers and airport workers.

Basically just shitting on the hospitality and non food retail sector because the government hasn't figured out a way to ensure people who test positive are separated from the community.

A two or three week lockdown will achieve the square root of fuck all. I'm actually for it now and for the government to put a 14 or 21 day countdown in place and then shit on Labour and Starmer when it is shown to achieve the square root of fuck all.

The lockdown fascists are back and they are once again sitting comfortably with their office based jobs dictating to the part of the county that doesn't that their livelihoods are expendable.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    Mortimer said:

He is appalled at the left's lockdown solution. Applauds the Tory right for accepting that we're going to have to live with this virus, and not shutdown the economy.
    Unfortunately, and I think it is unfortunate, Starmer is right on the epidemic facts, that doesn't pay any attention to political Left or Right. If we don't take belated and rigorous action now we will see mass death and the economy will be shut down harder. Johnson may be weak and feckless, but he is reasonably intelligent. He knows this.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

And what's her plan? Other than whinging from her comfortable lodgings.
    That's a career, that is..
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Who?
    MP for Bolton West.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1316059811428081664
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ok which businesses will have to shut, did Kier say?
    Good point, the recovery had been going so well up until Starmer's intervention too.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,115

I thought her name was Carrie?

Or had he moved on already?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The way the media were hyping this Starmer announcement up, it was like he was going to call for something truly radical. Instead he is clearly just going to attack the government and say we should follow SAGE.

No he's calling for a two week circuit breaker lockdown.
    That's what I mean. SAGE proposed a 2 week circuit breaker, he is going to say we should do that. I presume he will also attack the government for sending kids back to uni, etc.

However, its pie in the sky if you think 2 week lockdown will solve the problem, it just bumps it down the road a little bit.
    Two weeks is better than nothing - I would support longer personally.
    I actually don't think it is. It kills business, and it gives the public false hope. The reality is if we go down the circuit breaker route, we will more than likely end up doing 2 weeks on, 2 week off for months.
    That's basically what Imperial College said right back at the beginning; the adaptive triggering of supression measures (lockdown) in reponse to rising and falling ICU admission rates.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Bozo with a big majority has ended up as weak as Theresa was without one.

In a strange sense, managing this kind of situation without a majority might be easier because he wouldn't be so exposed to a divergence between his own party and the mainstream consensus.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

So are Labour Mayors "complaining like mad" about restrictions or "fully co-operating" with the government?

My understanding is Labour mayors are bloody furious and suing, and Tory ones are complaining like mad and asking for Cummings to die horribly.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yesterday they were complaining about too many restrictions, yet today Starmer is saying they don't go far enough.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The NHS app is now full operative and I have used it in cafes and the cinema over the last week, the UK has also tested more per million than every nation on earth bar Israel, Denmark, Luxembourg, Andorra, Iceland and the UAE

How many alerts leading to concrete actions to stem the spread of the virus has it achieved?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Who?
    MP for Bolton West.

twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1316059811428081664
    Thank you :+1:
  • Options

Everyone *breathe*. There are no right and wrong answers, and at the moment I don't respect either party playing silly political games.

What we do know is that SAGE wanted stronger measures than were announced yesterday, and on a 3 tier scale immediately said "Very High" top tier isn't enough and an "Extremely High" tier would need to be added. So 4 tiers on a 3 tier scale - plus "Low" makes 5 tiers on a 3 tier scale. Plus local twattery where mayors and MPs get the rules fiddled just for them.

This isn't going to work. Politically or Clinically. So scrapping all of that in favour of simplicity makes sense. And that ultimately is why we will end up back in lockdown. Tier 3 will become Tier 4 and sweep across urban areas with people flaunting the chaos.

And at the end of it SKS saying "I told you". Frankly I don't want him to "win" this game. We need consensus. And we can't get it when spineless morons run the government. If we had a PM who took tough unpopular decisions and stood his ground that would be one thing. Instead Shagger has an 80 seat majority built on sand out of playing cards and the wind is blowing.

The political reason behind my feeling that Starmer has made a rare error of commission here (his last one was the BLM kneel, IMO - he tends to make more errors of ommision) is that down in the South we are in a pretty good position right now. The idea of a two week nationwide circuit breaker, with associated magic money tree costs, in Torridge, for example, would be crackers. Similar in small midland towns, presumably.

These are the sort of places where Labour need to gain ground OR they need the Lib Dems to gain ground. Instead, they're sending voters to the (relatively) sound money economics of the Conservatives yet again.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not according to Drakeford's withering rebuke of Johnson yesterday and today.

You are turning back into a Boris fanboi, which is a shame.
    I am defending a policy that tries to steer a course between health and wealth

My opinion on Boris has not changed
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

How many alerts leading to concrete actions to stem the spread of the virus has it achieved?
    Plenty, you are alerted if anyone is isolating with symptoms who was in a public location you were at the same time
  • Options
    edited October 2020

dixiedean said:

Who?
    Well indeed. He's the MP for Bolton West. Who campaigned for Bolton to be excluded from the GM restrictions. Strongly implied it was all Asians. Then saw cases rocket. Not just amongst Asians. Now thinks restrictions don't work.
    Fails to explain what does.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

My understanding is Labour mayors are bloody furious and suing, and Tory ones are complaining like mad and asking for Cummings to die horribly.
    Although to be fair I think the Tory ones might be prepared to compromise on the 'horribly' bit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Plenty, you are alerted if anyone is isolating with symptoms who was in a public location you were at the same time
    So, how many?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2020
    Andy_JS said:
    Who could have guessed starting with one arm tied behind your back (in terms of the bluetooth tech) was going to make this at best incredibly difficult. But nobody will agree to a South Korean style system in the West.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

You do realise that we need to have much higher usage of the app in order for it to be useful? Do we have official numbers on how many million active users it has?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Although to be fair I think the Tory ones might be prepared to compromise on the 'horribly' bit.
    They’ll settle for him dying slowly instead of horribly as long as he goes quickly?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Mortimer said:

Unfortunately, and I think it is unfortunate, Starmer is right on the epidemic facts, that doesn't pay any attention to political Left or Right. If we don't take belated and rigorous action now we will see mass death and the economy will be shut down harder. Johnson may be weak and feckless, but he is reasonably intelligent. He knows this.
    Nationwide lockdown (however short, and 2 weeks wouldn't be enough IMO) is a nonsense when large parts of the country have almost no cases....
  • Options
    Any government would have struggled to deal with this crisis, and probably would have made the same mistakes.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Who?
    Well indeed. He's the MP for Bolton West. Who campaigned for Bolton to be excluded from the GM restrictions. Strongly implied it was all Asians. Then saw cases rocket. Not just amongst Asians. Now thinks restrictions don't work.
    Fails to explain what does.
    Wasn't that Craig Whittaker?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

You wanted a plan. You got a plan.

Over to BoJo

On the upside, it would bankrupt the country quicker than the tory plan....so.....
    Starmer talks as if a circuit breaker will resolve covid

And what happens after three weeks
    What is a "circuit breaker" lockdown? All businesses to shut? What happens to students at UNI? What happens to public transport? etc etc
    Circuit breaker is closing businesses across the England for 3 weeks at least while Scotland and Wales continue on a tier basis
    It is a completely mad idea
    Where is SAGE's evidence that a 2 or 3 week break will reduce R sufficiently?

And why has Nicola Sturgeon not implemented it

The "2 week circuit breaker proper lockdown" thing has been doing the rounds in Scotland for a good few weeks, never entirely denied by the Scottish Government and discussion of it has leaked at certain moments.

My guess is Sturgeon wanted to do it when SAGE suggested it, but without Boris immediately doing the same for England she couldn't do it purely from the financial side of e.g. furlough or whatever the replacement is/was. So the semi sort of partial shutdown depending on your alcohol license, which didn't really make much sense, was the result. The arguments were all simultaneously "we need to shut places down so people can't congregate, we need to keep places open so lonely people can meet, and we need to balance the effect on the economy". Hence a bit of a hodge-podge of everything.

If the tier stuff had come earlier, with the additional clarity from HMG over what support there is in situations where businesses are being told to close, then the circuit breaker may have already happened.

But either way I think we can safely assume it is coming, it's just a matter of when.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I thought her name was Carrie?

Or had he moved on already?
    Moved on? I can already hear the sombre notes of a violin.
This discussion has been closed.