Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This Daily Express WH2020 “poll” is not what it seems – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2020
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

So are Labour Mayors "complaining like mad" about restrictions or "fully co-operating" with the government?

Yesterday they were complaining about too many restrictions, yet today Starmer is saying they don't go far enough.
    Well Andy Burnham managed to argue with himself an interview yesterday....restaurants are bad because they spread it during eat out to help out, but now must remain open because he has data to suggest they are very low risk....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited October 2020
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The lockdown should be as long as necessary to get the cases down.

The problem is the strong possibility that more people will die in the long-term from the effects of the lockdown than from Covid-19 itself.
    Why is more people dying from the effects of lockdown than from Covid-19 a problem?
    One is people being killed by our government and the other by an incurable disease. I'd say the latter would be easier for the deceased's loved ones to deal with
    Hmm, not sure about that. Covid is not a great way to go. And "lockdown deaths" are harder to define. But that was not really what my question was driving at. It's more about the numbers.

1) 70,000 die from Covid. 100,000 die from Lockdown.

2) 200,000 die from Covid. 50,000 die from Lockdown.

Why is (1) worse? Why is it a problem? I'd say (2) is the bigger problem. Much bigger actually.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So the Tories go into meltdown when someone dares to suggest a way to clear up the latest mess they have allowed to develop.

If they had showed half as much interest and energy in solving the problem we might not have arrived in the shitshow we find ourselves in again.

To think only a couple of weeks ago several of them were applauding the daily stats and suggesting that the rule of six was a stroke of genius. Tbf that was before it came to light that the government had managed to 'mislay' 16k tests.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

So are Labour Mayors "complaining like mad" about restrictions or "fully co-operating" with the government?

My understanding is Labour mayors are bloody furious and suing, and Tory ones are complaining like mad and asking for Cummings to die horribly.
    Although to be fair I think the Tory ones might be prepared to compromise on the 'horribly' bit.
    They’ll settle for him dying slowly instead of horribly as long as he goes quickly?
    Well, Conservatives are famously pragmatic.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Yesterday they were complaining about too many restrictions, yet today Starmer is saying they don't go far enough.
    And the PM is saying they are "fully co-operating".
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Andy_JS said:

Any government would have struggled to deal with this crisis, and probably would have made the same mistakes.

Why hasnt Gemany?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Andy_JS said:
    Who could have guessed starting with one arm tied behind your back (in terms of the bluetooth tech) was going to make this at best incredibly difficult. But nobody will agree to a South Korean style system in the West.
    It would be better if we just ditched the app and concentrated on finding anything that mitigates the impact of the virus. For instance, does Vit.D and Zinc work at all? Even a 25% reduction would be useful. What about enforcing masks everywhere in a public space? What changes to ventilation systems would help?

So many things that could make a difference, if only we knew what worked....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    Andy_JS said:

Any government would have struggled to deal with this crisis, and probably would have made the same mistakes.

I think that is a fair point, however the mixed messaging and dire communication from Government has been shocking.

The mixed messages have negatively influenced public behaviour.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Andy_JS said:
    Who could have guessed starting with one arm tied behind your back (in terms of the bluetooth tech) was going to make this at best incredibly difficult. But nobody will agree to a South Korean style system in the West.
    It would be better if we just ditched the app and concentrated on finding anything that mitigates the impact of the virus. For instance, does Vit.D and Zinc work at all? Even a 25% reduction would be useful. What about enforcing masks everywhere in a public space? What changes to ventilation systems would help?

Well limiting non-essential foreign travel and proper airport testing and quarantine might just be an idea....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

PB Tories will deny it but the only thing that has worked in the UK was a lockdown. The mistake was coming out too quickly without a proper track and trace system. We can only blame Johnson for that.

The NHS app is now full operative and I have used it in cafes and the cinema over the last week, the UK has also tested more per million than every nation on earth bar Israel, Denmark, Luxembourg, Andorra, Iceland and the UAE

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    How many alerts leading to concrete actions to stem the spread of the virus has it achieved?
    Plenty, you are alerted if anyone is isolating with symptoms who was in a public location you were at the same time
    You do realise that we need to have much higher usage of the app in order for it to be useful? Do we have official numbers on how many million active users it has?
    More than 10 million have downloaded it so far

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1310564220140953600?s=20
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The problem is the strong possibility that more people will die in the long-term from the effects of the lockdown than from Covid-19 itself.
    Why is more people dying from the effects of lockdown than from Covid-19 a problem?
    One is people being killed by our government and the other by an incurable disease. I'd say the latter would be easier for the deceased's loved ones to deal with
    Hmm, not sure about that. Covid is not a great way to go. And "lockdown deaths" are harder to define. But that was not really what my question was driving at. It's more about the numbers.

Why is (1) worse? Why is it a problem? I'd say (2) is the bigger problem. Much bigger actually.
    What about

3) 7 people die of Covid, 1 million die from Lockdown

&

4) 2 million die of Covid, 5 die from Lockdown?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Andy_JS said:

The NHS is doing this already and it is actually a world beating response, medically.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    There needs to be a Norway debate. Get rid of Boris. We don’t need his hyper political approach. Find a leader who can see us through this who can work with others.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

ydoethur said:

https://twitter.com/katyballs/status/1316058102731608068

Perhaps they need FTTH. What happened to that?

Maybe he's in Italy? :D
    I thought her name was Carrie?

Or had he moved on already?
    Moved on? I can already hear the sombre notes of a violin.
    On the fiddle has a new meaning now...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

Andy_JS said:

Why hasnt Gemany?
    Because they’re famously brilliant and literal minded.

(I've met a normal merman and a fairly modest German, but I’ve never met a nice South African.)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

PB Tories will deny it but the only thing that has worked in the UK was a lockdown. The mistake was coming out too quickly without a proper track and trace system. We can only blame Johnson for that.

The NHS app is now full operative and I have used it in cafes and the cinema over the last week, the UK has also tested more per million than every nation on earth bar Israel, Denmark, Luxembourg, Andorra, Iceland and the UAE

How many alerts leading to concrete actions to stem the spread of the virus has it achieved?
    Plenty, you are alerted if anyone is isolating with symptoms who was in a public location you were at the same time
    You do realise that we need to have much higher usage of the app in order for it to be useful? Do we have official numbers on how many million active users it has?
    The rule of thumb from other countries is typically less than half the downloads, and I wouldn't even count active users as effective users as I'm sure that in some cases the service probably is not working properly due to all the usual Bluetooth and power management issues.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Why hasnt Gemany?
    Germany and South Korea are the only major exceptions, both highly educated societies, very scientific and with largely compliant populations
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Noooo! Don't start HYUFD on broth again!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Andy_JS said:

We'll never know. However, Johnson's luck's run out. The major offices he has held he reached as a result of being lucky with him opponents (Ken Livingstone's loopiness was beginning to reemerge in 2008 and was on full display in 2012, and enough's been said re Corbyn in 2019) but he's now having to deal with the worst crisis of any post-war prime minister and a half decent opposition. Maybe that's unlucky, but it balances against the luck that got him here.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1310564220140953600?s=20
    It's up to 16m now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

https://twitter.com/katyballs/status/1316058102731608068

Perhaps they need FTTH. What happened to that?

Maybe he's in Italy? :D
    I thought her name was Carrie?

Or had he moved on already?
    Moved on? I can already hear the sombre notes of a violin.
    On the fiddle has a new meaning now...
    I thought that was the CMO, who had to resign after he was caught fiddling with Staatz during lockdown.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

They were complaining about an inadequate financial compensation package
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Why hasnt Gemany?
    Germany and South Korea are the only major exceptions, both highly educated societies, very scientific and with largely compliant populations
    Vietnam, Taiwan.
  • Options
    In HOC Lab abstaining on 10pm lockdown??
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    ydoethur said:

(I've met a normal merman and a fairly modest German, but I’ve never met a nice South African.)

You couldn't get away with broadcasting a song like that now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

The NHS is doing this already and it is actually a world beating response, medically.
    The UK response outside Whitehall is pretty good.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    MaxPB said:

Ok think this through for more than two seconds then. What will another lockdown achieve, given that we know there still won't be a properr track, trace and isolate system in place afterwards.
    I might change my mind tomorrow, but I think I agree that isolating everyone is a distraction from working out how to isolate the infectious.

We've had nearly seven months now of arguing in exhaustive detail over restrictions that apply to the whole population, and government funding for compensation for the same. We'd be in a better place now if we'd had that attention on working out how to isolate the infectious.

I don't want a whole winter of arguing over lockdown restrictions and still not having a system for isolating the infectious.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It was still brilliant. As a lampoon of racism it is absolutely without parallel.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,609

Andy_JS said:

Why hasnt Gemany?
    I meant any UK government.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Serco Test and Trace is woeful Tory Shitshow
  • Options

ydoethur said:

But using the same mind set to explain why some countries have dealt with Covid better than others seems to be fine!

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

The rule of thumb from other countries is typically less than half the downloads, and I wouldn't even count active users as effective users as I'm sure that in some cases the service probably is not working properly due to all the usual Bluetooth and power management issues.
    Also, how many downloaded it because their local pub insisted on it to check in, then immediately switched it off or deleted it?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1310564220140953600?s=20
    That isn't what I asked.
  • Options

Just voted

299 v 82 - majority 217
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ok think this through for more than two seconds then. What will another lockdown achieve, given that we know there still won't be a properr track, trace and isolate system in place afterwards.
    I might change my mind tomorrow, but I think I agree that isolating everyone is a distraction from working out how to isolate the infectious.

We've had nearly seven months now of arguing in exhaustive detail over restrictions that apply to the whole population, and government funding for compensation for the same. We'd be in a better place now if we'd had that attention on working out how to isolate the infectious.

I don't want a whole winter of arguing over lockdown restrictions and still not having a system for isolating the infectious.
    And Sir Keir's big idea is to close pubs in Penzance because there's a busy hospital on Merseyside
  • Options
    299/82 on 10pm Pub Lockdown

Sir Abstainalots troops Abstain
  • Options

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

I bundle cronies like Serco into the central shitshow. I am talking about our scientific research and medical response. The way private companies and front line services adapted is impressive. There is much to be proud of in the UK, our government sadly isn’t up to scratch.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Which means that more than 50 million have not downloaded it so far...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Sandpit said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Also, how many downloaded it because their local pub insisted on it to check in, then immediately switched it off or deleted it?
    How does it work? A few weeks ago (pre app launch) I had to scan a QR code and then fill in a form for a restaurant. I could just as easily have just pretended to scan the QR code and moved on....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Just voted

299 v 82 - majority 217
    Who are those 82?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Er... isn't the whole idea to stop people dying?
    Yep. Health and wealth with the 2nd impacting the 1st.

And it's the total blended outcome that counts. Not measurable, really, but in theory this is right.

Therefore it is not necessarily a problem if more people die from Lockdown than die from Covid.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Noooo! Don't start HYUFD on broth again!
    Broth!!! I forgot broth!!!! ARghhH!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Just voted

299 v 82 - majority 217
    Who are those 82?
    SNP plus odds and sods I would guess.
  • Options
    Flat display iPhone 12 is looking great
  • Options
    God has the new iCrap 12 still got that massive ugly black bar at the top of the phone?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

I bundle cronies like Serco into the central shitshow. I am talking about our scientific research and medical response. The way private companies and front line services adapted is impressive. There is much to be proud of in the UK, our government sadly isn’t up to scratch.
    As with many 'problems' in Britain, the root of it as I see it is that the vast majority of the public want low taxes (for themselves, at least) and high public service provision. A low tax base and a big helping hand when necessary doesn't really happen....

My personal political philosophy is to encourage more saving, more home ownership, and less reliance upon the state. One concern with the current government (even Covid aside) is that it seems to be encouraging more reliance upon the state.
  • Options

God has the new iCrap 12 still got that massive ugly black bar at the top of the phone?

Yes, but under the new regulations it locks at 10pm.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Where are the results? Why are they not on posters and billboards or on the TV or broadcast hourly on radio?
  • Options
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

Well alternatively I suppose we could have automatic 6 month jail sentences for not downloading the NHS app and not wearing a facemask in a public place or breaching the rule of 6
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Just voted

299 v 82 - majority 217
    Who are those 82?
    Sky reporting Conservatives plus some Labour
  • Options
    isam said:
    I never ever thought I would miss Maggie, but I would have her back in a heartbeat, for some decisive action to help us out of this current mess.
  • Options
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Where are the results? Why are they not on posters and billboards or on the TV or broadcast hourly on radio?
    I’ve been thinking of lodging a formal complaint to the ASA about the broadcast on the new regulations.

It says anyone breaking them faces a ten grand fine.

But the Attorney General says if you decide there’s something more important, it doesn’t matter if you break them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Nigelb said:

Love the way Barrett gets to pretend she has no idea how she might vote on a future abortion case which comes before the Supreme Court.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/13/amy-coney-barrett-confirmation-hearing-democrats-429172

Does anyone really believe that ?

I think when they are appointed on an explicitly political basis it just insults everyone's intelligence to pretend that is not the driving factor for the judges, even if they don't believe it themselves. Oh sure, there will be instances where a conservative votes with the liberals or vice versa, people are not automatons and on some issues individuals will surprise, but by and large on divisive political issues, people have a very good chance of guessing the outcome of each one there.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

What about

&

It's partly about optics. Covid deaths are immediate, identifiable, countable and newsworthy. Another 1000 deaths today, and here's the spouse/child of one of them to say Why didn’t the government do more? vs in five years time n people died of cancer today, and statistics suggest that some of them but we don't know which might have lived another 10 years but for the policies of the former Johnson administration.
  • Options

Just voted

299 v 82 - majority 217
    So 250ish abstentions. Wonder where they came from...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe. They might have made some different ones, or avoided a few others. Nothing wrong in holding it to account for mistakes it has made, though the reasonableness of actions it took when it took them, with information known at the time, will make some things that look like obvious mistakes, and may well be mistakes, understandable.
  • Options
    14 Bionic is 5mm @MaxPB
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

What about

&

Both awful but I prefer 3. Pandemic avoided. Cure brutal but "better" than the disease.

You clearly get my point from the way you framed that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Dexamethasone is one, there's another drug in PIII at Southampton and there's a handful of PI candidates with promising results.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well alternatively I suppose we could have automatic 6 month jail sentences for not downloading the NHS app and not wearing a facemask in a public place or breaching the rule of 6
    Around 25% of the population don't have smartphones.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1316068173914034182

Keir was ahead of the curve.

How? No vaccine, 2 weeks circuit breaker does nothing, in fact its worse than doing nothing. No vaccine, we will have to get back to living as normally as possible with this added risk.
  • Options

isam said:
    I never ever thought I would miss Maggie, but I would have her back in a heartbeat, for some decisive action to help us out of this current mess.
    I'm not sure decisiveness is necessarily the issue. Sometimes the gov has been decisive, but people would say the wrong decision was made. Although endless dithering is indeed worse than never making a decision.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Love the way Barrett gets to pretend she has no idea how she might vote on a future abortion case which comes before the Supreme Court.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/13/amy-coney-barrett-confirmation-hearing-democrats-429172

I think when they are appointed on an explicitly political basis it just insults everyone's intelligence to pretend that is not the driving factor for the judges, even if they don't believe it themselves. Oh sure, there will be instances where a conservative votes with the liberals or vice versa, people are not automatons and on some issues individuals will surprise, but by and large on divisive political issues, people have a very good chance of guessing the outcome of each one there.
    No judge in a free society would ever say how they would decide a case the facts and legal arguments of which they have not yet heard. It's absolutely naive of politicians to ask such crass questions. It's not a question of conservative v liberal at all.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What do they have instead, Samsungs?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is possible to live without a mobile phone you know.
  • Options

14 Bionic is 5mm @MaxPB

Yeah TSMC, it's a cheats version of 5nm though, most of the logic is between 7nm and 10nm only the gate is 5nm.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited October 2020

MaxPB said:

How would this actually work though? My household of four decided in March that if I, for instance, caught the virus I would isolate in a room of our house with a bathroom until I was better plus a few days. What do you mean by "isolating the infectious"?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is possible to live without a mobile phone you know.
    Is it? I haven’t tried for 24 years, I wouldn’t know.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

No judge in a free society would ever say how they would decide a case the facts and legal arguments of which they have not yet heard. It's absolutely naive of politicians to ask such crass questions. It's not a question of conservative v liberal at all.

The fact that the process is so political is the critical point, to the point that they do ask those questions because they don't want someone who is simply a good judge, they want a good judge who will definitely do what they want (or not do what they don't want). And the judges all know that. It's not naivity to ask the question, they will get what they want from it - even if they don't get a firm answer, for good reason, they want to feel out enough so they can be sure of the answer when it does come up.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

What about

&

Both awful but I prefer 3. Pandemic avoided. Cure brutal but "better" than the disease.

You clearly get my point from the way you framed that.
    Well yes, but I think you are deliberately making up scenarios that favour your point, whereas Andy's original post assumed a level of understanding from the reader that I think you have, but feign ignorance of.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

MaxPB said:

How would this actually work though? My household of four decided in March that if I, for instance, caught the virus I would isolate in a room of our house with a bathroom until I was better plus a few days. What do you mean by "isolating the infectious"?
    People who can't do that (because their house is more crowded than yours), be sent to an hotel for the duration of their isolation.
  • Options
    Is Boris is talking down a vaccine, I presume that means at the very least the likes of Oxford won't be announcing any conclusions any time soon.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

SKS save 107k lives

twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1316068907778748416/photo/1

Between 3k and 107k....do these scientists want to be taken seriously, because that is just a nonsensical large range for a single action.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Between 3k and 107k? That kind of range makes it very very hard to make a decision, I would think - obviously if anything like the upper estimates are right then you must do it, but if it is the lower end, then the severe economic impacts come into play a lot more.

How do weight the risk with such a wide range?
  • Options

SKS save 107k lives

Between 3k and 100k....do these scientists want to be taken seriously, because that is just a nonsensical large range for a single action.
    I really want to know who actually approves these reports. 3k to 107k is ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

MaxPB said:

People who can't do that (because their house is more crowded than yours), be sent to an hotel for the duration of their isolation.
    Such a person would possibly be infecting others in addition to his family by leaving the home - and who would volunteer to staff such a hotel? Plus - the numbers of rooms that would be needed. This strikes me as an unworkable idea unless new infections were really low.
    Edit: and, of course, who would monitor the ongoing health status of the room occupiers to determine whether medical assistance /hospitalisation was needed? Each person would have to be on 24 hour watch.
  • Options
    ... and they quote Total Goals in this weekend's 10 Premier League Fixtures at 1-88 if anyone fancies a spread bet
  • Options
    And how many hundred thousand or even millions of unemployed will there be with another full national lockdown?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Dexamethasone is one, there's another drug in PIII at Southampton and there's a handful of PI candidates with promising results.
    Well and good. What could be be doing NOW?

Should pubs and restaurants be installing UV lighting? Would it help to segregate pubs? Send the under 30s to one pub and have another for the over 30s? Or 50s? Or whatever?

They decided that masks could slow down Covid. What else would slow it down? Would boil washing clothes and bedding make a difference?

Suppose, for the sake of argument, that Vit D and Zinc made a 10% difference to the R rate. Suppose that masks made a 25% difference. Suppose that UV lighting made a 10% difference. Then all these sorts of things together might halve the R rate. Maybe massive Vit C overdoses in the coughing stage. There seems to be evidence that priming people with a flu jab can help.....

If you combine enough simple stuff, it can make a huge difference. The question is "What simple stuff"?

At the moment all there seems to be is "masks" and 2 metres. Is that really all there is?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Between 3k and 107k? That kind of range makes it very very hard to make a decision, I would think - obviously if anything like the upper estimates are right then you must do it, but if it is the lower end, then the severe economic impacts come into play a lot more.

How do weight the risk with such a wide range?
    It worse than that. If its near 3k, how many extra people are dying because of restricting treatments for other diseases, poverty etc etc etc.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Andy_JS said:

"'Near extinction' of influenza in NZ as numbers drop due to lockdown"

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/sunday/audio/2018767843/near-extinction-of-influenza-in-nz-as-numbers-drop-due-to-lockdown

Is this necessarily a good thing? I'm wondering whether if people don't get flu for a year they won't have any immunity to it the future and it could be more dangerous to them when it does return.

Yes, it’s a good thing.
    And no.
    If you’re worried about not enough people getting flu then just vaccinate them.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well they would have to buy one or if they were on benefits be given one
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    kle4 said:

isam said:
    I'm not sure decisiveness is necessarily the issue. Sometimes the gov has been decisive, but people would say the wrong decision was made. Although endless dithering is indeed worse than never making a decision.
    I'd still choose a scientist over a classicist or a lawyer.
  • Options

SKS save 107k lives

Between 3k and 100k....do these scientists want to be taken seriously, because that is just a nonsensical large range for a single action.
    You said it "does nothing in fact its worse than doing nothing" Nobody takes that comment seriously surely

How about it gives another 3 weeks to improve track trace and isolate? Dido will surely use that wisely

I thought you were a man of science?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SKS save 107k lives

I really want to know who actually approves these reports. 3k to 107k is ridiculous.
    I really am starting to wonder about the quality of some of this advice. The 2 week circuit breaker, you can't measure its impact, what scientist suggests experiments that they can't evaluate.
  • Options

SKS save 107k lives

You said it "does nothing in fact its worse than doing nothing" Nobody takes that comment seriously surely

How about it gives another 3 weeks to improve track trace and isolate? Dido will surely use that wisely

As a man of science he should surely know from previous evidence that this is not going to be the case.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I remember using a mobile phone in about 1988 or 1989, a Vodafone. It was small enough to fit in a coat pocket. They'd become a lot smaller around that time compared to a couple of years earlier when they were massive. The keys would light up and make a beeping sound when you pressed them.
  • Options

SKS save 107k lives

If no vaccine is forthcoming, shutting things down for 2 weeks won't alter the eventual outcome.

Track and trace is fundamentally flawed, because we can't spy on people lives, so it will always be of limited use. You can't do this quickly enough using humans to stop the spread, even at very low levels.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Well and good. What could be be doing NOW?

Should pubs and restaurants be installing UV lighting? Would it help to segregate pubs? Send the under 30s to one pub and have another for the over 30s? Or 50s? Or whatever?

They decided that masks could slow down Covid. What else would slow it down? Would boil washing clothes and bedding make a difference?

Suppose, for the sake of argument, that Vit D and Zinc made a 10% difference to the R rate. Suppose that masks made a 25% difference. Suppose that UV lighting made a 10% difference. Then all these sorts of things together might halve the R rate. Maybe massive Vit C overdoses in the coughing stage. There seems to be evidence that priming people with a flu jab can help.....

If you combine enough simple stuff, it can make a huge difference. The question is "What simple stuff"?

At the moment all there seems to be is "masks" and 2 metres. Is that really all there is?
    Again, a lot of these things are still being evaluated because testing them isn't easy. The Japanese came up with a safe UV light that helps destroy the virus in a very short space of time, it's being considered for use in Japan at ports and airports to sterilise goods and containers.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SKS save 107k lives

Well. 107k by January is beyond absurd. 75 p/d now ish x 10 weeks to go to January.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Nigelb said:
    2020, the year that homo sapiens lost its mind.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited October 2020
    Or 3k with the loss of 1m jobs.

No wonder the government is dithering.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

MaxPB said:

Such a person would possibly be infecting others in addition to his family by leaving the home - and who would volunteer to staff such a hotel? Plus - the numbers of rooms that would be needed. This strikes me as an unworkable idea unless new infections were really low.
    Edit: and, of course, who would monitor the ongoing health status of the room occupiers to determine whether medical assistance /hospitalisation was needed? Each person would have to be on 24 hour watch.
    It's more of an issue in large cities, where adults are living in bunk beds and working hourly paid jobs.
    Transport, monitoring and paying those to isolate are the issues, @MaxPB has made some good comments on this idea in the past few days.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

SKS save 107k lives

I really am starting to wonder about the quality of some of this advice. The 2 week circuit breaker, you can't measure its impact, what scientist suggests experiments that they can't evaluate.
    Yeah if that's the range of the advice then I'm not surprised it was rejected by the Chancellor (probably one of the few cabinet ministers who understands data). 3k to 107k is not the kind of quality evidence that these major decisions should be made from.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    The WHO seem to be flip-flopping all the time as far as their advice is concerned.
This discussion has been closed.